Miles Swelze James Behring Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159011 - 04/07/17 10:26 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Chief]
jamesri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
Hello Chief, hope you are well. I have been around I have not done much buying lately, but I still have the whole collection. I have added a few pieces but only if they are very special in context of the embellished Randall's or the work of Leschorn.

James A. Moscatelli

#159027 - 04/08/17 02:59 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Larry Ducati]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Quote:
Thanks for all the input. I knew I came to the right spot for answers.
The sheath was made by Byrd, and stamped with RMK to deceive?
Since the guesses have stopped, I take it the last post is the consensus opinion? If I understand correctly, reading these posts and the revived "Randall Phony Alert" thread, something about my "26" knife (shape, size, grind, finish) gives clues to the trained eye, that this is 1 of 20 or so knives made from blanks stolen from RMK, and finished off outside the shop by the someone else, (maybe the thief), 10 years ago. A person with skills, equipment, factory training, and other Randall materials to convincingly mimic factory work, by shaping the blade and handle, assembling and finishing the knife, but also altering the knife to a degree that makes it unique.
The logo stamp appears correct, so he must have gotten the blank after that stage, before assembly. A very rare knife indeed, but not a true factory RMK, if true.
On the other hand, comparing it to another small factory RMK, a 4-4, it shows many similarities, and does not look like crap. Like the way the hilt is fitted to the blade and soldered in place. The hilt on the "26" is larger, but I note on photos of Dave Griffin drop points, different size hilts are seen on small knives, so Randall did do this. The spacers and thong installation seem comparable to other Randalls. The handle seems similar to other teardrop Randalls. Looks like it could dance with the 25-5.
Who ever finished this knife was talented- it's better than other handmade knives I've paid more for. Makes sense he might have been an ex employee. Or a real employee, done on the factory line. Don't know which story I wish were true. I should name this knife Occam's Razor. (see photos for examples)

Larry can we please see some good photos of the sheath.
Thanks.

Edited by tunefink (04/08/17 06:53 AM)
RKS#2166

#159041 - 04/08/17 05:21 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Larry Ducati]
Larry Ducati Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Phoenix AZ
The sheath is apparently made by Byrd, and is slightly too long for this knife. Notice that the "Randall Made Knives" is a light strike. The "Orlando, Fla." and the side diamonds are a deeper punch into the leather. The other sheath is a factory 25-5 from 2002.

Attachments
------IMG_3093.jpg

------IMG_3094.jpg

------IMG_3095.jpg

------IMG_3098.jpg

#159065 - 04/09/17 03:17 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Larry Ducati]
Ronnie Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NW Mississippi
Thanks Larry. Yes I would agree without a doubt that this is a sheath made by Floyd Byrd. I hate to see him do this as he makes some fine Sheaths.
RKS#2166

#159297 - 04/13/17 12:50 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Ronnie]
Behring Made Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Missoula, MT, USA
En route to BMK!

Edited by Behring Made (04/13/17 12:50 PM)

#160442 - 05/17/17 10:33 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Larry Ducati]
Larry Ducati Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Phoenix AZ
I received the re-handled Randall in the mail today from Behring Made Knives. Thank you again to Warren for his generous donation of a piece of fossilized walrus ivory. It really made this knife. Through communications with Grant at BMK, me sending him photos of handle shapes, spacer sizes and colors, and ideas of what is practical to do, we agreed on the build. James then ground off the old handle and hilt and built this lovely knife.
My goal was to have a simple design, showing off the quality of the ivory. I thought copper and black in simple even sized spacers, would be be appropriate. I requested a crows beak shaped handle, with a coke bottle swell to the middle of it. They accomplished that perfectly. The guard was to be copper to match the spacers. The shape and size was James' doing, dictated by the handle contour and diameter, and it feels great in hand. It is slightly handle heavy, with the balance point just back of the forefinger. The ivory has a smooth, dense feel to it.
For the sheath I wanted it simple again, no embellishments, fringe, brass, or carving. I requested a high quality black leather Warlander pouch sheath, with copper rivets, to compliment the knife colors. It fits snugly inside, and is stamped on the back with both makers' marks.
I think BMK took a Randall blade that had a dark history, and made it into a one of a kind masterpiece. Thanks to all. What do you think?

Attachments
------IMG_3212.jpg

------IMG_3207.jpg

------IMG_3208.jpg

------IMG_3209.jpg

------IMG_3210.jpg

------IMG_3211.jpg

#160443 - 05/17/17 10:34 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Larry Ducati]
Tracer Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Looking sharp. Those Behring boys...
Webley Collector

#160445 - 05/17/17 11:16 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Tracer]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Another James Gang home run. A real beauty. Congrats!!

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#160447 - 05/18/17 06:09 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: pappy19]
W Polidori Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Came out awesome Larry. You need to post this in the Rehandled Knives thread in BMK forum.

#160449 - 05/18/17 09:55 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Larry Ducati]
GCTom41 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NY
Larry,

Great new life BMK gave to that knife!

Tom Flynn
RKS#5918
RKCC-CM-178
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >