Nifeboy.com Stanback Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#158922 - 04/05/17 09:49 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: W Polidori]
Tattoo Bill Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Spring Hill, Florida
Originally Posted By: W Polidori
Bill,

Didn't some of the show up in Jack Criders green catalog?

Those had standard or slightly longer blade lengths.

One other option that is plausible.....

Could it be one of Dave Griffin's Drop Point knives?

Maybe Scott has some clues?
ta2bill@yahoo.com

#158923 - 04/05/17 10:18 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Tattoo Bill]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: central fl.
Sorry gentleman, but you're all mistaken...this is one of the stolen BLADES knives from the "raspy voice" dude from a few years back...long story...maybe another day...

Scott
RKS #014

HE IS RISEN!, HE IS RISEN INDEED!

#158924 - 04/05/17 10:34 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Dirty_Water]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Rhutt Rhoo!!!!

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#158925 - 04/05/17 10:38 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: RamKingJC]
Tattoo Bill Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Spring Hill, Florida
Thank you Scott. Another mystery solved!
ta2bill@yahoo.com

#158926 - 04/05/17 10:57 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Tattoo Bill]
rfcarlin Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: New York
For all of us relative 'newbies' on the scene, please don't leave us hanging. Inquiring minds want to know.

What's the deal with "the stolen BLADE knives from the "raspy voice" dude a few years back"? Can we get at least a capsule summary of the situation?

Is the pictured knife a genuine RMK shop-made knife? Is it a fake? Is it an altered shop-made knife? How it is identified as one of "the stolen BLADE knives from the raspy voice dude"? What model is it (or what model is it supposed to be)? To my relatively inexperienced eye, it looks more like a scaled-down Model 26 than anything else.

Thanks.

Bob
RKCC #622

#158927 - 04/05/17 11:07 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Dirty_Water]
JE6245 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tallahassee FL
Originally Posted By: Dirty_Water
Sorry gentleman, but you're all mistaken...this is one of the stolen BLADES knives from the "raspy voice" dude from a few years back...long story...maybe another day...

I figured this thread could get interesting but had no idea it would be THIS interesting. Carry on men. ;-)

“If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.” – Yogi Berra

Me 2020

#158928 - 04/05/17 11:12 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: JE6245]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I want to caution using the terms "fake" and "altered" interchangeably. They are two distinct animals.

Fakes are readily identifiable as is the knife Tune posted.

Altered can sometimes throw a curve ball as this one did until DW chimed in.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#158929 - 04/05/17 11:17 AM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: crutchtip]
Captain Chris Stanaback Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
The sheath appears correct...and Scott is also. I almost held this dude at my table, many moons ago, long enough to get the "Law-Dogs" to question him. He was walking around a Lakeland gun show with about 20 altered RMK's on a bandalero belt, over one shoulder! Many were Model #14's, #15's, etc. and all of those sheaths were fake, i.e. having not been made by Sullivans or Johnson. They had the correct-looking sheath "stamp" but not correct leather. It should be noted that I have downloaded these pics to my computer for a better look.
This guy did, indeed, have a very raspy voice. He was short and heavy set, wearing large Rx glasses, highly magnified. He was buddies with Charlie Scannapeico and, after the Lakeland encounter, he submerged...not to be seen again!
Caveat Emptor,
Capt. Chris
PS: I'm back...but swamped...CCS

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (04/05/17 11:45 AM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#158934 - 04/05/17 02:13 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Larry Ducati Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Phoenix AZ
Thanks for the info so far. More photos attached. The blade is only 7/8 inch at its widest, 3/16 stock. Handle length, including the spacer, is 3 13/16.
It doesn't have the blade width of the 11 3 1/4, and the stamp on the blade is straight not angled. Handle length and stated sheath don't match.
It has a drop point, unlike the GTR.
The grind differs from the Dave Griffin photos I can see online. His sheath maker seams to be the same as mine. My sheath has no "R", and has Fla. in the stamp. My blade is stamped with Fl.
I bought it from a gun dealer's table at a gun show in Phoenix. I am happy to entertain that it may be altered, or mismatched to the sheath. But, I have lots of other Randalls, purchased directly from RMK, and the fit and finish of this one appear just as finely done and original as any. It doesn't appear altered, and why would someone alter one?
Happy to show it to anyone more knowledgeable than me in the Phoenix area if interested.

Attachments
------IMG_3065.jpg

------IMG_3061.jpg

#158935 - 04/05/17 02:24 PM Re: Help Identify Randall Model [Re: Larry Ducati]
Dirty_Water Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: central fl.
Stolen blade, done outside the shop, MAYBE from former employee, looks like crap when next to one directly from the shop...sheath most likely done with the same equipment as your original because their the SAME machines, a little BYRDie did it...

Scott
RKS #014

HE IS RISEN!, HE IS RISEN INDEED!

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod