Randall Made Knife
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 143 of 170 < 1 2 ... 141 142 143 144 145 ... 169 170 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#157047 - 02/22/17 09:11 AM Re: This Old Randall * [Re: tunefink]
Nevinator Offline
Just dropped in

Loc: Conroe, TX
Hi Y'all. I'm new to the forum and would like to share with you some pics and details about a Randall Made knife that's been in my family since the early 1940's. It is a Randall Made Model 1.

I've attached a link at the end of this post to my shared Dropbox folder with some photos.

Background: My father was a US Marine Corps. pilot who was stationed in the Pacifc Theater, specifically the Solomon Islands, assigned to VMB-443, Marine Aircraft Group (MAG) 61, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing (MAW). My dad flew B-25 bombers at that time along with his co-pilot, Dominic Bellanca. VMB 443 was known as The Wildcats and both Dominic and my dad had been a part of the unit since it was activated in Sept 1943. Dominic was a first lieutenant and by late 1944 they were both stationed on the island of Emirau (Solomon Islands). As operations continued, Dominic volunteered for a night mission (my dad told me that he had asked Dominic not to volunteer for that mission). As fate may have it, Dominic never returned and was listed as MIA/KIA.

USMC Records: BELLANCA, Dominic F., First Lieutenant, Ser # O-23744, USMC (Registered at Manila American Cemetery). Date of loss: September 16, 1944 (pm).

Not uncommon for the time, many personal possessions were not returned to family and my dad acquired his Randall Made knife. I remember seeing it many times as a kid, but after spending 20 years in the US Army myself, it was packed away with my Dad's things after he passed away and about 2 weeks ago, I was going through some old boxes in my garage and stumbled across it.

Unit History: VMB-443 (THE WILDCATS) SEP 43 to NOV 44
(Arrived in Emirau May/June 44)
VMB-443 was commissioned at MCAS Cherry Point on 15 September 1943 and transferred to MCAAF Camp Lejeune on 20 October to continue training. In mid-January 1944, the air echelon and some of the ground echelon went to Naval Auxiliary Air Station (NAAS) Boca Chica, Key West, Florida for torpedo training and tactics and then moved to MCAS El Centro in February in preparation for overseas assignment. The ground echelon sailed from San Diego on 18 May 1944 and arrived at NOB Espiritu Santo in June; one month later, the ground echelon moved to MCAF Emirau and joined the flight echelon which arrived on 13 August. VMB-443 began flying both day and night missions against Rabaul and other bypassed Japanese installations on New Britain and New Ireland Islands until moving to Titcomb Field, Malabang, Mindanao, Philippines Islands in August 1945 after the war had ended.

I recently reached out to Michael Randall at Randall Made Knives and he was kind enough to provide me with the following information about the knife: (excerpt) "As best as I can tell that looks like an early 1940's Model 1-6" or possibly longer blade originally paired with a Southern Saddlery sheath, so most likely would date the knife to being made between 1943 - 1944. The Marine insignia was etched by someone else. It is probably safe to say that this knife was purchased directly by Mr. Bellanca."

Anything that any other forum members can tell me about some of the history behind this knife would be most welcome. As you examine the photos you will see that the Marine Corps globe and anchor as well as Marine Aviator Wings are engraved on one side. This appears to be custom work and according to Michael Randall, not something that his company would have added to the knife. Any speculation as to who might have done that kind of work in the early 40's?

I tried adding some photos, but since they all exceed 2mb in size they would not attach to this post. I have created a link in Dropbox which should allow you to view them. If you have trouble viewing them, please let me know and I will attempt to take some lower res photos. Thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ozzrqgycrbwxkb0/AAAuW2nCLNqPgLy66NdGWE91a?dl=0

Edited by Nevinator (02/22/17 09:18 AM)
Edit Reason: Forgot something

#157048 - 02/22/17 09:34 AM Re: This Old Randall [Re: Nevinator]
crutchtip Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Outstanding! As good as it gets.

BUY-SELL-TRADE

#157062 - 02/22/17 02:27 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: crutchtip]
Tattoo Bill Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Spring Hill, Florida
Wow.... Really great provenance for this genuine piece of American Military history! Nothing else can be added except Congratulations on discovering it!

TB
ta2bill@yahoo.com

#157063 - 02/22/17 03:23 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: Tattoo Bill]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
Nevinator,
Thanks for the story and join the forum.
This is very valuable information! smile

I cut them up to 1000 in width.
Larger is sometimes not shown (on my PC exactly)

Attachments
------unspecified.jpg

------unspecified01.jpg

------unspecified02.jpg

------unspecified04.jpg

------unspecified05.jpg

------unspecified06.jpg

------unspecified07.jpg

------unspecified09.jpg

#157065 - 02/22/17 03:51 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: desert.snake]
Nevinator Offline
Just dropped in

Loc: Conroe, TX
Desert.Snake - Thank you for taking the time to edit the photos. Thanks all for your comments.

Regards,
Mark

#157086 - 02/22/17 05:39 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: Nevinator]
Boomer51 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee
Welcome aboard, always room for another Army guy. Great looking knife and history - don't let that one go.

#157087 - 02/22/17 06:19 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: Boomer51]
Tracer Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Beautiful knife, though that might not be the right word. I wonder why 1LT Bellanca didn't bring it with him when he flew...
Webley Collector

#157088 - 02/22/17 06:44 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: Tracer]
Eric Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Maybe he just used his issued Pilots Knife which in WWII had a 5" blade(Western). This one is a WWII US Navy rig, which Marines were also issued. Just a guess.

Attachments
------US WWII USAAF Western Pilots Knife (2).JPG

------US WWII USAAF Western Pilots Knife (17).JPG

#157091 - 02/22/17 09:29 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: Eric]
tunefink Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Bambalam
Nevinator, I think you description of the knife is right in the ballpark.

Great story!

#157093 - 02/22/17 11:54 PM Re: This Old Randall [Re: tunefink]
Kirko Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Ladue,Missouri
How splendid is this knife and deep history !

Page 143 of 170 < 1 2 ... 141 142 143 144 145 ... 169 170 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod