Randall Made Knife Clinton Knives
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#15443 - 03/06/07 11:03 AM Tony Bose Pivot Bushing Construction Series
kdhampton Offline
Moderator Bose Forum

Loc: Terre Haute, IN
In a continuing effort to get knife building information out to the guys who desire that sort of thing, Tony and I have put together another construction series. This series of images and text focuses on building the TBose slip joint bushing pivot. Enjoy http://boseknives.com/pvtbushing/

#15444 - 03/06/07 01:08 PM Re: Tony Bose Pivot Bushing Construction Series [Re: kdhampton]
RAN Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Thank you Gentlemen..I am awestruck by the precision engineering and tolerances involved..incredible!
Very clear and deliberate step photos ..Heck you almost make it look easy ya right.
The eventual website will be a wealth of knowledge to makers and collectors alike

Here Here to the Late Richard Hodgson he was a Genius innovator way way ahead of his time and stolen from us way to early

Edited by RAN (03/06/07 01:12 PM)

#15445 - 03/06/07 11:32 PM Re: Tony Bose Pivot Bushing Construction Series [Re: kdhampton]
Dwight_Hughes Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Arkansas, USA
Wow, this is wonderful! Thanks so much to Tony and Kerry - great images and explanations of a remarkable process.

I do have a question on #20: "Clean Bushing" -- when Tony "dings" the surface of the bushing, is he basically letting the bushing "free rotate" against the grinder wheel?

I'm assuming he uses the fine Scotchbrite wheel with the bushing holder held upright (maybe at just a slight angle to vertical) so the fine scratch pattern is applied almost straight across the surface of the bushing?

I'm also assuming this is to allow for lubrication to get into the bushing/blade interface and be held there? I would also think that this reduces the friction between blade and bushing by reducing the surface area of the actual metal to metal contact.

Dick Hodgson was indeed one of the most astonishing knifemakers ever -- when you can not only make a perfect mop interframe, but also make an *integral* shield within this interframe, then you're GOOD! His passing was a great loss to us all.

-- Dwight

#15446 - 03/07/07 07:14 AM Re: Tony Bose Pivot Bushing Construction Series [Re: Dwight_Hughes]
Tony Bose Offline
Knifemaker

Dick was a good friend of mine. The tapered pin I put the bushing on locks it into place and I spin it lightly against the wheel just to clean any displacement of the round face of the bushing so it will be free in the hole. Sometimes when you stake the bushing it will displace a little on the surface. You want to use a light touch when you do it. when I get a knife together I set there and open and close each blade 50 or 60 times to let everything seat in before I clean the backstrap up on the grinder.I'm so isolated out here I never got a chance to learn much from other knifemakers but I owe all this bushing stuff to Dick Hodgson. I don't do it exactly like he did but you have to figure out what works for you. Hope this helps.

Moderator:  John_Hanlon, John_Nugent, kdhampton