Clinton Knives Clinton Knives
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147971 - 08/14/16 02:05 PM Re: Spyderco's **** [Re: Peter_Kaufman]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The Pacific Salt for scale, my old original plastic clip Clipit (of multiple 75ft falls to concrete fame), and the (always in shirt pocket) Ladybug (their best most useful knife ever, in 1.5oz all steel or 0.5oz plastic handle, a true always-knife capable of really heavy secure cutting).

Edited by Lofty (08/14/16 02:20 PM)

#147976 - 08/14/16 02:15 PM Re: Spyderco's [Re: Peter_Kaufman]
Holzinger258 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: The Desert Southwest
Spyderco Cali's - both EDC.

Attachments
------spyder cali.jpg

RKS #258

#147980 - 08/14/16 02:25 PM Re: Spyderco's [Re: Holzinger258]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

For EDC and real use, it is hard to best a Spyderco. You can carry ritzier, but for working chores and ease of manipulation under stress, and with one hand busy, they are top drawer. Everyone else simply tried to cash in on Sal's revolutionary idea.

#147982 - 08/14/16 02:36 PM Re: Spyderco's [Re: Lofty]
CrazyCajun Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Keep the pictures coming!!!
RKCC CM #051
NRA Member
FlA Knife Makers Assoc.

#148198 - 08/16/16 03:40 PM Re: Spyderco's [Re: CrazyCajun]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I have another couple coming while rest are packed for move, but this 15 sec video clip shows the sucker better than I could, a perfect stout little emergency knife, legal even in the Bronx (so long as completely concealed).

Serrations I do not care for except in the most difficult awkward cutting situations, then they are pure gold. Worth the $10 shipping both ways to have Spyderco make them as good as new, if ever required.

Again, the serrated H1 steel can run upper 60s Rc right at edge with NO embrittlement, fall to low 60s further back on scallops, and mid 50s at blade back. It actually outperforms all other supersteels in Spyderco's in house CATRA cutting durability tests. The theory is that the normally pliable tough nitrogen-based stainless develops a case hardening under grinding heat.

neat steel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_N7GTadnkU

Edited by Lofty (08/18/16 03:09 PM)

#148466 - 08/19/16 10:12 AM Re: Spyderco's [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The above post explains why the serrations. AND the H1 steel. Personally would do without the scallops due to home sharpening never appearing as factory, and often more as if attacked by an angry beaver. But with this steel, I will simply send to Spyderco for rare resharpen.

The really really stout "Salt Enuff" fixed blade, failsafe no matter the emergency, number is for NYC legal carry, where as mentioned in the puukko thread, NO blade over 4", NO locking folder even remotely flickable to open, NO knife which prints or shows in any manner, is legal.

The handle secure and large enough for forward/reverse grip, and impact surface at far end. Universal sheath (multiple blade styles in this "Enuff" line) is rocky/rattley, but holds knife well enough and thumbs free with one hand.

Again, on the folding Salt line, such as this serrated/Spyderedge Pacific Salt, blades and lock bar H1 steel, clip and barrel nut are titanium, spring/screws/washers 420 stainless at low end heat treat (heat treating sets up molecules for problems).

The big folder weight, a feathery 2.8 oz, the full tang stout fixed blade sheathed and minus bulky/heavy G-clip assembly is 4.9 oz.

Both are totally impervious to rust or staining, whether blood, food, sweaty salt, or chlorinated pool/sea water. (Truth in advertising has me add third or fourth hand accounts of folding knives ONLY left tied to sides of jetskis year-round, or used as dive knives never cleaned or rinsed, has staining of washers or eventual failure of spring at root plugged into handle, but only remote hearsay and of zero import to me...the folder is totally impervious to rust for most any owner, having seen folders left in salt water boat bilge tunnels grow only red algae, just no worry.)

The fixed blade has their later style ("bi-directional") handle texture, while the folder has the old style ("volcano grip"), and again, the Salt folders the only survivors of a line dating back to first metal clips, and only superlight linerless larger folders still made. I prefer old style texture for daily driving, but would prefer the new style for hands coated in grease or blood. Neither has what I would term too-much or too-little in grippiness or roughness, both are good and hand/pocket-liner friendly....I simply prefer the kinder old style. The Salt line, serrated OR plain edge, also the few still available with true razor edge hollowgrind of blades, most others the weaker/easier to make full flat grind or blunter stronger sabre edge.

If anyone is wondering how tough the linerless zytel/frn folder plastic handle might be, the only instance I have personally heard of was a destructive test done by a guy in Finland, who left his Pacific Salt knife outside overnight when it was a balmy circa -68°F (actually I think/recall far colder, but....), brought it in and batoned into a hardwood dowel crossgrain with no problem, and then beat directly on side of handle with hardwood dowel and handle on other dowel, and he cracked the handle, with knife still functional. As mentioned prior, mine own old Clipit made several 75 ft high dives to concrete with only extremely minor cosmetic bruising.

Spyderco fans have made it a small bizarre hobby in trying to break FRN handles or cause H1 steel to corrode somehow, and their general lack of success is remarkable.

Below are photos of a Salt line knife after three years at sea, left in boat bilge water when not used on dirty net line and fish....this is NOT rust. It is red algae growing everywhere knife contaminated by cutting line, fish gut residue, and filthy hands, and where gunk would grow. You can see in photos that all red is only a surface crust with zero damage to underlying metal surface. These are from an old post where a guy fished it out of the bilge and posted for fame about the knives rusting, he also refused to return knife for examination and free replacement. The only true oxidation known for sure, ever, is the actual oxides in the multicolor laser etch discoloring, and earliest blades got red specks on the surface from cross contamination of wheels used on other steels embedding micro particles of rustable steel in the H1 surface, the H1 NEVER rusting, no matter what.

Another "rusted" H1 blade after red algae removed...solid year left in salty sheath and never rinsed.

I can dislike the yucky pooh plastic handles all I wish, and even think of them as disposable tools, but also have to remember my original "disposable" knife of decades back still as good as new despite grease/oils/solvents/high dives. They may end up lasting for generations. I must admit that. And as for them being "high priced" for plastic steel knives, they also have near perfect fit/finish every time, and this Pacific Salt made of exotic nitrogen based corrosion proof steel in any environment survivable by a human being, of super exotic performance when serrated, plus exotic titanium small parts, and retails for under $80. Dare I say "bargain"?

And how do you display such knives at the factory outlet? Why, in a salt water aquarium, of course....

Edited by Lofty (08/19/16 01:59 PM)

#148483 - 08/19/16 03:18 PM Re: Spyderco's [Re: Lofty]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

One more shot.

The old style knives may be ungainly appearing, but are near unbeatable for user comfort and security of hold, everything from radiused corners, to radiused edge downturned spoonbill new design clip nestled in hollow of palm, to arch of back against heel of palm, volcano grip side panels, the generous index relief and fully jimped thumb rest hump, they all come together to spell "safe" and "secure", where you would do most anything, even the most extreme, and never fear being known as Lefty for the rest of your life.....nor, as Mister Blisters.

Edited by Lofty (08/19/16 03:31 PM)

#148485 - 08/19/16 04:00 PM Re: Spyderco's [Re: Lofty]
Oldvetnam1 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NJ
Here's a pic of my Spydercos. In addition to these I also have a Manbug.

Attachments
------rsz_1rsz_2014-06-17_191419.jpg

RKS #5715
SHAG #006

#148487 - 08/19/16 04:29 PM Re: Spyderco's [Re: Oldvetnam1]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Le rouge et le noir...I would just guess you like red and black, just a shot in the dark? Or Stendahl. (actually am guessing those are orange, but color shift with camera?)

The yellow Pacific Salt is more a, "Is that a banana in your pocket or...a banana?"

Truly, they near always are very flat and concealable, but I love the Manbug and Ladybug for near everything, small shirtpocket knives which do big knife cutting. What color is the Manbug, Steve?

Edited by Lofty (08/19/16 04:30 PM)

#148490 - 08/19/16 05:36 PM Re: Spyderco's [Re: Lofty]
Oldvetnam1 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: NJ
The Manbug is Burnt orange.
RKS #5715
SHAG #006

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  John_Hanlon, John_Nugent, kdhampton