------IMG_1892.JPG

RKCC CM #051
NRA Member
FlA Knife Makers Assoc.

#147665 - 08/12/16 11:17 PM Re: Spyderco's [Re: CrazyCajun]
W Polidori Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
Never did own a Spyderco. Can’t own them all. Sharp blades.

#147666 - 08/12/16 11:19 PM Re: Spyderco's [Re: W Polidori]
RamKingJC Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I had an employee in a knife shop talk me out of buying 1 that was well over $100 in like 97 maybe... never looked at Spyderco again. But they do have ggreat looking designs

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

#147674 - 08/12/16 11:50 PM Re: Spyderco's [Re: RamKingJC]
W Polidori Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central New York
That's because at the time you didn’t know it you we're destined for greater things.

#147675 - 08/12/16 11:51 PM Re: Spyderco's [Re: RamKingJC]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I have a couple of favorites, but will need add unspectacular photos tomorrow. Nothing but plastic. I still have my original Delica Clipit from when first introduced. It had the plastic clip as part of the scale.

Then came the plastic scaled version with moveable metal clip held on by two-piece coin slotted barrel nut, and a wonder of flat lightness, especially when clip removed.

Now they have complicated the knives and gone to thin metal liners with bolted scales and clips, the knives weigh more, are thicker, and if you tinker with those screws almost coating the knives compared to old, there ain't no more, and the warranty is voided. AND most knives have gone to the simpler and thinner blade full flat grind.

Which brings us back to the second style, still made (for the moment) in the Salt-line. Except the barrel nut and clip is titanium, the blade and lockbar made of absolutely rustproof H1 high nitrogen (instead of carbon) steel, and other small parts (screws/washers/spring) made of 420 stainless, a nearly rustproof knife, in total.

The steel performs about as AUS6/8A/440C at 56-57 Rc, but not near as brittle, it dents rather than chips, can be ironed back into alignment at edge, and curiously, gets extremely hard while not brittle from extra grinding of serrations. A weird and wonderful steel.

Check out this in-house test blade shot, and keep in mind this is a stainless blade with an edge hardness circa 57 Rc, and at the weakest place on this Endura-sized blade. Due to its strange properties, it performs as a differentially hardened blade, with hard edge and soft back.

I have the Delica sized Salt 1, and Endura size Pacific Salt which I will add tomorrow. Oh, and they keep the razor sharp hollow grind and full thickness back, in a great worker blade design. AND less abrasive old style handle texture.

Also, just about anybody's test of lock strength with weights shows the humble lockback still king of strength, as it seems any frame or liner lock is a bent piece of metal and just keeps bending under stress.

And only 2 and 3 oz respectively....quite cool, even if only steel and plastic.

Just the biggun as for strong blade in light, flat, rounded handle, and again, clip removable and my favorite method in something this pocket friendly.

Edited by Lofty (08/13/16 12:19 AM)

#147688 - 08/13/16 03:09 AM Re: Spyderco's [Re: Lofty]
desert.snake Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: the other side of the earth
A couple of days ago, I was looking for the results
of tests of knives locks and found an interesting video,
I think it is here to this topic, because spiderco smile

So sad what had not yet experienced tri-ad lock from cold steel.

not inserted video((
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERxHUXAFVs4

#147706 - 08/13/16 10:01 AM Re: Spyderco's [Re: desert.snake]
Windsor Online
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Texas!
ugh, I don't have a pic of it. My one and only Spyderco is one they don't make any more, "Dyad Jr". Given to me by my first father-in-law.

It took a dive into a grain pit, glove cuff hooked the pocket clip and pulled it right out of my pocket. Auger sucked it up and chewed on it a little, so one side has the micarta cut clean in two. Knife still works great other than that.

I'll have to dig it out of the safe and get a pic of it soon.

#147707 - 08/13/16 10:32 AM Re: Spyderco's [Re: Windsor]
Lofty Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I also had clips by ANYbody snagged at work and pockets tried to be moved by force before knife came out and fell. The Spyderco clipit survived 75ft falls to no ill effect. I do not like clips for safety reasons plus they just feel bad in hand while working hard.

Another lock strength test video, note how the lockbacks fare against reps of other varieties....Most locks today fall into liner or frame lock, and lockback now bringing up the rear. Most "new" locks only prevent frame or liner locks from shifting. However, they do not fail from shifting, they fail from bending, which those improvements do not and cannot fix. They start bent as part of design, and just keep bending under stress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KmHfbG7z7g

HOWEVER, what nobody ever tests is going the other way....hyperextension of blade breaking backwards over the handle. Considering most are (foolishly) marketed as weapons rather than tools today, it is something a user would wish to know, whether in a stab or slash and striking anything hard.

Edited by Lofty (08/13/16 10:44 AM)

#147727 - 08/13/16 11:33 AM Re: Spyderco's [Re: Lofty]
Windsor Online
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Lofty
I also had clips by ANYbody snagged at work and pockets tried to be moved by force before knife came out and fell. The Spyderco clipit survived 75ft falls to no ill effect. I do not like clips for safety reasons plus they just feel bad in hand while working hard.

This knife is too small to grip it very hard. It's one of those "three finger knives".

The clip stands out quite a bit (see 4th pic below).

Today is a perfect day for photo shoots outside, just enough overcast to kill hard shadow lines. Here's my poor spyderco Dyad Jr.

#147735 - 08/13/16 11:47 AM Re: Spyderco's [Re: Windsor]
Windsor Online
Knife Enthusiast

Whups, I lied. I forgot that I bought a replacement and never used it.

Here's what they look like if you don't drop them into a grain pit. crazy

And here's what I mean by "three finger knife."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  John_Hanlon, John_Nugent, kdhampton