Clinton Knives Randall Knife Collectors Club
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121619 - 10/04/14 08:38 AM Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho *** [Re: Litch]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
Finally got my phone to send the Seb picture and I resized it to work. Again, I haven't seen any other Sebenza's with a partial serated edge. I'm sure they are out there, but this is the first one I have run across.

Attachments
------ChrisReeveSeb (Small).jpg

Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#121624 - 10/04/14 07:22 PM Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho [Re: pappy19]
Byrdguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: FL Panhandle
I've seen them, but they are rare. Nice one, Pap.
RKS#4413
SHAG# 8
RKCC# CM096
NRA Member

#121627 - 10/05/14 09:05 AM Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho [Re: Byrdguy]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
I suspect one could send their Seb back to the factory and request the serations, but don't know that for sure.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#121628 - 10/05/14 10:07 AM Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho [Re: pappy19]
Byrdguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I do know that a new blade swap (knife has to be sent to CRK) is about $135. I have an older (regular) small Seb. without thumb notches and have never seen another like that. It's not a user, so it's no biggie, but I like the TNs on my user.
RKS#4413
SHAG# 8
RKCC# CM096
NRA Member

#121629 - 10/05/14 05:02 PM Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho [Re: pappy19]
pyronaute Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Lancaster, Penna.

I remember well the first time I laid eyes on a Sebenza. It was soon after its introduction to the marketplace. Thought it was neat but resisted obtaining one, perhaps because I was young and didn't have the disposable income necessary for such an 'investment'. When the modified Wharncliff version (Insignio?) was offered by Knife Art several years back, I hinted to my family it would be the perfect Christmas gift for 'the man who has everything'.
Low & behold I received one for Christmas that year. It isn't hyperbole to say I think it's the finest folding knife available. I sure wish I had purchased one 25 years ago. But then, my knife collection wouldn't be as large as it is now.
My advice to anyone contemplating acquisition of one of these masterpieces; DON'T WAIT! Don't deprive yourself of an exquisite example of the cutlerers art.
RKS#1691
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member
Residing somewhere in the Ubiquitous States of Amnesia

#121630 - 10/05/14 05:16 PM Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho [Re: pyronaute]
Byrdguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Buy two, one decorated to stash away and fondle from time to time and one to use as an EDC.
RKS#4413
SHAG# 8
RKCC# CM096
NRA Member

#121633 - 10/06/14 01:53 AM Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho [Re: pappy19]
David Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho
Originally Posted By: pappy19
DAvid-
Next time you go to Idaho, take your Sebe to the factory and get it sharpened and detailed. It's not far from the airport.

Mike, I am going to Idaho tomorrow. But I am not going to Boise on this trip. I am driving up from Sundance to Ketchum. However, I did notice that CRK is close to the Boise airport. I will take my knife in the next time I am in town. Thanks!
SHAG No. 003
NRA Life Member
www.explorerconsulting.com

#121786 - 10/12/14 08:40 PM Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho [Re: David]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

David--

I had the same problem with the Small Sebenza I carried in the '90's. I found it would not stay sharp with minimal usage, so sent it back to be restored to new condition and sold it.

Since then, they have improved steel, and have better edge holding. And if you have a problem with one they will stand behind it--I just did not think the problem I had with the one I sold was typical of their knives.

Heck, the Benchmade I have carried for about 12 years also is not great at holding an edge, even though I sent it back and had a newer blade installed.

Back to the Sebenza--at the time I was buying wholesale from Chris and retailing them at shows. Talking to him one day, I asked if he would put serrations on some blades for me or if that might be offered as an option at some point. Flat out no way, he did not see a reason for serrations. I'm sure that he and others like him have all kinds of things thrown at them, and the process of interrupting normal work flow to accommodate customers' whims is probably too disruptive.

However, now that they offer serrations--I have not bought one of them! The reason: I have not found a way to re-sharpen the serrations well enough on Spyderco knives, so I doubt I could maintain a serrated Sebenza as well as I would like.

Larry

P.S.: I keep telling myself that Spyderco has the sharpest blades out-of-the-box, but I am not assured that I or Spyderco can return their knives to their original level of sharpness when they come out of the factory.
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#121815 - 10/14/14 12:33 AM Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho [Re: LarryWW1246]
David Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho
Larry,

Thanks for the extra info. I appreciate it. As those that follow my posts know, my knives are all users - I have no use for a "pretty" anything unless it is functional. If I carry a Spyderco or Randall or Rolex in the field, it is because it is functional. I don't care how pretty it is.

Thanks,

David
SHAG No. 003
NRA Life Member
www.explorerconsulting.com

#121817 - 10/14/14 07:41 AM Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho [Re: David]
Byrdguy Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Same here. Buy quality and only cry once.
RKS#4413
SHAG# 8
RKCC# CM096
NRA Member

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  John_Hanlon, John_Nugent, kdhampton