dominionhobby.com Miles Swelze
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121193 - 09/16/14 09:05 PM Re: Ivory Randalls *** [Re: Buck Buchanan]
Hemingway Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Buck Buchanan
The proposed ban on the Federal level is elephant ivory only.

NY signed into law on August 12th, a ban on all ivory regardless of animal.

I don't know about the reliance of truth of this source, so take it FWIW.

This came from Bloomberg Businessweek website:

"The law, signed by New York’s Democratic Governor Andrew Cuomo on Aug. 12, is intended to halt the trade in illegal ivory that encourages poaching endangered species. It prohibits the sale of ivory that’s less than 100 years old and also bans the sale of antiques in which ivory makes up more than 20 percent of the total material used. Some violations carry felony charges. The law covers ivory from elephant tusks, extinct mammoths, and rhinoceros horns. (Musical instruments made before 1975 are exempt: You can sell Grandma’s piano, but not her snuff box.)"

That's either a poorly written article or a poorly written law. "It prohibits the sale of ivory less than 100 years old", and "covers extinct mammoths." Have we had some mammoths go extinct in the last 100 years?

#121202 - 09/17/14 09:06 AM Re: Ivory Randalls [Re: Hemingway]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

The illogic of the NY and NJ bans signifies how gut-driven and ideological the anti-ivory thing is at heart.

They also demonstrate how politicians can put through anything they like into law--nonsensical as it might be.

Most of the animal rights and environmental groups are membership-wide devoted to a total ban on any ownership and sale of ivory--period.

These groups and their political associates form a closed-loop thinking circle where what someone asserts becomes the mantra that all of them adhere to, irrespective of logic or contradictory facts, information, or arguments. The classic definition of a closed mind.

And the politicians who initiate such ideas (no need to name them again here) seem to be able to galvanize these groups in support of causes like the ban, and can count on that devotion carrying through at the polls.

So--while we get a lot of solicitations for donations to "save" some species, we now screen them and do not donate to any that support the ban.

The last I heard, The Nature Conservancy did not support the ban, and the National Geographic Society might not (at least it is willing to publish alternative points of view, which the ideologues will not do).

So we donate to the Conservancy. And when it comes to the Humane Society of the US--we only donate to local shelters.

Here are a couple of links for readers here to explore:

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/...#comment-398956

http://elephantprotection.org/

Larry

Edited by LarryWW1246 (09/17/14 09:11 AM)
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#121426 - 09/27/14 09:20 PM Re: Ivory Randalls [Re: LarryWW1246]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Well I have been gone for a few years from the forum. it's wild to read this thread on no more ivory.
Used to be all the discussions were on "it's checked will it crack?", how to ship it so it won't crack, leave water by them, baby oil the handle..... grin glad I never went in for ivory.
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

#121452 - 09/28/14 08:45 PM Re: Ivory Randalls [Re: Chief]
TonyLaPetri Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Glen Head NY
Hey Chief!!!
Good to see you back.
Hope all is well.

I too never got around to buying any ivory-handled Randalls. Lucky, I guess??
:-)
RKS#1885
RKCC CM-022

#121471 - 09/29/14 11:36 AM Re: Ivory Randalls [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Steven Offline
Randall Enthusiast
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Denver, CO
I like Ivory and yes some have checked and cracked. Still something about real Elephant Ivory feels good and looks great and ages fantastic. It's too bad about the proposed bans, I don't believe it will work. I'll still purchase if given the chance. I don't resell so I'm not worried about getting stuck with them. I'm curious to see what Ivory prices do in the future. I predict they will go up in value.

#121477 - 09/29/14 11:50 AM Re: Ivory Randalls [Re: Steven]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Steven
I'm curious to see what Ivory prices do in the future. I predict they will go up in value.

Unfortunately, the intent of the proposed ban is the exact opposite - to make ivory valueless.
RKS #4233

#121480 - 09/29/14 12:51 PM Re: Ivory Randalls [Re: Steven]
Michael_Mason Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Orlando, FL.
Originally Posted By: Steven
I like Ivory and yes some have checked and cracked. Still something about real Elephant Ivory feels good and looks great and ages fantastic. I'll still purchase if given the chance. I don't resell so I'm not worried about getting stuck with them. I'm curious to see what Ivory prices do in the future.

Ditto on the above !!!

#121484 - 09/29/14 01:39 PM Re: Ivory Randalls [Re: TAH]
Jim459 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
Tom,

I'll take any valueless ivory knife you have (if the ivory is perfect). I will even give you 1/2 the Randall original cost for them.

Jim

Edited by Jim459 (09/29/14 01:40 PM)
RKS #5815

#121486 - 09/29/14 02:13 PM Re: Ivory Randalls [Re: Jim459]
TAH Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: USA
Thanks for the offer, Jim, but I'm not looking to get rid of my ivory, but I would certainly like to have the option to legally sell it in the future.
RKS #4233

#121498 - 09/29/14 09:01 PM Re: Ivory Randalls [Re: TonyLaPetri]
Chief Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Thanks Tony, I'm good. Hope you & yours are doing well.

As for me not buying ivory......I may have been fibbing a little as I have been big on ivory. grin in the past & have always liked the exotic handle materials as well.
RKS #5154

If you put off following The LORD just remember......They don't serve breakfast in hell!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod