Randall Made Knife James Behring Knives
The RANDALL KNIFE FORUMS

A place where EVERYBODY is welcome to join in on the discussion of Randall Made knives

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#103821 - 08/08/12 08:04 PM "Challenger Memorial" Mission Accomplished **
Drshame Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Miami
Not even cleaned up yet, fresh from Randall/Capt. Chris

"Randall Nasa" Challenger Memorial

It's much bigger than expected, a real handfull.

Here's my "Back Story, as Chris knows.
I will share it with my friends here.

I reported on the Space Shuttle Program for CNN and was at the Kennedy Space Center while the smoke was still in the air...supposed to cover "Challenger Live" but missed out until the tragedy.

Spent 3 months straight at KSC covering the accident, was at Port Canaveral when the crew was recovered and brought back to shore.

My work's in the Library of Congress....and this "Randall Memorial" personally means a great deal to me...part of my professional history too.

Many more pix to come, along with all my other "Challenger" Memorabilia....could be going to the Smithsonian some day.

Capt. Chris/ Randall....Congrats on your fine products and keeping the Memory alive of their sacrifice...and all the other Nasa Heroes we've lost.

Edited by Drshame (08/08/12 09:22 PM)

#103825 - 08/08/12 08:52 PM Re: "Challenger Memorial" Mission Accomplished [Re: Drshame]
pappy19 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Garden Valley, Idaho
A very sad part of NASA history for sure, but we learned enough to keep our folks safe in the future launches. Many thanks for your service to our Country. A great knife for a great tribute.

Pap
Randall Collector
Behring Made Collector
Ruana Collector
Glock Fan
NRA- Life Member since 1975
mikenlu99@aol.com

#103826 - 08/08/12 09:26 PM Re: "Challenger Memorial" Mission Accomplished [Re: pappy19]
Drshame Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Pap...appreciate your kind words.
There's a new program starting up at KSC..eventually it may get us back into a new manned space program.
I got a recent briefing from former Nasa Astronaut Bill Nelson.
When I told him about the "Mission Memorial " Randall project, his eyes lit up. I don't think he was even aware of the "Astro 17" availability.

#103827 - 08/08/12 09:28 PM Re: "Challenger Memorial" Mission Accomplished [Re: Drshame]
Captain Chris Stanaback Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Loc: Central Florida
Bill Nelson's not "aware" of a lot of things. He is, after all, a politician.
Nice knife, by the way, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#103828 - 08/08/12 09:40 PM Re: "Challenger Memorial" Mission Accomplished [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Drshame Offline
Knife Enthusiast

Chris,
Gotta get out the big camera and snap some better pix.
These things are NOT easy to photograph well..lotsa reflections and blade angles.
BTW: Don't forget about Bill's astronaut career before his Senate Career. I found out his shuttle booster wasn't properly unlocked from the launchpad and as the story goes..when the boosters were recovered a huge chunk of launch pad concrete was still bolted onto it..with the bolt someone forgot to remove.
Never got the story confirmed by Nasa. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

#103829 - 08/08/12 09:45 PM Re: "Challenger Memorial" Mission Accomplished [Re: Drshame]
Knife Enthusiast

I'm a Florida boy...and I certainly remember his NASA days, just like John Glenn. It's their "after-life" I wish I could forget. Oh well...
Get yourself an inexpensive 36" photo tent and some daylights and shoot your knives inside of it. You'll eliminate a great deal of that brightness and eliminate a whole helluva' lot of shadowing!
Good luck, Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#103830 - 08/08/12 09:50 PM Re: "Challenger Memorial" Mission Accomplished [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
Knife Enthusiast

Here's the Randall #14-7 1/2" I am currently working on with some smaller "NASA" brown G-3. (It's 1 3/8" stock verses 1 1/2"). Notice the NASA logo on the sheath?
Best, Capt. Chris

Attachments
------#14 in NASA G-3-09,2011 007 001.jpg

------#14 in NASA G-3-09,2011 007 002.jpg

------#14 in NASA G-3-09,2011 007 010.jpg

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com

#103846 - 08/09/12 04:05 PM Re: "Challenger Memorial" Mission Accomplished [Re: Captain Chris Stanaback]
LarryWW1246 Offline
Knife Enthusiast

RE: Photo tent and "shooting knives"

Way back, in the '70's when it was called the American Blade Magazine (before just "Blade") I had a short article in there titled "Shoot Your Knives" or some such. Wrote it for fun, since it doesn't cover expenses to do these things.

Anyway, the photos I used to show different results were made in natural settings, with efforts to control reflections on blades, and inside a light tent I made.

Bottom Line, it is difficult to get proper exposures and highlight control in anything other than a light tent, although I have gotten some good photos otherwise through effort and luck.

Bottom line, and the reason I am posting this here as a reply to Capt. Chris's recommendation, is because I recently bought a 4 foot cube Smith-Victor brand light tent from Adorama. It is still in the package, no time to work with it yet, but once I decide what lighting setup I want to use I think that is the only way to go.

Another wrinkle--which I do not have software to do yet--is that you can shoot the knife on a green background that you can buy that works like a "green screen" in movie making, and then have the green replaced by another scene behind the knife--should be able to "fake" some artistic outdoor shots using this approach.

Happy shooting,
Larry

Edited by LarryWW1246 (08/10/12 04:32 PM)
ABKA #046
RKS #1246

#103850 - 08/09/12 09:51 PM Re: "Challenger Memorial" Mission Accomplished [Re: LarryWW1246]
Drshame Offline
Knife Enthusiast

I'll have to try it.
Those shots were from my IPhone...ceiling lights.
Over the weekend I'll take out my real camera and see what I can do. I've aways tried natural, available lighting. But the blade angles/reflections on the 12-9/14 seem to be a good challenge.

#103857 - 08/10/12 08:53 AM Re: "Challenger Memorial" Mission Accomplished [Re: Drshame]
kalervo Offline
Knife Enthusiast

So beautiful knives. Thank's for showing them :-)
shag #29

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Mr_Mod