War/Fighting knives

Posted by: nate-dogg

War/Fighting knives - 02/16/21 05:49 PM

Thought I'd post a pic of a couple fighting knives, hoping to get others posting as well to keep the forum alive. I know, the lighting is bad, but it's so dadgum cold out, so the pics were taken in the basement under a lamp. Post pictures of your war era fighting knives! I'd love to see them!
Posted by: coachblalock

Re: War/Fighting knives - 02/16/21 06:21 PM

Nice knives, Nate.

Any story???
Posted by: nate-dogg

Re: War/Fighting knives - 02/16/21 06:25 PM

Unfortunately no stories came with the knives. I bought them, so no sentimental value.
Posted by: Sidney_Redford

Re: War/Fighting knives - 02/16/21 06:55 PM

It's a shame they can't talk. Nice find.
Posted by: crutchtip

Re: War/Fighting knives - 02/16/21 07:04 PM

Carried item with provenance
Posted by: Shoot870p

Re: War/Fighting knives - 02/16/21 09:47 PM

Both of these sets are nice. Crutch, the personal items really set it off for sure.
Thanks for posting.
Walker

Re: War/Fighting knives - 02/16/21 10:14 PM

I bet this ‘un has several stories!
Posted by: Wally

Re: War/Fighting knives - 02/16/21 10:34 PM

That's a gorgeous sheath (along with everything else) but that sheath really pops!
Posted by: Eric

Re: War/Fighting knives - 02/17/21 06:27 AM

Like Nate’s no stories.

Wally, I always liked the look of this sheath as well. Canteen snap is another favorite.
Posted by: tunefink

Re: War/Fighting knives - 02/17/21 09:13 AM

Eric,

I have never seen another big rivet #2 sheath. Can you post a picture of the back? Is the handle black micarta?

Re: War/Fighting knives - 02/17/21 11:56 AM

Mitchell, Splitback just like #18. Both these knives were delivered in 1965 to a hardware store in Ohio. I use to have the order receipt. It also included a #1 with riveted sheath, but I only got 2 of the 3.

Re: War/Fighting knives - 02/17/21 12:05 PM

I have seen a few #2's in spliback sheaths, but only a couple of them were actually #2 sheaths, with the others being #1 sheaths.

Eric, yours could be one of the one's, if so, I want to say either Rhett had it or a collector out of one of the Carolina's had it many years ago.

Unfortunately, I can't see the photos you posted. I don' understand why some are visible while others are not

Edited to note I used the phone to access the page and checked out the #2. I can't recall if that is one of the one's I have seen or not. It was probably 20 years ago. Looks like wood handle maybe, but hard to see on phone.
Posted by: Wally

Re: War/Fighting knives - 02/17/21 12:43 PM

That's the first splitback model 2 sheath I've seen too, they must be scarce. Eric, I bet you've had it a while now?

Re: War/Fighting knives - 02/17/21 12:51 PM

Wally, I sold both these knives a few years ago. I bought them as a package deal to help out a friend. I paid him top dollar and sold them 2 years later.
Posted by: Sidney_Redford

Re: War/Fighting knives - 02/17/21 01:23 PM

There are some awesome knives in this thread. I really like Joe's, with the provenance.

Re: War/Fighting knives - 02/17/21 03:31 PM

I am going to look for the photo(s), but when I had a 2-5" collection, maybe 25 pcs or so, I had one with a split back riveted sheath. Only one I ever saw. Forgot about that one. IIRC, it has a Colonels name written in ink on the back.

Re: War/Fighting knives - 02/17/21 04:44 PM

Eric:

I've said it before, but you have/had some nice stuff!

Coach