R. Bose Stockman Pics...recently acquired.

Posted by: 1gunner

R. Bose Stockman Pics...recently acquired. - 05/26/07 11:06 AM

Here are a few pics of another I picked up at the Oregon Show in April. One by Reese...3 Bladed Stockman. Can someone tell me what the scales are? I think they are Remington jigged bone but not sure how the experts can tell. Dark brown to light brown as the scales thin out. Enjoy, Tom #3081

Re: R. Bose Stockman Pics...recently acquired. - 05/26/07 11:08 AM

And another. Enjoy, Tom #3081
Posted by: Blues

Re: R. Bose Stockman Pics...recently acquired. - 05/26/07 11:21 AM

Beautiful. I'm green with envy!
Posted by: jt2gt

Re: R. Bose Stockman Pics...recently acquired. - 05/26/07 12:11 PM

Looks like Rem Bone to me. Great looking knife. Nice Score!!!

Jack
Posted by: Tony Bose

Re: R. Bose Stockman Pics...recently acquired. - 05/26/07 12:51 PM

Those are remington bone scales, you need to put a little lemon oil on them.
Posted by: Kent_Warnberg

Re: R. Bose Stockman Pics...recently acquired. - 05/26/07 01:54 PM

Tom,

What a fantastic find. Great pictures. It looks like that Remington bone scales is hard to beat!

Kent

Re: R. Bose Stockman Pics...recently acquired. - 05/26/07 02:01 PM

Thanks guys for the comments. I am forever a learner and really appreciate the info especially on how to maintain the scales. Knife collecting is a joy to bear. Tom #3081
Posted by: MRobuck

Re: R. Bose Stockman Pics...recently acquired. - 05/27/07 09:53 AM

Tom,

Looks like you had a good show. That's a great looking knife you have there, but be careful hanging out here, they'll get you to using those Boses knives before too long and you'll like that as well.
Posted by: Cut_Man

Re: R. Bose Stockman Pics...recently acquired. - 05/27/07 05:20 PM

Tony,

May I ask a few "newbie" questions...What differentiates Remington Bone from other dyed bone? What does lemon oil provide to the Remington bone? Should this also be applied to other dyed bone scales as well? Just tryin to do some learning...

Thx, Brian

Re: R. Bose Stockman Pics...recently acquired. - 05/27/07 06:31 PM

Quote:

Tony,

May I ask a few "newbie" questions...What differentiates Remington Bone from other dyed bone? What does lemon oil provide to the Remington bone? Should this also be applied to other dyed bone scales as well? Just tryin to do some learning...

Thx, Brian

The remington bone is from the 1930s, the lemon oil gives life to old bone which is usually dry and should be put on all bone a couple times a year. It enhances the color and makes it more pliable and less apt to crack.

Re: R. Bose Stockman Pics...recently acquired. - 05/27/07 08:29 PM

Thanks Tony! I did not realize that the bone used on some of yours and Reese's knives were so old. That's great! Further, I didn't realize that I should be putting lemon oil on my bone scales for maintenance. Never had one dry out that I know of but would crap if it happened. Any recommendation on the stag handled knives? Thanks for great advice...I'll get to oiling up

Thx, Brian

Re: R. Bose Stockman Pics...recently acquired. - 05/27/07 09:47 PM

I put lemon oil on stag as well as bone. If you see many antique knives once in a while you will see on that is fuzzy looking and the oil will fix that. It usually happens when one is in a drawer for years and drys out. The oil from your hands will feed the bone if you use and handle it every day and it's not a problem. The oil won't hurt anything and probably help.

Re: R. Bose Stockman Pics...recently acquired. - 05/28/07 10:09 AM

Great Information Tony! I'm the first to admit that I didn't know bone scales, or stag for that matter, dried out. I have worked ivory with renwax, baby oil, etc...all with good results. This is good as I have several that needed a little oil...they got it yesterday
Thx, Brian
Posted by: johnbarth

Re: R. Bose Stockman Pics...recently acquired. - 06/27/07 05:18 PM

I understand about the natural oils helping. Is there any danger from the natural salt of perspiration? Thanks for the info. John

Re: R. Bose Stockman Pics...recently acquired. - 06/27/07 06:51 PM

Quote:

I understand about the natural oils helping. Is there any danger from the natural salt of perspiration? Thanks for the info. John

Your persperation or oil from your hands won't do anything on bone, stag, or ivory but make the color better. Any of these that you handle daily the oil from your skin keeps them from drying out. The ones that get dry are the ones put in a drawer and left there for years.
Posted by: canineforge

Re: R. Bose Stockman Pics...recently acquired. - 06/28/07 09:12 PM

Quote:

Your persperation or oil from your hands won't do anything on bone, stag, or ivory but make the color better. Any of these that you handle daily the oil from your skin keeps them from drying out. The ones that get dry are the ones put in a drawer and left there for years.

Another good reason to use 'em!!

- Joe