My Favorite Knife

Posted by: coachblalock

My Favorite Knife - 11/23/17 11:30 PM

Several years ago, a group of Jr. High boys took up a collection and got this switchblade knife for me for Christmas. One of the boys had an older brother in the Army and he did the purchase.

2 of them stood guard at my classroom door in case the Principal showed up while the rest gave it to me just as the bell rang to get out for Christmas break. One boy admonished me to "not get caught with it at school."

Over the years, I have thought about it often and have to chuckle to myself each time about the circumstances of the act.

Re: My Favorite Knife - 11/23/17 11:36 PM

Folded up.

If anyone can tell me the origin of this knife, I would appreciate it. There is no brand on it.
Posted by: desert.snake

Re: My Favorite Knife - 11/24/17 01:09 AM

A good Chinese knife, automatic?
I have a similar, since 2009 I constantly use.

p.s. yes - automatic

found an interesting video on the disassembly and cleaning of the knife

slightly different model, but the insides are the same

Re: My Favorite Knife - 11/24/17 08:32 AM

Thanks for the video!

I'm sure that it didn't cost much because those kids were "economically disadvantaged"

But we hit it offf pretty good. They liked to play Football and Track. (District Champs in both) And,,,they ALL (100%) passed the State Test in Math!!!

Re: My Favorite Knife - 11/24/17 01:22 PM

For this price, this is a good knife
(at us it cost about 300 rubles, this ~5 $)
moreover, it is a gift from the heart.
I see good guys, I hope they will be fine smile
Posted by: Fairbairn

Re: My Favorite Knife - 11/29/17 07:43 PM

My favourite is a Lone Wold Defender, no longer made, but occasionally available if you know where to look. It has a four inch blade, locks up tight as a tick, either open or closed, due to the Paul locking mechanism, and can be opened one- handed. Superb craftsmanship!
Posted by: Knife Sharpener

Re: My Favorite Knife - 12/26/20 06:59 AM

Really great knife.
Posted by: Shoot870p

Re: My Favorite Knife - 12/26/20 01:28 PM

Coach, they certainly gave from the heart.
Walker
Posted by: Duke

Re: My Favorite Knife - 12/26/20 01:35 PM

Outstanding Coach!
And, once again, demonstrates that the the things most of us value dearly has absolutely nothing to do with the monetary cost. The people and the stories always trump out when close to the heart.
A New Year filled with joy and wonder to you and yours.

Re: My Favorite Knife - 12/27/20 11:45 AM

Those guys are in their 30s now. All are doing good.

Two in that class are coaches now and the State Playoffs are in the Serious stage right now in Texas.

One of them won a BIG game last night and so is still going. The other lost a heartbreaker last week.

When I talk to them, I always tell them: You make sure that YOU have as much FUN coaching AND teaching kids as I did coaching AND teaching you!

And remember, that as lifting weights and running makes you a better athlete, doing a great job in the classroom makes you a better coach. Coaching is teaching!
Posted by: pappy19

Re: My Favorite Knife - 12/27/20 02:54 PM

Coach
That philosophy goes further than athletics, and I used that as a project manager on every pipeline and power line project that I was involved in. I used each project as a teaching opportunity, complete with entertaining questions.

Pap
Posted by: Sidney_Redford

Re: My Favorite Knife - 01/05/21 06:46 AM

Who Made This? When I brought this knife I didn't note who made it, I thought I would remember but I don't remember what I had for breakfast so that plan didn't work. There are no marking on the knife that I can see.
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: My Favorite Knife - 01/05/21 06:58 AM

Sydney,
That's too nice a knife not to have a makers mark on it somewhere. Probably hidden the etching, you just haven't see it yet.
If you can't find it, you might shoot some pics to Tommy Clark @ Blue Ridge knives, he'd probably recognize the makers work.
Message me if you'd like his contact info.
"Possibly" Carlton Edwards ??
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: My Favorite Knife - 01/05/21 10:01 AM

It looks like, either Zolan McCarty or his Grandson, Chris English's work. Although neither did a great deal of Damascus, the blade, thumb screw and, particularly, the handle shape looks like theirs.
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris
PS: Tons of Chris' work had a simple capital "Z" engraved on the finished piece as a tribute and homage to his Grandad...CCS
PPS: One of Chris' autos in Oosic.!

Re: My Favorite Knife - 01/05/21 12:53 PM

Thanks guys I haven't looked inside the liners, it may be there. I have had some Puma folders and that is where the serial #'s are. Capt. I will look at the blade with a mag. and see if there are any marks . Michael I was born in Marion, VA. and that is where Blue Ridge Knives are located and I would have never thought about them, thanks for jogging my memory and thanks for the tip.

Re: My Favorite Knife - 01/26/21 01:10 PM

Still don't know about the folder, waiting to hear from Blue Ridge Knives. I took some pics this weekend and here are some of those. First is a RB Special with fossil ivory, then some Sandra (Sandy) Brady scrim some on both side because I can, and some minis.
Posted by: GCTom41

Re: My Favorite Knife - 01/26/21 02:09 PM

Sidney,

Great knives and scrim!

Tom Flynn

Re: My Favorite Knife - 01/26/21 02:48 PM

I wanted to include some other pics but I had to resize before could. Here are a few minis and some Arno Bernard's from South Africa.
Posted by: GCTom41

Re: My Favorite Knife - 01/26/21 03:37 PM

Sidney,

Great collections of Mini's and Arno's.

Tom Flynn

Re: My Favorite Knife - 01/26/21 07:25 PM

Great collection!

Awesome Scrim!

The Z is really nice!
Posted by: jacoobjulia

Re: My Favorite Knife - 05/24/21 04:23 AM

The D.E. Henry Bowie. ...
Ka-Bar Marine Corps Fighting Knife. ...
The Leuku. ...
Leatherman Wave+ ...
Emerson CQC-7BW. ...
Busse Battle Mistress.
Posted by: Wayne Dengler

Re: My Favorite Knife - 08/15/23 10:37 AM

If you look at the most recent site for WR CASE they have about a two minute video of their knives and company.

Nice ad,nice company,nice folks. I toured the CASE factory after BLADE in 2009.

Wayne
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: My Favorite Knife - 08/15/23 11:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Wayne Dengler
I toured the CASE factory after BLADE in 2009. Wayne

Wayne,
Went up there around that time when the Case Collectors Club had their member yearly get together. Took us around to some of the old knife factory locations, the cemetery where some of the Case family members are buried, had an auction / bbq dinner, tour of the Zippo site, and tents set up for buy / sell / trade. It was a good time.. I should do it again smile

Re: My Favorite Knife - 08/30/23 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Sidney_Redford
Who Made This? When I brought this knife I didn't note who made it, I thought I would remember but I don't remember what I had for breakfast so that plan didn't work. There are no marking on the knife that I can see.

I saw it too late, but it could be Steve Schwarzer or Don Hanson III or one of their students. Some of his photos are here
https://steveschwarzer.com/pages/portfolio

Finger-opening pin and general style very similar to Steve

Re: My Favorite Knife - 09/07/23 12:25 PM

Yesterday I spoke with Steve Schwarzer, it seems that this is not his job, but he set the direction for further searches

Re: My Favorite Knife - 09/08/23 01:20 AM

Lol, here everything turned out to be more difficult:

Quote:
The blade is Robert Eggerling “Quilt “ Pattern Mosiac Damascus. The pattern is probably at least 10 years old. The bolsters don’t look familiar and could be by another maker.
Eggerling Damascus Steel

Someone bought a strip of Damascus steel from Robert and used it on a blade. I think that if you talk to the guys from the ABS forum, they can help with a more accurate definition of the manufacturer of bolsters. But there is an option that it was just some novice master who made it from purchased materials.

I digress a little from the topic. Here is my current favorite. Made in 2003 +1/-2 years from 440C steel. Blade 80 mm, glass-blasted, I don’t know the type of wood, but something tropical, axis lock. Local craftsman Sergey Shirogorov, this was done in his apartment, before they started using CNC. Very smooth movement