WW1 Folder

Posted by: Boomer51

WW1 Folder - 08/24/17 08:54 PM

I don't have a whole lot of folders but this one will always be my favorite - a French folder that my Grandfather picked up in the Meuse-Argonne in WW1. He traded it from a French soldier for a pair of socks.
Posted by: CrazyCajun

Re: WW1 Folder - 08/24/17 09:02 PM

Nice!!! Great history line to go with it!!!!!
Posted by: JE6245

Re: WW1 Folder - 08/25/17 09:31 AM

That's fantastic Dwight! Thanks for sharing. Any idea about the maker of the knife? Government (French) issue maybe?

Re: WW1 Folder - 08/25/17 09:54 AM

Thanks Jim & Steve, glad someone else enjoyed it. I've done a little bit of research on it but haven't found a lot of info. There have been a few others pop up on line and they are also described as French WW1 army knives so I lean towards an issue item. It is supposed to have a locking plate on the bottom with a ring attached, presumably to hang off gear, etc. but no idea where that part is or whether it was on the knife when he brought it back.
Another one that I wished could talk.
Posted by: Windsor

Re: WW1 Folder - 08/25/17 12:02 PM

That's awesome.
Posted by: Brent

Re: WW1 Folder - 08/26/17 04:51 AM

It's shape reminds me of Cold Steels Kudu knife, which is a copy of a okapi(sp?) knife. The ring is pulled down to unlock the blade to close. Simple,but relatively sturdy locking mechanism.
Posted by: Duke

Re: WW1 Folder - 08/28/17 01:41 AM

So very, very cool Dwight. The few things in my possession from my own grandfathers and his brothers service in France during WWI truly are treasures. Thanks for this post.
Posted by: Litch

Re: WW1 Folder - 09/01/17 08:28 AM

Very nice and interesting knife, Dwight. Does it lock the blade in the open position? If so, what is the mechanism?

Thanks for sharing smile

Re: WW1 Folder - 09/01/17 07:48 PM

Thanks guys. Peter, from other ones I've seen there was a locking plate on the bottom that locked the blade in place. Mine no longer has it, not sure if it was there when my grandfather got it or not.