Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho

Posted by: pappy19

Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 09/23/14 10:15 AM

Well, I've been caring my old Benchmade for 14 years and finally decided to buy a Chris Reeve large Sebenza since I found one with a partial serated blade. Why did I wait so long???? I have to say that without a doubt, this is the best folding knife I have had the pleasure of owning. Yes, it is spendy, but so are Randalls and other high quality knives. If you carry a folder with a pocket clip, then you are missing out if you don't have a Chris Reeve. I know I need to include a picture but I don't know how to link my phone camera to the computer, sorry.

Pap
Posted by: Robert Frey

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 09/23/14 02:15 PM

Try Emailing the pic from your camera to yourself, then download it with your computer.
Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 09/23/14 09:40 PM

I've been carrying a small decorated regular Sebenza for years. So long all the colored anodizing is worn off. You can't hurt one and if it gets gunked up, take it apart and clean it and lube the pivot point. Also, if it gets scuffed, and don't have a bead blaster, (who does?) just scotchbrite the snot out of it and it'll look great. Definitely the finest folder made, IMHO.
Posted by: Billy Poyner

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 09/23/14 09:44 PM

Pappy,
I carried Benchmade for years.I owned a Chris Reeves Green Beret,
Neil Roberts and Pacifica fixed blade.Several yrs ago I met Chris at the Blade Show in Atlanta.I have been carrying a small Sebenza
since.I lost my original early part of last year and immediately replaced it and this year I bought a backup from Chris again at the Blade Show.They are great!!

Billy Poyner
RKCC CM 021 RKS 5030
NRA Endowment Life
MM
SO MOTE IT BE

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 09/23/14 10:05 PM

Here's my EDC. I wouldn't carry anything else. (Except maybe a Randall or Behring)
Posted by: Litch

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 09/24/14 03:18 PM

Here is my small Insingo - right out my pocket today. A great EDC, it sees a lot of pocket time smile

I think this grind is really sexy blush

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 09/24/14 06:18 PM

I like the way they chamfered the end of the scales for easier pocket insertion. I believe they started that with the Seb 21s.
Posted by: TAH

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 09/25/14 01:50 PM

Pat & Peter,

Great looking knives you have there. Nothing fancy about them. They're all business. I don't think I have ever heard anyone say they don't like the Sebenza. IMO, they have joined the ranks of the iconic Buck 110/112 in customer satisfaction.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 09/25/14 07:13 PM

The main thing I like about the Seb (besides its quality and toughness) is that it is a "one handed" knife. Pull it out of your pocket, thumb it open, use it, thumb the lock back and close it with first finger and thumb and reinsert into said pocket. All while holding item to be cut in the other hand.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 09/26/14 09:13 AM

That was always the reasoning I used not to buy a Seb since I was so hooked on the "Spyderco" style of the big O instead of a pin. However, once I tried the Seb, the smoothness of the action sold me in an instant. The fact that it is Idaho Made was a big part of my decision as well.

Pap

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 09/26/14 12:18 PM

Buck Knives are made in Idaho too! You need to find one made in 2005. The blade stamp will look like this...

Now back to more great CRKs! smile

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 09/26/14 10:03 PM

I wonder how many knife collectors/fanatics got started with/by a Buck 110. I know I was blown away the first time I saw one in about 1968. They were $17 and that was nearly a half week's pay for a young teenager.
Posted by: Peter_Kaufman

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 09/28/14 11:21 AM

I finally got time to post my three decorated CR knives
two large, one small, two dog paw, and one native American all left hand

Peter

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 09/28/14 11:36 AM

Really like the top one, Peter.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 09/28/14 03:08 PM

Did the Chris Reeve factory engrave those? Man, they are awsome!!

Pap

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 09/28/14 03:53 PM

Thanks
The dog paws are special that Plaza Cutlery has an exclusive on by Chris Reeve and the Native American was a Chris Reeve custom graphics.
I picked up the Native American at a knife show, because it is rare to find a lefty, and now living in the southwest I thought is was really cool.
He does a lot of custom graphics, and I would bet you could send yours back and have something put on it
Peter
Posted by: David

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 09/30/14 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: TAH
Pat & Peter,

Great looking knives you have there. Nothing fancy about them. They're all business. I don't think I have ever heard anyone say they don't like the Sebenza. IMO, they have joined the ranks of the iconic Buck 110/112 in customer satisfaction.

OK, count me in the minority. I used a Sebenza as my EDC a few years ago and I liked it until I found that I could not get it hold an edge. I switched to a Spyderco Native and I love it. That said, I gave a CR Mnandi to a client and he absolutely loves it. I still have the Sebe, and it is certainly nice, but it is not on the top of my list of folders. Maybe I am missing something?

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 09/30/14 10:09 PM

You're not missing anything. People like different things for different reasons.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 10/01/14 10:24 AM

DAvid-
Next time you go to Idaho, take your Sebe to the factory and get it sharpened and detailed. It's not far from the airport.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 10/01/14 05:36 PM

David, this one is REALLY sharp laugh

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 10/04/14 08:38 AM

Finally got my phone to send the Seb picture and I resized it to work. Again, I haven't seen any other Sebenza's with a partial serated edge. I'm sure they are out there, but this is the first one I have run across.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 10/04/14 07:22 PM

I've seen them, but they are rare. Nice one, Pap.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 10/05/14 09:05 AM

I suspect one could send their Seb back to the factory and request the serations, but don't know that for sure.

Pap

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 10/05/14 10:07 AM

I do know that a new blade swap (knife has to be sent to CRK) is about $135. I have an older (regular) small Seb. without thumb notches and have never seen another like that. It's not a user, so it's no biggie, but I like the TNs on my user.
Posted by: pyronaute

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 10/05/14 05:02 PM

I remember well the first time I laid eyes on a Sebenza. It was soon after its introduction to the marketplace. Thought it was neat but resisted obtaining one, perhaps because I was young and didn't have the disposable income necessary for such an 'investment'. When the modified Wharncliff version (Insignio?) was offered by Knife Art several years back, I hinted to my family it would be the perfect Christmas gift for 'the man who has everything'.
Low & behold I received one for Christmas that year. It isn't hyperbole to say I think it's the finest folding knife available. I sure wish I had purchased one 25 years ago. But then, my knife collection wouldn't be as large as it is now.
My advice to anyone contemplating acquisition of one of these masterpieces; DON'T WAIT! Don't deprive yourself of an exquisite example of the cutlerers art.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 10/05/14 05:16 PM

Buy two, one decorated to stash away and fondle from time to time and one to use as an EDC.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 10/06/14 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: pappy19
DAvid-
Next time you go to Idaho, take your Sebe to the factory and get it sharpened and detailed. It's not far from the airport.

Mike, I am going to Idaho tomorrow. But I am not going to Boise on this trip. I am driving up from Sundance to Ketchum. However, I did notice that CRK is close to the Boise airport. I will take my knife in the next time I am in town. Thanks!
Posted by: LarryWW1246

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 10/12/14 08:40 PM

David--

I had the same problem with the Small Sebenza I carried in the '90's. I found it would not stay sharp with minimal usage, so sent it back to be restored to new condition and sold it.

Since then, they have improved steel, and have better edge holding. And if you have a problem with one they will stand behind it--I just did not think the problem I had with the one I sold was typical of their knives.

Heck, the Benchmade I have carried for about 12 years also is not great at holding an edge, even though I sent it back and had a newer blade installed.

Back to the Sebenza--at the time I was buying wholesale from Chris and retailing them at shows. Talking to him one day, I asked if he would put serrations on some blades for me or if that might be offered as an option at some point. Flat out no way, he did not see a reason for serrations. I'm sure that he and others like him have all kinds of things thrown at them, and the process of interrupting normal work flow to accommodate customers' whims is probably too disruptive.

However, now that they offer serrations--I have not bought one of them! The reason: I have not found a way to re-sharpen the serrations well enough on Spyderco knives, so I doubt I could maintain a serrated Sebenza as well as I would like.

Larry

P.S.: I keep telling myself that Spyderco has the sharpest blades out-of-the-box, but I am not assured that I or Spyderco can return their knives to their original level of sharpness when they come out of the factory.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 10/14/14 12:33 AM

Larry,

Thanks for the extra info. I appreciate it. As those that follow my posts know, my knives are all users - I have no use for a "pretty" anything unless it is functional. If I carry a Spyderco or Randall or Rolex in the field, it is because it is functional. I don't care how pretty it is.

Thanks,

David

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 10/14/14 07:41 AM

Same here. Buy quality and only cry once.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 10/14/14 09:21 AM

Looks to me that a small ceramic rod would sharpen the serrations quite well. I believe the "trick" is not to let any edge get dull; I steel all my blades after use. My thought on the Seb with serrations is to use that portion of the blade for rope or similar.

Pap
Posted by: pcrcrepaira

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 02/08/16 10:57 AM

Personally I find an India stone for the first step then down to a Black Arkansas followed by a translucent Arkansas...the rods are a bit difficult to hold the correct angel (29degrees) . Th get a really sharp edge don't use oil or water in the final two steps. The oil will suspend the metal pieces and worn off stone and Gall the edge. When the stone loads up with metal clean the surface with light oil or mineral spirits.then back to sharpening
Posted by: Duke

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 02/08/16 04:29 PM

Tom,....kind of similar to this one,

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 02/09/16 08:55 AM

That's it, Duke. Those Idaho stamps are becoming quite collectable and hard to find.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 08/20/16 11:44 PM

Here is Pap with the man himself, Chris Reeve at the Idaho Knife Association Annual Show today. Chris is a very down to earth fellow and was happy to take this photo. Yes, I did buy another Chris Reeve. Pictures to follow.

Pao
Posted by: Duke

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 08/21/16 02:17 AM

I'd like to order 2 copies of this pic. Pappy..... with BOTH of your autographs of course!

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 08/21/16 08:20 AM

Pap
Great photo, looking forward to seeing you new Chris Reeve knife.
Did you see any other knives that you liked

Peter
Posted by: Lofty

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 08/21/16 12:23 PM

What great photos and put me in line for copy with your autograph, but still am unclear who that "other guy" is basking in the glow of the famous Mike Allen who truly knows his way around the woods.

Thanks for taking time on a busy day to post that.

As for serrations, a tapered ceramic rod, or even better, the Spyderco sharpmaker gizmo, touch up scallops and then quick swipe down back side to remove burr, BUT, it never looks like a shop/factory job, and best results/looks always to let shop/factory redo with original grinder/polisher. 10-4 on rope/belts/heavy reinforced hose/kevlar-glass reinforced fabrics/etc.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 08/21/16 01:13 PM

Since the Chris Reeve knife shop is here in Boise, I can stop by any time and get a free sharpening. I haven't needed to so far since I use a steel on the front half of the blade without serrations. BTW, the Reeve folks said they aren't making any more serated blades, so better get one now.

Pap

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 08/21/16 02:34 PM

Not even Spyderco, who popularized serrations, makes a knife the way I would like. The serrations fantastic on hard to reach, poor leverage, cutting jobs, such as that cold welded radiator hose way down yonder. While we knife users mainly use a blade up closer to handle for much work, where we have better leverage and control for finer work. But very very few knives have ever been made with serrations out front and plain edge in back. Or, if they did, production was not run long enough to bring folk around to idea that for most folk in normal jobs, that this version was best, everyone fixating on the rope cut idea of max pull up close, and relegating them to rope-knives and totally bolixing normal use of the knife plain edge.

Personally, I cannot blame him for dropping serrations, very few folk work enough with knives to use them, and they open up a new can of worms as for problems for owners to complain about. I sure hope he keeps his equipment for repair/resharpen of customers existing knives.
Posted by: desert.snake

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 08/21/16 04:17 PM

Lofty, bit offtopic - GAK 111 mm,
I think it will be a long time to go with half-serrated blade smile

Chris Reeve made excellent knives.
I ordered one large sebenza 21,
really looking forward to sending.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 08/21/16 05:47 PM

No pictures yet, but I bought one of their small Inkosi models. For all of you with Sebenza's, this new model, both large and small, will knock your socks off. Chris Reece redesigned the entire pivot and it is unbelievably smoother. Even as smooth as the Sebenza is, the Inkosi beats it, hands down. I still love my Large Sebenza, but I can't help but keep flipping the blade on my small Inkosi.

Pap
Posted by: CrazyCajun

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 08/21/16 05:57 PM

Now that is just a plain teaser post!!! Penalty!

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 08/21/16 06:02 PM

I bought an Inkosi about 6 months ago. It looks like a smaller Seb 25. They are both fine knives. The pocket clip on the Inkosi is slanted toward the center of the handle.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 08/21/16 06:38 PM

They brought out a couple of prototypes of their latest Inkosi models with raised micarta ridges. I tried to buy one but they said they were one off's and I could order one for a 4 month delivery. I declined and bought the current one.

Pap
Posted by: Holzinger258

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 08/21/16 08:26 PM

Inkosi (small) has been my "dress" edc for quite a while...
Very nice knife

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 08/21/16 11:05 PM

I still am waiting for Pappy's pictures. Sabenzas are as rare as Randalls around here, and I only know one person local who owns one. And BOY is he a proud papa.

DS, the current SAK/GAK one of the few I meant ever made.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 08/22/16 12:59 AM

A picture of my Sebenza with the serrations is on page 3 of this thread. I'll try and get a picture of my new one soon.

Pap

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 08/22/16 01:09 AM

oh yah...looked at that to see his serration style before commenting on sharpening....which ideally needs two size constant diameter rods, or wheels as shops likely use...plus local pal and his pride and joy, and it IS a modern machinist work of art...but would like to see your new toy when you get a chance.....of course.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 12/08/16 08:26 AM

I guess you Chris Reeve fans know that Chris and his wife split up and SHE got the company!! Chris is "retired" and she is running the company's day to day operations. Apparently that was what she has been doing for a long time while Chris was traveling around the world promoting his brand. Anyway, I found this interesting.

Pap
Posted by: Steven

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 12/08/16 01:18 PM

Just went thru this thread again, interesting. Did not know about the split or his wife getting the company. Interested in seeing what develops.
Posted by: Tanasie

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 12/08/16 05:53 PM

Here is a photo of one of my CRK Sebenza's..it's a Large Model 21 with a Damascus Steel Blade and CCG "Eyes".

[img:center]http://[/img]

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 12/08/16 07:04 PM

Wow, that's a great version.

Pap

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 12/08/16 07:16 PM

I guess maybe that's why they are boxed with "Crucible Industries" labels? Maybe (hopefully) the original CRK Sebs will appreciate.
Posted by: ctdair

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 02/15/17 06:26 PM

Just as I was always aware of Randall's mystique I was also aware of the Sebenza and its mystique. I got my first Randall in 2000. I just received my first Sebenza this month. Wow why did I wait so long.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 02/15/17 06:28 PM

Forgot to mention purchased from Miles. Great deal
Posted by: CrazyCajun

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 02/15/17 08:08 PM

Got mine from Miles as well!

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 02/16/17 07:58 AM

Thought I had posted this before, but here are mine. The one with the wood is gone. And I've since added an Inkosi.
Posted by: desert.snake

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 02/16/17 08:02 AM

Very beautiful specimens smile

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 02/16/17 07:28 PM

Next one I want a Unique Graphic with a Cabochon.
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 02/17/17 03:38 PM

Mitchell got a matched pair on cabochon uniques from me, complete with killer Kenny Rowe sheaths! Check out his website.
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: tunefink

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 02/17/17 07:44 PM

I do have a pair........

Sebenzas Link

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 02/18/17 06:45 AM

Little bit above budget right now. Definitely a nice package with the sheaths.
Posted by: JB in SC

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 04/24/17 09:25 PM

My small lefty Inksoi, I've carried it everyday for six months...

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 07/20/17 12:40 PM

My only CRK... smile

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 07/20/17 07:28 PM

That's a collector piece now. As years go on, they keep increasing in value. Good one.

Pap
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 07/20/17 07:58 PM

Never owned a CR but always admired his work. With the current state of the company now I agree with Pappy the value of his knives are heading north. Great piece, thanks for sharing.
Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 07/20/17 08:26 PM

Wow! Ya Think?

Mountaineer... Have had it for a while.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 07/20/17 08:30 PM

Nice get bro. Surprised it didn't make it on one of those Scout outings.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 07/20/17 08:37 PM

Thanks Warren!
...It might have ... can't remember that far back! eek

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 07/20/17 08:47 PM

Lol brother.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 07/21/17 08:35 AM

Randalls, Bucks, CRK Mountaineer...Tony, we have the same taste in knives. smile

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 07/24/17 08:28 AM

Looks like it Tom!
grin

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 08/20/18 11:49 PM

The CRK table was next to me at this show. They have a new slip joint that was the best of show at Blade and is being made now. Not for sale yet, but they had a couple of samples this weekend. Very smooth and classy knife. Made for the pocket but tough enough for most every day use. Anne Reeve was one manning their table. Nice lady.

Pap

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 06/18/19 12:03 AM

Still carrying EDC, my Chris Reeve Large Sebenza with 1/2 serrated blade after 5 years, and love it. Anyone else carrying a Chris Reeve?

Pap
Posted by: Sidney_Redford

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 06/18/19 10:20 AM

Pap I have one that I bought in 2005-6. I carry it quite often but not everyday. It is one sweet blade.
Posted by: Holzinger258

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 06/18/19 02:02 PM

My EDCs are a large Sebenza in belt pouch (with jeans) and a small Inkosi with pocket clip (with khakis). The Sebbie is on my belt right now.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 06/18/19 03:50 PM

Pappy, Here are 2 small folders I have as users.

Small Sebenza

Impinda
Posted by: KENKAN

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 06/18/19 04:40 PM

Pap,
Been carrying my small sebenza every day for the last 21 years.
Showed it to one of Cris's son at The Blade Show last week and he could not believe that I had been carrying that long without losing.

Ken Lambert
RKCC CM-020 RKS #3610
NRA Benefactor
FOP

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 06/18/19 04:55 PM

Ken--

That "losing" thing is no joke.

I posted how I lost one in the pouch off my belt that I had forgotten to re-buckle on a horseback hunt south of Jackson Hole.

Hope somebody found it along the trail....

Larry

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 06/20/19 12:46 PM

The clip on the Impinda is so tough, I'd have to loose my jeans with it as well laugh
Posted by: tunefink

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 06/20/19 01:29 PM

Love the knives, carry a Sebbie every day. I have broken or bent the clips. I replaced with these..... deep carry is much better IMHO.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Titanium-Deep-Carry-Clip-Made-for-Chris-Reeve-Knives-Sebenza-21-Small/171832252523?hash=item280200186b:m:mGWW18o8Xna3LAlWYBtPHvw

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 06/20/19 03:50 PM

Thanks Tune, just ordered one for mine.

Pap

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 06/20/19 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: tunefink
Love the knives, carry a Sebbie every day. I have broken or bent the clips. I replaced with these..... deep carry is much better IMHO.

I'd really love to put a clip like this on my Impinda. They'll probably make one soon wink
Here is the relevant side:

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 06/21/19 01:17 PM

The Small Sebenza I lost was in the original two-way (vertical or horizontal) nylon belt pouch. (They did not put external clips on the knife in those days.)

We had tied up the horses and gone on a walkabout. When we came back, we found the horses had been spooked by something (we assumed elk), and one had busted loose and his reins were dangling and one stirrup had been torn loose.

After we got things straightened out, I undid my belt to re-tuck my shirt, then forgot to re-buckle the belt. The pouch with the knife put enough weight on the belt to pull it out of the pant loops, and fell off somewhere "out there."

Lessons learned.

But...I still like the type belt pouch they had in those days.

Larry

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 06/22/19 01:00 AM

Here are my favorite CRK's from my collection.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 06/22/19 09:15 AM

Beauties, all, very nice.

Pap

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 06/22/19 09:55 AM

Very, very nice, Rex.
The Damascus is outstanding.
Posted by: Kirko

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 06/23/19 04:44 PM

Just got a Inkosi Small ... the break in period was a bit disturbing for me , but the outcome was very rewarding ! Love it !

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 06/23/19 05:58 PM

As for the CRK Damascus. It's too sharp. A leather strop keeps it
that way. I do not carry the raindrop example (Top). The one I do use is pictured at the bottom. Their Basketweave would be just as nice I would imagine.
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 06/23/19 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Kirko
Just got a Inkosi Small ... the break in period was a bit disturbing for me , but the outcome was very rewarding!

Could you elaborate a little more on that statement please, just curious? Thank-You !!

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 06/24/19 02:51 AM

The blade was hard to open , got a case of "Chris Reeve" thumb 🤓 , the tolerances are very exact. So I worked the blade back and worth as Chris Reeve Advised. After awhile it was fine. I'll clean it in a few weeks and should be perfect.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 06/24/19 03:25 AM

https://chrisreeve.com/blogs/how-tos/break-in
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 06/24/19 09:30 AM

Thank-You....

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 04/23/20 03:46 PM

My small collection of Chris Reeve folders:

2000 Classic modified by Butch Vallotton to D/A
Large Sebenza Damascus
Small Sebenza
Small Sebenza tanto
Ti-lock

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 04/23/20 04:38 PM

Wow, all very nice. Do you EDC any particular one?

Pap

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 04/23/20 05:01 PM

All of them but the ti-lock. I mostly carry the 2 small Sebenza’s. The Tanto blade is my current favorite. I lost a Damascus small Sebenza when it must of hooked on my jacket and left my pocket. I looked everywhere for days, so someone found a hell of a knife.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 04/24/20 07:17 AM

A very nice collection of Sebenzas, Eric smile
I have never had a Damascus version though. Does the etch show wear easily?

Here are my Regulars:

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 04/24/20 08:07 AM

Peter, Thanks, you have very nice grouping as well.

Since I retired 8 years ago, I only use my folders for easy jobs. Opening packages, cutting cardboard up, taking tags off of products. So no issues with that. Oil the blade and the blade looks brand new again. The leather strop keeps the keen edge. I am saving up for a replacement small Damascus carbon fiber example.

P. S. I donated that jacket to the Salvation Army.
Posted by: GHD

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 11/28/20 03:24 PM

My EDC since I bought it in 08.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 12/02/20 01:40 AM

Here are a few more of my CRK's...I find them more addictive than RMS's.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 12/02/20 10:08 AM

All 3 of those are awesome!! Those hollow handle Chris Reeve knives are going through the roof in value. Very nice!

Pap

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 04/05/21 05:33 PM

I recently found a couple of Boomerang Damascus small Sebenza’s, pictured with the UTX 85 that Miles sold me awhile back.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 04/05/21 05:37 PM

Another recent add. Large Inkosi Flat Dark Earth.
Posted by: aaron

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 04/05/21 07:47 PM

Eric,
Nice looking knives!Do you like the 31 design over the 21?

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 04/05/21 10:33 PM

I've been to their shop here in Boise, twice. Once at their original shop and then to their larger, nicer shop. Also they had a big table at the Idaho Knife,Show usually in August, that happened to be right next to mine. Very nice people and a great knife maker too.

Pap

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 04/05/21 10:33 PM

Aaron, Thanks. The first Regular small Sebenza’s are my favorite. These are my first 2- 31’s. The pocket clip is now off-set in that it no longer fully rests on the lock-bar, which is an improvement.
Posted by: Leatherman

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 11/12/21 09:41 AM

Large Inkosi, loving this insingo blade
Posted by: mic214

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 01/03/22 04:27 PM

I am in the process of doing a little horse trading for this Large Sebenza. Can anyone ID the model (21 or 31 etc...?). I looked on CRK's website and I don't see the handle profile offered.

I am thinking that this is may be an earlier production Sebenza.

Thanks,

Mick

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 01/03/22 08:30 PM

Mick--

Ask the seller for the paperwork and box that came with the knife.

That will tell you all about it.

Larry

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 01/03/22 09:00 PM

Yep, the birth certificate tells all.

Pap

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 01/03/22 09:41 PM

I’ll see if he has the paperwork for it. I’m not sure he has any. When I asked what model this was, all he said was it was a Large Sebenza.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 01/04/22 02:03 AM

Mick, it is a “Large Regular” Sebenza that had been built between 1996 - 2008. If you take it apart, the markings on the blade will tell you if it is an early one with BG42 or a later with S30V. They are highly sought after wink

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 01/04/22 02:59 AM

The box should have a label with the name on it and the Blade Show sticker is another hint. If it’s the correct box to this knife wink

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 01/04/22 10:54 AM

@Litch,

Thanks for the info. I’ll ask if he has the box. How much is one of these worth?

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 01/04/22 01:20 PM

From watching action on eBay, they tend to sell pretty close to retail, sometimes a bit less with a motivated seller.

They don't tend to bring a premium just because they are older, not even from way back in the 1990's with the original designs.

The only ones that bring higher prices have do-dads to pretty up the handles, but those prices tend to also be in line with the retail prices.

If you can buy this one at a discount from current retail prices, that would be a bit of a bargain.

Others might disagree, but you should not have to pay a premium for it.

Larry

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 01/09/22 02:29 PM

I received the Sebenza yesterday. It only came with the box and a small allen wrench. No other paperwork or kit. So I have no idea when it was made or what kind of steel the blade is. The box has a label with "Large Sebenza" on one end. The top of the box has a sticker with:

1984-1997
13 Years of Excellence
Chris Reeve Knives

I took it apart to clean it and there were no stampings inside of the handles, but there was a faint "31" etched into the side of the blade near the pivot hole.

The edges of the the handles have small grooves in them that go from front to the back.

It definitely is a "User" as it has some scuff and scratches on it, but other than that, it is in beautiful shape.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 01/09/22 05:05 PM

It is a nice knife.

I have bought and sold a number over the years.

They eventually moved away from the lesser steels to better ones. I don't know what they were using in 1997 when your knife was made, but they can tell you.

They can also probably tell you what the 31 indicates.

According to info at this website your 1997 knife probably has a BG-42 blade. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebenza

If it holds a good edge, then you should get good use from it.

Congratulations.

Larry
Posted by: GHD

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 01/10/22 10:29 PM

I bought mine back in 2008, been carrying it everyday since.

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 01/11/22 05:53 AM

CRK did make some decent fixed blades, too laugh

Re: Chris Reeve-Boise, Idaho - 01/11/22 09:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Litch
CRK did make some decent fixed blades, too laugh

I always loved the looked of the CRK fixed blades. I never owned one as the siren song of the Randall lured me away and I never looked back!