A Behring Made Sword

Posted by: Behring Made

A Behring Made Sword - 05/17/16 11:03 AM

Well gents, here we have it. If I end up writing the coffee table book about James someday, you fellas can bet this one will be featured. She measures 28 1/2" from tip to guard and is forged from spring steel so it's got real nice flex. Truth is, we had to make an entirely new forge just for this project in order to properly keep the entire blade hot at the forge. Over a year and a half in the making, which is definitely a record for us. The guard and butt plate are both blued 01 tool tool steel and the tang runs all the way through the butt plate which is pinned with aluminum. On the handle you're seeing fossil walrus, musk ox boss, horsehide, copper and aluminum. My hopes are to go with a black ostrich inlay sheath, but ultimately the gentleman who ordered this one will be the decision maker. I'm almost 100% sure that he isn't socially active in the knife collecting world, so I had to make sure you fellas saw this one. Overall measures is 38 1/2" and it weighs 4 pounds and 14 oz. Amazing.

-GC

Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: A Behring Made Sword - 05/17/16 11:10 AM

WOW AWESOME & AMAZING!!!!!

That is just toooooo much. Great work fella's. and really Grant, thank you for sharing it on the forum...

Perhaps it should put in a guest appearance at Blade..???? cool

Re: A Behring Made Sword - 05/17/16 11:15 AM

Ya know I was thinking that would be fun, but we will have at least 200 lbs of knives to check on the flight as it is, so an additional rifle case with a sword in it isn't likely.

Guess you just have to fly out to Missoula this weekend and see it for yourself....

Re: A Behring Made Sword - 05/17/16 11:16 AM

ok THAT plan makes WAYYYY more sense. Can I sleep at the forge/shop though? I will bring my own blow up mattress sleep

Re: A Behring Made Sword - 05/17/16 11:54 AM

Of course! The brewery is right across the street too, and they actually pour free beer....

Re: A Behring Made Sword - 05/17/16 11:58 AM

That could be the greatest vacation Evahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Really awesome work guys, as always. The gentleman who gets this will be floored. He should probably open it up sitting at a table. Just fantastic craftsmanship!!!
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: A Behring Made Sword - 05/17/16 01:29 PM

I can see that as a cane/sword with the right scabbard. That thing is definitely a man sized blade. I may need to put that on my wish list Grant.
Posted by: GCTom41

Re: A Behring Made Sword - 05/17/16 03:03 PM

Grant & James,

Pretty Awesome; that Sword and a Scimitar will be my next order. A Mace would look pretty good with that too! My 'King of Thrones' Commission.

Tom Flynn

Re: A Behring Made Sword - 05/17/16 03:38 PM

Hey Tom,

Don't worry we'll make room for that sword. Lol
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: A Behring Made Sword - 05/17/16 05:04 PM

my god!!!
it never stops!!
Absolutely beautiful!!!
:-)Rocky
Posted by: Tattoo Bill

Re: A Behring Made Sword - 05/17/16 05:43 PM

Another "Over The Top" creation!
Posted by: Buck Buchanan

Re: A Behring Made Sword - 05/18/16 01:26 PM

Another reason I hate to take a peak at this Forum.

I'll "Grant" you this, grin its a new milestone for your Shop.

Guess that would be a "no-no" for carry-on baggage. whistle

Great work there fellers. Looking forward to seeing Y'All at Blade.
Posted by: Robert Frey

Re: A Behring Made Sword - 05/18/16 08:07 PM

How much distal taper is there from the guard to the tip?

Re: A Behring Made Sword - 05/19/16 12:37 PM

Good question Rob. I'll look into that when it comes back in leather.

Re: A Behring Made Sword - 05/19/16 12:56 PM

we will DEFINITELY need an updated sheath/scabbard photo... PLEASE????
Posted by: GCTom41

Re: A Behring Made Sword - 05/20/16 05:39 AM

That sword needs a shoulder harness!

Tom Flynn
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: A Behring Made Sword - 05/20/16 10:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Robert Frey
How much distal taper is there from the guard to the tip?

How would that be measured, or calculated ?
This was an interesting question.

Re: A Behring Made Sword - 05/21/16 12:57 AM

Mike,

It's the cross section thickness and easily measured with a caliper or micrometer along the blade. In other words the blade is thinning to the point.

Re: A Behring Made Sword - 05/21/16 07:50 AM

Thank You Warren, I was trying to make more out of it that what it is.
Simple enough..
Posted by: Chief

Re: A Behring Made Sword - 05/21/16 01:37 PM

The amount of taper has to do with what type of fighting you will use it for.
It's easier to thrust through armour than slice in a swing or hacking motion.
But since nobody wears armour today, muchless truly know how to handle a sword.
I would be more concerned with barcol & flexibility,
sooner or later if you used it you will hit it flat side on in a strike or block.
Then you could end up with a shorter sword.
Posted by: Holzinger258

Re: A Behring Made Sword - 05/21/16 03:10 PM

Looking at the side view of a sword blade, distal taper can be uniform (where the taper is even from hilt to point), concave (tapering more sharply near the hilt and more gradually toward the point), or convex (gradual near the hilt and sharper toward the point). It could even be complex , for whatever reason the swordmaker made it that way. Each of these designs gives the blade different characteristics (for example, fast bladework would be easier with a concave distal taper).

SIDE VIEW OF BLADE:

Re: A Behring Made Sword - 05/21/16 09:27 PM

Thank You Chief and Steve for the additional input on the subject. I'm having a much better understanding on the subject.
Much appreciated !!

Re: A Behring Made Sword - 05/23/16 07:10 PM

Good explanations guys!

Just an FYI, look up the name Peter Johnsson, he's a swordsmith from Sweden who gets to examine the real antiques, and uses that data to make new designs.

Posted by: BladesNBarrels

Re: A Behring Made Sword - 05/23/16 07:20 PM

look up the name Peter Johnsson, he's a swordsmith from Sweden who gets to examine the real antiques, and uses that data to make new designs.

Kind of like Norm on New Yankee Workshop used to do. He would pick up antique furniture, choose the best features, and create a current piece that would instantly become a collectible.

Re: A Behring Made Sword - 05/23/16 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: BladesNBarrels
look up the name Peter Johnsson, he's a swordsmith from Sweden who gets to examine the real antiques, and uses that data to make new designs.

Kind of like Norm on New Yankee Workshop used to do. He would pick up antique furniture, choose the best features, and create a current piece that would instantly become a collectible.

Yes. Check out Albion Swords Ltd., they use his designs for their swords.

P.S.Don't blame me though if you start buying them. LOL