Wanted Black Crutch Tip

Posted by: Ronnie

Wanted Black Crutch Tip - 07/06/19 10:14 PM

I need a correct Black 20/1 Crutch Tip for a late 60’s or early 70’s Mod. 18.
Thanks for any help.
Ronnie
Posted by: LarryWW1246

Re: Wanted Black Crutch Tip - 07/07/19 04:34 PM

Ronnie--

Pete Hamilton once told me to go the store and buy a standard crutch tip for one of the older Model 18's. He said they did not use a "special" tip for those knives, just bought them off the shelf.

I might be corrected on this if DW or somebody perhaps knows more than I was told.

Larry

Re: Wanted Black Crutch Tip - 07/07/19 10:34 PM

Thanks Larry but there was a special tip that was used at least most of the time. It was marked with a 20 over 1 I think. At any rate that is what I’m looking for.
Thank you for your help.
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Wanted Black Crutch Tip - 07/08/19 05:33 AM

It ain't black Ronnie, but it's a # 20...
http://www.rmkcollector.com/product-details/unobtanium-vintage-white-crutch-tip
Posted by: crutchtip

Re: Wanted Black Crutch Tip - 07/08/19 08:17 AM

It wasn't a "special"l tip at the time, and what Pete said is exactly correct. It was an off the shelf item purchased at a local hardware store.

They were manufactured in the States by - the name escapes me at the moment - and as more and more manufacturing shifted to China, they disappeared.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Wanted Black Crutch Tip - 07/08/19 08:44 AM

I have seen these kinds.

Re: Wanted Black Crutch Tip - 07/08/19 10:50 AM

Bingo!

Franklin. They are still in business, but I believe it is a different product, probably made in China.

Re: Wanted Black Crutch Tip - 07/08/19 12:27 PM

NMot knowing any better, I assume the "1" inside the original crutch tip means it was 1-inch diameter.

Here is a knife on eBay that looks as if the rubber crutch tip was smaller--notice the bulge where the handle ends inside it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Randall-Made-Knives-Model-18-7-5-Solingen-Crutch-Tip-Riveted-Sheath-Vietnam-Era/132797943083?hash=item1eeb5fcd2b:g:fI4AAOSwtM1brQiY

Perhaps it was replaced by an owner at some point?

The Model 18 at the above link looks to be an older knife, and it might be expected that an original rubber tip would have degraded over the years.

Or possibly the shop used different ones at different times?

Larry

Re: Wanted Black Crutch Tip - 07/08/19 03:15 PM

You are correct. It is probably a 3/4" someone found to put on after the original was lost.

Re: Wanted Black Crutch Tip - 07/08/19 07:11 PM

Our info is constantly changing with regards to our Randall Knives. At one time, maybe in the old newsletter or a book the 20 over 1 was the Crutch Tip we needed.

Re: Wanted Black Crutch Tip - 07/09/19 09:26 AM

Ronnie--

If I were you, I would hold out for one that matches what RMK had on hand and used back in the day.

Although Pete did not make an issue of what they used (telling me to just buy one), it is logical to think they had stocked a version and pulled one out of the box to put on the knives as they were finished.

Who knows, maybe somewhere there is a batch of the Franklin 20 over 1 USA made tips waiting to be found an appreciated. Think maybe medical supply companies that have been in business for a long time, and who might simply have them put back someplace and only look for them when a customer brings in their crutches or canes to buy a new tip.

Larry

Re: Wanted Black Crutch Tip - 07/09/19 11:33 AM

Unlikely, but not impossible. I have been looking for 30 years.

RMK used more than one type of tip with the ribbed one seen on a few early pieces.

Franklin still makes them, but I have no idea if and how they are marked. I would think if they were still marked the same way, there wouldn't be a shortage, as there are more than a few 18's sans original tips.
Posted by: TAH

Re: Wanted Black Crutch Tip - 07/09/19 12:42 PM

How about keeping an eye on eBay for "vintage crutches" that might have the older tip?
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Wanted Black Crutch Tip - 07/09/19 06:19 PM

if Crutch ain't found um....they ain't out there....
I'm just say'n....
:-)Rocky

Re: Wanted Black Crutch Tip - 07/09/19 11:33 PM

Thank you all for the help and advise.