Blade Show Giveaway

Posted by: HALORANGER

Blade Show Giveaway - 04/30/12 04:18 PM

I wanted to show you guys some damascus blades I grinded out the weekend. The damascus is from Alabama Damascus Steel. There are 4 types of steel in the blank with 416 layers. The types of steel are 52100,5160,203E and 15N20. These are the first damascus knives I have started working on. The larger blade is going to be a stag handle hunter for a guy at work. I was able to make 2 mini #1 replicas with the left over steel. I will give one of these away at the Blade Show RKAA/RKCA meeting. I am sure the Captain will come up with an idea on the best way to do this. I will post pictures of the builds progress.
Posted by: rodbrown

Re: Blade Show Giveaway - 04/30/12 04:32 PM

Jimmy
I look forward to seeing the finished product in Atlanta. Good looking blade.
Posted by: Robert Frey

Re: Blade Show Giveaway - 04/30/12 04:53 PM

Those should look great!
Posted by: Peter_Kaufman

Re: Blade Show Giveaway - 04/30/12 05:09 PM

Jimmy
Those look great so far and that is very generous of you.
I can't make Blade this year, but I am hoping to go next year.

Peter
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Blade Show Giveaway - 04/30/12 05:43 PM

Jimmy,
I got your email but, as you may have guessed, I "over birth-dayed" all weekend! I'll supply some nice handle "stuff" if you like...and I'll buy the remaining one..."BUT"...(I know)...Ya' gotta make it into a Model #5 styled user!
What say you?
Thanks, Capt. Chris

Re: Blade Show Giveaway - 04/30/12 07:38 PM

Happy Birthday Captain,
If you supply some handle stuff, I will make the #5 style user for ya out of the bottom blank. The material does not need to be very big, probally 3/4 X 2 1/2" long. I would much rather trade for things than receive money. Looks like I'am gonna have to buy some more of this damascus.

Re: Blade Show Giveaway - 05/09/12 06:19 PM

Here are some pictures of the knifes progress. I went with RWB spacers, brass double hilt and lignum vitae handle. I will try to get time to finish it this weekend. I hope everybody likes it so far. For those of you that can't make the Blade Show like myself, I will make a giveaway mini for the forum soon. Let me know some ideas of what you guys want and I'll try to make it.

Re: Blade Show Giveaway - 05/11/12 11:59 AM

Here it is close to completion. I need to sharpen it and do a final buffing. I also need to make the sheath and off to the Captain for the show. I think who ever wins this knife will be very satisfied with its quality. If not I will buy it back for 50 bucks. I was not able to stamp this mini becuase of its size, but I will stamp the sheath.
Posted by: Ironworker

Re: Blade Show Giveaway - 05/11/12 01:12 PM

Great work Jimmy, Your knife making just keeps getting better,WaltRKS#5924

Re: Blade Show Giveaway - 05/11/12 04:04 PM

Thanks Walt. I am starting to learn a lot of do's and don'ts. I wish I had more time to devot to this hobby.
Posted by: Robert Frey

Re: Blade Show Giveaway - 05/11/12 04:33 PM

Looks really good.
Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: Blade Show Giveaway - 05/11/12 04:54 PM

Really Cool, Jimmy!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Ironworker

Re: Blade Show Giveaway - 05/11/12 05:08 PM

BO RANDALL PROBABLY SAID THE SAME THING,WALT

Re: Blade Show Giveaway - 05/12/12 07:40 AM

Thanks Rob and Tony.

Re: Blade Show Giveaway - 05/12/12 09:47 AM

Here are the finished knives. I hope to get them shipped out today.
Posted by: Oldvetnam1

Re: Blade Show Giveaway - 05/13/12 06:06 AM

That's a great looking pair of knives Jimmy.

Re: Blade Show Giveaway - 05/13/12 07:46 AM

Thanks Steve.

Re: Blade Show Giveaway - 05/13/12 08:30 AM

Jimmy,
Well...After 3 days "On The Road" and picking up my computer for the shop, I can finally post properly here on the forums again. The knives look fantastic in your photos. I can't wait to fondle them in person. Thanks again for kind offer and contribution to the "Troops Treasury".
After I saw your photos I got thinkin'. That's a dangerous thing for me to do. I am considering using "both" knives in a "silent bid" during the Blade show. More to come...
Thanks again, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Steven

Re: Blade Show Giveaway - 05/13/12 10:14 AM

Jimmy
Those are looking good.
Posted by: Duke

Re: Blade Show Giveaway - 05/13/12 12:37 PM

Really, really nice work, Jimmy. Anybody would be proud to own and use those.

Re: Blade Show Giveaway - 05/13/12 01:03 PM

Thanks Steven and Duke.

Capt,
Do what ever you think is best for the Troops since that is what its all about. I will continue to donate knifes for this great cause. I just received my smaller stamp in the mail. I hope to make some more blades next weekend.

Re: Blade Show Giveaway - 05/13/12 01:34 PM

Jimmy,
Give me a call. I have some ideas about the knives. Simply giving one away at the annual RKCC meeting will certainly be appreciated. I just don't think it will "directly" benefit the RKC"A" and the "Troops Treasury".
Thanks, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Rob_Schoening

Re: Blade Show Giveaway - 05/13/12 10:46 PM

Very nice work Jimmy...and very generous of you!