"Cast Handle" Ruana Knives

Posted by: lunde

"Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/15/10 08:57 AM

As far as I am aware, there are four basic types of Cast Handle knives that are made by Ruana Knives: Stickers, Skinners, Bowies, and a Hatchet. The way in which the handles for their Cast Handle knives are made is very unique, and results in an incredibly durable knife.

If you have photos of a Cast Handle knife, please contribute it to this thread.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/15/10 10:17 AM

My first Cast Handle knife is a 20 B "Skinner" that has a five-inch blade:

Here it is in its sheath:

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/15/10 10:19 AM

My second Cast Handle knife is a 5 AD "Drop Point Sticker" with a four-inch blade:

Here it is in its sheath:

Posted by: pappy19

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/15/10 10:55 AM

Also, all of the "horn" slab handles are made with western bull elk antlers which is unique in the knife making business as you hardly ever see elk antlers used as handle material. I'm not sure why since Ruana has been using elk antlers for 50 years and I've never seen one that has cracked or broken. The Ruana factory might discuss this some time if they ever get any returns for broken elk handles.

Pap
Posted by: Tom_D

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/15/10 11:01 AM

Ken,good idea, many thanks for your efforts in setting up this Forum. Here is my first pic for your Forum, my R.H. Ruana #22-H Hatchet.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/15/10 11:01 AM

Here's a nice example of a R.H. Ruana hatchet. While this one is unused, it sure fits your hand like no other hatchet you have ever tried. It is perfect as a game hatchet. I once saw a Ruana hatchet/small skinner combo setup custom made at Ruana and would be nice to see one here.

Pap

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/15/10 11:09 AM

Pap, here is my R.H. Ruana #10-B Skinner, also referred to as the "Smokejumper". This would make a good combo with the Hatchet.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/15/10 11:54 AM

Here's my Smokejumper I had made with a wrist thong and parry strip also with a full flap sheath. Cute little devil.

Pap

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/15/10 09:04 PM

The photos of the "10 B" knives pushed me off the proverbial fence, and I called Mike this morning to ask if any were available for "instant gratification." Luckily, one was available, and is either on its way to me already, or will be tomorrow. grin

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/15/10 09:59 PM

Regarding the 10B-Smokejumper, therre is a definate difference in the blade design between the older R.H. version and the newer Ruana design. You can sure see the difference in the photos. I think the newer design is a better "user" but the older design is more classic Ruana. Years ago, I used to give R.H. Smokejumer knives to my close friends for a Christmas present. I have since told them that I am an Indian giver and want all of them back. To date, I have had no response from my "friends".

Pap

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/15/10 10:14 PM

I had a chance to fondle a 10 B when I visited Ruana Knives in July. The fact that I didn't buy it on the spot has been haunting me since, but that has been rectified. I look forward to receiving it.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/15/10 10:37 PM

You should know what happens when you fondle.

Pap

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/15/10 10:50 PM

Mike, you wrote:
Quote:
You should know what happens when you fondle.
One goes blind? wink

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/16/10 01:27 AM

I decided to retake the 5 AD with a different background:

And, in its sheath:

Posted by: Steven

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/16/10 01:28 AM

I have lots of everything you might want to have pic's of If I can get Susan to take the photos for me I'll send them to some one to post. I'm not of much value in the computer age.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/16/10 01:29 AM

Very nice photos!

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/16/10 01:31 AM

If you send the photos to me, once you have them, I would be happy to host them for you.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/16/10 01:44 AM

Thank You I'll try to get my wife or one of my friends to take the photos.
Posted by: Duke

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/19/10 11:02 AM

A Ruana filet knife that I've had and enjoyed using for a while.

Works great on the sand at Hatteras, NC.

Sorry re: picture quality---just learning and will improve.
Can't improve on the knife, though.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/19/10 11:13 AM

One more Ruana that has obviously seen some good use and, hopefully, will continue to see use for another generation or two.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/19/10 11:17 AM

Duke-

Nice pair of Ruana's. The bottom skinner is a handy one and I have the same model. That sheath is now unique as the new Ruana's don't have a stone pouch any longer on their open snap sheaths, so it's a good one to keep.

Pap

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/19/10 11:26 AM

Duke,

As Mike wrote, that's a nice pair of Ruanas. Nice photos, too. The Elk Stag on the second one is especially nice. Is the Elk Stag on the other side of the knife of the same character?

BTW, these are Cast Handle knives, not Custom Brass knives. Do you mind if I move your two posts to the "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives thread? As Moderator, I should be able to do this.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/19/10 11:41 AM

Ken,

Feel free to move wherever you want. I'm just figuring out posting pics. and feel lucky to get them on period. I'll put a few better, clearer ones on sometime now that I may be figuring this out.

Thanks

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/19/10 11:55 AM

Thanks, Duke. If I mess up moving the posts, please try reposting them to the "Cast Handle" thread. Keep your fingers crossed.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/19/10 12:00 PM

Well, it seems to have worked. grin

Thanks again, Duke, for contributing to this thread.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 09/21/10 08:17 PM

My first "10 B" (aka, Smokejumper) arrived today, and here are a couple quick photos of it, one of which shows its sheath:

Posted by: Tanasie

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 02/23/11 03:27 PM

Ken..
I just recieved this Ruana Model 10-B 'Smokejumper' from the guy's in Bonner. First Ruana I've ever owned and I'm well pleased with the workmanship.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 02/23/11 04:00 PM

The "Jumper" is a very cool little knife, especially equipped with the "flap" sheath. It's a dandy. I would like to see them make it with a neck sheath as well.

Pap

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 02/23/11 11:04 PM

Very nice! That is one of my favorite Ruanas.
Posted by: salvo

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 04/30/11 12:08 AM

Hello Gentlemen, my name is Scott, just found your Ruana Forum and wanted to post a few pictures of my knife. This is a very early Ruana, it has no markings and square cut slabs. The sheath is also unmarked and has the early square buckle and two prong rivets.

It was my Grandfathers hunting knife for many years. When I turned 12 and started hunting Mule Deer he gave it to me and told me he bought from a man that made it in his garage. That was 40 years ago he told me that story, it was only till about three years ago that I discovered it was a Rudy Ruana knife. I have carried this knife on many hunts.
I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Posted by: Peter_Kaufman

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 04/30/11 06:45 AM

Scott
Welcome and thanks for posting. That is a great old knife with a nice story. You may be able to talk to the Ruana shop and get more information about it.

Peter
Posted by: Rick Magee

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 04/30/11 08:04 AM

Ditto what Peter said! And if you do find out more please share it with us.

Welcome to the forum!

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 04/30/11 09:48 AM

Thanks for the welcome!
If I find anything else out I'll let you know. If any one can add any I would sure appreciate it.

Hope to have a second Ruana by next week and will post some pictures of it then.
Thanks again._

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 04/30/11 10:54 AM

Very, very early Ruana and I am sure the shop would be interested in commenting on it. Keep us informed. Thanks for posting.

Pap

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 04/30/11 04:40 PM

What does the shop need? Do I need to pay them for a letter?

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 04/30/11 07:22 PM

Scott

here is the information about the letter $30 to start
http://www.ruanaknives.com/authenticity.aspx

You could email them a photo and see if they want you to send the knife. The guys at the Ruana shop are easy to deal with.
You can certainly get a better assessment if they can actually handle the knife.

Please keep us up to date if you can, you have a really cool old knife

Peter

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 04/30/11 09:21 PM

Thanks Peter, hate to ship it,I'll look into it and keep you all posted.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 04/30/11 11:01 PM

Scott,
Sweet Ruana! Thanks for posting the pic.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 05/07/11 07:26 PM

My new/old Ruana came in the mail today!!
When I was buying this knife I did not notice the inserts were not elk horn but are micarta. I was told that Rudy ran out of elk horn in 1982-83 and substituted micarta in it's place. Making the knife fairly easy to date to that period.
Anything anyone could add to that?
Also what is the best thing to put on the leather?

With my early Ruana

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 05/07/11 09:58 PM

You don't see too many with the micarta handle. It's in nice shape too. A pine tar and bee's wax mixture has worked for me over the years. Good post, thanks-

Pap

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 08/16/11 06:18 PM

My newest, a custom model 19-B. Ordered last September and received a couple of weeks ago.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 08/16/11 06:26 PM

Wow, very, very nice. I don't have that model, unique for sure.

Pap

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 08/16/11 06:33 PM

Pap, thanks. It's available in several handle materials, too. This pic courtesy Ruana Knives.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 08/16/11 08:29 PM

Very nice, all of them, but the elk horn is classic Ruana.

Pap

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 08/16/11 08:53 PM

Tom
Nice Ruana, and quite different. Is it something that you are going to use? I think it would be great if you need to skin something huge.

Peter

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 08/16/11 11:39 PM

Peter, I doubt that I encounter anything large enough to use it on, but one can always hope.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 08/20/11 04:41 PM

That is something. What a curve.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 08/23/11 12:17 PM

Tom what is the blade length on that 19-B. I like the looks of it. I am going to order one. So cool.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 08/25/11 12:52 PM

Well ordered one today. 5" blade Ironwood handle. Can't wait.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 08/25/11 12:56 PM

Steven
Make sure that you post some photos when it comes in.
I would guess it will be a little while though

Peter

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 08/25/11 02:09 PM

Steven, measured straight out from the hilt to the tip is 5" but if you measure from the hilt along the razor sharp edge to the tip it is just shy of 6". Mine is signed by Mike Hangas.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 04/23/12 08:31 PM

Here is a new Ruana knife that I received today. It is the only one in this configuration so far. A model 95 AD with a longer blade measuring 4 3/4" and beautiful ironwood inserts.
You know I had to get it and it feels great in my hand

Peter
Posted by: HALORANGER

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 04/23/12 08:55 PM

Great looking knife Peter. I like the look of the cast handles and I bet they are super sturdy feeling.
Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 04/23/12 10:08 PM

Well,
THAT'S a nice looking Ruana! Nicest I've ever seen!
Posted by: Rick Magee

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 04/24/12 07:10 AM

Very nice!

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 04/24/12 09:26 AM

Mighty "purty" and they make a great user. I pack their little "Smokejumper" most days as it is easy to conceal with the flap sheath.

Pap

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 04/24/12 09:44 PM

Really like the line on that one --- just flows well from end- to- end. And I bet it does balance and feel great in-hand. Good 'un!

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 04/25/12 08:41 PM

Peter
Very nice Ironwood Ruana. I have 2 that should be coming to me in about 6 months or so. Ironwood on both.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 04/25/12 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: pappy19
Mighty "purty" and they make a great user. I pack their little "Smokejumper" most days as it is easy to conceal with the flap sheath.

Pap

I also love to carry my smokejumper if I don't have my Randall 21.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 04/25/12 09:34 PM

Thanks Guys
I saw the photo of that knife and I knew I had to get it. The lines were so great and being an ironwood nut I couldn't help myself

Peter

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 04/26/12 06:18 PM

Peter-

You might call the Ruana boys and ask them to make you a "Smokejumper" with ironwood inserts, brass parry strip, wrist thong hole, and a flap sheath. You would have the only one there is, I'll bet. Oh, that's right, they always make 2 of any original and give the person that orders it the choice of buying both or just the one. It would be awsome!!

Pap
Posted by: Sutty

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 11/14/12 09:14 AM

Hey Guys, I'm new here , and Thanks For Letting Me Join the Group. I too Love Ruana Knives and based on some of the Knives and Discussions Here it seems I have fallen into a great place. Here are a couple of mine... Thanks For Looking, Sorry for the Picture Quality.

The First is your Run of the Mill Model 26CD with a added Wrist Thong

The Second is a 28CD Blade with Gut Hook , and a 20B Handle. Probably the most comfortable Knife I have ever held, so Balanced.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 11/14/12 01:19 PM

I haven't seen a Ruana with a gut hook. Very nice!! Glad to have you on board.

Pap

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 11/14/12 03:07 PM

Pap,
Thanks for the kind words... Us Ruana Guys have to stick together smile
Tu Compa, Sutty

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 11/15/12 12:13 PM

Very cool gut hook on that Ruana. I'm waiting on a couple of custom knives from the shop. Hopefully soon.

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 11/20/12 11:19 AM

Hey Guys, here is my new 10B "Smokey" . Just received this one from Mike, it's a little different from most 10B's. Mike told me this has a Mostly Flat Grind Blade , with a touch of Hollow still in it. I am quite pleased with the Blade Contour and that it is a bit different than most "Smokey's" ..... Thanks, Sutty

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 11/20/12 02:30 PM

The little Smokejumper is a very likable sheath knife and, like I said before, I carry mine almost every day. I especially like the flap sheath. Enjoy!!

Pap

Re: "Cast Handle" Ruana Knives - 11/21/12 08:54 AM

I love the smoke jumper. If I would ever quit carrying my Model 21 I'd carry my Smokejumper. That one does have a nice grind on it. My customs are running late. Darn.