J. Lile Re-handle

Posted by: DJohnson

J. Lile Re-handle - 07/19/20 07:26 PM

Hi, This Jimmy Lile belongs to Greg Gutcher and was damaged in his shop's fire in 2008. Greg supplied mastodon tusk which I used for the re-handle.
Dave
Posted by: Dirty_Water

Re: J. Lile Re-handle - 07/19/20 08:24 PM

I've got that apron waiting on you Dave!!

Re: J. Lile Re-handle - 07/19/20 08:38 PM

Thanks Scott. I hope all is well with you.
Posted by: CrazyCajun

Re: J. Lile Re-handle - 07/19/20 10:07 PM

Being a House Fire survivor... with knives and more! Re-handle survivors are great! This one is really nice! Both Tom Enos and Hugh Wright repaired and re-handled some of my survivors! Thanks for sharing!!
Posted by: Sharpi

Re: J. Lile Re-handle - 07/20/20 12:52 PM

Dave
Nice work
You taking orders?
Sharpi

Re: J. Lile Re-handle - 07/20/20 08:56 PM

Thank you Steve and Rick.
Posted by: rodbrown

Re: J. Lile Re-handle - 07/24/20 08:21 PM

Dave
Did you/do you have to check the temper of the steel after it has been in a fire?

Re: J. Lile Re-handle - 07/25/20 07:38 PM

Hi Rod, that is a very good question and the answer is that I did nothing to determine the condition of the metal. In fact it did not even occur to me as the ivory was only discolored, not burned and the metal looked pristine without any discoloration or scaling. I have studied annealing and heat treating some for the purpose of re-casecoloring shotgun receivers but in the case of this knife I don't believe the temperature was anywhere near high enough to affect the temper of stainless steel.
Dave
Posted by: rodbrown

Re: J. Lile Re-handle - 07/25/20 09:56 PM

Thank you Dave. I talked to Greg about that subject today. He was told that unless the solder on the hilt had run, then the temper should be fine.
I have one of Greg’s knives from the fire. It is much worse than the one you re handled.
And what a great job you did.
Posted by: coachblalock

Re: J. Lile Re-handle - 09/15/20 12:32 PM

Excellent work!!!!
Posted by: Sidney_Redford

Re: J. Lile Re-handle - 09/15/20 11:51 PM

That is one fine looking piece of work. I have a Lile but I don't know what the handle is I guess I should dig it out and see.

Re: J. Lile Re-handle - 12/23/20 04:16 PM

I finally got the Lile out and took some pic's. They were taken inside and off hand with very little light.
Posted by: pappy19

Re: J. Lile Re-handle - 12/23/20 05:18 PM

Very nice Sydney, picturesque!!

Pap

Re: J. Lile Re-handle - 12/23/20 06:58 PM

I tried to show more pics but it wouldn't let me, maybe I can now. Still can't.