Knife with a cool handle

Posted by: Eric

Knife with a cool handle - 06/18/17 12:54 PM

Thought I would ask if anyone here has seen this style skinner before. It is unmarked.
Posted by: desert.snake

Re: Knife with a cool handle - 06/18/17 01:52 PM

Cool knife, similar to old skinners and a little Asian style smile

Blade at first glance classic butcher, but small.
The handle is more like a homemade or a custom - too much hand work.

Or, perhaps, it's an attempt to portray a pistol grip.

Posted by: Lofty

Re: Knife with a cool handle - 06/18/17 02:35 PM

Just keep in mind any steel knives used by Native Americans were French and British supplied in the East and Spanish less so in the West as they were rightfully afraid of rebellion. So, most North American frontier knives were trade knives which took the Indian out of the stone age, and they had about zero to do with knife design.

And sorry, Eric, have seen that style mounting on too many knives, from Scandinavia to the Bronx, to have even a clue. Would assume it turns out to be a job specific agricultural or food processing knife, but we knew that already. I am thinking wood carving.

Re: Knife with a cool handle - 06/22/17 12:56 PM

Thanks for the input Gentlemen, greatly appreciated. I added a pic with a #20 WG for size comparison. Some blade maker made a very comfortable handling work knife.
Posted by: Lofty

Re: Knife with a cool handle - 06/22/17 09:15 PM

I always think of large knob ends for a cupped hand fine control of push cuts, such as woodworking tools, but the handles (pardon) cut both ways and provide security while pulling, as well.

If thou knowest for a certainty, I always enjoy learning new things such as maker and purpose. Right now, that first one might be an Italian luthier tool for head scrolls, for all I know.

Re: Knife with a cool handle - 06/23/17 01:29 AM

It seems to me that this is more a hunting knife than for a tree.
For the tree I saw interesting knives, called crooked (canoes) knife.

They have a handle bent in the opposite direction - up.

Re: Knife with a cool handle - 09/01/20 08:57 AM

Eric, a couple of days ago I saw the same knife and remembered about you. It is described as a leather knife. It was made by Moran, you may need an appraiser))
https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/products/432304/

Re: Knife with a cool handle - 09/01/20 10:07 AM

Great find DS, you cannot hide quality. Bill Moran made a very comfortable leather knife. The measurements of the marked one in ACK are exact to mine. Pictured with one of Jason's latest flashlights.

Re: Knife with a cool handle - 09/01/20 10:51 AM

Cool! Glad it helped. There is 1 more moment, I circled it in red, in the same places there is some kind of mark. In the photo from the website, this place is smeared with dirt / rust, but something is there (or it seems to me), maybe it's just dirt or rust, but if this is exactly the mark and they are identical on both knives, then it is possible that they are brothers.

Great flashlight, I have gone to HDS for now smile

Re: Knife with a cool handle - 09/01/20 11:54 AM

I just checked with a loop and it is not a mark in the steel, just small oxidation spot. Thanks again.

Re: Knife with a cool handle - 06/04/21 10:49 AM

Desert Snake,

Thanks for the heads up. It lasted 30 mins on AZCK...

Leather Cutting Knife
By: Moran, Jr., W.F. (Bill)
Date Added: 06/03/2021

sold $495.00

Re: Knife with a cool handle - 06/07/21 08:08 AM

Eric, cool! Everything turned out well smile

Re: Knife with a cool handle - 06/07/21 10:09 AM

Desert Snake, I paid $20, which my wife thought was crazy. You ever make it to Michigan….drinks are on me.

Re: Knife with a cool handle - 06/10/21 12:30 AM

Eric, thank you, it's very nice! as soon as I am there - I will write smile