Randall inspiration and homage

Posted by: Gert

Randall inspiration and homage - 07/14/16 10:30 AM

I have been making knives for 38 years now, and what really started me in '78 was a picture in Gun Digest of an array of beautiful Randalls. Those knives struck me dumb and for years my dream was to own one. That dream came true in '86. Now I am not only a knifemaker but also a Randall collector.At first I made knives that were American inspired (Loveless, Sigman). Strangely, no Randalls. Through the years I have found my own designs to make.

Recently my love for Randalls has been fanned. I do not know why, but it's great that it's still as strong as before.

Now I came up with this strange idea: why don't I make a companion for every Randall I own. Inspired by it but not a copy and certainly not a replica. There will be many differences, but the inspiration will be clear (how about a Model 1 with a model 25 handle, for example).

So I started with a few.
I will glad to point out the di fferences and to post them here when each one is completed (this will be an ongoing project as I'm still adding to my collection of Randalls).

Posted by: Zogger

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 07/14/16 02:07 PM

Nice thread! Please add to this as you complete each one.
Posted by: JE6245

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 07/14/16 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Zogger
Nice thread! Please add to this as you complete each one.

Ditto and thanks for doing this. Very interesting.
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 07/14/16 07:34 PM

Looks like great forgings; can't wait to see the final product. I donít see a trademark, do you mark your blades?

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 07/15/16 08:42 AM

Thank you for your comments.

Zogger: will do.
Warren: these are not forged but made by stock removal. I hand file all my blades, I have no belt grinder. I do mark all my knives with my own logo, which are the letters GE in lozenge shape.

The nr 14 is made from ATS 34, the others are from Lohmann Niolox, which is basically 440B with a bit of Niobium added for extra edge- holding and toughness.
Posted by: Robert Frey

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 07/15/16 04:46 PM

Definitely an interesting project, good work!!!

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 07/17/16 09:06 AM

First one I'm gonna try is the model 23.

Assembled all the neccesary components. Nickel silver for the guard and pommel, aluminum and black spacers, stainless 3/8"round stock and some stainless M5 thread. I'm as yet undecided about the sambar stag.Maybe a nice piece of Arizona Ironwood.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 07/17/16 10:21 AM

I assume you crafted the blade yourself?

I'd go for the ironwood myself.
Posted by: Litch

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 07/17/16 02:00 PM

Great looking blades, Gert! I'm looking forward to seeing them completed.
Stag is always cool smile

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 07/17/16 02:25 PM

Yes Zogger, you assume right. All of the blades above are hand filed and hand sanded by myself. After sanding to 400 grit they are heat treated by a professional firm who treat ATS34 to Rc 59-60 and Lohmann Niolox to Rc 58-59.

At the moment I'm also working on a model 26 and 28
Posted by: Lofty

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 07/20/16 04:36 PM

I greatly admire the handwork....no reason in the world that more folk cannot make more things with hand tools rather than investing tremendous amounts in shop equipment. I have lost track of all the gun parts made completely by hand using files and papers, likewise knife parts, and knives completely reshaped.

As you well know, when doing it the old way, it gets done right, and nearly impossible to go too fast and remove what should not have been removed, unlike all the folk with the power tools. I still remember my armoring instructor having us file round stock locked in vises, to make tools such as screwdrivers and punches. He would look at each piece with a 10x loupe, and if not dead flat, or perfect curve, he would take a coarse file to it, and tell us to start over. Most things were small, so we could heat to cherry red and oil quench, then draw down to grey, using only an alcohol lamp and blow tube.

Just fantastic work, and my hat is off to you.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 07/20/16 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Lofty
I greatly admire the handwork....no reason in the world that more folk cannot make more things with hand tools rather than investing tremendous amounts in shop equipment. I have lost track of all the gun parts made completely by hand using files and papers, likewise knife parts, and knives completely reshaped.

As you well know, when doing it the old way, it gets done right, and nearly impossible to go too fast and remove what should not have been removed, unlike all the folk with the power tools. I still remember my armoring instructor having us file round stock locked in vises, to make tools such as screwdrivers and punches. He would look at each piece with a 10x loupe, and if not dead flat, or perfect curve, he would take a coarse file to it, and tell us to start over. Most things were small, so we could heat to cherry red and oil quench, then draw down to grey, using only an alcohol lamp and blow tube.

Just fantastic work, and my hat is off to you.

When I went to Gunsmithing School, we had to make a set of double set triggers for a '98 Mauser using files and hand tools. We only had to heat treat the springs we made for the triggers though. Hand work is safer than power tools because it's easier to take off material than put it back on.

Those knives look very good with the hand work.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 07/22/16 03:57 AM

Thank you gentlemen, for your kind and true remarks. Good work done by hand is the real sign of craftsmanship. And any good craftsmanship has to be admired, it is often only attained after long years of practice.

Back to the project:
The nickel silver guard is soft silver soldered on to the blade. Still has to be cleaned up. At the moment I'm waiting for some new aluminum sheet to arrive, as the pieces i've got are too thick. Not the easiest thing to get .05"sheet in The Netherlands!

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 08/09/16 03:53 AM

Next step: blade is satinated and logo etched. All parts fitted together, prior to epoxying.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 08/09/16 06:44 AM

Neat! Interesting to see the knife in various stages. Txs for posting these!

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 08/09/16 08:00 PM

Did you try experimental/ultralight homebuilt aircraft supply companies in Europe? Sheet aluminum a staple supply for the aircraft maintenance folk. Even a nearby airfield or serious larger aircraft maint. business will have various thicknesses, and a call to supply could get you a link.

I can already tell the knife will be beautiful. Would not a harder higher silver content solder be more corrosion resistant over time?

Am asking, as I hate seeing older knives which are perfect except for badly deteriorating solder joints. Knives which are used are constantly exposed to stuff which attacks solder far faster than steel, whether blood or salty juice from cooked meat.
Posted by: Ronnie

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 08/13/16 03:15 AM

Fantastic!

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 08/15/16 03:11 PM

Thanks all for your comments. Lofty, higher temperature hard silver soldering needs such a high temperature that the temper of the blade will be ruined.

The solder I use is 4 % silver content Eutectic brand and solders at 198 degrees centigrade. It does not corrode over time. I know that because I occasionally see knives I 've made that are over 20 years old. Still bright and shiny, also after intensive use.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 08/15/16 07:13 PM

Thanks for the edumication on your solder. I knew the circa 1200įF stuff was murder on heat treat unless some manner of heat sink applied to blade or another go round after solder (if possible, my main heat treat experience being lighter alloys or annealing precious metals, or steel, but with case hardening, you knife guys have me beat six ways from Sunday on knowing steel).

I wanna see the finished handle....

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 08/16/16 05:38 AM

Knife is ready bar the polishing. I will post pictures when I'm back from a short holiday in Germany.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 09/16/16 10:51 AM

Finally, the knife is ready. Here some photo's, sorry for the bad quality. This was a fun knife to make. Thanks for looking, and I hope you enjoy.

Here with her original sister. There are similarities, but in fact it's a totally different knife. Randall is hollow ground, mine is flat. Blade steels are different. If one looks closely, there are a lot of differences, but the tribute is clear. Knives are both equally long, although photo suggests otherwise.

And here both sheaths side by side. Sheath is made of 9 ounce bridle leather with a black ostrich hide inlay. I skipped the stone pouch.
Posted by: desert.snake

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 09/16/16 10:55 AM

Super! smile
Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 09/16/16 04:57 PM

That knife is stunning. Beautiful work.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 09/16/16 05:34 PM

Very nice! You do fine work!

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 09/16/16 11:04 PM

Good work!

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 09/17/16 05:53 PM

Outstanding, Gert - great job!
Posted by: Oldvetnam1

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 09/18/16 07:02 AM

Great looking knife.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 09/18/16 08:31 AM

Knife looks very well made. Nice leather work too.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 09/18/16 11:09 PM

I forwarded a link to first posts and now this finished knife to friends, and we all concur your work is beautiful. I am most impressed by the handwork involved, which, to me, makes it a sculpture as much as anything.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 09/19/16 08:27 AM

Thank you all, gentlemen, for your flattering comments. Was great fun, making this knife. I'm starting on a Model 11 next. Bought a stunning piece of Honduras rosewood in Paris this weekend. I think I'm gonna use that for the handle.

Suggestions as to the materials to use are welcome, of course

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/12/18 11:17 AM

Hello again, it has been awhile since my last entry here. But I have taken another Randall lookalike project which I would like to share with you.

This time it is a model 11 Alaskan skinner. I have filed and hardened the blade out of a 3/16" piece of Niolox steel, just like the model 23.

Picture below shows all the parts at the start of the assembly work. Blade still has its heat treat colour. It will get a India sambar stag handle, aluminum/black spacers and nickel silver guard and butt cap.

Posted by: Sidney_Redford

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/12/18 06:46 PM

Let us see some pics as you go along.
Posted by: coachblalock

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/12/18 08:17 PM

These are impressive!!

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/13/18 10:42 AM

Cleaned the blade, drilled and filed the guard, epoxied the spacers together, so it will be easier putting these in during final assembly. Drilled and tapped the stainless steel rod that keeps it all together later on.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/14/18 08:20 AM

Soldered the nickel silver guard with 4% silver solder. Still have to clean the joint up.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/14/18 11:12 AM

Looking very nice so far
Posted by: Sphinx3000

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/14/18 01:38 PM

Looks great! Nice to see another Dutch Randall collector over here.

The same text in Dutch laugh

Ziet er goed uit! Knap stukje werk. Leuk een Nederlander die ook Randall messen verzameld!

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/18/18 04:16 PM

Thank you all for your nice comments!

Bedankt Sphinx! Randall is geweldig! Groet uit "The old country".

Threaded tang TIG welded on and solder joint cleaned up.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/19/18 03:10 AM

I love to see the process of making this beautiful blade!

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/29/18 05:21 AM

Trial fitted everything together.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/29/18 07:51 AM

Looking good!

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/29/18 08:28 AM

Satined the blade and etched my logo. Cut anchor notches in the tang for the upcoming epoxy.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/29/18 06:58 PM

Looking Awesome !
Posted by: Steven

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 11/01/18 05:50 PM

Very nice.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 03/30/19 10:37 AM

It's been awhile, but here's the finished knife.Sheath from 9 once leather with a frog insert.

Posted by: pappy19

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 03/30/19 11:08 AM

Nicely done. Looks first rate including the sheath.

Pap
Posted by: Shoot870p

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 03/30/19 09:57 PM

Very nice.
Walker

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 03/31/19 09:30 AM

You got it down. Well done all around.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 05/10/19 10:37 AM

Fantastic job!
Posted by: DeltaMike

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 08/07/20 07:52 AM

Youíre a very talented craftsman, well done.
Posted by: eLarry

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 08/08/20 12:09 PM

Love it! Now you have inspired me.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/04/20 11:32 AM

Well, I've started on another one in this series and it's a Nr 15 Airman.

The blade is made of O7 carbon tool steel, and I have assembled all the materials to make it. It will get a nickel silver single guard, aluminum/black spacers, an aluminum pommel and a brown micarta handle. This micarta is original Westinghouse I got in the mid seventies. I have a nr 15 with a nr 22 handle configuration, and it makes for a very attractive knife, so this one will have that config too. Stay tuned, I will keep you posted as I go along.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/05/20 05:52 AM

This will be very interesting to follow. A very nice blade.
Keep up the good work, Gert!

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/08/20 02:49 AM

Guard silver soldered on blade. Solderjoint needs still to be cleaned up.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/10/20 09:41 AM

Cleaned up the solder joint. Much nicer.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/10/20 09:47 AM

Fitted all the parts, checking for fit prior to epoxying. Both the pommel and the stainless nut (of course) have threads. Extra strong.

I believe Randall only places nuts on leather handles, but it seems like a nice idea to put one on a micarta handle for once.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/10/20 10:22 AM

This is turning into a really nice build, something to be proud of.
Posted by: Dirty_Water

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/11/20 08:32 AM

Randall countersinks the SS nuts in the buttcaps...

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/12/20 09:43 AM

Thank you for your advise Scott, I appreciate it.

Epoxied all parts together.

Sanded the horizontal contour. Randall tapers a lot of handles from front to back. The Nr. 15 I have has a 7 mm difference in width. Did that with my version too.

After this the vertical contour.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/13/20 12:43 PM

Sanded the vertical contours and drilled the thong hole.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/13/20 05:51 PM

Looking good!

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/13/20 08:37 PM

Good job, Gert !

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 10/21/20 09:23 AM

Beginning to take shape nicely!

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 11/05/20 10:41 AM

Well, here it is, ready. Still have to make the sheath. You'll get a picture when that's ready.

And here with it's Randall cousin.

Posted by: Holzinger258

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 11/05/20 02:02 PM

Beautiful knife -- beautiful job!

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 11/05/20 03:10 PM

Very well done, Gert! I like it a lot smile

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 11/05/20 05:05 PM

That is top notch!

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 11/06/20 07:25 AM

Awesome Gert!!!

You really have a talent!!!

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 01/10/21 02:30 PM

The next one in the series: A nr. 15 Airman.

First the design I made for the customer.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 01/10/21 02:31 PM

The blade superimposed on the drawing.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 01/10/21 02:34 PM

All materials collected. Guard and pommel will be 304 stainless, the handle will be black linen micarta and the knife will have aluminum/black spacers.

An M6 tang thread is TIG welded to the tang.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 01/10/21 03:58 PM

Canít wait to see it done!

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 01/10/21 10:11 PM

I believe the is going to be a winner too.
Walker

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 01/12/21 02:45 PM

Here is the final result. Sorry, but I do not have the usual pics of the making process, there was some time pressure on this one. It's for a member of the French SF, who needed it for a deployment.

Hope you like it anyway.

The leather sheath has a Kydex layer between two layers of leather both front and back. This makes it very stiff and sturdy.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 01/12/21 05:00 PM

Gert:

This is absolutely awesome!!!

You have a wonderful talent!!!

Please keep making knives.

Coach

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 01/12/21 06:52 PM

That is great. The SF person getting this will be very happy.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 01/12/21 07:17 PM

I want one. Bravo!

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 01/12/21 07:32 PM

Nice!

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 01/13/21 07:15 AM

Thanks all, for your appreciated comments!

I am starting now on a Model 1 in the same configuration, but with a black canvas micarta handle in stead of linen micarta.

I will keep you posted.

@Coach: Most certainly I will keep making knives! It gives satisfaction like you wouldn't believe!

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 01/14/21 11:11 AM

There we go! All the materials for a Model nr. 1 collected so I can start. This one will get a 7" Lohmann Niolox blade, stainless guard and pommel, black canvas Micarta handle and aluminum/black spacers.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 01/14/21 01:20 PM

Outstanding! I really like the clean look that you have developed.
Keep up the good work smile

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 01/17/21 11:36 AM

Guard silver soldered to blade and brass threaded bushing braised on pommel. Both solder joints yet to be cleaned up.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 01/17/21 01:25 PM

I can't wait to see the finished product.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 01/31/21 11:24 AM

Cleaned up the solderjoint between blade and guard.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 01/31/21 04:50 PM

Lookin' Good!

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 02/04/21 09:13 AM

Trial fitted all the parts. Looking good!

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 02/04/21 11:00 AM

ABSOLUTELY !!!

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 02/11/21 10:06 AM

Glued and screwed everything together and did some contouring to give the handle the typical Randall taper, 17 mm in front, 23 mm at the back.

No, the snow is not blue in The Netherlands :-)

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 02/11/21 10:20 AM

That is going to be a great looking knife.

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 02/11/21 11:16 AM

Sure is looking good. The owner will be proud I believe.
Walker

Re: Randall inspiration and homage - 02/21/21 02:45 PM

Starting to get it in shape.