a little rafting

Posted by: Peter_Kaufman

a little rafting - 06/17/21 01:21 PM

First an aside, some idiot left a campfire unattended, while we have the driest conditions ever and now we have a wildfire that has consumed over 8500 acres and has an active fire crew of 561 firefighters, See Pack Creek fire, Utah if interested

Back to the main program, my friend has a raft, so we went out on Monday to do a short section of the Colorado river. It has been very hot here so it was a nice way to spend part of the day. We were lucky to see many birds, including ducks, geese and blue herons. But the best was seeing the desert bighorn sheep ram right before takeout.
No Randall knife as you don't take pointy knives on inflatable crafts

Here are some photos and one of the smoke in the mountains from the fire

Peter
Posted by: coachblalock

Re: a little rafting - 06/17/21 02:31 PM

Way to go! Peter.

Good on you!!!
Posted by: BladesNBarrels

Re: a little rafting - 06/17/21 05:51 PM

Looks like a sharp pointy on your vest.
What knife is that?
I am setting up a auto inflate vest for when I am out solo and am looking at alternatives to mount on mine.
Posted by: Peter_Kaufman

Re: a little rafting - 06/17/21 08:41 PM

Thanks Coach

David, it is a Benchmade 112 S Yel with N680 steel, I only see a black one now
Above is my canyoneering knife a Spyderco Assist Salt folder

I don't want pointed knives for these activities

Peter
Posted by: pappy19

Re: a little rafting - 06/17/21 10:30 PM

Nice Peter, great way to spend a hot day. Very cool to see wildlife as a bonus.

Pap
Posted by: Shoot870p

Re: a little rafting - 06/18/21 09:27 AM

Nice photos for sure. And a great time I'm sure!
Thanks
Walker
Posted by: BladesNBarrels

Re: a little rafting - 06/18/21 11:24 AM

Thank you for the information.
It gives me some direction.
Posted by: Brent

Re: a little rafting - 06/18/21 04:05 PM

Don't know if this will help,but,I carry a model 10-3 drop point attached to my vest, and a spyderco serrated salt wharncliff in a kydex sheath around my neck. The water I kayak in,is a river going thru a swamp,nothing as energetic as what Peter posted.
Posted by: rodbrown

Re: a little rafting - 06/18/21 04:52 PM

Thank you Peter for sharing more great photos. I always enjoy seeing you outdoor adventures, except those where you are dangling from ropes, etc. I hate heights!
Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: a little rafting - 06/21/21 09:41 PM

OUTSTANDING!

Tony
Posted by: Duke

Re: a little rafting - 06/22/21 01:22 AM

Great seeing your smiling face Tony! I’ve worn a fixed blade somewhere easily accessible for many, many years whenever on/in the rivers, lakes and oceans and alway will because “stuff” just seems to happen. Like in a W. VA. New River Gorge white water canoe trip, flipped by my buddy in the front whom I didn’t know truly confused his right/left, even when not stressed. Really stinks when in the first decent rapid when I was controlling from the back with split second yells of “Right; Left, Left, Left”!!!! Boulder. Flipped.
Underwater nylon anchor rope (someone else’s) grabs & wraps one of my ankles. Sharp blade, rope cut and popped up to the surface.
BUT…..great photos, as always, Peter. Thanks.
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: a little rafting - 07/01/21 12:15 PM

What about a Cattleman/Yachtsman? You just have a very small & very slow Yacht!
Great adventure you had,
Capt. Chris
Posted by: Duke

Re: a little rafting - 07/02/21 12:22 PM

But then you’ll have to change the thread to “a little yachting”, Cap. Actually I’ll normally (about 8 outa’ 10) have my #8 Old Style hanging on me somewhere handy when I’m in/on/around fresh water. As Pappy has said it’s great for cutting the heads off of trout, smallmouth, snapping turtles (great stews), etc. AND, in stressful situations it’s kinda’ like YOUR Special, fantastic when potentially needing to cut both coming and going.
Which reminds me, I’m really NEEDING one of your Stanaback Specials if you can come up with one you can spare…….