Let's get "packin'...!!!

Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/13/22 06:15 PM

Hey everybody:
I'm shut down on house arrest, due to a cold I brought back from the Bama woods. It could be Covid, "BUT" I have run no temperature and all signs appear to be just a cold. Still: I have put myself on house arrest until my Dr. gets back from "vacation"!
All this leads to "this": It has been quite a long time since we addressed this so let's re-visit...our "PACK"! More correctly, what you would take "on" you, "with" you "AND in your pack. I'll lean on Tony & Peter a bit on this because, for the past decade, my idea of "roughing it" has been a hotel without a hot tub!
None-the-less, I've done my share of packing and, God knows, hunting. I'll build a pack, along with you and your help, for "nowadays". Nowadays we have to consider Covid, riots and all kinds of unknown variances.
SO: What would you take? Mandatory rules:
* At least 2 knives, one "having" to be a Randall!
* At least 1 firearm
* No forum or website "cross-foruming" as that is against our forum's rules
...The rest? We'll make it up as we go...Sound good to all y'all? It's fixin' to get better. "Everybody" who joins in on the discussion will be eligible for the 1st, 2nd & 3rd prize drawing at the end of the build. One raffle number per each entrant..."PLUS"...one additional raffle number if you include a photo during the duration of this "build". (Well: We are "building" a survival rig...right?)
So: What's this about "prizes"? That's correct. No money ($$$) actual "GIVEAWAY" prizes...and here's what they are:

3rd prize: A Schrade "Old Timer" Model #MA2S. It's a new version of the old classic. This one is in a bead-blade stainless, lockback, 50/50 Trailing point blade (Half serrated/ Half standard)...complete with a nylon belt sheath!

2nd prize: A Remington Model #R1615T! Great fish-n-kitchen helper! A bit hard-to-find, as it is one of the LTD. series produced each year, this one in 2001!

1st prize: Yep: Why not? A brand-ass new Randall "Triathlete"! I just un-wrapped it for it's "close-up"!

OK: So...WHO's IN?
Stay Sharp, Capt. Chris

Posted by: pappy19

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/13/22 08:05 PM

I'm in. I've used a day pack for 50+ years. As a matter of fact, I gave my 3 grandsons each a personalized day pack with about 6 initial items to put in them, and an add survival or hunting item at their birthday and Christmas. I found it to be a great way to enhance their outdoor experience and I don't have to think too hard on what to give them.

Pap
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/13/22 08:17 PM

CAP"T your tooooo good
I need more defination...is this a "bug out" bag....or just a "bag"

:-)Rocky

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/13/22 09:51 PM

It is, ,what you want to be, Obe Won.
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Shoot870p

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/13/22 10:04 PM

Excellent deal Captain!
Thanks for sparking this off.
I’m going with a fire steel first- brand is not so critical right now. The old Boy Scouts (if I can say that) style on a key ring comes to mind.
Walker
Posted by: LarryWW1246

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/13/22 10:47 PM

Interesting timing...

I recently put some of these together, meant for pocket or small pouch carry.

Larry

Minimalist Survival Kit
Compact, covers basic needs.
Pocket size for “always carry”

Container: Pouch (1)

Bead chain+: To carry + items

Light: +Flashlight MKII-Photon-Freedom-Micro (2)
Glow stick--Universal +Glow Marker (3)

Wayfinding: Thumb-Tac Compass (3)

Trail marking: slim-pak-duct-tape-orange (4)

Signaling: +Whistle: Woodcovo Whistle (5)
+Mirror: Smallest for this kit (4)

Water: Container Whirl-Pak Bag (5)
Filtering Conical coffee filter (6)
*Potable Aqua 4 tablets/2 liters (6)

Fire: Matches Coghlan waterproof (5)
Striker strip: Coghlan striker strip (5)
+Ferro rod: Mini-Match™ Firestarter (4)
Tinder: Procamptek Fire Plugs (5)
Candle: Trick birthday (6)

Shelter/warmth: Dynarex Mylar blanket (7)

First Aid: Band aids x2 (6)
Pain pills (6) Moleskin 2”x2” (6)

Nutrition: *Electrolytes: 1 or 2 (6)
*Bouillon cubes x2 1 per 16 oz. hot water (6)
Aluminum foil To make a cup (6)

Utility: Knife Victorinox Mini-Champ (3)
Duct tape See Wayfinding above
String, 25 feet braided fish line (6)
Safety pins (6) Needles & thread (6)
Fresnel lens (8) Writing paper (6)

Sources: (1) Personal choice. (2) Knifeworks.com.
(3) countycomm.com. (4) SurvivalResources.com. (5) Amazon. (6) Off the shelf. (7) Medical Monks. (8) www.bestglide.com.

Note 1. Before an outing: Check all gear, review how to use it. *Refresh batteries and consumables.

Note 2. Contents fit in half a quart Ziplock bag, which fits in a 5x7-inch Lewis N Clark Hidden Travel Wallet.

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/14/22 02:09 AM

Larry, that’s a nice setup for sure.
Walker

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/14/22 07:49 AM

so...I dug out my fanny pack that's in/under the back seat of my truck, along with the Kel Tec Sub2k, and Glock 19X...those are packed kind of away so, I also have my carry gun, then there's a little Glock 43 that I keep between my arm rest and the center console. The fanny pack is equipped with many items, as can be seen....fire starter, whistle, compass, knife, ration bars emergency blanket....meds, batteries, and what not.....it's enough to keep me going for a couple days, if needed...sometimes I'll pack the .45 with the Tri...not so often...it's a big rig.

Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/14/22 08:42 AM

Nice stuff so far.

I’ll be posting shortly!

Tony

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/14/22 10:32 AM

Rocky--

Your mix of pistols is interesting. The newer materials sure have cut down on weight and bulk.

Still, I see the .45 among your stash. Reminds me of a pistolero I was talking to once who insisted that the correct EDC loadout was two full-size 1911's. Gives me back pain to think about it...not to mention the load of the extra mag's.

The improvements to bullet performance in the 9mm makes it a lot more appealing than it used to be, especially since modern pistols have such large capacity.

I just watched a movie where a police detective carried a J-frame as his backup. In reality, it was not so much a backup as a last-ditch hope after his main pistol ran dry. Which suggests that a backup should consist of a duplicate of whatever is carried, or at least one that uses the same magazines?

Just thinking out loud...probably off topic and subject to deletion.

Larry

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/14/22 10:50 AM

Nothing's off topic unless I say it is. Discussions are a great learning tool...Nuff-Said,
Capt. Chris
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/14/22 12:40 PM

Let's see what I have here...

This is a 24hr "gotta get something done" bag.

Browning Hi-Power with loaded mag
(3) extra 13rnd magazines, loaded
RMK 10-5
Rigging knife with marlinspike and shackle key
Spyderco Dyad Jr.
(2) 1/2"x6" ferro rod with steel striker bar (flint fire starter kit)
1" x 4" x 3/8" block of magnesium with steel scraper/saw bar.
Mini-mag flashlight with lithium AA batteries with belt hanger pouch and wrist lanyard
(2) bottles of iodine tablets
first aid triangular bandage, oversized
tube of triple antibiotic
(8) chemlights (regular sized, 2xblue, 2xred, 2xwhite, 2xgreen)
lensatic compass
300ft spool of 9/32" "nano cord"
(5) mini carabiners
Gerber multi-tool

Notably missing, to be remediated soon:
orange gorilla tape
proper first-aid pouch
steel mirror (have one, needs to be polished)
sharpening diamond/steel
Posted by: BladesNBarrels

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/14/22 01:31 PM

Some great ideas here and has me thinking.
I had a Marlin Papoose rifle with its own case, so I guess it would not qualify to fit into a pack.
For me, a rifle would be better than a pistol if I was using it for food vs self defense.
Where I am headed would probably determine what I took.
If I am near streams in the mountains, I would be fishing oriented.
I went through a survival training in the high country near Marble, CO when I was 16, and learned to eat the inner bark of trees, root crops in the marshy areas, and fish.
Luckily, the rule of thumb was, if it tastes good, it is edible in the Rockies. Not true elsewhere.

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/14/22 04:22 PM

Well,
I'll start with a winter hike/snowshoe day pack.

Randall #15 single hilt in a Combat Master Sheath.
SOG Tool Clip (The original one).
No fire arm ... I don't own a handgun at the moment.
Bear Spray ( They may be hibernating, and they may not!).
First aid Kit.
TP and small plastic spade.
Red Bird strike anywhere matches in brass waterproof container
which also has a compass. (Didn't I buy this from someone
on the Forums?.
Compass & map.
Whistle.
Flashlight (Maglite type) & headlamp.
Gerber StrikeForce fire steel. Tinder.
Small Flares.
Duct Tape. (sometimes wrapped around water bottle to save space.
Water in pack bladder and extra Nalgene bottle with water.
Plastic sheeting, folded.
Parachute Cord or heavier line, carabiners.

Oh yeah ... FOOD! MAYBE a small backpcking stove if I have room.
Candy to keep the energy levels up ... granola/protein bars.
A SALAMI SANDWICH!!! grin

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/14/22 04:30 PM

Tony what about the goatskin full of wine??

Pap

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/14/22 04:35 PM

laugh
Pap,

That's all I need ... they'll be sending out a SAR team!!

The wine will be waiting for me at home, for sure!

Tony
Posted by: Brent

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/14/22 05:20 PM

My "stuff" is contained in an old jansport day pack.
RMK small gambler
Alox swiss farmer(love the saw)
Plastic military 1qt canteen
SS canteen cup
Esbit stove with fuel tabs
2 chemical glow sticks
LED headlamp and spare batteries
Green tarp(maybe I'm not ready to be rescued yet)
Military issue spark lite(the old brass one)
4-5 tubes of electrolyte mixes
2 foil packets of tuna
2 cans Beenee Weenees
Handful of teabags
Handful of honey packets
Package of water purification tablets
Compass
Whistle
Small first aid kit
Small fishing kit
50 ft. Paracord
3 20 oz. Water bottles
When my dog was alive (RIP Yoggi) I would add 2 disposable plastic dishes, about 3 cups dry food and 2 more bottles of water.
Not so much a "survival" bag, but let's find some "peace and quiet" bag.

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/14/22 05:38 PM

Guys,
So far....I'm lovin' it!
Keep up the good work,
Capt. Chris

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/14/22 09:13 PM

Larry
I'm trying to get it to one caliber
9mm is my choice....it's a plan in action...no need to try to carry different ammo, and I'm pretty sure 9mm is now the most popular round....I'm wanting the new Springfield hellcat...that's what I intend to replace the 43 with....my personal carry...the seacamp will reman due to it's unique qualities...as I said....I do not carry the .45 much, however I did want to include the tri

Posted by: Duke

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/15/22 01:08 AM

Great topic Capt. and appreciate you starting it up. I do intend to try to contribute something more worthwhile than this “thanks” soon but so far I’ve been caught up in reminiscing about 40 years of backpacking, either with my best hunting, fishing, hiking, fighting, life buddy since age 14, my now adult son and/or solo. Which led to looking through those things we all used to put our pictures in…..photo albums.
Backpacking on journeys which lasted from one overnight to 5weeks & 4 days…..
All non ordered nor required. So the 4 very different packs had very different loads. BUT, some “essentials” (to me) made it every time (almost).
So if this thread continues I’ll add my own 1&1/2 cents worth.
Posted by: Uncle Mike

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/15/22 11:21 AM

Hi, this is what I have sitting in my closet now. I add or deduct what I carry depending on the "objective" or where I'm going.

1) Kifaru Xray day pack in Typhon camo
extra socks, GI canteen, Katydyn personal water filter, small 1st aid kit, matches candles and tinder, French GI Esbit stove and fuel. American Kami titanium spoon, Titanium pot.
2) Colt XSE Govt. model 45, Tuff Products 8 magazine pouch, 8 SS Colt magazines loaded.
3) Randall Tout & Bird old model and stone
4) Bill Harsey Rex Applegate AF knife
5) Henckel Stockman pocket knife.
6) VTAC Brokos belt with Cobra belt and TYR suspenders
7) Surefire Tactician flashlight, batteries
8) S&W 442 Pro 38 Spl. 5 shot speed loader
9) Rosary

Depending on situation either a M1 carbine or M1 Garand with appropriate Grab & Go Olongapo Outfitters clip/magazine holder, loaded. Regular GI canteen or GI Arctic canteen.
The hardest "Sophie's choice" is which knife to take.
Plus what I forgot squirrelled away in my pack, regards, Mike

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/15/22 01:04 PM

Hi, some of the stuff I forgot. RMJ Kestrel Feather, small Steiner Binoculars, Silva compass, collapsible water bottle and Douglas Field S lighter, regards, Mike
Posted by: nate-dogg

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/15/22 07:24 PM

I have a "chit hits the fan" backpack that has most everything I think I would need for a couple days.
-S&W model 17 22lr and holster for small game (food) with 100 rounds ammo
-S&W model 629 44 mag and holster for self defense with 50 rounds ammo
-folding hand saw for building shelter.
-Randall 2-4 in clip sheath for self defense
-Behring Hunter and Behring Pintail for cooking, meat processing, camp chores, etc.
-Sharpening stone
-Flashlight and extra batteries
-Wind and water proof torch lighter and a Regular Bic lighter
-Bag of Fatwood for fire starter
-Tylenol for fever, headache, broken finger, etc.
-Rope for various uses
-Water purification straw
-Hand warmers
-Not pictured I also have gauze, bandaids, rubbing alcohol, and hand sanitizer.

All of the above weights 17lbs, which may seem excessive, but keep in mind some of that weight will be on my belt and in pant pockets.

-In my truck under rear seat I keep a small fishing pole with light tackle for added dinner options.

Thanks to this thread I have decided to seek out a small light weight skillet to add to the pack.

If I knew I was needing to be out longer, I would also likely grab my BLR 30-06 and a couple boxes of ammo.

Posted by: coachblalock

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/15/22 09:18 PM

That’s impressive!!!
Posted by: nate-dogg

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/16/22 04:17 AM

I love reading everyones pack contents, but I'm wondering how exactly do we "build" the ideal pack as a group? Reading what everyone else is packing makes me realize I need to add some stuff. I think I need a canteen, protein bars, gloves, fire steel, a better first aid kit, whistle, some type of small water proof sleeping bag? I also would like to mention the guns and knives I have in backpack don't actually stay stored in the bag, they stay in safe, but easy to grab when I need to go. So I might want to put a couple knives that stay in the bag just in case I can't get in the safe?

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/16/22 07:27 AM

I think each pack is going to be different for sure....SIZE!!! that's the big thing for me....just for instance I do not have a canteen, however I have a life straw....no room in my fanny pack for the canteen. I would like to have other stuff, however I can just get my zippers closed as it is.....then one could say "get a bigger pack"...for me, this is just about right....I would like more stuff...BUT...I'd have to trade/remove other stuff, which I have done from time to time....I do keep stuff in my truck, like the guns and bottle water...I'll have to make decisions when it come time to use....It would be nice to hear other ideas...for sure

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/16/22 08:13 AM

Reading all your posts makes me think about the same things.

One way to separate things is to build a kit along the lines of where I expect to need it.

Everyday carry in the "civilized" world of the city is one thing. It then breaks down into what I can conveniently have with me when walking around etc., and what is in the car.

If going into the near-wild for a casual walk near civilization is another matter. Would need the "top end" gear that would also go into longer trips into the wild. Thinking help "might" be close by, but lots of folks get lost/injured/killed near trails in parks etc. even city parks.

And if going way out there into the back country, would need more and bulkier gear.

This is making me go back to my "stuff" to sort it out and maybe re-do things.

Larry

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/16/22 08:56 AM

to what Larry said:
different situations mean different items....my car "kit" is to get me home from a "local" situation....2 days max.....NOW I've also got a bug out trunk...it holds just about everything I can think of/I have for the big trip....I carry meds in all packs...for me, and extra, for folks I may come across....MEDS....MEDS....MEDS!!!
I would love to be able to get some antibiotics however not going to happen...I've got some fish antibiotics there effectiveness is unclear...at least to me...you can get some pretty good medical items on line for almost anything you can think of...I've got some strange stuff, however it seemed reasonable at the time...

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/16/22 11:31 AM

Originally Posted By: nate-dogg
I love reading everyones pack contents, but I'm wondering how exactly do we "build" the ideal pack as a group?

Originally Posted By: nate-dogg
Reading what everyone else is packing makes me realize I need to add some stuff.

I split your comment up into two sections to point out that you basically answered your own question. smile

Reading everyone else's comments have given me some ideas.

I have a second bag for longer outings that I've been slowly working up over the past couple of years. It needs to be converted to a backpack and otherwise is a "work in progress".

One thing mentioned above was gloves. Yup, gonna toss a pair of those in there too. I have them in the vehicles, they should be in the "extended go kit" as well.

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/16/22 11:41 AM

I went to the Colorado Mountain Clubs 10 Essentials and they referred to the list from 1974 itemized in the book, Mountaineering, The Freedom of the Hills
I have no idea how I could carry everything that was recommended.

1. Navigation: map, altimeter, compass, [GPS device], [PLB, satellite communicator, or satellite phone], [extra batteries or battery pack]
2. Headlamp: plus extra batteries
3. Sun protection: sunglasses, sun-protective clothes, and sunscreen
4. First aid: including foot care and insect repellent (if required)
5. Knife: plus repair kit
6. Fire: matches, lighter and tinder, or stove as appropriate
7. Shelter: carried at all times (can be a lightweight emergency bivy)
8. Extra food: beyond minimum expectation
9. Extra water: beyond minimum expectation, or the means to purify
10. Extra clothes: sufficient to survive an emergency overnight

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/16/22 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: BladesNBarrels

5. Knife: plus repair kit

just one knife? smile

I think I have like five of them tossed in the longer-range kit, not to mention the three in the "half-day" pack.

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/18/22 09:18 AM

Agreed Rob..."&" a knife "repair kit"...That resounds a quality piece of cutlery, eh?
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/18/22 11:54 AM

Hi, something to think about is your jacket. The Brit's have a interesting jacket that they call a Smock.( if any old timers remember Steve Allen, no comments). It's like our US Field jacket and has a lot of pockets. You can say it's pockets held together by a jacket. The ones I like are made by Arktis in the UK. I order direct from them without problems. There is a US distributor on ebay but I find he has the old models. Just a thought, regards, Mike

PS: Before you bug out make sure you have a destination.

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/18/22 12:14 PM

Oh, one point about TP if you're gonna pack it.

Don't bother with the roll. Instead, buy the travel tissue packs intended for your nose.

You're not going to be wipin'n'flushin' so there's no need to be concerned about clogged toilets.

They pack much better, you use less of them.

Bonus in that you can use them for lots of other things, such as first-aid or (and here's a surprise) your nose.

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/18/22 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Windsor
Oh, one point about TP if you're gonna pack it.

Don't bother with the roll. Instead, buy the travel tissue packs intended for your nose.

You're not going to be wipin'n'flushin' so there's no need to be concerned about clogged toilets.

They pack much better, you use less of them.

Bonus in that you can use them for lots of other things, such as first-aid or (and here's a surprise) your nose.

Hi, also see Wysi Wipes they are "multi-purpose" wipes or small towels in pellet size. Add water and they expand to 9"x 9" towel. I first saw these in an Austrlian MRE Ration. These are very handy and compact. I got mine through Amazonia, regards, Mike

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/19/22 07:20 AM

Uncle Mike is right!!
compressed towels!!!
I have several of these packs around....one is in my truck pack....this one has 7 separate pieces 4-9x11; 2-12x31 & 1-31x36....compressed into that small package...I put the Randall coin in the photo for scale...I figure I will allow it space in my pack

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/19/22 10:05 AM

Uncle Mike is right!

Not only jackets/smocks (“Smock Smock”) grin
… also vests, hiking/outdoor pants & shorts with plenty of pockets / cargo pockets!

Tony

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/19/22 03:57 PM

Hi, Well that's two "Uncle Mike Is right!" in a row. I am keeping these on file so I can show the kids. Even a blind hog finds an acorn sometimes, grin , regards, Mike

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/19/22 05:29 PM

nobody likes a bragger.....

Posted by: JerryG

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/19/22 07:57 PM

https://liload.com/brands/Lightload-Towels.html

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/19/22 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: thevalueman
nobody likes a bragger.....

I am considering changing my name to Mike is Right or maybe just Bob, regards, Mike

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/20/22 05:42 AM

Uncle Mike, thanks for the tip on where to find the compressed towels. I've been looking for these for awhile. The only ones I've found locally are at a dollar store,just couldn't force myself to buy paw patrol ones,knowing what they would be used for.

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/26/22 08:56 AM

I think we are past winding down on this but, if you have any more suggestions/tips, I know we would all love to hear them.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/26/22 10:56 AM

I use my pack mostly for hunting, so there are a few items that I have that wouldn't necessarily be in a bug out bag.
Cow pregnancy test disposable gloves that can be had at any Vet store. They go clear to your shoulder, plus rubber bands.
At least 2 rags
Rope
Pink fluorescent flagging
4 gallon size ziplock bags
Note pad and 2 Bic pens
Monocular because it's easier to hold steady than traditional binoculars
Small hatchet
Fold up saw
2 extra folding knives Pumas

Pap

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/26/22 04:56 PM

For the hunting gear...

A sharpener. Once had a guide who had to borrow my knife, when his dull pocketknife would not field dress an elk, and no way to sharpen his knife.

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/26/22 07:06 PM

Yep, I have an Eze Lap diamond dust steel in my pack as well.

Pap

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/28/22 11:09 AM

Pulled gear out of the car. Some items need to be refreshed. Most items are obvious from the images.

First, a general kit kept in a bag in the rear. Includes an aluminum cook kit that is filled with general survival gear.

Second, contents of the cook cannister.

Finally, contents of a convenience kit kept in the driver-side seat pocket.

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/28/22 01:49 PM

Hi, one thing I keep in my car is a Sillcock Key. It's used to open the water spouts that are in gas stations, factories, industrial plants, etc. I'm not advocating stealing water but an emergency is an "Emergency". I have the 4 way wrench and they are cheap $10 or less, regards, Mike

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/28/22 02:45 PM

See?? Just when you thought we were done...you guys pull us back in! Outstanding posts. I, for one (& I'm not alone), have learned much from all of this. I have a few items to share as well! I had to cancel my Dr' appt. today after waiting and then an ambulance arrived, etc. etc., blah-blah-blah...I'll get to it. Lotsa' fish fryin' here folks!
Keep it up. Love it,
Capt. Chris
PS: No...The ambulance was not for me....but it didn't help "The waiting time"!

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 02/28/22 09:45 PM

Mike’s that’s a great point on the silcock key. Have had a need for one a couple times for sure.
And so many of the others posts too.
Walker

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 03/01/22 07:49 AM

just ordered one off the bay...
Thanks

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 03/01/22 08:09 PM

One of the items in my longer-term bag is a Woodman's Pal.

Mine had seen some use and put away dry, I'll blame the children.

I touched up the exposed steel with the supplied stone and wiped it down with some CLP and put it away.
Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 03/03/22 07:14 PM

I keep a Daypack next to the bed. For quick departure from the house.
Contents:
Mccoun tomahawk
G 48, spare mags, spare seeds.
RMK Stanaback Club knife. Figure the stout blade and 2 cutting surfaces is better than 1.
Benchade Adamas folder.
2 ponchos.
2 flashlights.
Mosquito repellent cause it's FLORIDA.
Masks
Protein bars and jerky bars
Assorted over the counter medical needs.
Spare cell phone charger and power pack
Spare socks and underwear.
Swedish fire steel, weather proof matches.
Gloves
Sanitizer
Tissue packs like Windsor mentioned, but also baby wipes.

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 03/03/22 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: RamKingJC

Spare ... underwear.

You realize one underwear is good for four days, right? smile

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 03/03/22 07:35 PM

Maybe 7 days, if you're careful. The Kirkland brand baby wipes are the best. A little heavy, but pass muster with me.

Pap

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 03/03/22 08:30 PM

Hi, a Latin moto I always liked, "semper ubi sub ubi". Mike

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 03/03/22 08:35 PM

Easy there Pap!!
Originally Posted By: pappy19
Maybe 7 days, if you're careful. The Kirkland brand baby wipes are the best. A little heavy, but pass muster with me.

Pap

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 03/04/22 09:47 AM

Did this evolve into
Toilet Humor

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 03/04/22 10:59 AM

I believe so....

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 03/04/22 12:31 PM

Hi, getting back on topic; I carry paper coffee filters. I carry a small Katydn water filter or a "Lifestraw", depending on where I'm going or what I'm doing. The coffee filter keeps out the detritus from the nozzle. They can also be used to start fires, regards, Mike

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 03/09/22 07:59 PM

Oh...

I just went back to the Captain's original post...

And read the "rules."

Most of what we have been posting does not fit the bill.

Give me a day or so, and I will post photos of an urban/genteel EDC.

Larry

OK...here is an example of EDC gear for somebody who is not going hunting etc.

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 03/10/22 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryWW1246
Oh...

I just went back to the Captain's original post...

And read the "rules."

Most of what we have been posting does not fit the bill.

Rules, rules, rules. What pesky rules

Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 03/11/22 05:57 PM

Yeah....my example was a Daypack I take whenever I leave the house for anything further than Publix.

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 03/12/22 05:38 PM

H, if you go back to page #3 you will see my original post. I am trying to post some pictures. Please excuse my rookie picture; I'm not computer guy, Regards, Mike

1st my pack,
#2 survival tarp in camo bag, batteries, ear plugs, sharpener and bivy bag,
#3 Flashlight, note book, sewing kit, mirror,
#4 cook pot, extra clothes, Spork, Canteen,
#5 Hygene kit
#6 Firearms
#7 RMJ Feather
#8 My newest Randall Nordic Bowie
#9 Fire Stuff

I keep my items in pouches. The side pockets on the pack can be removed.

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 04/11/22 03:51 PM

Hi, in addition to my previous post I'm showing my truck pack. It's baby blue, not camo, in keeping with my theory, along with wearing a vest in the summer time ie., shoot me first. Regards, Mike

Pack, Glock shovel, survival tarp, bungee, Wonder Bar in bubble wrap

Randall # 18, Steiner 8x22 Bino's, Gerber Multi tool,1st Aide kit

fire stuff, Surefire flashlight, Kevlar "survival cord"

Applegate Mini Smatchet, Tire iron, stting on a Kifaru Woobie
Posted by: Leatherman

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 04/24/22 11:17 AM

I also enjoy Kifaru packs and gear. I have a few zip up stash bags with different small kits. For a small stash to toss in a day hike bag I have 550 cord, Ti folding wood stove, adventure medical kits pocket survival kit, extra compass, bandages, bic lighter, fold out “survival blanket” and a few other things.

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 06/04/22 12:22 PM

Hi, I just added this to my pack. It's a Silky Pocket Outback saw. It has a 6.7 inch blade, It's made in Japan. I also have a Bahco Laplander made in Sweden but it has a longer blade. The outback is new so I'm giving it a try, regards, Mike

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 06/05/22 06:58 PM

Neat additions to your kit.

Is this topic over?

Did anybody snag the Captain's swag?

Larry
Posted by: Wayne Dengler

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 06/06/22 10:37 AM

Larry,
It ain't ever over.

But.........I have not seen any Henry Survival Rifles or Ruger 10/22TDs in their kits. Must be something wrong here.

Wayne

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 06/06/22 12:08 PM

Wayne
I have to agree on the Henry ar-7. And some cci mini mags. An old style 8-4. Of course, a fire steel and a voltive candle with barn burner matches (strike anywhere). The 1 qt canteen with steel cup. That gets me started.
Walker

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 06/06/22 02:47 PM

Hi, I was never a fan of the AR 7 and the old Charter Arms had problems. If I was going to carry a take down 22 rifle I vote for the Marlin 39 with peep sights. Since I carry a 38 I load shells for small game, like inverted wad cutters. You can't be all things to every situation and neither can your equipment. Just my take, regards, Mike

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 06/06/22 06:02 PM

I bought a Charter Arms AR-7 when I was 18, nothing but trouble. The memories of that keep me from even trying the Henry version. I also carry a .38 in the woods. I use +p jacketed hollow points in the gun, 2 speed loaders with standard velocity lead round nose, and a box of CCI shotshells just because. Haven't been able to find wadcutters in my neck of woods yet.

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 06/06/22 09:38 PM

My Henry “seems” better that the old ar-7s but maybe I hit it lucky. It seems to like the cci rounds better though. I have to say it is NOT like my Ruger mk Il.
Walker
Posted by: Wayne Dengler

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 06/07/22 06:13 PM

When Armalite first casme out with the SR-7,it wasn't very good.
Then in '74,Charter Arms took over the manufacturing of it and there were no improvements.

Henry took over the rights and made several notable improvements.
A total different piece.

The 38 spl is a nice "woods walking' piece. Pretty much can handle most anything.

Wayne

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 08/24/22 10:35 AM

Hi What happened to this discussion? I was thinking what would be a good "truck Gun" ? What I mean by this is a long gun rifle or shotgun. I used to carry an M1-a1 Paratrooper carbine. These have become so expensive I hesitate to carry this. I was thinking of a AK under folder but these are expensive/scarce too. This is a good excuse to buy a new gun, regards, Mike

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 08/24/22 11:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Mike
I used to carry an M1-a1 Paratrooper carbine. These have become so expensive I hesitate to carry this.

You can get aftermarket paratrooper stocks if you don't want to beat up an old USGI stock.

My monstrosity wrapped around an Underwood M1 Carbine.

Shoots well enough. smile

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 08/24/22 03:02 PM

Hi Rob, I tried an aftermarket stock and it was not too good. It was wobbly when open. That is a nice looking set up, regards, MIKE
Posted by: coachblalock

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 08/24/22 03:10 PM

Here is My "Truck Gun" when I was in High School and College.

12ga. 3" Magnum 00 Buck or Slug.

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 01/20/23 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
Hey everybody:
I'm shut down on house arrest, due to a cold I brought back from the Bama woods. It could be Covid, "BUT" I have run no temperature and all signs appear to be just a cold. Still: I have put myself on house arrest until my Dr. gets back from "vacation"!
All this leads to "this": It has been quite a long time since we addressed this so let's re-visit...our "PACK"! More correctly, what you would take "on" you, "with" you "AND in your pack. I'll lean on Tony & Peter a bit on this because, for the past decade, my idea of "roughing it" has been a hotel without a hot tub!
None-the-less, I've done my share of packing and, God knows, hunting. I'll build a pack, along with you and your help, for "nowadays". Nowadays we have to consider Covid, riots and all kinds of unknown variances.
SO: What would you take? Mandatory rules:
* At least 2 knives, one "having" to be a Randall!
* At least 1 firearm
* No forum or website "cross-foruming" as that is against our forum's rules
...The rest? We'll make it up as we go...Sound good to all y'all? It's fixin' to get better. "Everybody" who joins in on the discussion will be eligible for the 1st, 2nd & 3rd prize drawing at the end of the build. One raffle number per each entrant..."PLUS"...one additional raffle number if you include a photo during the duration of this "build". (Well: We are "building" a survival rig...right?)
So: What's this about "prizes"? That's correct. No money ($$$) actual "GIVEAWAY" prizes...and here's what they are:

3rd prize: A Schrade "Old Timer" Model #MA2S. It's a new version of the old classic. This one is in a bead-blade stainless, lockback, 50/50 Trailing point blade (Half serrated/ Half standard)...complete with a nylon belt sheath!

2nd prize: A Remington Model #R1615T! Great fish-n-kitchen helper! A bit hard-to-find, as it is one of the LTD. series produced each year, this one in 2001!

1st prize: Yep: Why not? A brand-ass new Randall "Triathlete"! I just un-wrapped it for it's "close-up"!

OK: So...WHO's IN?
Stay Sharp, Capt. Chris

Hi, Did I win this contest ? Regards, Mike

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 01/20/23 10:49 PM

Count me in!! Not only have I had my hunting Day Pack for 60+ years, but for all of my grandkids, I gave them all a hunting day pack on their 12th birthday. Then for Christmas and birthdays, I gave them "stuff" for their day packs. They all have Randalls, plus things they can use for emergency and normal situations.

Pap

Re: Let's get "packin'...!!! - 01/21/23 09:46 AM

I believe a .22 revolver should be in the pack along with a box of cartridges. I would suggest vacuumed sealed pack for the ammo. A “using” box would be good to have also. Might as well throw in a fox whistle jjst in case. A small hatchet and a model 5-5 for food duty!
Walker