Nebraska mule deer hunt

Posted by: Ruger44special

Nebraska mule deer hunt - 06/07/11 06:55 PM

Here's a couple pix of me and my mulie taken during Nebraska's muzzleloader season back in December.

I stayed on Mari Sandoz's family farm: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mari_Sandoz. She is a famous writer from Nebraska. Which made this hunt even better since I had one of her books titled The Buffalo Hunters.

I was hunting with Scott Kuhn's Deer Meadows Outfitters. Michael Waddell's father and cousin had been there filming an episode of Bone Collector two weeks before I arrived. Episode was on TV a month or so back.

Got this mulie on the second day of a four day hunt. We had been on an older mulie the day before but I couldn't get the shot I wanted before he spooked. I used an Apex .50 cal with Barnes 250 grain MZ with 125 grains of T7. Shot was 140-150 yards. We had watched a group bucks and does for about and hour and a half that morning waiting for them to go bed for the day so we could set up a stalk. Ended up setting up where they wanted to go. Group of 3-4 does caught our sent when the wind changed direction and figured that the 3 bucks following would bust us. They were following the does from right to left through a dip between the two small hills we had setup between. When this buck stopped to look at what we were I had the shot I wanted and he piled up not far from where the shot connected.

Hunting in the sandhills of Nebraska is a bunch of fun and December is a good time for walking around cause the ground is frozen up in the morning and makes it easier to walk up and down the sandy hills.

Plenty of mule deer in Nebraska and you don't have to draw tags-they are sold over the counter. Give Nebraska a look if you want that mule deer hunt of a lifetime. Just be ready because you're going to do some walking!

Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Nebraska mule deer hunt - 06/07/11 10:10 PM

I guess he's still considered a 4 by 4 even though I see some small sprigs. Outstanding Mulie Doug. Thanks for taking us through the hunt. It sure whips my 5 by 5 by a long shot! What did he score.
Thanks again, Capt. Chris

PS: Can't find the pic, but the mulie is featured in the header for this very forum...CCS
Posted by: Rick Magee

Re: Nebraska mule deer hunt - 06/08/11 05:54 AM

Good story and photos! Thanks for posting!
Posted by: Peter_Kaufman

Re: Nebraska mule deer hunt - 06/08/11 07:20 AM

Great deer Doug
Thanks for posting and it looks like a great area to hunt

Peter
Posted by: Sidney_Redford

Re: Nebraska mule deer hunt - 06/08/11 01:05 PM

Doug. Great deer. what was the inside spread?

Re: Nebraska mule deer hunt - 06/09/11 08:52 AM

didn't score or measure him...

Re: Nebraska mule deer hunt - 11/22/11 02:22 PM

21 inch inside spread

151 5/8ths gross
Posted by: Burnie

Re: Nebraska mule deer hunt - 11/22/11 05:18 PM

Great mulie Doug! congrats smile
Posted by: Rob_Schoening

Re: Nebraska mule deer hunt - 11/22/11 10:10 PM

Very nice Doug, congrats!

Re: Nebraska mule deer hunt - 10/06/20 12:31 PM

Re-added the photos as they had been deleted from off-site location. Can't believe it's been almost 10 years since that trip!

Doug
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Nebraska mule deer hunt - 10/06/20 12:59 PM

Nice one. What caliber?

Pap

Re: Nebraska mule deer hunt - 10/06/20 01:14 PM

See top post! smile
Posted by: BOB_TEATES

Re: Nebraska mule deer hunt - 10/06/20 01:27 PM

He must be trained to lay in your lap so peaceful like
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Nebraska mule deer hunt - 10/06/20 06:11 PM

Went back to page 1, very nice write up.

Pap