Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years

Posted by: Windsor

Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 04/29/22 09:33 PM

It's been a couple of years since I've been to a range, even longer for an indoor range and even longer when I gave rimfire any serious action.

At first I spent some time doing a proper zero on the scope at 25yrds and later 50yrds.

Then I pushed the 10-dot target down to see what I could do with just elbows on the bench.

Target is just a 1" circle with a 1/2" sticker stuck roughly in the middle of it.

Gotta say, through a 4x (fixed) scope, that 1" target gets awfully small at 50yrds.

Brace yerself, I'm a little rusty.

CZ 455 with some upgrades (except trigger, wah), 16.5" barrel, factory synthetic stock.
Leupold 4x28 "rimfire" FX-1, fixed power.
Posted by: nate-dogg

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 04/29/22 09:53 PM

Good shooting! I’ve got a new toy I’m picking up tomorrow morning and can’t wait to get to the range with it. It’ll be outdoor range tho.
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 04/30/22 07:23 AM

looking good....squirrel worthy!!

:-)Rocky
Posted by: Wayne Dengler

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 04/30/22 01:52 PM

Windsor,
Very nice!!

Wayne

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 04/30/22 05:39 PM

Gonna do it again in a couple of weeks.

I should get a scope on the 452 and see how well it does. Overall it's a better rifle other than the comb of the stock drops down -- it was built to shoot iron sights. I'm getting too old to fight notch-and-post iron sights.

I used Aguila Golden Eagle match ammo for the above.

I gave Federal Game-Shok a try while I was doing zero work, but the grouping wasn't as nice and the center of the group shifted about half a MOA up and right.
Posted by: rodbrown

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 04/30/22 07:07 PM

Rob

I went through 4 or 5 types of .22 ammo before I found one that my Ruger liked. I have an after market trigger and barrel. If i do my part, I can cover 10 shots with a quarter at 25 yds.
My gun likes CCI Standard velocity, after trying many others. I have contemplated a better rifle, but like many things in my life, I dream big and accomplish little.
Posted by: Duke

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 05/01/22 12:41 AM

Sweet shooting fellas. Inspires me to get the double-deuces out to punch some paper too, IF the 20-50 mph gusts we’ve been having ever stop.

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 05/01/22 08:28 AM

Duke,
Always good to get out and do some "22ing". Hopefully the weather will get better for that.

Each day,if possible,I go out with a suppressed air gun and do some quality pellet time. No noise,no problems.

Wayne

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 05/01/22 12:36 PM

I've been teasing the idea of getting one of the CMP Daisy 853s, doing a round of updates, and getting some airgun on.

Instead, for now, I'll focus on rimfire.

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 08/11/22 04:52 PM

Rob

I changed my Bushnell Elite scope for a Leupold on my Ruger 10/22.

Got out today and sighted it in. These groups are from a rest at 25 yds. 5 shot group is the dime and 10 shot group the quarter. The group of 10 shots with the quarter, I found it “difficult??” to centre the reticle in the exact middle of the circle, hence my group is spread a bit. At least that is my theory and I am sticking to it!

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 08/11/22 07:12 PM

Very nice shooting there Rod. I take it that's not a from-the-factory 10/22 there.

I bought a Leupold VX-Freedom Rimfire (2-7x33) and installed it on the CZ 452 "Military Trainer". I had to remove the rear sight, mounted on the barrel, so that I could keep the scope low and scoot it forward enough to see through.

I haven't sighted it in yet. Life has been keeping me busy for May-June-July, hoping for a break next week so that I can slip away on Friday and abuse some paper targets.

I have a 10/22 from the 80s that my wife's father owned. I was swabbing the bore on it shortly after getting it and noticed a particularly tight spot midway down the bore. I took one of my "decent precision" drill rods and ran it down the bore and it stopped right at the dovetail for the rear sight.

The boneheads pinched the bore when dovetailing for the rear sight. I haven't touched it since. If I get started on replacing parts, I'm gonna end up a 10/22 receiver+bolt shy of a whole new rifle. Whole lotta work when I can just buy a new receiver/bolt and build fresh. I'll save that for whenever I decide I'd rather shoot a 10/22 instead of the CZs.

Also, if the youngest step-son extracts his head from his fifth-point-of-contact, the 10/22 is his rifle. If.

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 08/11/22 08:09 PM

Rob

Yes I have changed things on my 10/22. Green Mountain barrel, Volquartsen trigger parts, Magpul stock. I only shoot CCI standard velocity ammo because I did a bunch of ammo testing and the gun likes CCI the best.

Sorry to hear about your bore problems. IMO I think 10/22 barrels should be the first thing replaced. But CZ is the way to go.

If I was more serious about .22 shooting I would buy a CZ. Right now I am in a .243 mode, with an after market barrel, Macmillan stock and Vortex optics. I can get similar groups at 100 yds, with it, as I can with my Ruger at 25 yds.

I enjoy reloading, so the 243 is my choice of gun, as I enjoy reloading and shooting.
Posted by: CrazyCajun

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 08/14/22 12:44 PM

Nice Results Rod!!!

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 08/14/22 03:31 PM

Thank you Steve. I have found a powder my gun likes better, H4831 SC. It gives smaller ES and my velocity, of 5 shots, varies by less than 12 fps.

Here is a 5 shot group at 100 yds using H4350. I am hoping for better than that with H4831SC. The scale on the bottom of the caliper is inches.
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 08/14/22 04:24 PM

My tack driver 7mmMag, was 61 grains of 4350 on a Nosler 165gr Partition in a Ruger 77 pre-warning. Put a lot of meat on the table. An old Redfield Widefield 2-7. I have a TC 243, and have taken a couple of deer with it, and a 30-06, 22-250, and 7mm-08 too.

Your 243 accuracy is very impressive.

Pap

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 08/14/22 04:53 PM

Thank you Mike
It has an after market barrel, 1:8 twist, Macmillan stock and timney trigger. I need all the help I can get, to get good groups.

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 08/15/22 09:55 AM

Rod.....you should push it out to 200yds

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 08/15/22 12:28 PM

Rocky

I am going to do just that. I was out the other day and shot 200 and 300 yds. But it was over 38C/100F and the mirage was very bad.

I got a MOA at 200 yds and just over a MOA at 300 yds. I will go out on a cooler day, when there is less mirage.

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 08/15/22 12:36 PM

Originally Posted By: rodbrown
Thank you Steve. I have found a powder my gun likes better, H4831 SC. It gives smaller ES and my velocity, of 5 shots, varies by less than 12 fps.

Here is a 5 shot group at 100 yds using H4350. I am hoping for better than that with H4831SC. The scale on the bottom of the caliper is inches.

H4831SC is what I'm using in the 25-06, scooting the 115gr Noslers right at 3000fps.

It's a great powder for small pills with large boilers behind them.

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 10/10/22 12:07 PM

Finally got out for a bit of shooting after being out of the country for 6 weeks.

.22 at 50 yds. Two five shot groups on the one target and then a 10 shot group.

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 10/10/22 12:13 PM

And the .243 at 200 yds.
The first group was a bit low, almost a minute. I adjusted the elevation and was aiming at the top of the diamond for the second group. Pretty happy.
Next time 300 yds!

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 10/10/22 12:36 PM

pretty darn good groups!!

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 10/10/22 02:59 PM

Rod,
That is excellent! What ammo or if you load your own,what load??

Wayne

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 10/10/22 03:43 PM

Wayne

My 22 I use CCI Standard velocity.

The 243, 108 gr Hornady ELD, 40.0 grs H4831 SC with a base to ogive measurement of 2.255”. I have tried umpteen powders and H4831 SC works the best in my gun.

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 10/10/22 06:22 PM

Rod,
4831 is pretty much the go to powder for many loads in many calibers.

My buddy has a 50 caliber Barrett and he uses 5010 (230 grains) in his progressive loader for it. He says every time he charges a case it pretty much looks like he flushed the toilet in the powder measure!!!

I prefer the smaller calibers as they don't use as much powder.

Wayne

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 10/10/22 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Wayne Dengler
I prefer the smaller calibers as they don't use as much powder.

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 10/11/22 12:37 PM

Nice target load for the 38 spl is the old 2.7 grains of Bullseye.

Lots of loads per pound of powder with that!!!

Wayne

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 10/11/22 05:18 PM

Yep, Bullseye was my choice when I was reloading my 38 wadcutters.

Pap

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 10/11/22 06:07 PM

Pap,
To this day,I believe that all the ammo companies use for their standard 158 gr LRN load is still 3.5 grains of Bullseye.

It is non +P.

And for ther 45acp 185 grain mid range load is 3.5 grains of Bullseye.

A buddy of mine years ago (many) was able to puchase a 15 lb canister of it. I think he is still using it.

Wayne

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 10/11/22 08:52 PM

I think I still have some I'm my garage but I haven't loaded my own for 30 years. Still have all the equipment, but just haven't had the gumption.

Pap

Re: Finally got to (indoor) range after couple years - 10/12/22 09:00 AM

Pap,
Maybe you will start again in the near future.

I haven't fired factory stuff since 1958.

Wayne