Hand Guns

Posted by: thevalueman

Hand Guns - 12/19/21 09:19 PM

I've probably got one of the best ones yet....so, my dad had an M2 carbine....had it for soo long that it was "o.k."(well probably NOT)....BUT he had it forever....he got scared when he got his FFL...was afraid he would get "inspected" one day, and they might find it....never occurred to him to place in my safe keeping.....so, he made the attempt to remove the full auto part....not a very good idea as most of the parts, held together by springs and what not exploded on him....he was not able to collect all the pieces....M2...GONE...converted into an M1 in nano seconds...
it was fun to shoot...

:-)Rocky
Posted by: Wayne Dengler

Re: Hand Guns - 12/20/21 11:16 AM

Rocky,
I place a terry cloth towel on the workbench to (hopefully) catch stuff before they go out into the unknown.

Shame what happened to the M2.

Wayne
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Hand Guns - 12/20/21 02:48 PM

Depending on the situation, some assembly can be done in a 2-gallon ziploc (find them on Amazon) or one of the "jumbo vacuum seal" bags.

Came in handy once when I was assembling a mini-Uzi and a ball detent spring decided to launch the ball into orbit.

Re: Hand Guns - 12/20/21 02:58 PM

I plan on using the shower, with a wash cloth across the drain!!!

Re: Hand Guns - 12/20/21 06:08 PM

Rocky,
No offense but I see trouble on the horizon there.

No let me see,you are in the shower and teeny tiny indent ball goes.............somewhere and you lift the wash cloth.

Guess what just went down the drain.

Looks like Windsor has a pretty good idea.

Wayne
Posted by: Uncle Mike

Re: Hand Guns - 12/20/21 07:03 PM

Hi, I have springs in every house or apartment I've ever live in. I can really relate to the above frown , regards, Mike

PS: Try field stripping a M1 Carbine bolt; especially without the tool!

Re: Hand Guns - 12/20/21 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Mike
Hi, I have springs in every house or apartment I've ever live in. I can really relate to the above frown , regards, Mike

Getting it apart is relatively easy. Putting it back together without a third hand is quite the challenge. I did it once and promptly bought the tool for any future operations.

Re: Hand Guns - 12/20/21 08:49 PM

I think that's what my dad must have done....
Originally Posted By: Uncle Mike

Re: Hand Guns - 12/21/21 01:23 PM

The carbine can be field stripped with just the cartridge case.

But to take apart the bolt,especially w/o the tool is....interesting. Basically impossible.

I find that the M-1 Carbine is a far better patrol rifle especially with the Paratrooper folding stock than today's M-4s you see in today's cruisers.

Our first patrol rifles MANY years ago were WW2 M-1 carbines.

Never had a problem. 15 round magazine in place and two 15 round magazines in the buttstock holder made it pretty darn good.

Wayne

Re: Hand Guns - 12/21/21 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Wayne Dengler
The carbine can be field stripped with just the cartridge case.

But to take apart the bolt,especially w/o the tool is....interesting. Basically impossible.

I find that the M-1 Carbine is a far better patrol rifle especially with the Paratrooper folding stock than today's M-4s you see in today's cruisers.

Our first patrol rifles MANY years ago were WW2 M-1 carbines.

Never had a problem. 15 round magazine in place and two 15 round magazines in the buttstock holder made it pretty darn good.

Wayne

Hi Wayne, Jim Cirillo member of the NYPD "stake out squad" was a big fan of the M1 carbine with "soft points". I'm a big fan also, regards, Mike

Re: Hand Guns - 12/22/21 08:24 AM

Mike,
The carbine and the 1911 have their lovers and haters.

Both are superb. I forget the name of the author,but in the book Shots Fired in Anger the author says that the M!-carbine was the best weapon designed for jungle warfare.

The late Charles Karwan (who I knew) says that it was far better than the highly touted MP-5 and at 1/5 th the price.

I tend to agree with both men.

I have the late Jim Cirillos book and agree with you and him.

Wayne
Posted by: Holzinger258

Re: Hand Guns - 12/22/21 11:06 AM

I forget the name of the author, but in the book Shots Fired in Anger the author says that the M!-carbine was the best weapon designed for jungle warfare.

John George

Re: Hand Guns - 12/22/21 12:12 PM

My behind-the-door gun:

1943 USGI Underwood receiver, Inland barrel, modern folding stock, Ultimak clamp-on style rail, Leupold reflex red-dot. Leather sling is a Stolla Wein Bavarian from the 50s lend-lease program.

Bought it from the CMP "back when" and the stock and hand guard were shriveled up and dry. I carefully sealed them up in a vacuum bag for future work and re-homed the metalwork into something interesting.

Re: Hand Guns - 12/22/21 03:12 PM

this one hangs(on 5lb fishing line) above my closet door, next to the back door....for easy grab and go!!
AND it stays out of the grandkids way while being on the ready!!

Re: Hand Guns - 12/22/21 03:28 PM

AND...the ammo to go with um!! one crate is numbers matching, compliments of Dad...the other I acquired nothing matching about it...

we could probably start an M1 Carbine thread...
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

M-1 Carbines - 12/23/21 10:23 AM

Here ya' go...
Capt. Chris

Re: M-1 Carbines - 12/23/21 11:08 AM

Guess we're free to talk about War Babies. smile

Another one I have was made by National Postal Meter. It has an interesting stamp on the top:

Re: M-1 Carbines - 12/23/21 02:31 PM

The Capt RULES!!!
I will not have much to fill this thread, however I'll get my $.02 in for sure!!
Rob,
that's pretty cool!!

Re: M-1 Carbines - 12/23/21 06:47 PM

Rob,
That is super sweet!!!! Ummm,can I have it?? Guess not.

Rocky super nice way to have that piece ready to go...and safe too.

Wayne
Posted by: Peter_Kaufman

Re: M-1 Carbines - 12/23/21 07:48 PM

I have three carbines, Winchester, Underwood and Inland, will try to get to the man cave and post some photos
Peter
Posted by: Wally

Re: M-1 Carbines - 12/23/21 08:21 PM

All original as made for WW2, 12-42 barrel date, 6 digit sn, dogleg hammer, large face push button safety and 24 coil sping. Hi wood, I cut. Never monkeyed with.
Posted by: Shoot870p

Re: M-1 Carbines - 12/24/21 09:25 AM

Nice weapons for sure.
Walker

Re: M-1 Carbines - 12/24/21 12:46 PM

I hate to say this,but when I was in 'Nam,I saw stacks of crates with M1 carbines. The carbines were all wrapped in cosmoline,all sitting in a warehouse.

They more than likely now are at the bottom of the Tonkin Gulf with thousands of other items.

Wayne

Re: M-1 Carbines - 12/24/21 02:14 PM

%#%%()(*_+)*&%*&_+_)(*)(&(**&%&^$%^#&)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAMIT!!

Re: M-1 Carbines - 12/24/21 02:33 PM

Here's another one. I had forgotten that this one (Inland, 1943) was also stamped to reflect its lend-lease provenance.

The barrel on this one is made by Saganaw S.G. Division of General Motors, with no MM-YY stamp.

Re: M-1 Carbines - 12/24/21 02:42 PM

Growing up, I didn't think much of the M1 Carbines. "Real Men Shot Real Rifles" and all that.

The CMP was given a pile of them and put them on the market back in 2010 and I bought one and a handful of USGI 15rnd mags.

When it arrived, I bought some Aguila ammunition (110gr round nose FMJ) and took it to the range. I had a absolute blast poking holes in the paper -- "Oh I gotta get more of these!"

Funny thing about that range (down in Garland), they have a "no FMJ" rule for rifle ammo. I understand the reasoning why, (rifle, bottleneck) FMJs are more likely to exit the property after hitting the backstop berm.

When I presented my box of .30carbine RN-FMJs, the RSO said "only if you shoot it on the pistol range."

"Uh. OK." (whatever)

Re: M-1 Carbines - 12/24/21 03:02 PM

The club I belong to has some strange rules as well....guess when a bunch of old guy's sit around, with not too much to do, they can come up with some strange ideas!!!

Re: M-1 Carbines - 12/25/21 09:15 AM

Sounds like the politicians.

Wayne

Re: M-1 Carbines - 12/26/21 05:47 PM

Here are my carbines and enough ammo for most situations laugh

Re: M-1 Carbines - 12/26/21 05:53 PM

Peter....can you really have enough ammo....I dun no....BUT you got a good start!!! That's for sure...my rule of thumb is 1k rounds for each gun....3 M1's....3k rounds...so...I give you a reason the buy more!!

Posted by: Wally

Re: M-1 Carbines - 12/27/21 12:08 PM

What Manufacturer is in the middle Peter?

Re: M-1 Carbines - 12/27/21 01:15 PM

The beauty of the M1-carbine ammo was right from the start,it was non-corrosive so that eliminated many problems.

A friend of mine,in 1967 purchased one of the first Ruger Blackhawks in 30 carbine.

Being that he was a long time reloader,we were able to get two large cartons of fired M1 brass that was going to be scrapped from the armory.

That Ruger made a nice companion to the M1-carbine he got through the DCM years earlier.

Wayne

Re: M-1 Carbines - 12/27/21 01:44 PM

A friend of mine,in 1967 purchased one of the first Ruger Blackhawks in 30 carbine
That Ruger made a nice companion to the M1-carbine he got through the DCM years earlier. Wayne

Hi, I had a Blackhawk that would light up the sky with it's flash, using factory ammo. I got some 32-20 SWC 115 gr. lead bullets and had them sized to.308. That was a great option. I noticed in mine that LC Arsenal GI ammunition would stick in the cylinder. It wasn't to hard to eject them, just a gentle tap. I polished the cylinder but it didn't help. I think the GI ammo was a tad hotter than factory. Factory was not a problem, regards, Mike

Re: M-1 Carbines - 12/27/21 04:06 PM

Wally
top to bottom are
Inland
Winchester
Underwood

Peter

Re: M-1 Carbines - 12/27/21 06:39 PM

Mike,
Yes,the muzzle flash from the GI ammo in the Ruger was to say the least...intersting...especially in an indoor range!!!

And I agree that the Military ammo was loaded fairly hot. Specs called for 1900 fps with a 110 grain bullet but some of the ammo was clocking out at over 2000 fps.

Wayne
Posted by: tomthbomb

Re: M-1 Carbines - 01/27/22 02:22 PM

Found this on an old hard drive.

Re: M-1 Carbines - 01/27/22 03:17 PM

Thanks Tom!1
I've been wanting to get off my butt, and post up mine...
3 here plus the one in my closet....can't get the manufacture of one without removing the rear peep sight...too much trouble!!

Re: M-1 Carbines - 01/27/22 05:57 PM

Rocky,
Those look very nice!!! The one "elsewhere",is it a paratrooper model??

Wayne

Re: M-1 Carbines - 01/27/22 07:37 PM

Wayne,
Nope it is not..
not that lucky

Posted by: oldguy

Re: M-1 Carbines - 01/27/22 08:37 PM

valueman, the carbine that you cannot see who made it, take the serial number and on the internet you can find the block of s/n’s that each company made each year. oldguy

Re: M-1 Carbines - 01/27/22 08:51 PM

k...i'll try that

Re: M-1 Carbines - 01/27/22 09:23 PM

Has anyone ever seen or heard of an M-1 Carbine 22 caliber conversion? It's not the reproduction available new today but a WWII surplus M-1 with a 22 caliber barrel liner and a 22 caliber magazine placed inside of the original 30 caliber magazine. I think I heard it was done by someone named Williams, not David Williams I don't think. Asking for a friend.

Re: M-1 Carbines - 01/27/22 09:53 PM

Hi, The Carbine Club has a small card with the serial numbers and the manufacturers. What may be of interest here is that 1937520 - 1982519 is National Postal Meter, regards, Mike

Re: M-1 Carbines - 01/27/22 10:00 PM

Hi, also your IBM is "kinda" rare as it still has it's flip sight, Mike

Re: M-1 Carbines - 01/27/22 10:05 PM

Hi, here's a link for serial numbers. See the "table of contents" for other interesting stuff, Mike

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/serialnumbers.html#numericalorder

Re: M-1 Carbines - 01/28/22 07:59 AM

Thanks!!
Printed it

Re: M-1 Carbines - 01/28/22 09:07 AM

Originally Posted By: tomthbomb
Has anyone ever seen or heard of an M-1 Carbine 22 caliber conversion? It's not the reproduction available new today but a WWII surplus M-1 with a 22 caliber barrel liner and a 22 caliber magazine placed inside of the original 30 caliber magazine. I think I heard it was done by someone named Williams, not David Williams I don't think. Asking for a friend.

Hi Tom, could this be referring to the 22 Spitfire? Melvin Johnson designed a necked down 30 carbine to 22 caliber. He replaced the barrel to 22 caliber. He's the Johnson that invented the Johnson Rifle that gave John Garand a run for his money, regards, Mike

Re: M-1 Carbines - 01/28/22 12:16 PM

Rocky,
Funny thing,put a folding stock on that M-1 Carbine,it now becomes and "assault weapon" here. Same goes for the Ruger Mini-14. With the standard stock all OK,put a folder on it and now it is a no-no.

Wayne

Re: M-1 Carbines - 01/28/22 01:24 PM

The one I have seen is 22lr.

Re: M-1 Carbines - 01/28/22 03:04 PM

Wayne,
So sorry to hear that!!!
I'm afraid we are all going to possibly endure those laws one day, if we don't get the right folks back in power....it's a constant fight!!!
AND that's why I have a few "floders" around....never pass a chance to pick one up, if I got the extra $, and the price is right....read today where they are comings for some triggers....calling them "machine gun conversions".....like the slide fires, and what not....never ending!!

Re: M-1 Carbines - 01/28/22 06:37 PM

Rocky,
We are so fortunate that they are protecting us from so many evil things.

Down in Washington DC,if a 22 semi auto rifle has a tubular magazine with a capacity of more than 15 rounds it is listed as a machine gun.

Wayne

Re: M-1 Carbines - 01/28/22 09:06 PM

to assume this site is not monitored, would be foolish

Posted by: Shoot870p

Re: M-1 Carbines - 01/28/22 10:10 PM

Top dog, we are so lucky as you point out!
I got a small splinter in my finger the other day. I guess I need to try to find out where the tree was grown and start the process to protect others from such a serious injury, being impaled is no joke!
Sad state of affairs. And Rocky, you are correct.
Walker

Re: M-1 Carbines - 01/29/22 10:22 AM

Shoot,
It was not a splinter........you got the covid virus "wood variant" that Phizer is now working on a booster for.

Getting back to the thread subject,we just received another foot of snow so the outdoor range will be closed. Sunday would have been the last day of the winter schedule but now the range will be closed until about Easter...........maybe.

Next week I will be receiving a Crosman 2240XL CO2 22cal pellet pistol and a BSA red dot sight and TKO Airgun suppressor for it.

Once set up,I plan on going to various farms to help remove starlings and pigeons that steal the feed and make a mes of things.

I will be using non lead pellets in case some pellets wind up in the feed/grain.

Wayne

Re: M-1 Carbines - 02/07/22 05:41 PM

The latest issue of GUNS Magazine (Apr/22) has a nice article in it about collecting M-1 carbines.

Wayne
Posted by: pappy19

Re: M-1 Carbines - 02/12/22 12:57 PM

Here's my M-1 Carbine. Bought it 2 years ago; always wanted one. I was told it was an Inland but the serial number 1,907,894 shows a Quality Hardware. I thought it was pretty cool that the rack number was still there and in nice condition.

Pap

Re: M-1 Carbines - 02/12/22 05:42 PM

yep....VERY cool!!

Re: M-1 Carbines - 02/12/22 07:08 PM

"I thought it was pretty cool that the rack number was still there and in nice condition"

Hi, I got one from the CMP; part of the Greek returns. It had a paper label, on the stock. My Dentist is Greek and he translated it as " Fat Gus" and the name of a small town in Northern Greece, regards, Mike
Posted by: coachblalock

Re: M-1 Carbines - 02/13/22 07:50 AM

Very nice, Pap!

Re: M-1 Carbines - 02/13/22 09:05 AM

Pappy,
Really nice!!! You have some really good stuff!!!

Wayne