Keeping busy during Covid 19

Posted by: rodbrown

Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 04/17/20 03:11 PM

I usually reload throughout the winter, so I don’t have to during the summer.

With being in self isolation, here is what I have been up to. I shoot a S&W 929 in IPSC(USPSA) and ICORE. As well, I shoot a S&W 625 in IPSC. I have a couple K more loaded under the bench, but the container is too heavy to put on the bench. The container on the left is what I have left to do.

I was using 124 grain, but then moved to 135 grain and now I have changed to 158 grain, all in 9mm. I have found the 158’s are much “softer” shooting with more of a push and less muzzle rise/flip.

When I get around 8,000 loaded I will quit, for a while.

Posted by: tunefink

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 04/17/20 03:51 PM

Rod Brown......pretzel lover.

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 04/17/20 04:01 PM

Truthfully I am not a big fan of pretzels. In fact we threw out the last 3/4 of a container worth, because we had them so long.
Posted by: Chief

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 04/17/20 04:55 PM

Rod Brown you load 5.7s?

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 04/17/20 08:37 PM

Chief

No I do not.
Only 9mm, 45 ACP, a bit of 44 magnum and .243 rifle
Posted by: Wayne Dengler

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 04/18/20 09:09 AM

Rod,
Do you use a Dillon progressive loader??

I have one, a Square Deal B. Loaded many rounds and still going strong.

Wayne

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 04/18/20 01:23 PM

Wayne

I have a 550. I have had it for years. I keep pondering a 650/750. I have great ideas, but frequently that is as far as the process goes, just thoughts.
If I reload 200 rounds a night, 5 nights a week, it does not take long to get my years supply. I guess this is why I still have the 550, although I have rebuilt it several times.
Posted by: tomthbomb

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 04/18/20 02:17 PM

I use two old Dillon 450's. One is set up for 44 Mag, the other is set up for 45 ACP.
I also have an RCBS Big Max that will be going to EBate sooner or later. I hope there is a 50 BMG shooter out there looking for one. That is why I bought it but never bought a 50 BMG.

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 04/18/20 04:56 PM

Tom
I started out with a 450. It was so long ago, I don’t remember when. IMO Dillon is the best bang for your buck.
Posted by: LarryWW1246

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 04/18/20 08:30 PM

Side note-

I was an acquaintance way-back-when of the man who developed designs that Dillon purchased for his loader(s).

This guy was super-careful when designing and having components fabricated. Took his unlabeled drawings to local machine shops to make parts piece-by-piece, not letting the shops know what the parts were meant for. This protected his work until he assembled it at home, and shared it with Dillon and made the deal with him.

Larry
Posted by: coachblalock

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 04/18/20 08:35 PM

Rod,

That is IMPRESSIVE!!!

How do your reloads load and cycle? A friend of mine reloaded some 9mm (135 grain fmj) for me several years ago and I could count on a jam about every third magazine. This was after several hundred rounds without a single jam on factory loads. I don’t shoot nothing but factory ammo anymore.

But I dang sure don’t shoot 8,000 rounds a year. If I did, I would sure ‘nuff be reloading. I spose you got all of the kinks worked out if you load that many. It truly is impressive.

Coach
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 04/19/20 01:16 AM

Coach,
I believe Rod's handguns are revolvers. I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 04/19/20 07:10 AM

Well Capt,

You are correct. They are revolvers. I saw 9mm and didn’t read the model #s.

I was sure hoping that he had figured out how to load the acp so that it cycled.

Thanks for the clarification,

Coach

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 04/19/20 07:55 AM

Capt and Coach

I have “succumbed” to buying a couple auto loaders. I have a Sig226 9mm and Kimber Custom II in 45 ACP.
The only “hiccup“ with the Sig, and non adjustable sights, was changing the point of impact. I can not remember, but I think I was low with 124 gr and went to 147 grain and the point of impact is right on. I had bought and replaced the original sights, but still had POI problems until I went to 147 grain.
In the Kimber I shoot 230 grain full copper plated ammo. I have 1 Kimber mag and 3 Wilson Combat. With the WC, after 3-4 shots, the next round would not feed. It would get partially out of the mag and jam. Knowing next to nothing about auto loaders I asked for help at our gun club. Long story short, I stretched the mags springs, a bit, problem solved. Have not had a problem since.
I use 4.6 grains Titegroup with an overall length of 1.20”, IIRC.

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 04/19/20 09:47 AM

Rod,
You can't go wrong with any Dillon press. It seems to me that the 550 is pretty much their bread and butter outfit.

Even with my Square Deal B,I can put out about 200 rounds an hour.

The only pause is to load up the primer tubes.

The majority of my loading is on a LEE single stage though.

Wayne

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 04/19/20 11:00 AM

Thanks Rod!

I’m still impressed!
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 04/19/20 01:43 PM

I'm about to start cleaning up and prepping my half-full five gallon bucket of leftover M2 (30-06 military) brass.

The Dillons always interested me but I never got the itch to crank out a truckload of ammo at one sitting until recently. I have three single-stage presses, they haven't been set up since I moved last August.

I had two bottles of Accurate 4064 for the 30-06 loads but Western Powder had a recall on those recently. frown At least they paid me $35/pound to turn them into fertilizer, about $2/bottle more than I paid for them at a LGS.

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 06/16/20 09:26 AM

Windsor,
4064 is used a lot for 30-06 loads but the original powder designed for the 30-06 was 4895 especially for use in the M-1 Garand.

The original powder designed for the M-1 carbine was H-110.

Wayne

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 06/18/20 04:58 PM

Then you have the subtle differences between IMR-4895, H-4895, and A2495 (some weird history on why they called it 2495 instead of 4895, halving the first two digits). Some will say that today's IMR-4895 is still the original M2 recipe, but there is dissension in those ranks.

The problem with H-110 is that you are strongly advised to not "light load" it. Not that you would do this with a M1 Carbine anyway (wouldn't cycle).

I have a .44Mag lever action and have been toying with the thought of a Ruger six-shooter in the same chambering. If I want to light-load .44Mag for revolver shooting or lever-action shooting for kids/ladies, then H-110 is a non-starter. For that, I bought A4100.

Coincidentally, A4100 also works well with .30 carbine, as it is "near compat" with H110.

Of course, all recipes need to be dialed in carefully with testing.

Also, I thought WC820 was the original M1 Carbine powder.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 07/27/20 06:09 PM

Watching this latest Comet has been a welcome distraction during this pandemic. This latest Comet, which was last seen on Earth some 6800 years ago, is pictured flying over Mackinac Bridge in Michigan. I did not take the picture.

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 07/28/20 08:28 AM

Windsor,
295,110h-110 and similar ball powders for pistol/revolver rounds basically have to be slightly compressed,otherwise "blooper" loads will result.

All that 30-06 brass,is it military with crimped primers?

Dillion mmakes a primer swage tool that takes the sweat out of that job.

Wayne

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 07/29/20 01:00 PM

Most of the 30-06 brass is LC66 and LC69.

I have a couple of devices to deal with the crimps, once's a cutter and the other is the RCBS swage tool that uses the press. I much prefer the swager.

If I get tired of dealing of the press, I'll look at the Dillon and RCBS benchtop swager tools.

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 07/29/20 04:22 PM

In other news, a couple of weeks ago I pressed up some 25-06 rounds and headed to the range to get some speed dope on the charges. I'm using the 115gr Nosler "Ballistic Tip" hunting round and H4831SC powder. My powder ranges were from 48gr up to 52gr in .4gr increments.

Used a Magnetospeed clamped on the end of the barrel to measure the speeds.

Numbers were good, rifle had some good consistency near 52gr loads. The brass didn't have overpressure signs, so next round will be starting at 51gr and ease into 53gr at .2gr intervals, see if I can find the sweet spot.

After we find a good spot in speed, I'll fiddle with seating depth.

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 07/30/20 08:45 AM

Windsor,
That sounds good but be wary of excessive pressure.

Just trying to get the last FPS out may result in disaster.

Your eyes,face and life are worth a lot more.

I usually find that the starting loads are usually the most accurate for me.

Wayne

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 07/30/20 05:37 PM

Understood.

I'm looking for the best consistency in speed for a given powder charge.

Chasing that FPS dragon's tail is bad juju, as you've touched upon.

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 07/31/20 10:21 AM

Windsor,
The beauty of hand/reloading is that you can tailor your loads to your needs.

Nice to be able to load a heavy recoiling round down to light practice/cast bullet loads with Trail Boss powder.

Shooting my 44 Ruger Alaskan with my planet wrecker loads is fun....for a while.

I prefer to practice with nice light loads at about 75o FPS.

Heck,I have great grand daughters that graduated college,I am basically too old to get thumped a lot!!!

Wayne

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 07/31/20 01:42 PM

Heh, yeah, I understand that.

Was thinking the same for .44Mag (see above).

Fortunately 25-06 doesn't kick like a mule even when squirting lead out at 3000fps+. That's one of the reasons I picked that chambering.
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 07/31/20 08:36 PM

The 25-06 ranks pretty close to the 257 Weatherby but a whole lot cheaper to shoot. I was seriously looking at getting the Weatherby but wound up getting a Winchester Model 70 in the 25-06. Very happy with the performance; oldest grandson Brandon has "borrowed" it for a while.

Pap

Re: Keeping busy during Covid 19 - 08/01/20 09:47 AM

Pappy & Windsor,
As you know,the 25-06 started out as a wildcat round way back when and then was "legitimized" in the early 70s.

Excellent cartridge,superb BC/SD and not overbore capacity.

I have yet to hear of one not being accurate

Wayne