Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area

Posted by: Wayne Dengler

Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area - 04/15/19 08:34 AM

I am planning a trip to Orlando in October to coincide with my annual quail hunt in GA.

One reason is to visit my friends at the RMK shop and I figured that maybe an air rifle hunt for Iguanas (as well as fishing for Snakeheads) might be nice.

Anyone familiar with Iguana hunting???

Wayne
Posted by: BladesNBarrels

Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area - 04/15/19 10:53 AM

Researchers in Broward County, Florida are trying to keep the iguana population under control by bashing them in the head.

Fifteen researchers from the University of Floria are using “blunt force trauma” to destroy the iguana’s brain and “humanely” kill the invasive reptile.

The work is apparently complies with the state’s anti-cruelty laws, if it is done with one strike.

The researchers have been hunting down invasive iguanas with captive bolt guns as part of a three-month, $63,000 research project.

Contracted by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, the project aims to remove the rampant reptiles and runs until May.

“I like all creatures, but they are not in their native environment,” Floridian Eric Swalley tells media. “It’s a horrible thing we need to combat and try to get a handle on. It’s a biological nightmare.”

It’s legal to kill iguanas in Florida because they can destroy native plants and wildlife.

But state law dictates the killing must only be in a humane manner.

“Most of what we’re doing is blunt-force trauma,” said UF Jenny Ketterlin biologist told the South Florida Sun Sentinel. “Hitting their head very hard against a solid object.”

Experts recommended other ways to kill them such as shooting them with a pellet gun, or decapitating them with a knife.

Although freezing the animals was once allowed, it’s now illegal, along with drowning and poisoning.

So far the teams have killed nearly 300 iguanas.
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area - 04/15/19 11:49 AM

Andrew Zimmer had a show where they used pellet guns to hunt iguanas and then ate them. Marinated and grilled. They were boating up a canal and the iguanas were everywhere.

Pap
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area - 04/15/19 12:01 PM

I believe the iguana problem is farther to the south, Miami / Ft. Lauderdale area. Haven’t heard much talk about them in and about Orlando, although I’m sure they are here. Just not in the numbers they’re seeing down there... YET !!

Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area - 04/15/19 12:45 PM

Michael,
I too,have heard that they may not be that prevalent in the Orlando area.

However,reading the above replies,I really don't think that bashing them in the head is very humane. I would go the high powered pellet rifle route.

Snakehead fish though,are just about everywhere.

Wayne
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area - 04/15/19 01:44 PM

Drowning is less humane than decapitation? I beg to differ.
Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area - 04/15/19 01:57 PM

L....M...A....O...... Rob =]

Iguana and snakehead fish are really not an issue in the Orlando area.
Just cone and enjoy the Shop and Museum. That's a full day.

Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area - 04/15/19 02:35 PM

James,

Here I was,thinking that FL was pretty well over run with those two invasive species but I guess it must be somewhat south of the Orlando area.

Maybe I should just go down to the Everglades and get wrapped up by a Burmese Python????

No pellet gun for them,that is time for the Shock-Wave to come out!!!!
Wayne
Posted by: Sharpi

Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area - 04/15/19 05:53 PM

My Brother lives in Boca Raton
Looks like Jurassic Park
They come in several colors from orange, Purple, Blue Green & Gray
Some as big as a large Dog
Very Territorial with Each male having his own heir-om

Snake heads bad very nasty teeth eats all the other fish
But very tasty
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area - 04/15/19 08:27 PM

How did Florida get overwhelmed by Iguanas?
It's something that you see in the Caribbean Islands. Never had any idea this was a problem.
Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area - 04/15/19 09:41 PM

Morons get them as pets then just release them. South/Atlantic coast is VERY favorable for tropical species. Same problem with boa's in the Glades

Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area - 04/15/19 09:51 PM

Makes sense. Last Summer we had 2 small gators captured in the Tioughnioga River nearby. https://www.newyorkupstate.com/southern-...iver_video.html
Posted by: Shoot870p

Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area - 04/16/19 08:39 AM

Are these beasts tough to skin- if you were going to eat them? And do they have a bad temper? If you have to get within clubbing range that's a little close!
Walker

Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area - 04/16/19 08:47 AM

Like all invasive species,they were brought in by folks that had then as pets then let them go in the wild.

Just like the Burmese Pythons down there.

I have heard that some of those Iguanas can grow up to 5 feet long!! That is very large.

The Snakeheads,again,were possibly introduced in the DC area and spread. Apparently they have no known predators and have spread mostly to the south but there have been reports of some up as far north as Maine.

So far,the advice that I have received about Iguana hunting is that air rifles are preferred and if you are hunting in the canal areas,to let the local PD/Sheriffs office know so they can let the area officers know.

I still have a lot more time to do more research on this.

Wayne

Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area - 04/16/19 10:47 AM

Originally Posted By: W Polidori
Last Summer we had 2 small gators captured in the Tioughnioga River nearby.

My thoughts on that Warren is that they were transported and released. Just like all the crap that's showing up down here. I doubt they went that far north on their own....

Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area - 04/16/19 11:16 AM

Oh yeah that's a given Mike.
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area - 04/16/19 12:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Michael_Mason

My thoughts on that Warren is that they were transported and released. Just like all the crap that's showing up down here. I doubt they went that far north on their own....

Warren was transported and released?

That explains a few things. wink

(yes, I read it wrong the first time)

Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area - 04/16/19 12:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Windsor
Originally Posted By: Michael_Mason

Warren was transported and released?

That explains a few things. wink

(yes, I read it wrong the first time)

No comment grin

Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area - 04/16/19 01:09 PM

Funny
Posted by: JE6245

Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area - 04/16/19 03:38 PM

If you dive, come down and spear Lion fish, yet another of our invasive pests. They are now as far north as our area here in the Panhandle. Very tasty but be careful handling the poisonous spines.
Posted by: BladesNBarrels

Re: Iguana Hunting in the Orlando area - 04/16/19 05:42 PM

Okay, I wondered how you fillet a lionfish.
Here we go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqAhXceCYUk

(Link is to Florida Fish and Wildlife)