Glocks

Posted by: pappy19

Glocks - 11/24/17 05:21 PM

The Glock Store located in California, is having a nice sale if you are looking to upgrade some parts.

Pap
Posted by: Wayne Dengler

Re: Glocks - 11/27/17 08:55 AM

Pappy,
I tend to keep my two Glocks (36,43) basically in stock condition.
But there are definitely some nice upgrades available.

Wayne

Re: Glocks - 11/27/17 09:19 AM

Their triggers and steel rods are amazing. I did the mag extension on my 43 and changed sights on all 3 of mine. Anyway, their customer service is above average.

Pap
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Glocks - 11/27/17 07:28 PM

Considered it Pap, but like Wayne mine are stock with only internal polished parts. Only thing I added was Trigicon night sights on 27 and 30; Tru-glo on the hunting 20 for day/night use. I'm not a big fan of aftermarket parts on a CCW gun. Could be a liability in a legal case. JMO

Re: Glocks - 11/28/17 08:08 AM

Warren,
I agree with you on keeping CCW pieces stock. If involved in a SD incident,a tricked out piece can be a liability.
I was an LEO for 40 yrs,so I have seen this stuff occur.

With Colt 80 series 1911s,some folks deactivate the firing pin safety in search for a better trigger pull. Alter or eliminate any factory safety is just asking for trouble.

Wayne
Posted by: Chief

Re: Glocks - 02/10/18 10:43 AM

New toys for the Glock users.
The reviews I have had are good to great, only draw back being the slide release is better on some Glock models than others.
I saw quarter sized groups at 50 yards with a rail mounted optic.
It's a very well thought out piece.

Re: Glocks - 02/11/18 09:17 AM

Chief,
Now that outfit would get you about a century in the slam in my state!!!!

Looks darn nice!!!!

Wayne
Posted by: Lofty

Re: Glocks - 02/11/18 10:00 AM

I have thought off and on of getting one, and yes, without der papers, pleeze, putting a gun in the stock is an illegal SBR, but main turn off was stock was cheap enough, but sights, sling, light etc (and mainly the sights) about doubled the price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvAckAreyss

Looks like fun, but not $400-$500 with sights when I can buy a 14.5" just as legal Colt upper for $150 more....just mine own economics, but have been very tempted on the Micro, yes I have.

PS- considering how the ATF has ruled that possession of a torched in half STEN along with an appropriate sized piece of tubing constitutes possession of an illegal machinegun due to "obvious intent", it would be a wonder if same not true of the Micro Roni plus a Glock, but, you never know about those guys. They briefly ruled even a shoelace and a semi-auto .22 possessed simultaneously was a machinegun, as well, but rescinded that one.

Re: Glocks - 02/11/18 10:22 AM

As for mods of stock guns, and liability, not much goes on in that regard away from both coasts and up around IL/MI etc ie, the blue states. But as someone who carries the suckers and knows how much easier it is to pull the trigger over the slickest DA revolver, am lightening nothing on a Glock.

As for a Series 80, it is all I will carry or own after a relatively new 1911 with a MIM hammer (1st run WWI repro with outside supplied wide spur hammer, their normal hammers still machined barstock and what I thought the repro possessed) had notch wear prematurely and combined with a weakly tensioned sear spring not having sear catch the half cock, allowed a months old 1911 to blow a hole in a mattress when chambering a round in my bedroom, and glad I remembered basic safety like pointing a safe direction when chambering......Yessir, that will wake you up to what can happen with old slabsides and no firing pin block, for sure. And anybody who tells you no safety needed has yet to see what happens without one and is only playing media echo chamber.

Back to Glocks, also a big reason I do only a front sight change is I do not wish to even possibly compromise a platform of known reliability and ruggedness, as well as safety. Just because a guy can play barbie with gun does not mean he must, or even has a good reason to do so at all. Most mods compromise some other aspect of the gun as designed, whether that new keymod AR forend melting, or the new mag extension spring too strong or weak and compromises slide velocity or timing of round jumping up, and any little testing I would do to assure positive function is nothing compared to the massive numbers fired by makers, and even THEY get it wrong. So, to those who want to tinker, I say have at it, but I pretty much do not fix what is not broke. A range gun a TOTALLY different story, and if your favorite target pistol, I will heartily applaud taking a trigger down to 1.5 lbs and even join you, and install a drum magazine as well.

Re: Glocks - 02/11/18 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Wayne Dengler
Chief,
Now that outfit would get you about a century in the slam in my state!!!!

Looks darn nice!!!!

Wayne

Wow I figured since they passed/amended the law that pistols with a forearm stabilizer can be put up to your shoulder that there would be less of an issue.

Re: Glocks - 02/11/18 03:33 PM

If those are the stab equipped Ronis, then quite correct as for feds. Many states do not follow fed and far more restrictive. As droned on and on about in a muzzleoader thread.

And, no, I did not catch the stabs in the photos.

Re: Glocks - 02/12/18 09:36 AM

Down in Washington DC,if you have a semiautomatic 22lr rifle with a tubular magazine holding more than 15 rounds,it is classified as a machine gun.

Go figure.

Wayne

Re: Glocks - 02/12/18 10:14 AM

Wayne, considering what other "reasoning" has gone on in that city/district govt for the last several decades, this is a shock?

Re: Glocks - 02/12/18 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Lofty
Wayne, considering what other "reasoning" has gone on in that city/district govt for the last several decades, this is a shock?

Now that's funny!

Re: Glocks - 02/12/18 10:14 PM

"Funny" is Mark Twain talking about the govt./congress...suchlike

It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
- Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar

Re: Glocks - 02/12/18 11:13 PM

yes he is, people that we allow to take from us and we pay them to do it, "funny" ....must be we never make it stop.

Re: Glocks - 02/13/18 08:56 AM

I agree with all of the above.

Wayne

Re: Glocks - 02/23/18 12:05 AM

Just a reminder, if you join the Glock Sport Shooters Foundation, GSSF, for every year of subscription, you get a "cost" , or blue label discount coupon on any Glock. I have purchased all 4 of my Glocks with this coupon. You just have to find a dealer that recognizes the coupon. It's worth it.

Pap

Re: Glocks - 02/23/18 08:03 AM

Pappy,
I have been a member for a number of years but did not have to use the "blue Label" discount as I was able to purchase my Glocks through their LE program.

Either way,the price is pretty much the same.

A buddy of mine,who is a Federal Agent,is able to get his through their LE program while he is down in Smyrna,GA on training sessions.

Darn good programs.

Wayne
Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Glocks - 03/05/18 11:02 AM

Funny... I am using my coupon Wednesday!!!!

It's a great program, I have got 6 through it!
Posted by: Sharpi

Re: Glocks - 03/05/18 10:31 PM

3 glocks
no coupons

wish they had Colt coupons
Nothing feels like a Colt

Sharpi

Re: Glocks - 03/06/18 08:29 AM

Sharpi,
Yes,I will agree,nothing feels like a Colt either a 1911 or SAA.

But,I still prefer my Glocks.

Wayne
Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: Glocks - 03/06/18 09:02 AM

Went to the indoor range a couple of weeks ago and shot a Glock 19X a Sig P229 and a Colt Gold cup. The Glock, meh, shoots like any Glock. The Sig Legion, was a treat and is a fine, fun shooter. Picked up the Gold Cup and Holy Moly, what a difference in feel and accuracy. The trigger pull is light and very crisp with nearly non existent creep. The Sig has more creep that is noticeable, but overall is also fairly crisp with short reset. Recoil on the .45 with 230 gr ball ammo was very manageable and not much more than the other Two with 115gr 9mm.
This just affirms my love for 1911s and Colt in particular. I can't imagine shooting anything that shoots and feels better than that Gold Cup. YMMV

Re: Glocks - 03/06/18 04:08 PM

Having bought exactly 3 Glocks for self in lifetime (36/43/17), two of which still here (43/17, the 43 for daily driver, the 17 just becuz...uh...lotta little bullits, takes a light, fits in a MacaRoni, Macareña, whatever stock), the coupons would have been wasted, had I known about the program.

Colt coupons I could have used too many times to count at the moment, but, still shagged a GCNM stainless in 1999 from a co-worker for $250, just for turning him onto a local dealer that had good prices on a G21, and I DID explain to him it was a steal, and his reply was, "yeah, I know. So, do ya want it?".
Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: Glocks - 03/06/18 05:21 PM

Yeah, I'd say that was a steal. I'm sure you've been losing sleep ever since.

Re: Glocks - 03/06/18 09:55 PM

I told him I could not afford it, he said he would take monthly payments if it would help, I said ok, how much, he replied $250 and asked how that sounded, I replied it was a steal, he said he knew and did I want it, and I never lost a wink.

Re: Glocks - 05/21/18 01:44 PM

The May issue of Guns magazine has 2 articles on the new Glock 19-Gen5. The first is one of 5 different 9mm auto pistols tested together, and the second is a long test article on the 19 Gen5. Both are good articles.

Pap

Re: Glocks - 11/06/18 12:20 AM

Just received a new 22# RSA on a tungsten rod for my G20. Standard loads are no issue. High power loads recycle hard. I'm hoping the 22# spring over the stock 17# will help.

Re: Glocks - 11/06/18 12:29 AM

It does, I have a tungsten rod and 22# spring on mine and it definitely helped. Shoots like my 19, almost.I also added the plastic bump which also helps. Got mine from the Glock Store in California.

Pap

Re: Glocks - 11/06/18 07:16 AM

Yes, I did as well. I will keep the plastic bumper in mind.
Posted by: coachblalock

Re: Glocks - 11/06/18 08:39 AM

I have a cousin that does some awesome work on Glocks.

Check out his website:

http://5bgunworx.com/

Re: Glocks - 11/06/18 08:52 AM

Coach,
I am sure that your cousin does superb Glock work but I prefer to keep my SD pieces stock.

Altering a SD piece can raise some issues in court if,unfortunately,you have to defend yourself.

This comes from forty years experience as an LEO.

I would love to trick out my Model 43 & 36 but I tend to ere on the side of caution.

Wayne

Re: Glocks - 11/06/18 07:43 PM

Wayne,

You may be right!

But he stays 9 - 12 months behind.

Re: Glocks - 11/07/18 08:03 AM

Coach,
That pretty much shows that he does excellent work and has a good customer base.

Always nice to see special work done on pieces.

Wayne

Re: Glocks - 01/05/21 06:56 PM

Here's my Glock Model 20SF in 10mm, my woods gun, and a Glock 43 9mm, my EDC, and shoots with my Glock 19. All upgrades came from the Glockstore.com.

Pap

Re: Glocks - 01/06/21 10:55 AM

Pappy,
Super nice Glocks you have there!!

Wayne

Re: Glocks - 01/06/21 09:46 PM

Nice Glocks !!!
Posted by: tomthbomb

Re: Glocks - 01/07/21 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Byrdguy
Went to the indoor range a couple of weeks ago and shot a Glock 19X a Sig P229 and a Colt Gold cup. The Glock, meh, shoots like any Glock. The Sig Legion, was a treat and is a fine, fun shooter. Picked up the Gold Cup and Holy Moly, what a difference in feel and accuracy. The trigger pull is light and very crisp with nearly non existent creep. The Sig has more creep that is noticeable, but overall is also fairly crisp with short reset. Recoil on the .45 with 230 gr ball ammo was very manageable and not much more than the other Two with 115gr 9mm.
This just affirms my love for 1911s and Colt in particular. I can't imagine shooting anything that shoots and feels better than that Gold Cup. YMMV

Agree

Re: Glocks - 01/07/21 09:34 PM

Pap:

How does that G20 in 10mm compare to a 1911 in .45 acp?

I have to agree with Byrdguy and Tom. My 1911 is really smooth to shoot.

Coach

Re: Glocks - 01/08/21 11:19 AM

Ballisticly the 10mm with the 180gr is slightly better than the 45, but the big difference is the magazine capacity at 15+1 in the chamber. As far as the trigger goes, I have replaced the stock triggers and they are set at 3.5 pounds. I know the 1911's are a fine weapon, but I've never been a fan of cocked and locked, that's just me.

https://youtu.be/qBAvQzRTc68

Pap

Re: Glocks - 01/08/21 03:45 PM

Pap:

The 15 + 1 is definitely a plus!

However, even a BIG hog can’t take more than 2 or 3 rounds of .45 acp in the DRT terminal shock load. Most drop at the first.

If I were in grizzly country, I might feel better with the added capacity. But I might want to go up in ballistics, say .44 mag or 454 Casull.

The cocked & chambered is not to my liking either. But I have chambered a round on the hop enough times to feel comfortable enough to carry my 1911 unchambered.

I’ll bet that the 1911 vs. Glock debate could go on & on... PREFERENCES!!!

Coach

Re: Glocks - 01/08/21 04:29 PM

Coach
One reason many guides have switched from the big wheel guns like 44 and 454, because with a charging grizzly bear, you'd be lucky to get off 2 shots, but the Glock delivers 5-6 shots in the same time frame, plus,still have 9 shots left at fast a you can pull the trigger. The recovery between shots is way different as well.

PP

Re: Glocks - 01/08/21 11:25 PM

I’m glad that I don’t have to deal with grizzlys. Hogs are bad enough.

Re: Glocks - 01/09/21 09:31 AM

Coach,
Yep,the 1911 vs Glock debate will go on & on.

But now,with the Colt stuff pretty much iffy in the quality department,folks will buy a Colt 1911 and then ship it off to a pistolsmith to do "corrective work" on it.

Then much time and many dollars later,he gets it back and goes to the range,loads it and fires it..........maybe.

A Glock owner,goes to the range with his new pistol,takes it from the box,loads it and fires it.......many times.

The original Colt worked just fine. Now folks add so much stuff to it,it pretty much becomes a crew served weapon.

Don't get me wrong,I love the 1911 in it's original form but no what is out there now.

Wayne
Posted by: Shoot870p

Re: Glocks - 01/09/21 11:16 AM

I'm sure this will not fly but (Capt Chris, let me know) how about the M&P9 m2.0 compared with a glock- stock set on both?
I ask because I have. 5" CORE on the way. I'm putting a fast fire 3 on it.
Flame suit has been donned so I feel reasonably safe!
Thanks
Walker

Re: Glocks - 01/09/21 02:34 PM

I bought a used Stainless Springfield 1911 for $500 several years ago at the Tulsa Gun Show. I’ve put 200-300 rounds through it and have been very pleased with it. It has rubber finger grips and a crimson trace. I have never had any jams or mis feeds. I’ve killed at least a dozen hogs with it.

I later bought a Kimber Raptor and a Colt Gold Cup. Both were brand new and both were fine firearms.

I traded the Raptor for a Kimber Micro Raptor 9mm and a Walther ppk/s-22.

I traded the Colt for a Kimber Micro Raptor .380 and some cash.

My Springfield stays in the console of my truck along with a couple extra magazines.
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Glocks - 01/09/21 04:20 PM

Some moons ago I bought a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911. As soon as I got it, I put quite a few rounds through it, 500 ballpark.

Then I got the braincramp that maybe I could do some upgrades.

I swapped the slotted grip screws for hex-head (allen wrench), no problem.

I bought one of those recoil buffer gadgets you slip in behind the spring. No end of problems, couldn't shoot two rounds consecutive.

There at the "no field stripping firearms" gun range, on the firing line, I field-stripped the M1911 (after clearing the gun first, of course) and yanked out that buffer and reassembled. Nary a problem after that, finished out a box or two of ammo with perfect function of the pistol.

I became a big fan of "if it ain't broke..." after that.

Re: Glocks - 01/09/21 09:49 PM

Windsor I'm with you on that point. Actually both. No to shock buff and don't change stuff just for the sake of changing them
Walker

Re: Glocks - 01/10/21 09:58 AM

Windsor,
Les Bear will not use buffers on any of their 1911s except for their small "Officer's Size" model. Shok-Buffs are greatly over rated and really do not prevent frame cracking.

Some time back,I noticed an older gentleman wearing a T-shirt that had printed on it

"I don't dial 911,I dial 1911"

Can't go wrong there.

Wayne
Posted by: mic214

Re: Glocks - 12/23/21 06:28 PM

When I was a LEO I was issued a G27, but we were allowed to carry our own sidearms, so I carried a G23. When I retired, I went with a G26 for EDC. Now a days, I pack a G48:

For range use, I have a Gen 4 G34 with Dawson adjustable sights and a Zev trigger system:

I have shot in one GSSF match and for that I used a Gen 5 G17 and a Gen 4 G21:

Then I have a Gen 4 G20 as a back up for hog hunting and for walking around the woods:

Re: Glocks - 12/24/21 09:27 AM

Mick, looks like you covered all the bases with those!
Walker

Re: Glocks - 12/24/21 11:08 AM

Love my 43,48X,19 and 20SF. Have done some upgrades, too many to list here, but all have the trigger sysfrom The Glock Store.

Pap
Posted by: Uncle Mike

Re: Glocks - 12/24/21 11:59 AM

Hi, I never was a big fan, because of my mantra; "Plastic guns have no soul." smile After I found out about the "Blue Label" program which gives a discount to LEO's and 1st responders I bought two, Glock 43 and Glock 17. I guess I can be swayed by a bargain. Great products that are accurate and reliable, regards, Mike
Posted by: mic214

Re: Glocks - 12/24/21 12:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Mike
Hi, I never was a big fan, because of my mantra; "Plastic guns have no soul." smile After I found out about the "Blue Label" program which gives a discount to LEO's and 1st responders I bought two, Glock 43 and Glock 17. I guess I can be swayed by a bargain. Great products that are accurate and reliable, regards, Mike

The G21 was a LEO trade in, the rest are all Blue Label guns.

Re: Glocks - 12/24/21 01:17 PM

Even if you aren't a former or current LEO, you can get a blue label coupon from joining the Glock Shooter's Foundation. You get a coupon each year that you are a member. I am a 5 year member and have gotten all of my Glocks at blue label prices. You just need to find a dealer that accepts the coupon.

Pap