Anyone Drill Your Own WT Hole? How do u use them?

Posted by: Robert Frey

Anyone Drill Your Own WT Hole? How do u use them? - 08/27/11 04:45 PM

Has anybody ever drilled their own Wrist Thong hole when they maxed out the 5 options and really wanted the Wrist Thong too?

Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/27/11 05:22 PM

I wouldn't do it!
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/27/11 05:28 PM

I did it twice! I guess I didn't feel I could screw something up "that bad" twice. I was wrong! Never... Never again.
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: smcbrearty

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/27/11 05:30 PM

That answer ends any chance of me ever trying it.

Steve

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/27/11 05:56 PM

Both of my attempts were into a brass butt cap...Guess what? They're "rounded"! Without proper chucking, clamping and a drill press? What the hell was I thinking?
Never again (Did I say that already?), Capt. Chris

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/27/11 06:40 PM

Yeah, now that you mention it, on a rounded surface a milling machine would be the only way to do it right. I don't have access to a mill, so I guess I won't try it.

Oh well.
Posted by: Peter_Kaufman

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/27/11 07:01 PM

Rob
I have not but have thought about it with metal butt caps.

The only way I would do it would be in a milling machine with the handle properly fixtured in a vise and using a center drill to spot the hole and then drilling an undersize hole first and the final sized hole second.
That said, it would be unlikely that I would do it anyhow.

Peter
Posted by: Tom Vaught

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/27/11 09:21 PM

I drilled a "Wrist Thong" hole in a SOG "Tiger Shark" handle one time. Did it on a Bridgeport and actually drilled the hole in the handle close to the Hilt. I was using the "Tiger Shark" a lot for chopping chores and the thong in front of the hand allowed me to securely hold the knife without my hand grip getting tired and losing control of the blade. Having the thong located behind the hand would do nothing for what I was trying to accomplish.

That being said, would I ever attempt to drill a thong hole in a Randall knife, bridgeport mill or not, NEVER!

JMO

Tom Vaught
Posted by: Leatherman

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/28/11 10:15 AM

If you know how to use a lanyard properly it works very well in keeping your knife in hand.

Take the knife. hold it tip up lanyard hanging down. Take your thumb and put it in the hole. take your hand and twist it to the left while wrapping the string around the back of your hand until your hand grips the handle. Thus creating a very secure easy to remove grip. if the lanyard is too short/long retie it for your needs. You can have it a little too long so you can hold the knife further back thus extending blade length and getting more weight so you can chop better with a short knife. Heres a bad pic but I am using this method in the picture.

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/28/11 11:15 AM

Thanks for the Picture, Ben. Guess I do not know how to do the Randall lanyard trick properly. Course I never had frostbite on my thumb after I cut off circulation to that appendage using your method either.

Everyone has their own little tricks on what works for them. My set-up just happens to work for me with the knife I use, winter or summer, woods or desert.

I can find a lot of smaller dead wood sticks that I can break by hand for my fire, using less energy, vs using a small knife to chop tree branches with.

I might use the small knife to make kindling or fuzz sticks but would not waste my energy on chopping a single stick with a small knife.

JMO

Tom Vaught

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/28/11 08:05 PM

I cut down a small standing tree to make a fire with, all I had with me was the 14 so I used it.

Indeed we all have our own ways in the woods. This was just a fun christmas eve day with the 14!

PS. IMO this is the only right way to use a lanyard on a knife as if you were to actually throw a knife with a loose loop around your wrist you are attached to a flying knife blade shocked This way the knife stays in your hand smile
Posted by: T Foster

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/28/11 10:45 PM

Leatherman,

This thread started out with someone asking if anyone has drilled a wrist thong hole on a completed knife and ended up with you giving personal instruction on how to use a wrist thong. I'm having a problem understanding your motives. I found the original thread very interesting.
Start your own thread on the use and care of wrist thongs.
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/28/11 11:01 PM

Since you are a new comer and not a moderator, MYOB. I enjoyed his thread. Go somewhere else if you don't like it.

Pap

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/28/11 11:18 PM

Todd,
It is not uncommon, indeed quite frequent, that a started thread drifts off topic. This thread has stayed, pretty much, on track. Your comments are uncalled for. I don't agree with "leatherman's" style of wrist thong usage and, in fact, there are other ways to use it, including the way Bo Randall showed me. None of these reasons has prompted me to talk down another forum member.
This is a good community of folks, drawn together by the common bond of Randall knives. Please refrain from such curt comments. They are not called for.
Thanks for your cooperation, Capt. Chris

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/29/11 01:37 AM

Wrist Thong related = same same.
Posted by: Topos

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/29/11 04:48 AM

Bob, could a man who drills out the wrist thong on a Randall fall into the
same category as a man considering performing his own vasectomy?? smile smile

[Sorry, I could not resist after surviving hurricane Oba.., I mean Irene.]

Best.

SHAG #14

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/29/11 07:57 AM

"OUCH"
grin

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/29/11 10:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
Todd,
It is not uncommon, indeed quite frequent, that a started thread drifts off topic. This thread has stayed, pretty much, on track. Your comments are uncalled for. I don't agree with "leatherman's" style of wrist thong usage and, in fact, there are other ways to use it, including the way Bo Randall showed me. None of these reasons has prompted me to talk down another forum member.
This is a good community of folks, drawn together by the common bond of Randall knives. Please refrain from such curt comments. They are not called for.

I am extremely interested to know how the man himself intended the use of the wrist thong, and would appreciate you sharing this.

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/29/11 10:56 AM

Ben,
I have 2 new threads to start this week. Both require photos. As soon as I get a chance I'll include a photo-op for proper wrist thong usage. It was not designed for your purpose Ben. I am sure everyone will find it interesting at any rate.
....to be continued...Capt. Chris
Posted by: oldguy

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/29/11 11:03 AM

Capt, Please show or tell us how Mr.Randall showed you. I always thought that you just put around your wrist in case it slipped out of your hand.
Oldguy

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/29/11 11:23 AM

Thanks Capt!

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/29/11 01:20 PM

.........."I always thought that you just put around your wrist in case it slipped out of your hand.".......

Not even close!!
...to be cont....Capt. Chris
PS: Incidently: At every gun & knife show, when I sell any Randall knife with the wrist thong option, I always demonstrate the proper knots and hold...Always! I think it's the least I can do as an authorized Randall knife dealer...Especially after Bo made it a point to show me!..CCS
Posted by: kalervo

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/29/11 01:47 PM

If you run the lanyard over the BACK of the hand, then over top to the thumb, you accomplish several things. One, the twisted cord serves as a stop to keep the knife moving forward out of your hand. Two, you can move your hand rearward on the handle, snug up against the cord, and extend the chopping ability of the blade. Three, and most important , is that if the knife does go flying out of your hand, it tends to swing OUTWARD from your body, instead of inward. .

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/29/11 01:49 PM

.........."I always thought that you just put around your wrist in case it slipped out of your hand.".......

Not even close!!
...to be cont....Capt. Chris
PS: Incidently: At every gun & knife show, when I sell any Randall knife with the wrist thong option, I always demonstrate the proper knots and hold...Always! I think it's the least I can do as an authorized Randall knife dealer...Especially after Bo made it a point to show me!..CCS

Capt,I just know your not picking on me now are you? cry Old guy

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/29/11 02:46 PM

Absolutely not...but you're not even close!
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Rick Magee

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/29/11 02:49 PM

At every gun & knife show, when I sell any Randall knife with the wrist thong option, I always demonstrate the proper knots and hold...Always! I think it's the least I can do as an authorized Randall knife dealer...Especially after Bo made it a point to show me!..CCS

Having seen this in person I can attest to it's cleverness and usefulness. And yes, I have completely forgotten how to do it. blush
Posted by: KENKAN

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/29/11 02:57 PM

CAPT. CHRIS SHOWED ME THIS METHOD MANY YEARS AGO AND WILL BE
POSTING WITH PHOTO'S LATER
YOU WILL BE AMAZED HOW WELL IT WORKS

KEN LAMBERT
RKS #3610
NRA BENEFACTOR
FOP

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/29/11 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: kalervo
If you run the lanyard over the BACK of the hand, then over top to the thumb, you accomplish several things. One, the twisted cord serves as a stop to keep the knife moving forward out of your hand. Two, you can move your hand rearward on the handle, snug up against the cord, and extend the chopping ability of the blade. Three, and most important , is that if the knife does go flying out of your hand, it tends to swing OUTWARD from your body, instead of inward. .

+1 this is a good method no matter what anyone says, I have used it enough to know.

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/29/11 03:34 PM

Absolutely not...but you're not even close!
Best, Capt. Chris

Capt, To be honest I like the lanyards but they get in my way,probably because I was not doing it the right way. I remember seeing a picture of a knife of yours with with the lanyard done the way I think you are talking about. I can't wait for your instructions. Will this be a free lesson or do we need to buy tickets? oldguy

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/29/11 04:08 PM

Good news Capt., I would definitely like to see Bo's proper usage of the Wrist Thong demonstrated!!!

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/29/11 10:09 PM

1) I would not drill a Thong Hole in a Randall Knife myself.

2) I would be very interested in seeing Bo's proper usage of the thong in a Randall Knife. Thanks Capt Chris.

3) I meant no disrespect of Leatherman and appreciate his demonstrated usage of the Knife Thong on his Model #14 knife.

4) I have my method and location for a thong hole in a knife and why I use it the way I do.

Tom Vaught

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/29/11 10:45 PM

Todd,

Sorry but I disagree with your opinion. The point was and still is, that this thread is way off course and has nothing to do with the title. Not saying that the current content isn't interesting but it belongs in its own topic. Lets throw in the towel, call it a day and move on, shall we?

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/30/11 09:10 PM

Capt, Is it a Fisherman's knot or the Double Fisherman's knot on the lanyard? oldguy

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/30/11 10:10 PM

Cap,
I very much look forward to your new posts ... to learn and be informed.

But! I have to say this ... I hope this "standing tree" was a dead tree ...
Quote:
I cut down a small standing tree to make a fire with,

In all my years as an outdoorsman ... from a boy, to this day ...
CUTTING DOWN LIVE TREES, NO MATTER HOW SMALL, IS AGAINST EVERYTHING I'VE EVER LEARNED AND TAUGHT OTHERS ABOUT THE
OUTDOORS ... UNLESS YOUR LIFE ABSOLUTELY DEPENDED ON IT. Fallen wood and DEAD trees, (as a last resort), is the proper
and responsible way to exist in the outdoors.
In all my outdoor exertions ... even in times of stress ... as in day long paddling in a cold rain, on a wilderness river, have I or
my companions EVER cut down LIVE trees. We've always existed, for days, on dead fall wood ... occasionally, coming upon a totally dead tree,
we would push it down and use it for fuel to cook on on and keep us warm.
Live trees are not to be used.

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/30/11 10:15 PM

I didn't cut down a tree Tony:Living, dead or otherwise. Must have been someone elses' post.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/30/11 10:19 PM

I know Cap.
I'm sorry for the confusion.
I was commenting on Leatherman's post. And he may have used a dead tree. Just not sure.

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/30/11 10:29 PM

on my property I have a section of my woods that is essentially a gravel hill. the majority of the trees in this area are dead. (I have actually almost been hit by a widow maker several times here) This young black cherry in the picture was dead or nearly dead, one reason why I like to make fire in this area is because of the abundance of standing dead wood. My father and I fell a very large white oak a few years ago that we think died from the gravel (with axes and a misery whip!)

I am very serious about reforestation on my property.

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/30/11 10:31 PM

That's good to know, Ben!
Thanks,
Tony

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/30/11 10:44 PM

Tony,

I'm begging you as a fellow New Yorker and reasonable person. What does all this have to do with drilling a finished knife for a wrist thong hole? I've been asking this question for two days and I would love to know the happy ending to the original post. Does anyone have a clue to answer to the original post?

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/30/11 10:56 PM

Yeah, You're right Foster.
But sometimes, as has been stated, a post will take a slight turn. It's natural.
What can you do?
grin

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/30/11 11:08 PM

Tony,

Sorry I'm tapped out this week but still looking for who has the answer to this riddle. Guess too much rain and wind. I had a girlfriend named Irene... nother story for a beer someday. The internet is full of answers to the most intersting questions.

Posted by: Mr_Mod

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/30/11 11:10 PM

"Does anyone have a clue to answer to the original post?"

Mr Foster, this question has been answered by;

Tony LaPetri: "I wouldn't do it!",

Capt Chris: "I did it twice!",

smcbrearty; "That answer ends any chance of me ever trying it",

Robert Frey; "so I guess I won't even try it",

Peter Kaufman: "I have not but have thought about it"

Tom Vaught: "would I have attempt to drill a wrist thong in a Randall, NEVER"

All those on the FIRST page!

If you continue to "troll" about on this thread you will be handled accordingly...

Mr Mod

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/30/11 11:17 PM

Mr Mod,

Yeah all those posts were relevant with no argument.

Please read subsequent posts and tell me what this content has to do with the title.

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/30/11 11:17 PM

As a professional forester of many years, I have a few thousand words to say about the cutting of trees, and managing of forests....................................but I have to drill my thong hole first.

Pap
Posted by: Mr_Mod

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/30/11 11:27 PM

Check the original title, they do now, please play nice...

Mr Mod

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/30/11 11:33 PM

Mr. Mod,

Better and agreed.
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/31/11 06:29 AM

Drilling one's own wrist thong hole would make the knife "altered", thus voiding the warranty. Could be one reason why you are not seeing the responses you are looking for.

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/31/11 08:04 AM

Originally Posted By: T Foster
Tony,

I'm begging you as a fellow New Yorker and reasonable person. What does all this have to do with drilling a finished knife for a wrist thong hole? I've been asking this question for two days and I would love to know the happy ending to the original post. Does anyone have a clue to answer to the original post?

the only right way to drill a lanyard hole is to send it back to randall and have them do it right!

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/31/11 08:39 AM

Amen! smile
Posted by: cliff14094

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/31/11 10:02 AM

IMHO anyone with machinist experience could drill a lanyard hole in a Randall. What's the big deal?

Cliff Lacey
RKS #023
Posted by: Ronnie

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/31/11 01:26 PM

Cliff I think the big deal is most of us aren't machinists...much less machinists with experience.

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/31/11 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: cliff14094
IMHO anyone with machinist experience could drill a lanyard hole in a Randall. What's the big deal?

Cliff Lacey
RKS #023

The warranty on the knife would be void.

IMO this topic is pretty much moot anyhow. Most Randall knives that are made are never used. How many do you own that you USE? A wrist thong is pretty much a function only option.

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/31/11 07:09 PM

"A wrist thong is pretty much a function only option."

Ben,
I know a couple of collectors who, back in the "pre-5 option limit" days, were convinced (by me) to install a wrist thong on as many of their knives as they should. The reason? It allows you to display the knives in a wider variety of positions. If you have a wall-mounted, easel mounted, etc, display you can use a small finishing nail and stake the handle over that small nail with the wrist thong hole. With a small cup hook (or other piece of hardware) you can then secure the blade at any position by locating it nesr the choil.
Just one more idea....Capt. Chris
Posted by: Duke

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/31/11 07:38 PM

"How many Randalls do I own AND use?" Let's see....
a #8 old style
2-#10-7"....one in salt water and one in the kitchen
a #10-3"
a #28 and can't decide yet about the #5 from Randall's last sale, but it is feeling so good in my hand that I'm afraid it will just have to gut something in a few more weeks.
I am lucky enough to own a couple more and have some due to arrive any day. Using 'em? I just can't help it 'cause they feel so good!!! Oh yeah, they all have wrist thong holes.

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/31/11 08:13 PM

Well thats something I didnt think of!

PS. when you going to show us the right way to use a lanyard?

"A wrist thong is pretty much a function only option."

Ben,
I know a couple of collectors who, back in the "pre-5 option limit" days, were convinced (by me) to install a wrist thong on as many of their knives as they should. The reason? It allows you to display the knives in a wider variety of positions. If you have a wall-mounted, easel mounted, etc, display you can use a small finishing nail and stake the handle over that small nail with the wrist thong hole. With a small cup hook (or other piece of hardware) you can then secure the blade at any position by locating it nesr the choil.
Just one more idea....Capt. Chris
Posted by: tglassco

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/31/11 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Duke
"How many Randalls do I own AND use?" Let's see....

I have about 30 Randall Made Knives. Most are big knives 12-8's, 12-9's, 8" #2's, #1's I also have some # 3's , #23's, #19's. I have a particular Model # 3 - 5" that is my GO - TO knife and has been for a long time.

One thing I won't do is to use one just to say I used it.

Sure I will slice a piece of fruit or cut up some meat, pepperoni and similar stuff with some of them just for fun because almost all of the blades are stainless but I would never take a new/unused Randall Made Knife out in the field when I have one that I use that is just as well suited for the task. Just like any other high quality tool, I will use the tool that best suits the intended purpose. And I don't cut down trees, large or small, live or dead with a Randall Made Knife and batoning is totally out of the question. smirk And for clearing out the yard after a tropical storm or worse I have two chain saws and several pruners of various sizes plus a heavy duty string trimmer with steel blade attachments. laugh

I find the Model #3 - 5" SS blade to be a very universal knife. I do have a new, unused Model #14 SS blade in a handy place on my boat for emergencies but my Model #3 would be on my belt.

Sorry Todd, I guess this thread is off track again. grin

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/31/11 08:23 PM

Well as far as drilling a knife for the thong, it's your knife and by all means go for it. Just remember that you have waited several years for it to be made, the shop has spent a good bit of time making it for you and it looks good. But in less than a very few minutes you can ruin it forever. Sure it will void your warranty, but the shop might be able to fix it at who knows how much money. So go ahead and try it. Just don't come on the forum with your pictures and crying about what happened or how much your repair bill may be.oldguy

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/31/11 08:26 PM

Capt, where's the thong instructions? Oldguy

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/31/11 08:32 PM

Actually, if you just think deeply about Rosie O'Donell, and use your wrist as her neck, the wrist thong will do the rest.

Pap

I'll get the wrist thong tying photos shot soon. I gotta' work...a "little" bit!!
Best, Capt. Chris

Capt,
I almost forgot to ask you that when my Model 3 Starter Set is ready to ship willl you tie my lanyard for me? oldguy

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/31/11 09:16 PM

"How many do you own that you USE?"

I started this thread because the next one I order (a Model 23) is going to be a user, and if I want a Wrist Thong, I have to give up another option I want, or risk drilling it myself.

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/31/11 09:28 PM

Give up an option. Take the wrist thong.

Pap

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/31/11 09:28 PM

Tom, using my 14 in the field was one of the most fun experiences with a knife I have ever had! I find it sad that people are afraid to put a knife to use in the application it was made for. The 14 is most certainly heavy duty survival knife, mine was doing what it was made to do!

As far as a chainsaw goes, those aren't much fun and I prefer hand tools to power tools any day!

As far as the thread going off topic, we are talking about randall knives on a randall forum!

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/31/11 09:29 PM

Robert,
How do you want it configured. I know you probably already know this but thumb notches are standard on a #23.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/31/11 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Robert Frey
"How many do you own that you USE?"

I started this thread because the next one I order (a Model 23) is going to be a user, and if I want a Wrist Thong, I have to give up another option I want, or risk drilling it myself.

You can simply send it in and they will drill it for you for minimal cost and it will be done right!

If the handle material is wood or some delicate material It could get damaged though.

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/31/11 09:36 PM

Rob, the wrist thong can be handy to have. If after you decide you want it please have it done by the RMK shop. It's just not worth the chance of messing your knife up. Jerry

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/31/11 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Leatherman

Most Randall knives that are made are never used. How many do you own that you USE? A wrist thong is pretty much a function only option.

I would agree with every part of that post.

1) If I had access to the knowledge of "how to do it properly" (from the Craftsman who actually does that operation at Randall Made Knives), I still would not do it.
It would be my "first attempt" vs the Randall Made Knives Craftsman having done hundreds (if not thousands) of knives as part of his regular job over the years, Drilling the Thong hole.

2) How many knives do I "use"? Today, probably about 1/2 of them. Last count I had 65 knives.

a) Originally I was buying only knives from Randall and others that were sharpened and made of durable materials, A Bradford Angier #5, A Micarta #14, a Tri-athelete, a #16 Special Fighter, a #8 & #11, #3 & #4 carbon leather handle knives are among the other "users". Some were bought new, some were used.

b) Then I started collecting a knife from each Dealer, Some "Remember Vietnam" knives, and some special wood or option Knives. These would not be "used". What would be the point?

Hope that answered your questions.

Jason Randall had a couple of knives "rehandled" that were NEW KNIVES (never delivered) because he knew that I had "small hands" and would not be happy with a large grip knife as a "user". True story, ask him some time.

That being said, I have had other knives drilled for "thong holes" (where I wanted the hole) by McLaren Racing Engines machinists. A lot of set-up time had to be done not to damage the knife.

JMO

Tom Vaught

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/31/11 10:29 PM

On topic. Off topic. All around the topic. ... Whew!!!!!!!
I'll say one thing ... this thread is getting a lot of attention/discussion.
And that's a good thing!!!!!!!
grin
Posted by: Sidney_Redford

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/31/11 11:34 PM

All I can say is Da##. If you want the thong hole that bad wait for the shop, or go to evil-bay or several other venues and get it right now for just a little more money. I don't think that this drifted off topic as to become boring. Just did not set well with ONE person. Lighten up. Be happy that we have the forums back at all.

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 08/31/11 11:49 PM

Robert,
How do you want it configured. I know you probably already know this but thumb notches are standard on a #23.
Best, Capt. Chris

Right now, I am looking at these options:

Stainless Steel - 1
Nickel Silver Single Hilt - 2
Squared Top Hilt - N/C
All Black Spacers - N/C
Black Micarta Handle - 3
Finger Grips - under (#14) type - 4
Compass (Installed) - 5

and of course the Wrist Thong, for 6 chargeable options.

I have until October 15-ish to make up my mind.

All suggestions are welcome!

ETA: The thread drift has been OK with me, the discussion for the most part was related and good info I will find useful once the knife is in my greedy paws. If I could send it back after I received it for the Wrist Thong, my problem would be solved. But, Randall may think I'm just trying to cheat on the option limit, and I don't want them to blackball me (if they do that).

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 09/01/11 12:17 AM

Others may have more insight as to weather they will get angry at you for cheating the option limit but one things for sure they will be able to do the micarta handle correctly/without damage given its such a durable material.

Sounds like it is going to be a great knife, I love the option list. What blade length are you going to choose? Also what is the primary use of the knife? Curiosity killed the cat!

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 09/01/11 12:28 AM

Ben,
There's only one blade length on a Model #23...That's 4 1/2".
Rob,
The shop does not like adding options once the knife is completed. Good luck with that one. Brass hilt would get you there. No compass? You have choices.
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Jacknola

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 09/01/11 12:43 AM

I hate to intrude on this line, but I didn't want to start a new one. I was looking at an "old" model 14 knife (no sheath) in a "junk" shop in New Orleans this weekend. It had no thong hole liner, but something was wrong about it to my inexperienced eye.

Is there a foolproof or easy way to tell if a thong liner was drilled out? This one had some faint circular marks inside the macarta, and some other oddities in the bevel where the thong hole exited. I just couln't pull the trigger with questions in my mind. Thanks

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 09/01/11 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Leatherman
Others may have more insight as to weather they will get angry at you for cheating the option limit but one things for sure they will be able to do the micarta handle correctly/without damage given its such a durable material.

Sounds like it is going to be a great knife, I love the option list. What blade length are you going to choose? Also what is the primary use of the knife? Curiosity killed the cat!

The name of the Model 23 is the "Gamemaster", so it will be my hunting knife.

Capt.,

Yeah, the hard part is deciding which option to give up and why!!!

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 09/01/11 02:50 AM

The thong hole is 1/4" in diameter when the liner is drilled out the hole is larger than 1/4". The original thong holes before the liner was added were 1/4" as well. Stupid dang trick the thieves pull and it is or should be easily recognizable. The original thong holes were beveled and some of those dumb asses that drill these knives don't know that and that is easily recognizable. It is a constant fight. In the end, good will win over evil.
Ronnie
RKS #2166
Posted by: Jacknola

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 09/01/11 09:31 AM

Thanks Ronnie, you just saved me some money AND added to my knowledge base. I might buy the knife anyway, but will offer a fraction of the asking price and be glad to walk away. I'll keep a little set of calipers in my car in the future. Regards, Jack

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 09/01/11 09:56 AM

Under those circumstances I'd drop the NS hilt for a brass and go for the wrist thong. Otherwise I would leave the NS hilt and drop the finger grips. Basically your #23 would be just like a Bradford Angier, which I like.

Pap

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 09/01/11 11:55 AM

Jack, calipers are not a necessary tool for you in this case...look at your Randall knives and then look at the knife at the junk shop. It is painfully obvious that something is wrong. Also please don't buy the knife. If you ever want to sell it you're gonna have a problem. The knife is now ruined. Let the junk shop guy eat it.
Posted by: HALORANGER

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 09/01/11 02:43 PM

I would not say the knife is ruined if you plan on using it and can get it cheap. The knifes performance would not be hurt by the thong hole being enlarged. If a knife needs to be modified to fit your purpose, I see nothing wrong with it. Although once it has been modified I would not to try and sell it for something its not.

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 09/16/11 04:35 PM

For those who are curious, I have made my decision, these are the options I will order:

Model 23 - 4 1/2"
Stainless Steel Blade - 1
Nickel Silver Single Hilt - 2
Squared Top Hilt - N/C
All Black Spacers - N/C
Black Micarta Handle - 3
Finger Grips - under (#14) type - 4
Wrist Thong - 5

I decided to drop the Compass because I ALWAYS carry a compass around my neck EVERY time I go into the woods hunting. Besides, I have a Bradford Angier copy on my wish list and I'll get a compass on that one someday.

If I had access to a Bridgeport milling machine, I have the ability to drill the hole. I worked as a gunsmith before, so I have the training and skills. The hard part would be fabricating the jig to hold the knife in the vise so it doesn't get damaged. But, I will not do it myself, I might try it on one I bought well used someday, just not on a brand new one.

This has been a good thread that spawned another really good thread on tying the thong properly. Thanks guys!!! grin

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 09/16/11 05:42 PM

Sounds like a nice knife. I hope you share a photo or two when you receive it.
Thanks, Capt. Chris

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 09/16/11 06:20 PM

I will. Maybe by then my photographic skills will have improved.

Re: Anybody Drilled Your Own Wrist Thong Hole? - 09/17/11 09:06 AM

Rob,
That's gonna be a great user!
Tony