Hmmm? How Vintage is This One?

Posted by: Bill_Jacobs

Hmmm? How Vintage is This One? - 09/21/09 09:44 PM

ebay item # 270457069464 is a very nice looking Randall that seems to be newer than the sheath. The stone is from a real early era. My Quick Reference Guide says White Washita is from around 1946 to '54. The auction looks like it will go pretty high, but something just doesn't look right. What do you think?
Posted by: New2Randalls

Re: Hmmm? How Vintage is This One? - 09/21/09 09:51 PM

Bill, I may be mistaken but I believe the seller is an RKS member, so the knife should be ok.
Dan Snyder #5537
Posted by: boardrider

Re: Hmmm? How Vintage is This One? - 09/22/09 02:20 PM

Thanks for bringing up this knife, as it is my listing. It would seem that I mixed up at least two #1 8" knives and sheaths. As near as I can tell I was listing the wrong sheath and stone with the knife. I have cancelled the listing and will try and sort out which knives go with which sheaths.
I will post pictures of some of the knives and hopefully can get this sorted out. I think this is one of the problems with storing knives and sheaths separatly.
Posted by: 7033grip

Re: Hmmm? How Vintage is This One? - 09/22/09 02:47 PM

Griff, if only "Showtime" cared one/one thousandth as much as you about being accurate, a lot of people wouldn't be walking around with questionable knives on their hips.

Dubie
Posted by: silverknife

Re: Hmmm? How Vintage is This One? - 09/22/09 03:15 PM

Griff.

I too store my knives separately from the sheaths. So that I (or my executor ) can keep them straight, I put an inventory tag with a number on the case with the knife and attach another inventory tag with the same number to the sheath. The inventory tag on the knife also helps to find the one I am looking for instead of having to open every case since I keep a list of which knives have what numbers.

Regards,
Doug
Posted by: tunefink

Storing Knives & Sheathes - 09/22/09 04:29 PM

I like to keep them together.... but I don't allow the sheath to touch the knife. I put the sheath in a white nylon walmart sock then both the knife and the sheath in a zipperes case. It keeps the sheathes looking good and they are always with the right knife when I pull them out.

You can buy the socke for like $3 for 5 pairs or something.... Just my .02
Posted by: Bill_Jacobs

Re: Hmmm? How Vintage is This One? - 09/22/09 04:49 PM

Griff, a big roger on what Dubie said. I didn't know this was your listing but it is comforting to know that honest, RKS folks are out there in ebay land! Thanks, Bill J.
P.S. Now I know who you are on the bay.
Posted by: BigJim

Re: Hmmm? How Vintage is This One? - 09/22/09 06:36 PM

Bill,
Good eye.
Griff,
Stand up as always.I also keep knives/sheaths separately.
Confusing sometimes to say the least.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!
Posted by: bart

Re: Hmmm? How Vintage is This One? - 09/23/09 11:34 AM

Looks like you're getting off of some great knives!! How's little Dume treating you these days? We haven't had a real swell here in over 3 mos! Bart RKS#132
Posted by: bwknifefan

Re: Hmmm? How Vintage is This One? - 10/03/09 05:25 PM

I give each Randall a S/N tag and I place an information tag that describes the RMK in the stone pocket of the sheath, if it has one. I have recently gone back and added the same S/N tag to the sheaths. I have also separated the black sheaths from the brown sheaths.
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Hmmm? How Vintage is This One? - 10/04/09 05:32 AM

Jim,
Check your emails...Thanks. Gotta get back to the show!
Best, Capt. Chris