Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!!

Posted by: JesseEgnew

Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/20/08 08:13 AM

This is form one of the other forums with the Capt’s permission

About mid 1980's Jeff McCartney, one of the Randall shop's key knife craftsman, had a Model #23-4 1/2" that had a slight crack in the false edge. The knife was stainless and Jeff thought that the crack was minor enough and shallow enough to make a decent knife out of this already finished "Gamemaster" without having to toss the whole thing out. What remained, after Jeff's superb customization, was a slightly shorter version (around 4") of the Model #23, with a more "bowie-styled" false edge. Actually it looked like a cross between an "old style" Trout and Bird and a Model #12-6" "Little Bear Bowie"!
Keep in mind that this Randall was made of 1/4" stock! I took one look at it and knew that it was the design I had been looking for! I struck a deal with Gary and my "Stanaback Special" was born! A lot of cool knife designs, as well as other things, come from mistakes. This knife, although not a true mistake, was no exception!! Thanks again to Jeff and Gary and, of course, Bo Randall, for making this superb Randall an exclusive to me. I can't tell you all how well it is received by folks. It just plain "works"!
As for the serial numbers, I only made 100 of these 4" specials with serial numbers, 1-100. All were leather handles and the number was etched next to the trademark. All have been long since sold out and sold for around $225.00. Those were the days, hey guys?
A few years later, when I was allowed to have 2 forgings, the 4 5/8" version was introduced. This knife had/ has the oxblood sheath with an EZE-lap sharpening steel, fitted in a leather tube pouch on the face of the sheath. This model "Stanaback", as well as the original 4" version, are still available today.
I have a serial numbered version of the 4 5/8", the "limited" which is "still available" in limited quantities. The total production of these will be 200, with well over half of them already sold and delivered. These longer specials are etched on the opposite side, a location everyone is more familiar with. They are made up with stainless steel blades, thumb notches, brass single hilt, brass and black spacers, a leather "commando-shaped" handle, and a brass butt cap, which is radiused.

I would like to thank everyone on the form for participating in these “knife of the week threads” it has been a huge success!!!
So without further a due ladies and Gentlemen may we please see some Stanaback Specials!!!!
Posted by: Raindog

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/20/08 08:52 AM

This particular knife is one of my favorites. The slab-side handle fits my hand perfect:

Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/20/08 11:38 AM

Jesse and all other members,
Thanks to the support of my customers and this club, the "Stanaback Special" has lived a long and prosperous life! I see even more great things for this durable, attractive and functional blade design...It just plain "works"!!
Since this printing of the genisis of my "Stanaback", there have been a good many additional "Limiteds" sold, but a few are still available. I have some ideas for "future" versions, but nothing is concrete as of yet. My 25th anniversary of this special isn't but a few months away....We'll see. I'll try and send some pics to the "Chief" of a couple of "Stanaback Specials". Thank you all for your support and welcome comments about my dealer special.
Best for now, Captain Chris Stanaback
Posted by: BigJim

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/20/08 11:54 AM

Gary,
That's one Great Looking Knife.
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!
Posted by: tomthbomb

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/20/08 12:04 PM

One in the safe. One on order. Would like one more!

Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/20/08 12:08 PM

Gary,
That's a great looking Stanaback. In fact, I like it so much that I ordered one
with the slab-sided stag not too long ago!
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/20/08 12:09 PM

Tom,
ANOTHER BEAUTY!
Is that red or maroon Micarta?
Tony
Posted by: Tanasie

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/20/08 01:07 PM

...this is my 'special' Stanaback Special, can you guess why ?

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/20/08 01:24 PM

Rex,
It's not stainless, or not MARKED stainless??
(I thought all Stanabacks were stainless)
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/20/08 02:17 PM

Tony..and others,
Back in the early 90's I had 50 carbon steel "Stanabacks" forged. I was going to give up my short, 4" stainless knife and have the 4 5/8" length available in both stainless steel and carbon. Of course they didn't sell. It's a "Florida" thing. Ya'll wouldn't understand.
I begged Gary to let me "switch back" and he politely agreed. The majority of folks that asked for a carbon offering did not come through. They weren't from "around here". If something will hold up in Florida it will hold up most anywhere. Anyway: Stainless is "all" that is available now and thank God for that!
As a side note: The very first "Stanaback Special / Serial Numbered knife", i.e. the 4" was done initially to help "use up" the forging and make way for the carbon. I guess it all works out in the long run...so long as ya'll don't want another "rusty" Stanaback Special!!
Best for now, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/20/08 02:35 PM

...no rust on this one Captain, as new as the day it left the shop, and being 1 of only 50 made, makes it kind'a 'special' to me.
Posted by: Peter63

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/20/08 03:14 PM

Here´s another one with stag and deep-cut grooves.

Posted by: patrickjames

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/20/08 03:48 PM

Peter,Thats probably the best fingergrip I've seen on a Randall.One beautiful Randall!!!
Posted by: Holzinger258

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/20/08 04:11 PM

This one isn't real--yet. It's the one I hope Capt. Chris will make for me, if white lineal micarta is available for it.
-Steve

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/20/08 04:18 PM

Dude:
I'm workin' on it!!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/20/08 06:32 PM

Tony, my Stanaback Special has red micarta. Hard to tell in the low light of the Deep East Texas morning.
Posted by: 7033grip

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/20/08 06:43 PM

Tony, it's about the same shade as the back of Tom's neck.

Dubie Baxter
Posted by: blazer05

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/21/08 09:35 AM

Dumb question - but can the Stanaback Special still be ordered?
Posted by: sterusmall

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/21/08 10:16 AM

Quote:

Dumb question - but can the Stanaback Special still be ordered?

Yes.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/21/08 11:10 AM

Gene,
Both blade lengths of my special are still available..."BUT"..(there's that word again)..."only" in stainless. There are still some numbers left in the "limited", but all are slotted to be completed before the end of 2011. Most of them will be finished in 2010 or sooner, but there will surely be a few leftovers in 2011, plus, with the Randall shop running 3 months behind scheduled delivery dates, some of the 2010's will not come in until 2011. Other "Stanaback Specials" will take a bit longer, i.e. 2011 and beyond.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/21/08 07:28 PM

Capt. Chris's Knives
Posted by: Chief

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/21/08 08:26 PM

Quote:

Capt. Chris's Knives

Rogues gallery for sure

See ya, Chief

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/21/08 08:54 PM

I "still" say Perry and I look like we're having a good time and Rick looks like he's going to prison!!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/21/08 09:55 PM

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/21/08 10:12 PM

Had to steal Perry's photo as it's on the way, Thanks again Perry!

See Ya, Chief

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/23/08 04:01 PM

Jesse...
My Stanaback Special,that Jim Behring of "Treeman Knives", re-handled for me.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/23/08 06:11 PM

WOW some great knives have been shown!!! Thanks to all who have participated thus far.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/23/08 08:17 PM

Quote:

Jesse...
My Stanaback Special,that Jim Behring of "Treeman Knives", re-handled for me.

Very Nice!!!!

See Ya, Chief

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/23/08 10:05 PM

And here it is arrived today! My First "small" bladed RMK!

See Ya, Chief
Posted by: Cisco

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/23/08 10:38 PM

Congratulations Chief! Sure is a beauty....
Posted by: Burnie

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/23/08 10:42 PM

Nice Chief, Thats some DEEP FG's
Posted by: 1gunner

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/23/08 11:05 PM

Chief,Yeow that is flat out gorgeous. Thanks for sharing,Tom #3081
Posted by: 1gunner

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/23/08 11:35 PM

I've posted these before but what the heck...I gotta join in on the fun!!!

Tom #3081
Posted by: BOB_TEATES

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/24/08 06:11 AM

you guys are killing me.nice Stanabacks.I talked to the good Captain yesterday,mine is on order. Bob

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/24/08 06:15 AM

That's a little sweetheart Chief.

Dubie Baxter
Posted by: Guido_Bitossi

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/24/08 11:09 AM

Chief, your little SS in ivory is so nice !!!

Here'R mine
Best
Guido

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/24/08 03:31 PM

Tom,

I like that curved big Stag on the top knife looks like it would be a nice user!

See ya, Chief

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/24/08 03:35 PM

Guido,

That top knife, is that a Border Patrol handle? That's the first time I've seen one on a Stanaback Special!! I like the look of that!!! What type of wood is it?

See Ya, Chief

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/24/08 06:14 PM

I've been trying to tell everybody a "Border Patrol" has a slightly different look and feel vs. a #22. Now ya' see it for yourself. That could be cocobola. Too long ago..Hard to remember. Tomthebomb's cherry red 4" Stanaback special is a border patrol...I think...I could be mistaken. I have been working on specifications for 4 days. Everything is a little "foggy"!
Best, Capt. Chris

P.S. I posted this, went back to page #1 of this thread and double-checked. The 4" Stanaback Spl. of Tom's in cherry red micarta "is" a border patrol, but the butt cap has been radioused! God : I wish I could keep 'em all! CCS

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/24/08 06:34 PM

Show us at the Guild Show !!!

Where you gonna be?

Dubie Baxter

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/24/08 07:34 PM

Dubie,
I will attend the guild show on Friday morning and afternoon, but there are no Randall knives allowed on the floor, therefore I am not bringing any. I will be "carrying" the first Triathelete with musk ox, but none for sale. But I'll be shopping for handle material!!
P.S. Besides: Just how many "Stanaback Specials" do you think I own? CCS

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/24/08 07:39 PM

Captain, please explain what you mean when you say "No Randall knives will be allowed on the floor"?

I was going to wear my #3-4". Will I be allowed in?

Not being too familiar with the Guild show, is this only for custom makers who are members of the Guild?

I just wanted to talk to you about a Stanaback Special...Are you allowed to speak about Randalls'?

Dubie Baxter

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/24/08 08:42 PM

You can "wear" a Randall but the sales of any type of display of Randalls, even behind the table, out of a briefcase, is grounds for expulsion!...and they ain't kiddin'. Kinda ridiculous: I remember when Dave, Pete, myself and a few other "Randallholics" manned the Randall knife booth at this very Guild's show a few years back. Actually: It was the 50th anniversary of Randall knives and we were invited to set up...but that's it. Charlie Scannapeico walked around the floor with a cart trying to advertise and sell Randall knives out of it. He was asked to leave. He tried the same thing in the lobby. He was "asked" again...They're serious!! I'll see ya', along with Tom on Friday. Just give my phone a ring. I'll hook up with you guys at Rhett and Janie's table. Best for now, Capt. Chris
Posted by: LarryWW1246

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/24/08 09:00 PM

Regarding the allowability of Randall's at the Guild Show, I remember running into Pete Hamilton at the 1995 show and asking him why RMK was not set up. He explained, I think by saying something like the Guild considered Randall's to be production line knives--never mind that they are 100% handmade.

That always seemed ironic to me, considering that so many of the luminaries of the "custom" world over the years have had one or more employees who worked with them on a division-of-labor basis to turn out their knives, meaning that the workers' names did not (usually) go on the finished product (the only exception that I know of is the Loveless-Johnson collaboration when Steve worked with him). A couple of examples are Lile with local hires, Loveless with Johnson, Draper with Johnson and Hibben and others, etc. I never pursued this with members of the Guild, but wondered if it is a matter of "degree" versus "kind", i.e., some employees are OK, but some number of employees is too many.

Anyway, I always suspected that from the perspective of RMK it was not worth the bother--recall the saying "The best revenge is living well."

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/24/08 09:20 PM

Bo was one of the founders of the guild. He is one of their pioneers and is in their hall of fame (for lack of the proper word). The Guild is going through..and "has" been going through a great deal of internal struggle over this very subject. It ain't over..not even close. Too bad. The show used to be so good and now it is half the size it used to be...but we are not sticking to Randall content when I rant, so I'll shut up and go and spend money anyway!! Hope to see a batch of ya' there!!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/24/08 09:23 PM

Fantastic photos! Anybody have a Stanaback Special with a double guard? I have one coming early next year.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/24/08 09:45 PM

Anybody have a picture of all the Stanaback Specials together?

See Ya, Chief

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/25/08 03:06 PM

Chief..I think there are only 2 models of the 'Stanaback Special', the 4 inch blade model and the 4 5/8 inch blade model, in the standard configuration. Here are my 2 in the Standard configuration, these were 'Limited production' the 4 inch was 01/100 and the 4 5/8 inch was 01/200, both mine are #010. If this info is incorrect please correct it.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/19/09 11:25 AM

I started offering my "Stanaback Special" 25 years ago. Actually: Maybe a hair longer, but nobody can seem to come up with the exact date, so let's just say 25 years ago. The knife was only available, at that time, in a 4" stainless steel blade, forged from 1/4" stock, BCP (Bowie Clip Point), TB (Top Bevel Sharpened) and TN (Thumb Notches). To this day, my "Special" and the Randall "Fireman" are the only models available in this blade length and stock thickness!
Various handle offerings, almost unlimited were available. This singular model went on for about 3-4 years, when Gary reluctantly agreed to make the longer Stanaback for me. I can go on and on, but the 2 are both offered today.
The reason I am posting on here at this time is to share one of my "Specials" that I have recently picked up from the Randall shop. It ...and I explain, during the next series of photos you are about to see, a good deal about my "Special". I also wanted ya'll to see a couple of "current" knife models the Randall shop has just completed.
Please keep in mind that this "Special", along with 2 other Randall catalog models that I am going to post today, were/are "stock" Randall knife orders. No special handle material or requests were made. So: Check 'em out!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/19/09 11:29 AM

This "Special" is the longer version. It is 4 5/8" and can be easily disinguished from my 4" model by the oxblood sheath and EZE-Lap diamond sharpening steel, located in the tube pouch on the front of the sheath.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/19/09 11:31 AM

The EZE-Lap steel is easy to use and quick to assemble.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/19/09 11:34 AM

Just slip it out of the leather tube pouch and uncrew the rod from the handle.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/19/09 11:36 AM

Here's the 2 sections...
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/19/09 11:43 AM

Reverse the end and re-screw the diamond rod onto the handle and you've got a fast reliable way to touch up your blade in a pinch. A wet stone or ceramics are certainly more forgiving on your edge, but this diamond steel will save your bacon when it is called upon to do so!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/19/09 11:48 AM

The back of the sheath is stamped with a special logo.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/19/09 11:50 AM

O.K.:
Enough about the collateral equipment...Let's take a look at the knife!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/19/09 11:53 AM

Besides the 4 5/8" stainless steel blade forging, you can see a few other options (and standard equipment as well).
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/19/09 11:56 AM

A closer look at the blade itself. BCP (Bowie Clip Point) has the same appearance as the Randall Model #12-6", "Little Bear Bowie"...One of my favorite Bowies!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/19/09 11:59 AM

Thumb notches are standard on my "Special". So are metal spacers, in this case "brass and black" to match the brass single hilt.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/19/09 12:05 PM

Although a leather handle is considered the standard handle, a good many of my "Specials" are made up in stag. Of those stag handled knives, a decent percentage are ordered, as was this one, with "slabbed" sides. This option seems to fit a wide array of folks and is extremely popular.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/19/09 12:08 PM

Captain Chris..
It makes my day anytime a "Stanaback Special" is discussed or shown,with the 1/4" stock and 4 1/2" blade, it reminds me of a 'Grizzly Bear' claw,it's my personal belief that there should be one in every RMK collection.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/19/09 12:16 PM

The bittersweet thing about ordering a "slab side" Stanaback is...Look at the incredible amber stag handle! "And"...Just think how much nice bark had to be removed in order to shape the "slabs"! Oh well: It just shows ya that the Randall shop doen't use up their "not-so-good" stag on the "slab sides"!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/19/09 12:23 PM

Another popular option is #14 style (underneath) finger grips. These FG's allow for left or right hand use. They look and feel just great!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/19/09 12:27 PM

The slab sides and #14 fg's also allow for "all" hand sizes to hang onto this knife...and the "wrist thong" allows you to use the knife safely!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/19/09 12:34 PM

The final photo shows the "slab-side stag" handle from the stern. There are, at the present time, only 2 Randall knife models available with "slabs", so..."PLEASE" Do not call the shop and ask for it on anything else. My "Stanaback" Spl., in both blade lengths, and the non catalog "Cattleman".
Well: This about does it for my "Special". I apologize for my inept photography, but I hope ya'll enjoyed the pictorial anyway!
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Oldvetnam1

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/19/09 05:27 PM

That is a great knife Capt. I defintely will have to get me one of those.
Posted by: Condor

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/19/09 07:17 PM

A beauty of a knife, Rex - thanks for posting. I can't wait for mine to show up . . . in the fullness of time.

And yes, Captain, I like yours too.

New Stanaback Fighter! - 04/26/09 07:54 PM

The Captain says he's seen a few of these but not many.

Setting on top of my new mobile toy.

Posted by: Warren_Polidori

Re: New Stanaback Fighter! - 04/26/09 08:08 PM

Hey Tom, nice Stanaback fighter. I like the mobile toy too. You did very well indeed!

Best,
Warren
Posted by: vklough46

Re: New Stanaback Fighter! - 04/26/09 08:39 PM

Dude, you got a Dell. And a very nice knife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin

Re: New Stanaback Fighter! - 04/26/09 08:48 PM

Hey Tom,
Tough lookin' Stanaback! NICE!
Tony

Re: New Stanaback Fighter! - 04/26/09 11:40 PM

Tom...Great looking Stanaback Special.
Posted by: Aggiemike

Re: New Stanaback Fighter! - 04/27/09 03:52 PM

Here is an intersing one I picked up a while back. I am not sure what the wood is. Anyone have any ideas?

Mike Webb
RKS #4107

Re: New Stanaback Fighter! - 04/27/09 03:54 PM

Looks like Birdseye Maple.

Dubie Baxter
Posted by: pappy19

Re: New Stanaback Fighter! - 04/27/09 05:03 PM

I'm trying to remember how the "Stanaback Special" came into being. Seems to me that the Capt. had an accident with one of his Model 1's and he broke the blade. He took it to Gary and between the two of them, they salvaged that knife to become the "warthog" of Randalls, now known as the Stanaback Special. Any comments out there?

Re: New Stanaback Fighter! - 04/27/09 06:31 PM

Mike....I read this somewhere, and the Captain was explaining it this way , Quote....

"I will give you a brief explanation of the birth of my special, although folks can read a more specific story in the article. About mid 1980's Jeff McCartney, one of the Randall shop's key knife craftsman, had a Model #23-4 1/2" that had a slight crack in the false edge. The knife was stainless and Jeff thought that the crack was minor enough and shallow enough to make a decent knife out of this already finished "Gamemaster" without having to toss the whole thing out. What remained, after Jeff's superb customization, was a slightly shorter version (around 4") of the Model #23, with a more "bowie-styled" false edge. Actually it looked like a cross between an "old style" Trout and Bird and a Model #12-6" "Little Bear Bowie"!
Keep in mind that this Randall was made of 1/4" stock! I took one look at it and knew that it was the design I had been looking for! I struck a deal with Gary and my "Stanaback Special" was born! A lot of cool knife designs, as well as other things, come from mistakes. This knife, although not a true mistake, was no exception!! Thanks again to Jeff and Gary and, of course, Bo Randall, for making this superb Randall an exclusive to me. I can't tell you all how well it is received by folks. It just plain "works"!
Posted by: Don_Hedrick

Re: New Stanaback Fighter! - 04/27/09 07:26 PM

I believe that it`s Thuya Burl. Don

Re: New Stanaback Fighter! - 04/27/09 09:09 PM

Mike & Don,
Sorry I could not post up earlier. I was over at Perry's and just got back. Yes, Don: It is indeed Thuya Burl, stabilized and fitted with nice brass hardware.
Best, Capt. Chris
P.S. I like the story of me breaking my Model #1 to begin the transformation to a "Stanaback Special". Not, true, of course, but put a war story to it and I could sell a double boatload of 'em!!...CCS

Re: New Stanaback Fighter! - 04/27/09 10:13 PM

Capt., I thought you broke your Model #1 while fighting a HUGE boar hog in the jungles of Florida and the Randall snapped off in his back. He ran off and you vowed to get revenge with your new Stanaback Special, made from the old knife. I think that was it.

P.S. I like the story of me breaking my Model #1 to begin the transformation to a "Stanaback Special". Not, true, of course, but put a war story to it and I could sell a double boatload of 'em!!...CCS

Posted by: Peter_Kaufman

Re: New Stanaback Fighter! - 05/10/09 08:36 PM

Hi
I just picked up this 4" special this week. I am curious which ones have numbers on the back side. This doesn't but I have one of the larger limited coming around March, which I believe will be number 107. I really liked the stag on this one, and it looks great next to my stag Bowles special.

Here it is.

Peter

Re: New Stanaback Fighter! - 05/10/09 09:26 PM

The "ONLY" Stanaback Specials that had or have numbers were leather handles. The 4" version was a traditional straight leather handle, red, white & blue spacers and was limited to 100. This was in the late 80's. The longer one (4 5/8") was also leather (still is: I have a handful left) but had all brass hardware (hilt, spacers and butt cap and a "commando-shaped" handle. There were /are going to be a total of 200 numbered.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: New Stanaback Fighter! - 05/10/09 09:29 PM

Peter,
Sorry...Wrong photo. It is a correct photo of one of my Limited II Stanaback Spls., but doesn't show the whole knife. Try this:
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: New Stanaback Fighter! - 05/11/09 12:30 AM

...also the 4" blade has the number etched on the front of the blade beside the RMK stamping..the 4 5/8" blade is etched on the back side of the blade.

Re: New Stanaback Fighter! - 05/11/09 05:10 AM

That is a great looking knife Peter.

Re: New Stanaback Fighter! - 05/11/09 07:35 AM

Thanks Capt. Chris
Mine is ordered with the left hand sheath, otherwise it should be the same as your picture.
There are so many variations and intricate details about these Randalls that makes it so interesting. I am learning more all of the time thanks to all of the great contributors in these forums.
Peter

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/21/09 01:44 PM

...my newly scrimmed Stanaback Special, I figured there should be at least one out there.

Posted by: Cabinet_Man

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/26/09 04:48 PM

That knife gets better looking every time I see it. I have a couple model 11's with slabbed sides, but like it on the SS a lot too!

Nice pic!
~dale

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/26/09 07:46 PM

Rex,
A good friend of mine, and a forum member, had a slab side Stanaback Special done with this very idea (actually: It was my idea) about 5 years ago, except it was with whitetail deer tracks. It's an awesome concept and yours looks every bit as way-cool as his!!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 06/28/09 12:55 PM

Not all the great Randalls were sold at the Blade Show!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 06/28/09 01:07 PM

I took a good amount of "orders" for those, Tom...but I "told ya" I'd save them for you!! True: They were the only pair that is "sold", as in finished, but a decent amount of folks are signed up!! Good luck with them!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/01/09 09:34 PM

This one just came out of the shop 2 days ago! Nice!!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/01/09 09:38 PM

Stanaback Special 4 5/8" with musk ox handle. This is the other side. Hope ya'll like it. I am sure my customer is going to like it.
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: 2ninersavo

Re: New Stanaback Fighter! - 07/01/09 09:41 PM

I'm glad I got my order off in the mail for one. I can't wait.29R
Posted by: sterusmall

Re: New Stanaback Fighter! - 07/03/09 03:27 AM

I received my first Stanaback Special a few weeks ago:

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/11/09 04:48 PM

Cap, have you ever built one of your specials with a #22 grip?

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/13/09 11:35 PM

Tom,
Yes...Several. I have also made a double hilt version with a #22 styled handle and butt cap.
Best, Capt. Chris
P.S.: Why Tom? Are the
micarta wheels" turning again?...CCS

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/14/09 09:22 PM

Quote:

Why Tom? Are the

Posted by: John_Hanlon

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/18/09 06:50 PM

This is one of the nicest Stanaback Specials I have seen. Unfortunately it doesn't belong to me.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/18/09 07:07 PM

Hey John,

If you don't own it you must know who?????????????
What's the secret? It's very nice. The Captain if his memory is is sharp as it's been lately, will remember if you can't!

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/18/09 07:19 PM

I'll remember this, Warren. "NO" more specials are going to be shipped without me opening the butcher paper and "inspecting" them! I guarantee ya' I never saw that one!! I hope it was one of my good customers who got that one. Man-o-man! It doesn't suck!!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/18/09 08:58 PM

Captain,

You HAVE to admit, that is a class act Stanaback Special! Yeh I got lucky on some handles too, but someone got REALLY lucky with the stag on this devil. The best SS I've ever seen with a stag handle. Great going, to the owner!

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/19/09 10:32 AM

Here's my First, but not my last Stanaback Special.
A Limited Edition #095.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/19/09 11:45 AM

Tony, my Gumba:
Thanks for the call. Glad you like it! Most numbers , left to be shipped, are over 100. It was a good thing you had this one on order. Good luck with it!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/19/09 12:33 PM

Thanks Captain!
I may even use it some day!
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/19/09 02:14 PM

Great knife Tony. Use it well.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/19/09 06:58 PM

Tony,

Get your tag and come with me this year. We're getting first blood on my 10 pointer

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/19/09 07:41 PM

Tony, is that a Wolf pelt?

What advertising firm is handling your photo work?

Venison Ribs, or Costolette di Cervo: Agnello scottadito is lamb chops grilled over the coals, and is a great delicacy. This version, made with venison chops, is from Friuli-Venezia Giulia. To serve 6 you'll need:
Prep Time: 2 hours,
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients:
•6 venison chops
•1 cup (250 ml) fairly weak wine, raspberry or apple vinegar
•2 cloves garlic, peeled
•2/5 cup (100 ml) olive oil
•2 6-inch (15 cm) springs rosemary
Preparation:
Marinate the chops for at least an hour in the vinegar. Pat them dry and season them with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a skillet large enough for the chops to lie flat in a single layer and sauté the garlic until it is golden. Add the chops and the rosemary and cook over a gentle flame for 15-20 minutes, turning the meat to cook it evenly on both sides. Serve hot, spooning the pan drippings over the meat.

Dubie Baxter

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/19/09 08:52 PM

Looks more like a Canadian Coyote pelt to me, Dubie. I have 2 of them. The hair doesn't fracture like coyote's hair from down south. Maybe we'll get an answer from Tony....
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/19/09 09:00 PM

Dubie,

Time and again you never disappoint, and I am just LMAO at your responses. You are the best my friend!!!!

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/19/09 10:57 PM

Dubie,
That pelt came from Canada where they told me it was Rabbit.
And I can not lie ... a point and shoot on a tripod in the shade just a couple of feet from bright sunlight...
a piece of black foam core as a reflector to highlight the grind lines on the blade.
MAN ... THAT RECIPE SOUNDS GREAT!!!!!!
Thanks Steve!
Warren ... we'll get there some day and I was thinking the Stanaback would be great for my first whitetail!
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/20/09 11:20 AM

As promised, Tom: Here's a 4" in cocobola.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/22/09 08:05 PM

Quote:

Tom,
Yes...Several. I have also made a double hilt version with a #22 styled handle and butt cap.
Best, Capt. Chris

Cap, if you could dig one outta the safe a snap a photo I would appreciate it!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/17/10 08:05 AM

very happy to have these.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/17/10 08:28 AM

Bob,
Glad you like them. I took a few shots of your most recent one (cocobola, Griffin handle) as well. Terrific overall look. Good luck with it!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/17/10 08:38 AM

That's a real good looking pair Bob. I really like the top one.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/17/10 08:47 AM

Thanks Steve.good picture Capt and thanks for posting it.man I gotta learn to take better pictures

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/17/10 09:54 AM

Here's another...
Really: It's a nice knife...Honest...and a 4" blade to boot!
Best, Capt. Chris

Posted by: ObliviousFool

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/30/10 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
Here's another...
Really: It's a nice knife...Honest...and a 4" blade to boot!
Best, Capt. Chris

That one looks like it might not have a permanent home.... ??????

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/30/10 07:38 AM

This one has a permanent home, but I have more cocobola and will be searching for additional pieces at "Blade". Here's another angle. Enjoy!
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Keith_Hicks

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/30/10 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
Bob,
Glad you like them. I took a few shots of your most recent one (cocobola, Griffin handle) as well. Terrific overall look. Good luck with it!
Best, Capt. Chris

Griffin handle? I thought it was a SFG handle.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/30/10 09:57 PM

It is known as a "SFG" nowadyas but for years was known as a "Griffin Handle". Dave Griffin, Randall's shop foreman, designed the "Drop point hunter" with this handle shape. Us "old-schollers" still call it a Griffin from time to time.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/30/10 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: tomthbomb
Quote:
Tom,
Best, Capt. Chris

Cap, if you could dig one outta the safe a snap a photo I would appreciate it!

Still waiting to see one of those Cap (when you get back from blade).

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/12/10 02:41 PM

This Stanaback Special Limited just in, number 107 with the extremely rare left hand oxblood sheath with round hone.
Another example of the exceptional craftsmanship coming from the shop.
Peter

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/12/10 02:54 PM

Nice one Peter!
Welcome to The Club!
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/12/10 05:05 PM

Absolutely, Tony:
Peter's now in the "club". Uh? What "club" is that anyway? Oh...I know: The "Limited Club"! Nice knife Peter. Thanks.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/12/10 05:26 PM

That's a great looking knife Peter. I like the color of that sheath.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 11/09/10 09:23 PM

I'm real happy to add my latest 'Stanaback Special' to the Knife of the week thread. Every collection need's at least one of the Captain's dealer special's. smile

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 11/09/10 10:22 PM

Rex,
When you get a chance...give me an email
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Daniele

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/28/11 08:26 AM

After a long wait (the wait is always long, like all of you Randall-nuts know so well), my first Stanaback Special, ltd II has finally arrived!
I can't wait to take him in the woods ....

Interesting enough, it has the s/n # 156, the same number of Police Academy course that I attended ....
Best,

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/28/11 08:32 AM

Ahh!
A lucky knife!
Enjoy!
Ciao,
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/28/11 08:39 AM

Glad you like it. Did you dig your "COA" out of the nox?
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Daniele

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/28/11 08:58 AM

Tony, thank you so much!
Capt. Chris, I managed to dig it up, even though it was hard work (great package)...it is now safe at home, while the knife is ready for the next hike... Really, cannot wait to test it on the field.
Thanks a lot.
Best,

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/28/11 11:24 AM

Very nice. You and that knife were meant to be. Enjoy.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 06/30/11 07:05 PM

...adding my Stanaback Special to the 'knife of the week thread'. grin

Posted by: Rick Magee

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 06/30/11 08:12 PM

Nice one! What's that handle material?

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/01/11 12:23 AM

Rick...the handle material is Lignum Vitae.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/01/11 08:40 AM

Rex,
Nice tough old piece of wood on the handle of your "Stan" ... grin
... kind of like the fine dealer it was named after! laugh
wink

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/01/11 08:52 AM

Great looking knife.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/01/11 09:30 AM

Glad you received it AOK Rex. Thanks for your order. For the rest of you: This is one of my 25th anniversary knives (of my 4 inch version). They should have come out in 2010 but I didn't have enough order slots...or custom wood. Rex's sports the "teardrop" shape in lignum vitae. It is also available in finger grips. Both have the "25th" medallion in the butt. 4 seperate types of wood are available and a total of 100 will be made.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/01/11 12:44 PM

Thanks guy's for the comment's...I failed to mention this SSP is Captain Chris' 25th Anniversary knife..limited to 100 units.
A special 'thank you' is in order for Captain Chris for all he has done for the RKS..and the Randall Knife community in general. smile

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/30/11 06:43 PM

Just adding a couple of recent Stanaback Special's to the thread.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/30/11 08:23 PM

Rex
Nice Stanaback Specials, I hope to have my new one some time next week. Capt. Chris was going to pick it up last week from the shop.

Peter

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/30/11 09:08 PM

It's here Peter...and it's perfect. Mailing on Monday.
Thanks, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Litch

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/31/11 09:41 AM

Peter,
please post a picture of it - I'm looking forward to seeing it!
What handle material did you choose?? laugh

Best, Peter

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/31/11 08:11 PM

Peter
I will certainly post photos soon after I receive it. It may surprise folks but the handle is "ironwood" smile. I already have a stag and leather Stanaback specials, and needed to have one in ironwood.

Peter

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/05/11 12:53 PM

My ironwood Stanaback special is here and features, brass and black spacers, brass hilt, ironwood personally selected by me, brass butt cap, wrist thong, left-hand finger grips, brass nameplate on the trademark side, and black, left-hand no hone sheath.
It is a spectacular looking knife and want to thank Capt. Chris and the guys in the shop for their usually terrific work.

Peter

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/05/11 01:06 PM

Peter...
That's one of the nicest 'Stanaback Special's' I've ever saw !

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/05/11 01:11 PM

WOW!!!!!!
That's the CLASSIEST Stanaback I've ever seen! A real beauty.
... Peter ... are you going use it??
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/05/11 01:40 PM

Peter,

That is a fantastic knive. One of the best I have ever seen and the ironwood is out of this world.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/05/11 01:42 PM

Peter,
..................Told ya'!.............
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/05/11 01:54 PM

Congrats Peter! This is very beautiful indeed - oh yes, ironwood is a great handle material!
But you already know laugh

Enjoy it!

Best, Peter

P.S.: I'm as interested to know as Tony is: Are you going to use it???
Posted by: Rick_Bowles

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/05/11 02:07 PM

Peter,
Gorgeous "Stanie"! Is that CW Ironwood or are you that lucky?!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/05/11 02:13 PM

Thanks guys
I don't think I will use the knife as I have some that I use already, but you never know.
I am lucky, but the ironwood for this knife came from a block that I purchased last year specifically for this knife. I now wish I had purchased more while I could see the blocks in peron.

Peter

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/05/11 03:38 PM

"I am lucky, but the ironwood for this knife came from a block that I purchased last year specifically for this knife. I now wish I had purchased more while I could see the blocks in peron."

Peter:
I remember searching all over for this piece. I purchased 4 of them all together. They were all cut from the same piece. The price range was from $45-$90 each. Yours was smack dap in the middle (price-wise) as it was a medium sized piece. The larger blocks were a tad more, but "all" were exceptional.
To everyone else: Just one more reason to attend the "Blade" show...and get there early!
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Robert Frey

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/05/11 03:40 PM

Beautiful knife!

Why is nothing engraved on the Nameplate? Is it a separate option?

I assumed it would be part of the Nameplate option for an extra fee. I have plans to use that feature in the future and am wondering what I would be getting into.
Posted by: Sidney_Redford

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/05/11 03:41 PM

Peter you did good on the Ironwood. You are right though, you should have bought more as much as you like it. That is some of the best I have seen in a long time. I also understand that it may become more difficult to obtain sooner that we would like to think. I believe I would just put that one up.
Posted by: Rick_Bowles

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/05/11 03:58 PM

Rob,
The nameplate is an expensive option but more than just initials can be put on that plate!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/05/11 04:26 PM

Rob
By default, nothing is on the nameplate. I believe the shop can engrave your initials, but leaving it blank for now gives me more options as Rick has shown with his photo of a great engraved knife
According to the 2011 price list, nameplate is $55.00 and engraving up to 5 letters at $2.00 per letter.
One thing about the left hand finger grips allows you to have the nameplate on the trademark side of the knife. If you would have right hand finger grips, the nameplate would have to be on the back side of the knife.

Peter

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/05/11 05:57 PM

Got it.

The plan I had in mind was for my initials to be engraved in the nameplate by Randall, and then I want to have the rest of the knife engraved in a similar pattern to the above one. Now, I think that I will have the initials engraved in a style that fits with the same pattern as the rest of the knife by the same guy.

Thanks guys, the learning never ends here.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/05/11 06:14 PM

Just adding my voice to the chorus. That's a super nice knife!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/05/11 06:19 PM

SUPERSPECTACULAR....KNIFE ! wink
Never seen one like....
Bravo!
G

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/04/11 10:58 AM

In keeping with a form of drug "fix" for my buddy, Peter...here's one. 4 inch Stanaback Special, "25th" anniversary in...You guessed it!
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: HALORANGER

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/04/11 11:02 AM

Very nice Capt. I need to get with ya about a new project.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/04/11 11:12 AM

Give me a call, dude!
Thanks, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/04/11 12:12 PM

What can ya say, but ...
NICE!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/04/11 12:22 PM

Very nice Capt. Chris
But the finger grips are on the wrong side smile
It is hard to go wrong with ironwood smile

Peter

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/04/11 12:23 PM

Wow Capt.! Now that really blows my mind...
Perfection cool

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/04/11 02:16 PM

Beautiful knife Cap.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/13/11 09:40 AM

Not a whole bunch of these with double hilts. Enjoy!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/13/11 09:43 AM

That's a great looking knife that looks like it's ready to go to work.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/13/11 04:33 PM

Looks good with a double hilt!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/13/11 07:07 PM

Very nice Captain. I like the double hilt a lot.
Posted by: Jim459

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/13/11 11:43 PM

Here is another 25th Aniversary model with a redwood burl handle. I love these types of wooden handles. I guess it is because I was in construction for 40+ years and appreciate fine wood.

- Jim
Posted by: ChadHelpling

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 10/16/11 03:25 PM

Here's my 25th Special with Lignum Vitae handle. Love the grain in this wood.
Posted by: kalervo

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 10/16/11 03:38 PM

Very nice knives. :-)

You cant find harder and more dense wood than lignum vitae. I have some of it home so I know for sure :-)

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 10/16/11 03:47 PM

That Lignum Vitae looks great!
Posted by: Billy Poyner

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 10/16/11 10:18 PM

Cap your 25th looks great!!! Using a SWAG how many Randalls
do you think you have sold in the last 38 years? Since 99%
of mine came from you,I'm sure the other RKO's know also.You've
always put some great combo's together.

Billy Poyner
RKS#5030

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/22/12 01:23 AM

....starting the year off with a Stanaback Special... smile

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/22/12 07:57 AM

Great looking knife.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/22/12 04:23 PM

A BEAUTY!!!!!
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/22/12 05:07 PM

Rex, that combination is awesome. Fantastic stag also.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/23/12 07:23 AM

Nice one!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/23/12 12:11 PM

Thanks..guy's...the 'Captain's' design and the shop's talented crew...turned out a great knife. smile

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/14/12 12:21 AM

... this Stanaback Special is optioned out with a N/S Double hilt...Aluminum/Red spacer's...Commando shaped handle of what look's to be cocobolo .radiused butt cap & wrist thong.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/14/12 05:50 AM

Rex, very cool little fighter you have there. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/14/12 07:55 PM

That is a cool fighter !!!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/15/12 10:57 AM

Rex, this is a super knife - congrats!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/15/12 11:02 AM

Very very nice. The cocobolo is beautiful.
How long is the blade exactly?

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/15/12 11:49 AM

Guy's...thanks for the comment's....Kimmo the blade is 4 5/8" long and made from 1/4" stock.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/15/12 01:48 PM

Okey, Thank's :-)

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/06/12 01:23 PM

Here is a very nice small Stanaback Special that I enjoyed for a while ...
Cute little Bowie!
Now a friend in Switzerland takes care for it smile

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/06/12 01:54 PM

NICE!!!!!!!!!!
The maroon micarta in the border patrol shape with butt cap is outstanding on that Stanaback!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/06/12 03:42 PM

Pretty nice little tool Peter...

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/15/12 03:54 PM

Here is another super nice Stanaback Special smile
Posted by: Doug74

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/15/12 05:36 PM

That's some top-shelf stag Peter....nice setup.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/15/12 07:12 PM

Peter,

That is beautiful stag on that Stanaback Special. Great lookinmg knife.
Posted by: Steven

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/15/12 08:19 PM

Great stag!
Posted by: Chuck_Nan

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/16/12 12:31 AM

Steven - how are you feeling? Enjoying American Guns? - have know Rich for years - I suspect you know him as well. Read an article today where the fellow that bought in the old 1851 and the repo Walker got popped - seems it "1851" just had been stolen out of a musuem! Makes for good tv.

I am with you the stag on Captain's knife is awesome!!
Posted by: Neale_Jenkinson

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/16/12 02:17 AM

That is the nicest SS I think I have ever seen,superb.We get American Guns over here in the UK,great show.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/16/12 09:56 AM

Chuck
I have been feeling really good. Been able to get out and about some. I saw that about the stolen revolver. Took it from a museum in New Mexico. Glad they caught him.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/19/12 04:45 PM

Here is another nice Stanaback Special - I like them a lot smile

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/20/12 09:00 AM

Peter,
That's a great looking Stanaback.
I really like the slab sides on the stag!
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/20/12 09:29 PM

Peter...
That is a great looking Stanaback Special..if you ever decide it need's a new home...keep me in mind. grin
Posted by: Jay G

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/20/12 10:24 PM

Great knife Peter! Thanks for the photo.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/21/12 07:14 AM

Great looking knife Peter.
Posted by: Skeetdoc

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/22/12 02:06 PM

Posterity Post:

Nickel with Maple Burl

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/22/12 02:07 PM

Posterity Post:

Brass with Boxelder:
Posted by: Buck Buchanan

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/22/12 04:22 PM

Doc,

Stop, stop! I can't take it anymore.

You're killing me with your selection of the natural beauty of wood, especially the Boxelder. grin

WOW!!!!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/22/12 04:54 PM

WOW Doc. Fantastic knives. That wood is beautiful.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/23/12 08:41 AM

Gentlemen:

Captain picked and provided the wood. He did a FABULOUS job!

Doug

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/23/12 08:49 AM

GEEZ ... NICE STUFF!!!!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/23/12 10:37 AM

That's a killer pair! Outrageous handles...

Have a good day,

Jay

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 08/23/12 04:03 PM

Beautiful pair with box elder! But I like the idea of the SFG on a Stanaback too. Especially with good looking wood like this smile

Its a Stanaback Party! - 08/25/12 02:15 PM

Half a dozen.

Re: Its a Stanaback Party! - 08/25/12 02:56 PM

VERY nice collection of Stanabacks Doug!!!

Re: Its a Stanaback Party! - 08/25/12 03:03 PM

Thanks Tony.

Have a couple more coming.

Doug

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/25/12 10:00 PM

Just adding my latest 'Stanaback Special' to the knife of the week thread. This one has the
new 'Bone Ivory' linen micarta from the Captain.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/25/12 10:36 PM

Wonderful knife with great options Rex! I really like the look of the red spacers with the bone linen...

Have a good week guys,

Jay

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/26/12 01:35 AM

Very nice knives, Doug and Rex!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/26/12 08:20 AM

Rex,
A very handsome Stanaback!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/26/12 08:28 AM

Love it!!!!

Doug

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/26/12 08:37 AM

Very nice looking knife.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/26/12 08:51 AM

Nice Stanaback Rex
I have one coming in the next month, which will match my smaller one

Peter

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/26/12 11:29 AM

Thanks Guy's for the comment's....I only wish I had better skill's at taking photo's..that the rest of you have. blush

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 10/19/12 04:45 PM

I just received this 4-5/8" special yesterday from the good Captain. It is pretty tricked out with customer supplied ironwood, brass and black spacers, left-hand finger grips, brass butt, wrist thong and name plate.
It completes a set that includes the 4" model and a Don Hedrick mini. The shop did a superb job as usual.

Peter

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 10/19/12 05:29 PM

What a Beauty!!!!
And a great set!
Posted by: LarryWW1246

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 10/19/12 05:32 PM

Peter--

Great little knife! How long did you have to wait for it?

These little blades have great appeal for a general carry knife.

Larry

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 10/19/12 06:10 PM

Peter...you did a great job selecting the option's, it look's great !
Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 10/19/12 06:55 PM

Beautiful set, Peter. Don Hedrick does pretty dang good work himself!!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 10/19/12 07:18 PM

Great knife Peter and a beautiful set.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 10/19/12 07:39 PM

Awesome set!!!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 10/19/12 08:07 PM

Thanks guys
I guess no one was surprised about the ironwood smile
Larry, I can't remember for sure, but I believe the Don Hedrick mini was less than 6 months wait.
Both Don and the shop do amazing work.

Peter

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 10/19/12 08:45 PM

Good goin' Peter. Now...What's our "next" project gonna' be?
Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 10/19/12 11:12 PM

Congrats Peter !
What a SuperTrio !

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 10/20/12 06:17 AM

Very nice Peter.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 10/20/12 08:12 AM

Great looking set Peter! Nice photos as well. I have a 4" on order that I'm looking forward too...

Have a great weekend guys,

Jay

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 10/20/12 10:08 AM

Super nice set of ironwood beauties. I have a Stanaback Special on order as well. Looking forward to receiving it. Don does an unreal job on his mini's!!

Pap

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 10/21/12 10:27 AM

Man I love that Ironwood.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 10/21/12 05:41 PM

them are pretty! Peter do you like ironwood? smile
Posted by: CrazyCajun

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 11/01/12 06:39 PM

Since I've been ordering w/the Captain in my short Randall Life... It's hard not to have a few of his Stanaback Specials! This is my most recent delivery from him. A nice slab stag. Way out of my league.
Please pardon my Rookie pictures... they Will improve!!

Steve D.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 11/01/12 07:34 PM

Not a thing wrong with that pic, rookie!! That's my favorite configuration for the cap's special. I have one like it!!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 11/01/12 09:20 PM

Thanks Pat, I'm still in the prehistoric, bayou life, hand held/no light system... Also not sure why that pic opened... there is a second pic as well showing the top bark. Also have a Ironwood 25th anniversary. One of the first one's I ordered!
Posted by: TienD

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/11/13 08:11 PM

I have not posted in a while ... It has been a long wait for the Spring Break smile ... This Stanaback is Special with lignum vitae handle (I was told ... But it appears real LV stuff to me smile ).

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/11/13 08:29 PM

That is a very nice SS from the Captain!! I love this blade & handle shape and use it as on of my 2 main carry's!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/12/13 09:16 AM

WOW!
That's a really classy lookin' Stanaback.
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/12/13 11:14 AM

I remember this order. I wish I had paid more attention to the lignum vitae...that order could have been "delayed"!
Nice knife, and thanks for your order.
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: NoLimits

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/12/13 11:23 AM

What a beauty!!
Posted by: TienD

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/14/13 12:28 PM

Thanks Capt. and Everyone!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/20/13 06:44 PM

Well:
Tom The Bomb may see this and appreciate it a whole lot more than other folks. Tom, as many of you veterans will remember, was the King of Micarta. He ain't got this one! Enjoy all! Hope you like it.
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: I call in Dark Jade (or Jaden) canvas micarta...and wish I had a boatload of it!...CCS

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/20/13 06:59 PM

HEY!
...I'm Dark Jade with envy.
grin

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/20/13 07:20 PM

Ha, well said Tony (Si)! I totally agree, that's a gem Captain!
Posted by: Billy Poyner

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/20/13 07:49 PM

Tony,
Since ther is only one don't it remind you of the Fats Domino song

AIN"T THAT A SHAME!!!!!

Billy Poyner
RKCC CM 021
MM
SO MOTE IT BE

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/20/13 07:56 PM

Sing it Dude!! Just like my favorite
"Do ya know what it means... to miss New Orleans!!"

I'm missing that knife!!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/20/13 10:05 PM

Ain't that a shame
My tears fell like rain

grin

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/21/13 04:05 AM

Extremely nice, Capt. Chris - I love it smile

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/21/13 06:53 AM

That's a beauty Cap.
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/21/13 09:51 AM

With that knife, and a bowl of corn flakes, what more could a guy ask for grin

That handle material is definitely very different.. Pretty cool cool
Posted by: oldguy

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/21/13 10:41 AM

I have a question for you guys that have a Stanaback Special, I have a 4" and a 4 5/8" myself, and they look nice. But, other than just looking at them in your collections, as any one actually turned one into a user? Oldguy

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/21/13 01:41 PM

I have "2" users, one of each blade length. It'll sound self-serving if I brag on 'em so I'll just simply say that they can't be beat, in my opinion. Every time the subject comes up, regarding "What's the best knife for so & so" I make many suggestions, usually not to include my specials.
I think I recommended my special recently to Alan G., with reference to a tough, 1/4" stock, stainless number to canoe with...etc. To each his own, but I like my special as a user...It's just a little "pricey".
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/21/13 09:56 PM

User! 4" SS/slab stag w/14 style finger grips/wrist thong. Black basket weave sheath! Yes, it's a little pricey... but at this point in life I ain't smokin Hava-Tampa's either!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/03/13 12:13 AM

...jut adding these two Stanaback Special's to the knife of the week thred.
Posted by: Ortega BVT

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/03/13 03:28 PM

Really a nice hunting couple!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/10/13 09:10 PM

Hey team,

Received a Stanaback Special direct from the Captain this evening... I'm a happy customer! Dark stag, slab-sides, finger grips, w/brass & red spacers. Here are a few pics of the new addition... Have a great week!

Jay

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/10/13 09:21 PM

Thanks for the email Jay...and the order. Glad you like it!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/11/13 05:55 AM

Great knife, Jay - congrats! There is something special about these slab-sided handles...
I love it smile

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/11/13 08:37 AM

I use mine as personal carry. Works great.... looks ... well... Awesome!!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/11/13 08:39 AM

Sweet!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/11/13 09:21 AM

I love the slab sided stag with FGs.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/11/13 10:02 AM

Yes, a pretty nice knife. They feel and work nice in the hand.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/11/13 10:03 AM

Yes, a pretty nice knife. They feel and work nice in the hand. Neil Young likes Randall?
Posted by: roderickr

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/11/13 03:18 PM

Beautiful and practical, really special. Congratulations on the new acquisition.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/28/13 10:08 AM

Here is a new acquisition that has become a favorite very fast:

I really like the options: BPH, nickel silver, canvas micarta, compass, thong hole, thumb notches

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/28/13 10:26 AM

Nice knife Peter. I am buildong several of my
Specials" with some old...quite old...canvas I have had laying around for a couple of decades! It's hard to beat. Good luck with that one.
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: Please excuse the preservative, still on the blade from the Randall shop...(Talk about "new-old-stock"!)...CCS
Posted by: Doug74

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/28/13 07:53 PM

Canvas looks great. I can't wait to see a Stanaback Special in ivory!

Hint, hint.....wink, wink.....

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/28/13 08:08 PM

Quote:
Well:
Tom The Bomb may see this and appreciate it a whole lot more than other folks. Tom, as many of you veterans will remember, was the King of Micarta. He ain't got this one!

WAS!?!

I may have more micarta than Westinghouse........... wink

I think I have a piece of that micarta that I picked up in Tulsa in 2008. It's at the tomthbomb cave and teleport. I am at another location right now so can't check (teleport shut down for maintenance).

I kind of hope it's not the same cause I paid $3.50 for the block.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/29/13 04:41 AM

A brilliant knife, Capt. Chris! Very tempting...

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 09/30/13 06:24 AM

SUPER HANDLE'STUFF Capt.
Put me in that list..PLEASE !!!
G

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 12/24/13 06:08 AM

Here is CMI 006 - I am a big fan smile
Thanks Capt. Chris!

Posted by: Ortega BVT

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/04/14 08:48 AM

Here is another Stanaback Special with bone linen micarta... this is a great user! Thank you Capt. Chris smile

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/31/17 10:59 AM

4" Stanaback Special with AGM and brass.
Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/31/17 11:12 AM

Sweet Buttery Jesuzzzzzzzzzzzz Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: rodbrown

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/31/17 12:01 PM

Great knife. I would go on about, what I think a one of the best RMK knives for outdoor use, but don't want the "Dealer Special" person getting a big head!!
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/31/17 12:22 PM

LOL Rod, I double dog dare ya grin

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/31/17 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: rodbrown
but don't want the "Dealer Special" person getting a big head!!

Thank-You James..

Do you really think that could be a possibility Rod ? grin

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/31/17 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Michael_Mason
but don't want the "Dealer Special" person getting a big head!!

Thank-You James..

Do you really think that could be a possibility Rod ? grin

Mike
He is such a shy, unassuming individual, probably not.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/31/17 07:39 PM

Humble.... charming..... sensitive.....

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/31/17 07:57 PM

don't want the "Dealer Special" person getting a big head!!

Why not he could use a little help achieving symmetry. grin

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/31/17 08:01 PM

Flag!!! 15 yards!!! Illegal us of humor!!!
Posted by: Attila Mezzini

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 06/19/18 09:38 AM

Here's mine ( lookin' at previous pictures and seeing the grooves in the bark, this is exactly the same knife pictured in Captain's pics on page 6 and 7 of this thread).
beautifully scrimmed by Francesco Salvadori.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 06/19/18 10:34 AM

STUNNNNNNNNNNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: GCTom41

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 06/19/18 11:21 AM

Attila,

Awesome scrim!

Tom Flynn

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 06/19/18 11:36 AM

Attila

That is a superb scrim and a great knife as well.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 06/19/18 11:47 AM

Nice job! Good to see these knives, through different metamorphosis! Artistry is first rate!
Congratulations, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 06/19/18 01:11 PM

BELLISSIMO!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 06/19/18 05:28 PM

Very nice Attila,Great scrim work.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 06/19/18 05:55 PM

About as good as it gets. Thanks for sharing Attila.
Posted by: spark42

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 06/19/18 10:30 PM

WOW!!
Nine years to come back to the forum. And it came back with a great tattoo!
Thanks for sharing Attile

Dennis

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/12/18 08:40 PM

One of my best Gets at Blade!
Thanks Captain for making this one happen!
It's with Guido in Italy getting Scrimmed & engraved!
It's Attila's fault! grin

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/12/18 09:42 PM

WOW!
Super Cool!

Tony
Posted by: Sphinx3000

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/13/18 06:27 AM

That is a beautiful knife! Can't wait to see it finished.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/13/18 08:32 AM

That slab sided stag with a butt plate is my favorite Stanaback Spl. configuration.
Posted by: Attila Mezzini

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/14/18 07:08 AM

Yeah, my fault.. smile
one more in the total count isn't a big issue!! lol
Chief, be very careful, Francesco's work is really addicting!! wink
I've already gave him a second knife ( an AGM handled mod 1-8")..
CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/14/18 03:45 PM

Yeah I wish I could send him Ivory!
Posted by: GHD

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 11/24/18 05:17 PM

Just picked this one up, was advertised as an 8-4 bird and trout, but I had my suspicions about that, there was no picture of the back of the sheath to see the stamp. I took a chance and bought it, received it today and low and behold it's as I thought, a Stanaback special, of the 4" variety, That's about all I know about it, I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 11/24/18 05:32 PM

Wow, nice get. Good call.

Pap

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 11/24/18 06:51 PM

Think you have Santa's elves watching these listings for you George up at North Pole, AK. Great find.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 11/24/18 06:57 PM

Thanks Pap

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 11/24/18 06:59 PM

I'll take any help I can get, even elves.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 11/24/18 07:17 PM

Nice one GHD!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 11/24/18 07:30 PM

Thanks Rob.
Posted by: ROBERT MCINTOSH

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 12/06/18 02:56 AM

Ok. What does CMI mean
I just got #66. A little beauty
Robert

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 12/06/18 01:27 PM

CMI..???

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 12/06/18 01:28 PM

Likely
Charter Member International

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 12/21/18 07:10 AM

Originally Posted By: GHD
Just picked this one up, was advertised as an 8-4 bird and trout, but I had my suspicions about that, there was no picture of the back of the sheath to see the stamp. I took a chance and bought it, received it today and low and behold it's as I thought, a Stanaback special, of the 4" variety, That's about all I know about it, I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.

Nice find GHD, congrats! With the teardrop handle and the compass this would be perfect for trecking and mountaineering. I like it a lot!
Posted by: Art DeCamp

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 12/25/18 03:40 PM

All the way from North Pole, AK to me for Christmas!
Thanks "GHD".

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 12/25/18 05:26 PM

Well done!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 12/25/18 06:48 PM

Nice get for Christmas Art.
Posted by: Holzinger258

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 12/26/18 12:24 AM

BEAUTIFUL!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/02/19 05:53 AM

This one is #66. Found in Australia but the previous owner got it from the US

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/02/19 07:55 AM

Wondering if that one came from Graham "Ausblade"?
Posted by: Tattoo Bill

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/02/19 10:38 AM

Originally Posted By: ROBERT MCINTOSH
This one is #66. Found in Australia but the previous owner got it from the US

He bought it from me! lol
Posted by: Sphinx3000

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/02/19 11:05 AM

Small world, Robert was very lucky to get that beautiful 12-9 #14 grind with the presentation grade Buffalo Horn Handle from you.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/02/19 02:56 PM

No it did not but he is great to deal with as well
This came from Craig
Posted by: Tattoo Bill

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/02/19 04:54 PM

This came from Craig

I sold it to Craig, along with the 12-9 with fingergrips.
(and many others)

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/02/19 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Tattoo Bill
This came from Craig

I sold it to Craig, along with the 12-9
with fingergrips.
(and many others)

Well that explains where you got the 12-9 from, cause I sold it to him (nameless).

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/20/19 04:58 AM

Got this one from Tattoo Bill on the weekend

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/04/20 06:56 PM

Picked this knife up from the Captain at Blade last year & had Jim Adams scrim these 2 scenes.
Posted by: REK

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/04/20 07:13 PM

Awesome, Chief.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/04/20 07:25 PM

Really nice piece there! That scrim work really takes it up a few notches!!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/04/20 07:46 PM

Thank You.
Posted by: coachblalock

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/04/20 07:56 PM

Awesome piece!!!!
Posted by: Kirko

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/04/20 08:55 PM

Clever !
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/04/20 09:04 PM

That's an interesting combination of curved stag and slabside.

Of course, the scrim work pushes it over the top.

Very nice.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/04/20 10:27 PM

Thanks
Posted by: nate-dogg

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/04/20 10:42 PM

I seen that a few days ago when he posted pictures of it on his Instagram. Very cool!
Posted by: Shoot870p

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/05/20 04:46 AM

Very nice Chief.
Walker

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/05/20 09:45 AM

Chief,

Great looking Scrim; awesome knife!

Tom Flynn

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/05/20 11:52 AM

Chief,
NICE!! As we spoke, can't wait to see the "next" set!...to be continued...
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/05/20 09:48 PM

Yep Captain those I really am looking forward to as well!
Posted by: alan_grombacher

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/05/20 09:53 PM

Holy Cow Chief! That is one sweet knife.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 03/05/20 10:28 PM

Thanks

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/25/21 01:12 PM

There's fixin' to be a new "addition"...to be continued...
Stay Sharp, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/25/21 02:12 PM

Ok everyone,
I'm getting ready to post this bad boy to my website. I just thought ya'll might enjoy a look at some, By God, "NATURAL" buckeye burl, installed masterfully by the gang @ RMK! No dyes of any type just the natural tan, brown and grey wood coloring is shown. Hope you like it.
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: alan_grombacher

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/25/21 08:55 PM

Hey Captain,

That is one sweet Stanaback.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/25/21 08:56 PM

Being from Michigan, Buckeye is a hard sell. Beautiful knife!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/25/21 09:50 PM

Darn awesome!!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/25/21 11:27 PM

Yep, a real beauty, Cap!!

Pap

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/26/21 12:45 PM

I like the handle. Here is the last Stanaback Special I have with a COA.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/26/21 02:04 PM

Sidney,

That 4" is one of my favorite Stanaback Specils!

Couple of Specials, SSP LTD 1, along with Long Life "Cracker" and 25th Anniversary.

Tom Flynn

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 01/26/21 02:37 PM

Tom those are some great looking knives.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/30/21 10:18 AM

Been cleaning up some of The Captain's "STASH" and have to share this one with ya'. When Duke & I first staring screwing around with Musk Ox we had to learn (in my case: The HARD WAY) about how to treat, cut, stabilize, etc. these horns. I was at the AGCA show in Birmingham (at the time) and it was winter time. I came in on Saturday morning to uncover my tables and find a splendid Model #11-4 1/2"...in Musk Ox, drawn up from both ends, to the point that you could see the tang of the knife, open at both ends! The club had turned off the heat overnight and the cold temperature drew that handle up like a prune!
Hard lesson learned, I can tell you, but it forced me to make other decisions, regarding Musk Ox. Nowadays, I practice a lot of patience before sending a piece into the Randall shop for handling. This example below is the most extreme variation of that practice.
In my opinion, the finest example of Musk Ox on a knife handle...certainly that I have ever seen. I waited 10 years before sending it in!
Hope you like it...
Stay Sharp, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/30/21 10:20 AM

PS: A big "shout-out" to Greg for (at the time) making me these special Stanaback Special sheaths in dark tan basket!
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/30/21 11:27 AM

with ya on that Capt!!
This is my 4" #2 with Doug's silver...my stomach constricted almost to the point of vomit when I noticed a slight "gap" in the spacer...it's remained the same since then...the thickness of a business card....I still get sick looking at it....I've got another piece(speaking of 10 years), and I believe it's probably o.k. now....maybe...

:-)Rocky
Posted by: tunefink

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/30/21 11:43 AM

Rocky, I learned a trick from Duke McCaa. He has a guy that can fix cracks in natural material better than anyone I have seen.

He fills the gap with pigmented epoxy, in this case black, which makes the last spacer look thicker, but fills the gap. I have done a couple and it's a big improvement over the gap.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 05/30/21 06:32 PM

DEFINITELY wish Brown Basketweave was always available on SSP's!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 06/01/21 06:38 PM

Hey Captain I'll take the Ox Special of yours, thanks I appreciate ya!
Posted by: spark42

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 10/29/21 09:25 PM

Look what I found on the Capt. table in Hoover.
Spalted Maple finger groove handle, Nic/Silver hardware

Dennis

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 10/30/21 08:25 AM

Woa!!!! That's a pair of Show Stoppers!!!

Good Snag!!!!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 10/30/21 09:46 AM

Great knives, Good get!

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 10/30/21 10:17 AM

GREAT get Dennis, that was an awesome pair right there smile

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 10/30/21 11:02 AM

Spectacular, congratulations.

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/17/22 03:16 PM

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!
FYI: Just posted to my website and it's pretty friggin' cool! Hope you like it.
Stay Sharp, Capt. Chris
Posted by: coachblalock

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/17/22 07:06 PM

NICE! Capt.
Posted by: Uncle Mike

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 04/17/22 09:12 PM

Hi, sorry I missed that, regards, Mike frown
Posted by: martentrapper

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/07/22 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Chief
Hey Captain I'll take the Ox Special of yours, thanks I appreciate ya!

Hey Chief.............I'd sure be interested to hear where all that horn I sold to you, Duke, and Jim Berhing ended up? I mean knife wise. Mark Knapp got me started. He got 5 or so sets of horn before you or Jim found me. I'm thinking I sold around 30 sets of horns before it came to an end. I left Nome in 2012, but might still be a set or 2 of horns to buy each year. Duke has the guys name who gets it now.
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 07/07/22 03:12 AM

I know I've got 1 piece left....maybe another, somewhere...bought um from Mark off the Bay....no plans for it right now....wasn't real happy with the first one the shop did for me(model #2-4") at that time, they apparently, were not completely "aged"

:-)Rocky

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 06/17/23 12:56 PM

IYKYK
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Knife of the Week Stanaback Special!!!!!!! - 06/17/23 09:49 PM

Hah.

"Let Tom Drink."