Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!!

Posted by: JesseEgnew

Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 06/29/08 01:11 AM

This is how the letter reads from Tom Clinton on the beginning of his dealer special.
Sometime in 1989 I visited the Randall shop in Orlando.
During my visit with Gary Randall he mentioned I might want to consider a “Dealer Special” with Pete Hamilton’s help he showed me all the current dealer specials. After looking at all of them I thought of the 70’s full tang drop point hunters would be a great “Special” we discussed it with Gary and was advised they weren’t making them anymore. Back to the drawing board…… Next choice was a unique double edge fighter. In the museum there was a knife called the “Moon Knife” witch I liked. Gary agreed and we started planning. It was determined that it would be stainless steel. Seven inches long, trademark parallel with the hilt. Forward curved hilt only, nickel silver only.
The standard “T-C” special has aluminum and black spacers, black micarta commando shape, duralumin coolie cap, and a black model “A” sheath.

Ladies and Gentlemen: could we please see some Clinton specials!!!
Posted by: tomthbomb

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 06/29/08 09:44 AM

Jesse, here is my one T.C.S.

Posted by: Hagsjr

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 06/29/08 11:12 AM

T.C. Special w/fossil walrus ivory.

Jerry

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 06/29/08 11:15 AM

T.C. Special w/rosewood.

Jerry

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 06/29/08 11:20 AM

T.C. Special w/Burma burl.

Jerry

Posted by: Chief

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 06/29/08 02:52 PM

Ironwood & Pure Silver.

See Ya, Chief
Posted by: New2Randalls

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 06/29/08 08:52 PM

I believe the wood on this one is amboyna.

Dan Snyder RKS #5537
Posted by: silverknife

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 06/29/08 10:33 PM

Clinton Special with fossil walrus handle, .999% pure fine silver furniture from Precious Metals Fabrication Co. and croc sheath by Greg Gutcher, Sullivan's Holster Shop:

Images © 2008 All Rights Reserved

Regards,
Doug
Posted by: Rick_Bowles

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 06/30/08 07:49 AM

Howdy Dan,
The handle on your TCS isn't Amboyna. I'm not sure what it is but Tom or Gary Clinton should know. Here is what Amboyna looks like.
Posted by: 7033grip

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 06/30/08 09:28 PM

"I believe the wood on this one is amboyna"

Dan, I'm pretty sure your handle is Bocote.
Environmental Profile
This species is officially classified as either Extinct, Endangered, Rare, or Vulnerable within its natural habitat in Costa Rica. Inadequate information makes it difficult to assign it to one specific conservation category (Source - World Conservation Monitoring Center - 1992).

The species is reported to be either very rare (21 to 100 occurrences) and local throughout its range, or it is found locally, even abundantly at some of its locations. The species may also be vulnerable to extinction throughout its range because of other existing but unknown factors (Source - The Nature Conservancy - Rank of relative endangerment based mainly on the number of occurrences of the species worldwide).

Distribution
The species is reported to be distributed from Mexico to Costa Rica, and is also found in Colombia, Florida, and the West Indies. (Zamora, 1989). It is reported to grow up to elevations of about 1600 feet (500 m) in the tropical dry areas of Mexico with average annual precipitation of about 40 inches (1000 mm

Dubie Baxter
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 06/30/08 10:21 PM

With the one angle it almost looks like a laminated wood (pakka-wood) or the like. Interesting. Either way, it certainly does not look like a material Tom has used often on his special. I always thought Tom's special looks like a cross between a stilletto and a Roman short sword.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 06/30/08 11:46 PM

Dubie, thanks for the info. The seller couldn't remember what it was either. All I know is that I really liked the look of it and had to have it. It looks even better in person.
Dan Snyder RKS #5537
Posted by: Sheldon_Wickersham

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/01/08 10:40 AM

Dubie/Dan, we ordered six drop-point hunters from custom maker Dan Stucky of Oregon - FWIW, this particular knife is handled in Bocate Wood...

No Clinton Special's left in our collection, but I do have a funny TC story. When our order from Tom came in a few years back, it was followed by the arrival of its twin two days later - so I called Tom to thank him for the 'twofer'...there was a pause on the other end of the line, followed by "So, that's where that one went..."

We of course sent it back, but it was kinda cool to have two at once...if even for just a day

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/01/08 10:43 AM

Nice knife Shel !!! Bocote is great wood, and it's going to be hard to find in the future, just like most exotic hardwoods will be. I'm stocking up.

Dubie

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/01/08 11:27 AM

Well, if it is Bocate Wood, then I guess I was lucky and have a unique TC Special in my collection. Shel, if you come out for the BAKC show in October again I'll have to bring it with me so you can take a look at it. Thanks guys.
Dan Snyder RKS #5537

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/01/08 12:29 PM

The mystery is now solved. I received an message from the person I bought this from and he tells me the wood is dealer supplied Cocobola.
Dan Snyder RKS #5537
Posted by: BOB_TEATES

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/01/08 12:56 PM

I think this is bocote also.Bob

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/01/08 12:58 PM

Quote:

The mystery is now solved. I received an message from the person I bought this from and he tells me the wood is dealer supplied Cocobola.
Dan Snyder RKS #5537

That is definitely not Cocobolo. I've dug out some of my Bocote, and I'd say it was 99% certain.

Here's a link Dan, with some good pics of Bocote.
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/bocote.htm

Dubie Baxter

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/01/08 01:26 PM

Sweet knife Bob! Yes, that's Bocate alright...

Dubie, thanks for the link old friend, but if you'll pardon the pun, I think you may be 'barking up the wrong tree'...these two shots of another Stucky drop-point hunter with Cocobolo handle slabs look a lot more like the wood type used on Dan's knife (to me anyway) - plus, he has what the original owner told him...

Sorry for the thread drift guys, but do you have a link for Cocobolo wood as well Dubie? (doh, I figured it out...lol) http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/cocobolo.htm

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/01/08 01:35 PM

Shel, Cocobolo runs from the brownish-red to the purple range, where Bocote is more green/gold, to brown.

I have been collecting these hardwoods for years, and there is actually quite a difference between the two.

I'm sticking with Dan's knife as being Bocote.

Here's a link from the same site: http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/cocobolo.htm

Dubie Baxter

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/01/08 02:57 PM

Bob,
Yes: That Stanaback Special "is" Bocote. The Clinton Special still looks "laminated" to me. No grain pattern and growingly closer rings towards the outside gives it the assembled (plywood, if you will) appearance. Don't get me wrong: I like laminated wood. I have several Randalls and a few rifles outfitted this way. Super.."SUPER" strong!! And..I've been wrong before, but if you take a look at your Bocote (grain, spacing of varigations, etc.) verses the TC spl., you will see that they are very dis-similar. Who knows?? Just my "read"..Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: widmn

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/01/08 05:48 PM

Here's an older one with a Looooong ricasso.
Posted by: DUH120

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/01/08 05:56 PM

HERES MY ONLY TC SPECIAL

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=103626816

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/01/08 05:59 PM

Rich,

Thanks for posting this one. Is the blade longer or shorter than today's? Maybe you could post dimensions or photo next to a ruler?

See Ya, Chief

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/01/08 06:33 PM

Blade looks the same, Chief. The "hilt" is what I see on the "long" side. I used to be able to request the hilt length...No more. Just too far behind. Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/01/08 08:42 PM

Rich, that's a really nice knife.

Dubie Baxter
Posted by: widmn

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/02/08 12:27 AM

Yes the hilt is long, but the ricasso is what really stands out to me. It is much much longer than the newer ones. Thanks, Dubie.
Posted by: Guido_Bitossi

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/03/08 09:48 AM

This's my TCSpecial:

also Greg did a great job...
Best
Guido
Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/03/08 11:53 AM

BELLISIMO!
Ciao
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/03/08 01:16 PM

Now it REALLY seems like a Roman (Tuscany) short sword.

Dubie Baxter

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/03/08 08:47 PM

Guido, oh my! That's without a doubt the nicest CS that I've ever seen...very tastefully executed!

This unusual Model #18 handled Clinton Special, also from the 'not something you see every day files', is posted courtesy of a friend that collects the odd ones - the knife is older than the sheath by at least five to seven years...

Nice thread Jesse
Posted by: Dirty_Water

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/03/08 09:06 PM

Not only odd...but not from the shop either.

---DW---

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/03/08 09:15 PM

OUch !!!

Tell it D.W.

Dubie Baxter

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/03/08 10:31 PM

Quote:

This's my TCSpecial:

also Greg did a great job...
Best
Guido

I'm not gonna say it!!

See Ya, Chief

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/03/08 10:51 PM

Quote:

Not only odd...but not from the shop either.

AH HA! Fooled ya. That's not a real knife, at all. It was photoshopped by a couple 'o guys who secretly design knives for the Randall Shop and was just posted as a test to see if anyone could recognize a fugazy Randall

Regards,
Doug
Posted by: vklough46

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/04/08 07:23 AM

Hey Doug,

Kevin

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/04/08 10:10 AM

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHH...
It's not nice to fool Mother Nature
Tony
Posted by: CutUp

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/04/08 10:12 AM

I've always liked the Tom Clinton knife and there are many beautiful ones here. There is also apparently one that isn't real. My questions are, how does a hollow handle end up on a Clinton? Does it take tearing apart two Randalls to make one? What does Tom Clinton have to say about it? With all due respect to Mr. Wickersham, why would an author of a book on Randalls put up a picture of a fake Randall? Couldn't that give someone the idea that it is real? Not trying to start anything it just looks funny.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/04/08 10:21 AM

Oh I think they meant it to be a joke...a laugh!
After seeing Doug's post, that's how I took it, anyway.
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/04/08 11:17 AM

Matt, sorry bud, just trying to be funny here - I probably should've added a disclaimer at the bottom of the post...and a few more smilies too
Posted by: vklough46

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/04/08 11:57 AM

Sheldon,

You could always PM Tom The Bomb or Chief and have them edit it for you.

Kevin
Posted by: CutUp

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/04/08 02:11 PM

My wife always says that my sense of humor is as developed as my sense of laundry but the Clinton doesn't seem to be photoshopped which leaves me with the same questions. Is it a real knife or is it Memorex?

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/04/08 04:25 PM

Quote:

...just trying to be funny here - I probably should've added a disclaimer at the bottom of the post...and a few more smilies too

Yeah, right. Now THAT'S funny I don't care who you are!

Regards, Doug

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/05/08 05:40 PM

Matt,

Just a follow up per our PM – yes, it’s a real knife, albeit likely an altered one. I’ve spoken with both DW and the owner of the knife; and the owner, an RKS member and well known Florida based collector of RMK’s for over 25 years, has agreed to take it the Randall Shop for examination the next time he’s up that way...

The owner apologized to me for not expressly identifying the knife as being altered, as I do the members here for same – although all of us got a good laugh over the buzz generated by one fuzzy photo. The owner stated that he was a little surprised over the negative comments posted, being that unusual handled Randall knives were fairly common back in the mid to late 1980’s – as evidenced by the Crider collection knives listed in Rhett’s 1991 Green Catalog, for example...

Further, that he, Tom Clinton, Charlie Scannapieco, and others - actively sought out these types of unusual knives, shop made or not, on a semi-competitive basis for years. Yes, TC knows about the knife, but it’s not for sale - on a related note, a well known Chicago area RMK collector once told me that he had over 200 similar altered, unusual, and rehandled RMK’s in his personal collection...

Anyhoo, that’s the deal Matt; does that answer your question(s)?

Shel
Posted by: Guido_Bitossi

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/06/08 12:42 PM

Dubie you'R right:
it looks like a "DAGA ROMANA" or...Roman dagger.
Best
Guido
Posted by: lunde

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 10/19/08 09:42 PM

Here is one of mine (Black Micarta handle, Duralumin butt cap):

This is another one, with a Maroon Micarta handle, Nickel Silver smooth collar, and Duralumin coolie cap:

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 05/23/09 04:41 PM

Here is another of my Tom Clinton Specials:

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 05/23/09 06:05 PM

Hey Ken,
Great looking handle! What material is it?
Or is that a CIA secret?

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 05/23/09 06:20 PM

Tony,

The handle is stabilized double-dyed red/black box elder burl.
Posted by: Warren_Polidori

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 05/23/09 07:32 PM

Ken,

Your taste in knives can only be matched by your taste in spirits; both above board. Nice job!

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 05/24/09 01:43 PM

Thanks Ken!
It goes really well with the Clinton Special shape.
Tony
Posted by: MARSUS5554

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 05/26/09 08:38 AM

Quote:

Hey Ken,
Great looking handle! What material is it?
Or is that a CIA secret?

Two Clinton very beautiful special but that with handle in black micarta it is exceptional-
compliments

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 05/26/09 08:40 AM

Hi Tony, as does it go?
Ciao

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 05/26/09 09:03 AM

Giovanni!
Everything is going great! Hope you are doing well.
A beautiful Clinton Special Ken has ...Yes?
I have one coming next year, with a smooth Buffalo Horn handle.
Ciao,
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 05/26/09 03:06 PM

Quote:

Giovanni!
Everything is going great! Hope you are doing well.
A beautiful Clinton Special Ken has ...Yes?
I have one coming next year, with a smooth Buffalo Horn handle.
Ciao,
Tony

I wait with impatience to see it on these pages
Posted by: Peter_Kaufman

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 06/15/09 12:47 PM

Here is my new Tom Clinton Special, you wont see one like this just anywhere. Custom Croc sheath.

Peter

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 06/20/09 02:16 PM

More photos of my Tom Clinton Specials:

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 11/24/09 10:46 PM

I received this Tom Clinton Special today from Gary Clinton:

I ordered it from his father on 01/14/2008. The Ironwood was supplied to the shop by Gary Clinton, and I also specified a smooth Nickel Silver collar and a Nickel Silver butt cap.
Posted by: Oldvetnam1

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 11/25/09 05:07 AM

That's a great looking knife Ken.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/03/10 08:19 PM

As luck would have it, my birthday is next week and I received this great Tom Clinton special from Gary Clinton today Once again the craftsmen at the shop have done a super job creating another masterpiece. I am quite fond of ironwood, and this has some really nice figure.
Peter

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/03/10 10:06 PM

Wow. Nice ironwood. Nice knife!

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/04/10 08:46 AM

Peter!
That's a Classic Beauty!
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/04/10 04:22 PM

Quote:

As luck would have it, my birthday is next week and I received this great Tom Clinton special from Gary Clinton today Once again the craftsmen at the shop have done a super job creating another masterpiece. I am quite fond of ironwood, and this has some really nice figure.
Peter

I really like that handle style on the Clinton Special!!!! Great Knife, Congrats!

See Ya, Chief

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 03/23/10 10:00 PM

My First Clinton Special!

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 03/23/10 11:23 PM

Very nice! It's your first, but hopefully not your last.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 03/23/10 11:52 PM

So...I looked at Chief's and Tony's outstanding examples of the TC Special which I have always liked a lot and decided to reread the thread to look at those outstanding knives one more time.

When I did, I reread Jesse's post quoting Tom's 1989 letter stating that the knife would only have a forward curved hilt of nickel silver. Of course mine which I posted back then has a lugged hilt of pure fine silver and I did not realize that Tom had made an exception for me.

The TC Special in Jesse's post has a brass FC hilt. Are there any other examples of TC Specials with other than forward curved NS hilts??

Interesting stuff.

Regards,
Doug

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 03/24/10 08:18 AM

Doug, you wrote:
Quote:

Are there any other examples of TC Specials with other than forward curved NS hilts??

For those who received Gary Clinton's holiday card from late last year, there was a TCS with a #1 Style Double Hilt included in the photo (and with a mighty-nice SHAG-worthy Stag handle, I might add). This prompted me to order one with the same-style hilt (and with an Ivorite handle), which I am expecting in November or so. (Also in the order is a #2-8" with the same options.)

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 03/24/10 09:39 PM

Thanks for the info Ken. NS I assume?

Regards,
Doug

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 03/25/10 01:06 PM

Yes, both knives will have NS hilts and butt caps.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 03/25/10 02:23 PM

Tony, that's a real beauty you got there. I have a 2-5 with the same options as the TC Special in your picture. I really need to get one like yours for a matching pair.
Dan Snyder

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 03/25/10 02:57 PM

Thanks Dan!
I was told that mine was the last Clinton Special that will have a Buffalo Horn Handle.
I think the material is a pain to work with.
Your #2-5 sounds great! Have you posted pictures of it?
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 03/25/10 05:39 PM

Tony, yes, I have posted pictures of it. You'll find it in the model #2 thread on page 9 down near the bottom. I've seen a couple TC Specials with the fluted buffalo horn handles on ebay, so it looks like I'll have to get mine on the secondary market. I've also seen a couple model 1's in this configuration. Here's a picture of the 2-5 that I entered in EDO contest, it's pictured with a couple of other #2's I have.

Dan Snyder #5537

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 03/26/10 08:46 AM

Dan,
That is a cool #2!
If I ever "have to" sell my Clinton Special, you'll be the first I call!
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 04/26/10 05:47 PM

I got lucky and was able to pick up my second TC Special. This one has black micarta handle, nickle silver forward curved hilt, black and aluminum spacers and skull crusher butt cap.

Thanks for looking,

Dan Snyder
RKS #5537
SHAG #010

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 04/26/10 09:18 PM

Dan,
That's a seriously cool looking Clinton Special!
Congrats!
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/27/11 12:17 PM

I received this Tom Clinton Special last Fall. In addition to its Nickel Silver furniture and Ivorite handle, it also has a #1 style double hilt, as opposed to the more common forward curved hilt.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/27/11 03:34 PM

Ken, that's a great looking TC Special. One of these days I'm going to order one with the Ivorite handle to match the black micarta handled one I have.

Dan Snyder
RKS #5537
SHAG #010

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 03/11/11 07:30 PM

I just received this Tom Clinton Special from Gary Clinton yesterday. He supplied the stag, as not all stag would work with this model. I am really happy with the way it turned out and the guys in the shop did a fantastic job, especially the coolie cap fitment.
And no, I haven't given up ironwood smile

Peter

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 03/11/11 07:50 PM

Outstanding knife, Peter! And, it'd be hard to do better for that Stag handle, in terms of its character, and the degree to which it is straight.

I liked the other options, too, including those specified for its sheath.

Oh, and thank you for posting these photos to the SHAG thread elsewhere on the forum.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 03/11/11 07:54 PM

WOW, is that great stag or what? Now I can't decide, the ivorite or a stag handle for my next TC special. Dam you for posting this... grin

Dan Snyder
RKS #5537
SHAG #010
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 03/11/11 09:09 PM

Super Randall and super stag.

Pap
Posted by: Wally

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 03/11/11 10:09 PM

That's a stunning TCS Peter! At BLADE last year Gary helped my wife pick out some options for her "official" first RMK, and now I'm begining to think Gary really likes Coolie caps. You've certainly got a winner with that one, should be a candidate for an EDO photo shoot, I think!
Posted by: Oldvetnam1

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 03/12/11 05:36 AM

Great stag handle Peter. That knife's a beauty.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 03/12/11 08:19 AM

NICE Peter!
I haven't seen many TCSs with stag.
This one's a beauty!
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 03/13/11 09:46 AM

Thanks Guys

I appreciate the comments

Dan, you should get one of each, stag and ivorite smile

Wally, I thought the coolie cap would be a great finisher for the stag and that it would complement the shape of the blade, I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out

Peter
Posted by: boardrider

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 04/04/11 07:33 PM

Does anyone know what the cost of a "standard model" Clinton special is?

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 04/04/11 08:59 PM

Griff
I don't know, but my stag was $645 delivered, and since it was not shop stag, I would guess that the standard model would be around $550, send Gary Clinton an email and I am sure he can tell you pretty quickly

Peter
Posted by: Attila Mezzini

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 05/31/16 03:44 PM

TC Commemorative. Sycamore handle.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 05/31/16 08:47 PM

Wow, I've never seen sycamore wood before. That's a real beauty and the sheath is kinda special too. I'll have to take a picture of my latest TC Special I acquired.

Dan Snyder
RKCC CM #155

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 05/31/16 09:21 PM

One of my favorite knives Very Sweet looking set up!!! Good get!!
Posted by: Attila Mezzini

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 06/01/16 02:54 AM

Thanks!!
Posted by: Eric

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 06/18/16 03:19 PM

Thought you all might like this Tom Clinton example.

Comes with a Black Custom RMK marked Sullivan Sheath.
Posted by: Tattoo Bill

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 06/18/16 03:24 PM

Dammit Man.......You haven't shown that one to me before!
Posted by: Buck Buchanan

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 06/18/16 09:35 PM

Dang! Eric, don't toy with us!

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 06/18/16 09:56 PM

I have always liked Ivory TC Specials. Eric

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 06/18/16 10:10 PM

That one on the right with the small FCH is sexy!

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 09/16/16 02:40 PM

My latest.
Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 09/16/16 02:53 PM

BREATHTAKING!!!!!! whistle
Posted by: Zogger

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 09/16/16 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Chief
My latest.

Very nice! What is the handle material?
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 09/16/16 05:28 PM

Chief,

Your Musk Ox? Really exceptional handle. Looks great w/o a butt cap and shows more of the handle.
Posted by: Sharpi

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 09/16/16 07:42 PM

Musk Ox Dreams

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 09/16/16 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: W Polidori
Chief,

Your Musk Ox? Really exceptional handle. Looks great w/o a butt cap and shows more of the handle.

The Captain & I discussed this at blade, as I see a lot of his without a butt cap or plate.
I have to say that I'm glad I listened! The Ox came from Duke, only place to get it in my opinion.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 09/17/16 06:38 AM

Was thinking that was Duke's Ox. One of the best I've seen.
Posted by: GCTom41

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 09/17/16 06:39 AM

Chief,

Awesome Musk-Ox, great handle on that TC Special; Duke's Musk-Ox is the best!

Tom Flynn

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/03/17 06:03 PM

Here you go Chief updated with some stripes thanks to Gary Clinton. Man I really do like this knife.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/03/17 07:15 PM

To bad ya can't get a musk-ox sheath.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/03/17 08:01 PM

Great looking knife Warren, the TC Special is one of my Favorite Models.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/03/17 08:11 PM

Chief,

Trust me if they only made them.

Eric,

I've had a few over the years, this one is cool, just ask Chief he had a hand in it, and I got to hand it to him he did a great job. I just gave it a new suit.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/03/17 09:21 PM

I have a couple of it's relatives stashed away!

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/03/17 09:22 PM

liking that 8-4, what's it made of?

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/03/17 09:22 PM

Beaver Tail

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/03/17 09:24 PM

ahhh should have known, sweet looking!

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/03/17 10:47 PM

I am LIKING that #8-4 as well... actually! !! whistle

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/03/17 11:25 PM

1'7 is the BOMB. Speaking of which where is Tom?

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/14/17 04:18 PM

TC Special with a seldom seen TC Special No-hone sheath.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/14/17 05:41 PM

One of my favorite RMK's good get!

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/14/17 05:56 PM

Thanks Chief, I like it.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/14/17 06:52 PM

I need one that's about a foot longer!
Posted by: Stikman

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/15/17 11:08 AM

If I may , I think the sheath is a fake, or a second sheath that has been stamped with the logo after it left our shop.
Stikman

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/15/17 12:07 PM

Danny

Gary Clinton sold it to me last week, you may ask him about where it came from originally? I am happy with it, I got it as a user sheath.... I was going to ask you to wax it when the TC Special Sheath I asked about was ready to be made.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/15/17 12:21 PM

Eric,
I am with Danny on this one, "although" I think "fake" wasn't in my thoughts. The sheath was not ordered with that TC, at least not from the photos. The throat is cut for a "straight" double (or single) hilt and not FCH. I am sure it works fine...just shows a bit of the blade, when fully inserted and snapped.
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Stikman

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/15/17 12:26 PM

It has the holes in the loop, like a model C sheath , the TC special does not , and it should have either a custom stamp or TCS above the stamp on the back of the sheath.
Stikman

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/15/17 01:08 PM

Capt. Chris and Danny, Misunderstanding I think. I bought the Sheath separate from the knife. The Sheath that came with the knife has a C stamped on the back. I did not want ot get it dirty so I wanted a user sheath, Gary had this no-hone laying around in his copious amount of extra sheaths.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/15/17 01:31 PM

"C" stamping, indicating "curved" (hilt) makes all of this a lot more sensible.
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/16/17 07:37 AM

User sheath? are you going to use that beast?

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/16/17 08:11 AM

Pat, I try to get extra sheaths for all the RMK's I use or plan to use in the future. I like to pair them up with one of my CCW's or open carry.
TC Special, separating hanging rope is the only use I have found for it so far.
Posted by: Billy Poyner

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/16/17 09:10 AM

Eric,
Great Rigs!!Share some info on the S&W and 10-5
with me.
Posted by: NW Michigan

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/16/17 10:02 AM

Eric,
Nice Hi Powers! Is the top one a Canadian Inglis?

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/16/17 11:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Billy Poyner
Eric,
Great Rigs!!Share some info on the S&W and 10-5
with me.

Billy, 10-5 with Clinton G10 Camo, Gary also had a Johnson roughback 10-5 Sheath I got separately. S&W 625-7 3" barreled N frame chambered in 45LC. There were only 150 of these made for Lew Horton in 1999 verified in the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wessons. I use a chest mounted holster when carrying this one.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/16/17 11:22 AM

Originally Posted By: NW Michigan
Eric,
Nice Hi Powers! Is the top one a Canadian Inglis?

Howdy Neighbor,

Thank you. Yes you are right, To be more specific it is now a Post WW II and Korea British Military re-issue Inglis High Power. After serving in two wars, this pistol was sent to the RSAF Enfield Base for a complete refurbishment, parts replacement, and refinishing. This necessary refurbishment (F. T. R. "Factory Thorough Repair") was undertaken in the 1960's due to these pistol's heavy battle use all over the world. To designate this massive effort, the pistols were stamped (besides the original "Mk I *") "F. T. R." and given a FTR number with the date of the refurbishment. After receiving its necessary replacement parts the pistols were then reparkerized and coated with a synthetic black stove enamel. This one is dated 63.

My other Hi-Power is a Post WW II West German Military Police High Power stamped with the early "Fabrique National D' Armes De Guerre...." of the Belgian Government.

Posted by: NW Michigan

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/16/17 07:45 PM

Eric,
Thanks for posting and providing the interesting history!
Doug

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 04/25/17 09:51 AM

TC Special with Fossil Walrus Ivory and Sullivan made Ostrich Sheath.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/06/17 10:37 PM

Got the Pictures today from Gary Clinton.
Have to give him a big shout out as he supplied this killer piece of Buckeye for me!

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/06/17 11:06 PM

Getting a stiff neck, hopefully this helps.
I do like the rounded handle. Nice look.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/06/17 11:34 PM

That's a GREAT TC Chief...have him send it here and I'll look it over and clean it 4 U.... QUALITY CONTROL! !!

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/07/17 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: RamKingJC
That's a GREAT TC Chief...have him send it here and I'll look it over and clean it 4 U.... QUALITY CONTROL! !!

Wake up pal your dreaming agin! LOL

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/08/17 12:22 PM

Chief
Contrasting background
looks like a Polar Bear in a snow storm
sharpi

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/08/17 12:32 PM

Here is mine
Shared with James and Michael This morning
James thanks for Breakfast
Michael thanks for sharing
Sharpi

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/08/17 01:44 PM

It is a goooooooood lookin TC!!!!
Anytime 8-)

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/08/17 04:35 PM

Great look, What kind of wood?

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/08/17 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Sharpi
Chief
Contrasting background
looks like a Polar Bear in a snow storm
sharpi

LOL I'll tell Gary.
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/08/17 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Chief
Great look, What kind of wood?

Looks like thuya burl.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/08/17 05:26 PM

It is Thuya... I could smell it across the table in a restaurant when he unwrapped it!
Posted by: spark42

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/08/17 10:25 PM

James, does Thuya smell that much stronger then bacon, or is it that with a hot new Randall on the table you don't notice any thing else. Nice one Sharpi

Dennis

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/08/17 11:17 PM

Thanks Dennis
It’s my Sunday goin to Churches knife
Sharpi

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/09/17 07:53 AM

It was Randall fever, can't deny it!

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/27/17 06:03 PM

TC Special with old yeller and an Elephant hide Sullivan Sheath.
Posted by: Boomer51

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/27/17 07:10 PM

Looking good Eric, sharp rig. I got my first two old yeller handled knives earlier this year and love them.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/27/17 07:23 PM

Don't shoot me. Old yeller or AGM. Color looks very uniform and dark for yeller. Just asking.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/28/17 06:36 AM

Good morning, Warren

It matches the color of my Vietnam Veteran perfectly. It could be AGM, but I know the #1-8 is Westinghouse Micarta. Tried attaching a photo with my ipad....didn’t work. I will try again later with my laptop.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/28/17 06:57 AM

Thanks Eric.
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/28/17 08:47 AM

Originally Posted By: W Polidori
Don't shoot me. Old yeller or AGM. Color looks very uniform and dark for yeller. Just asking.

Agree with Warren. A LOT of gold for "Old Yeller"....
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/28/17 08:01 PM

nutt'n wrong with AGM!!!

:-)Rocky

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/28/17 09:07 PM

I like AGM.....lol
Posted by: Fregis

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/28/17 10:18 PM

I have one just like this.
Mine has a flanged scalloped butt cap.
Any guess as to date of birth?

Question Please,,

Can pics be loaded to this forum by phone?

My handle is not fishtail,just standard

Posted by: tunefink

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/28/17 10:38 PM

Back on topic guys..... This is the Tom Clinton dealer special thread.

Thanks,
Posted by: coachblalock

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/29/17 09:16 PM

I've been out for a couple of days but I thought I'd show what Mrs. Santa put under the tree for me. She has had it for a couple of months but would not let me open it until Christmas morning!

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/29/17 09:25 PM

Must have killing you to know she had it. Very nice coach, enjoy!

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/29/17 09:49 PM

Yep.

She got it from the Post Office before I could get up there.

Then she hid it.

I've looked everywhere around here but could not find it.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/29/17 09:50 PM

That Yellow Micarta on those knives is really beautiful.
Posted by: Fregis

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/29/17 10:15 PM

I have a 1-8 Buffalo Horn beauty I got from Tunes,,its commando and smooth.
Gary Clinton offered me one with Buffalo Horn that is ribbed like this TC Special.
Is this American Buffalo Horn?
Are the ribs natural or tooled?
I recently asked Gary Clinton about ordering a Clinton Supplied Stag TCS and he said its hard to get a straight piece of stag for TCS.
I haven't seen hardly any TCS with stag
Mr Kaufman's exceptional TCS only one Ive seen
FWIW,,thanks to GC and Tunes
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 12/30/17 04:12 PM

ribbed or fluting in buffalo horn is tooled. Natural is a gentle smooth taper base-to-point.

RMK will no longer work with Buffalo Horn material.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 01/06/18 09:22 AM

I hope it is AGM. Here is a better pic next to what I know is Westinghouse micarta. I do see more of a gold appearance. Thanks for all the help!

P.S. Left Orlando early, Fri. morning. That was the coldest Orlando trip I have ever had, makes the current -6 outside not so bad.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 01/06/18 09:27 AM

My rule of thumb...... is if it's not in a Johnson sheath (smooth or rough back) it's not old yellow. There my be some old yellow after the early 90's but it was seldom.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 01/06/18 11:19 AM

Thank's Mitchell! So, 3 Westinghouse and 2 AGM's pictured. Got it.

TC Special came with the Black Sheath Pictured.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 01/06/18 11:28 AM

I'd say 4 Westinghouse and 1 AGM. That VV sure looks goldish, but all I have ever seen were "Old Yeller".
My "assumption" would be the lighting..
Nice group !!

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 01/06/18 11:31 AM

I wish that I knew you were in Orlando!

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 01/06/18 12:51 PM

Thanks, Michael. I crave Randall's. No matter what the handle material.

TBB, I had my hands full already with my old Air Force buddies. It had been almost 30 years since we all bent an elbow together. Good times and I really enjoyed Christners Steak House. Ate there 3 times. Great Food!

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 01/06/18 02:10 PM

I am not saying it's 100% Eric, but that's been when I start questioning it. I with Mike that the CC looks like old yellow, but it gets confusing. Great looking group!

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 01/12/18 08:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Eric
Good times and I really enjoyed Christners Steak House. Ate there 3 times. Great Food!

Live and work less than 5 miles from Christners Steak House, haven't been there yet.. Guess I need to change that!!

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 01/12/18 11:57 AM

It wasn’t that close to where we stayed, but the prime ribeye kept me coming back. Enjoy.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 01/12/18 05:02 PM

Michael
Let's get James and go have a steak
We can bring our own steak knives
Sharpi

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 01/12/18 05:24 PM

Michael
Sharpi

James don't eat red meat... breakfast or bust!

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 01/12/18 07:35 PM

Michael
Sharpi

Sounds like a plan..
Mac & cheese for James grin

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 01/12/18 07:36 PM

No, mudbugs and Mac!! Count me in too!!

Pap

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 01/13/18 12:05 PM

Originally Posted By: pappy19
Pap

Ok, if mudbugs are in picture, then we can't leave out Chief, Crazy Cajun and the Oldguy grin
Posted by: BladesNBarrels

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 01/13/18 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: pappy19

Pap

Punctuation makes all the difference:
No, mudbugs and Mac!

or

No Mudbugs and Mac!!

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 01/13/18 09:42 PM

Lol.

Pap

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 09/03/18 06:00 PM

Ton Clinton Special with a reduced hilt.
Posted by: Sphinx3000

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 09/04/18 06:27 AM

Pretty blade Eric!
Posted by: LarryWW1246

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 09/04/18 08:53 AM

A potential "ouchy" here. No guard on a TC Special?

How many of us have accidentally slid a finger or other body part along or across the edge of such an RMK?

I get "nicked" on such occasions, so I would not want a user knife without a true guard on it.

Larry

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 09/04/18 09:13 AM

Thanks Spinx3000, I really really like the blade design Tom Clinton decided to use for his Special.

Larry, Definitely not for everyone, but that is why I like it so much.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 09/11/18 04:56 PM

TC Special with brass furniture.

Posted by: LarryWW1246

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 09/11/18 05:38 PM

Dwight--

That's a gem!

Larry

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 09/11/18 07:04 PM

Thanks Larry, I like the lines on the TC.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 09/11/18 07:40 PM

Hey Dwight. That's MY TC Special!!!!!

But I must admit, your pictures are much, much better than mine.

I've heard it said before that "Great minds think alike."

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 09/11/18 08:02 PM

Thanks Coach, looking at yours makes me want the WT.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 09/11/18 08:32 PM

Eric,

I just now saw yours with the reduced hilt. I think you have “one of a kind”.

Gary had that one when my single hilt TC got ready and I was tempted.

I may live to regret not grabbing it.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 09/11/18 10:21 PM

It's an awesome TC .. but not 1 of a kind.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 09/12/18 06:42 AM

James,

How many reduced hilt TC’s do you think are out there?

Coach

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 09/12/18 07:08 AM

He's had at least 2 on his Website over the last year. It's an option that can be ordered at any time.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 09/12/18 08:14 AM

Thank you, Coach, but my guess would be that there are a few more than we would think.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/29/20 09:25 PM

Just waiting on the mail.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 01/22/21 05:47 AM

My favorite Dealer Special. I am so glad that Gary Clinton took on the job of continuing this Special!

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 01/22/21 07:26 AM

Eric,

That is a great TC Special; one of my favorites too.

Tom Flynn
Posted by: Lori

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/21/21 04:44 PM

My Tom Clinton Special

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 02/22/21 07:26 AM

Lori

Another beauty, very nice

Tom Flynn
Posted by: RUTROW

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 03/28/21 01:14 AM

LORI,
That is a show piece there, very nice.
Posted by: Buck Buchanan

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 03/28/21 07:57 PM

Lori,

I am "green with envy"!!!!!

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 03/28/21 08:07 PM

Awesome TC Special !
Posted by: Lori

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 03/29/21 09:50 AM

Thanks! I kinda like Tiffany Blue G-10!

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/23/21 04:44 PM

Had my Resin Ivory Clinton scrimshawed with a Special forces theme.
Posted by: Shoot870p

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/23/21 10:24 PM

Yes sir. Looking good.
Walker

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/24/21 03:22 PM

I like it - pretty good resemblance. Who did you get to do the work?

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/24/21 03:45 PM

Thanks guys, I like the way it turned out. Jim Stevens of Colorado, he is a former 5th Special Forces Troop. Jim is legally blind but believes “A man with vision is never truly blind”. A Great American indeed.

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 07/27/21 08:33 AM

Eric,

Great looking Clinton and scrim!

Tom Flynn
Posted by: Dirty_Water

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 06/19/23 08:44 PM

The LAST of Tom's signature series...
Posted by: Gary_Clinton

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 06/20/23 01:34 PM

Scott,

Could be the nicest one made of that series! Outstanding.
Posted by: 505Gibbs

Re: Knife Of The Week Clinton Special!! - 06/20/23 05:00 PM

I believe this one is in palm wood.