Knife Of The Week Model 26

Posted by: vklough46

Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/06/08 07:11 AM

Thanks to all who have participated thus far.

The Model 26 first came about in 1989. In 1994 it was first offered with the Model 25 handle. It has a 4" drop point blade of 3/16" stock. It's a great skinning knife and my personal favorite. I think it makes just about the perfect knife to carry for all kinds of game.

Lady and gentlemen, may we please see some Model 26s?

Kevin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/06/08 07:23 AM

Here are some Model 26s. From top to bottom:
Model 25 handle with stag, this knife is always with me
Model 25 handle with shop-supplied birdseye maple
Model 25 handle with polished stag
Model 25 handle with water buffalo and rounded butt cap
water buffalo handle

Stag and brass handle with rounded butt cap
antique gold Micarta with rounded butt cap
Model 25 handle with ironwood and rounded butt cap
maroon Micarta with rounded butt cap

As you have probably deduced, 26s are my favorite Randall knife model, much to the chagrin of my friend Chief.
Kevin
Posted by: silverknife

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/06/08 08:09 AM

Man, Kevin, I guess you DO like Model 26's. Those are beautiful. The stag on those knives is magnificent and the black buffalo horn against the nickel silver is definately a crowd pleaser.

I only have two. This one exquisitely scrimshawed by Rick Bowles and engraved by David Perdue, and another one also beautifully scrimshawed by Rick:

The name of the boat is "Randall Maid" and if you look closely you can see Rick peeking out the door of the shack wearing his ever-present Atlanta Braves cap.

The subject of this #26 with my .999% fine silver hardware is a frilled lizzard, native to the Australin outback and the very famous "Ayers Rock" found in north west Australia. I regret that I did not get a chance to see it first hand on my last trip but I won't get too busy to see it on my next one.

By the way Kevin, thank you for undertaking this "knife of the week" project. It really gives us all a chance to see some very outstanding examples of the Randall craftsmanship and to show off our own treasured Randalls.

Regards, Doug
Posted by: JesseEgnew

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/06/08 10:25 AM

Kevin, those knives are stupendous. If they where mine I would have to display ALL of them on my belt at the same time to dazzle the ladies.
Doug, you seemingly have a never ending supply of Mr. Bowles top notch work being showcased and if you keep on doing this before long his backlog will be as long as the shop.
Posted by: Cabinet_Man

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/06/08 11:42 AM

Nice ones guys... mine are not near as ornate as the example that Doug shared, but are model 26's nonetheless. Here are the ones that I have...
~dale

1st one has a standard handle, nickel guard/wrist thong, and has been scrimmed by Gary Harbour. This was the first scrimshawed knife I aquired. The backdrop is an asort. of fish (most of which were caught by by neighbor-luckiest fisherman I ever met ) while ice fishing this winter.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/06/08 11:44 AM

#2 has the "25 style handle" with brass option... The backdrop is my favorite old flannel jacket (holes and all ) on the tail gate of my old work truck.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/06/08 11:47 AM

#3 has a SS blade, nickel guard and butt cap with an elephant ivory center in the 25 style handle. It's sitting on a carved display stand made from Bubinga.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/06/08 11:50 AM

#4 is the same as above but has an elephant scrimmed on the handle by Hutch, and also has an elephant skin sheath. This one is sitting on a carved stand made from African Wenge.

Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/06/08 11:58 AM

Dale,
Nice knives and beautiful photos, as always!!!!
Tony
Posted by: MARK

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/06/08 01:57 PM

Beautiful knives and great photos! I have a 26 with the 25 handle on order. Thanks for sharing your 26's!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/06/08 04:48 PM

This is an early 1980's Model 26 that belongs to our buddy Dubie.
The scrimshaw is of an Indigo snake by the artist Faustina Meade.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/06/08 04:57 PM

I've seen pics of this knife before... the blade grind is very unique on this one. It reminds me a lot of a cattleman with the almost horizontal line and dropped nose.
~dale
Posted by: sterusmall

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/06/08 05:04 PM

Posted by: 7033grip

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/06/08 06:07 PM

We got us some knice #26 nives in Polk County, don't we Mr. Mallory?

Dubie Baxter
Posted by: Sidney_Redford

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/06/08 09:56 PM

I have a couple of the L.L.Bean's one is #002 don't remember the other. I also have one with the 25 handle and maybe one more, not sure until I rummage through the safe,also have the one Burnie had up for sale here. Almost forgot. I have a bad case of CRS.
Posted by: Warren_Polidori

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/07/08 09:12 AM

Kevin,
Nice collection of Model 26's. You've become a friend and a Randall mentor to this recent enthusiast. I submitt my one and only (for now) Pathfinder for your column.

Best,
Warren Polidori

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/07/08 09:15 AM

Hello Warren, and welcome! Here's your photo...
~dale

Posted by: Guido_Bitossi

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/07/08 11:40 AM

It seams to me Mod. # 26 got many Fans here ....

Best
Guido

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/07/08 11:43 AM

....one of my favourite.....

Guido
Posted by: Cisco

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/07/08 01:18 PM

Here is my model 26. Hey Dale, does this 26 look familiar?
Posted by: Kent_Warnberg

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/07/08 02:43 PM

Friends, Kevin, Dale, and Guido,

WOW! The #26 is one of my faves too! Only have 2 so far, both with the #25 handle, and one O/O with the Capt. with a #25 handle, with an ivory center.

Guido, Is the scrimming of a Timberdoodle, (snipe)? Beautiful, and is he second one from the Left, Mammoth Ivory? Awesome!

Kevin, You have way too many! and Dale, your right up there! Oh, today I just received from Dale, a display base with a stag horn on the ends..to hold a #26! (Dales work is Really Nice)!

Kent

RKS #109

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/07/08 02:50 PM

Friends, and Doug!

Sorry Doug, but I wasn't trying to leave you off of that last post, so as another writer said, "You seem to have too many scrimmed"! Anyway, I don't want you to get tired of that scrimmed 26, so I'll just send you my address, so that you can send that one my way! That way Mr. R.B. can do another one for you. Oh, I will pay you with my un-dying gratitude!

Awesome 26's!

Kent

RKS #109
Posted by: Rick_Bowles

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/07/08 03:00 PM

When Gary was still in the R&D stage of the Pathfinder he sent me one of the prototypes to scrimshaw. This particular knife had a false edge and a mini commemorative handle complete with the polished center section and a small crown stag butt. As I recall I scrimshawed Sitting Bull on the proto #26. I asked Gary to send me an image of it (if he can find it). Sorry for the story and no pic (yet) but it's very cool.
Posted by: BOB_TEATES

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/07/08 04:09 PM

beautiful 26's. this is my only one. Bob
Posted by: Chief

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/07/08 06:11 PM

Quote:

Here are some Model 26s. From top to bottom:
Model 25 handle with stag, this knife is always with me
Model 25 handle with shop-supplied birdseye maple
Model 25 handle with polished stag
Model 25 handle with water buffalo and rounded butt cap
water buffalo handle

Stag and brass handle with rounded butt cap
antique gold Micarta with rounded butt cap
Model 25 handle with ironwood and rounded butt cap
maroon Micarta with rounded butt cap

As you have probably deduced, 26s are my favorite Randall knife model, much to the chagrin of my friend Chief.
Kevin

Bob ya buy that gun so that little knife wouldn't be so scared in the DARK !!!!!! Never knew that they made bayonets for pistols

hey Kevin maybe we can get 3-4 of those welded together for ya

All BS aside nice knives folks!!!

See Ya, Chief

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/07/08 07:08 PM

I would like to thank everyone who has posted. From those who have several 26s to Warren Polidori's first, but not last, 26. Thanks for making this your first post, Warren.

We have seen beautiful examples of another great RMK model. From 26s carried in the field to those that have been embellished with beautiful scrimshaw and engraving. From stag to wood to ivory to Micarta, all wonderful examples of this great little knife.

And to my friend Chief who doesn't have any 26s, someday you will see the light, my brother. The beautiful shining light of the charismatic little 26.

Kevin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/07/08 07:46 PM

Kevin, your last post reminded me, I forgot all about these little 26's. While I was away someone ran them through the dishwasher 'cause they were dirty and the darn things shrank!!!

Regards, Doug

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/07/08 09:43 PM

Quote:

When Gary was still in the R&D stage of the Pathfinder he sent me one of the prototypes to scrimshaw. This particular knife had a false edge and a mini commemorative handle complete with the polished center section and a small crown stag butt. As I recall I scrimshawed Sitting Bull on the proto #26. I asked Gary to send me an image of it (if he can find it). Sorry for the story and no pic (yet) but it's very cool.

--------------------
Rick Bowles RKS #012
www.RBscrim.com

Rick,
Any info or stories on how the 26 came about?
~dale

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/08/08 01:05 AM

Quote:

Any info or stories on how the 26 came about?
~dale

Mrs. Randall needed a dependable potato peeler

See Ya, Chief
Posted by: Ausblade

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/08/08 03:34 AM

Quote:

See Ya, Chief

It works pretty well as a deer peeler as well.

My favorite one.

Basic, one option - stainless

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/08/08 06:09 AM

Quote:

David, I didn't know that you had such disdain for the pathfinder. Thank goodness I found out in time. I had this one packed and ready to ship for your birthday.

Maybe a nice Cinderella lunch box with a Prince Charming thermos bottle instead?

Regards, Doug

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/08/08 07:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

See Ya, Chief

It works pretty well as a deer peeler as well.

My favorite one.

Basic, one option - stainless

Good on ya mate... Great photo too.

Dubie Baxter
Posted by: sterusmall

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/08/08 09:06 AM

Quote:

We got us some knice #26 nives in Polk County, don't we Mr. Mallory?

Dubie Baxter

We sure do Dubie! Maybe it has something to with practicality.

The black handled one is a couple years old has a many a squirrel and a couple of deer under its belt as well as quite a bit of general use. The 26 is a great size for most anything.

That indigo #26 always turns ny head when I see it posted.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/08/08 12:14 PM

Steven, that "Indigo" #26 was my first Randall...a gift from little brother Jere. It is an Early Pathfinder, and that's why the grind is different. It's also smaller than the later ones.

You're right about the skinning capabilities. Chief thinks they're perfect for foreskin removal.

Dubie Baxter

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/08/08 12:55 PM

Hi Kent,
the scrimming is a "Woodcock" and about second question: yes! it's Mammouth Ivory.
Best
Guido

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/08/08 02:08 PM

Guido,

Absolutely Stunning! I about drooled in the keyboard when I saw those pictures!

Kent

RKS #109
Posted by: DUH120

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/08/08 03:50 PM

These are my only 2 26's

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=96795946

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/08/08 06:39 PM

There are a bunch of fine model 26s here but this one would take the cake for my money. This thing is too cool for school!
This is a prototype Pathfinder. The false edge was a consideration during the R&D. The handle is clearly a mini commemorative style with an ivory center section. I scrimshawed Sitting Bull on this piece and Tom Leschorn carved his ivy pattern in high relief on the hilt and the plate which he inlayed into the crown. A big thank you to Gary Randall for digging this out and taking the image.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/08/08 08:44 PM

Just...WoW !!!!!

Did Chief "sit" for the portrait?

Dubie
Posted by: New2Randalls

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/08/08 09:26 PM

WOW is an understatement. That is one beautiful knife! I've really got to get myself one!
Dan Snyder RKS #5537

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/08/08 11:31 PM

Quote:

There are a bunch of fine model 26s here but this one would take the cake for my money. This thing is too cool for school!
This is a prototype Pathfinder. The false edge was a consideration during the R&D. The handle is clearly a mini commemorative style with an ivory center section. I scrimshawed Sitting Bull on this piece and Tom Leschorn carved his ivy pattern in high relief on the hilt and the plate which he inlayed into the crown. A big thank you to Gary Randall for digging this out and taking the image.

Truly a Fine Work of Art!! Is or was such a handle an option?
Rick ya sure described Mr. Leschorn's work right "carving" indeed. That Sitting Bull scrim has all my attention!!

See Ya, Chief

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/08/08 11:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

David, I didn't know that you had such disdain for the pathfinder. Thank goodness I found out in time. I had this one packed and ready to ship for your birthday.

Maybe a nice Cinderella lunch box with a Prince Charming thermos bottle instead?

Regards, Doug

Tease!!!! That's to funny!

See Ya, Chief

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/09/08 01:40 AM

Quote:

That really is a beautiful piece of art, and something you don't get the chance to see every day. Thanks for getting the pic posted.
~dale

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/09/08 06:34 AM

Neither the false edge nor the commemorative style handle was ever an option. To the best of my knowledge this is the only one. This one-off was made around 1988 when the 50th anniversary knife was coming out. This is an example of Gary having an idea and carrying it to fruition.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/09/08 06:55 AM

Rick,

That's a beautiful knife. I'm sure that Tatanka lyotanka would certainly approve. Thank you, Gary Randall, for finding this image for us all to see. That's a special knife.

Kevin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/09/08 07:05 AM

Simply.....
......WONDER.....
Best
Guido
Posted by: EDO

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/09/08 08:23 AM

Very nice!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/09/08 11:59 PM

Quote:

Cisco,
I really like how the blade is "pointy" compared to mine. You should put that one in the photo contest. Nice lighting, and overall clear shot. Nice job!
~dale

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/10/08 01:27 AM

Quote:

hey Kevin maybe we can get 3-4 of those welded together for ya

See Ya, Chief

The two he had with him the day his pants caught on fire were "welded" together.
~dale

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/10/08 07:47 AM

Quote:

Doug, you seemingly have a never ending supply of Mr. Bowles top notch work being showcased and if you keep on doing this before long his backlog will be as long as the shop.

Jesse, if only that were true! I have been buying Rick's art since the early 90's, way before his incredible talent was well known. As a consequence I do have a lot of his work, but not anywhere near enough!!

Regards, Doug
Posted by: Burnie

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 01/31/09 05:16 PM

Here is one for my friend Kevin. This is a model 26 made finished by Gail White. Mr. White was one of only a couple of people Randall supplied blades to for finish knife work. Mr. Whites blades were stamped with a W. to identify his work. This model 26 has the black spacer in remembrance of Bo Randall. Kevin you need this one in your 26 collection!
Posted by: Burnie

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 01/31/09 05:17 PM

Close-up of blade stamp.
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/18/09 07:07 PM

Here's a new "treasure"! Model #26-4", "Pathfinder" with a Model #25 handle (3-piece)!!
Best, Capt. Chris
[image]
]http://www.randallknifesociety.com/ubbch...%29.JPG[/image]

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/18/09 07:15 PM

This knife just came out and was made from a piece of my "scraps"! It is stainless and has thumb notches. N-25 handle with CW and a wrist thong! It also was ordered with a more traditional Model "B" black sheath, verses the standard "pouch" associated with this model.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/18/09 07:19 PM

The duralumin butt cap has been ordered "radioused" (or rounded) for a more comfortable feel on my side.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/18/09 07:22 PM

Oh yeah...and the "scrap". A piece of stabilized cocobola that was too small to be ordered on anything else...I don't throw "anything" away!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 03/13/09 07:44 PM

This is one of my very favorite knives that I purchased from a very dear friend. I wonder if there are any others out there quite like it?????????????????????

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 03/13/09 07:51 PM

Nice knife Warren.
Here is your knife's sister for a little reunion.

Kevin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 03/13/09 08:25 PM

Kevin,

Looks like fraternal twins at birth to me.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/11/09 04:39 PM

Our good friend, Kent Warnberg, wanted to share some of his knives and sheaths with us. Model 26 with beautiful stag handle and fantastic baby hornback croc sheath.
Thanks,
Kevin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/11/09 05:57 PM

Kent,

Great looking 26 dressed in a leather Tuxedo. Great job!

Best,
Warren

PS: Kevin called to tell me since he likes Model 26's so much he's keeping this one.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/13/09 11:18 AM

Warren,

I think that Kevin all ready has Enough #26's, and Many nice ones to boot!

This one too really turned out great.

Kent
RKS #109

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/13/09 12:43 PM

"Kevin has enough #26's" ???

Kent, That's like saying that a man has enough guns or enough power tools

Remonds me of my ex-wives. Talk like that could get a fella excommunicated from the RKS faster than lard thru a goose!

Regards,
Doug

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/13/09 01:44 PM

Doug,

Point Well Taken! and..We all Don't want to see the "Lard go through a Goose"!

Kent B. Warnberg
RKS #109
Posted by: doublethink98

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/16/09 10:55 AM

I recently picked up a 26 stag with finger grooves. Does anyone have any pics of a model like this?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/16/09 09:46 PM

He's not the only one that likes "Pathfinders".
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/16/09 09:48 PM

The handle, showing the "radiused" (or rounded) butt cap. Again: My apologies for the photos...
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/16/09 09:55 PM

Like everyone else, I wish more Randall models were available with a "Trapper" handle. The possibilities are endless. Here's one with a piece of my supplied cocobola.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/16/09 09:58 PM

Something a little different that "can" be ordered is a Model "B" sheath, verses the "pouch" sheath that normally is supplied.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/16/09 10:00 PM

Not a bad handle, especially when you realize it was made with "scraps"!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/16/09 10:04 PM

It's true:
My buddy, Gene Beal, salvaged this 1" X 1" X 3" piece of cocobola out of a fairly large piece I bought at the Knifemaker's Guild show, this past summer right here in Orlando! It was perfect for this little project. It compliments the leather and vice versa! Another example of a rounded butt cap, by the way!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/16/09 10:11 PM

I gotta apologize, as the last #26 was posted in this thread earlier. I don't think this one coming up has been, although it was posted up "somewhere" when Sheldon or someone had a post on this forum, stating that the Randall shop did not make a Model #26 with the similar blade grind of the "Trapper", Model #25. This one shows that grind and was a limited run...but it was 100% Randall shop-made!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/16/09 10:16 PM

A shot of the blade, with my usual "fuzzy" focus, from the other side !
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/16/09 10:19 PM

Continuing this "fuzzy affair", we have a close-up of the blade!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/16/09 10:22 PM

A tad better focus from the starboard side.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/16/09 10:26 PM

Lastly: The handle was Randall shop-supplied green linen. I have to find the rest of my Pathfinders?? Hope this will do for now...
Best, Capt. Chris
P.S. I just got one with my last order from the shop. I'll dig it up, when I get a chance as see if it's worth posting...CCS

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/16/09 10:34 PM

Captain,

You've been quite busy this evening. Great display of Pathfinders. This was my skinner of choice last season on my 7 point whitetail. I especially admire the Cocobolo handle and the 26/ 25 blade grind. You gotta love that blade grind if you have a pulse. Thanks for posting some really great Model 26 Randall's.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/19/09 02:08 PM

Well...I dug this 'ol "Pathfinder" out that I just picked up from the shop last week. What do ya' think?
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/19/09 02:10 PM

Other side...Photo #2
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/19/09 02:12 PM

Handle shots: Photo #3
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/19/09 02:14 PM

Photo #4: Here ya' go!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/19/09 02:16 PM

Another: Photo #5
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/19/09 02:17 PM

Photo #6:
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/19/09 02:19 PM

Almost done!! Photo #7
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/19/09 02:22 PM

All things considered, especially on such a small piece of sambar stag, I think this is a great example! Hope you agree. If you don't: You don't have to pay for the "tour"!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/19/09 02:25 PM

Now: If you folks will excuse me, I'm gonna take my "Pathfinder" and go shot it off, along with some "Beaver"!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/19/09 07:56 PM

Here's my first #26. AND my first AGM ...
Posted by: tglassco

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/19/09 08:15 PM

Tony, You're Bad, Showing that beautiful #26 with your spare blocks of AGM

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/19/09 08:20 PM

Nice knives and sheath Capt. Chris and Tony.
Thanks for taking the time to post.

It's always good to see RMK 26's!!!!!!!!!

Kevin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/19/09 08:23 PM

I know ... I'm sorry.
Posted by: tomthbomb

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 05/11/09 05:55 PM

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 05/11/09 06:53 PM

Guess I'll post a picture of my 26. It's customer supplied brown micarta with black and silver spacers, stainless blade, brass hilt and radiused butt cap. The only thing it's missing is a wrist thong.

Dan Snyder #5537

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 05/11/09 06:57 PM

Hey Tom,
You pick that beauty up on ebay a week or so ago?? I think I was watching that one.
Very Nice #26!!
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 05/11/09 06:58 PM

Dan,
That's also a beauty!! I like that brown micarta.
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 05/11/09 07:02 PM

Tom,

Nice looking 26. I'm assuming that is Westinghouse Micarta and not Yellow Paper Micarta? I still have trouble with that color but then again I'm more of a stag nut. I wouldn't mind adding that one to my collection of 26's though!

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 05/11/09 07:12 PM

Dan,

One of the few Micarta Randall's that I do have has a handle that has the same brownish color as yours and it was referred to as Green Canvas Micarta. I was told there was no mistaking Brown Micarta even though this type appears brown. Anyone disagree with that?

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 05/11/09 08:02 PM

Warren, the person that I got the knife from said he supplied the handle material to Randall when he ordered it after he found out that Brown Micarta wasn't available. He said he bought the material online. I do notice that in the top picture the handle does have a sort of greenish look, but I think it's picking up the colors from the brass hilt and butt cap. If you were to hold the knife and see it in person there's no denying it's brown in color not green.
Dan Snyder #5537

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 05/11/09 08:11 PM

Dan,

I thought so too but was told that it was Green Canvas. Don't ask me why but it looks brown. Anyway nice 26. First one I've seen set-up with that material. Check out Knife of The Week Model 20. The Captain posted a Ward Gay like mine recently that shows the Green Canvas handle material.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 05/11/09 09:01 PM

Tom and Dan,

Beautiful knives!!!!! I hope that you both enjoy your new 26's and I know that they will do everything that you ask of them.

Thanks for sharing them with us.

Kevin
Posted by: tomthbomb

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 05/12/09 09:29 AM

Quote:

Hey Tom,
You pick that beauty up on ebay a week or so ago?? I think I was watching that one.
Very Nice #26!!
Tony

Sure looks like one that was there a couple of weeks ago.

Quote:

Tom,

Nice looking 26. I'm assuming that is Westinghouse Micarta and not Yellow Paper Micarta? I still have trouble with that color but then again I'm more of a stag nut. I wouldn't mind adding that one to my collection of 26's though!

Best,
Warren

Everyone that has seen it seems to think it is the old Westinghouse.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 05/26/09 09:49 PM

Here are a couple of my new 26 friends.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 05/26/09 09:58 PM

Where in the wide, wide world did you ever have the good fortune to land that B-25 handle in musk ox!?!?!? Simply outstanding!! (and a #26 with finger gripped stag ain't no slouch either! Nice pair!!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 05/26/09 10:01 PM

doublethink98,

Since you haven't signed your posts I don't know your name but those are some really great 26's. Thank you posting some great photos and good luck to you.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 05/27/09 08:14 AM

Quote:

Where in the wide, wide world did you ever have the good fortune to land that B-25 handle in musk ox!?!?!? Simply outstanding!! (and a #26 with finger gripped stag ain't no slouch either! Nice pair!!
Best, Capt. Chris

Capt, I think you know where it came from, of course the Randall Shop! haha via you of course! Thanks again for delivering me such a great knife. I finally made Rick jealous when I showed him the knife last night. I also showed him and susan that pic of you from your younger days from your hunting forum. If you all havent seen thie picture search through the capts posts and find it.
Clay

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 05/27/09 09:37 AM

Cpt. and Clay,

Man oh Man are those a Beautiful set! First, Finger grips!!! I would give my oldest daugters car (OK, it's a high school car), for that #26! And...#25 handle with Musk-Ox--That would deserve a 2nd Mortgage! Really Really cool, nice, fantastic..SO..You think that I like it??

Kent B. Warnberg
RKS #109

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 05/27/09 09:58 AM

Clay,
The finger grips are spectacular for sure! I too would love to have one, and a model 8, with FG's!

Nice find...
~dale
Posted by: Peter_Kaufman

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 06/15/09 12:58 PM

Here is my new stag Pathfinder

Peter
Posted by: TAH

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 08/24/09 01:46 PM

Just adding mine to the line up.

Posted by: Bill_Jacobs

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 08/25/09 10:53 AM

Here's a Gary Harbour Mod 26-25 scrim of Dubie fishing in a canoe. We all thought he was in the hospital! It's a little fuzzy on purpose so you can't quite make him out.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/10/10 08:44 PM

I took some more pictures of my Pathfinder that I just received from Capt. Chris's Whitetail Hunter build.
It is tough getting the maroon to look maroon. Shells are .308 Win with Sierra 165 grain Game Kings.
Peter

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/11/10 11:46 AM

Peter,
I know what you mean about the maroon ... you have to "pump in" more light than usual to highlight the color ...
and then put a "shadow" on the blade with a hand held card of black cardboard to compensate for the bright light.
Did I make any sense??
Still ... nice photo.
How's that book?
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/11/10 02:40 PM

Hi Tony
The book is great, I have one of the original books, American Hunter, which is way out of print, that introduced me to Archibald Rutledge
Peter

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/11/10 07:16 PM

Great RMK 26 Peter.
Thanks for posting and Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin
Posted by: ObliviousFool

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 06/03/10 11:38 PM

I love 26's.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 06/04/10 01:05 AM

My Stainless #26 with Redwood burl handle and Nickel/Silver furnishing:

Posted by: pappy19

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 06/04/10 10:16 AM

Very nice #26.

Pap

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 06/05/10 08:58 AM

Oblivious,

That's a real beauty.

Thanks for taking the time to post on The Knife Of The Week.

Kevin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 06/06/10 04:32 PM

Thanks! and no worries.
Posted by: PATCH

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 06/07/10 09:20 PM

Chris,

That Redwood Burl handle is quite magnificent.

Thanks for sharing.

Scott

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 07/09/10 03:39 PM

Here's a new #26 I just received ... has a 25 handle with polished stag, SS Blade, NS Hilt, Rounded Aluminum Butt Cap, Thong.
Posted by: GCTom41

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 07/10/10 08:06 AM

Tony,

That is Randall at it's best! Love the polished stag; didn't know that was available.

The David T. Abercrombie catalog in the background what year is that from? A&F was formed in 1900; that's in some shape if it pre-dates that!

Regards,

Tom Flynn

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 07/10/10 08:55 AM

Thanks Tom!
I know polished stag is available on a #25 handle, but I don't think it can be had
any other way.
This catalog is from 1940. It is the company that David Abercrombie started
after he left Abercrombie & Fitch, due to a dispute with Fitch.
Fitch continued to run Abercrombie & Fitch.
This catalog was a gift from a Friend ... a good outdoorsman who also happens
to be the person who introduced me to Randall Knives, when we were in High School.
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 07/10/10 09:12 AM

Glad you like it Tony...and yes: You are correct in the fact that smooth / polished / dressed (whatever you want to call it) stag is available on a center for the #25, #26 or #27, "BUT" (There goes that word again)..."ONLY" as a center for the 25 styled (Trapper) handle. A #26 or #27 ordered with a full stag handle is another story. Good luck with it, Gumba!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 07/10/10 10:10 AM

Beautiful knife Tony.
Thanks for taking the time to post on The Knife Of The Week.
Kevin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 07/10/10 01:12 PM

Great knife Tony
I like the polished stag
My first model 25 is a polished stag and brass hardware, I think it may be in the 25 folder
Posted by: HALORANGER

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 07/10/10 04:34 PM

Tony that is one nice knife. I am going to add one to my collection some day. Enjoy it!
Posted by: Peter S.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 12/12/10 12:20 PM

Hereīs a pic of my Pathfinder!

Itīs a nice little user for every day!

Posted by: archdriver

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/25/11 02:47 PM

Not too fancy but a couple of knives that I own. I 've owned the 25 for several years but the 26 just picked up recently.

Posted by: Ac_85

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/11/16 10:19 AM

Here my Model #26 Pathfinder
The knife is 1996, the screamwash was made in 1997 by Fabrizio Silvestrelli (Silvester) a famous Italian Knifemaker and a member of the CIC (Corporazione Italiana Coltellinai).
Last week Silvester promise to me a LOA for that work smile

Hope you enjoy it

Posted by: Billy Poyner

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/11/16 09:49 PM

Here's a few to view...
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/13/16 03:55 PM

Model 26/25 handle Musk Ox Center, Croc Sheath
Posted by: Tattoo Bill

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/13/16 04:18 PM

Warren, What kind of equipment do you use for these incredible pictures???
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/13/16 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Tattoo Bill
Warren, What kind of equipment do you use for these incredible pictures???

Check out the archives Bill.
Warren's pictures have always been top notch !!!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/13/16 04:38 PM

Many thanks for the kind words guys. Bill, I'm not using anything professional. Since I don't have a light tent anymore I have to rely on natural light and what ever props I can dig up around the house. I wish I could find my old editing software which somehow disappeared in the storm.
Posted by: willhunt

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/23/16 10:48 AM

Here is my contribution to the thread. My latest Randall 26, in basic carbon, stag, and brass. Just what I was looking for to wear on my hip next deer season.
Posted by: TAH

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/23/16 12:13 PM

Good looking knife, Will. And that's an exceptionally nice photograph.
Posted by: Buck Buchanan

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/23/16 09:11 PM

Bill,

Look at my thread in the Picture Gallery, "How to Improve Your Knife Photos".

Mitchell, Peter, Steve and others provide insight on improving quality from either the camera or the smartphone.

Buck
Posted by: Eric

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 06/17/16 04:04 PM

My Model 26 Fighter in Ivory with Sullivan Croc Sheath

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 06/17/16 04:07 PM

Another nice one Eric!
Posted by: tunefink

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 06/17/16 04:25 PM

That is the first #26 I have seen with a double hilt. Interesting.
Posted by: GHD

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 08/10/16 04:38 PM

Picked up this early 26 from Gary Clinton, I've never seen one with this style sheath before.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 08/10/16 04:47 PM

Beautiful knife! I was admiring that one myself!

I believe it's an early Pathfinder before they became a catalog item as Model 26. Check out the blade grind on it compared to a current model.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 08/10/16 04:49 PM

Interesting Bill, I had no idea that's how they started out, thanks for your input.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 08/10/16 04:52 PM

It's the earliest of the Pathfinder sheaths as well. Great little knife!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 08/10/16 04:58 PM

I posted these somewhere on this forum a short time back. Older #21 and #26 (Pathfinder) sheaths.
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: I have (as do many that don't even know about it) some of the old blade grinds as well. There were "3" all together...CCS

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 08/10/16 05:02 PM

As always Capt, your knowledge is greatly appreciated, thanks for the info.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 08/10/16 07:45 PM

Here are a couple of mine, that I have posted elsewhere also.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 01/10/17 08:00 PM

One great 26 set up with a SFG maroon micarta handle. One of my favorite knife photos and my wallpaper.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 01/10/17 08:22 PM

That is a very keen setup on a 26. Very functional.

Pap
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 01/11/17 06:54 AM

Hello Warren, Happy New Year !!

One of the nicest set-up 26s I have seen. Good get !! cool

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 01/11/17 07:22 AM

Thanks guys. HNY back to you Mike.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 01/18/17 05:40 PM

Fossil Walrus Ivory with custom sheath

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 01/18/17 10:53 PM

Eric,

Really nice knife. Looks like a companion to the 8 you just posted.
I don't see a stamp on the sheath, any ideas?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 01/18/17 11:02 PM

Thanks Warren, Gutcher sheath, stamped inside the belt loop.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/08/17 07:14 PM

Model 26 Engraved (Unknown)

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/08/17 07:42 PM

That's a beauty!
Posted by: mic214

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/08/17 08:01 PM

Eric,

What model sheath is that? Is it a special order?

Thanks,

Mick

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/08/17 08:09 PM

Thanks TB

Mick, Could be wrong but the double stamping tells me it is a special order from Sullivan's.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/08/17 08:35 PM

Eric,

I'm pretty certain that whoever engraved this knife also did the 11-5.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/08/17 10:05 PM

Warren, think you are right.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/08/17 10:13 PM

Hilt looks to be brass, is the buttcap aluminum? Appears to be a different color.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/08/17 11:16 PM

Warren, nickel silver engraved guard, duraluminum engraved butt cap.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/08/17 11:23 PM

Ok cause it looks like brass. Thanks for the update Eric.
Posted by: Attila Mezzini

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/13/17 01:45 AM

Here's mine. Stainless blade, nickel silver hilt, maroon micarta handle, duraluminum butt cap.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/21/17 07:29 PM

Attila, Love the early #26 blade grind.

Mitchell, I wiped the verdigris off the hilt and low and behold, Brass hilt just like you said. Good eyes.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 06/14/17 04:22 PM

L.L. Bean #032 Pre-Model 26 Early Pathfinder

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 06/14/17 04:47 PM

Very nice knife TB. I sold mine a couple of years ago. It was #145

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 06/14/17 05:23 PM

You have sold a couple Eric! lol

These are all Pre-26 Pathfinders that are special in one way or the other. They are a stark contrast to my favorite model.... The Smithsonian! lol

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 06/14/17 05:40 PM

Bill,

Second from the bottom, is that ebony and fossil?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 06/14/17 05:41 PM

Buffalo Horn and FWI

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 06/14/17 07:35 PM

Thanks, like that one.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 06/14/17 08:59 PM

I have also sold #129 and #324 in recent years.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 08/06/17 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Eric
My Model 26 Fighter in Ivory with Sullivan Croc Sheath

Eric, Is this knife still in your collection?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 08/06/17 07:30 PM

Not mine anymore Tattoo Bill.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 08/06/17 10:13 PM

I have several of the L.L. Bean knives including the first one they sold which is #2. # 1 is in the Randall Museum. I will try to dig them out and take some pics.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 08/07/17 02:57 PM

This morning I got a delivery from the Captain. It consisted of a pair of Randall knives, one of which is a Model 26 that I have lusted after for quite a while.

Mine has a carbon steel blade, brass hilt, stag grip with a brass butt cap and wrist thong. This knife will be used for hunting trips out at the ranch.

I think it makes a nice companion to my other stag handled Randall, my 12-9 Bowie:

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 08/07/17 03:44 PM

Good thing I didn't open it first and see that stag! Nice knife! (Nah: I wouldn't have kept it..."but"...It's worth keeping).
Glad you like it.
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: How do you like the radiused butt cap?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 08/07/17 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
Good thing I didn't open it first and see that stag! Nice knife! (Nah: I wouldn't have kept it..."but"...It's worth keeping).
Glad you like it.
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: How do you like the radiused butt cap?

Thanks Capt!

I really like the radiused butt cap on this knife. I will have to keep that in mind for a future order of a Model 5-4 that I am thinking about!
Posted by: desert.snake

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 08/07/17 05:51 PM

Congratulations!
Very beautiful knives and photos smile

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 05/05/18 06:00 PM

Re-posting pics of my Model 26 that I got from the Capt...

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 06/14/18 06:44 AM

L.L. Bean, #003, arrived yesterday.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 06/14/18 08:25 AM

Nice. That is the second one they sold. I have 002 which s the first one they sold as 001 is at the Randall shop. May put mine up for sale soon as I have several from there.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 06/14/18 09:13 AM

Sidney, do you think the Sullivan sheath is legit? I've always seen L.L.Beans in Johnson pouch sheaths...

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 06/14/18 10:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Attila Mezzini
Sidney, do you think the Sullivan sheath is legit? I've always seen L.L.Beans in Johnson pouch sheaths...

Sheath is absolutely correct.
Very nice job!

TB

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 06/14/18 11:33 AM

Thank you Bill!!!!!
Posted by: willhunt

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/08/19 12:00 AM

Just picked this one up. After going through this entire thread of incredible Pathfinders, I have concluded that this one looks to be one of the early prototype model 26's. Stag in the middle, and I am thinking the other handle material is polished stag? Not quite sure, but it's definitely a natural material. Has a couple of hairline cracks in it, and that one mark up by the guard. And the "Loveless" style sheath is just killer.

Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 04/08/19 07:03 AM

ivory, I believe...

:-)Rocky

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 10/24/19 05:50 PM

Just in .
Posted by: BOB_TEATES

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 10/24/19 06:38 PM

Very nice; I have #113

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 10/24/19 07:13 PM

Nice LL Bean #26

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 03/13/20 02:48 PM

Off of another thread/topic I took a couple of very quick-pics but they belong here as well. This is one of my Pathfinders, dug up out of The Captain's STASH! I originally ordered this with a reduced hilt, black, pouch-style, sheath and requested no keeper strap. Greg Gutcher made this and sent it to the shop for my order...(as memory serves me). Nice rig in AGM, teardrop.
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris
Posted by: RUTROW

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 12/19/20 01:52 AM

LL BEAN

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 12/19/20 02:49 PM

And the younger brother.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 12/19/20 03:36 PM

This is the Pathfinder #26 that was stolen in the USPS Priority mail, insured for $600. Took me 3 months to get the PO to pay up, but got it done. Would have rather had the knife delivered.

Pap

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 12/19/20 05:21 PM

I got one to deliver to ya', Pappy!
Ho-Ho, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 12/19/20 05:55 PM

Yo Cap, I always knew you were Santa!!

Pap
Posted by: spark42

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 12/19/20 11:52 PM

The Capt. is Santa'a little helper!

Dennis

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 05/21/21 03:59 PM

My Model 26 L.L. BEANS ..... been growing
Posted by: The Bushman

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 09/05/21 09:45 PM

One bada$$ Pathfinder in the backwoods of the Great Land!
Posted by: Gert

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 09/08/21 10:53 AM

Ouch!! Good trousers!
Posted by: JerryG

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 26 - 02/15/23 02:24 PM

Ebay find I've wondered about since receiving. I see these being "1 of 5"? Missing signature on the COA?