PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE

Posted by: CharlesBoston

PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/01/08 11:33 AM

I have just inherited this Randall Made knife and know very little about it. I have tried looking for other pictures of the same knife to at least learn the model number but with no luck. If you have any information about this knife or perhaps may know it’s worth, I would greatly appreciate it.

What I do know is that the blade does have “Randal Made Orlando FL S” engraved on it and the blade measures at seven and a half inches.

Posted by: silverknife

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/01/08 12:54 PM

Charles, Welcome to the Randall Knife Society Forum.

Your knife is a Model #14 "Attack" with a stainless steel blade and sawteeth. The sawteeth are an option as is the stainless blade. The sheath looks like a standard "smooth button" Sullivan's Holster Shop with the correct stone. Both are correct for the knife.

Vintage is early to mid 90's. Could be later but that is a pretty popular knife so I would guess that the shop went through the smooth button sheaths pretty quickly after the change over to the logo button snaps you see on today's sheaths.

Regards, Doug
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/01/08 06:38 PM

While there are some people looking, I have a bit of a canundrum myself. This is another one of my dad's stock.
It's a #11-4.5. I would like to see if anyone can date it..is the stone correct?..micarta this early?? The sheath??
Posted by: 7033grip

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/01/08 06:52 PM

The picture isn't much help, since we can't tell if the handle is wood or brown micarta, and the spacers aren't that much in focus.

It looks like it could be in a 20 year time table, depending on the sheath being a Heiser, or a Johnson.

Dubie Baxter

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/01/08 06:59 PM

Well, I'm working on it...the darn thing says my files are too big, I'm kind of new at this, and the computer does not work the way it should!!, anyway, it's brown micarta, seven spacer....I'm trying to load a couple more shoth...thanks for the imput. Hope I can show you some more!!
:-)
Posted by: tunefink

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/01/08 08:51 PM

It looks like brown micarta and one very unusual grind and thumb notches... I would love to see some better pictures!
Posted by: Sardious

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/01/08 09:10 PM

Rocky

WOW! Nice #11-4.5! That looks like one of the original archetype designs for the #11 blade grind! And early brown micarta too, very rare specimen in that combination if you ask me!

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/01/08 10:35 PM

Thanks guy's. I've got a couple more shots I'll try to post up. The back side of the blade say's SCOUT....do not know what's that about..The stamping for the model#, and blade length on the sheath is like nothing I've seen..Kind of squared stamps...
Thanks again :-)Rocky
Posted by: tunefink

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/01/08 10:54 PM

I'm not sure that stone is original.... looks more like an early 70's stone. The brown button Johnson would likely have had a two tone gray crystalyn.... cool knife!

I had a #2-6 that was etched Scout. It had been rehandled with a piece of whitetail stag....
Posted by: tomthbomb

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/01/08 10:57 PM

I hope I'm wrong but it looks like a late night basement shop project gone extremely wrong.

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/01/08 11:20 PM

Hay Tom,
Not too sure about late night stuff...My dad was not very handy at that kind of work. While it's possible, I would doubt it...I was kind of figuring the stone might be out of place. He is bad about that(any stone at the time), when he could find one, is his motto. It's possible the blade was damaged, and returned to Randall, however It does not look like it. Another question for the ages, I guess. While ya'll are looking, here's yet another.
Thanks for the help, I'm swiming as fast as I can!:-)Rocky

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/02/08 08:12 AM

Mitchell,
Good morning, and thanks for your help so far. I took a couple more shots, and maybe the features are more vivible now, in the morning light. This "scout" thing sounds like the right path to me....I would find it hard to bleive that the knife would have been altered, however I do not know for sure, and my dad is of little help. He says NO, however that was a long ago. Take a look, and let me know what you think. If it would not be too much trouble, could you post a shot of the #2?

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/02/08 08:56 AM

Rocky,
If your dad was the original owner and did not alter it then it must be original.
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/02/08 10:02 AM

Rocky,
I normally do not voice opinions, especially without facts to back them up. This knife is bothersome. With the utmost respect to your father, I would be amazed to find out that this knife left the Randall shop in anywhere near this configuration! It has a good deal of "correct-looking" parcels, but equally as many red flags. I will not get into exact "problems" so as not to tip off the "forgers and liars" that frequently "lurk" (sometimes even "post") on this forum.
You asked for opinions and this one is mine. I believe that this knife came with the handle, spacers and sheath it is pictured with. "Other" modifications....I don't think so. Interesting knife though. Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/02/08 10:19 AM

Capt. and Tom,
Thanks for the input. I'm still holding on as origional, however you folks have seen much more than I. I will talk to him(dad) about this, and see if he has a recalection. He is just the type to hold out on me. The other day, he asked me to sell a fake $5 gold coin he had on eBay..he's just your regular old man in his 80's, remembers what ever is convenient!! Some out there, have bought some of his stuff. I've been around these knives all my life, however as a kid, did not pay much attention to them. Now that I am selling, I've become addicted...
What about the "SCOUT".....any thoughts
Posted by: BoBlade

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/02/08 10:48 AM

Good morning, Rocky.

I look at that knife and I say to myself "What other 1/4" forging could that blade have been modified from" and I come up with zilch. There's only one conclusion I can draw from that.

Best,

Ron

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/02/08 11:23 AM

Hay Ron,
Thanks for the post. I do not know what to make of it either, however I do not have the expertise. Your conclusions are a fairly simple approach, which typically work the best!! I'll bring it to BLADE, along with that #12. If you be kind enough to give them a look over, I would be greatfull.
:-)R

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/02/08 11:39 AM

Rocky,

I'm not qualifid to be able to give you an informed opinion, but there will be other people there that will be.

Best

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/02/08 12:12 PM

"I" gave an informed opinion.I guess nobody liked it. Oh well: Shoot the messenger...Best, Capt. Chris

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/02/08 12:52 PM

Cap,

I may be wrong, but I think one needs to have the knife in hand in order to be able to give an informed opinion.

Best,

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/02/08 12:59 PM

You're wright, Ron....You could be wrong.
Best, Capt. Chris
P.S. I could be wrong too, dude! CCS

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/02/08 01:25 PM

Capt,
I did like the info, thank you very much!! I think you and Tom were dead on the $!! After intense interrogation...the old man(dad) admitted that he "may" have traded for it..there goes the history. More that likely, it has been altered, however I will still hold on to a thread of hope.
The info you guys give may not fit my ideas, and hopes, however it is greatly appricated!! No one likes to hear "the knife is altered". Everybody wants to have the "find" of the week!!
Thanks guys.......still no answer on the "SCOUT" thing, even from him.
:-)R
Posted by: Don_Hedrick

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/02/08 02:49 PM

Capt. do you think it could possibly be an altered #11? Don

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/02/08 04:08 PM

At any given time anyone browsing the forum will have more knowledge of Randall Made Knives than I. It is just my opinion that neither Bo or Gary would let that go outside of the shop if it was indeed created there.

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/02/08 09:04 PM

Don,
That is exactly what it looks like. If you view the "old ones" you will see the exagerated blade, as compared to the "current" ones.
Ron (Boblade) is correct in the fact that it is, indeed, easier to have the knife in hand. That seldom happens and I seldom post up on this forum with my "opinion". There has to be fairly evident "hints' for me to do so. I am sure someone in this forum's "regulars" has an old one to post. If not, look in Gaddis' book. If someone wanted a "clip" point made out of a "drop" point...this is what they would get..along with a few too many thumb notches!!
Anyway: All's well that ends well. I will quietly slip away and try to keep my "opinions" to a minumum. Thanks to all for the (PM) and quiet support. Best, Capt. Chris

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/02/08 09:41 PM

Cap / Don,

You can't get much earlier than this one. Seems to me the spine comes off the hilt at too much of an angle on Rocky's knife to have been made from an old 11 grind. Anyway, we'll hopefully know more after Blade.

Best,
Posted by: johng

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/07/08 01:45 AM

Dear Doug,

A 14 with sawteeth looks to me to be identical to a Model 18 with sawteeth (except for the handle, of course). I would have expected the 14 blade to maintain more of its fundamental shape even with sawteeth. Can you explain the difference in the two blade shapes?

Regards, John
Posted by: silverknife

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/07/08 07:11 AM

John, There is no difference which I can see between the #18 and the #14 with teeth.

I don't know for sure why the #14 has the spear point when teeth are added, but I will take a stab (so to speak) at it.

Look at the spine of the blade on a model 14 between the hilt and the top bevel. There is only appx. 3" from the hilt to where the top bevel begins. Now remember that the teeth are the last operation before the knife is final polished, honed, and packed for shipping.

The teeth are ground into the blade, free hand, with a thin grinding wheel. I do not know the diameter of the wheel but I would guess at 6", but even if it is a 3" wheel there must be clearence between the hilt and the grinding wheel when the teeth are ground at an angle, so you can't start the teeth close to the hilt. You also can't grind into the trademark. The teeth have to begin forward of the trademark, which would leave less than 1" between the trademark and the start of the front bevel. You want a sharpened top bevel in a fighting knife.

The Model #15 grind is identical to the 14, just shorter. It also has a spear point when teeth are ground into the front portion of the blade, about 2".

If you put the teeth into the front of the #14, no sharpened top bevel...so the knife is given the spear point grind of the #18 to allow retaining the sharpened top bevel.

As I said, I don't know that that is the reason for the grind when saw teeth are put into the #14 but it makes sense to me.

Regards, Doug
Posted by: johng

Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY THIS RANDALL KNIFE - 04/08/08 03:39 AM

Dear Doug,

Thanks for the insight. Teeth or no teeth, it's still a great looking knife.

Thanks again. --John