Knife Of The Week Model 20

Posted by: vklough46

Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/24/08 09:49 AM

Thanks to all who have participated thus far.

From Randall Made Knives: The History of the Man and the Blades, by Robert L. Gaddis, pp. 165-168

Quote:

The knife design that Bo eventually standardized as his Model 20 Yukon Skinner was initiated during 1959 by Ward Gay of Anchorage, Alaska. Gay was then one of the best-known guides and bush pilots in the region.... Bo once remarked of Gay, "He ran the only big seaplane base in Anchorage. Tommy Thompson kept his plane there and flew out of there on his bush pilot trips. He was a friend of Ward Gay's."

...We do know for certain that by January 1959 Bo and Ward were in communication.... After talking about sheaths, he got down to the part of his letter that is of major interest here, the design of a new skinning knife. He described what he did and did not like about a couple of knife styles, noting that he did "like the curve and design of your knife, model number four." As his imagination warmed up, he went on, "Some day I would like you to make one of the design I have in mind. Here is the way I would like it made...."

As Ward described the knife, the blade should be "4 1/2 inches from the hilt to the tip," and he didn't want much of a notch, or cutout, ahead of the hilt. The sharp point where the cutout met the cutting edge was the real problem. As Ward explained, "When skinning, we use the full blade to skin with, and this notch catches when you're skinning and stops the knife from cutting. In other words, the corner seems to catch. I prefer not to have it on a knife."

He wanted to keep the general style of the Model 4's blade, noting "the backward curve of the blade, as you have on your model number four is the right shape for good skinning." He also indicated that there should be a serrated thumb rest on top of the blade just ahead of the hilt, and the hilt extension should be made smaller, for use with pouch-type sheaths. About the blade thickness he remarked: "The blade should not be too heavy, either, for if you use it as a knife should be used to skin with, it doesn't have to be as thick as the head of an ax in order to keep from breaking it." He then sketched his dream skinner at the bottom of the letter.

Regarding the sales potential of such a knife, Ward's opinion was that "it would sell pretty good up here, as it is about what most trappers and hunters up here desire, that is the ones who use a good knife to skin with and do not use it in place of a hatchet or ax or throwing tool."

...Bo made the notch, or cutout, much smaller than on most Randall knives and totally eliminated the sharp point, or corner. Bo explained the fabrication necessities for having at least a small dip in front of the hilt on this type of knife. To meet Ward's desires, the blade grinding differed from his usual style for hunting knives. He described it thus: "This blade will have the full bevel = keen cutting, but also makes for a more easily chipped out, thin curving edge - not suitable for bone work..."

Bo was very interested in Ward's ideas for a new-style skinner but wanted to be sure all possible requirements got incorporated into the design. Therefore, he asked Ward to look over his sketches and the info in his letter, then make a more detailed sketch of his own, and send it to Orlando. The size of the hilt extension was a point in question. Bo proposed sending the first knife at no charge, so that Ward could try it out and make any suggestions for improvements....

[Ward] liked Bo's blade shape, but he shortened the length from 4 1/2 to 4 1/4 inches and added a notation of "not too thin a bevel" on his drawing. His major specification change was a Micarta handle, curved slightly downward from hilt to butt, with four finger grooves and a thong hole. The somewhat bird's-head-shaped butt didn't allow for any butt cap.

...It wasn't until the latter half of 1963 that this knife appeared in a catalog, the sixteenth printing. At that time Randall Made Knives designated it the Model 20 and named it the "Yukon Skinner." Ward received credit in the description: "An adaptation of our Model 4 especially designed for big game purposes by Ward Gay, famous Anchorage, Alaska, bush pilot."

Lady and gentleman, may we please see some Model 20s?

Kevin
Posted by: charliedoyle

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/24/08 09:56 AM

Here is late 60's/early 70's model 20 yukon skinner black micarta, 7-spacer, 01 carbon, thumb notches and squared top brass hilt. Johnson tight stich rough back sheath w/early white stone. This was my first "vintage" randall.

Posted by: sss

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/24/08 10:09 AM

I have something to contribute since we are into the higher the model numbers.The background,my backpack,reminds me of this model,"Bad to the bone".LOL

Posted by: tunefink

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/24/08 10:15 AM

First is a old black micarta, 7 spacer with a Ward Gay handle in a JRB.

Next is a old brown micarta, 7 spacers. It is etched on the back with Tommy Bish's name. It's in a transition brown button Johnson.

Posted by: BigJim

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/24/08 10:28 AM

Great Knives Guy's!
Mitchell,Those two are Special!
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!
Posted by: Cabinet_Man

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/24/08 10:35 AM

Here's the only model 20 that I have. I really like this knife and grabbed it as soon as I saw it. It has the thick center spacer, squared top guard, and stag handle with finger grips. I'm not sure how old this knife is... dating them is still something I struggle with. When I think I have a good grasp on it, osmething throws a curve and messes with my head. (no comments needed on that one Chief-ha!)

Anyway, here are pics of both sides...
~dale

Posted by: MARK

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/24/08 10:49 AM

This is my first and so far only Randall Made Knife, although I do have another on order.
Posted by: Cabinet_Man

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/24/08 10:51 AM

rough back sheath and right side...

Posted by: RKS3500

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/24/08 11:17 AM

Super 20's there Mitchell, love the brown, here' my well used one...

Rob

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/24/08 11:22 AM

flip side...
Posted by: sss

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/24/08 12:36 PM

Mitch,this 20 with the finger grooves and the placement of the wrist thong is very cool.Could you give us a little more information.

Rob,your 20 with a different gind than current production is interesting.How about some history on this knife.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/24/08 01:39 PM

Raymond, I wish I could offer some, but I bought it of Ebay several years ago. I really had never thought about the thong hole placement. Interesting observation.

I have another old black with a Ward Gay that has the low thong as well......
Posted by: Sheldon_Wickersham

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/24/08 02:25 PM

Re. thong hole placement - fellow KTF Randall enthusiast Tom Hellmich, aka 'TAH' made an observation on thong hole placement some years back; working from memory here, I did some additional research and came to the conclusion that for the majority of standard Randall knife models with thong holes, prior to 1966 most holes were up high on the handles, and low thereafter...

Hole placement location was, of course, initially at the discretion of the individual craftsman finishing the knife, later standardized to the lowered position by sometime in the mid 1960's. As an example, the thong hole placement on our brown Micarta 'Ward Gay Special', documented as having been purchased at Northern Commercial of Juneau, Alaska in mid 1964, is centered...go figure
Posted by: 7033grip

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/24/08 06:38 PM

There's something about these old 20's that screams.....CLASSIC !!!!!

Nobody in the knife world that I know of is making anything that is so functional, yet so beautiful, today.

Bo Randall would be proud.

Dubie Baxter
Posted by: Warren_Polidori

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 01/18/09 06:50 PM

Let me explain first. You all know I'm a stag fan and a crown stag nut. No I'm not converting to Micarta but I just had to have this one. Besides I don't know how you'd make that rounded butt in anything except micarta and make it look like something. I just love this knife. Everything about it is just perfect in my eyes. This is another one of those models that has a story and a specific purpose in mind. It's definetly one that made me go wow I've gotta have that one.
Now if it only had a compass............

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 01/18/09 06:58 PM

Thanks for the post Warren.
Very nice knife and a great photo.

Kevin
Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 01/18/09 08:09 PM

NICE ONE Warren!
When you need to make room for some stag-handled beauty,
I'll take this off your hands.
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 01/18/09 08:13 PM

Tony,

Thanks, this one's a keeper for sure. I wish I had two. One for show and one for go.

Best,
Warren
Posted by: Burnie

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 01/19/09 09:00 PM

Warren, Here is a vintage model 20 "Yukon Skinner" from my collection.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 01/19/09 09:06 PM

Burnie,

Great old model 20. Love that old blade grind and spacers. Thanks for posting.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/23/09 08:00 PM

Here's a Model 20 Yukon Skinner that I just received from that on line auction house. I'm a stag purist but this is a nice package dressed in brown micarta.

Best,
Warren

Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/23/09 08:48 PM

Warren,
Looks like the "old" black to me...Nice knife!
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: mhwwlmc

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/23/09 08:53 PM

Warren,
You scored a nice #20 there. I really like the engraving "Yukon Skinner" on the blade. The original Owner had a great idea back then.
Posted by: tomthbomb

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/23/09 09:04 PM

Warren,

Give it up.

You have been bitten by the micarta bug............

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/23/09 09:06 PM

Captain,

I'll be honest. I've heard you guys discussing micarta colors in the past. You refer to this as an old black but it looks somewhat "brownish" to me. I confess that I'm not that up on micarta. Could you explain please?

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/23/09 09:08 PM

Tom,

Bitten by the micarta bug? Kevin and Tony think I've lost my mind!

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/23/09 09:10 PM

Mike,

Thanks for your generous comments. I like the engraving too.

Best,
Warren
Posted by: mhwwlmc

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/23/09 09:39 PM

Warren,
The "Old Black" Micarta has a blend of black / green / brown grain to it that will look different than the current Black Micarta, depending on the cut & grind. You need to compare this Model #20 with the current Black Micarta to see the difference. With the round handle you have the difference will not be as apparent though. It is more obvious with a Model #14 with finger grooves. Some people actually think they have "Brown" Micarta, but I am told there is no mistaking the real thing. Unfortunatly I have never handled a "Brown" yet.
BTW - I seriouly considered chasing that #20 you picked up, due to the engraving, but I got distracted from the Auction & missed the ending.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/23/09 09:46 PM

Thanks for the reply Mike. I actually just placed a bid near the end of the closing never thinking that I would win this knife. You never know, it didn't sell for much.
I'm not sure what color this is, but it looks darn good on this knife.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/24/09 09:40 AM

Warren,
YOU'RE THE KING OF CROWN!
Now you wanna be THE MICARTA MAN????
Really nice knife! That older black Micarta is cool.
When you need to make room for some more stag, you know where I live!
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/24/09 09:44 AM

Tony,

I could never be the Micarta Man. That moniker is reserved for tomthbomb.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 04/22/09 09:45 PM

Warren...and others,
Here's a Ward Gay #20 in green canvas, per your request.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 04/22/09 09:48 PM

Here's the "instantly recognizable" Ward Gay handle! I have to dig this knife out and take some better pics, along with "other" Model #20-s, but ya'll get the idea.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 04/22/09 09:52 PM

I did find one more very old photo, but I still need to "spruce" this #20 up with some better pics. Enjoy!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 04/22/09 09:53 PM

Captain,

That's the twin brother to my knife. Thanks for posting it!

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 04/23/09 05:48 PM

Well: I didn't find "that" one readily, but I did find "this" one!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 04/23/09 05:50 PM

Here's the starboard side. Great, amber stag!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 04/23/09 05:52 PM

Without the NHS (no hone sheath). All brass hardware, stainless, thumb notches...
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 04/23/09 05:56 PM

Great Model 20 Captain. Gotta love that stag and fingergrips.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 04/23/09 06:04 PM

Here's some better shots of the handle, Warren!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 04/23/09 06:07 PM

The other side ain't bad!...and this knife came out quite recently, within the past month!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 04/23/09 06:09 PM

The brass butt plate can be seen better here:
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 06/07/09 06:18 PM

Another gem from this years Blade Show. I was lucky to find this unblemished 80's Yukon Skinner in ivory with a brass hilt and a smooth brass coolie cap. This one may have a scrim in its future.

Best,
Warren

Posted by: Burnie

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 06/07/09 06:34 PM

Great knife Warren!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 06/07/09 06:37 PM

Warren,
Thin red,white,blue,white,red date back to mid 70's. Granted, with no color turning this knife looks to be 80's, but the sheath, if all is original to the knife, which it appears to be, could date earlier?? Nice knife, damn, boy: Ya' did some serious shoppin' at "Blade", didn't ya'?
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 06/07/09 06:44 PM

Captain,

Yes I did have some fun. Thanks for the correction. This was another of those finds???

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 06/07/09 06:51 PM

Warren...Buddy:
It's not a "correction". It's just a distinct possibility. Just remember I was attemtping to "add" value to your Blade show treasures. The next time...Don't shoot the messenger if it goes the "other" way!! Ya' done good, dude! I take it you will be back at the "Blade" show next year??
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 06/07/09 08:01 PM

Captain,

Back next year for sure. Thanks again for the help.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 06/07/09 08:27 PM

Very nice knife Warren.
I have been taking scrimshaw lessons this could be my first project. What do you think??????????????

Thanks for the post.

Kevin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 06/07/09 08:30 PM

Kevin,

So you've been practicing your Morse Code?????????????

Best,
Warren
Posted by: tglassco

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 06/07/09 08:40 PM

Warren,

Your knife can be the First in Kevin's Wild Animal Series

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 06/07/09 08:53 PM

Tom,

At least it's a Rebublican

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 06/07/09 09:02 PM

Tom,

Kevin
Posted by: Ausblade

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 07/20/09 01:45 AM

A new one just arrived.
Maroon Micarta with finger grips

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 07/20/09 08:31 AM

Graham,
That is a simply beautiful #20!
Those finger grips are great looking AND functional.
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 07/20/09 05:06 PM

Graham,

Good on ya mate.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 07/20/09 08:03 PM

Nice knife Graham!!!!!!!!!
Will it be coming to the USA?

Kevin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 07/21/09 02:57 PM

Here's a little more recent one. It went in the safe within the past year or so.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 07/21/09 02:59 PM

Sorry for the "glare". Try this...
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 07/21/09 03:19 PM

Hey Captain,
Really nice amber stag! Too bad you're not that fond of the amber stuff.
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 07/21/09 05:02 PM

Captain,

You get all the good amber stag knives

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 07/21/09 08:22 PM

Nice Model 20 Capt. Chris.
A real beauty!!!!!!!!!

Kevin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 01/01/10 06:17 PM

Here's another one I was able to snag a while back. After looking at the last one Capt Chris posted for a while, it got the #20 juices flowing again... Happy New Year!

Rob

Posted by: pappy19

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 01/01/10 08:57 PM

Very nice "Snag" you got there. Droooool!!

Pap

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 01/02/10 12:06 PM

Thanks Pap! Sent you a pm on Ruana knives.

Rob
Posted by: Peter_Kaufman

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 05/11/12 09:08 PM

I just received this model 20 Yukon Skinner today, I don't have my light box up yet as I need some electrical outlets in the basement first.
Options are shop ironwood, stainless steel, square top hilt, brass and black spacers, model 22 handle with crows beak, wrist thong and waxed left hand sheath.
I really love the way it turned out and want to thank the guys in the shop.
I do like ironwood smile

Peter

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 05/11/12 09:47 PM

That's a good one Peter, nice set up...

Rob
Posted by: HALORANGER

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 05/12/12 07:39 AM

Very nice Peter. I like the all brass with wood. Thanks for sharing.
Posted by: Steven

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 05/12/12 09:35 AM

Peter
I heard somewhere that you may like Ironwood. That is nice wood on that model 20. The shop has some nice looking Ironwood. Another very nice knife.
Posted by: jubela#4

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 03/21/14 11:13 AM

Here is a model 20 I picked up a few years ago. It is standard configuration but very nice.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 03/22/14 04:56 PM

NICE! A Classic!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 09/13/14 12:35 PM

I normally prefer shaped handles but couldn't be more happy for the way these turned out, elephant and snakewood. As always, my best to the crew at the shop.

Rob

Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 09/13/14 04:17 PM

Good job. I always prefer a rounded buttcap over the standard "whacked off" look.
Posted by: crutchtip

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 09/14/14 10:17 AM

Early brown
Posted by: Aurevoir Gopher

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 09/25/15 01:23 PM

Mine.

Posted by: GHD

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 10/26/15 10:15 PM

Just picked up this older model 20, not sure of the age, but in great condition.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 10/26/15 10:31 PM

Very early 90's..... it's in a smooth back Johnson sheath. NICE.....
Posted by: GHD

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 10/26/15 10:42 PM

Thanks for the info,I appreciate it,always nice to get all the info I can.
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/27/16 01:44 PM

Here's a 80's Model 20, stainless, brass square hilt, polished stag, wt, JRB loose stitch sheath. Sure do miss the polished stag option.

Posted by: Tattoo Bill

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/27/16 02:52 PM

One of my 2015 Fall Shop Sale Acquisition's.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/27/16 03:39 PM

Bill,

Was the sheath part of the package? I wonder if that was customer supplied crown stag. Nice dark color and a big piece too.
Posted by: Whiteman

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/27/16 03:48 PM

Great looking 20 Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/27/16 03:52 PM

Thanks Randy. It's one of only two polished stag knives I have. If you got em hold onto them, it's no longer an option except on a 25 handle.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/27/16 04:50 PM

Thanks Warren. No, the sheath was designed and purchased separately after I received it. I went to see Greg and match up the pattern and colors exactly. He knocked it out of the park!

I'm not sure about where the crown stag came from, but they have said that they will mess around with the dye for premium stag when they have the time. Another one knocked out of the park! lol

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/27/16 04:54 PM

Here is another Model 20 (and 21) that I grabbed up from the Fall Shop Sale as well.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/27/16 04:58 PM

Warren, There is a polished stag Model 2-7" at the gun and knife show that I'm attending this week, but the gent is asking steep dollars for it..... Of course, he keeps telling me to make him an offer on it, but you know how folks get their feelings hurt so quickly.....lol
Posted by: Chief

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/27/16 06:05 PM

Can't you supply polished stag?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/27/16 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Chief
Can't you supply polished stag?

I guess you still can but not shop supplied.
Posted by: Whiteman

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 06/16/16 05:56 PM

Ward Gay from Blade.

Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 06/16/16 06:04 PM

Congrats on "wining" such a fantastic knife Randy!!! whistle
Posted by: Buck Buchanan

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 06/16/16 06:53 PM

Dang, Randy. Yours arrived before mine did.

We are lucky to have the "only two poker games in town" or at least the USA.

Mine arrived today at the wrong street address. Fortunately, I know the owners of both stores. Instead of delivering to 5301 Bragg Blvd, it was delivered to 5103 Bragg Blvd.

"Luck of The Draw" Actually!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 06/16/16 07:08 PM

I have been at the Randall shop (and museum) most of the day. Great visit as always. Gary gave the "nod" on my photos but I still have more surprises for ya'll at a later date. Good things coming out of that little knife shop!
In the meantime, here's a couple to share.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 06/16/16 07:10 PM

These photo's DO NOT SUCK!!!!!!
Thank you Captain Chris
Posted by: Cut it out

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 06/16/16 08:02 PM

That's a great looking Ward knife!! I usually am not a fan of them but on that 20 it looks great.
Posted by: Wally

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 06/16/16 08:11 PM

Yep, lucky dawg, I think Randy didn't realize he'd won something! I'm gonna "win" one in about 7 months... Sweet package!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 06/16/16 09:25 PM

Ok was I asleep at Blade? Didn't know there was a drawing for the 20.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 06/16/16 09:31 PM

It happened at the RKCC meeting, you won the right to buy 1 of the 2 they had there.
Posted by: LarryWW1246

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 06/16/16 10:56 PM

Capt. Chris--

Maybe you could whisper to Jason to make another "mistake" in Stainless?

Larry
Posted by: Eric

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 11/14/16 11:46 AM

Posted this one in the CW thread, thought I would add it here too.

Model 20 with SS blade. Killer Whale tooth handle with Sullivan hone sheath.
Posted by: TAH

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 11/14/16 11:49 AM

Eric,

That handle really goes with that blade shape. Super stuff!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 11/14/16 01:08 PM

I really need that one transferred to my Ivory safe Eric! lol

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 11/14/16 01:30 PM

TB, I have no doubt it will one day reside in your copious amount of Ivory safes.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/02/17 04:43 PM

Just in from the Shop. Had to have both.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/02/17 05:09 PM

"Anything worth doin, is worth doin RIGHT."

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/02/17 05:33 PM

Good call Eric, sweet!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/02/17 05:54 PM

Thanks gentlemen, I love that RMK brought this #20 handle style back. Gary Clinton exceeded my expectations in getting these to me.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/02/17 06:19 PM

We can only hope that further options like stainless, hilt options and spacers become a reality. For now, be happy you got the handle back.
Posted by: oldguy

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/02/17 06:25 PM

Mine showed up Monday. Love the handle. oldguy

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/02/17 06:53 PM

Sexy handles!
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/03/17 11:44 AM

TTB!!! don't mention the "I" word on this site...somebody will have a heart attack!!!

:-)Rocky

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/03/17 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: thevalueman
TTB!!! don't mention the "I" word on this site...somebody will have a heart attack!!!

I hope somebody nearby them knows CPR! lol

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/03/17 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Tattoo Bill
Originally Posted By: thevalueman

I hope somebody nearby them knows CPR! lol

Or maybe their kids will sell us their knives if they fall out and can't be revived!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/03/17 08:52 PM

That really is an amazing collection Bill. That would be a true "one-off" set.
Hurry up and put them back in the safe. whistle

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/03/17 09:15 PM

Already on lockdown Warren!
Posted by: GCTom41

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 02/06/17 07:26 AM

Bill,

Great set!!!!!

Tom Flynn
Posted by: Art DeCamp

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 03/09/17 02:35 PM

I just received this Ward Gay Model 20 yesterday, thanks to Capt. Chris. My new "favorite" Randall!
Posted by: Jay G

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 03/09/17 03:38 PM

Great knife Art! I have not held a Ward Gay style handle, but look forward to it one day... Is that a maroon micarta handle?

Have a good day,

Jay

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 03/10/17 10:44 PM

Glad you like it Art.
Jay: Yes: Maroon.
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Holzinger258

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 03/15/17 02:49 PM

Just got it.
Love it!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 03/23/17 07:46 AM

Picked up an extra sheath for my Model 20, pouch style sheath from Sullivan's.
Posted by: GCTom41

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 03/23/17 07:58 AM

Eric,

Great sheath!

Tom Flynn

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 03/23/17 08:57 AM

YES! COOL SHEATH!

Hey Cap ... I think I'll be calling you soon!

grin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 03/23/17 10:47 AM

I'm ready to hear from ya'.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 03/23/17 03:47 PM

Thanks Tom and Tony, Danny does a great job of making sheaths I gotta have.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 06/30/17 04:30 PM

63-65 Brown Micarta Ward Gay.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 06/30/17 04:54 PM

Nice one Bill.
Posted by: Ronnie

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 07/01/17 04:05 AM

Very nice.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 11/24/18 09:55 PM

From the introduction to the "Knife of the week thread", and from Gaddis...
"As Ward described the knife, the blade should be "4 1/2 inches from the hilt to the tip," and he didn't want much of a notch, or cutout, ahead of the hilt. The sharp point where the cutout met the cutting edge was the real problem. As Ward explained, "When skinning, we use the full blade to skin with, and this notch catches when you're skinning and stops the knife from cutting. In other words, the corner seems to catch. I prefer not to have it on a knife."

All of the "original", or early Ward Gay model 20s pictured in this thread (for arguments sake, lets say all 7 spacer knives) are true to Ward Gays requirements laid out in the above paragraph. There is no "point" or "catch" forward of the hilt on the cutting edge. This was pretty much Ward Gay's only "don't" in the design. It seems that the grind, shape, or style of blade morphed away from that, later examples in roughback sheathes show the progression back to a full choil, and the recently re-introduced Ward Gay #20 sports a full choil.

I'm betting there's an explanation for why this is done, the manufacturing process isn't conducive to the different grind, or some other reason. So, can someone "in the know" offer up the reasoning behind moving away from Ward Gay's original intent for the model 20? Just curious...

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 11/24/18 10:27 PM

Wally,

IIRCC, GTR put a stop on Ward Gay handles when they started showing up on many different models never intended before.
Not getting into it more than that.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 11/24/18 10:33 PM

Warren, I remember the reasons behind stopping the handle design production, I'm more curious about why the choil made it's way into the model 20. Ward Gay asked that it be omitted, allowing for the skinning motion to be un-interupped by the corner of the choil. At some point, apparently after a decade or so of production, the choil made it's way into the design. I'm wondering why?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 11/24/18 11:26 PM

Sorry Wally I mis-read your post. Same can be said for early 11's and 19's. All had a rounder, softer corner IMO.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 11/25/18 11:59 AM

New (to me) model 20, courtesy of H&M knife purveyors grin
Posted by: Boomer51

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 11/25/18 12:39 PM

Great find Wally, it looks great - hope to find one like that some day. I have it's cousin in a Rosewood handle.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 11/25/18 01:09 PM

Nice one Dwight!
This one is in the museum, low S and a straight handle, like yours. The low S would indicate 63/64 production. The model 20 first appeared in the 1963 catalog with the standard model described as a straight leather handle. The "Ward Gay" model was pictured then and for several years after in the catalog as an upgrade, and was first called the "Ward Gay special" in the 1965 catalog.
Posted by: crutchtip

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 11/25/18 01:41 PM

Here is a photo of a brown Ward Gay I used to have.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 11/25/18 01:53 PM

That's killer. Do you recall if it was laminated, or one piece?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 11/25/18 02:46 PM

Great get Wally on the Real McCoy.
Posted by: Lori

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 10/22/20 07:33 PM

Ken Lambert has added another Model 20 to his collection. He won the material in 2019 before Blade Show and he decided to build him a Model 20 with G-10 NASA green. It is a beauty! Sorry I don't have a Professional Photo, but I took this picture at the AGCA Gun & Knife Show.
Posted by: BladesNBarrels

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 10/23/20 10:48 AM

Shore looks like a purfessional foto to me!
Thank you for posting.
Posted by: coachblalock

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 10/23/20 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: BladesNBarrels
Shore looks like a purfessional foto to me!
Thank you for posting.

Me too !!!
Posted by: Duke

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 11/22/20 01:00 AM

Well, once again the fall stock sale was very good to me. And this week what a wonderful surprise to open my mailbox and recognize that familiar RMK shipping box. This #20 has a really great looking amber stag grip that I swear was made to fit MY hand, no matter how I want to hold it. This sweet blade will be carried to do it all....not just the skinning next hunting season. And, if I’m lucky, perhaps a few days this year. Needless to say I’m really pleased.
Posted by: coachblalock

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 11/22/20 11:50 AM

Good get !!!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 11/22/20 03:46 PM

That's a Dandy, for sure Duke!! Hope you get some blood on it.

Pap
Posted by: eLarry

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 07/06/21 08:48 PM

This is a model that was off my radar and seems to not get a lot of love. However, had a chance to get my hands on this one. I could not be more impressed with this grind. What amazing fit and finish by the Randall team.
Posted by: KENKAN

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 07/06/21 09:19 PM

One of my all-time favorite Models been using one since 1965.
Great game knife for most purposes especially skinning.
Enjoy my friend.

Ken Lambert
RKCC CM-020 RKS #3610
NRA Benefactor
FOP
AGCA Life Member
Member TACA
Posted by: nate-dogg

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 07/07/21 12:35 AM

That's a sweet looking knife

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 07/07/21 12:44 AM

Pete Hamilton's favorite Randall, and he had a custom neck sheath. That's a great looking user.

Pap
Posted by: Duke

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 07/07/21 11:20 AM

Really great looking one Larry!
I really had no idea that I’d love my #20 as much as I do…..just can’t tell how good, perfectly balanced, easy to carry one is until in my hand. It’s now skinned easily and wonderfully two does and one big Holstein heffer…..amazingly slick and easy. Plenty fast too, although if I can still feel my fingers I don’t get in a speed contest with sharp things.
Also amazed at how well it worked up two big salt-cured (the only way) Easter country hams…..sliced paper thin for the biscuits and post Sonrise Service feed. The blade grind for slicing and keen edge retention are outstanding.
So for the remainder of 2021….the hunting, fishing, camping, whatever, day-to-day carrying cutting it’ll be on my hip. Of course I’ll most likely have my #8-old style &/or #28 close by.
Posted by: Holzinger258

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 07/07/21 08:09 PM

Gave away mine to my grandson--then I went out and bought a Ward Gay because I missed it.
Posted by: Billy Poyner

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 07/08/21 01:39 PM

Here's one of my favorite 20's SS-NS1-BA spcr-Stag-NSBP
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 07/14/22 02:48 PM

USPS man dropped my first #20 off today. Of course it's a Ward Gay. smile

I ordered this in Feb of 2017. IIRC the Ward Gay non-catalog knives were announced in the 2016 RKCC meeting.

I'm a big fan of that "model 6"-style blade grind. This thing is quite neat.
Posted by: Shoot870p

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 07/15/22 12:31 PM

Rob, very nice catch right there! I “want” one of these but really have no idea why.
Looks great.
Walker
Posted by: Kirko

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 07/16/22 05:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Windsor
USPS man dropped my first #20 off today. Of course it's a Ward Gay. smile

I ordered this in Feb of 2017. IIRC the Ward Gay non-catalog knives were announced in the 2016 RKCC meeting.

I'm a big fan of that "model 6"-style blade grind. This thing is quite neat.
that is nothing short of terrific !
Posted by: Boomer51

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 07/23/22 09:45 PM

Nice looking WG, Rob. The Ward Gay’s just feel great in the hand.
Here’s it’s grandpa from the 60’s.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 20 - 07/23/22 09:55 PM

Nice one!!

Pap