Knife Of The Week Model 15

Posted by: vklough46

Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/20/08 09:19 AM

Thanks to all who have participated thus far. Last week we were fortunate enough to see quite a few beautiful examples of Randall Model 14s. I appreciate everyone who takes the time to post.

From Randall Made Knives: The History of the Man and the Blades by Robert L. Gaddis, pp. 139-141

Quote:

Two U.S. Marine Corps officers attached to the Marine Corps Equipment Board at Quantico, Virginia, read and reread the True Magazine article with a real professional interest. To Lt. Col. H. Ross Jordan and Maj. Harold N. "Tex" Mehaffey, both pilots with long combat records, the information about Bo Randall and his ability to design and produce top-quality knives was the answer to their quest for a first-class survival knife.

Experience in World War II and the Korean War had convinced them that pilot and other air crewmen of all services needed a really first-rate survival knife tailored to the unique requirements of fliers. Talking it over, they decided that this guy in Orlando was the one who could supply answers to their questions and that they had best get in touch with him right away.

[In their initial correspondence they asked for Bo's assistance and began to discuss the needed features.]

First, it could be no more than 10 inches in overall length and must have a sheath capable of being worn on the leg or upper arm. Second, and most important, it had to be extremely strong -- strong enough to pry open a stuck canopy or aircraft hatch....

[It wasn't long before the two military men were flying to Orlando to meet with Bo.]

Then it was on to Bo's den for some serious, detailed discussion about the design of this survival knife to be made especially for American airmen. The strength requirement had been stressed in their previous letter, but the marines reiterated the point. Their knife should be strong enough to pry open a stuck canopy so that the pilot could exit rapidly from the aircraft after a sudden and unscheduled landing. If that didn't work, it then had to be capable of smashing Plexiglass or chopping and cutting through the aluminum aircraft skin. After the pilot was out, this prybar had to become his all-around survival knife. And it could be no more than 10 inches in overall length! On top of all that, the design must be able to be produced in large quantities and made standard issue.

Bo had given considerable thought to the problem of strength and had come up with a plan, which would also lend itself well to mass production. He began to sketch out his idea on paper. Starting with the general lines of his well-proven Model Number 1 Fighter, he shortened the blade and made it wider. He also changed the grind lines some so as to leave the maximum amount of full 1/4-inch-thick steel in his prybar of a blade. But the breaking point of most knives, when used as a prying tool, was the thin tang through the handle. They usually broke or bent right at the hilt. This new Randall would therefore have a very wide tang of full 1/4-inch-blade-stock thickness and would extend completely through the handle, thus achieving maximum strength from tip to butt....

...Because an airman would probably be wearing thick gloves while prying, smashing, or cutting with this knife, it needed a hilt and handle adapted for such use. The double-guard hilt was made larger than the Model Number 1 Fighter's, so that a gloved hand wouldn't have any chance of slipping up onto the sharp edge....

They addressed the handle shape, attachment, and method of fabrication from a number of perspectives. Foremost in their thoughts was the vision of a very excited airman using this survival tool with gloved hands. He must be given the firmest possible grip. It was also apparent that the big, strong tang would make the handle walls considerably thinner than those of the regular Randall line. Bo suggested using finger grips shaped into the handle, similar to those ground into some of his stag handles as an extra feature....

The final touch to their brainstorming and sketching session concerned the butt end. They let the tang protrude through the handle sleeve, rounded it off, and presto--a fine Plexiglass smasher right there on the handle's end. A hole in this tang extension allowed for a wrist thong, if the user desired.

Bo developed several prototypes, but due to reassignment of Jordan and Mehaffey, the design was never adopted as standard issue for the Marines.

Lady and gentlemen, may we please see some Model 15s?
Kevin
Posted by: Cabinet_Man

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/20/08 10:36 AM

Here's a couple for lookin'. One's a standard catalog version, and the other a clip point with green micarta.
~dale

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/20/08 10:38 AM

Posted by: silverknife

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/20/08 10:55 AM

Model #15 CDT, with nickel silver hilt, aluminum and red spacers and I'm not sure what the wood is, picked it up about 10 or more years ago:

My duty #15 in a riveted sheath by Greg Gutcher. The embedment is a coxswain's device:

Model #15 I'm working on for a Marine-Etching done at the Randall Shop:

Regards,
Doug
Posted by: Burnie

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/20/08 11:22 AM

Here is my model 15 Vietnam era, 01 carbon, unlined thong hole and JRB riveted sheath. Burnie
Posted by: tomthbomb

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/20/08 11:36 AM

A #15 dressed up like a short, stout #1.

Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/20/08 12:56 PM

A recent acquisition!
CDT, single hilt, thumb notches.
Can't wait to take it into the woods!!
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/20/08 12:59 PM

Hey Tom,
I like the look of that baby! Something you don't see often.
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/20/08 01:03 PM

Tony,
Nice 15.
What is the grip material?
Posted by: Steven

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/20/08 01:06 PM

Coxswains medal! My gosh you stud. Oh, maybe I don't have that right. I get confused easily. That may not be what I thought it was. Very nice knives none the less.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/20/08 01:58 PM

Tom,
it's brown micarta. Had this knife at the shop recently for a sheath fitting
and Gary said it was probably customer supplied.
Tony
Posted by: Rick_Bowles

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/20/08 08:33 PM

I had this model #15 CDT made especially for a one-off STS-107 memorial piece. It's hard to believe we're coming up on the fifth anniversary of the Columbia tragedy.
Posted by: BigJim

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/21/08 10:53 AM

Two Vietnam Era Tenites,Solingen & Orlando Blades.
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!
Posted by: BigJim

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/21/08 10:59 AM

Pair of Vietnam Era Airman.Solingen & Orlando Blades.
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!
Posted by: Guido_Bitossi

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/21/08 12:21 PM

Mod. 14 & 14 Old yella'

Bottom
Mod. 14 & 15 pair
New blades but 30 years old....old brown micarta handles

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/21/08 04:15 PM

Guido,
That's some beautiful yellow (or gold), and I really like that plate a lot. I can see it embedded flush into a piece of wood... maybe into a solid handmade door leading to the "knife room".
~dale
Posted by: Holzinger258

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/22/08 11:44 AM

Here are two: an old one...

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/22/08 11:46 AM

...and a new one.
-Steve
Posted by: BOB_TEATES

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/22/08 12:23 PM

leather finger grips,black spacers.
Posted by: Ausblade

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 04/21/08 05:07 AM

This one just arrived CDT green canvas micarta and brass rounded butt cap
Posted by: 7033grip

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 04/21/08 08:06 AM

Aus, that is a really nice combination of materials and colors...Great choice !!!

Dubie Baxter

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 04/21/08 09:17 AM

Hey Graham,
I agree with Dubie...
VERY NICE!!!
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 10/31/08 01:03 PM

15, N/S forward curved double hilt, alum/black spacers, stag handle, alum crow's beak butt cap.

Posted by: New2Randalls

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 02/20/09 02:52 PM

Just picked this 15 up. I haven't seen this configuration before: leather model 22 handle with crows beak butt cap and thong hole. Just need to pickup a sheath and it's good to go.

Dan Snyder #5537
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 02/20/09 04:51 PM

Nice find; looks like a good user too.
Posted by: Topos

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 02/20/09 06:58 PM

Kevin,
I am not sure that if I posted this particular #15.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 02/21/09 09:27 AM

John,
Thanks for taking the time to post a very well dressed RMK 15.
Did you have a special sheath made?

Kevin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 02/21/09 09:56 AM

Kevin,

This #15 came with the regulation sheath. My exotic sheaths such as the elephant, snake, ostrich, gator, hides are additions to the regular 'display' knives. For example for my 1968 #2 - 8" SS I got an elephant sheath as it compliments the design. For my TC along with the sheath I posted I go an ostrich and 'user'.

It was a terrible day when I discovered that Guthcher produced Randall authorized exotic sheaths. The rareness and beauty of some of them 'forced me against my will' to get variations for the same knife.

Being a purist I have keep my first pair of 1960 #1 & #2 - 8" leather commando handled with their original Heisser 'user' sheaths. I would cringe at putting them in an 'epicene' fancy dancy sheath.

The only sheath I will never buy is a zebra skin. My particular visual system reacts negatively to the zig zags and colors. Collecting Randalls and specialized Guthcher sheaths is wonderfully personal to each of us. This should please Obama the Munificent: we Randall collectors are PUTTING SKIN IN THE GAME.

Best weekend to you.

John K. RKS #5384

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 02/21/09 10:08 AM

As for longbows, there is a great book I am reading by Bernard Cornwell "Agincourt"

The battle of Agincourt (Azincourt was and remains the French spelling): Agincourt, Battle
in northern France in 1415 during the Hundred Years War, in which the English under Henry V defeated a large French army. The victory, achieved largely by use of the longbow, allowed Henry to occupy Normandy.

I presume that you know that the last time the longbow was used in combat to kill an enemy was at the beginning of WW II when the British Olympic Archery Champion killed a German soldier at Normandy during the evacuation of Dunkirk, as he was hidden in a barn.

Cromwell has written a few other books with the longbowmen as heros.

Best.
Posted by: Condor

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 02/21/09 10:33 AM

Curiously, the origin of the upraised middle finger as an invective dates to Agincourt as well. You see, the French used to cut that finger off when they captured archers. (Kind of hard to shoot a longbow without that finger.) Displaying the finger proved that men were still intact and capable of fighting.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 02/21/09 02:27 PM

Dan,
I saw that knife and almost clicked the button on it myself. I personally love the look of the 15 (and some other knives that normally come with a double hilt) when they have a single guard on them. It would be a very useful knife for things I do in that config. Congrats on a nice addition.
~dale

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 02/21/09 06:33 PM

Dale, thanks, the leather #22 handle and crows butt cap with thong hole is what drew me to this particular knife. There seems to be lots with black micarta and finger grooves, but I don't see many in this configuration. I going to send it to Gutchers shop and have him make a model A sheath for it, I think this is going to be my new camp knife, so I don't think a traditional model C sheath is necessary. I really like that stag on that 12-9 you posted.
Dan Snyder #5537
Posted by: lunde

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/07/09 11:13 AM

Here is my first #15, with Stainless Steel Blade w/Thumb Notches, White Micarta Border Patrol handle, and Nickel Silver Single Hilt with Squared Top.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/08/09 09:37 AM

Ken,
Another Winner! Excellent "Camp Knife"!
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/08/09 11:28 AM

Ken,

Beautiful knife and a great photo.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Kevin
Posted by: Warren_Polidori

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/08/09 12:13 PM

Ken,

Great looking knife and nicely tricked out too. I agree with Tony that it would make a good camp knife. Good job!

Best,
Warren
Posted by: silverknife

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/08/09 01:12 PM

Almost forgot about this stainless Solingen #15 CDT with brown Micarata, brass hilt, spacers, and butt plate, thong hole, and border patrol handle.

Regards,
Doug

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/08/09 02:23 PM

Hey Doug,
That's too nice of a Randall to forget about. Send it to me and I'll remember it
for you, often!
Tony
Posted by: Peter_Kaufman

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/15/09 01:04 PM

Here is my new 15 set up as a camp knife, single nickel silver hilt, thumb notches, orange G10.
I was motivated by Ken's similar knife to snag this one

Peter

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/15/09 01:18 PM

Peter,
GREAT "CAMP" 15.
GREAT "KAYAK" 15.
GREAT "CANOE" 15
GREAT ... 15!
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/15/09 01:39 PM

Thanks Tony
Since the shop doesn't want to work with G10 I saw this and couldn't resist. I think it will be my new woods knife.

Peter

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/15/09 08:09 PM

Hey Peter,

Very functional user. I'd like to see a compass added to round out a very nice knife that could be used for a variety of outdoor activities. I agree with my NY Goomba, Tony on his assessment. Good luck to you and thanks for posting your knife. Very

Best,
Warren
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/15/09 09:16 PM

Warren,
I agree this a great #15 "user", "BUT" (There that word is again)...You can't have a compass in a #15, with exposed tang, which it looks like this one is?? Can't tell for sure from the pics, but it has the look of a #15 standard and not a "CDT".
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/16/09 07:27 AM

Capt. Chris and others
My new 15 is not a cut down tang, so no compass. It came with a green paracord wrist thong, but I had the orange cord, so I put that on.

Peter

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/16/09 07:47 PM

Great Model 15's Ken, Doug, and Peter.
Thanks for taking the time to post all are beautiful examples of RMK craftsmanship.

Kevin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/20/09 12:51 PM

A couple more shots of my #15:

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/20/09 01:30 PM

Ken ... COOL!
White Micarta? - Linen or paper??
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/12/09 12:56 PM

Had it for sale, turned into a keeper.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/12/09 04:11 PM

Ken and Tom,

I had to put on a pair of Ray Bans to view your knives. Those handles are bright white!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Both great knives and thanks to both of you for taking the time to post.

Kevin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/21/09 05:30 PM

Here's my #15, "Camp Knife".
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/21/09 05:34 PM

Opposite side (handle).
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/21/09 05:44 PM

Captain,

Tony is leaving Aug 8th for Maine on a canoe camp trip. Why not let him take that one for a spin and see if it really works as a camp knife!

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/21/09 10:01 PM

Hey Captain,
Maybe we could do a temporary trade!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/21/09 10:14 PM

Tony,

Good idea, give him the book for the knife

Best,
Warren
Posted by: TAH

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/28/09 02:43 PM

Recently purchased this Model 15 hybrid from a RKS member. I call it a #15/18 "Airman/Survival". This is one cool little knife!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/28/09 05:33 PM

That is a really cool version. Lucky fellow.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 02/13/10 05:45 PM

I like the single guard and finger grips on this one!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 02/13/10 06:11 PM

I like that single hilt Tom.
Thanks for taking the time to post on The Knife Of The Week.

Kevin

John 6:46

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 02/20/10 11:32 AM

I DO TOO!!!!!!!

Nice one Tom!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/04/10 01:28 PM

Here are some better snapshots of my #15 with Single Hilt (Nickel Silver with Squared Top), Thumb Notches, and White Micarta handle in Border Patrol shape.

Here is a photo of it in its black no-hone sheath:

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/05/10 01:53 AM

I agree with you about the #15 with nickel silver single hilt, light-colored micarta, black no-hone sheath. A great combination!
Posted by: Tom_D

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/05/10 11:14 PM

Very nice model #15's.

Thanks for taking the time to post on The Knife Of The Week.
Posted by: Litch

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/06/10 04:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Holzinger258
I agree with you about the #15 with nickel silver single hilt, light-colored micarta, black no-hone sheath. A great combination!

Steve,

that is a good looking knife with very nice micarta!
And I'm a fan of no-hone sheaths as well smile

Peter
Posted by: TAGannon

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 10/26/10 12:08 AM

The knife fairy arrived today. I wanted a 15 for awhile, but, did not want a knife that is too heavy. With this being a CDT, I thought it would feel better. Well, let me tell you, it feels great. I can't wait to take it into the woods and put it to use. I think I'm on love.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 10/26/10 09:10 AM

GREAT LOOKIN' #15!
The single hilt set up make s a really good camp knife.
I've used my single hilt #15 camping, canoeing, snowshoeing, you name it!
Enjoy,
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 10/26/10 10:42 AM

What's the difference in the #15 CDT with a single hilt and a #5 with the same blade length?

Pap

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 10/26/10 11:05 AM

The top edge of the 15 is sharpened where it is not on the 5. Also, the grind lines on the top go to the hilt on the 5, where there is more flat spine on the 15. Blade width of 5 is 1 1/16" and on the 15 is 1 1/4". The 15 comes with a cooler sheath as well.

Here are comparison shots.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 10/26/10 11:19 AM

That's a great looking #15: Congrats!
And interesting as well: I also have been thinking about getting a #15 CDT with a single hilt for a while. Because I'm concerned about the weight too.
Would ironwood make it even lighter? Or maybe even too light on the handle = blade heavy?? confused

Anyhow: I think it begs to be used wink

Best, Peter

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 10/26/10 11:21 AM

This one will get used. The balance is great. I like the balance better than the 5-5 I recently got with the brown Micarta handle and Nickel butt and guard.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 10/26/10 11:35 AM

Model #5's can be ordered with a top bevel sharpened and a Model "C" styled sheath. The nickel silver butt cap on your model #5 will prove to make the butt end heavier than you probably feel comfortable with.
Not choosing one over another: Just pointing out some observations. Your #15, "CDT" has "no butt cap". Naturally the difference between the two will be huge. While it is fair to make comparisons of 2 Randall knives with like options, it is also impossible to equate any "feel' or "balance" comparisons on these 2. I do think that they are both great looking examples...just a lot different.
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: Here's 3 of my "CDT's"...CCS

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 10/26/10 12:46 PM

Is that a Treeman handle, Captain Chris? Was it a kit knife, or did the original handle get damaged?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 10/26/10 12:59 PM

Jim Behring did the handle about 5-6 years ago. It was not a "Kit" blade (None ever offered in this vintage at any rate), but a customer's knife, ordered with a leather handle with the intent of "tricking" it out afterwards. Why, after all of that trouble, he traded it to me remeins a mystery. One thing for sure...Ya' don't have to be concerned with "me" gettin' rid of it!! I like it very much!
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: Greg made me a "way-cool" throat-riveted sheath to go with it...CCS

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 10/26/10 03:32 PM

Thanks, Capt. Chris, really nice looking knife!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/23/11 05:59 PM

I've been real bad about posting pictures so when another model 15 arrived in the mail the other day, I thought to myself, this would be a great time to post some pictures. The first picture is of one I picked up a few months ago, it sports CDT, with dark red micarta, finger grooves, brass model 1 hilt, carbon steel BCP blade. I feel it probably could use a butt capp, it feels a little blade heavy to me. The second picture is one I just received last weekend. It may look familiar to many of you because it's a duplicate of a forum build. I really liked what the final result was so I ordered myself one through the Captain. Hope you enjoy.

Dan Snyder
RKS #5537
SHAG #010

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/23/11 08:28 PM

Dan
Very nice pair of model 15's I know what you mean about liking a knife from a forum build. We did the Bear Bowie a while back, and I liked it so well, I had one made like it for me.

Peter

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/23/11 08:49 PM

Dan ...
NICE 15s!
ESPECIALLY the stag handled 15 ... LOVE IT!
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/24/11 03:47 PM

Here's Dan other Model #15 CDT.
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Yonder

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/24/11 05:26 PM

Okay, I was recently envisioning just such a Model 15. How long is the wait from Capt Stanaback...?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/24/11 06:36 PM

The best answer is to contact the Captain and check with him. He knows what the time table is with the shop. If you do order one you wont be disappointed.

Dan Snyder
RKS #5537
SHAG #010

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/24/11 09:09 PM

I have ordered several and you are right, there is no disappointment with delivery no matter the wait.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/24/11 09:22 PM

Depending upon "what's what"...most orders are running 12-14 months. Hope this helps.
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Duke

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/28/12 03:09 PM

MY new # 15 Airman--ordered 23/October/2007. Specs are Bowie clip point, C black no-hone sheath, BPH, FCH, my own (Behring cut) brown canvas micarta. Incredible!! Thanks Randall guys!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/28/12 04:05 PM

Duke
Great looking model 15 I really like that brown canvas micarta

By the way where do you get the clear knife stands, I think I want to get some myself.

Peter
Posted by: Jim459

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/28/12 04:38 PM

Peter,

eBay has a bunch of stands. Here is a link:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=acrylic+knife+display+stand

Jim
Posted by: Oldvetnam1

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/28/12 04:39 PM

Great knife Duke.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/28/12 06:39 PM

Super cool looker and bound to be hit with the military folks. Nicely done.

Pap
Posted by: HALORANGER

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/28/12 07:44 PM

Outstanding setup Duke.
Posted by: Robert Frey

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/28/12 10:18 PM

I love those option choices Duke. grin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/29/12 06:19 AM

Thanks for positives re: my limited photo skills of Randall's outstanding , quality work. The smoothness of their handmade/hand fitted art work is truly a pleasure to behold......and hold. I was surprised at the color of the brown micarta I'd purchased a while back from the Behrings---kinda honey/butterscotch to this color-blind eye. It's got me thinking of the future of the other ones like it I bought at the same time along with the jade-green piece like the one Randall put on their Fireman for me...nothing stopping me except funds & common sense. Peter, like Jim said, found those and some with "CASE" on them on eBay. This handmade knife stuff makes me look towards a BEDGOOD in the future, if 'ya know what I mean. Having the UPS guy stop by with one of these goes a long way toward lifting your spirits on a down day.
Posted by: fabio

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/29/12 07:21 AM

bowie blade............. fanatstic

congrats!!!
Posted by: pyronaute

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/30/12 09:13 PM

Very impressive! I especially admire the color of the Micarta and the black no-hone sheath seems much more practical in these modern times.

I'm wondering if anyone can share photos of some 15's with the sawteeth/no-sawteeth blade configuration. I cannot remember ever seeing one of these in person; limited few in pictures.

Can anyone help here? Thanks.
Posted by: Skeetdoc

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/31/12 08:09 AM

http://www.knifetalkforums.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=101932#Post101932

The fourth frame in the above post is a 15 with saw/no saw.

Doug

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/31/12 11:15 AM

Thanks, Doug. I like the lines of your knife!

I think that I would like to acquire one with nearly the same features someday. Wishing now I had done so previously when I had the chance.
Posted by: jclarksnakes

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 04/30/15 09:37 PM

First post on this thread in a couple years. This is my Solengen SS Model 15 and JRB sheath. It has scratches from use and the sheath looks like it was carried some. Probably 35 to 40 years old and solid as a rock.
Posted by: Billy Poyner

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 04/30/15 11:03 PM

Here is a 15 with teeth and squared hilt.
Posted by: TAH

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/01/15 09:06 AM

Billy, that is a really cool configuration. I like it a lot!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/01/15 09:12 AM

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life again, Jeff. And with a great Solingen blade smile

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/01/15 09:14 AM

Tom,
Thanks,I have only seen one other one besides the one I have.
It could take care of business coming and going!!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/01/15 09:20 AM

Billy,
What Tom said x2! Outstanding knife!! I think that may have finally helped me figure out how to use another piece of Treeman cut handle material. Now.......the jade G-10....Brown Micarta....or ???

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/01/15 09:42 AM

Duke,
Stand by my friend.I will post up a 15 tonight that will push you
to a decision..(Hint).Saw teeth/no saw teeth-Jade G 10.Not being mean ,got to leave for work and hopefully sell some firearms today.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/01/15 10:25 AM

The sawteeth-no sawteeth option has great visual appeal on the knives for which it is an option.

IMHO, other than ripping through the skin of a helicopter or its plexiglass components, the sawteeth have 'zero' functionality. You can't really saw a tree branch with them. They do look menacing. I guess if you ever get to use a knife so equipped in hand-to-hand combat, the opponent might wet their pants and just surrender at the sight of such a fomidible and intimidating weapon. That would be cool!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/01/15 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: jclarksnakes
This is my Solengen SS Model 15 and JRB sheath.

Here's mine, Jeff.
It's seen more use (and abuse) than any of my other Randalls, and, like yours, is still as "solid as a rock."
(Never used this stone to sharpen it.)
Posted by: jclarksnakes

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/01/15 05:39 PM

Steve, yours is older than mine. It looks like it is from the very early 70s. I would guess that mine is late 70s. Knowing what I know now I would have ordered a Solingen 15 rather than the Solingen 14 I ordered in 1977. IMO the 15 is better balanced and much easier to carry with other gear than the 14.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/01/15 09:24 PM

Duke as promised.Jade G10..Model 15 sawteeth no sawteeth,thumb notches,nickel silver squared hilt,wrist thong,waxed sheath(not shown)

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/02/15 12:55 PM

Wow - Billy! This is a super nice 15 smile One model, many different looks.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/02/15 03:30 PM

Steve, yours is older than mine. It looks like it is from the very early 70s.

I think I ordered it in the 60's, along with a Solingen Model 18 crutchtip (which was stolen from me in '68). I believe I saved around $5, and got a stainless blade. This working knife lived in my vehicles for decades. More recently, it's been retired from vehicle use, replaced by a stainless KA-BAR.

IMO the 15 is better balanced and much easier to carry with other gear than the 14.

Agreed.
Posted by: Tom Vaught

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/02/15 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: pyronaute

The sawteeth-no sawteeth option has great visual appeal on the knives for which it is an option.

IMHO, other than ripping through the skin of a helicopter or its plexiglass components, the sawteeth have 'zero' functionality.

The Model #15 Randall Knife was designed for Flight Crews in Vietnam. My Son is a Commerical Pilot/ Instructor for a top rated Flight Instruction Universary and flies in lots of aluminum, firerglas, Plastic, and Carbon Fiber Aircraft DAILY. He calls his Randall Combat Companion (with sawteeth) his "PET" (Pilot Extraction Tool". His knife (with sawteeth) will do exactly what it was designed to do.

He doesn't need to "Go Combat" with his knife, he has a HK-40 that does that job a lot better.

Tom V.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/03/15 01:45 PM

Billy,
Thanks for posting both the with and without sawteeth....and with the jade green. I'm definitely in the process of transitioning to almost all users("GULP!!"), as life events cause one to reflect/respond/evolve, (pay hospitals).....whatever.....and have always loved the 15; thinking it will hopefully become a bigger all around player in my pack, camp, hunt, canoe, etc. and one of the remaining Treeman cut blocks will be on the tang......green....or brown....??? Still not sure, BUT, yours are both killers!!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/03/15 01:57 PM

And, even though I'm pretty sure I'll soon be going for the sawteeth, making it a user and that somebody else will wind up with this one......mine's a "Killer Randall" too!
Posted by: Tom Vaught

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/03/15 03:17 PM

Speaking of Treeman Cut Blocks, anyone know if he ever offered bright yellow Micarta Blocks? I would have a 15 or a CC made with that material. Be a lot easier to spot in the grass.

Tom V.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/03/15 05:29 PM

Duke,
When you said yours was a Killer Too.You made a 100 on that test,I
really like it!!! I can kinda or a lot relate to what you are saying.At 67 I am more fragile,where in my younger days it was,agile, mobile and hostile..
Posted by: KJT

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/04/15 09:50 AM

Tom,
Great idea for yellow micarta, and finding it in the grass!

Ken
Posted by: Cut it out

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/26/15 08:06 AM

][/url] ][/url] ][/url]

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/26/15 01:07 PM

A super nice airman - makes a great user!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/26/15 10:18 PM

Here are a couple of 15's.I hope you like them.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/26/15 11:40 PM

What type of wood is on that one Billy?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/27/15 07:40 AM

Rob,
Top 15 is desert ironwood and the other is green micarta.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/27/15 08:41 AM

Yep,
15s are definitely for using!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/27/15 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Billy Poyner
Rob,
Top 15 is desert ironwood and the other is green micarta.

I thought it might be Ironwood, but I wasn't sure. I thought it kinda looked like Walnut too.

Green? Wow, I thought that was Black Micarta.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/27/15 05:19 PM

The knife looks good .The man taking the picture didn't do it any justice..
Posted by: Chief

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/27/15 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Billy Poyner
The knife looks good .The man taking the picture didn't do it any justice..

Billy maybe you need a sharper camera!! grin wink
Of course the best pictures that I take come off of someone else's site! laugh

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/10/15 04:20 PM

][/url]

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/10/15 04:21 PM

][/url]
Posted by: Tattoo Bill

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/10/15 06:59 PM

And not as old.......

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/10/15 09:18 PM

Dang tattoo bill. That one reminds me of a sexy curvasious women smile

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/10/15 09:23 PM

lol.....reminds ME of a bowling pin...... is that weird???

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/11/15 06:32 PM

Wow. It sure does look like a bowling pin. Way to ruin my fantasy. Lol

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/23/15 09:41 AM

Another fine example of a vintage "KIT" knife from the early 1970's

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/23/15 11:20 AM

Very nice...!!!!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/25/15 03:50 PM

Looks so mission ready huh?? What a beast ][/url]

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/25/15 03:51 PM

][/url]
Posted by: JerryG

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/25/15 05:01 PM

Never will understand that. I have hatchets that do a much better job at making kindling.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/25/15 05:05 PM

Truth. Why abuse a 400.00 knife when you can do a better job with a 10.00 hatchet?
Posted by: Aurevoir Gopher

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/25/15 05:16 PM

Because there's not a $10 firewood making a hatchet Forum. If you can afford a knife, especially one that was made to take some serious abuse, and it brings you pleasure, then have at it.

I have a Becker BK9 and a Randall model 14. Which one do you think I have more fun chopping stuff with?
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/25/15 05:16 PM

agree....doesn't seem to make much since to me....but, if that's all you got, then get it on!!

:-)Rocky

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/25/15 05:35 PM

Remind me never to buy any of those knives.....lol

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/25/15 05:38 PM

Greenie....

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/25/15 05:39 PM

and another....

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/25/15 06:00 PM

Not splitting logs. Just making kindling from logs. ??? Not really abusing a knife designed to bust out of aircraft unless it's bogus what the 15 was made for.
If that's asking to much of a survival knife shame on me. Trust me I'll show these pics in my sale add if I ever do sell it. Lol. Maybe the pics make it look worse than it really is. Idk sorry to offend the safe queens wink

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/25/15 06:02 PM

And the reality is when backpacking I'm not gonna carry a axe or hatchet on top of other gear. So occasionally I might need to make kindling ..... That's all. Wanted to see how she did before I took her on a trip.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/25/15 06:10 PM

Vietnam era filled plug 15

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/25/15 06:15 PM

Honest I do use a axe when I'm at my cabin. Lol ][/url]

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/25/15 06:16 PM

Tattoo bill. What is the plug made of on that one?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/25/15 06:20 PM

A mixture of epoxy and micarta

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/25/15 06:21 PM

Now THAT is an AXE! lol

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/25/15 07:01 PM

Sorry, Tattoo Bill--this one's NOT a Model 15. It's a 17. Yes, it's an Astro.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/25/15 07:11 PM

...and here's an AXE!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/26/15 09:01 AM

Very nice pair you got there...!!!
Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/26/15 09:37 AM

Stihl, don't they make chainsaws?? that would be my choice for the big stuff!! grin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/26/15 10:59 AM

your gonna get "cut it out" started....
Posted by: pcrcrepaira

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 02/08/16 11:00 AM

This is my Solengen SS Model 15 and JRB sheath.

Here's mine, Jeff.
It's seen more use (and abuse) than any of my other Randalls, and, like yours, is still as "solid as a rock."
(Never used this stone to sharpen it.)

where do you buy it?
Posted by: Ac_85

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 02/09/16 11:39 AM

This one was made in early '90...I bought it for a very very very good price because the sheath was lost. The actual sheath is not original but quite good

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 04/02/16 11:31 AM

Currently listed on eBay, a model 15 for $23k. Search "Randall knife white tenite" Amusing description too.
Posted by: GHD

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 04/02/16 12:16 PM

I had mistakenly posted this under model 23, this is where it belongs.
Posted by: NW Michigan

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 04/02/16 01:37 PM

GHD, Great looking knife! Did you supply the stag or was it from the shop?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 04/02/16 02:18 PM

I've never been a model 15 collector.......but that one could change my mind. Really nice get!!!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 04/02/16 05:22 PM

found it on Ebay of all places.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 04/02/16 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: GHD

The place where the unknowing & a great knife a soon parted.
Posted by: BoBlade

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 04/03/16 07:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Chief
Originally Posted By: GHD

The place where the unknowing & a great knife a soon parted.

You got that right, Chief! Sometimes a guy will talk a guy into closing an auction early. Other times a guy will put a low buy-it-now price on a knife worth much more. This knife is a very recent case in point. I would have loved to bid on it. Model 3's set up for fighting are rare. As well, it was a really great piece of stag:

Posted by: tunefink

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 04/03/16 07:26 AM

Ditto Ron..... gone before I saw it. Would have loved that one as well.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/19/16 08:24 PM

My 15, 5.5 ss, sn, bp, blk custom sheath with sharpener in back, from Treeman Leather shop.
Posted by: maxpastor

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/20/16 11:02 AM

That is a great looking knife.

Can't wait to see it on the for sell thread laugh

max

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/27/16 04:30 PM

Found this nice Model 15, just hanging out on the Bay. Didn't sell twice, so made an offer he couldn't refuse. Baadda Bing

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/27/16 07:52 PM

Here's one I got from the Cap in the late 90's. Pretty cool sheath with a mini Leatherman instead of a stone.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/27/16 08:19 PM

great knife, I like the #15 when it is tricked out a little or a lot LOL

max
Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/27/16 09:52 PM

Cool set up Pat! I like the Leatherman idea!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/27/16 10:26 PM

Yeah, It would work well with a model 18. Hmmmmm cool

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/27/16 10:27 PM

Cool set up Pat! I like the Leatherman idea!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/04/16 08:26 PM

I found a "Sunday go to meeting" Suit for my 15. "CROC"
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/04/16 08:45 PM

Great combo and nice photos too.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/04/16 09:07 PM

Thanks Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/04/16 09:23 PM

Dang George,

I thought it was to cold in Alaska for Croc's. LOL

max

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/04/16 09:31 PM

They tend to get real stiff up here, live one's I mean.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/04/16 09:32 PM

That was originally one of my Croc sheaths! It's a beauty! Congrats!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/04/16 09:46 PM

They get around don't they, I bought it from Thomas Troy, did he get it from you ?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/04/16 10:24 PM

Bill,

That's a terrible waste of new boots. Lol

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/05/16 07:56 AM

Yes, Tom is one of my good customers.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/10/16 10:16 AM

This photo should (probably) be in (& probably "will be") a couple of different spots on our forum. I'll list it here...to start with. As Neale will be proud of me: Tennyson said..."and the old order changeth, yielding place to new"...
These #15's are 45 years apart...and rare! Not often do you see brass lugged hilts on an Airman!
Enjoy, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/10/16 10:21 AM

Those teeth are AWESOME on the oldie!!!

grin
Posted by: Eric

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 10/19/16 11:02 AM

One of my recent additions. Model 15 with teeth, Brown Micarta??? with splitback large rivet sheath and yellow print stone. Used condition.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 10/19/16 12:29 PM

Very nice Eric. Don't forget the filled hole! It's hard to say for sure, but it looks black.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 10/19/16 01:33 PM

Thanks Mitchell, The drilled recess hole is all brown. The micarta handle is brown with streaks of black. You guys tell me what color it is called.
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 10/19/16 01:36 PM

I love brown canvas, and although this might not be canvas, it sure looks brown to me.

I can see the streaks of black you mention Eric. Very nice cool

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 10/20/16 08:37 PM

Awesome Eric. You always do well.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 10/20/16 09:37 PM

Thanks Michael and Warren. I am always looking. Eric

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 10/20/16 09:39 PM

Wish I had your eyes Eric. You come up with some great knives all the time.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 10/20/16 09:48 PM

I love the Clip Blade with sawteeth much better than the Model 18 blade! Very scarce!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 10/20/16 09:56 PM

I agree I've seen a picture of a 12-9 done that way, really a great look!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/07/16 08:27 PM

This just in today from the Captain. Ordered 3/15/16.
Here's a killer 15CDT, SS, Single Brass Hilt, All Black Spacers, CWT Bone Linen, Fingergrips, Brass Buttcap (thin),Model "C" Black No Hone Sheath.
Awesome set-up, would make a great camp knife or hunting companion. Like a 23 on steroid's; thanks Captain Chris!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/07/16 08:35 PM

That's to much knife for you!!! LOL

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/07/16 08:41 PM

That is a great setup.

Pap

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/07/16 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Chief
That's to much knife for you!!! LOL

I'll take that compliment, thanks bro.

Pappy,
Similar look, different color spacers & no buttcap as your 19-5 if I recall?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/07/16 09:51 PM

Warren,

That's a beauty!

Hope you're gonna use it!

smile

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/07/16 09:55 PM

Thanks Tony good to hear from you. Yes, I do plan on putting this one to good use. The C sheath gives me options for pack lashing.
Posted by: desert.snake

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/08/16 12:48 AM

Very cool knife, Congratulations!

One question, the difference between thin and not thin butt cap?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/08/16 06:18 AM

Difference is mostly weight. Standard buttcap is much heavier and would throw the knife off balance. This one is perfect.
Posted by: desert.snake

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/08/16 07:53 AM

Thank you!

I thought it the thickness as buttcap from model 25.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/08/16 08:03 AM

Glad you like it Warren. I did not get a chance to look at it, as shipping and Tulsa get kinda' close together twice a year!
Nice, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/08/16 08:10 AM

This would be my first CDT 15 and I really like how it turned out. Thanks again for helping me put together Capt.
Posted by: BladesNBarrels

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/08/16 10:21 AM

Educate me, kind sir.
What is the difference between the thin butt cap and a regular butt cap?
Thanks!
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/08/16 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: BladesNBarrels
Educate me, kind sir.
Thanks!

Check out this post in the Stoddard's Special thread: http://www.knifetalkforums.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=45930#Post45930

The top three are "thin" and the bottom one is "regular".

Scroll down a little to see Mr. Kaufman's post of a "thin" and compare to the Sergeant Special here: http://www.randallknives.com/knives/sergeants-model/
Posted by: crutchtip

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/08/16 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Tattoo Bill
I love the Clip Blade with sawteeth much better than the Model 18 blade! Very scarce!

I am gonna go out on a limb here without seeing the knife in hand, but my suspicion is those teeth were added after the fact. That is not a typical "clip" grind with teeth. The bevel of the top clip is standard with the teeth cut into the wide spine. Also consider the trough of each tooth which is very rounded, not typical either.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/08/16 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Windsor
Educate me, kind sir.
Thanks!

Check out this post in the Stoddard's Special thread: http://www.knifetalkforums.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=45930#Post45930

The top three are "thin" and the bottom one is "regular".

Scroll down a little to see Mr. Kaufman's post of a "thin" and compare to the Sergeant Special here: http://www.randallknives.com/knives/sergeants-model/

I see a difference now.
I did not know that you could order a thin versus a regular.
I see in the options:
BB - Brass Butt Cap
DB - Duralumin Butt Cap
NSB - Nickel Silver Butt Cap
and the 2 types of Crows Beak Butt Cap
or even a DOB for a Domed Butt Cap on a concave handle
I have seen rounded butt caps and squared butt caps, but I am not sure how you designate the difference.
All very educational!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/08/16 05:44 PM

It's one of the things that are different between the Sergeant's Special and the Stoddard's Special.

That immediately came to mind when you posed the question because my Q2 2016 order was a Sergeant's with Stoddard-like options.

My invoice looks like this:
SERG
NS1
ASP
IW
SFG
WT
***NOTE*** Thin Butt Cap

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/08/16 07:36 PM

I like them thin on a border patrol handle.
Posted by: Dirty_Water

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/08/16 10:42 PM

Border Patrol AND single finger groove both come standard with a thin butt cap...

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/09/16 12:50 AM

Why? Because it's flared at the butt?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/11/16 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: W Polidori
This just in today from the Captain. Ordered 3/15/16.
Here's a killer 15CDT, SS, Single Brass Hilt, All Black Spacers, CWT Bone Linen, Fingergrips, Brass Buttcap (thin),Model "C" Black No Hone Sheath.
Awesome set-up, would make a great camp knife or hunting companion. Like a 23 on steroid's; thanks Captain Chris!

Warren,
I have been building this knife "in my head" for months. Good to see it in the flesh so to speak.
I will do a rounded butt cap (is that available in "thin"?), metal spacers and rounded top guard, but that is close!
Thanks for the pix.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/11/16 08:56 PM

That should be doable Tom. You'll like it. It's micarta you know grin
Posted by: Ac_85

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/25/17 06:08 AM

That's mine! I bought it some times ago, but without sheath...now I have the original one and a nice copy...very well done...I know it's not a Tenite but is #15
Posted by: Lofty

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/25/17 08:55 PM

Nickel silver can be ordered rounded, but not thinned, unless they have changed things. Trust me, I have tried. Too much grinding time and wear/tear to belts, I would think.
Posted by: Justin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 11:29 AM

Seeing yalls 15's makes me wish I wouldn't have carried mine.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 03:49 PM

It was a hand me down from a ranger and i used it through two deployments aswell. Sorry again guys.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 04:18 PM

Justin!!!
That is EXACTLY what these knives are made for....Yours is a much finer example due to use, the other, non used knives!!!
Also, if I'm seeing the non lined thong hole correctly, a somewhat older model....more that likely made way before the stuff that has gone on over there recently.....I could be off, BUT I have not had my first cocktail either....

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 04:38 PM

I emailed tunefink before i joined here he said it was a 63 or 64 filled hole brown micarta im new to randalls for the collecting but i know well this knife will pop a door or window and open a can in know time.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 04:39 PM

I hope to learn a lot here with yall

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 05:06 PM

You have a quite valuable knife right here! I have recently sold similar filled hole brown micarta 15's in the $3000 range.
Posted by: Boomer51

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 05:12 PM

Nice knife. 14's and 15's in my opinion are supposed to be used more than about any other model - used my 14 on a few deployments too. You're pretty lucky a Ranger was generous enough to cough up his blade - welcome aboard.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 05:17 PM

He said he'd rather it go to someone whos gonna use it instead of it sitting in an ammo can collecting rust. He was my friends dad and saw how much trouble i used to get into. So perhaps the turn around in life promoted the generosity.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 05:18 PM

Thanks for the welcome

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 05:23 PM

In that shape tattoo? The epoxy n micarta plug is cracked on one side i filled it with wax to try to mitigate anymore damage to that area and ive sharpened the thing many times..haha it is very used

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: thevalueman
Justin!!!
Yours is a much finer example due to use, the other, non used knives!!!

If you're right, Rocky, then my 1960's Model 14 may not be worth very much. I had two Randalls with me during both my Vietnam deployments--this one and a Model 1. I wore the Model 1, and did not use this 14 (that's why it looks so good today). Later I lost the split-back sheath to mildew and rot from wet-floor basement storage, so bought a replacement sheath (as you can see, small rivets and not a split-back). For dress-up, I asked Greg Gutcher to make me a new splitback with large copper rivets.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 06:14 PM

Haha everytime i see another blade here im just in awe of how beautiful they are. That is an awesome looking knife.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 06:14 PM

Sometime before i got mine the stone pocket came off my sheathe

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 07:36 PM

So what is the difference between my brown handle and your? I mean besides obvious color and pattern. Like material i guess is what im getting at..and how people can tell ages of knives bases on the handle

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 07:37 PM

Based*

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 07:49 PM

Steve, that knife is fantastic!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Justin
I emailed tunefink before i joined here he said it was a 63 or 64 filled hole brown micarta im new to randalls for the collecting but i know well this knife will pop a door or window and open a can in know time.

did mitchell have a better photo?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 08:14 PM

I sent him a few i need to get my wifes camera and take some

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 08:20 PM

There ya go. Can see it now.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 08:34 PM

Unfortunately my pictures are not gonna do the knife justice haha

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 08:37 PM

Hold on Steve!!!
You got me on that!! BUT, you know what I was say'n....

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 09:04 PM

Sorry guys as i said new to this why does it have the extended tang.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 09:07 PM

Haha is there a post on here for novices to pick up some of the more basic questions i have so im not spamming threads with question after question.
Posted by: Tracer

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 09:09 PM

Welcome, Justin! I'm always happier seeing 'em used, rather than pristine. IMO yours looks just right.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 09:11 PM

I thank you much for the compliment aswell as welcome.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 09:14 PM

Justin, you're just going to have to trudge thru the mire just like everybody else. There are no shortcuts! lol

Lord knows that I've been lambasted on here! But it's give and take once you get your feet wet some!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 09:17 PM

No sir not asking for a shortcut just a point in the direction as to where to start i look at the threads and its crazy how much there is and everything. I will wade through it gladly that i assure you
Posted by: Boomer51

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 09:27 PM

You can use the search function on the forum to look up specific questions on some things and then start building yourself a reference library (Gaddis, Hunt and Wickersham's books are a good start). Mitchell (Tunefink) has some pretty good reference material on his website also. Tons of info out there and the more you look the more you find out how much you don't know..
Good luck.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 09:33 PM

Thank you much

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 09:37 PM

Good to see you posting Justin. Welcome to the forums.

When it comes to search the forum function sucks. Here is a link to a thread with instructions on using Google search within this forum.

http://www.knifetalkforums.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=122768#Post122768
Posted by: Ronnie

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 09:41 PM

Great knife Justin and a great story of how you got it.
Welcome to the forums. You will get it one day.....buy the books, handle the knives, and talk to the guys that know.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 09:55 PM

Thank you guys and thank you tunefink for your initial help with telling me what i had.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/30/17 11:54 PM

Welcome Justin, just remember that it will take a minute to learn what you are after. Just follow your own saying & You'll get there.
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
I don't collect the "Older Stuff", I just like the pretty ones. But hanging out here ya can't help but learn. Good Hunting!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/31/17 12:21 AM

Thanks for the welcome chief. I will do my best to absorb as much as i can.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 02/01/17 03:06 PM

Haha everytime i see another blade here im just in awe of how beautiful they are. That is an awesome looking knife.

Thanks, Justin.
====================================================================
So what is the difference between my brown handle and your? I mean besides obvious color and pattern. Like material i guess is what im getting at..and how people can tell ages of knives bases on the handle

According to the Wickersham TIMELINE, “Light brown ‘thin sheet’ Micarta laminate was first used on RMK knives around 1960, with the darker brown block Micarta showing up in 1964 through 1966 on the models RMK #14/15/16. Originally screwed in place and covered with ‘filled hole’ Micarta dust and epoxy, by late 1966 only epoxy was being used.”
Originally Posted By: Tattoo Bill
Steve, that knife is fantastic!

Thanks T.Bill—I welcome that comment from an owner of such great Randalls!
Hold on Steve!!!
You got me on that!! BUT, you know what I was say'n....

Yup, Rocky, I do know what you were say’n.
Posted by: JE6245

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 02/01/17 04:11 PM

There is a saying along the lines of "first, buy the book". Along those lines I think the Wickersham and Gaddis books are must-haves for a Randall collector or owner or just someone who wants to know more. Wickersham has more eye candy pics but still a lot of good information. Gaddis has only B/W pics but more detailed information. Prices on those books vary widely so shop around.

Edit -- Sorry, almost forgot about Mr. Tunefink's web site that has a ton of good RMK information. Here's the link: http://www.knifetalkforums.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=122768#Post122768
If that doesn't work just use the link from his post above.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 02/01/17 04:26 PM

I have been on tunefinks sight regularly trying to learn thank you haha and those books...yea ill need another paycheck for them haha

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 02/01/17 05:55 PM

Man you start digging into a knives history and you find out awesome stuff!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 02/01/17 08:22 PM

article I wrote on brown micarta years ago

http://www.rmkcollector.com/the-randall-collector/brown-micarta

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 02/01/17 08:30 PM

Haha i aint gonna lie to you crutch ive read that article like 6 times in the past few days haha

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 02/01/17 10:02 PM

That's the best article on Brown Micarta that you can possibly find. I have it saved in my research files and refer to it weekly.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/10/17 12:32 PM

Late 60's to Early 70's. The black micarta has turned a beautiful brown. Not many made like this would be my guess.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/10/17 02:17 PM

That actually looks brown in the photo. Generally the black will take on a greenish hue as the base material i.e. linen or canvas yellows.

The RESIN is what give the handle the color, that doesn't change. In other words, black does not change to brown.

Without having in hand it sure looks brown.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/10/17 02:34 PM

Thanks Joe, I hope you are right. I just assume black micarta when it comes to examples with unlined thong hole handles. Brown examples are so rare. Thanks again!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/10/17 03:08 PM

That actually appears to be brown micarta Eric. I think what is throwing you off about this package is the small rivet sheath vs. handle material. I feel that it is a "KIT" blade handled in old brown canvas micarta with the sheath.

Reduced, squared single hilt, thumb notches on the spine and the radiused handle all scream "KIT".

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/10/17 03:56 PM

Tattoo Bill, Maybe, but I have never heard of an unlined thong hole that matches all the Randall examples I have seen in a kit knife. The blade has been cleaned.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/10/17 04:32 PM

Could also quite possibly have been "customized" by a previous owner.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/10/17 04:42 PM

If it's any help at all, here's my brown 14--seems like the color is pretty much like yours (though the surface pattern makes it look like they cut the micarta block at a different angle). I tried to get some pics of the thong hole, if that is any help.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/10/17 05:10 PM

Here is a closer shot of the #15

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/10/17 05:43 PM

Looks Brown to me. Liking the rounded corner alot!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/10/17 06:41 PM

Steve, as always, you have some great Randall knives! Low S brown.... not run of the mill.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/10/17 07:32 PM

Thanks, Mitchell.
Posted by: mic214

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/13/17 08:42 PM

My meager Randall collection has been reduced somewhat as of late because I have given away three of my knives (A model 5, 14 and 16) to my kids. To fill the void, I have ordered two more from the Capt. (A Model 15 and a 26) which I am hoping to get fairly soon. So I figured I was set for a while…..

Alas, I can never say never when it comes to acquiring knives (Randalls or otherwise). While perusing the Model 15 Knife of the week thread (yet again!), I kept getting drawn back to a knife that member “tomthbomb” has posted of his Model 15 with the CDT, leather handle, double brass hilt with the duralumin butt cap.

I am not sure why, but this particular knife calls to me. It just so happened that Buxton Knives has had this exact knife in their inventory for a couple of months. So, in a moment of weakness, I brought that one home. I guess I needed at least one Randall “Fighter” in my collection!

The Model 15 arrived today and it is a beauty! I can’t believe how great it feels in the hand. Very nicely balanced. I can see this one getting thrown into the “Outback” carry rotation. This Model 15 does not have the wrist thong hole, so I contacted the Randall shop and they will take a look at it and see if a wrist thong can be installed.

Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/13/17 10:09 PM

Love the picture, that is great.. Good get on the M15 smile

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/15/17 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Michael_Mason
Love the picture, that is great.. Good get on the M15 smile

Thanks!

We have an old corral on the property that is left over from when this place used to be a cattle ranch back in the 1800's. It makes for some great spots for taking photos.

I can't wait to put this 15 to use. It is a lot like the Model 5 that I had, except slightly larger. To me, it balances better, mostly likely due to the longer blade length.

My plan, once I get my other 15 from the Capt., is to send this one back to the Randall shop to see if they can do thr wrist thong in the butt cap..... grin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/07/17 02:50 PM

This morning I took delivery of a Model 15 that I ordered from the Captain. I first saw this knife when I was perusing this thread and saw the one posted by forum member "cut it out".

I really like the way his was set up, so I ordered only exactly like it, with the exception that mine has the green micarta BP style handle and a tan sheath. In addition to the green miacarta, it has a carbon steel blade, thumb notches and a brass single hilt.

I love the feel of the BP handle on this knife. Compared to my other Model 15 with the CDT leather stacked handle, this one is much more butt heavy in the hand. Having given away my Model 5-5 and both my Model 14 & 16, this knife will be my main "Outback" blade.

I dare say, that if I had to chose one Randall out of my meager collection, this one would be it for me. I think the 5-1/2" blade it perfect for just about everything I would ask a knife to do for me. I can't wait to get it out into the field..... grin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/07/17 03:42 PM

Good choice Mick. Thanks for your order.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/07/17 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
Good choice Mick. Thanks for your order.
Best, Capt. Chris

You bet Capt.

I couldn't be more please with how this one turned out..... grin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/07/17 07:11 PM

Mick, I think you have great taste in knives!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/07/17 08:19 PM

Mick, I think you have great taste in knives!

Thanks Steve!

I really like the silver and black spacers on yours....nice touch..... grin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/05/18 05:58 PM

Re-posting my pair of 15's. The first one has the double brass hilt, CDT and stacked leather handle. I am taking this one with me on my upcoming vacation to Florida. While I am there, I am stopping by the shop to see if they can add a wrist thong hole for me:

This one I got from the Capt. a while back. It is based on one that another member here (Cut it out) has. Mine has the single hilt, Border Patrol grip and green micarta handles:

Both of my 15's have carbon blades....

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/06/18 08:20 PM

Here are a couple of quick cell phone pics of the Model #15 I just received today. SS, Thumb Notches, Single NS Hilt, CW Orange Micarta, Wrist Thong, Waxed No Hone Sheath. I'll get the camera out and set up to take better pics later.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/06/18 08:30 PM

Rob,

So you're likely to get lots of where you got the orange. Nice package great get.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/06/18 11:33 PM

My thoughts exactly. Nice one.

Pap

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/07/18 11:02 AM

I got the Orange from a guy on here. I had planned to do a #16, but the other #15 I ordered never arrived, so I used the orange on this.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/07/18 06:35 PM

I think it was me...
and then, I had to get one from "somebody" for my 16....
what goes around...comes around...
BUT we both made donations to the RKCA to get them, so, it's all good!!!

:-)Rocky...aka "some guy"

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/07/18 07:33 PM

I think it was me...

I didn't want to give your name out so others don't try to get more... LOL

Thank you.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/07/18 08:01 PM

I think it was me...

Something in memory makes me think Tom the Bomb had a hand in this.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/08/18 07:19 AM

I don't know about that Warren.
I'm out, you got the only one I had. Like I said, I had to get one for my 16 from somebody on here as well...When I gave it to you, I had plans of a white handle, so it did not matter, then the white material was not shop worthy, so, I had to make a change, and thankfully there was a fellow kind enough to help me out. Since he wouldn't take any money, I sent in a donation to equal things out....RKCA is the winner either way!!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/08/18 07:39 AM

Wrong guy not me Rocky.
Posted by: Gert

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/08/18 03:51 PM

Got this one a couple of months ago.
Nickel silver single hilt and rounded buttcap, walnut burl border patrol handle.
Waxed sheath.
foto uploaden

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/08/18 04:30 PM

I meant to type Rob got my last one...it just can out different than what I typed...happens all the time....you type one thing, and something else appears...

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/09/18 08:01 AM

Gert ... THAT'S A BEAUTY!

Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/11/18 10:03 PM

This is very close to my next Randall. I am hung up on the 5 option limit. Here in deep east Texas, I need a stainless blade.

The next four options are my dilemma.

What do you guys think I should use for handle material?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/11/18 10:10 PM

Tom,
Thuya Burl would look great.IMO

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/28/18 11:33 PM

I forgot to post up my Model 15 that I had taken back to the shop a couple of months ago and had them add the hole for the wrist thong:

Posted by: Leatherman

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/29/18 01:24 PM

Gert, that's sure a looker!!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/19/19 04:07 PM

Imgur

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/19/19 04:08 PM

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 08/20/19 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Cut it out

You're missing the : in the first post and there's an extra http:// at the front of the second post.

For the pic, here ya go:

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 09/01/19 03:23 PM

Thank you Rob.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 01/03/20 06:39 PM

The “Lads”…

I am waiting on the arrival (Hopefully soon!) of another Model 15 from the Capt’. It’s my “Short Diver” that I plan on using for kayaking. It will have a stainless blade, sawteeth, thumb notches, single brass hilt and a full finger grip handle in green Micarta.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/29/20 09:01 PM

Subdued 15
Posted by: nate-dogg

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/29/20 09:53 PM

I almost bid on that one. Very nice!
Posted by: Lytridis

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 12/01/20 09:44 AM

Some pictures of my new model 15. Full tang, O1, black micarta, single finger grip and forward curved brass double hilt.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 12/01/20 10:01 AM

Good lookin', for sure!
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Neale_Jenkinson

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 12/01/20 10:48 AM

Are the sheath and hilt a match ?
Nice knife.
Posted by: coachblalock

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 12/01/20 06:46 PM

#15 is an AWESOME knife !!!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 12/02/20 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: coachblalock
#15 is an AWESOME knife !!!

Agreed!

I am waiting on the arrival a Model 15 from the Capt. that hopefully will be here shortly…:)

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 12/02/20 03:48 PM

Check out my #15 and CCFT side by side:

http://www.knifetalkforums.com/ubbthread...20by%20Side.gif

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 12/02/20 05:52 PM

Both of those are super nice,Coach!!

Pap

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 12/03/20 11:32 AM

Thanks Pappy!

I think that I have posted this picture before, but here goes again!

Here is pictured from left to right:

#28, CCFT, #15, #14 all Full Tangs & dressed alike.
Posted by: Shoot870p

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 12/03/20 03:39 PM

Coach
That's a nice family photo.
Thanks for sharing
Walker

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 04/24/21 11:59 AM

As mentioned in another post, I received my Model 15 from the Capt. yesterday and I couldn’t be happier! It goes nicely with my other two Model 15’s.

The one with the stacked leather handle and cut down tang came from Buxton and the middle one with the single brass hilt, green Micarta Border Patrol handle came from the Capt.

Both of those 15’s have carbon steel blades. I wanted something that would be more suitable to water environments, so I ordered the third one with a stainless steel blade.

Los Tres Amigos……

I’m left handed, so the two 15’s from the Capt. have left handed sheaths.

Posted by: Sidney_Redford

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 04/24/21 12:05 PM

Very nice group. I especially like the BP handle.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/17/21 07:52 PM

As I plan to use my latest Model 15 for kayaking, I picked up a Spec Ops sheath for it…

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/17/21 10:25 PM

Nice rig, Mick!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/18/21 09:51 AM

Backdrop for the photo is outstanding!
Posted by: Kirko

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/18/21 05:51 PM

Backdrop for the photo is outstanding!
yes very clever !!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/07/21 09:27 AM

Not a new pic but just trying to fire up the site smile. Heck I might have posted these before and can’t remember lol

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/07/21 11:06 AM

keep them coming...nice to know this site is alive!!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/08/21 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Cut it out
Not a new pic but just trying to fire up the site smile. Heck I might have posted these before and can’t remember lol

Great pics !

I ordered a similar Model 15 after seeing yours….

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/13/21 02:46 PM

Yeah it’s the only 15 that made sense for my needs. I don’t need the double hilt and saw teeth. Yours looks good! I wanted a more camp friendly knife but still on the smaller side than 14 I had.
Posted by: Buck Buchanan

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/13/21 03:51 PM

This design is catching on.

I just ordered a Model 15 for myself with STN, (sawteeth-no teeth), brass hilt single-squared, green micarta, border patrol handle, and waxed "C" sheath.

Same as Mic's, except the STN blade and waxed sheath, arriving in February 2022.

Y'all are setting a trend, ya know.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/14/21 05:31 AM

Can’t wait to see pics when you get it !!!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/14/21 07:17 AM

single finger grip with thumb notches

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/14/21 05:43 PM

^^ Very nice!!!!!^^

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/16/21 09:28 AM

Beautiful knife!

Here is one I received not too long ago. This one pleasantly surprised me. Very comfortable in hand. Nickel silver hilt, Waxed sheath. In fact it's a Nr. 22 handle.

And red, white and blue are also the colours of the Dutch flag. How nice.

Posted by: Buck Buchanan

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/16/21 11:14 PM

Gert, as you might already know, any model ordered with the "Crow's Beak Butt Cap" will be paired with the Model 22 handle shape.

No other handle shape, like the Single Finger Grip for example, can be ordered with the Crow's Beak Butt Cap.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/16/21 11:17 PM

from time to time...I have to repost this beauty, which I've been lead to believe is now in Gary Clinton's collection, compliments of Big Jim

Posted by: Leatherman

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/17/21 08:38 PM

Is that one of the non in house blades?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/18/21 02:46 AM

What a beauty! This is what makes these nr. 15's so very interesting, the decades of evolution you can see in the modern ones. Of course that goes for all Randall models, but the 15's are my favourite.

Think I'm going to make one like it for myself.
Posted by: Wally

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/18/21 04:09 PM

Rare bird... I wonder how many are in the wild?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/18/21 04:32 PM

Rick Ward had a White Tenite 15 that he displayed at Blade Show for a number of years.
Someone kept offering him more and more for it each year.
Finally the "can not refuse" amount was offered and he sold it.
Can't remember the year, but I think it was about 8 or 10 years ago.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/18/21 05:28 PM

2 Georgia Boys: Rick..."&"...Rocky!
Hmmm?
Capt. Chris
Posted by: eLarry

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/18/21 06:54 PM

I sure miss my ole' buddy Rick! It would be great to talk with him again.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/18/21 06:56 PM

Posted by: LarryWW1246

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/18/21 07:39 PM

Crutchtip...showoff!

Could have left the shop yesterday.

Larry

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 11/19/21 06:30 AM

that one of my dad's was stolen, along with a few others, then found several years later behind a sheetrock wall in a commercial establishment when there was a water leak, thus the damage....back in the time, the cops knew folks, and knew, by the name engraved on one of the blades, who they belonged to....not so much today.

Posted by: 32Craig

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/20/22 01:43 PM

My #15 CDT, Ordered this with help from Gary Clinton, A great guy to purchase from.
Stainless Blade, Single Brass Hilt, Thumb Notches, RWB Spacers, Stag, #14 Finger Grooves,
Wrist Thong, Compass, Waxed Sheath.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/20/22 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: 32Craig
My #15 CDT, Ordered this with help from Gary Clinton, A great guy to purchase from.
Stainless Blade, Single Brass Hilt, Thumb Notches, RWB Spacers, Stag, #14 Finger Grooves,
Wrist Thong, Compass, Waxed Sheath.

Very nice.

We had a forum build that was close to this configuration.
Posted by: REK

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/20/22 06:48 PM

I like that a lot.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 05/21/22 10:18 AM

Sure looks good, 32.
Walker

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/27/22 09:09 PM

Just picked this 15 up, not sure if it's what's considered a slab side or not, both sides of the polished stag are ground and polished flat. Tell me what you think.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/27/22 10:12 PM

Cool piece George. I have never seen a polished stag CDT. Must have been a big chunk to start!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/27/22 10:14 PM

Is it considered a slab side, both sides are flat ?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/27/22 10:15 PM

Why not.... no hard and fast rules.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/27/22 10:19 PM

Thanks, I just like the way it looks, first CDT in polished stag I've seen as well.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/28/22 05:41 AM

Very nice 15. Really like the stag, too. That is a good get.
Thanks
Walker

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 06/28/22 10:23 AM

Just one word: WOW!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/02/22 10:37 AM

Model #15-5 1/2"...as follows:
* Stainless
* Sawteeth
* Brass "LUGGED" double hilt
What do ya'll think. When I can catch my breath (literally) I'll post an earlier version from...(you guessed it)...The Captain's STASH!!
Stay Sharp, Capt. Chris
Posted by: CrazyCajun

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/02/22 05:17 PM

That's a DANDY!!!!!!
Posted by: Kirko

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/04/22 02:32 AM

Whoa !!! Very very nice !
Posted by: eLarry

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/04/22 01:24 PM

My latest no frills beauty!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/11/22 10:56 PM

Couple of Nasa Jade G 10's

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 07/12/22 06:43 AM

There all stunning!
The Nr.15 is hands down my favourite Randall model!
Posted by: MCM

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 04/26/23 09:57 PM

Got 2 knives in a package deal today (in the mail) , and am not sure how to date the model 15. Would this be an inclusive S? Not up to speed dating these. And photos on the post here showing inclusive "S" V.S. separate "S" have been removed. Any help would be great! Thanks.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 04/27/23 12:30 PM

here ya go, and yes it is.

https://rmkcollector.com/collector-2/
Posted by: MCM

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 04/27/23 08:00 PM

So separate "S" or inclusive "S"? Where would you date this knife? Thanks
Posted by: Wally

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 15 - 04/27/23 10:58 PM

Inclusive S