Randall/Swiss Army Knife

Posted by: New2Randalls

Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 01/14/08 06:09 PM

Good afternoon, I just picked up a Swiss Army knife that has Randall Made Knives on the blade. The blade is thin and has serrations, kind of like a steak knife. Was wondering if it's legit?

Thanks,
Dan Snyder RKS #5537
Posted by: 7033grip

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 01/14/08 06:49 PM

Hope you didn't pay too much...Sounds like a Russian rip-off.

Dubie
Posted by: BigJim

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 01/14/08 07:12 PM

Hey Dan,
The knife's legit.Page 30 in 2004 catalog.Paring & Steak Knives,made by Victorinox for RMK.Yours would be the Steak with serrations..
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!
Posted by: BOB_TEATES

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 01/14/08 07:24 PM

Jim I thought the same thing at first but Dan said the blade was on a swiss army knife
Posted by: widmn

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 01/14/08 07:54 PM

By the way, They do make very nice everyday steak knives.

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 01/14/08 09:21 PM

Now that I'm home I was able to take a couple of pictures for all to view. So here they are.

Thanks,
Dan Snyder
RKS #5537

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 01/14/08 09:24 PM

Here's another picture. Don't know why it would download into the body of this thread.

Dan Snyder RKS #5537
Posted by: Sheldon_Wickersham

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 01/14/08 09:58 PM

Dan, don't use it - hold onto it for fiddy years and it may be worth $30,000...or not
Posted by: silverknife

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 01/14/08 11:15 PM

Dan, I'm not sure you got a straight answer yet. THe picture is of the steak knives that are made by victorinox and sold thru the Randall shop. They are probably about $10.00 each more or less. No sheath. Great little knives. The edge seems to last forever and there is no wait for them.

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 01/15/08 12:56 AM

Thanks guys, $10 is about what I paid. Didn't know if they were still available or not. Thought it would be a neat and cheap addition to my meager collection.
Dan Snyder RKS #5537
Posted by: Holzinger258

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 01/15/08 11:22 AM

Quote:

Didn't know if they were still available or not.
Dan Snyder

Yup, still available. Nope, not RANDALL MADE. Here's an excerpt (page 30) from most recent catalog (dated January 2008). Paring knife: $9; steak knife: $10.
-Steve

Posted by: Steven

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 01/15/08 12:05 PM

I bought a dozen of them years ago and they seem to hold an edge for ever and work very nicely. I replaced all of my other steak knives with them and have been very happy. Not to many but the most dedicated Randall collectors have 12 of the same model in the exact same configuration. Yep, I'm one of the big collectors. They are so good I still haven't used my number 6 for cutting anything tho I do have it and my carving set in the kitchen. Guess I need to get a really tuff ole piece of steak and use it once or twice.
Posted by: boardrider

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 01/15/08 04:22 PM

I agree they are really good steak knives and where else can you get a knife with "Randall Made" on it for $10? I just bought 8 more of them to replace lost ones and it was really cool to phone the shop, order some knives and be told they would be to me in a week!
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 01/15/08 06:36 PM

Did ya'll know they're available in 2 colors?? Yup!! True story...and I, like many others here, use 12 of 'em for everyhing around the kitchen everyday. Now: The Randall "bread" knife (German), with a rosewood handle?? They really are starting to become collectable!! No joke!! Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: silverknife

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 01/16/08 12:17 AM

I've used the breadnife for years. Ran it thru the diswasher plenty of times. It's a great breadknife. Not crazy about the red steak knives but to each his own.

A while back I sold a black steaknife on eBay. I think I got $25 for it!!!

Now watch the resellers make a run on the steak knives and create a waiting list!!!

Could happen.

Regards, Doug
Posted by: 7033grip

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 01/16/08 12:54 AM

I'm waiting for a certain seller from Ft. Myers to list one on eBay with ivory handles, 7 spacers, and a nickel-silver buttcap. It will look good in it's "original" #10-5" rough-back Johnson sheath.

Dubie Baxter
Posted by: Eric

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 05/01/17 03:50 PM

Found this thread on Randall marked Steak Knives. I found one and any info is appreciated. Aluminum pinned handle. W Germany RMK marked.

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 05/01/17 04:40 PM

Don't know that one, but Randall offered kitchen knife sets in the past.
Posted by: crutchtip

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 05/01/17 04:43 PM

I do know this resurrected thread brought up a few names from the past, some no longer participate, some no longer with us.

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 05/01/17 06:46 PM

Thanks Steve. What year is that catalog? Here is one with white tenite but it is not marked RMK anywhere. Found the pair together.

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 05/01/17 07:58 PM

Eric -

don't think that is tenite, but most likely a phenolic resin.

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 05/01/17 08:28 PM

Quikut capitalized Tenite on their blade sleeve. Has an Ivory coloring, Not dishwasher safe.

Joe, I agree with you, its not the same material RMK used. But it does say its Tenite.

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 05/01/17 08:31 PM

Roger that. With the "wavy" pattern, it sure looked like the old phenolic you used to see on everything
Posted by: Wally

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 05/01/17 09:00 PM

"Poor man's Tenite" probably all I could ever afford! Great history lesson!
Posted by: tomthbomb

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 05/01/17 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: crutchtip
I do know this resurrected thread brought up a few names from the past, some no longer participate, some no longer with us.

The Dube!

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 05/02/17 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Eric
Thanks Steve. What year is that catalog?
Posted by: Killbuck

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 06/15/17 06:12 PM

Those knives look identical to ones produced by Warthers in Ohio.
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 06/16/17 12:03 AM

Yep, I believe they are Warthers.

Pap
Posted by: Lofty

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 06/16/17 12:32 AM

Major relief after reading thru thread. Was afraid it a new post and it turning out mine was not one of a kind (for good reason).

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 06/22/17 10:44 PM

Yes, totally bogus, and a lot of views, not one amused reply, and now worry a week later that some visting folk think it real. It is a Trekker laid atop a Buxton, period.

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 06/23/17 12:52 AM

Deader than a dodo. Call the sound engineer.

Given the lack of posts on near any thread over the last week, but hundred of views, could easily imagine someone using this place as an RMK reference library thinking the attempt at levity to be serious.
Posted by: Dirty_Water

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 06/23/17 08:39 AM

Well, there's goes that discussion with GTR out the window!!! Just when I almost had him convinced!!!

Re: Randall/Swiss Army Knife - 06/23/17 01:56 PM

See what I mean, folks? Even the shop uses this site as a reference and can be led astray. I guess no point now in showing the Mission Knives titanium MPK rehandled by the shop in 1961, it could only cause problems.

Given Victorinox making a good living selling advertisement knives, including blank spots on off side scales of aluminum folders such as the original latter SAK, and printing/graphics on tenite scales and lasering of logos on the blades, has the shop ever considered carrying a line of the folders with shop logo?

I had posted these to a gallery a year ago. Kinda wondered why nothing as this available from the shop, even this little flying club with one airplane has a pretty nifty two knives, with great graphics, including lasered on blades, available. With the RMK logo stuff and already even some work done for RMK by same company, would seem turn over would be brisk.

I can tell you straight off that alox and red and no key ring such as the pictured knife a very hot seller by anybody. It closely dupes the discontinued original SAK from 1961, (even if a scratch-o-matic and why red dropped on issue knives by 1964 and scratch-masking silver used from then on). Aside from scale-blade markings/checkering pattern, this new knife IS the latter issue alox knife, and folk REALLY like that discontinued knife and buy anything even close. Heck, even same but with two of Randall logo color contrasting scales.