Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!!

Posted by: vklough46

Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/18/07 07:31 AM

Thanks to all that have participated thus far.

Model 7 Fisherman-Hunter

The Model 7 Fisherman was designed as a scaled-down version of the Model 3 Hunter.

From Randall Made Knives: The History of the Man and the Blades by Robert L. Gaddis, pp107-108
Quote:

Almost immediately, the concept of a reduced-scale version of his new Hunter suggested itself to Bo as an ideal knife for his fellow fisherman. An avid fisherman since his youth, Bo viewed this new knife as a labor of love, and he got to work on the project right away. He tried both 4- and 4 1/2-inch blades at first, rapidly settling on the 4 1/2. Bo wanted just the right grip for cleaning brook trout and similar-size fish, so he reduced the handle size from the new Hunter and modified its shape some. Naturally, he named this one the "Fisherman," and some early prototypes with the 4-inch blade went to a few dealers during the latter part of September 1945.

From the current catalog:
" Model 7 Fisherman-Hunter 4 1/2" and 5" blades of 3/16" stock. 4 1/4"-5/8" leather handle. Brass hilt. Duralumin butt cap. Similar to Model 3 except this knife is smaller and lighter. Ideal for small game, creel and tackle box."

Along with the Model 3 the Model 7 is one of my own personal favorites.

Lady and gentlemen may we please see some Model 7's.
Kevin
Posted by: crutchtip

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/18/07 09:32 AM

Here is a nice one circa late 1945-46 in a Moore sheath.

Posted by: Burnie

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/18/07 09:46 AM

Here is a model 7-5" Oosik handle, SS blade, NSH, Nickle butt plate, thumb notches, black&silver spacers with black sheath.
Posted by: BoBlade

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/18/07 10:10 AM

This one came up on e-bay about 5-6 years ago. I lost it to Perry. He still had it when I saw him at the next Blade Show and we've been friends ever since I figure late '46 / early '47. Coolest 7 I've ever seen.

This one came up on e-bay about the same time. A buy-it-now from "Earl the Pearl" (He frequents this forum from time to time). This one started my pin stag collection. I tried to get the best example of every model I could and had some decent ones before my collection theme turned to Hunters. I love the piece of stag on this one as well as the nickel silver pin that matches the hilt (According to Doug the pin is aluminum or unobtainium but I digress ) Photo courtesy of Sheldon's photographer Jim McDonald.

This one popped up on e-bay not too long ago buy-it-now. The price was good and the knife and sheath were so damned nice I coldn't resist.

Posted by: patrickjames

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/18/07 10:27 AM

Nice one Burnie!
Posted by: widmn

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/18/07 10:56 AM

Here's one with BIG stag.
Posted by: Hagsjr

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/18/07 11:24 AM

Model 7 with Treeman Yellow Micarta.

Jerry

Posted by: escapement

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/18/07 12:28 PM

I’ve never seen a #7 I didn’t like…

#7-4 1/2 , SS, NS hilt, stag w/ finger grips, Dura. Butt, wrist thong. No-hone sheath. Late 80s.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/18/07 01:05 PM

Thanks Patrick, The model 7 is one of my all time favorites just the right size!
Posted by: tunefink

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/18/07 04:27 PM

Here is an old yeller in a Johnson Smmoth back.... with a #6 grind and a reduced hilt.

And an another in old brown micarta and seven spacers....in a Johnson rough Back sheath.

Posted by: Ausblade

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/19/07 03:41 AM

Here's one that was deliverd at the end of October

Stainless, nickel silver hilt, black micarta handle aluminum and black spacers.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/19/07 06:06 AM

I would like to thank everyone for such a great first day response.
From Joe and Ron's early models to Graham's present day knife. All are wonderful examples of RMK's highly skilled craftsman.
Thanks,
Kevin
Posted by: Cabinet_Man

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/19/07 12:21 PM

Those are some great pics guys! There isn't one there that I would not love to own. These are my current 7's. As luck would have it, the UPS guy just dropped off the 7 with the 6 grind this morning... I had sent it to Sullivan's not too long ago to be custom fitted to a black sheath so I can have one of both colors. I snapped a pic of it with it's new sheath and will post it too just because it's neat.
~dale

P.S. I'd also like to add that the #7 has proven to be a very useful knife for us. It is light weight, very well balanced, large enough to do most any skinning/cleaning job you will encounter, yet small enough you won't even know you're carrying it. It's running a close second to the model 8's for being my favorite model for a user knife, and in all fairness to it, is actually probably tied for a favorite depending on the task at hand. Bo had it figured out when he down scaled the #3 for this model... overall, a SPECTACULAR knife! I urge anyone who doesn't have one to place this model on their list of knives to order. If you plan on using it, you won't be disappointed, and if you just want to hold and look it, you got a winner there too.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/19/07 12:22 PM

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/19/07 12:42 PM

By the way Rick, the 7 with the #6 grind has a very nice "white", smooth area on the handle... and as luck would have it, it's on the left side...hint, hint. Maybe you can think about a scene for it in your spare time (I know, I know, what's spare time? ).
~dale

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/21/07 08:13 AM

Great knives from top to bottom Dale!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for sharing them.
Kevin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/21/07 02:52 PM

Thanks Kevin, I get a lot of enjoyment from them (actually, the kids and I both do).

Graham,
Every time I look at the pic of your 7, it makes me wish the one I ordered in micarta was already here...that's a keeper you got there.
~dale
Posted by: Ausblade

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/21/07 09:49 PM

Dale when it arrived I kicked myself for not ordering stag and another option. But pretty knives end up locked in the safe. This one resides in one of my hunting packs, it will become a favorite.

I do regret not getting the #6 grind though. Thinking about it. If the blade was a bit deeper and a bit shorter with a #6 grind it would be my perfect hunting knife. I think that's a close description of a GTR Special.

Add some black and metal spacers, a gold micarta or orange G10 gip so as it is easy to find when you put it down on the ground, a compass to find myself, pehaps some thumb notches and a waxed sheath.

It's time to order another knife.
Posted by: red_river

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/22/07 11:08 AM

I put this in the Edo thread, I'll show it here too.
7-4, brown micarta, compass.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/22/07 11:39 AM

Very nice, JP. I agree with Dale about what a great little user a Model 7 can be. Some of the handle options make it even more ergonomic like your BP. A single finger grip handle is another like this burgundy Micarta one with unusual spacers.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/22/07 12:12 PM

Graham,
I understand. The one I ordered has AGM, with a compass. The stag is beautiful, and has proven to be very durable beyond a doubt. The 7's I have now are all stag, and I like them very much, but just wanted a micarta user because it's so easy to clean and take care of... and I like it in yellow! But I was so excited when I wrote the order that I forgot to add the #6 grind. Oh well, in any config., it is still a great knife IMO!
~dale
Posted by: Guido_Bitossi

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/22/07 12:15 PM

HAVE A PEACEFUL THANKSGIVING DAY AMONG ALL YOUR BELOVED.

Best
Guido

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/22/07 12:42 PM

Guido,
Just when I thought I had seen all of your beautiful Randall examples, you go and throw an exceptional one at me. That's very nice... I love scrim!
~dale
Posted by: tomthbomb

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/30/09 04:50 PM

Here is a #7 with #6 grind. It features the old Westinghouse micarta and some unusual spacers. Can anyone help estimate an age for this one?

Posted by: David

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/31/09 02:44 PM

Here is my son's Model 7 and a Model 5 that I picked up around the same time.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/31/09 05:01 PM

Here is a early 50's pinned model 7. One of the best user models in the randall line! IMO.
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 02/03/09 01:09 AM

Tom,
I'd guess between the late 70's and early 80's. I certainly could be off, but not by much.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 03/03/09 02:04 PM

Here's a 7-4 1/2" I forgot to add to this thread. I just took these pics recently and made me think of it.
~dale

-walnut
-SS
-N/S
-butt cap w/ exposed nut
-wrist thong
-alum/black spacers

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 03/15/09 04:26 PM

Here is a vintage model 7-5" seperate S, ebony handle, 7-spacer w/brass escutcheon plate. JRB sheath w/combo stone. MFG 1964.
Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 03/15/09 08:08 PM

VERY NICE, BURNIE!
A "classy, classic" Randall.
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/11/09 04:15 PM

Our good friend, Kent Warnberg, wanted to share some of his knives and sheaths with us. Here are two Model 7-4"s. The first one has a very pretty cocobolo handle with engraving done by Ron Skaggs. The sheath is Diamondback rattlesnake.

The second 7-4" has a great ironwood handle and the engraving is by Joe Mason. The sheath is beaver tail with a tooled belt loop.
Thanks,
Kevin

Posted by: Warren_Polidori

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/11/09 06:15 PM

Kent,

All I can tell ya is something that I heard once or twice from a good friend of mine, "you get all the good knives".
Those are several of the nicest 7"s on the planet.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/11/09 07:31 PM

Kent,
ANOTHER BEAUTY! I especially like the geometric pattern on the hilt!
Tony
Posted by: Kent_Warnberg

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/13/09 11:15 AM

Warren and Tony,

Again many thanks go to Kevin, for the Great job he did shooting picts of these!

Since your the only two reading this, I will tell you how that sheath came about. My slot for 3 sheaths came up with Greg, and we talked a few times about what material he should use. We decided on diamondback rattler with a border for the 4-6, and natural baby horn back crock for the #26. We then talked about the 7-5, (the one with ironwood, and engraved by Joe Mason), and kicked around a few ideas. This is the honest to gosh truth, I don't even remember talking about Beaver! I may have said, "just find something that you think will match".

When I got the knives back, I about fell off my chair as I was surprised and Very Happy to see the #7 in Beaver, and Tooling to boot! If you can't tell, I really like the work that Greg did, and how it turned out! I would order another one in beaver in a heart beat. Really nice stuff. I think that with the outstanding engraving by Joe, and now a awesome sheath to boot, I may as well just keep this one !
Kent

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/13/09 04:52 PM

Kent,
Thanks for sharing that story.
Those sheaths do indeed, match the knives beautifully!
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/15/09 10:25 AM

Did someone say Model #7's? O.K. Here ya' go...
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/15/09 10:40 AM

AGM handle, with compass installed and a wrist thong.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/15/09 10:51 AM

Here's another!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/15/09 10:58 AM

In the day when we could get fg's on 3/16" Randalls...Also compass and wrist thong.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/15/09 11:02 AM

Here's another...This one is 5" long and has a custom wood handle (Lignum Vitae)
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/15/09 11:07 AM

Another one...This is 4 1/2" (heavy blade) and has fossil walrus, teardropped handle.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/15/09 11:10 AM

Here's another view.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/15/09 11:12 AM

One more...
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/15/09 11:14 AM

I had Greg make me a "pouch" sheath for it...
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/15/09 11:16 AM

ET1, just so I can remember who it belongs to...
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/15/09 11:31 AM

I'll apologize, ahead of time, for the quality of some of the next shots. This "pair" of Randalls are bruied deep within my stash and won't surface again until hunting season. I have used this set of knives so much, and for so long, that the #7-5", #6 grind knife is on it's "third" sheath!! Enjoy!!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/15/09 11:35 AM

Another view...
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/15/09 11:38 AM

Again...fg's on 3/16" stock Randall knives (no longer an available option)...
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/15/09 11:43 AM

Name etching on both knives. I have Randalls in my "stash" that are more valuable, but none that have served me so well or are a better "matched" pair. To come up with 2 pieces of stag so close in texture, matrix and color is quite unique. Hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I do. I am working on a "carving" set with some of my "stashed stag" that, if it all flies, I'll post photos of at a later date. They are still in the "planning" stages...
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/15/09 01:28 PM

Great looking #7's there Capt., and functional too. I have used my #7 on many deer and elk. I do like the idea of a #6 grind on the blade. Can one send a regular #7 back to the shop and get a #6 grind done?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/15/09 01:33 PM

No...They cannot. The knife has to be ordered with that option.
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: doublethink98

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/16/09 10:53 AM

Capt in your opinion what benefits does the model 6 grind add to a blade? i.e. easier sharpening?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/16/09 11:41 AM

A Model #7 is "named" The "Fisherman-Hunter". It certainly lives up to that name..."BUT"...(There comes that word again) the #6 grind makes the knife far better suited for the "fish" side of the name. You can lay the blade down (flatter) and skin fish easier, faster and closer.
It also works better in the kitchen. That's why a Model #6-4 1/2", "Steak" knife is so named and chosen by the Randall shop to accompany the #6-9", Carving set. In short, at least for "me", ordering your Model #7-4 1/2" or 5" with a #6 grind just makes more sense...for it's "intended" purpose.
If you are looking for more of an "all-around" knife (I'm not ever sure what that means) then the standard grind "Fisherman'Hunter" might be the better choice. It has a little more "backbone" and is the perfect companion to it's big brother, The Model #3! Hope this "sorta" answers your question.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/16/09 11:50 AM

Ever seen a #3 with a #6 grind??

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/16/09 12:05 PM

Mike,
Yes I have. Although they are not available at the present time, the Randall shop made them in the past. I don't know the exact amount, but it was certainly more than just one forging and went on for a period of time.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/16/09 03:32 PM

Here's an early one (Sheath is a bit older then the knife):

Best,

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/16/09 04:02 PM

Great knife Ron, How much time diff. in sheath and knife?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/16/09 04:10 PM

Thanks, Bernie. I own just the sheath and not the knife. The sheath is mid '46 or earlier. The knife could be as much as 10 years later. With the No. 6 grind the ability to narrow it down by whether or not it has a "blade flat" goes away.

Best,
Posted by: Perry Miller

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/16/09 07:16 PM

Here's a nice Model 3 with the Model 6 grind from the early to mid 60's...

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/16/09 11:30 PM

Perry-

That's a great looking knife and a real "user" IMHO. Thanks for posting.
Posted by: Warren_Polidori

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 05/18/09 10:08 PM

Just going through this thread I couldn't find another example of a 7-4.5 with a crown stag handle. I don't know how many were handled this way but my guess is very few. I purchased this knife earlier this year while I was building my collection of crown stag knives which eventually evolved into the clock photo. This was in fact the last crown stag knife that I needed for the photo project. It is a very well balanced and proportioned knife and it would make a great user. If anyone has additional examples of a Model 7 in Crown Stag please post some photos.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 07/19/09 03:34 PM

A recently acquired #7-4" with Rosewood handle.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 07/19/09 05:04 PM

Looks like that one came in a roughback sheath!! Nice!!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 07/19/09 05:27 PM

Yes it does, Captain! Both knife and sheath are just about mint ... no sign of use on either.
Thanks,
Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 07/21/09 06:41 PM

Tony,
Just so he doesn't feel "entirely" left out, here's a couple of pics for Tom.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 07/21/09 06:44 PM

I like this knife so much that I allocated one of my last 3 pieces of antique gold micarta to have a Model #3-6" made up to match it! I think that will be a terrific companion pair!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 07/21/09 06:47 PM

I realize that I won't be able to get all "8" options on the #3 (counting the black sheath). Haven't decided which ones to eliminate.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 07/21/09 06:50 PM

I really won't need 2 compasses...but they look so cool!! Decisions, decisions.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 07/21/09 10:18 PM

Captain,
I'm yellow with envy!
(I know ... I've used that one before)
Posted by: tomthbomb

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 07/22/09 08:01 PM

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 07/22/09 09:32 PM

Tom,
That looks like one comfortable handle!
Tony
Posted by: 1gunner

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 08/06/09 12:22 AM

Here's a recent acquisition of my son's...the whole package. I like it when a story can go with the original owner of the knife. No, nothing special ever went on with this knife but the original owner had quite a fullfilling life. Oh, and a special bonus of a near mint Blue Label Stone.

Enjoy, Tom
Posted by: 1gunner

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 08/06/09 12:24 AM

And another...

Tom

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 08/16/09 08:53 AM

Tom,
What a great example of an early #7. Congrats to your son on a fantastic find.
~dale

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 08/16/09 08:55 AM

Here are some pics I though I would add to the sticky thread for reference.
~dale

One in ivory...

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 08/16/09 09:00 AM

This knife was posted before, has the #6 blade grind, but wanted to show the custom made sheath from Greg at Sullivan's... a dark brown hornback croc (just amazing). Greg's work is beyond a doubt worthy of posting pics for all to see.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 08/16/09 09:03 AM

One with the "Brass & Red" which isn't seen too often. Also has the "rounded" butt cap which feels soft or smoother than the standard edged cap in the palm of your hand.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 08/16/09 09:06 AM

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 08/16/09 09:08 AM

To show the difference between the standard and #6 blade grinds for any of you who would like to see them side by side.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 08/16/09 09:10 AM

Posted by: Peter_Kaufman

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/23/11 08:01 PM

I had noticed recently that I had no model 7, I have since corrected that grievous error, with this attractive 4 1/2 inch version, with my favorite wood and a border patrol handle style.
I don't know why I hadn't picked one up earlier, it is a great model.

Peter

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/24/11 02:19 PM

Other than my Model 5, my most used Randall has been my #7-4 1/2. Both are over 30 years old. I sent the original one to Mr. Johnson for a custom pouch sheath. No telling how many elk and mule deer I have gutted and skinned with my 2 Model 7's. As I have stated before, my first #7 was taken by the wife as she loved it's small features, so I immediately ordered another one. I now also have a #3-6 but it hasn't had the "experience" that my #7's have.

Pap
Posted by: Holzinger258

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/25/11 02:38 PM

I've always liked the Model 7 -- this is one of the first Randalls I ever ordered, and it was early enough so that the Randall shop was still willing to put finger grips on small handles.
Posted by: RKS3500

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 03/16/13 02:04 PM

A couple of newer model 7's, both with #6 blade grinds, these are keepers. cool

Rob
Posted by: Steven

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 03/17/13 10:26 AM

Nice stag. Love the 6 grind.
Posted by: CrazyCajun

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 03/17/13 01:08 PM

Great lookers! Also like the 6 grind!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 03/17/13 03:42 PM

Two Beauties!
Posted by: RKS3500

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 03/17/13 09:49 PM

Thanks Guys! A couple more...

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 03/18/13 06:59 AM

Here some of my Mod. #7 never posted before:

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 03/18/13 07:20 AM

My Friend Tunefink posted(on page 1) Old yella' steak knife...shell we consider #7 ?..or as catalog says:....a #6..?
Posted by: Aggiemike

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 03/18/13 10:58 AM

Very nice Guido!! You always have exceptional quality knives. You have a very good eye for style.

Mike Webb
Aggiemike
Posted by: NoLimits

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 03/18/13 01:09 PM

Jesus!! If I see the collections....... no comment!!

But:
I am so glad with one Randall!! What will I be if I´ll buy more...?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 03/18/13 01:12 PM

Good point Guido...... same knife..... but maybe in a sheath it's #7 with a #6 grind.... and a #6 when it's with a set??

Beautiful set by the way!
Posted by: Skeetdoc

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 03/18/13 04:03 PM

Just took delivery of a new 7-4.5 with a 6 grind and reduced hilt set up like a Chef knife. Sheath was a 6 4.

For what it's worth.

doug e.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 03/18/13 04:55 PM

Roger Tune..!...while expecting Capt. words... grin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 03/30/13 06:06 PM

Here's my late 70's-early 80's #7-4, seperate "S", #6 grind, NS squared hilt, thumb notches, maroon micarta and a Johnson pouch sheath. About as pretty a little user one could have. If it only had a wrist thong and a compass, it would be the bomb. As is, I can't wait to use it. So many Randalls, so little time........

Pap

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 03/31/13 10:49 AM

VERY Nice Mike!!!!!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 03/31/13 11:27 AM

Mike/Pap!

Perfekt knife-sheath-combination for a user!!
Posted by: kaos

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/05/13 01:41 PM

Here is my daily driver 7-4 been on my hip since 1997 or 98 would have to look it up in my records but it has achieved many chores. Like for instance Eating/Trimming a N.Y. Strip at Don Shulas Steak House to bait, stripping wire, fixing bald tire's on motorcycles (not the most uplifting chore for a road captain but it beats a blow out at the front of the pack that would endanger other rider's lives) and last but not least just looking pretty awesome on my hip...enjoy the pictures if they post

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/05/13 04:57 PM

The used knives are the best!!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/06/13 01:56 PM

Ah,
A noble user!
Posted by: alan_grombacher

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/06/13 09:25 PM

That one looks like my #1 son's favorite knife. He uses for everything from cheese to deer and bear.

Cheers,

Alan Grombacher
RKS#5531
RKCC-CMI-010
Posted by: Llasi

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/09/14 07:50 AM

My #7-5.

Posted by: Buck Buchanan

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/09/14 06:50 PM

Classic model 7-5 with beautiful stag handle.

Looks like a waxed sheath. A new arrival?

Let us know when the meat's done and we'll drop by. grin wink

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/09/14 08:14 PM

Other than the Model #5, the Model #7-5 is my most used Randall. A great choice.

Pap

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/10/14 03:14 AM

I arrive in 8/2012.
A Steak Tartare?.

Posted by: Art DeCamp

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/29/14 04:25 PM

Here are some photos of the newest Model 7-4 I just scored this week off eBay from Duke McCaa at Gulf Breeze.

Model 7-4-1/2"
Stainless blade
#6 grind
Brass & black spacers
Maroon micarta handle
tear-drop shaped handle
brass hilt
My new "favorite" knife!

Art DeCamp

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/29/14 05:56 PM

I can see why it's your new favorite; a very nicely optioned #7. I have one almost identical only it has a JRB pouch sheath. Congrats!!

Pap
Posted by: desert.snake

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 10/25/14 05:51 AM

Mod 7-4.5"
Stag, Reduced Hilt, two shells - original and new.
Received as a gift from my old friend.
I am very happy smile
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 10/25/14 07:44 AM

Beautiful Knife!!
You have a very nice friend!!
:-)Rocky
Posted by: Daniele

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 10/25/14 02:39 PM

GREAT knives, Guys!
I ' m Green of envy!
Best,

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/11/15 12:57 PM

Here is an older Model 7-4-1/2" I've had for a while. I like Model 7's!
Art DeCamp

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/12/15 12:31 PM

That is a very nice "oldie" for sure. After my first Model 1, I bought a Modle 7 and used it alot for a few years until I got my first Model 5-5.

Pap
Posted by: Jacknola

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/12/15 02:07 PM

I think the model-3 and model-7 blades are the two most graceful and visually appealing of all the Randall models... even though I have mostly m-1s, m-2s and m-14s. Art, your oldie is especially nice because I like the deeper choll that lends a kind of delicate look ... the "wasp-neck" from a couple of years earlier with a really deep choll has even more visual depth.

Here is a model-7 I found crusing the net. It may be one of the most beautiful and interesting of any model-7 partly because of its rosewood box and handle, and of course because of the initials of Mr. Randall on the ricosso. The story can be read at this link, worth the read:

http://svalbardrepublic.org/ebay/randall-boxed0910.htm

It has a fairly rare Johnson brown button sheath*, no model numbers on back, which probably dates the knife pretty precisely to late '62, early '63. This of course would be one of the first sheaths made by Johnson.

* this sheath has most of the characteristics of an early Johnson brown button... but the stitching seems poor.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/12/15 03:20 PM

Beautiful knife, grind #6?
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 05/04/15 08:47 AM

Originally Posted By: oldguy
I sure wish that we could still get Red and White spacers again. oldguy

Me too:
Posted by: Billy Poyner

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 05/04/15 09:24 PM

7 G10 Jade

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 05/04/15 09:39 PM

old one

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 05/05/15 01:48 PM

Nice fairly early Model 7-4.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 05/05/15 06:30 PM

Art,
You just "drop in" and post that beauty!!!
not fair!!!
got more?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 06/22/15 09:59 PM

The postman just delivered this early Model 7-4 today. Note its diminutive size compared to the 7-4-1/2" with Heiser sheath shown below it in the second picture.

Perhaps someone knows more than I about this very early Model 7.
Art DeCamp
Posted by: samg

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 06/23/15 07:05 AM

Art. You have a very nice pair of #7's there. Nice sheaths too. Especially the top Clarence Moore sheath with both a translucent and brown button snap.
I would guess both to be made in the 1945-'49 range, judging the peened tang on them both, with the bottom knife with the Heiser sheath just a bit older. Your newer one seems to have a more defined grind line.
Great pair of knives Art.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 06/23/15 07:57 AM

Art what are the markings on the sheath pictured at bottom

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 06/23/15 10:15 AM

Burnie:
See photos of the backs of both sheaths posted below. They are in the same order as my first post. Bottom knife shown second.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 12/14/15 03:14 PM

My #7-5.

Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 12/14/15 03:23 PM

That's a great lookin 7, and that weaved sheath... W.O.W. !!!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 12/14/15 03:33 PM

Agreed!!

Pap
Posted by: raymond

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 12/14/15 04:50 PM

oh yeah! that sheath just yells for attention! smile
Posted by: GHD

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 12/14/15 04:55 PM

Here's my 7-4, maple burl handle.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 12/14/15 05:27 PM

The Maple is great, but what are the spacers?
Posted by: NW Michigan

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 12/14/15 07:21 PM

GHD, Your handle wood is Birdseye Maple, and very nice at that!

Doug

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 12/14/15 07:43 PM

I had to look at the spacers under a loupe , The thin spacers are a browm micarta with very thin red on either side, then white , and a thick brown micata in the center.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 12/14/15 07:49 PM

thought that was brown, extremely awesome set up there!
Posted by: maxpastor

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 12/14/15 07:50 PM

very nice knife and great looking Maple handle. 1977 to 1986 era would be my guess on date of knife.

congratulations.

max

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 12/14/15 07:51 PM

Birdseye maple, your right, don't know why I was think burl, Duh. Gettig old I guess :-)
Posted by: Ronnie

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 12/14/15 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Art DeCamp
The postman just delivered this early Model 7-4 today. Note its diminutive size compared to the 7-4-1/2" with Heiser sheath shown below it in the second picture.

Perhaps someone knows more than I about this very early Model 7.
Art DeCamp

Pretty sure it's in a Moore sheath. Now someone will come on and tell me I'm wrong....again.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 12/15/15 06:23 PM

Possibly, faded red-white-blue spacers.

Nice old model 7.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 02/26/16 07:12 PM

Just picked up this neat little 7-4.5 with brass collar and coolie cap.
Posted by: Tattoo Bill

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 02/26/16 08:06 PM

Very nice looking knife!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 02/26/16 10:01 PM

interesting options!!!
Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 02/26/16 10:47 PM

Now that is a sweet #7!!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 03/03/16 03:21 PM

#7-5", 5 spacer knife with "large" separate "S".
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 03/03/16 03:24 PM

W O W !!!!
Posted by: Hayst

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/09/16 12:30 PM

Added for reference, 7 spacer 7-5 with Johnson roughback and original stone.

Yes, it was unused before I got my grubby hands on it.
Posted by: willhunt

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/09/16 10:23 PM

Here is a Model 7-5, with some very nice stag and options. And a little dreaming of days gone by....

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/15/16 09:17 AM

Here is a group of Model 7's, some of which are now RFO.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/15/16 09:25 AM

WOW !!! smile

I can ask you for a photo finger grips on bottom knife?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/15/16 09:49 AM

Here is a "crop" of the 7-5 with finger grips. I can take a better one if you want.
Posted by: BladesNBarrels

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/15/16 10:14 AM

Not sure what the abbreviation is, so internet search shows:

RFO = Republicans for Obama
RFO = Recycled Fuel Oil
RFO = Ready for Operation
RFO = Regional Field Office
RFO = Residual Frequency Offset
RFO = Request for Observation
RFO = Reserve Force Officer
RFO = Rocky Flats Office (Here in Colorado)

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/15/16 10:28 AM

Quote:
Here is a "crop" of the 7-5 with finger grips. I can take a better one if you want.

Thank you!
Posted by: TAH

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/15/16 10:59 AM

Originally Posted By: BladesNBarrels

Not sure what the abbreviation is, so internet search shows:

RFO = Recycled Fuel Oil

My guess is #3 - "Ready for Operation". The Model 7 is perfect for performing surgery. wink

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/15/16 01:19 PM

"RFO" in this context = Randall Formerly Owned.
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/15/16 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: BladesNBarrels

RFO = Recycled Fuel Oil

And in my world:

RFO = Reason for Outage

laugh
Posted by: Ruger44special

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/24/16 10:29 AM

Here's my 7-4 with ivorite handle.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/24/16 11:28 AM

Whooooaaaa, THIS 1 should be moved to the Fir Sale thread ... cool
Posted by: dutch8

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/28/16 05:25 PM

I would like to get as much information as I can on this special model 7...the sheath is beautifully made, and may be original??? Thanks

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/28/16 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Ruger44special
Here's my 7-4 with ivorite handle.

It could be in good company in one of my safes!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/28/16 08:06 PM

Just to be sure: The sheath is "not" original.
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris
Posted by: dutch8

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/30/16 09:37 PM

Can anyone come close to the age of this Randall thanks a lot

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 05/02/16 03:08 PM

Howdy folks,
I was rummaging through my "stash" and came across a pretty scarce Randall. Hope you like it. 8 options..."+"...a brown-stitched sheath!
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris
PS: Yeah I know. The nickel silver hilt needs cleanin'...(ugh)

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 05/02/16 03:20 PM

PPS: Just move this over to the "FISHING" build as the knife offered... let the new owner worry about cleaning the Nickel! grin
Posted by: Billy Poyner

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 05/02/16 05:28 PM

James I agree with you.It would cause a bidding war in a hurry.
Would be no need to draw numbers to see who got it!!Like we say around here.Be gone in a New York minute(which is only 30 seconds)

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 05/02/16 05:41 PM

LOL!!!
Posted by: Eric

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 06/07/16 07:37 AM

Model 7 with Ivory. Pommel has Brass nut and Brass washer.
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 06/07/16 07:47 AM

Wow, slender profile similar to a 8-4X but needle-like.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 06/07/16 03:26 PM

that is a super knife. lets see the sheath and stone also.

what a profile, is the top edge sharpened?

max

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 06/07/16 07:07 PM

Eric!!!
That knife.....It's just magnificent!!!
takes my breath...
OMG
I have nothing more to say

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 06/08/16 10:07 AM

Originally Posted By: maxpastor
that is a super knife. lets see the sheath and stone also.

what a profile, is the top edge sharpened?

max

Max, Thanks again. I bought it without a sheath. The 5" blade does not have a sharpened top edge.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 06/08/16 10:09 AM

Rocky, Thanks for the kind words. Eric
Posted by: JE6245

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 10/26/16 05:20 PM

Here's a new-to-me model 7-5 courtesy of Mr. Tunefink. Pictures also courtesy of same. Seven spacers and Heiser sheath. Late '50's maybe. And, yes, I did notice the cracks and checks but I have to say that's a big part of what appealed to me actually. I think the knife has a helluva a lot of character. Anyway, very happy to add it to the small but growing herd.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 10/26/16 05:36 PM

VERY cool add jim!!!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 10/26/16 05:38 PM

Nice! Love the oldies, they have so much character.
Posted by: JE6245

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 10/26/16 07:10 PM

Thanks guys. I'm really liking the old gal.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 10/26/16 08:07 PM

Lovely old gal Jim.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 10/26/16 09:24 PM

You the man, Jimmy!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 10/26/16 09:27 PM

it's a beauty!!
Posted by: Boomer51

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/19/17 07:20 PM

1970's 7-5 with NS hilt and compass. Love this knife!
Posted by: New2Randalls

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/19/17 09:47 PM

That's a very nice looking knife. I especially like the ns hilt, compass and stag handle. The person that originally ordered it really chose his options wisely.

Dan Snyder
RKCC CM155

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/19/17 10:08 PM

Yes, very similar to my third Randall that I ordered in 1976. Very nice.

Pap

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/19/17 10:11 PM

Awesome knife, did anyone mention mint?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/19/17 10:25 PM

I am working through a group of old knives I just received. This is a dandy.

Late 1940's, peened tang, Moore sheath..... Very little use, original grind lines are still right there!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/20/17 10:25 AM

Very nice, Tune.

Pap

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/20/17 10:39 AM

That REALLY is an awesome looking #7, and the sheath as well. Great package!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/20/17 06:19 PM

I've posted this one before, but now show compass...

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/23/17 08:56 AM

I love everything about that knife, Steve.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/23/17 10:00 AM

I agree with Tom... that's pretty much a perfect
#7!!!!!!!
Posted by: Birdsinhere2

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/23/17 01:05 PM

I have to agree. That low s model 7 is awesome! Love everything about it.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/23/17 01:20 PM

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the comments!
Posted by: Boomer51

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/24/17 06:13 PM

That's a nice one indeed.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 05/18/17 03:05 PM

I like the Model 7 so much that I just got another--this one's a Model 6 grind with thuya handle. (Thanks, Captain Chris!)
Posted by: Chief

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 05/18/17 09:13 PM

Sexy, I like the grain!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 05/18/17 09:58 PM

A Model 7 with a Model 6 grind is hard to beat. The only one better would be a Model 3 with a #6 grind. Except it isn't allowed.

Pap
Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 05/18/17 10:04 PM

Model 7 with a 6 grind? Here's one.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 05/19/17 08:40 PM

That's a classy look! Really thinking of doing more collars.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/10/18 10:07 PM

A pair of pretty Model 7's. The ivory one has been posted here before, but she's made her way around to me. I fell in love with it the first time I ever saw her. And many thanks to Tattoo Bill for giving me a shot at it.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/11/18 08:22 AM

Those are absolutely stunning, Will.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/11/18 08:54 AM

WOW!

Beauties!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/11/18 11:03 AM

love that ivory!!!

Posted by: GCTom41

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 04/11/18 11:44 AM

Will,

Beautiful pair of 7's-classics!

Tom Flynn
Posted by: Attila Mezzini

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 06/20/18 06:41 AM

Finally, my first Mod 7.
Just the way I like RMKs, TS bladed and vintage.
A very special "Thank You" goes to Guido Bitossi, friend and Mentor.
Posted by: Sphinx3000

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 06/20/18 08:00 PM

Great knife!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/22/19 07:12 PM

This is a Model 7-5 that I got after clicking on the Miles Welze banner at the top. Just couldn't resist the old creamy ivory. Model 7-5 with pinned ivory and nickel silver hilt. A bit of a double stamp on the riveted Heiser sheath, but still in fine shape for a 70+ year old sheath. I also took a pic with a few other pinned ivory knives from the same time frame.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/22/19 07:51 PM

That's a Great collection you have! Beautiful!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/22/19 08:07 PM

Yup good ones for sure. The 11 is awesome.
Posted by: Dirty_Water

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/22/19 11:04 PM

Those are indeed gorgeous knives Will!! That old style 8-4 reminds of the Randall family steak knife set with the round hilts that I've drooled over a couple of times!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 02/07/19 08:57 PM

7-5 early 70's I think

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 02/07/19 10:38 PM

Nice find Max, love the oldies
Posted by: Sphinx3000

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 02/08/19 05:16 AM

Great looking classic knives.
Posted by: lummox

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 01/18/21 09:22 AM

I have a 7-4.5 stag, BB, 2-tone stone, Heiser sheath with an oddly located "S" left of the RMK logo. It's very faint. I'll attach a pic. Questions: Ever see an "S" stamp left of the logo? The knife seems to be pre-1963, but didn't stainless knives by Randall start after that?
Posted by: Lori

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 08/10/21 08:26 PM

So it is a pretty known fact that the Mabry Household loves a number 2. But I saw this model 7 at the Alabama Gun Show back in July and fell in love with it. The knife was once owned by a gentleman who was in the Army and went to Europe and was an avid outdoorsman.
Posted by: Shoot870p

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 08/10/21 09:52 PM

Sure would like to hear some tales these older knives could share!
Walker
Posted by: BladesNBarrels

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 08/12/21 05:38 PM

I like it!
Posted by: JB in SC

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 09/28/21 10:13 AM

Seeing these 7’s “forced” me to order a basic 4 1/2” to add to my small Randall’s.
Posted by: Mindelsee

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/15/21 08:33 PM

Nordic Knives has two of the nicest 1950’s model 7’s For sale right now. Too bad I do not have a spare $8000 grand or so laying about,…

https://nordicknives.com/collections/randall-knives
Posted by: Wally

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/15/21 09:05 PM

They look like model 4s to me. Am I crazy or what?
Posted by: Mindelsee

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/15/21 09:13 PM

Wally, not at all. They have a scaled down model 4 profile- for sure.
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/15/21 09:14 PM

I have no idea what model 7s looked like in 1957, but by today's blade shape, they certainly look more like model 4s than 7s.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/15/21 09:19 PM

very interesting...my thoughts too....#4??? I bought this combination many years ago....the best Heiser sheath I've ever seen....now, I see 2 more....WTF...how is this possible?? the leather is perfect....50+ years...on all 3...just what are the odds??

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/15/21 09:21 PM

Look at Nordics website, click on the knives, and look what the accompanying papers from RMK say.
Posted by: Gert

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/16/21 09:02 AM

And why does the sheaths say "7" ? I'm lost here.

Beautiful knives though!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/16/21 09:17 AM

Some blades are pretty close in overall blade outline, so RMK would occasionally put different models of knives and sheaths together as a means of expediency. 4 1/2" Model 4 was a standard size (no longer) available in 1957, so a model 7- 4 1/2" sheath fits. No need to have basically the same sheath made simply to have the "correct" model number stamped on it.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/16/21 09:20 AM

it's funny.....I don't know either.....didn't really notice the "7" on the other sheaths....interchangeable....back then, as I been able to understand they did not put that much weight on numbers matching...
my guess

Posted by: Lori

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/16/21 10:01 AM

Let's don't forget that General Westmoreland carried a model 5, in a sheath stamped 1-6.
Posted by: LarryWW1246

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/16/21 11:43 AM

So, these are vintage Model 4-4 ˝ knives per the paperwork from RMK at the time, although Nordic listed them as Model 7-4 ˝ knives, obviously going by the number “7” on the sheaths.

I can't spend $4,000 to hold it in my hand, but with 4 ˝ inch blades these must be just short of being miniatures.

https://nordicknives.com/collections/ran...herman-hunter-1

Maybe whoever picked the sheaths for them at the time reached for sheaths marked for a “Model 7” instead of “Model 4”? Or maybe they were out of stock for the Model 4-4 ˝ sheaths at the time?

Things like this keep it interesting.

Larry

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/16/21 12:13 PM

Just as beautiful a knife, Rocky, with the "7" stamp! Like you say, what're the odds?

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/16/21 12:31 PM

Well...apparently someone nabbed the Ivory one....WoW!!!

Posted by: Ronnie

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/16/21 12:41 PM

The very first model 23’s came in model 11 Sheaths and so marked.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/16/21 11:06 PM

The Model 5-4" could be paired with Model 8-4"- marked sheaths and vice versa.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/30/21 01:50 PM

Here's my favorite Model 7-4"; SS blade, etched stamp,#6 grind, NS squared hilt, maroon micarta handle, Wrist Thong, and white face compass in a Johnson pouch sheath. I figure it was made in the early 80's. Sweet.

Pap
Posted by: Kirko

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/30/21 08:10 PM

Very very nice !!
Posted by: Kirko

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/30/21 08:10 PM

Very very nice !!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 11/30/21 08:25 PM

one of my favorite grinds!!

Posted by: spark42

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 03/22/22 12:41 AM

Picked this nice #7 from the Capt. table at the AGCA show this weekend.

Dennis
Posted by: CrazyCajun

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 7!!!!!!! - 03/23/22 09:32 PM

Good Grab!!!