Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!!

Posted by: vklough46

Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/11/07 07:50 AM

Thanks to all that have posted thus far.

From Randall Made Knives: The History of the Man and the Blades by Robert L.Gaddis pg.109
Quote:

All Purpose Carving Knife
The final new postwar knife wasn't really new at all, as Bo had been turning out some hand-forged carving knives from the beginning in 1937. What he did now was arrive at a 9-inch All-Purpose blade shape. Throughout the intervening years he had used numerous blade styles, both hand-forged and factory manufactured. From these emerged his own concept of the best all around table carving knife. Also carried in the line was his shorter 7-inch version of this knife, but it wasn't very popular and was soon dropped. Bo decided at the time to offer this "All-Purpose Carving Knife,'' as he named it, with only a stag handle.

Bo made nine prototypes with leather washer handles in early September, but he gave all of these as presents to close friends, except for one that he kept. This 9-inch blade design and stag handle combination has been retained to the present with only a few minor changes. The earliest postwar carvers had very small, sterling silver hilts, which were shortly changed to nickel silver and enlarged slightly. It wasn't until some years later that a factory made fork, with a Randall-attached stag handle, was offered as an accompaniment to the carver.

From the current catalog, p. 18
Quote:

Model 6 All Purpose Carving Set - ...Designed to meet every requirement as the ideal table knife, it is rustproof and will resist staining as ordinary blades do when used in carving meat. ...Complete set includes a high-quality stag-handled Sharpening Steel and Fork. Supplied with a three-compartment lined felt case.

Model 6 steak knife: 4 1/2" blade of 3/16" stainless steel stock. 4 1/2" - 4 5/8" handle of stag. Fitted with nickel silver hilt. Compartmentalized lined felt included.

As always, I'd like to thank Mr. Gaddis for his excellent source of information on Randall knives.

I personally think the number 6 grind is a very interesting blade. I think it would also be nice to see some number 6 grinds on other knives. I believe it is available on the model 7 and model 26 as well as some others. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Being the week before Thanksgiving, I'm sure a lot of you are anxiously awaiting the opportunity to use your number 6 carving sets. Hopefully you'll share those with us this week. Thank you.

Lady and gentleman, may we please see some model 6s.
Kevin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/11/07 08:12 AM

Dubie's brother Jere was nice enough to submit these Model 6 All Purpose Carving sets for our viewing. The two boxes are sets yet to be opened one box has been opened but still wrapped and the last set (which Dubie gave as a present). (What a great brother you are Dubie.) Thank you Jere for getting us started. And it's pretty obvious what you will be carving with on Thanksgiving.

Posted by: jeremac

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/11/07 08:37 AM

Kevin: Glad to help the team.
Jere Baxter RKS#541
Posted by: Topos

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/11/07 10:12 AM

Not only is the carving set a joy to view and hold but it makes a special gift. I just gave my son a set for the coming Thanksgiving. He is cooking and bringing over the turkey which will allow me to see them in use.

My wife jokes that she knows I will be bravely restraining myself from offering
my large Sasquatch for the task
Posted by: BoBlade

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/11/07 01:32 PM

In addition to his forged blades, Bo handled some factory blades sourced from W.R. Case & Sons, Northampton Cutlery and J.A. Henckels between 1938 and 1942 (Gaddis). Most of the Henckels were carvers:

Posted by: Sheldon_Wickersham

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/11/07 03:55 PM

This is Edna’s Model #6-9, as shown on page #182 of our new Randall Knives reference book, and like many of our Randall knives it comes with a story. In this case, going back a few years now, we purchased an odd assortment of Randall knives (including some Tenite and brown Micarta versions) in an old, musty shoebox. Also in the shoebox were a half-dozen knives made by Juneau, Alaska maker Merle Sequine. Mid 1960’s vintage and most still in new, unused condition – we remembered that a friend of ours collected ‘Sequine’ knives...so we called and a deal was struck.

Initially, our friend thought we were pulling his leg, because in a good year he’ll find maybe one Sequine knife, and even then it’s normally in ‘well-used’ condition. We asked him for a purchase offer, and then a second...then we really buggered with him by saying that he was offering too much, and then again, too much...that he was going in the wrong direction initially, and that if he didn’t offer us less, then we weren’t gonna sell him the knives...eventually catching on, he did and we did.

We were set up at the OKCA show the following year – five display cases of Randall knives for public viewing, with another thirty knives or so for sale. We had three tables set up and folks were viewing, buying, and trading that day. Up walks our friend, pulls out this stellar Model #6-9, and asks if we wanted to buy it...’Hell yeah, how much?’ we said. “Make an offer” was the reply, so we did. “Too much” said our friend, so we offered less, then less again...and soon the knife was ours – much to the shock of those around the table, people that were having a real hard time making sense what they’d just seen...

So, that’s the story behind how Edna picked up this little beauty; and why this knife, not only highly optioned and gorgeous, is so special to us (thanks Jack!)...

Posted by: escapement

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/11/07 08:55 PM

Here’s a Model 6, sort of…

OK, it’s a #7-5/6 but it looks just like a #6, in fact, it looks more like a #6, really, than a #7. Of course, it’s a bit longer at just over 5” and has a full NS single hilt and thumb notches.

It’s a great user, makes a great fishing/ camping knife, and handles filleting chores as well as a #10-5, to my mind.

Gary

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/11/07 09:04 PM

Great post Gary.
In Mr Gaddis' book he states on page 261 that "This is the little Model 6 Steak knife, described as: 4 1/4" blade of 3/16" stainless steel stock. 4 1/2" handle of genuine stag. Fitted with nickel silver hilt. Bo started making these knives back in the early 1950s, using ivory for the handles at that time. They were, and still are, made from Model 7 Fisherman-Hunter blades that have been ground similarly to the big carving knives."
Kevin
Posted by: Cabinet_Man

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/12/07 10:01 AM

Quote:

OK, it’s a #7-5/6 but it looks just like a #6, in fact, it looks more like a #6, really, than a #7. Of course, it’s a bit longer at just over 5” and has a full NS single hilt and thumb notches.

It’s a great user, makes a great fishing/ camping knife, and handles filleting chores as well as a #10-5, to my mind.
Gary

Gary,
That's a great little model 7. I have one also that has the #6 grind on it. The 'Good Capt', and GTR both explained to me that the #6 grind does an exceptional (and unbeatable) job on fish just as you stated. I looked for about a year for one and finally found the one that I liked...here's a pic. I posted this one when I first got it, and it will likely be on here again next week for the model 7's, but I'll put it on anyway just cause it's fun to show the different models. The back side of the blade is left thick rather than with the grind line on the standard 7's. This one's at Sullivan's at the moment, being fitted to a black sheath (so I can have one of each color).

I'll take some pics of the carving set we use and post later in the week.
~dale

P.S. This one has 1 Canada Goose, and 2 squirrels under it's belt since receiving it late summer. I'll know how it does on fish as soon as the lake freezes over.

Posted by: BOB_TEATES

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/12/07 02:18 PM

Kevin and Dale, those are fine looking knives, Bob
Posted by: Rick_Bowles

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/12/07 03:26 PM

Here's a pretty nice pair of model #6s in ivory that belong to a customer. When I get them finished they will have a Snook on one and a Redfish (which I've started) on the other.
Posted by: Guido_Bitossi

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/13/07 05:03 AM

Dear All,
this's my carving set...

Not too many with OY...they said.
Best
Guido
Posted by: 7033grip

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/13/07 07:32 AM

OY VAY, that's mighty nice !!!!!

Dubie
Posted by: Kent_Warnberg

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/13/07 08:40 AM

Guido,

Very Nice OY material on the handles! It really looks nice, and I bet a joy to use!

Kent

RKS #109

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/13/07 10:43 AM

USE ?...for what !

Just joking Kent.
Best
Guido
Posted by: sterusmall

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/13/07 11:22 AM

Quote:

Here's a pretty nice pair of model #6s in ivory that belong to a customer. When I get them finished they will have a Snook on one and a Redfish (which I've started) on the other.

That will be one SWEET pair!!!!!
I would love to see a pic of those when you get done!!!!!!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/13/07 12:50 PM

Me too... I've never seen one in ivory before. These are all nice sets.

Everyone has seen the pic I took of the set with the turkey, but here it is again. I'll put one on with just the set by itself too. We use this set often. At first I thought a 3-7 would be as big as I wanted to use, but after the first time cutting with it, I'm glad we use it. It's become a tradition in our house to have the Randall at the table. I would like to have a set of steak knives to go with it, and build a display to hold them all together which would hang in the dinding room (but still dreaming on that one as we would need several. ).
~dale

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/13/07 12:53 PM

Posted by: Kent_Warnberg

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/13/07 03:02 PM

Guido,

Great looking Crown Stag on your "Carver"! I bet that it "fit in your hand" real well!

Kent

RKS #109

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/13/07 06:26 PM

Dubie was nice enough to share these photos with us. This set has maroon micarta handles, with nickel silver and red spacers. It belongs to Bill Lewis. Thank you, Dubie, for posting these pictures. And thank you, Bill, for allowing us to see your wonderful Randall carving set
Kevin

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/13/07 07:12 PM

Quote:

which would hang in the dinding room

Ooops, they would actually hang in the dining room.

Nice handles on the maroon micarta set. I haven't seen one like that before... very ncie.
~dale

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/15/07 06:25 AM

Great carving sets.
Rick, I think that we would all like to see the set upon completion.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to post we have seen some beautiful Randall Made Knives.
Kevin
Posted by: Peter_Kaufman

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 01/24/10 06:50 PM

Here is two thirds of my set ready to get to work on some sausage, pork chops and a ham
Makes you hungry, doesn't it.

Peter
Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 01/24/10 09:36 PM

MAN!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I have to raid the fridge!
Posted by: crutchtip

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 01/24/10 10:22 PM

File photos of a nice older set:

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 01/25/10 07:33 AM

What is the mechanism on the fork?

I have never seen one like that before
Thanks
Peter

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 01/25/10 08:39 AM

Nice pair Joe!
Isn't that mechanism used to stabilize the meat? So to speak.
Posted by: rodbrown

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 01/25/10 08:51 AM

Tony

I remember we had a non RMK with a similar device on the fork. Dad told me it was a guard/protection from a errant knife blade as one was carving, as well as what you said. That was ALONG time ago!!!
Posted by: tunefink

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 01/25/10 09:26 AM

I believe it's a tong like device for serving.
Posted by: Tom_D

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 01/25/10 09:33 AM

Believe it is a device used to "stand" the fork off of the table.
Posted by: BOB_TEATES

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 01/25/10 10:59 AM

I think Tom is correct. from a cooking site:"When you open them you can set the fork down on the table without the tines touching the tablecloth. They act like a stand."

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 01/25/10 11:27 AM

That device( some with spring) is to "hook" the meat so to avoid its(meat) slide off....

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 01/25/10 11:28 AM

Never tired to show my preferred 6 grind....

Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 01/25/10 06:45 PM

Guido,
I will never be able to match your photo skills, however here's one I sold for my dad a while back.
two pins...
:-)Rocky

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 01/26/10 09:22 AM

...WAOOOOOO....

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 02/07/10 10:35 AM

Just acquired this great Randall Carving set!
Here's just a quick snapshot from last night.
Oh yeah ... the LaPetri Clan likes their beef ... Rare!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 02/07/10 11:12 AM

HI Tony
Nice stag on the carving set. I think that beef is still moving:)
We have snow, and will be strapping on the Xcountry skis this afternoon.
Peter

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 02/07/10 11:36 AM

Really nice stags Tony!
Posted by: Oldvetnam1

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 02/07/10 11:51 AM

Great looking carving set Tony. That beef looks just about right.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 02/07/10 11:52 AM

Thanks Guys!
This was a nice find, as the 3 stag handles are a very good match, and have
very nice color!
Peter, we just missed out on some snow here on the north shore by a matter of only several miles!!
But, we're headed up to Canada end of this week for SIX DAYS OF SKIING AND SNOWSHOEING ...
and there's plenty of snow up there, just north of Quebec City!
Tony
Posted by: Oldvetnam1

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 02/07/10 12:03 PM

Tony,

We got around 29 inches. Wish I could send you some. Have a great time in Canada.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 02/07/10 01:54 PM

I'd take it too!!!!!!!
Thanks!
Tony
Posted by: danbrew

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 02/07/10 06:10 PM

Come on now, that snow is a tricky thing. I like it for the first 2 minutes. My kids love it for the a week or so. My wife is oblivious about it as I'm the guy shoveling and snowblowing it all away.

Yep, I need to move south or southwest.
Posted by: Jim459

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/28/11 03:27 PM

Here is a Non-Catalog Filet knife that just swam in.

Jim
Posted by: Rick Magee

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/28/11 04:02 PM

Very nice!!

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/28/11 04:33 PM

THAT'S a beauty!
Posted by: HALORANGER

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/28/11 04:50 PM

WOW!
Posted by: Litch

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/28/11 04:59 PM

Jim, what a beauty - congrats!
Posted by: Robert Frey

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/28/11 06:45 PM

Nice!!!
Posted by: Leatherman

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/28/11 07:14 PM

VERY nice Jim! If it was on a shorter knife I would be tempted to use it!
Posted by: Jay G

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/28/11 07:51 PM

Terrific knife! That’s a monster largemouth – looks a lot like an Al Agnew painting… Enjoy the knife Jim
Posted by: Ed_T

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/28/11 08:34 PM

Gorgeous knife !! Thanks for sharing.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/28/11 09:14 PM

Jim
Great exotic knife as usual, I really enjoy seeing your collection of unique knives

Peter

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/29/11 10:17 AM

Thanks for the compliments. Here is a closeup of the Fossil Walrus handle and scrimshaw. It is much more difficult to apply scrim to this type of handle because of the hardness.

Jim
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/29/11 01:24 PM

Hi Jim,

Beautiful knife and artwork. May we ask who did the scrim ?
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/29/11 01:44 PM

Jim,
Nice!! Looks like Gary's work (Garbo)??
Thanks, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/29/11 01:52 PM

I should have mentioned that the scrim was by Gary Williams, aka Garbo. Check out his web site here:

http://scrimbygarbo.com/

Jim
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/29/11 06:53 PM

Thank-you Jim. I've seen his work on some other Randall Made Knives. It is outstanding work in my eyes. I really like everyting I've seen him do. Some of the best I believe.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/29/11 07:22 PM

He learned from the "very" best. Mr. Rick Fields!! Nobody better, plain and simple.
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Drshame

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 12/05/11 09:01 PM

1994 Model 6 Carving Set...Pre-Owned in Great Shape

Tight shot of Logo and hilt spacers

Reportedly bought directly from the shop in 1994 and lightly used. The original buyer didn't like the case so he "threw it out".
UGH!
Posted by: Doug74

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 01/11/16 10:28 PM

My new carver dedicated to smoked prime rib....a definite user. My first red/blue, and I really like the look of the handle material. Also, added the thin/radiused butt. This is the first Randall I've received with black para cord.....I'm used to the green, and didn't realize black was an option. Another one knocked out of the park by the folks at Randall. Thank you.
Posted by: Wally

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 01/11/16 11:13 PM

Nice lookin'
Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 01/12/16 12:31 AM

Now that is sweet.

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 01/12/16 08:57 AM

THAT'S a Beauty!

Use it in good health!

Tony

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 01/12/16 11:04 AM

Black cord is standard with a black sheath. Green with tan or waxed.
Nice knife!
Capt. Chris
Posted by: Billy Poyner

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 01/12/16 07:38 PM

Doug,
Nice knife,,Word of caution red and blue micarta is habit forming.
Posted by: Whiteman

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 01/12/16 07:51 PM

I need one of those for the kitchen. Great looking blade.
Posted by: Chief

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 01/12/16 08:17 PM

Great for fileting fish as well, real good on a saltwater trip.
Posted by: willhunt

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 12/10/18 04:58 PM

Here is my first Model 6 carver. Pinned stag with a reduced nickel silver hilt.

Posted by: pappy19

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 12/10/18 08:00 PM

Very nice!! Not sure if I would use it, since it is such vintage. You might order a #9 and doll it up as a user. Just a thought, but not to diminish your pinned Randall, super nice.

Pap
Posted by: Sharpi

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 12/10/18 11:11 PM

Awesome
looks like it's screaming
let the meat meet the metal
Question is Rib Roast, Ham, Turkey...Lamb
Happy Holidays
Sharpi

ps Who is Charlie Miller?
Posted by: ROBERT MCINTOSH

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 12/11/18 03:27 AM

And now I need a #6
WILLHUNT that is stunning
Posted by: willhunt

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 12/11/18 04:54 AM

Pappy, I am thinking of a model 10-7, which is what I'm sure you were referring to. And you're right, don't think this one will see any carving duties. Sharpi, the only thing I've been able to find out about him is that he has impeccable taste in knives. Lol. And thanks to all for the kind comments.
Posted by: Lori

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 12/11/18 12:04 PM

Originally Posted By: ROBERT MCINTOSH
And now I need a #6
WILLHUNT that is stunning

I agree with Robert. I see a number 6 in my future. Definitely will have to be a user. I'm definitely starting to love the pinned stag.
Posted by: Tattoo Bill

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 12/11/18 02:01 PM

[quote=willhunt]Here is my first Model 6 carver. Pinned stag with a reduced nickel silver hilt.

The perfect gift for the sammich maker in your life! lol
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 12/11/18 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: willhunt
Pappy, I am thinking of a model 10-7, which is what I'm sure you were referring to. And you're right, don't think this one will see any carving duties. Sharpi, the only thing I've been able to find out about him is that he has impeccable taste in knives. Lol. And thanks to all for the kind comments.

Actually I was referring to the Non-Catalog Filet knife. 9" with lots of options available. I use mine for more than just fish filleting, like roasts and cutting steaks. One of my favorites.

Pap
Posted by: RUTROW

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 07/13/22 01:53 AM

anybody have a 4.5 inch they would like to show off? and does anyone carry one and have you made or bought a leather sheath for one ? thanks

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 07/13/22 08:24 AM

I've used this old bird a good bit. The 1st shot shows a Randall Model "B", no hone sheath, in black, with a wrap-around keeper strap. The pouch sheath was made for me by Greg, late 90's or early 2000's.
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris
PS: FWI handle material...CCS

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 07/13/22 08:58 AM

Old photos but I'm just...plain..."too lazy" to rummage this one out of my stash and re-shoot it! FG's stag, wrist thong and compass and well-used.
Stay Sharp, Capt. Chris
PS: The black ostrich sheath was made for me by Johnny Johnson, a friend and knifemaker from Dade City, Florida (Not the "other" Johnny Johnson)...CCS
Posted by: BladesNBarrels

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 07/13/22 10:02 AM

Great Steak or Small Utility Knife

Posted by: RUTROW

Re: Knife Of The Week Model 6!!!!!! - 11/12/23 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: BladesNBarrels
Great Steak or Small Utility Knife

^^ thank you Mr. Loomis ^^