Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!!

Posted by: vklough46

Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/28/07 08:22 AM

Thanks to all that have posted thus far.

From Randall Made Knives: The History of the Man and the Blades by Robert L. Gaddis, pp124-5
Quote:

[During the Korean War] Another variation in the pattern of GI orders, versus those from World War II, was that now many of the knives requested were not strictly combat designs. In this dual-purpose group the Model 4 Big Game and Skinner with a 7-inch blade was far and away the most popular. This model and blade length enjoyed a considerable following among hunters at this time, plus as a large general-purpose field knife it was, and still is, an excellent choice.

In the 1948 catalog, the Model 4 Big Game and Skinner came in 5" and 7" blades. Today's Model 4 comes in 5", 6", and 7" blades of 1/4" stock. There is also a Model 4 - 4 1/2" blade of 3/16" stock. Obviously it is a lighter weight than the larger Model 4 and should be an excellent small game skinning knife.
Lady and gentlemen may we please some some Model 4's.
Thank you, Kevin
Posted by: Hagsjr

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/28/07 09:41 AM

Model 4-7

Jerry

Posted by: Cabinet_Man

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/28/07 11:19 AM

That's a ncie one Jerry... it would make a nice set with my 3-7" in stag with FG's. One of these days I'll find one to go with it.
~dale

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/28/07 11:23 AM

Quote:

Lady and gentlemen may we please some some Model 4's.

Kevin,
That line reminds me of something... maybe a game show, just can't seem to place it. Ring a bell?
~dale
Posted by: tunefink

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/28/07 11:48 AM

This is a 6" blade with old brown micarta and 7 spacers in a Heiser brown button sheath. Nickel silver hilt, aluminum butt cap, and finger grips. The Micarta is laminated from the thin material which was some of the earlier micarta. Very early 60's.

This one is a 6" blade with a separate S, black micarta and 7 spacers. Nickel Silver hilt and aluminum butt cap.... and finger grips....Probably a late 60's knife.

Posted by: crutchtip

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/28/07 11:57 AM

Circa 1953, 7", ivory w/ grips, thong.

Posted by: BoBlade

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/28/07 12:51 PM

Here are three that are worth looking at that were sold on public web sites in the past. The 1st is an early 50's 4-6 pinned stag double hilt (Steve Peters SJJP Knives E-Bay Store):

The 2nd is one of the 1st model 4's ever made: A summer of 1945 "two pinned" stag 7 inch skinner (Offered by Nordic knives Solvang, Ca.):

The 3rd and last is a circa 1949 fingergrooved leather handled 4-7 (Sold by Angelo Solino on Collectibleskingdomcastle about 7 years ago):

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/28/07 01:40 PM

Those are all some really nice model 4's... makes mine look not so nice, but I will post it anyway. I am not sure when this was made but am thinking it's out of the 70's. It has a 6" blade, and I like the way it looks although it's not "pretty" or in unused condition. I have sharpened a very nice edge on this knife, and use it myself. I don't have a sheath for it which makes it hard to carry unless I'm taking a pack along... a little dangerous for the pocket.
~dale

Posted by: boardrider

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/28/07 01:58 PM

Ron, very interesting group of three knives! Because it sold, would you happen to know what Dave got for the two pin #4? Sure sorry I missed that one.

Griff Snyder
RKS#63

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/28/07 02:12 PM

The other thing baout mine is the tang stamp. It looks very light, and more like an etching than a stamp. I only have my others to compare it to, but that's my thought anyway. If anyone has some input on this and the dating, I'd appreciate it.
~dale
Posted by: Burnie

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/28/07 02:16 PM

Here is my model 4-6 w/Heiser sheath, Dale my knife also has the same type stamp. I think these were hand struck stamps. I may be wrong on this, maybe Bo or Joe can help us with this. Later Burnie

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/28/07 05:51 PM

Thanks to everyone for posting.
I appreciate you taking the time to do this and to give a brief history of your knives.
You have given us the opportunity to see some great knives and to learn about a great Randall model.
Kevin

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/28/07 06:41 PM

Dale,

I'd have to see a close up of your logo to be sure, but it (and Bernie's) just looks like a "light stamp" and not an etch. Maybe DW can tell us when the shop got in the pneumatic? stamp (Thanks, DW). I believe your knife is pre '72. Otherwise the two thick reds would be brighter if it was '72 or '73.

Griff,

I know what Dave sold the 4-7 for, but the knife changed hands twice since so it wouldn't be cricket to disclose that now. Suffice to say it was pretty much nosebleed territory for a non fighter because because of it's rarety.

Best,

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/28/07 10:33 PM

Thanks for the info.
~dale
Posted by: EDO

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/29/07 04:29 AM

Thank you for the photos, I appreciated the old #4 knives with the Heiser sheath!
Posted by: silverknife

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/29/07 07:07 AM

I got an elepant ivory #4-7 that Rick Bowles scratched all up when I wasn't looking! That rascal!!

Regards, Doug
Posted by: 7033grip

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/29/07 08:01 AM

Gosh, and i thought they were extinct.

Dubie

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/29/07 08:20 AM

Nah, the world is full of peckers

Regards, Doug
Posted by: Kent_Warnberg

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/29/07 08:23 AM

Doug,

What a awesome #4! Gosh, I wonder how you find a nice #4, and then just happen to have Rick "Scratch" on it???

It very nice to see some of the older Senior #4's also.

Kent B. Warnberg
RKS #109
Posted by: sterusmall

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/29/07 09:58 AM

Dubie,

There is supposed to be a few (Ivory bills) recently seen in Arkansas.
Posted by: red_river

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/29/07 01:12 PM

Here's my maroon model 4-7.

Posted by: alan_grombacher

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/29/07 03:51 PM

Hey Guy,

I am going to have to get a #4 for sure after seeing all these. I've got a nice #3 6" stag, and I've always been curious about the #4 6" and 7" knives. They would make a great general field knife for up here when you wouldn't need something as big as my #14.

Crutchtip's #4 7" ivory is a real beauty. I always like it when he puts up a beautiful vintage knife for us to gander at.

Dale's and Burnie's #4 leather handled knives are very nice.

There is just something about ivory handles and leather handles that just make the #4 for me.

Great knife of the week thread.

Cheers,

Alan
RKS#5531
Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/29/07 04:22 PM

Guys,
I have to agree with Alan!
I never gave much thought to a Model 4...but after seeing these pictures...

Great knives...thanks guys!
Tony
Posted by: tglassco

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/29/07 05:03 PM

J.P.

That is an awesome #4 - 7". Thanks for showing it. I generally have a bit of a bias towards the #1's, 2's, 12's and 14's but after seeing your #4 - 7", I have got to get one of those in 7" SS. I wonder what it would look like with a #1 style double hilt?

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/29/07 05:05 PM

Quote:

J.P.

That is an awesome #4 - 7". Thanks for showing it. I generally have a bit of a bias towards the #1's, 2's, 12's and 14's but after seeing your #4 - 7", I have got to get one of those in 7" SS. I wonder what it would look like with a #1 style double hilt?

Remember now, it's a skinning knife. A double hilt would get in the way, though it would look good.

Dubie

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/29/07 05:08 PM

Hey Dubie,

Probably the only thing I would skin would be my hands after fondling it so much.
Posted by: 1gunner

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/29/07 10:02 PM

Okay Folks,

Now we're talking about one of my Favorites...thus, I'm forced to share. Here's a pic of some 4-6's. More pics to follow...most of which I have posted in the past...Enjoy!

Tom #3081

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/29/07 10:08 PM

Here's a Model 4 with a #6 Grind, Ironwood to boot! I had the good fortune to win the opportunity to buy this from the Good Captain off another Forum's Build-Off!

Tom #3081

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/29/07 10:13 PM

Here's one from the 50's with a "Big Defect"...not sure what I am going to do with it...probably just keep it around...

Tom #3081

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/29/07 10:17 PM

A "naked" Ivory 4-6 with a Elephant Sheath. What sets this knife off in my eyes are the 5 black spacers contrasting with the ivory...drop dead gorgeous...

Tom #3081
Posted by: Chief

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/29/07 10:27 PM

Quote:

A "naked" Ivory 4-6 with a Elephant Sheath. What sets this knife off in my eyes are the 5 black spacers contrasting with the ivory...drop dead gorgeous...

Tom #3081

Ya got ALL my Attention!!!!

See Ya, Chief

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/29/07 10:27 PM

Tom,
Absolutely beautiful, what a great group of 4's! Do you happen to have a close up of the scrim that you could post?
~dale

Posted by: Rob_Schoening

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/29/07 11:05 PM

Tom,
Let's see some close ups of those #4's!!!
Rob
Posted by: Don_Hedrick

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/30/07 06:43 AM

Tom, great knife! The #4 is one of my favorites! Looks like the left handed guy was running the stamp,"machine" that day!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/30/07 06:59 AM

I'd like to watch better the one with the scrim...pls.
Ciao
Posted by: Kent_Warnberg

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/30/07 08:00 AM

Tom,

Wow what Photo's! These #4's are really starting to go to the top of "I Love These Models"! The ivory with the solid black spacers top the list!

Shortly, within a month or so I will also be getting a #4-6 with #6 blade grind with a ironwood handle, from the shop. Can't wait! This thread really gets the juices cooking!

Kent

RKS #109
Posted by: Hagsjr

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/30/07 08:26 AM

This is a Model 4-5, 7 spacer. Came with a brown button sheath.

Jerry

Posted by: patrickjames

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/30/07 09:23 AM

Awesome collection of #4's !!!
PJ
Posted by: Rick_Bowles

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/30/07 10:15 AM

Quote:

I wonder what it would look like with a #1 style double hilt?

I believe one of the earliest Randall "fighters" was a model #4 with a double hilt and a sharpened top edge. I've heard that Errol Flynn used one of these in a film but I don't remember which one.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/30/07 11:25 PM

Here is some close-ups of the Scrimshaw. Enjoy...

Tom #3081

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/30/07 11:27 PM

And a close-up of the bear and salmon...note, the blood dripping from the mouth (a little ghoulish for Halloween).

Tom #3081

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/30/07 11:30 PM

Here's the "Big Defect"...

Tom #3081

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/30/07 11:33 PM

Here's a pair of Pinned Stags.

Tom #3081

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/30/07 11:35 PM

An early 60's Low S...too bad I am not left-handed, I'd use it!!! Did I say I liked Model 4's?

Tom #3081

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/31/07 12:13 AM

Gunner, that's a "cross-draw special" if I ever saw one.

Does the sheath have an "L" on it?

Dubie
Posted by: Steven

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/31/07 11:01 AM

http://picasaweb.google.com/crawsu/Model4/photo#5127182268964567010

http://picasaweb.google.com/crawsu/Model4/photo#5127182419288422418
Hopefully someone can get these picture on the site. Since no one else is going to post a Number 4 with a number 1 hilt here one is. I believe my dad got this from Errol Flynn during the making of" they died with their boots on". Yes it is Errols long lost number 4. Going on sale today on ebay.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/31/07 11:21 AM

Here you go Steven...

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/31/07 11:22 AM

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/31/07 11:27 AM

Thanks for the close ups Tom.
~dale

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/31/07 11:29 AM

Thank You! Someday I'll have my wife figure out how to do this. I was kidding about Errol of course. This model 4 has a seven inch blade top edge sharpened. Ivory and brass hardware. I liked the way the number 1 hilt looks on a blade with that much curve to it. I think it would make a dandy fighting knife.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/31/07 11:33 AM

"They Died With Their Boots On" Director: Raoul Walsh

Writers:Wally Kline (original screenplay) and
Æneas MacKenzie (original screenplay)
more
Release Date:1 January 1942 (USA) more
Genre:Biography / Drama / Romance / War / Western more
Tagline:The heroic saga of Custer's Last Stand! more
Plot Summary:This is the story of General Custer from the time he enters West Point military academy, through the American Civil War... more
Plot Synopsis:View full synopsis. (warning! may contain spoilers)
Plot Keywords:Sioux Wars / Black Hills / Cavalry / Civil War / Crazy Horse more
User Comments:Custodian of the Custer Legacy more

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cast (Cast overview, first billed only)

Errol Flynn ... George Armstrong Custer

Olivia de Havilland ... Elizabeth Bacon
Arthur Kennedy ... Ned Sharp
Charley Grapewin ... California Joe

Gene Lockhart ... Samuel Bacon, Esq.

Anthony Quinn ... Crazy Horse
Stanley Ridges ... Maj. Romulus Taipe
John Litel ... Gen. Phil Sheridan
Walter Hampden ... William Sharp

Sydney Greenstreet ... Lt. Gen. Winfield Scott
Regis Toomey ... Fitzhugh Lee

Hattie McDaniel ... Callie
G.P. Huntley ... Lt. "Queen's Own" Butler (as George P. Huntley Jr.)
Frank Wilcox ... Capt. Webb
Joe Sawyer ... Sgt. Doolittle (as Joseph Sawyer)
more
Create a character page for: Elizabeth BaconNed SharpCalifornia JoeSamuel Bacon, Esq.Maj. Romulus TaipeGen. Phil SheridanWilliam SharpLt. Gen. Winfield ScottFitzhugh LeeCallieLt. "Queen's Own" ButlerCapt. WebbSgt. Doolittle-----------more...

A pretty damn good movie if I remember correctly. I think Chief ought to be given this knife by the seller, to make up for the injustices to his people.

Actuallt Panhead, when this movie was filmed (1941), Bo hadn't come out with a Model 4 yet, so it was probably a mid or post war movie where he carried a Randall.

Dubie Baxter
Posted by: BigJim

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/31/07 11:50 AM

Surprise,I do have a few Hunters.
Early 50's #4-5.Heiser Sheath,Translucent Buttons.
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/31/07 11:51 AM

Dubie,no "L". It is a Johnson rough back with the Randall logo across the width of the back and a bit low in my opinion. Then "4 6" stamped just below the logo.Really a very interesting knife. I really enjoy the model 4s and my real favorite are the Bowles knives,I find the Bowles hunter to be most functional for skinning large animals and I like my old Model 26 for caping. I am of the opinion that all Randalls are superb instruments for using and collecting. I love the discussions about the pros and cons and get a kick out of guys "high doggin" each other.Oh well that's the best part of the Randall mystique on this forum. The passion displayed is what motivates me and for that I am grateful.My thanks to all who appreciate the craftmanship and history of Randall knivemakers past and present.The Randall legacy is awesome. Tom #3081

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/31/07 11:58 AM

Tom, if it has horizontal stamping, that is very rare for a Johnson sheath. Maybe that's why the stamp was put so low.

I like your expression "high-dogging". That's a compliment to any dog lover. Thanks.

Dubie Baxter

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/31/07 12:18 PM

Dubie
Nice run down on the movie. Yes, it must of been one of his other movies where he gave it to my father. Actually Errol was a big favorite of mine. I read his autobiography My wicked wicked ways when it first came out and I thought he had a great life, should laid off the boose and drugs and could have lasted a lot longer.
Posted by: red_river

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/31/07 02:04 PM

Quote:

Dubie
I read his autobiography My wicked wicked ways when it first came out and I thought he had a great life, should laid off the boose and drugs and could have lasted a lot longer.

My doc told me if I laid off the booze and the drugs and the womanizing, I might not live to be a hundred but it would seem that way.
Posted by: escapement

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/31/07 06:47 PM

Model 4-5 standard … +60s/ -70s.

Model 4-7 stag, brass butt, brass/ black spacers … probably +90s/ -00s.

Model 4-5 stag … kit … early, unmarked kit blade, name etched on reverse … mid to +70s.

Gary

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/01/07 09:40 AM

Here's a "wide" blade from circa '47. Sorry about the bad pics.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/01/07 10:06 AM

Tom,

Thank you for the pic!
Posted by: armedcitizen

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/01/07 11:11 AM

Here are a couple pics that I snagged off other sites months ago. If they're yours, claim them.

#4 in fighter congiguration:

Lugged hilt with red crown stag:

Posted by: New2Randalls

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/02/07 08:53 AM

Here's a 4-4 that I picked up awhile ago. It has 5 spacers and I believe it's from the mid 70's to 80's? Sorry for the poor quality picture. I'm still learning how to use my Canon Digital camera.

Thanks

Dan Snyder RKS #5537

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/02/07 11:49 AM

Here's Dan's #4... I like it!
~dale

P.S. I can hardly wait till next week to see your model 5.

Posted by: New2Randalls

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/02/07 12:15 PM

Dale, thanks for posting the picture, now if I can only find a good sheath for it, the one that came with it was partially eaten by rats. I can hardly wait too, I have 2 to post including a Bradford Angier model.
Dan Snyder RKS #5537

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/03/07 05:55 PM

Let's get this Knife of the Week thread back to the top! here's another early 50's Model 4. I happen to have the original order form (filled out with a typewriter) for this knife. Gorgeous knives these 4s are that have been posted by all!

Tom #3081

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/03/07 09:32 PM

I would like to thank everyone who has participated in the Model 4 thread. We have all seen some beautiful knives and learned about another great Randall Knife model.
Kevin
Posted by: RKS3500

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/03/07 09:51 PM

Just sneaking this one in before we move to the 5's...

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/03/07 09:53 PM

Flip side...

Rob

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/03/07 10:06 PM

Not too shabby, Sir Very early IMO late '45

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/05/07 11:33 PM

Here's an old war horse...

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/05/07 11:42 PM

Flip side...

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/05/07 11:51 PM

Something about about the 7" long curved blade on these models..one of my favorites, this one has been well used, apparently someone stuffed an oversize compass in the end, it's developed a few stress cracks on the end over the years but still nice and solid...

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/06/07 03:20 AM

Rob,

That 3/4" dia. compass is original to your knife (early 50's). Most every one I've seen has cracked out the butt of the knife it was installed in. Easy to understand why Bo migrated to a 1/2" dia. version.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/06/07 08:46 AM

Thanks Ron, I didn't realize, the lens is cracked too but the compass still works perfectly. I finally learned to bring photos up too, thanks for everyone's help.

Rob

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/06/07 09:17 AM

Are you sure that the lens is cracked? Compasses of that vintage had a line embossed on the top of the lens. Take a close look, maybe with a loupe or at least a magnifying glass unless it is an obvious crack. Regards, Doug

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/02/07 12:00 PM

Quote:

Are you sure that the lens is cracked? Compasses of that vintage had a line embossed on the top of the lens. Take a close look, maybe with a loupe or at least a magnifying glass unless it is an obvious crack. Regards, Doug

Thanks Doug, my response is a little late to yours but just noticed... after looking again it appears to be an embossed line, you guys are ok! Here's a couple of the bunch...

Rob

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/02/07 12:04 PM

Flip side...

Also, I see 1gunner's model 4 back a few posts, very nice indeed, it appears to have a brass pin with the nickel hilt, I had just received the nickel hilt #4 in the photo with a nickel pin, I guess whatever the shop had on hand at the time is what they used...

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/02/07 01:24 PM

Quote:

Also, I see 1gunner's model 4 back a few posts, very nice indeed, it appears to have a brass pin with the nickel hilt, I had just received the nickel hilt #4 in the photo with a nickel pin, I guess whatever the shop had on hand at the time is what they used...

Rob,

I haven't seen a nickel silver pin used with a nickel silver hilt either before ~1949 or after ~1951. There seems to be a very small window of time this "hardware" was matched up.

Ron
Posted by: tomthbomb

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/28/08 04:19 PM

New #4-5 with some super nice stag.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/28/08 04:37 PM

Rob, GREAT knives !!!!!

Could you post some pics of the sheaths?

Thanks,

Dubie Baxter

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/28/08 06:55 PM

Great looking knife Tom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/28/08 07:40 PM

Tom,
STAG !!!!! Send that to me and I'll make ya' a Model #4 with your favorite material...Micarta! What in the hell are you doing with stag??
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Warren_Polidori

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/28/08 07:48 PM

Tom,

Keeper!

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/28/08 08:52 PM

Quote:

Tom,
STAG !!!!! Send that to me and I'll make ya' a Model #4 with your favorite material...Micarta! What in the hell are you doing with stag??
Best, Capt. Chris

Captain he must of thought it was 4 stag films bet he was shocked when he got the knife

See Ya, Chief

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/29/08 09:36 AM

Here's a #4-4"/ Stainless, Micarta, I acquired not too long ago.
Sorry Tom, it's not up for trade!
Tony
Posted by: Sheldon_Wickersham

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/29/08 10:00 PM

Tony/Tom,

I've heard of Money Trees, but where'd you guys get the Randall Trees? Oh, I know, growing down in central FLA next to the Fountain of Youth on Ponce de Leon way...right?

Cool knife and pic Tony; great theme Tom

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 03/15/09 04:48 PM

Here is a beautiful model 4-7" crown stag w/JRB sheath. The stag on this knife is perfect and the lines flow with the blade as they should with this type handle. Tell me what you think Warren?

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 03/15/09 05:32 PM

Burnie,

I think you have a real beauty there. Here's one for your consideration.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 03/15/09 05:34 PM

Warren that's a beauty!!!!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 03/15/09 06:19 PM

Burnie,

Thanks! All crown stag Randall's are great. They each have their own signature and each is a one of kind. You found a real good one. Good luck!

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 03/15/09 06:23 PM

Thanks Warren, This knife came out of Tom Clinton's collection.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 03/15/09 06:29 PM

Burnie,

Got this knife from a private collection not from Tom Clinton's collection.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 03/15/09 06:30 PM

Beautiful handle, That's what it's all about with crown!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/11/09 04:33 PM

Our good friend, Kent Warnberg, wanted to share some of his knives and sheaths with us. Model 4-6", stabilized ironwood with a #6 grind. The sheath is Diamondback rattlesnake.
Thanks,
Kevin

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/11/09 05:54 PM

Kent,

THAT is one great looking knife. That sheath with the rattlesnake is my all time favorite combination. I like it in brown and black leather. Thanks for the pics Kevin.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/18/09 04:23 PM

I found this little 4-4 1/2 recently and I just had to have it. The stag is really exceptional and I liked the rounded butt cap. This is my one and only 4-4 1/2.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/18/09 04:51 PM

Warren,

That #4 - 4 1/2 is exceptional. Good Job.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/18/09 05:17 PM

Thanks Tom. This one's a keeper!

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/18/09 06:02 PM

Beautiful knife Warren. The stag is great and the round butt really sets her off.

Kevin

PS You get all the good knives.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/18/09 06:50 PM

Excellent photo of an Excellent Randall ...
But it's even better in your hand!!
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/18/09 10:41 PM

Model 4 Glades Hunter

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/18/09 10:55 PM

O.K....I can do that...Here goes...For those of you that don't know the story, I wrote it up for the RKS and presented the very first of these critters at the RKS meeting at the "Blade" show last year. They were sold through Perry Miller (Spaceport Curlery) and have long since been sold out. The final serial numbers are due out in October of this year. Of course, the Randall shop is running a few months behind, so the final shipments probably won't go out from Perry until the first month of 2010. Still: All and all, a pretty quick turn around for quite a collectable Randall blade shape and style.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/18/09 11:08 PM

Captain & Perry,

This is just a suggestion. Though the Glades Hunters by pedigree are Model 4's, may I ask that the moderators or whom ever is responsible, create a "Glades Hunter" Knife Of The Week. This knife by virtue of its special build belongs in its own thread. I think we will enjoy seeing all the Glades Hunters in their own glory.
Please speak if you disagree.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 06/07/09 06:13 PM

I purchased this knife at this years Blade Show in Atlanta. This one came from Rick Ward's drawing on Friday afternoon. I don't know how many were dressed out like this one but this is very well done. The no finger guard option along with the fluted hilt and brass fluted coolie cap are very appealing. This knife is very well balanced and will make an excellent skinning knife. If I ever decide to part ways with it, Burnie has first rights of refusal. We both had eyes on it, but my name got called before his did. We laughed about it afterwards!

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 06/07/09 06:31 PM

Warren,
Actually it is "not" a fluted hilt. It is a "RDH" (reduced brass hilt) and an "SC" (scalloped brass collar). Both of these options are still available, although fairly unusual and not many were done on a #4-4 1/2" (or is it a #4-5"?). It is a way-cool knife, but can be duplicated. Don't worry, Burnie. You need to know this can be done, because I don't foresee Warren cuttin' loose of it anytime soon!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 06/07/09 06:47 PM

Captain,

It is in fact a 4-5 and again thanks for the correction. You are right I haven't seen many done like this with these options.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 06/07/09 06:55 PM

I've never seen it on a #4-5". I have put this together on an "old-style" #8 before. That was cute. Your's looked like a #4-4 1/2" to me because of the handle size. It appeared to be too small of a diameter for the 1/4" stock version. I wish you had shown me that one at the show. I bet it handles extremely well!
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: lunde

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/13/09 09:57 PM

My dad's #4-6" with the following five options: stainless steel blade, #6 grind, nickel silver hilt, stag handle, and wrist thong:

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/13/09 10:08 PM

Ken,

Am I missing something here. I thought the Glades Hunter is the only 4-6 ever offered in Stainless with the #6 Grind. This to me looks like a non-Glades, Glades Hunter. Obviously several different options, but the blade is the same. The 4-6 in carbon has always been available with the #6 grind, but the Glades was the first in Stainless.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/13/09 10:19 PM

Apparently, the shop is now accepting orders for #4-6" knives with stainless steel blades and #6 grinds. This is evidenced by the fact that my dad placed the order with Nordic Knives late Summer or early Fall of last year, and received the knife in March or April of this year.

When I inquired with the shop about the #6 Grind with stainless steel blade, on his behalf, I was unaware of what was supposedly the policy, and while waiting for a reply I found out what the policy supposedly was. I told my dad about this, and he told me that he'd choose the stainless steel blade over the #6 Grind. I was quite shocked to learn that this could be ordered. In fact, I had to confirm that this was true. And, to make things clear, I did not request nor demand this to be done, but merely asked whether it was possible.

My educated guess is that the shop acquired the necessary expertise to do this on a more regular basis as a result of crafting the one-hundred Glades Hunters.

Obviously, there is much more to the Glades Hunter than the #6 Grind with a stainless steel blade.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/13/09 11:54 PM

Warren,
The
Glades Hunter" was the "first" offering of it's kind. Neither Perry, nor myself, ever suggested that it would be the "only" offering...Indeed the precedent for "follow-up" blades is long in the Randall shop's history.
Looking to the "not-so-distant" past: The RKS "First" club knife became the "Combat Companion". The RKS second club knife became the "Denmark Special". (Actually: It was The Denmark before and after the club knife). Again with the RKS third club knife The "Trailblazer" was born!
All of these models became catalog or non-catalog offerings. I don't anticipate the Glades Hunter pattern to follow along those line...but it may? All 3 RKS club knives will bring a very stout premium over the more "current" version...and they did not have near the whistles and bells of the "Glades Hunter"! They were also produced on a much more massive scale then the serial numbered 100 being offered on the "Glades Hunters".
Hope this help explain things a bit anyway...
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/14/09 08:28 AM

Ken,
That's a Beauty! Great looking stag!
Tony
Posted by: gatorhunter

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/16/09 04:29 AM

Some very nice 4's. here is one I made for my dad

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/16/09 10:09 AM

A very nice turkey scene. I imagine your dad liked it very much (giving it to him was a nice thing to do also).
~dale
Posted by: Guido_Bitossi

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/17/09 06:11 AM

Despite I dont turn crazy for Mod.4 here are mine.

From R to L: 4.1/2 A/I-5-6-7

A old seven spacers with spectacular reddish stag
Best
Guido

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/17/09 06:21 AM

This Mod.4-7 is pretty unique:
it was made in 1991 for the R.K.S.A. for the member who drove the most new members to the fraternity.

On flip side it has been engraved as:
RKSA WINNER MEMBER DRIVE
MICHAEL JOHNSON 1991

Spectacular stag and engraved butt plate.

Guido

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/17/09 08:05 AM

Guido,
BELLISSIMO!
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/17/09 08:15 AM

Guido,

Really nice display of Model 4's. Do you know who did the engraving for that knife? Exceptional stag on that knife too.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/17/09 09:06 AM

Warren,
your hilt-less Mod.4 is really a beauty !
I dont know about the engraving: hope Rhett can tells about!
Best
Guido

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/18/09 07:23 PM

Guido,

Thanks for your comments on my #4-5. I thought you saw that knife at the Blade Show, anyway I hope Rhett can lend a hand about the engraver of this 4-7. This knife is really something special and it would be nice to see some Provenance posted on it's history.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/19/09 10:02 PM

Here are a few more shots of my dad's extraordinary #4-6" stainless with #6 Grind:

The best part about this configuration is that the #6 Grind is not only possible with a #4-6" stainless now, but it is also a no-charge option. In other words, specifying the #6 Grind doesn't consume one of the five chargeable options. Obviously, it can be ordered through *any* authorized Randall dealer, or direct, of course.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/29/09 02:45 PM

Here is a model 4 with low S blade stamp,7-spacer black micarta, brass hilt and brass butt w/brass nut. JRB sheath.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/29/09 02:46 PM

Close-up of handle and stamp.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/29/09 02:47 PM

JRB sheath.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/29/09 02:50 PM

Perfectly beautiful Burnie !!!

Not you...the knife.

Dubie Baxter
Posted by: Aggiemike

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/29/09 09:07 PM

Nice Burnie!!

Bring it to the Blade Show next year.

Mike Webb
RKS #4107

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/29/09 09:24 PM

Burnie,

You get all the good low "S" knives.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/30/09 10:02 AM

Thanks guys, The low S knives are always a good find!
Posted by: Bill_Jacobs

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/30/09 10:31 AM

Kevin, here's a newer one to "counterbalance" that "old one" Burnie just posted. His is so old, the "S" has slipped down! This is a Mod 4-4.5, SS, Red Crown Stag, Black/Aluminum spacers,Nickel Silver Single Finger Hilt and black no hone sheath.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/30/09 10:36 AM

Kevin, here's the back side of the Mod 4-4.5

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/30/09 11:26 AM

Nice Bill, Except for the grind, you have an odd-numbered (Crown Stag) Glades Hunter, except for the Alligator sheath.

Dubie Baxter

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/31/09 10:30 AM

Dubie, that makes me feel better since I missed out on the Glades Hunter deal! I still think I want a Ray Thorp 12-13 (with a long stick for mounting the RT and a waxed sheath of course) for carrying around alligator country. Here's another picture of the Mod 4 on a Dale Dorris stand sitting on an AfricanGame Blesbok hide, cool, huh?
Bill J.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/31/09 06:01 PM

Bill,

I remember that knife recently on the Bay. I'm happy you got that one. I'm very fond of crown stag handles especially the red dyed ones. Good for you, well done!

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/31/09 07:37 PM

If it came from "SJJP", I built that knife for him. Am I close?
Nice piece!!!Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/31/09 08:19 PM

Capt Chris, I do have a red crown stag small sasquatch from Steve Peters but this one came from Dave Reeder, Joplin, MO. AKA "tackiehorse" on ebay. Warren probably did see this one on ebay but he had to be fast!
My appreciation for the smaller RMKs has grown a lot since joining this forum and seeing those owned by other members.
I was real glad to get this one since it doubled my crown stag collection. Bill J.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/31/09 08:23 PM

Very nice RMK 4 Bill.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Kevin

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/31/09 08:33 PM

Bill,

This crown stag knife was listed at least twice. I remember the listing. I had considered it but already own several Crown Stag Model 4's. Your small Sasquatch if you recall is the sister knife to my large Sasquatch both with dyed red crown.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/01/09 03:59 PM

Warren, that makes it even more amazing that I got it. I only saw it once. Yes, I remember you owning the "big brother" Sasquatch to my small one. It's the "crown stag jewel" of my small collection.
Have you posted pictures of your Large Sasquatch on the forum before? Bill J.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/01/09 08:14 PM

Bill,

Knife of the week is where you will find all my knives and the big daddy too.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/06/09 12:13 AM

Here's a Model 4-7 recent acquisition...pinned ivory and a no-hone JRB sheath. No checking or cracking on this baby in near 50 years.

Enjoy, Tom

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/06/09 09:29 AM

Tom...
THAT'S INCREDIBLE!! What a Beauty!
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/06/09 02:20 PM

Only Ivory I have, that has not cracked is a model 4 but it sure isn't any 50 years old. Hope my last for a few more years.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/06/09 04:40 PM

Tom, that beautiful ivory knife may be more like 55 years old. Pinned handles were phased out in the mid 60's. It's in a post '63ish sheath.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/08/09 11:47 AM

Can't compete with Steven's Ivory but here's a recent acquisition, sold off some 4's a while back and have been wanting a 6" model seven spacer ever since...

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/14/09 08:31 AM

Glades Hunter #62:

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/30/09 05:19 PM

Here is my #4 with Jim Behring's red micarta. It's the only good photo I have right now so you have to look at it's brother #3 as well.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 01/17/10 03:19 PM

Glades Hunter #61 (aka, #4-6" Stainless Steel w/#6 Grind, Thumb Notches, Nickel Silver Hilt (Squared), Aluminum & Black Spacers, Crown Stag Handle, and two lines of blade etching):

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 01/17/10 03:19 PM

Glades Hunter #62 (same thing, but with Stag Handle):

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 02/05/10 03:03 PM

Below are two quickie snapshots of my #4-6-6-SS that arrived today:

I ordered this #4-6" last August, and specified the following five chargeable options: stainless steel blade, thumb notches, nickel silver hilt, black Micarta handle, and single finger grip shape. The #6 Grind and the squared top of the hilt are non-chargeable options that I specified.
Posted by: Peter_Kaufman

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 02/05/10 03:28 PM

Very nice model 4 Ken, I like the model 6 grind on it

Peter
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 02/05/10 08:26 PM

Ken-

That last one of yours would be a super user #4-6-6. It's a dandy.

Pap

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 02/09/10 12:24 AM

Here is a better shot:

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 02/09/10 01:02 PM

And a few more:

Posted by: Tom_D

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 03/07/10 06:51 AM

Another #4-6-6-SS.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 03/07/10 10:09 AM

Tom,

That is gorgeous Stag! The color, proportion, and shape all come together in that specimen, and match the blade length and contour.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 03/07/10 10:12 AM

Here is another #4-6-6-SS that came in on Thursday, which is somewhat "Plain Jane" in that it has a standard Black Micarta handle. The four additional chargeable options are a Stainless Steel Blade (the #6 Grind is a non-chargeable option), Thumb Notches, Nickel Silver Hilt (the Squared Top is a non-chargeable option), and Aluminum/Black Spacers.

Here is the same knife, on top of a piece of Cherry Burl:

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 03/07/10 10:58 AM

There is "5" chargeable options, for anyone interested...not "4".
1) Stainless
2) Thumb notches
3) Nickel silver single hilt
4) Aluminum & black spacers
5) Black micarta handle
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Tom_D

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 03/07/10 11:07 AM

Chris, believe he said Micarta "plus" four others.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 03/07/10 11:12 AM

What was said was "standard" black micarta, which is confusing at best. "Standard" is leather. I was just trying to explain, by listing "all" 5 options, so someone doesn't order in error.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 03/07/10 11:15 AM

My use of "standard" was as Tom thought, specifically that its shape is standard, as opposed to being Border Patrol or Single Finger Grip (like the one I received last month). In any case, I am fully aware that this #4-6-6-SS has five chargeable options.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 03/07/10 11:20 AM

Oh, and the black sheath was $20 extra, but doesn't count toward the limit of five chargeable options. Specifying no hone pocket for the sheath was at no additional charge.

The best part is that I paid catalog price for this knife: $480 ($340 + $45 + $15 + $15 + $35 + $10 and $20 for the black sheath). I also received it just over six months after placing the order.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 03/07/10 02:42 PM

Nice #4's, at least the ones I can see.
My Verizon air card (w/5 bars) times out before I get to the bottom of the thread.
Posted by: Litch

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/30/10 04:47 PM

this one is a little older - maybe 70's?

Best, Peter

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/30/10 06:44 PM

Peter,
That's a classic beauty! wink wink wink
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 05/17/10 11:49 PM

I ordered this Brass + Ironwood #4-6-6-SS last December, and it arrived today:

The Ironwood is shop-supplied, and outstanding. The five chargeable options are: Stainless Steel Blade, Thumb Notches, Brass/Black Spacers, Ironwood Handle, and Brass Butt Cap. The non-chargeable options are: #6 Grind, Squared Hilt Top, and Radiused Butt Cap. I also specified a Black No-Hone Sheath.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 05/18/10 08:30 AM

Ken,
That Ironwood is a little lighter in color than usual.
It really looks nice ... especially with the brass! wink
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 05/18/10 11:04 AM

Ken-

That's a beauty and nicely ordered with your options. Should be a great user during hunting season.

Pap

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 05/18/10 11:21 AM

This is the first #4-6-6-SS that I have seen with a wood handle. I am still in awe about its Ironwood. I didn't have very high expectations, and then it shows up with an outstanding specimen, and a month earlier than expected to boot. It must be a good sign.
Posted by: ObliviousFool

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 05/28/10 11:16 PM

Can someone give me some more info on the Glades Hunter? Thanks!
Posted by: Tanasie

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 05/28/10 11:27 PM

Here's the story on the Glades Hunter..... [url=http://www.spaceportcutlery.com/default.aspx?id=29][/url]
Posted by: fabio

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 05/29/10 05:43 AM

is this your image?

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 05/29/10 08:36 AM

That's Perry Miller's image.

Here is a color-corrected version:

Posted by: Tanasie

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 06/05/10 03:39 PM

Kevin...

Here's a photo of my RMK #4-6"...'Glades Hunter', this is #02 of 100.

Posted by: Ausblade

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/12/10 09:59 PM

This one just immigrated to Australia.
It has a 7" Stainless blade, squared nickel silver hilt, all black spacers, a nice big piece of Clinton supplied stag and a rounded aluminum butt cap.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/13/10 08:27 AM

Hey Graham ...
NOW THAT'S A KNIFE!!!!!!!!
laugh

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/13/10 03:51 PM

Beautiful knives Graham and Ken.
Thanks for taking the time to post on The Knife Of The Week.

Kevin

PS Graham, for customer supplied handle material you can't beat Clinton Knives!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 09/12/10 01:22 PM

I finally got around to taking a good photo of my Brass+Ironwood #4-6-6-SS with its Don Hedrick "mini":

Here are additional photos of the "mini" version that is configured the same:

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 09/14/10 09:44 AM

Impressive as always on all counts.

Pap
Posted by: Jim459

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 09/14/10 09:46 PM

Ken,

WOW!!! A terrific set. Randall & Hedrick are a killer combo!

Beautiful photos - as usual.

- Jim

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 09/14/10 09:53 PM

Both beautiful knives Ken. Fantastic work done by the shop and Don Hedrick.
Thanks for taking the time to post on my Knife Of The Week thread.

Kevin

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/21/10 06:49 PM

Here is a model 4, 4 1/2 inch that I picked up recently. Nice size for most hunting in central PA and my favorite wood too!

Peter

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/21/10 07:59 PM

Peter,
That's a great lookin' little Randall!
What wood is that?????????????
Just kidding! grin

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/21/10 09:04 PM

Knowing Peter, that must be Desert Ironwood. grin
Posted by: rodbrown

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/22/10 01:46 AM

Peter

That is an excellent looking knife. IMO there may not be any Ironwood left in the desert soon, with you buying all those knives!!!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/23/10 07:07 PM

Well, I must have been good this year because the big brown truck stopped by today with this gift for me. I wasn't expecting it until next year, but it got done early I guess.
The guys in the shop did another excellent job

Here is my new model 4 6 inch, model 6 grind, stainless, thumb notches, square top brass hilt, very nice stag, all black spacers, wrist thong, compass with a waxed, left-hand no hone sheath.

Peter
Posted by: Leatherman

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/23/10 07:13 PM

Thats a very nice looking #4 Peter, use it in good health!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/23/10 07:19 PM

WOW Peter, another great user. What's a person to pack with all those choices??? Heck of a problem, huh??

Happy Holidays!!

Pap

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/23/10 07:21 PM

That's an outstanding #4-6-6-SS, Peter! And, as you know, that exact configuration can no longer be ordered.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/23/10 07:25 PM

Thanks guys
I had this knife pictured in my mind and it came out great even though it isn't ironwood:). I think that there are few situations that exist that I wont have a suitable knife to use.
Peter

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/23/10 08:54 PM

Ken,
Why can't this knife be ordered?...and thanks for the card.
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: Edited to add that I know the reason, but I thought Ken might want to explain it to folks who may want to order one...in the future...CCS

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/23/10 09:34 PM

Cap,

The reason that this configuration can no longer be ordered is because as of 2011, it will have six chargeable options. The #6 Grind on a #4-6", regardless of whether the blade is carbon steel or stainless, is now a chargeable option ($10). It was a non-chargeable option up until now.

Interestingly, the #6 Grind is still a non-chargeable for the #7-4.5" and #7-5" knives.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/23/10 10:44 PM

The reason it's non-chargeable on the "seven" is because of the "six".
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 03/29/11 08:59 AM

I was able to order this #4-6", which now has six chargeable options, under the wire, and it arrived yesterday (pardon the quickie snapshot, taken without the usual lighting):

Its sheath, of course, is black with no hone pocket. I wanted a clone of another that I own, but with an Ivorite handle:

These are the options I specified: Stainless Steel, #6 Grind, Thumb Notches, Aluminum/Black Spacers, Nickel Silver Hilt-Single, Squared Hilt Top (non-chargeable), Ivorite Handle, and Tear Drop Handle Shape (non-chargeable).

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/13/11 09:14 AM

Here are better shots of the #4-6-6-SS with Ivorite handle:

Posted by: HALORANGER

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 05/19/12 06:09 PM

Here is my new #4 Fighter with carbon blade and all brass furniture. The trickest part of this setup IMHO is the waxed no hone sheath.
Captain, You were right about my wrap job. I cut myself, but nothing that Gorilla Glue can't fix.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 05/19/12 08:29 PM

Good seeing you today Jimmy...and a nice score you made there.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 05/19/12 09:59 PM

Jimmy
Great looking model 4 fighter, a real classic

Peter

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 05/20/12 10:22 AM

Peter said it!!!!!!!!!
Enjoy Jimmy.
Posted by: Duke

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 05/21/12 06:12 AM

Great looking knife, Jimmy. Use it in good health.
Posted by: HALORANGER

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 05/21/12 08:53 PM

Thanks guy's, I appreciate it.
Posted by: Tom Vaught

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 05/21/12 09:53 PM

Jimmy, you have a couple of Model #4s I would be proud to own.

Tom Vaught
Posted by: Ortega BVT

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/24/12 10:51 AM

Received 1 month ago from the Captain (thanks!), it was with me yesterday during a hike in the woods smile

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/24/12 10:57 AM

Red & green...just in time for Christmas! Good looking rig!
Thanks, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/25/12 09:25 AM

Stefano,
That is a great looking #4 Fighter!
The red spacers go really well with the green micarta.
Use it in good health.
Tony
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/26/12 08:24 AM

Nice knife!!
The colors look great
:-)Rocky

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 01/31/13 05:51 PM

I just received this knife from the Randall shop on my Jan, 2013 order. (Yes: The shop is "on time") This is my first offering with fine silver that I have contracted to be founded. I could not be happier! Hope you folks like it. Just to be fair, I posted this to my website (My first listing at the new office/studio/shop) and it was sold almost instantly! It's kinda' hard not to like fine silver and musk ox!
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: CrazyCajun

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 01/31/13 06:00 PM

Outta Sight!!! Outta my League!!! Hope it went to a good home!!!
Spectactular!!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 01/31/13 06:12 PM

I can't talk right now, it's too much for me. Unreal!!

Pap
Posted by: Leatherman

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 01/31/13 06:37 PM

Stefano is that a light speed or a fastpack?
Posted by: Ortega BVT

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/24/13 12:06 PM

Classic #4-5, another real user, although I'm not a hunter...

Ben, I have a FAST Pack EDC

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/24/13 12:53 PM

That is simple and looks great.
Posted by: desert.snake

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/23/14 03:52 PM

Noticed today
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181500319503
No spacers, does even Black spacers.
I think the new handle?
And brazed just looks new.
Despite this, the knife is fine smile
Posted by: Robert Frey

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/18/14 05:08 PM

I guess I forgot to do the posterity post. I was looking for it to show someone, and couldn't find it here.

Here is the Model 4-41/2" I have. This is what I came up with as my choice of knife & options for the "Harley Build" that we did.

Model 4 – 4 1/2”
+Stainless Steel Blade
+Nickel Silver Double Hilt
+Aluminum/Black Spacers
+Maroon Micarta
+Teardrop Shaped Handle

Posted by: Litch

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/20/14 05:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Ortega BVT
Classic #4-5, another real user, although I'm not a hunter...

Ben, I have a FAST Pack EDC

Well done, Stefano! I always found the 4-5 to be a great user - not only for hunting smile

Enjoy!
Posted by: maxpastor

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/09/15 11:36 AM

here is my Model 4 - 7
Posted by: Ronnie

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/09/15 11:39 AM

Those Mod. 4's with a 7" blade are just wicked looking.
Beautiful knife Max.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/09/15 12:24 PM

Don't make 'em like this any longer. Unused condition from around 1946-47 in a Heiser sheath:
Posted by: Kirko

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/09/15 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: crutchtip
Don't make 'em like this any longer. Unused condition from around 1946-47:
That is ethereal "almost too perfect for this world". smile. A Moore sheath ? For some reason I really like those "wide mouth" sheathes .... Kinda like a scabbard for a sword

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/09/15 02:15 PM

Sheath is Heiser.
Yes" NICE!
Capt. Chris
Posted by: GHD

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/09/15 04:13 PM

My 4-4 user, don't know how old it is, but it's handy.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/09/15 09:11 PM

Whoa!

Nice Randalls!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/12/15 05:49 PM

Another Monday morning miss strike. LOL

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/12/15 07:29 PM

Very pretty knife and functional.

I do not have a 4" blade model #4.
I should start looking for a good "user" in that blade length.

Tom V.
Posted by: mileswelze

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/06/15 12:30 AM

old #4-5... right side carry Heiser translucent

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/06/15 02:31 AM

Tom I too have a Model 4-5" stacked leather handle in a Brown Button Sheath. The stone pocket was removed by the original owner. It's a nice knife with honest wear. I can't do pictures here but if you do want to see it I can email them to you.
Ronnie
Posted by: Tattoo Bill

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/06/15 07:24 AM

Awesome Model 4 Miles!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/27/15 06:07 PM

Bought #4-4.5 just now smile
The handle and the stone is clearly not original,
It can be sent to James Behring, or maybe not.

I wonder what it is the year of release?
I have a model 8-4 with the same form choil,
so I guess the knife production in 1970 +/- 3 years.
But I can not say for sure, and I ask the board
of experienced collectors Randall smile

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/27/15 07:07 PM

It's an old "KIT" knife. I was bidding on this one as well, but missed it while I was out buying a new gun safe.....lol
Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/27/15 09:15 PM

At least you were not ebayin and drivin, there's not to many Twisty Treats left...

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/28/15 09:47 AM

True!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/28/15 07:02 PM

Thank you Bill!

The new gun, it's no bad))

I thought on KIT blade must be stamped KIT,
or was it not always?

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/28/15 08:21 PM

That's an earlier blade, before they started etching them.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/21/15 04:58 PM

I found this image online, written that this is model 4 "fighter" WWII.
Interesting who is now the owner?
I would like to see the pictures from other angles, if possible smile

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/21/15 05:26 PM

My 4-4

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/21/15 05:32 PM

Here is a cool old #4 fighter from the early 50's. Pinned stag with finger grips. Love the double hilt.

Posted by: Whiteman

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/21/15 05:43 PM

That fighter is an outstanding example of a great period in RMK!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/21/15 07:56 PM

Here is another:

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/21/15 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: desert.snake
I found this image online, written that this is model 4 "fighter" WWII.
Interesting who is now the owner?
I would like to see the pictures from other angles, if possible smile

That is a misnomer. That is in Pete's book, and it is a Commando model of some sort. Unique to say the least and not a "model 4", which was not introduced until after the war.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/21/15 10:02 PM

But a precursor to the model #4 for sure....... would you agree Joe?
Posted by: GCTom41

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/22/15 05:38 AM

Joe,

On this post and one by Whiteman on the Model 1's thread, both knives look like the hilt matches the duralum cap. I am assuming this is not nickle silver; what material is the hilt?

Tom Flynn

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/22/15 06:22 AM

This one came up on e-bay a number of years ago advertised as only a "Hunting knife". As a result, the seller lost some money (Seller's original pic):

Here it is with three like "friends". Models 1, 2, 3 & 4 all with double hilts, all with ivory and all from the early to mid 50's"

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/22/15 11:27 AM

Originally Posted By: tunefink
But a precursor to the model #4 for sure....... would you agree Joe?

I don't think that the #4 was an actual thought when the knife pictured was made. The Commandos were early Hunter style blades with a sharpened top bevel. Some Commandos were "one off" blades. The WWII Hunter was the precursor to both the post war model 3 and model 4.

The WWII blade grinds varied in the Hunter model and you could probably make an argument that one blade looks more like a model 3 and another looks more like a model 4. Hence the "3 1/2" term coined by Pete Hamilton.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/22/15 11:44 AM

My ivory model 4 fighter

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/22/15 11:55 AM

So, you do agree Joe!!! grin

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/22/15 02:59 PM

Joe, Mitchell,
Thank you for corrections and good information! smile

Burnie, Ron,
Cool knives!

In any case, they really similar))

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/22/15 03:52 PM

The #4 fighter from Randall really isn't a model 4. It is more like a Commando. They should change the name. My .02

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/22/15 05:14 PM

Reminds me more of a SOG Bowie than anything else.
Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/22/15 06:29 PM

Little Bear is more reminiscent of SOG type Bowies. to me.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/23/15 01:18 PM

I would tend to agree more with desert.snake that the #4 Fighter (the SOG Bowie grind, and the RKS-4 grind) resembles more the "Commando" blade grind vs the "Little Bear" grind.

The #4 Fighter (the SOG Bowie grind and the RKS-4) all have twin peaks on the top of the blade.

The grind line from the tip of the blade is the same (intersecting with the second peak) on all 3 knives (the "Commando" blade, the SOG Bowie, and the #4 Fighter.
Even the RKS-4 knife exhibits that grind.

The Little Bear knife has a single peak and the blade grind is between that peak and the hilt of the knife. The blade grind is not like the blade grind on the other 4 knives at all.

Tom V.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/23/15 02:26 PM

I didn't get what you were saying Tom.

My point was the Randall moniker of "#4 Fighter" does not fit the grind. I guess they had to call it something.

It looks like a mid-war Commando, which by the way is what the RKS 4 was patterned after.

If not for the finger relief, this would have only one "peak" as you call it. Same with the RKS 4 and the #4 Fighter with the grind similar but a little different when compared to vintage pieces.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/23/15 05:22 PM

My point was the Randall moniker of "#4 Fighter" does not fit the grind. I guess they had to call it something.

It looks like a mid-war Commando, which by the way is what the RKS 4 was patterned after.

If not for the finger relief, this would have only one "peak" as you call it. Same with the RKS 4 and the #4 Fighter with the grind similar but a little different when compared to vintage pieces.

So, if I understand this correctly, We agree that the RKS-4, the Commando, and the #4 Fighter are similar, but a little different.

I just am trying to figure out where the Little Bear Bowie comment you made fits in the scheme. (Along with naming the #4 Fighter a "Fighter" comment.

Tom V.

Posted by: TAH

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/23/15 05:31 PM

What a cool knife, Joe, all the way down to the lanyard.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/23/15 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Tom Vaught

So, if I understand this correctly, We agree that the RKS-4, the Commando, and the #4 Fighter are similar, but a little different.

I just am trying to figure out where the Little Bear Bowie comment you made fits in the scheme. (Along with naming the #4 Fighter a "Fighter" comment.

Tom V.

to me, a double hilt Little Bear reminded me of the SOG Bowies. Now that the 4 Fighter is out, I don't disagree that it resembles the SOG plum blade type allot, save for the upsweep of the blade. A SOG knife has a clip point like a model 1.
I guess the "two peaks" is the only real similarity

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/24/15 06:52 AM

There was a very limited version of the WWII Hunter that had a double upsweep. It was a double hilt and sharpened clip away from being a small Commando:

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/24/15 08:01 AM

Is the bottom one the one you got from me at Blade years ago? cool piece with stepped choil.

Anyway, those resemble the Little Bear quite a bit.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/24/15 08:50 AM

That's the one.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/24/15 09:20 AM

I can now see the resemblence to the Little Bear that you speak of Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Tom Vaught

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 02/06/16 05:20 PM

I got yesterday. Excellent work of masters RMK!
I like the blade balance, fine tip, very comfortable handle smile
Knife took up his duties - sliced meat, vegetables, fruit,
whittling couple of cuttings for hand tools.
Sharpening from store is not blunt, excellent steel.

In next time order with stainless steel.

It is interesting to 4F model possible reduced hilt?

p.s.
Sorry for the blurry photos

p.p.s.
To transport the handle has been dismantled via my frend - Joe Tousignant. Clay is very strong connects the skin layers.
Had to use a gas-torch. Leather slightly burnt.
Soon I will be polishing the handle - will smooth surface and beautiful. Or install other material handle.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 02/06/16 06:43 PM

looks like you are on a mission...
Posted by: pcrcrepaira

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 02/08/16 10:56 AM

interesting looking knife..
Posted by: Lofty

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 02/11/16 11:37 PM

So, Gary Randall had never set eyes on a Commando until one day a customer brought one in for repair, and up until then, only knew of them from one photo of Robert Taylor wearing one?

And I am very sorry the above knife of Desert Snake had to be disassembled for import. Almost as sorry that I never saw the knife apart. I would love to see details of end of tang, and the bottom/hidden side of the aluminum butt of the knife.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 02/12/16 07:08 AM

Lofty, no problems, I did the scan at a time,
when I got a knife from the mail.
All the same, as in the picture from the website smile

One point that I would very much like
to see the knife Randall - round shoulders.
This will make the knife actually almost indestructible,
but it is difficult in terms of precise fit of the guard
and it takes longer.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 02/12/16 09:52 AM

As long as there is a radius and smoothly finished, it is not that big a deal on how large the radius might be. You will note the Randall blade IS radiused. And actually very few will break there if no radius and no smooth finish. Folk complaining as to lack of radius are comparing an apple to an orange, thinking a bare blade takes the stress. But the ricasso rear shoulders are resting on solid brass which prevents that area from flexing entirely. Unless a flaw in the steel to begin with (more likely with carbide clumping in stainless) or bad heat treat batch, I would not lose sleep over it, and do not.

Your pommel aka handle butt photo should be saved and posted under a separate sticky of "Why Can't I Just Crank Down On The Nut If Leather Gets Loose?" I was hoping someone would post a dissasembled knife one day to show the butt is not just drilled through and floating up and down. It is butted against tang and will strip thread and/or nut if tightened. You have no idea how many people try to tighten a loose leather handle rather than keep leather sealed and moisturized against shrinking.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 02/12/16 10:03 AM

While the nuances is interesting (& it "is), we should keep on topic. It's easy to get off topic. I would suggest a separate thread, dedicated to the subject of tangs, construction, etc.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 02/12/16 10:06 AM

To chime in again on the "commando" vs hunter theorizing, I would say the "hunters" have not much resemblance to the Bo Randall Scagel inspired pre-war knives. The wartime knives have the speedier production and stronger attached handle we know today. And the War Department would have taken a very dim view of an abuse of the dispensation on critical materials being sold for rich civilian hunting use. The knives were likely sold for military use (or should have been), and perhaps differ from one another simply by features for which a customer was willing or able to pay, or even desired?

As for current name, 4-8 fighter or 4-6 fighter, is it possible simply because made from a #4 knife blank?

And one late point being that of course the famous and infamous and rich and powerful continued to have access to knives from the shop, witness movie stars sporting about with them and them not in service, but in the main, the vast majority would have been destined for those with military orders, designs had not settled into anything truly definable and customer requests as for detailing or even totally new designs such as a 10" scimitar were honored without hesitation. So I would hesitate to draw any firm conclusions as to names of knives fearing there were none to reach.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 02/12/16 08:10 PM

I have had some trouble earlier today posting photos in here. Anybody else?
Capt. Chris
PS: Testing 1,2,3...
My Bone Linen on a #4-6", with #6 grind...CCS
Posted by: Wally

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 02/12/16 08:11 PM

Picture is loud and clear Cap'n.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 02/12/16 08:24 PM

Perhaps a ID 10 T error? grin

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 02/13/16 12:05 PM

Perhaps a short between the headsets.
Posted by: willhunt

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 05/03/16 05:49 PM

Here is my contribution to the thread. My first, and only Model 4. Bought at the 2016 Spring Sale. Model 4-7, SS, nickel silver hilt/spacers, and a gorgeous piece of crown stag.

Randall-4-7--a-web by Bill Singer, on Flickr

Randall-4-7-web by Bill Singer, on Flickr

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 05/03/16 06:02 PM

This is A Game material... but we really need a sheath pic as well grin

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 05/12/16 03:05 PM

Lost in the 60's......lol
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 05/12/16 03:10 PM

Bill,

The crown stag is beautiful but that 7 spacer is killer. Great finds.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/15/16 01:56 AM

Friends, a friend of mine from US is thinking to sell or not to sell a knife.
But he is interested to know the cost because it does
not know how to evaluate.
His message:
Quote:
I have attached 3 photos but if not good enough, could try a different camera; maybe. You will see the bad news: I dyed the sheath red in 1950 and after 66 years some of the dye bled onto the grip. Maybe it would clean off but have not tried as don't know what to try. Other than that, is in very good shape; has been sharpened but used very little.
I do not have an invoice but do have the envelope and "catalog" Randall sent me in 1950. From that can see I paid $20 for a 4-7, $.50 Nickel Silver Hilt, Name Etching $1.50. Stag Handle $2.00 and Finger Grips $.50. The catalog is interesting, including the statement "PRICES ARE NOT SUBJECT TO CHANGE".
Please let me know what you think and if you can post it for me. I rather hate to sell but as I had not even looked at it for 40 years or so guess it is the thing to do or my heirs would probably sell it for $10.

I roughly estimated, at prices Ebay, AZCK and other.
I think it's somewhere $ 900-1100
But the shell is painted and stag took over the part of the paint,
there is name of etching, so I can not say for sure.
What are your thoughts?

P.S.
Dear moderators, I should ask the question in a separate topic,
or I can hold here?
Posted by: Anderson

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/07/16 09:25 PM

Here is my Model 4-4.5".
SS blade, NS hilt, maroon micarta, buttcap.

It's like miniature knife.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/12/16 11:03 PM

A nice early example of the model 4-7" in a riveted translucent button sheath. This knife came from the DuPont family estate.
Posted by: Zogger

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/13/16 08:27 AM

Interesting. Any idea of the year it was made?

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/13/16 09:24 PM

WOW!
A Randall like that could get me to sell all my newer Randalls and just start
collecting the oldies!
laugh

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/13/16 09:36 PM

Burnie,
That considered a wide blade? Sure looks like one. In any case, exceptionally clean knife and sheath. Most definitely well taken care of, even if it has a few age pits, who cares?
And the stag, love it just like my oldies from the day. Something tells me Mike Webb had some fingerprints somewhere. He is the king of 4's.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/17/16 04:25 PM

4-6" Fighter, Stainless Steel Blade, Brass Hilt, All Black Spacers, Leather Handle, Brass Butt Cap, Wrist Thong.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/18/16 12:00 PM

Beautiful! smile

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/18/16 12:27 PM

I need to polish it better before I take new pics. It was just arrived yesterday 11/17/16. This one's a keeper.
Posted by: Anderson

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 01/06/17 06:36 AM

Here is my Model 4-7".

*Stainless Steel Blade
*Nickel Silver Double Hilt
*Stag Handle
*Aluminium/Black Spacers
*Duralumin Crow's Beak Buttcap

Fighter configuration. Curved blade is beautiful!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 01/06/17 08:34 AM

that's a beauty!!

:-)Roccky

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 01/06/17 09:00 AM

Fightin' Four! Nice,

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 01/06/17 08:15 PM

Sexy Nice Get!!!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/08/17 01:05 AM

The jewel of my collection so far is this Model 4-7, with stunning pinned stag, and nickel silver hilt.

Posted by: GCTom41

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/09/17 07:43 AM

Willhunt,

That is a great get there. The sheath and the dark stag are awesome.

Tom Flynn

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/10/17 09:04 AM

Will,

That needs to be in a museum of art. smile
Posted by: needfull things

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/12/17 02:00 AM

Yep, that #4 really is a work of art. Stunning with sensual curves and lustrous Antler. Lucky Guy..

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/12/17 02:12 PM

Question. Willhunt's handle appears highly polished both on high points and hollows of Antler.
Is this from Long term handling causing patina naturally or by "active" polishing by applying polishing compound/oil?
The sanded area near hilt has a lovely Patina which is not seen on a new knife..

Thou shall not covert another's knife, but I do, I do..
Posted by: Tracer

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/12/17 05:10 PM

What's wrong with coveting? That knife is incredible.

Welcome to the forum, needfull.
Posted by: Boomer51

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/12/17 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: needfull things
Question. Willhunt's handle appears highly polished both on high points and hollows of Antler.
Is this from Long term handling causing patina naturally or by "active" polishing by applying polishing compound/oil?
The sanded area near hilt has a lovely Patina which is not seen on a new knife..

My guess is a little mineral oil but Will can answer.

Great looking package Will, doesn't get much better than that.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/14/17 02:28 PM

Yes, I did rub some mineral oil into the handle. And thanks to all for the kind comments.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/15/17 02:19 AM

Thanks for the info on the Mineral oil Willhunt. Will get some to rub into my #5 & # 7.
Thanks for the welcome Tracer.
Have been lurking and learning for a while.
I do seem to be attracted to Randalls like a moth to a flame.
Posted by: Wally

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/15/17 08:42 AM

Another forumite here (whiteman) recommended to me lemon oil for Stag.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 06/12/17 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: willhunt
Yes, I did rub some mineral oil into the handle. And thanks to all for the kind comments.

Bill, what do you use on your old sheaths?

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 06/12/17 06:38 PM

oh no...not the sheath thing....we should never ask these things...

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 06/12/17 07:46 PM

Now Rocky I don't see it going out control.
Take a deep breath, its all good.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 06/12/17 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: thevalueman
oh no...not the sheath thing....we should never ask these things...

lol.....don't sweat it, I'm just asking Bill about his sheath only.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 06/12/17 09:07 PM

Now that some of us have been to to gym, What's next?

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 06/13/17 09:36 AM

shew!!!
You had me worried for a second...
I'm o.k. now...

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/10/17 04:52 PM

This 4-6 Fighter doesn't get enough press time; it should. If you don't own one, you owe it to yourself to consider it. This is a great blade.
Posted by: JE6245

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/10/17 06:14 PM

You make an excellent point there Warren. Classic configuration on that one. Nicely done.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 11/10/17 07:10 PM

Thanks for the reply Jim. Really like this blade alot.
Posted by: Abercenfi

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/14/18 10:16 AM

A big one and a little one with brown stitched sheaths.

Posted by: Daniel Ross

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 02/16/19 04:33 AM

Circa 1953, 7", ivory w/ grips, thong.

WOW !!! I want one

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 06/27/19 06:06 PM

Here is a beautiful oldie Model 4. Pinned stag with a riveted Heiser sheath.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 06/27/19 06:11 PM

And another great old Model 4 with gorgeous, creamy pinned ivory.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 06/28/19 08:39 AM

Will, I always look forward to your knives and photography. Stunning!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 06/28/19 08:57 AM

Dittos on that. Beautiful photos.

Pap
Posted by: Kirko

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 06/28/19 10:32 AM

Very lush !
Posted by: spark42

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/01/20 11:16 PM

Picked this up a couple of weeks ago.
#4 41/2" Stainless W/NASA logo
NS hilt, Alum/Black spacers, Thumb notches
NASA G3 Brown/Honey BP Handle
Brown type B sheath w/NASA logo
Thanks Capt.

Dennis

Posted by: KENKAN

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/01/20 11:31 PM

Very nice one Dennis!!
Happy to get to visit with you and Dr. Bill at the AGCA Show.

Ken Lambert
RKCC CM-020 RKS #3610
NRA Benefactor
FOP

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/10/20 07:21 PM

Here is a model 4-7 that I am told is from 1945. And probably just like you, I noticed the strange keeper strap on the sheath. I have also been told that the strap was made for a very short period of time by the Edward Bohlin Company, who made very fancy saddles and western gear at that time. I have seen one other strap/sheath like this on e-Bay. Has anyone here ever seen a strap like this? Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/10/20 07:41 PM

The strap is a replacement.
Posted by: DeltaMike

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/10/20 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: willhunt
Here is a model 4-7 that I am told is from 1945. And probably just like you, I noticed the strange keeper strap on the sheath. I have also been told that the strap was made for a very short period of time by the Edward Bohlin Company, who made very fancy saddles and western gear at that time. I have seen one other strap/sheath like this on e-Bay. Has anyone here ever seen a strap like this? Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.]

[/url]

Very nice looking knife there and for its age it’s fantastic. Just curious I see what seems to a brass pin going through the handle from one side to another. One of my USGI M1 carbines has a brass pin similar as do many of the WWII weapons to halt small cracks from growing in their wood stocks. Is that the purpose the one in your handle or is it serving or another purpose? Thanks
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/11/20 03:06 PM

That's not a repair pin like you see in older USGI (wood) stocks.

In hidden-tang knives, the easiest way to break the (epoxy) bond between the handle material and the tang would be to twist it. To keep that from happening, the tang is drilled and a pin inserted as seen here.

A lot of knifemakers still do this practice today.

Others (including RMK) have worked their handle attachment processes to avoid the need for the pin.
Posted by: DeltaMike

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/11/20 04:40 PM

Thanks for the concise info.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/11/20 05:57 PM

Great looking knife and sheath, Will. Not sure if the keeper strap was made by Bohlin, but it is a common "fold-over" design that is often seen in vintage gun belts. Heiser made that style of belt as well. It would make sense that a holster shop might have made it and just copied the basic design of a gun belt. Regardless, I think the keeper strap is pretty cool.

Here are a couple of photos I took from the book, "Packing Iron" of a vintage Heiser rig.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/12/20 07:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Windsor
That's not a repair pin like you see in older USGI (wood) stocks.

In hidden-tang knives, the easiest way to break the (epoxy) bond between the handle material and the tang would be to twist it. To keep that from happening, the tang is drilled and a pin inserted as seen here.

A lot of knifemakers still do this practice today.

Others (including RMK) have worked their handle attachment processes to avoid the need for the pin.

Rob -

RMK used pitch for handles on the tang/handle bond up until probably the late 50's, and was replaced by superior epoxy type adhesives, coinciding with the disappearance or need for a pin.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/12/20 01:34 PM

Thanks for the addition/correction, Joe. smile

I have an anecdotal story about tang pins from another knife builder, but that's for another place and another time.
Posted by: coachblalock

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/21/21 11:51 PM

Does anybody have picture of a Model 4-7 with a Commando handle?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/22/21 08:34 AM

Here ya' go,
Stay Sharp, Capt. Chris
PS: I believe I made this for our very own, James C...

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/22/21 09:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
Here ya' go,
Stay Sharp, Capt. Chris
PS: I believe I made this for our very own, James C...

YES...yes you did! =)
Posted by: Eric

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/22/21 09:31 AM

Love the no-hone sheath

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/22/21 10:06 AM

No Hone is nice...."BUUUUUT" its NOT nearly as nice as the lefty Basketweave Danny made for me...
Posted by: Eric

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/22/21 10:55 AM

A fancy Sullivan no hone is better. Great job putting them together.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/22/21 11:31 AM

Here, after reducing the size a considerable amount, is James' knife and custom sheath...
Nice, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Shoot870p

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/22/21 11:43 AM

Nice for sure.
Walker

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/22/21 11:47 AM

James, you setting these up for display again at Blade 2021?

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/22/21 11:53 AM

Thanks, Capt !

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/22/21 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Windsor
James, you setting these up for display again at Blade 2021?

Have to be at Blade to set up a display.... I've got a killer display idea though...so hopefully 2022!
Posted by: spark42

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 04/27/21 01:04 AM

James.
We will miss you and Becky. Won't be the same with out y'all.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/10/21 06:48 PM

Old 50’s pinned stag 4-7 with some nice patina.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/10/21 07:24 PM

I love old Randall's, they have lots of character. Great knife.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/11/21 12:05 AM

Boomer is that sheath marked Randall?

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/11/21 12:06 AM

It doesn’t look like a Randall Sheath.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/11/21 07:37 AM

Looks like an early 50's Heiser.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/11/21 09:59 AM

Mitchell is correct, it’s a Heiser.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/11/21 10:02 AM

It's a surplus Korean War era Heiser 1-8 sheath that the shop cut down to 7" and used for 3-7's and 4-7's. I've seen more than a half dozen over the years. There is one in Pete's book on page 70 bottom left corner.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/11/21 12:08 PM

Good info Ron, thanks. It is marked 8 under the Heiser stamp and the modification near the toe can be seen in the photo. It also has a branded top snap which is not present on my other Heiser’s. Bottom photos compares it with the sheath of of one of my other 4-7’s.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/11/21 12:23 PM

You're welcome, Dwight. I'm always happy to shed some light if I can. If you have Pete's book, that sheath I mentioned is identical to yours in terms of snaps.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/11/21 09:35 PM

Interesting sheath. First one I think I’ve seen. Thanks for the info.
Posted by: JE6245

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/12/21 02:30 PM

Nice to hear from you Ron. Hope you are doing well.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/12/21 03:30 PM

You're welcome, Ronnie

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 07/12/21 03:30 PM

Thanks so much, Jim. Doing great. Just getting older, that's all grin

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/06/21 02:35 PM

Brand new from last week!

Model #4-7 with lots of curve.
Black Micarta commando handle with nickel silver hardware

I can see myself using this'un to slice Brisket, Beef Ribs, and/or Baby Backs!
Posted by: LarryWW1246

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/06/21 05:50 PM

Coach--

Wonder if they would grind it with the trademark side of the blade left flat, and the bevel on the opposite side only?!?

That would help right-handers life me slice straight.

Larry

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/06/21 06:23 PM

Well Larry,

I never thought about goin’ that far with it!

I was just gonna put an edge on it that would shave frog hair and go at it like that!

Brisket, Beef Ribs, & Baby Backs can be et with a crooked cut just as good as a straight one.

Just sayin’

Coach

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/06/21 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: BoBlade
It's a surplus Korean War era Heiser 1-8 sheath that the shop cut down to 7" and used for 3-7's and 4-7's. I've seen more than a half dozen over the years. There is one in Pete's book on page 70 bottom left corner.

I have an interesting question for folks to ponder. When Ron says "the shop", he doesn't mean the Randall shop.

So, what "shop" do you guys think did the work? Heiser? Local?

Discuss.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/07/21 10:09 AM

Good question, Joe. The shop would have farmed the work out.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/07/21 11:17 AM

Coach--

I was just thinking out loud about when I have to carve a roast. A flat surface on the left side would help me to keep the slices the same thickness.

You got a nice knife. It is one of my favorites. But I never got the longer blade.

Larry

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/07/21 02:32 PM

Larry:

My son lives in Japan. He says that they make a knife that will cut sushi precisely and paper thin. They use a steel called honyaki.

It is ground and honed like you are describing. He says they are pricey but they will slice thin and straight. Check it out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honyaki

Coach

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/07/21 09:55 PM

Coach, that was interesting info for sure.
Thanks
Walker

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/08/21 12:33 PM

Always learning!

Thinking that we own some quality Japanese knives, but probably nothing like described on that website.

Thanks for sharing.

Larry
Posted by: BladesNBarrels

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/09/21 03:42 PM

Wow, I went down that rabbit hole and discovered a whole new world of knives and terminology.
Just not your simple whacker or stabber.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 08/10/21 06:49 PM

We got off the model #4 discussion so I started a new thread on Japan’s City of Knives. Enjoy & contribute.
Posted by: DoubleW

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/02/21 04:46 PM

4-6 Stag NS Hilt, built as a “Fighter”

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/03/21 01:37 AM

Good looking knife.
Walker

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 10/03/21 09:43 AM

Nice #4 !

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/19/23 10:57 AM

Ho Ho members,
It's been quite some time since anyone has posted on this great topic. I dusted off an old gem, to post a couple of pics on the forum and decided to add a few to this topic.
Most certainly a very early transitional Model #4-5 inch from what was featured prior to this time period. I put this knife as being made in the mid(ish) 1970's. Still 7 spacers but in a Maurice Johnson (tight-stitched) butterfly Model A sheath...with the new (at the time) baby dot snaps!
Hope y'all enjoy it 1/4 as much as I do!
Stay Sharp,
Capt. Chris
Posted by: 505Gibbs

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/19/23 11:05 AM

I'll offer this one to the mix.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 4 !!!! - 12/19/23 01:55 PM

Outstanding!
Shoot870p