Knife of the Week Model 3 !!!

Posted by: vklough46

Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 07:21 AM

Thanks to all that have participated thus far.

From Randall Made Knives: The History of the Man and the Blades by Robert L. Gaddis, pg. 71
Quote:

In November 1943, Bo decided to redesign one of his Scagel-style hunting knives to use the same hilt, handle, and butt cap as his fighters. The blade shape was similar to the number 9 style shown in the first catalog. This in turn was a direct descendant of the original knife made from his sketch of Litch Steinman's William Scagel hunter. The blade width, tang shape, and length of this new hunter were the same as those of his fighting knives. This allowed use of the rough hilt, leather disks, vulcanized fiber spacers, and aluminum butt cap that went onto the Fighter or Stiletto. The top quillion was removed from the hilt before finishing the handle to basically the same size and shape as the Fighter. Randall Knives now had a hunting knife that could be fabricated right along with the two combat types without disrupting the flow of orders from servicemen. Bo called this new model simply 'The Hunter.'

Thus was born today's Model 3.
It is my understanding (please correct me if I am wrong) that the Model 3-5'' was Mr. Randall's favorite model. I read that when asked what appealed to him about that knife, his answer that he could get in and out of his pickup truck without his knife being in his way. How refreshing it would be if in today's marketing society more people would give honest and concise answers instead of hyperbole.
Lady and gentlemen may we please see some Model 3's.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 07:34 AM

Dubie was nice enough to get this thread started off.
Model 3-4 1/2'' blade. 1/4'' stock.

Posted by: Chief

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 08:18 AM

Here is a newer one I just picked up.

See Ya, Chief
Posted by: tomthbomb

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 08:49 AM

Everyone has seen this photo before but here it is again!

If the #3 appears to be floating about the other items in the photo it is becaue I used rare earth magnets to raise it.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 09:03 AM

Tom,

I like the double hilt model 3's, very nice!! Any with a forward curve I've never seen one!

See Ya, Chief
Posted by: Hagsjr

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 09:06 AM

3-6 fighter configured.

Jerry

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 09:12 AM

Quote:

3-6 fighter configured.

Jerry

Man I got to have one of those!!!!! I'll thank you when I get one cause now I'm stressing cause I don't!!! Sweeeet knife!!!

See Ya, Chief
Posted by: 7033grip

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 09:32 AM

I don't think the guys in the shop were wearing mittens when they made this one.

Can't find anyone who has seen a #3-4" yet, so I guess it was a custom order.

Dubie
Posted by: RKS3500

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 10:47 AM

I believe this to be and early to mid 50's... [image]C:\Documents and Settings\Robert\My Documents\My Pictures\ebay ready\ran3-7e4.jpg[/image]
Posted by: RKS3500

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 11:07 AM

Flip side...

Rob web page
Posted by: Hagsjr

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 12:23 PM

A pinned stag 3-7.

Jerry

Posted by: tunefink

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 12:57 PM

Here's a sweetie..... mid 60's low S with Black micarta and 7 spacers and brass furniture.

Posted by: Cabinet_Man

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 01:16 PM

Rob,
It won't let me view the web page you linked to, but here are your pics put together and right up front...

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 01:38 PM

Here's my 3's, all with stag and finger grips...
* the one on top is a 3-7" from around the late 1960's, and has 7 spacers
* second one is a 3-7" from maybe the last 15 years or so
* the bottom one is a 3-5" from the last few years
~dale

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 01:40 PM

The right sides

Posted by: Rick_Bowles

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 02:08 PM

Here's a neat mini model #3. This mini is serial number #1501 and it's the only second issue mini #3 with ivory.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 02:24 PM

Another Model 3 from Dubie.
A chrome plated 3-6''. From the 1960's.

Posted by: tglassco

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 03:24 PM

It's no secret that I lean towards the larger blades but this Model # 3, 5" doesn't take a back seat to any of my other Randall Knives. 1999 Production.

Posted by: RoyH

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 03:36 PM

A recent one.

This is a #3-5 w/ thumb notches and compass.
Posted by: patrickjames

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 03:54 PM

Man, RoyH ! Now thats a hand full of stag. You would wear some skin off if you handled that much. Wish it was mine.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 04:13 PM

Thanks, Patrick. It's a handful!

Another 3-5, w/ maroon micarta, thumb notches and #22 style handle config:

May be my favorite.
Posted by: sterusmall

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! *DELETED* - 10/21/07 06:04 PM

Post deleted by tomthbomb

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 06:08 PM

Bo Randall would be proud.

Dubie
Posted by: Holzinger258

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 07:25 PM

-Steve

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 08:57 PM

I would like to thank everyone that has posted. I appreciate the participation.
We have seen some beautiful knives.
Thanks again,
Kevin
Posted by: New2Randalls

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 09:00 PM

Here's my 3-7, standard leather handle but with a crows foot and thumb notches. One of these days I'm going to get a macro lens for my camera so I can take better detailed pictures. Sorry for the poor picture quality.

Dan Snyder
RKS #5537
Posted by: CBW

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/07 11:51 PM

Model 3-7 stag, nickel silver fittings
Model 3-5 slabbed stag, brass fittings
Standard Mini Model 3
Mini model 3, stacked leather, brass fittings

Chris Walker
RKS #5398

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/22/07 12:16 AM

Very nice Chris. That stag is scary !!!!!

Dubie Baxter

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/22/07 12:30 AM

Dan's...

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/22/07 12:32 AM

Chris'...

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/22/07 12:33 AM

Nice pics guys! This is a really nice thread.
~dale

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/22/07 06:53 AM

Ditto what Dale said! Another 3-5 w/ thong hole.
Posted by: silverknife

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/22/07 12:04 PM

Here's an older #3 slightly used with a touch of patina on the blade. The handle is also only slightly worn but all in all a lovely example:

Regards, Doug

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/22/07 12:27 PM

Really nice knife Doug. I remember reading that "Minty" is not one of your favorite expressions so I won't use it here.

Thanks for posting,
Kevin
Posted by: alan_grombacher

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/22/07 12:59 PM

Hey Doug,

Curious here. What is the history of your #3? It has seen better days.

Cheers,

Alan
RKS #5531

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/22/07 02:04 PM

Sterling hardware would fix that right up.

It looks like a knife that lives in Central Florida now.

Dubie

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/22/07 02:29 PM

"Minty" well, maybe, but I could see it on eBay as "Perfect condition without any visible flaws whatsoever except on the blade and handle."

Alan-this was in a box full which was wrapped in tissue paper and stored in a basement wich flooded according to the seller. I bought a bunch of them. Only one or two were salvageable. The sheaths were no where to be found.

This one was not salvageable either:

Dubie, I'm not sure which one you wound up with, I had a bunch of #3's,a few #7s, a #1, a #14, a #15 and a #25-6 which were all beyond redemption (except for the #25-6 which was stainless but the handle was rotted right off it)
Posted by: 50ae

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/22/07 02:52 PM

Well, what the heck, that last one may not be salvageable for a mantle piece but it sure as heck can be a good user.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/22/07 02:56 PM

Doug, how 'bout holding a "user" auction on the Forum?

At least on THIS auction, we would know what we're getting.

Dubie

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/22/07 03:12 PM

Ah yes........another old Randall.

Doug, be sure your tetanus shots are up to date before you start foolin' with that one!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/22/07 03:18 PM

Quote:

See Ya, Chief

Chief, did you supply the brown Micarta? Looks like some I got from Treeman's. Nice knife!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/22/07 11:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

See Ya, Chief

Chief, did you supply the brown Micarta? Looks like some I got from Treeman's. Nice knife!

Not mine but as soon as I saw it I new it was coming home with me!!!

See Ya, Chief
Posted by: Steven

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/23/07 11:23 AM

Happy Birthday Mr. Bomb!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/23/07 07:24 PM

I Think these are the only #3s I own:

The sheath is not original to the knife and I still don't have the correct stone for it. This is NOT an advertisement to purchase the stone, after my trip I don't have $5 left over to send to Rhett, so if you have the correct stone for sale, please DO NOT email me at silverknife1@aol.com and tell me how much you want for the stone including shipping.

Thanks

Regards, Doug

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/23/07 08:14 PM

Ha, Doug, that's a good one. Very nice knives too.
~dale

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/23/07 09:17 PM

Beauties Doug.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/23/07 09:19 PM

Thanks for posting these beauties Doug.
The raven caws at midnight.
Kevin

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/23/07 09:43 PM

Doug,

I have the answer, just sell the new one to Tom & the old one to Joe! Nice Blades Dude!!!!!

See Ya, Chief

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/23/07 10:02 PM

Chief, Now why didn't I think of that??? Uh Oh. NOW I may owe Rhett that $5.00. CARP!!!

Kevin: The North Wind Chills the hands of the Children at play.

Regards,
Doug
Posted by: Rob_Schoening

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/23/07 10:16 PM

Doug,
Very sweet #3's!
Rob

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/23/07 10:20 PM

Hey what is the secret code you guys have going on? You aren't some kind of spies sending messages are you? I mean Doug has been out of the country, Hum?

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/23/07 11:36 PM

Those who talk don't know and those who know don't talk. 'nuff said?

Regards, Doug

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/24/07 06:35 AM

Thanks to everyone for posting
Doug,
Even if the butterfly loses a wing, it is still beautiful, yet it flies in circles.
Kevin

Posted by: Rick_Bowles

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/24/07 08:49 AM

Here are a couple more miniature model #3s. The top one is a first generation mini #3. The bottom is a second generation mini 3 serial number #911. This is the only depiction I did of the twin towers.

Posted by: Kent_Warnberg

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/24/07 10:02 AM

Rick and Doug,

Great looking #3's. Doug, Have you received any replies to your "Secret" inquires?

Kent
RKS #109
Life Member NRA

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/24/07 10:05 AM

Inquiries?? I didn't make any inquiries about a stone to go with that Pinned Ivory #3-7. Did you think that Iwas making any inquires?? Probably that's why I did not receive any responses.

Regards, DOug
Posted by: Topos

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/26/07 02:01 PM

Tom, it seems that you are my alter-ego. ;My M1A1 Folding Stock, 1944 Inland Div., with original jump case, and .45 NM - last one from Gov. Springfield Armory, MA. I knew you had wonderful taste. [I still have unopened cannister of .30 Ball I got in 1960]. Again, congratulations on your discriminating taste in 'iron'
Posted by: EDO

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/27/07 07:00 AM

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/27/07 07:02 AM

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/27/07 07:03 AM

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/27/07 12:47 PM

Wonderful 3's Edo thanks for sharing them with us.
Kevin
Posted by: BoBlade

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/27/07 01:22 PM

I picked this one up at the Blade show in June. Interestingly enough, it was not brought to the show to be sold. The gentleman was carrying it as a user! It took me pretty much the whole show to talk him out of it, but in the end we both parted happy campers.

Until then I had never seen any WWII Hunter come as close to the one Mr. Gaddis describes as "mid 1944" on page 68 of his book. Note the abbreviated choil, extended top quillion, small ricasso and "Scagelesque" blade grind.

I had yet another (Hunter) surprise in store for me at the show: Going back to Kevin's introduction of the Model 3:
Quote:

From Randall Made Knives: The History of the Man and the Blades by Robert L. Gaddis, pg. 71
Quote:

In November 1943, Bo decided to redesign one of his Scagel-style hunting knives to use the same hilt, handle, and butt cap as his fighters. The blade shape was similar to the number 9 style shown in the first catalog. This in turn was a direct descendant of the original knife made from his sketch of Litch Steinman's William Scagel hunter. The blade width, tang shape, and length of this new hunter were the same as those of his fighting knives. This allowed use of the rough hilt, leather disks, vulcanized fiber spacers, and aluminum butt cap that went onto the Fighter or Stiletto. The top quillion was removed from the hilt before finishing the handle to basically the same size and shape as the Fighter. Randall Knives now had a hunting knife that could be fabricated right along with the two combat types without disrupting the flow of orders from servicemen. Bo called this new model simply 'The Hunter.'

Thus was born today's Model 3.

Mr. Gaddis brought a photo copy from the Randall files that had never been published: It was again of the 1st three models similar to the photo on page 68, but it was taken late in 1943. This Hunter had a WRIST THONG LINK and an ever more rudimentary blade grind! Makes you wonder how many of these were made and where they are now. I hope I live long enough to see one show up

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/27/07 02:26 PM

Great stuff !!!

Thanks, as always for the contribution.

Dubie

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/27/07 02:32 PM

Ron,
That's a great find! You mentioned the guy was carrying it as a user, so evidently it had a sheath with it? What does the sheath look like?
~dale

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/27/07 03:16 PM

Thanks, Dubie!

Dale: Good question and another interesting part of the story. The gentleman had picked up the knife a number of year before without a sheath. He had cut out the back pocket of a pair of Levis, wrapped the blade in that and then just stuck that "package" in the back pocket of the pair of Levis he was wearing! As luck would have it I had picked up a period sheath a couple of months earlier: An e-bay seller had put up a mismatched WWII Hunter with a 5 5/8" blade and a sheath accomodating a 7" blade. Although he put photos of both the knife and sheath in each auction he was selling the knife and sheath separately. I got the sheath but not the knife:

The sheath was the earliest Heiser I had ever seen made for a Hunter. Only these very earliest Heiser sheaths did not have the "edge trimming" around the stone pocket flap and the other unsewn edges including the retainer strap. You can see a few of these in Hunt's books. This one also has oversized painted buttons and is set up for right side carry ("Edge down" carry as Mr. Gaddis would say") which is unusual for a pre 'mid '46 Heiser sheath). In any event I would be hard pressed to find a better fit.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/27/07 05:18 PM

Oops. I forgot about this Model #3-5. Can I show it even though it got all scratched up? Must have happened in the safe when Rick Bowles and David Perdue snuck into the house while I was away. Those pesky fellas. Happened a while ago though.

Regards, Doug

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/27/07 06:41 PM

Ron,
What a great knife and story. So much character in the blade. Thanks for sharing with us.
Kevin

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/27/07 06:49 PM

Doug,
Those merry pranksters. Putting all those scratches on your knife whilst you were gone.
We all feel your pain.
Maybe we could have a scratch and dent thread.
Thanks for sharing.
Kevin

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/28/07 06:14 AM

Grazie Kevin!
------------------------

Doug, Cape Hatteras?

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/28/07 08:02 AM

Edo, That was a picture taken before the lighthouse was moved. Now it is 1600 feet away from the water.

Dubie
Posted by: Don_Hedrick

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/28/07 08:39 AM

Dubie, the reason they moved it was......they read Al Gore`s book and realized that very shortly we are all gonna be up to our butts in salt water, a very good reason to buy stainless!!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/28/07 09:39 AM

Edo, yes, definately the Hatteras Light. One of Rick's favorite subjects.

That's Rick doing a little surf fishing in front of the light.

Regards, Doug
Posted by: escapement

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/28/07 02:43 PM

Here are some of my Model 3s. (Though I must say that after seeing so many incredible examples in this thread, humility nearly kept me from posting).

A #3-7 (01 standard, 2005) and #3-7 (01 standard, late 70s) side-by-side comparison:
(Someone polished the brass on the 70’s knife at some point in the recent past—takes away from the “vintage” look of the piece, alas).

Handle comparison:

Top to bottom, #3-7 (01 standard, 2005), #3-7 (01 standard, 70s), #3-6 (01 NS hilt, late 60s/early 70s), #3-3 ½ (otherwise known as Mini 3, 2002)

The two vintage, side by side:

And the #3-7 01 standard, 2005 all by itself, just because it’s so pretty:

And an endnote: the last pic of the 2005 #3-7 was taken when it was brand-new, 2 ½ years ago—compared to the other pictures, taken this weekend, you can see how quickly (and nicely, to my mind) the brass ages. (I’ll be happy when the brass on the older #3-7 ages again).

Gary

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/01/07 12:41 PM

Dubie asked me to post these.
Dubie pointed out to me that it looks like he is holding Tiger Woods up. Duble, you are a merry prankster.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/01/07 12:55 PM

Gary,
Those are magnificent! I love the handle on the oldest one... the tapered leather from front to back is quite nice, although I would throw any of them out.
~dale

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/01/07 12:57 PM

Hey Dubie, are you sure Tiger isn't a life size cardboard "cut out" from the local 7-11?? JK Dube. Nice pics.
~dale
Posted by: escapement

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/01/07 03:36 PM

Thanks Dale. Yours are great too! So many beautiful #3’s in this thread; Ron’s picture of old #3’s is phenomenal. But the one that really catches my eye is Edo’s, with the antique gold (?) Micarta and finger grips, brass butt plate and thong… wow.

I’ve been thinking about what to order for my boys, now 12 and 13, as an identical set, name etched, to arrive for HS graduation. And I’ve been leaning toward the #3-5, but now I think I have the complete configuration. Just like Edo’s—spectacular, not too big, not too small—a real show piece, but a great user too. Perfect. I’ve always liked the pretty #3-5 in antique gold and finger grips Randall shows on the foldout in the catalog but I’m not sure I would have thought of the brass butt plate—seals the deal.

Thanks, Gary

Ps. That bottom picture of Dubie and Tiger screams for a caption…

Something like, “OK! I’ll sign it! Just take it easy.”
Posted by: TrueBlueBullitt688

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/01/07 04:30 PM

Ok Dubie, now I promise I won't tell anyone you're my neighbor....and I will pay up! Did Tiger like the Randall?
Does he know anything about them?

Neil
Posted by: patrickjames

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/01/07 05:47 PM

Tiger looked pretty excited about Dubie's Randall.
Who's the guy in the back with the orange shirt? He's sure watching things closely.Might be Tomthebomb.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/01/07 06:32 PM

Tiger has known about RMK ever since he moved to Orlando. I always wore one to his shoots. I was telling him about the #3-4".

The guy in the orange shirt is one of the best dive captains on the West Coast of Florida, who was one of my grips on the Nike shoot.

Dubie

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/02/07 06:58 AM

Quote:

Wonderful 3's Edo thanks for sharing them with us.
Kevin

Quote:

Thanks Dale. Yours are great too! So many beautiful #3’s in this thread; Ron’s picture of old #3’s is phenomenal. But the one that really catches my eye is Edo’s, with the antique gold (?) Micarta and finger grips, brass butt plate and thong… wow.

I’ve been thinking about what to order for my boys, now 12 and 13, as an identical set, name etched, to arrive for HS graduation. And I’ve been leaning toward the #3-5, but now I think I have the complete configuration. Just like Edo’s—spectacular, not too big, not too small—a real show piece, but a great user too. Perfect. I’ve always liked the pretty #3-5 in antique gold and finger grips Randall shows on the foldout in the catalog but I’m not sure I would have thought of the brass butt plate—seals the deal.

Thanks, Gary

Ps. That bottom picture of Dubie and Tiger screams for a caption…

Something like, “OK! I’ll sign it! Just take it easy.”

Thank you!!
If you give me your email address I can send better pics.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/10/07 03:17 PM

"Papa bear, Mama bear and Baby bear" Here's a 3 on steroids contrasted with a 3-7 and a 7-5 all from approximately the same era (late 50's / early 60's). The blade is 8 1/2" out of 3/8" stock.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/10/07 03:41 PM

Dubie,
What were you thinking?!?
If Tiger takes a liking to Randall Made Knives the backlog will be 84 months!!!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/10/07 03:43 PM

Dammit Ron!
I refuse to look at those old Randalls!
You know why!!!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/10/07 03:59 PM

Ron, you need that Model #3-4" I was showing to Tiger, to round that set out.

Did the sheath on Papa Bear say 3-8?

Dubie

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/10/07 06:42 PM

Quote:

Dammit Ron!
I refuse to look at those old Randalls!
You know why!!!

Tom: My plan is to ask Rick to scrim a pair of Zacharias fighters on your goggle lenses when you're not looking.

Quote:

Ron, you need that Model #3-4" I was showing to Tiger, to round that set out.Did the sheath on Papa Bear say 3-8? Dubie

Dubie: Damned straight I need it! The Papa Bear sheath just says "Papa Bear"

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/10/07 06:59 PM

Ron, It "JUST" says Papa Bear?

That's amazing. Was it stamped in from Maurice?

I never heard of a personal stamping on the back of a Johnson sheath. Can you show us a picture?

Andy Thornal had the only personal stamp on the front.

Dubie Baxter

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/10/07 09:25 PM

Dubie,

Please don't take me seriously when I put up a smiley face. That knife was made for display and didn't come with a sheath.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/10/07 11:38 PM

Hope springs eternal...Oh well.

Dubie
Posted by: Topos

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/11/07 10:21 AM

Tom:
Your "Everyone has seen this photo before but here it is again!" is as if one has to explain going back to view a Mondrian at the museum. An M1A1 and 1911 A1 , and even if you have to put a Randall on them [grin++], is always satisfying viewing. Thanks.
Posted by: Guido_Bitossi

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/13/07 12:12 PM

Having nothing better of what all you Guys posted here,
I put this "combo":

Greg made it.
Guido

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/13/07 12:20 PM

. . .who said: MONDRIAN . . .

Best
Guido
Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/13/07 01:18 PM

Guido,
Bellisima. Mi piace!
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/13/07 01:36 PM

Great photography Guido !!!!

Did Edo take them?

Dubie

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/13/07 03:57 PM

Dubie...I will tell you if you tell me your pic with Tiger is real or not !( you are so smart we cannot see shadows on tee-shot...)
As a golf playier I'm envying you...
I do not shot pics...I'm the Art Director...
Best
Guido

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/13/07 06:52 PM

Hi Guido,

amazing photo !
May I know the blade length of the pinned stag knife?
Do you know the EDO Award Photo Contest?

Ciao

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/13/07 07:14 PM

Guido, Tiger and I have been working together on about 30 commercials over the years.

I have a pretty impressive collection of original pictures, mpeg's, etc.

Out of respect to him, I have never shown any, until these pics on the Forum.

I didn't know you worked in film. Did you know Federico Fellini?

Dubie Baxter

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/13/07 09:01 PM

Quote:

Might be tomthbomb.

I have more hair.

If the picture is Potoshopped Rick did it. Dubie can't post a photo! I think Dubie is running with a fast crowd and finally let us in on it.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/13/07 09:02 PM

Guido,
That is the most amazing Randall "combo" I have ever seen!
Very nice sir.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/13/07 09:14 PM

Guido..... is that old brown micarta?

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/14/07 09:44 AM

Tunefink: Yes...OBM
EDO: both are 6"
Tom: thanks alot... also same serial #
Dubie: congrats for working with Tiger: his(your) commercial are super... Art director, in my case, is: I give the idea and/or put together stuff & knives to be shooted...
Only that
All the best
Guido

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/14/07 10:03 AM

Guido,

I have to wipe the drool off the keyboard what I look at your photos! Very Impressive!

Kent

RKS #109

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/25/08 10:48 AM

Let's bring the #3 thread back for a new photo.
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/25/08 10:52 AM

Tom,
Is that "white ash" and "cherry red micarta" on those handles? If so..N-I-C-E !! If not..N-I-C-E !! Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/25/08 01:15 PM

Capt. Chris, thanks.

They are Cherry Red Micarta and "Ivory" (not white) Micarta.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/25/08 06:41 PM

I can see it better in the "close-up". I bought a piece of white ash at the Blade show last year. It looks very similar at a distance. "Still"..Nice knives.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/25/08 07:05 PM

Those are beauties Tom.

Kevin

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/25/08 08:12 PM

Since Tom has brought this thread alive again, here's a couple of pictures of my 3-5 with ivory that I've picked up since this thread was first started.

Dan Snyder RKS #5537

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/25/08 08:19 PM

Thanks Dan.
This is why Jesse kept this going.
Posted by: lummox

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/27/08 11:57 AM

Here is an oldie user that I got a few months ago. Worn-out Heiser sheath and pinned stag.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/27/08 12:01 PM

More photos. This knife walked up to my table at a show, so I took it home.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/27/08 12:10 PM

And here is a more recent #3-6 I bought at a show in Virginia.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/27/08 02:21 PM

Nice, well used #3. As much as I like the model 12's I'm starting to have a real appreciation for models 3's and 5's.
Dan Snyder RKS #5537

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/27/08 03:28 PM

Yep, I like #3s and #5s mostly. I posted these photos before on another thread, but I'll put them here for you. It's a 3-7 from about 1961-62. It came from an Antique Mall in Virginia.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/30/09 05:08 PM

New #3 just in from Treeman Knives said to be made from old Westinghouse micarta.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/30/09 05:16 PM

Great addition to the micarta family Tom.

Kevin
Posted by: Warren_Polidori

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/30/09 05:30 PM

Tom,

Must have been a good day! Nice knife, good luck.

Best,
Warren
Posted by: tglassco

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/30/09 06:11 PM

Another Package From The Godfather?

That Ain't No Cannoli !

That's A Keeper

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/31/09 03:12 PM

Here's one I think I've posted a photo of before, but not in the Model 3 thread. It was bought by a gentleman after reading an article about Bo in the December, 1953 issue of True Magazine.

Best,

Posted by: Burnie

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/31/09 04:24 PM

Ron, That sure is a ugly model 3. What say I take it off your hands!!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/31/09 05:02 PM

Here's a very nice 3-7 Crown Stag from the early 60's. The sheath is the worse for wear but the blade is original. Only several insertion scratches are somewhat visible. I just love crown stag knives! I am in need of a stone for this one though.

Best,
Warren

Posted by: Peter_Kaufman

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 02/24/09 12:35 PM

Here is my Model 3 6" and Model 3 Mini that I got from Perry this past fall. I had been seeing a lot of stag pictures so I needed to have some of my own

Peter

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/11/09 03:54 PM

Our good friend, Kent Warnberg, wanted to share some of his knives and sheaths with us. Model 3-5" with beautiful red color stag with fingergrips and a compass in the butt and a croc sheath. Kent has carried this when deer hunting and has used it to dress several deer.
Thank you,
Kevin

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/12/09 09:08 PM

Here is a model 3-5" SS blade,red FG stag, NH and butt plate. Engraved by Ron Skaggs.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/12/09 09:09 PM

handle close-up

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/12/09 09:11 PM

Other side

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/12/09 09:12 PM

Last one.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/12/09 09:18 PM

That's a real beauty Burnie.
Thanks for sharing.
We all appreciate you taking the time to post.

Kevin
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/13/09 12:18 AM

Yep, that's a dandy for sure. My #3 is my newest "favorite" user.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/13/09 09:41 AM

Friends,

This #3 was built by many of you , on "the other build", that CCS ran. I have used it in the field, and it slices through the chest of whitetails with No problem.
I don't carry the crock sheath when I am hunting, I use the original one.

Kent
RKS #109

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/19/09 08:54 PM

Here's a nice #3 that I haven't photographed until now.
The other side of the handle is even more "knarly!"

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 07/20/09 07:40 PM

Tony,
As a matter of fact, while grilling outside a few minutes ago, I cranked up a "Fuente"!! Here's a #3-5" with nice stag!!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 07/20/09 08:08 PM

Nice Model 3's Tony and Capt. Chris.
Thanks for taking the time to post.

Kevin

PS Smoking is hazardous to your health.

Kevin

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 07/20/09 10:07 PM

Cool Randall, Captain!
And I also just finished grilling ... a 4 pound chicken, slathered in olive oil and Tuscan seasonings...
surrounded by cut up corn on the cob bathed in ... what else ...OLIVE OIL and Italian herbs and spices...
ya do this and you'll never eat corn on the cob with butter again!
Anyway ... I skipped the stogie tonight ...had a nice locally hand rolled beauty last night!
Great lookin' grips on that #3-5, by the way!
• KEVIN ... You're very welcome! (Knives can be hazardous to your health too! )
Stay well my Friends,
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 07/21/09 06:10 PM

Tony,
Here's one to grill with. One of Rick's first 10 (S/N008)!!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 07/21/09 06:13 PM

Model #3-6", stainless steel, nickel silver single hilt, custom "black & white" spacers, Westinghouse "Old Yeller" micarta handle and a duralumin butt cap!!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 07/21/09 10:05 PM

Oh Yeah!
That'll do a nice job on a rare rib eye!
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 07/21/09 10:11 PM

Tony,

You mean a "rub eye" for if the Captain ever uses this beauty......

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 07/26/09 06:35 PM

8 1/2" vs. 3 1/2"
Posted by: BOB_TEATES

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 07/26/09 06:44 PM

"Mini MEow"

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/30/09 11:21 AM

In continuing with our Christian Men's Knife project, this is the second knife (of three) in the series, a Model 3-7. For this knife we decided on a Model 3-7 with the following specs for the following reasons:

This is the Good Shepherd knife and if you were to stand this knife on end (if you have a little sense of imagination) it resembles a shepherd's staff.

We have a 7" stainless steel blade because Jesus's life was stainless.

All black spacers because as Christian men we feel sorry for the agony that He went through on the cross for our salvation.

A presentation gray buckeye burl handle to signify the wood of the staff.

Our sheath is black basket weave to represent the crown of thorns on Jesus's head and, as you can see, there is a cross on the sheath.

As with the first knife, the sheath and this knife definitely go hand in hand and in my opinion, without the one, there cannot be the other.

The 23rd Psalm is one of my favorite passages from the Bible. For those of you who don't know it, it reads as follows:

Psalm 23
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

A special thanks to Jim Parker for his excellent suggestion on what the name of the second knife should be. Thank you to all the skilled craftsmen at the shop for turning out such a glorious knife. And Greg Gutcher for using his truly God-given gift for another leather masterpiece. Thank you to Leanna and Gary Clinton for their tireless efforts and for being patient with my numerous phone calls and emails regarding this 3-knife series. I personally feel the knife and sheath are fantastic, and there are other Christian men who will be posting their knives in the near future.

Thank you,
Kevin

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/30/09 11:38 AM

Wow!! What a beauty!!
Posted by: Oldvetnam1

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/30/09 01:42 PM

That is a fantastic knife and sheath combination Kevin.
Posted by: Bill_Jacobs

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/30/09 02:51 PM

Kevin, what a terrific testimony with a beautiful Randall. I had not heard about this project before now. Thanks for sharing, Bill J.
Posted by: Ed_T

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/30/09 04:31 PM

Truly exceptional Kevin.

Where can we find out more about this project ? Is there a thread somewhere on the forum ?

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/30/09 08:09 PM

Kevin,
AN ABSOLUTE BEAUTY!
The black spacers are perfect with the gray buckeye burl.
An Outstanding Randall Knife!
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/30/09 08:24 PM

I saw Captain Chris today at the Lakeland Gun and Knife Show. He showed me the first (?) of the "Mission" knives with handles made from Challenger insulation. Wait till you guys get a load of this one.

Hopefully, Captain will post a photo soon.

Dubie Baxter

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/30/09 08:27 PM

My rarest is the Model #3-4" that is the first knife shown on page 1 of the Model #3 thread.

Only 5 #3-4"'s were ever made, and 3 of them are in permanent collections.

Dubie Baxter

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/31/09 04:30 PM

Kevin,

Well done brother. In these days in takes a real man to stand up and say "Yeah I'm a man of commitment"

I'll be posting mine soon.

See Ya,

Chief

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 02/03/10 06:47 PM

I picked up this 3-5 this weekend from a friend. Options are: Nickle silver hilt and butt cap with exposed nut and wrist thong. Exceptional polished stag, JRB sheath in good condition and two tone grey stone. Knife was worn but never used or sharpened.
Thanks for looking,

Dan Snyder #5537

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 02/04/10 02:04 PM

Nice looking knife Dan. The stag looks great.
Thanks for posting on The Knife Of The Week.

Kevin
Posted by: Tanasie

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/30/10 12:05 AM

...recently added this Model #3-5" to my collection.
Posted by: fabio

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/30/10 07:47 AM

this is my 3/5

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/30/10 08:21 AM

Rex!
What happened to your photo!!?? confused
Fabio,
Very nice #3 ... 5" blade, make a great user! wink

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 03/09/11 03:13 PM

Here's my Model #3-5 'Hunter', that I'd like to add to the thread. smile
Posted by: Rick Magee

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 03/09/11 03:17 PM

Classic! Looks great!
Posted by: Jim459

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/22/11 03:57 PM

Here is a nice 60's Model 3-7 with a beautifully aged and perfect ivory handle. I hope you enjoy seeing it.

- Jim
Posted by: Rick Magee

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/22/11 04:28 PM

Gorgeous!
Posted by: Sidney_Redford

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/22/11 04:57 PM

Jim. How come your Ivory always seems so perfect, and mine always seems to crack? Great looking knife.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/22/11 05:04 PM

Sidney,

I think it has something to do with the lack of a butt cap allowing the ivory to move.

Attached is a photo of the sheath.

- Jim

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/22/11 09:20 PM

Great looking knife, Jim! I have one that's pretty darned close to it:

http://www.knifetalkforums.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=6276&Number=67004#Post67004

Best,

Ron

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/22/11 11:44 PM

Ron,

Your knife could be the twin to mine. Very nice, and a great story of your restoration!!

Here is another, a later model with the same type of handle, but some wild animal took up residence on it!

- Jim
Posted by: Daniele

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/23/11 09:42 AM

This is my first #3-6". Really a great user!!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/23/11 10:04 AM

Jim and Ron,
Those #3s are classic looking beauties!
Daniele ...
A terrific user with great looking stag! And the compass is a nice touch.
BELLISSIMO!!!!!
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/23/11 11:15 AM

Thanks, Jim. I don't remembner seeing that scrimmed piece of yours before. Very impressive!

Daniele: It's hard to beat a 3-6 for an all around user. That's the only model I had for almost 40 years.

Thanks, Tony!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/23/11 12:52 PM

Daniele,

That's a nice Model 3. The classic blade shape and stag make a great combination.

I love mine with stag also.

Best wishes, Jim

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/23/11 07:43 PM

Tony, Ron...
Thanks for your kind comments...
Jim...WOW!!!
Best,

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 12/02/11 12:50 AM

Adding my Model #3-5" "Hunter" to the thread...I supplied the Lignum Vitae for this build.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 12/02/11 10:01 AM

Rex,
That's real nice looking! Beautiful wood!
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 12/02/11 11:47 AM

Tony...thank's for the comment, I guess you can tell I'm fond of Lignum Vitae wood. smile

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 12/02/11 01:12 PM

Rex
Great model 3, how is the balance with the heavy wood, it looks like it would be good

Peter

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 12/02/11 03:22 PM

Peter...as you know LV is a heavy, dense wood so the shop put in a compass and worked the profile of the handle and the balance is great.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/16/12 11:50 AM

Here is my Randall RECON...I wish there was a page on the 'Knife of the week' thread for this Model #3 variant...but it is a Model #3 so I have listed it here. smile
Posted by: Ortega BVT

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/11/12 04:52 PM

Enjoying the first snowfall here in Switzerland... laugh

Posted by: Leatherman

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/11/12 04:53 PM

Nice photo! At first I thought it was carbon steel

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/11/12 06:00 PM

...Cold steel at the time of the photo!!!!
grin

Nice shot!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/11/12 07:50 PM

Glad you received it AOK! You've got some more coming.
Thanks, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Tom Vaught

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/11/12 09:52 PM

You will get a lot of use out of that knife for sure in the Alps. Enjoy!

Tom Vaught
Posted by: Ortega BVT

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/12/12 03:51 PM

Thank you for your comments! smile
Here clean and safe at home... wink

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/12/12 03:53 PM

Very Nice Photo!!!!!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/12/12 05:56 PM

Very nice #3 fighter and the options are a real WOW!!

Pap
Posted by: Gustaf Bäck

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/14/13 07:08 PM

Hi all!

Would - in your opinion - the standard Model 3 5" be a good all around woods knife, not for game prepping chores but for all the other things you need a knife for in the woods?

I realize that the Model 5 is the "Camp & Trail" knife, but I allready have a Model 1 on order and feel that the two are quite close, so I'm looking out for a dealer Hunter to soothe the pain of the five year wait.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/14/13 07:21 PM

Great choice Gustaf. Let us know how you want it optioned and I'm sure it'll turn up! I'll post photos (whenever I get a chance) of one I just picked up in ironwood. I'm sure "others" will join in.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/14/13 07:39 PM

Thank you for your reply Captain!

I'm sure I won't be disapointed, but I feel that it is a good idea to ask around a little among more knowlegeable people - such as yourself - on the forum before I do the deed and go ahead and order one, since I wont have any use for a pure skinning knife.

Now it's bed time in the old world, but I hope you all have a nice evening over there!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/14/13 07:49 PM

Gustaf
The model 28 "Woodsman" is a great choice for an all around woods knife also. I like drop points a lot.

Peter
Posted by: Ironworker

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/14/13 08:27 PM

I agree with Peter.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/14/13 09:31 PM

The model 28 "Woodsman" fits the bill for so many "woods" type tasks. I gave my brother-in law a Woodsman for his birthday. It received a lot of compliments when it was used on the nice buck he got that fall in Michigan.

Randall Made Knives hit a home run with that model.

Tom Vaught

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/15/13 05:02 AM

Yes, I'm considering the Model 28 as well... And it probably would work very good for my intended use, but I want to try the classics first, and that leather handle looks so comfortable!

(I consider the full tang Randalls kind of "a second generation")

The woodsman is definitely on short list for the future though.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/15/13 07:35 AM

Being as this thread is related to the Model #3, I think we should stay on that topic. Photos are encouraged.
Thanks, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Litch

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/15/13 01:47 PM

Sorry, no photo but I'd strongly encourage you to try the 3-5 if you want a "full size" knife.
I had a Woodsman twice and let both go because it just didn't fit my hand. frown
Just my 2ct.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/15/13 04:24 PM

I really appreciate all your input and pictures here friends!

I was under the impression that the different knives had somewhat different grinds and edge geometry, according to their intended use, i.e a skinning knife would have a more acute, but less sturdy edge than a more hard work oriented blade.

Hence my worry that a Model 3 would be to fragile for the job.
Posted by: alan_grombacher

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/15/13 11:57 PM

Gustaf,

I have a #3 6 inch stag that is a great general knife. Mine is great for general work, and has worked well on moose and bear. You can't go wrong with a #3.

Some of the other fellas commented on the #28. I used to have 2 of them, my #2 son has 1 of them now. Mine is part of my flyfishing gear, it is a great get wet knife.

Cheers,

Alan Grombacher
RKS#5531
RKCC-CMI-010

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/16/13 06:12 PM

Thank you, Alan!

A #3 it shall be!

5", Tool steel, and a leather handle with lanyard hole, so nothing spectacular for this user.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/16/13 06:21 PM

Add light finger grips and nickle silver hilt. Still classic but a little more plush.

Pap
Posted by: jubela#4

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 03/21/14 11:07 AM

I just received this model 3 a couple weeks ago straight from the shop after a 4 1/2 year wait.

It was worth the wait!

Posted by: desert.snake

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 03/21/14 12:36 PM

Beautiful knife! Congratulations!
my expectation just begun
Posted by: Oldvetnam1

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 03/21/14 03:36 PM

Looks like a great knife.
Posted by: Jake88

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/19/14 08:38 PM

That is some beautiful scrimshaw on that ivory grip.
Posted by: Jake88

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/19/14 08:47 PM

A 1960's Vietnam 3-7 with the Huey Pilots name engraved
Posted by: Buck Buchanan

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/20/14 12:19 AM

Another way to view them....

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/24/14 03:04 PM

Just arrived...
I love this old fashioned model 3!
Best,
Posted by: Kirko

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/24/14 05:44 PM

classic ! really like it ! the sheath great condition also.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 07/10/15 11:31 AM

#3-5, a very good balance and comfortable in the hand smile

Posted by: Cut it out

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 07/10/15 08:52 PM

Agreed the 3-5 is my most used. ][/url]

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 07/11/15 09:39 PM

For some reason the flash washed out the handle color??? It's like the pic above it really in fact it's the same model 3-5. Lol ][/url]

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 07/11/15 09:45 PM

][/url]

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 07/12/15 04:06 AM

Artificial lighting creates "wonders"

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 07/12/15 01:00 PM

][/url]
Gotta love a model 3!!!!!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 07/12/15 03:24 PM

model 3-7" somehow the guy's at the shop missed with the S stamp. Must have been a Monday morning knife.......:)

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 07/12/15 03:41 PM

Wasn't a Monday!!
They used to tell Scott that when the knife was finished that the "S" was like his stamp of approval
that he could put his initial on the blade to show that it was ready!!!

Heard that he cried when they had to tell him it meant Stainlesscry cry
Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 07/12/15 03:56 PM

Naw, Chief everybody knows they're fakes from Oblakistan. I could probably give a hunnert bucks for them because I collect foreign made knives!!
Posted by: Art DeCamp

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/20/15 11:11 AM

My new "favorite" Randall just arrived yesterday from Gary Clinton.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/20/15 11:20 AM

A real dandy setup, and will be a great user.

Pap
Posted by: JE6245

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/20/15 11:36 AM

Very nice! Did Clinton supply the yellow micarta or did you furnish it? Thanks.
Posted by: Art DeCamp

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/20/15 11:38 AM

I was able to purchase the AGM off eBay a while back, and sent it to Gary when the order was placed.
Posted by: CrazyCajun

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/20/15 02:18 PM

I can see why it is the automatic favorite. Real nice!
Posted by: TAH

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/20/15 02:26 PM

AGM and a tan leather sheath always look great together. Very nice set up!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/20/15 05:32 PM

Ok I'm jealous !!!! Awesome knife!!!! Congrats and use that baby!
Posted by: GHD

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/20/15 07:58 PM

#3's just feel good in your hand, this my 3-6.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/20/15 08:23 PM

][/url]
Posted by: Aurevoir Gopher

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 09/23/15 12:34 PM

After 13 attempts, this is my final 3-5. It is perfect in every way for me. I may buy others to collect or display, but as for a user goes, this is it. First one in Stainless I might add. The blade shape, grind, thickness of spine, thinness of edge, handle shape, overall profile of knife, everything just clicked with me.

I give you #14.

Blade height comparison with #14 (the keeper) on left.

And blade thickness with #14 on the left.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 09/23/15 01:15 PM

Here's mine! "Pickled"!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 09/23/15 01:16 PM

AG,

Randalls definitely vary in shape and profile and that is a particularly nice Hunter. Whoever ground the blade and put it together knew what they were doing.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 09/23/15 03:19 PM

Love the Model 3 "leather" Configuration.

The knife just shouts out: "TAKE ME TO THE WOODS!"

I have a Model #16 Special Fighter (that has my name on it) that told me the same thing when I received it.

Beautiful.

Tom V.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 09/23/15 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
Here's mine! "Pickled"!
Best, Capt. Chris

Ha ha you or the knife.....great stag!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 09/23/15 08:41 PM

The knife...
Capt. Chris
Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 09/23/15 09:46 PM

Awesome gnarly stag on that one, Cap.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 09/24/15 12:35 PM

I have one I will "Pickle" (A different Model) now that I see how it is done. I am a "VISUAL" type of guy.

Tom V.
Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 09/24/15 12:43 PM

New to the game, so I need to ask... Why are we pickling knives??
Posted by: Wally

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 09/24/15 12:51 PM

Goes to show, you can pickle anything!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 09/24/15 01:03 PM

Pickling, or forcing a patina, protects the surface of the blade to a degree and makes it more resistant to moisture and therefore does not rust at the sight of water.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 09/24/15 01:06 PM

Is this recommended more for the O-1 steel as opposed to stainless? ?
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 09/24/15 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: RamKingJC

Yes...

I've always liked the look of the Capt's. Model 3 that was pickled. I need to do that to one someday. cool

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 09/24/15 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: RamKingJC

It would be very difficult to force a patina on stainless. After all, it stains "less". smile

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 09/29/15 09:16 PM

Found an oldie but Goodie
Posted by: Billy Poyner

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 09/29/15 10:34 PM

Hope yall like this pair of 3's

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 09/29/15 10:37 PM

Is that a ward gay handle on the left 1?
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 09/30/15 11:06 AM

Billy,
What's not to like!!!
:-)Rocky

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 09/30/15 07:50 PM

a craving lol .....more like a hunger!!!
very nice my favorite handle.
Don't know where it is now but I paid through the nose for this one!!!
Posted by: Tattoo Bill

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 09/30/15 08:39 PM

Damn...........I REALLY like that Sas!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/01/15 09:25 AM

Hey everybody,
Billy has asked me to delete some of his posts, as he had "timed-out" from being able to do himself. Gladly Brother: No sweat!
With regard to the Ward Gay handle shape on Billy's Model #3 (previous photos posted), some explanation is needed. If you look closely at the 2 knives, you will notice the ivorite is of different stock. The "newer", i.e.: "current" ivorite is shown on the left. It is ever-so-slightly "lighter" than the other stuff the shop used to offer.
Ward Gay handles are unavailable at this time. Back in the day they were available on certain models. Model #20's & #21's were often ordered in this handle shape. (I miss them) I will start a thread on Ward Gay handles, if you would all care to contribute...or , if nothing else, follow it. I am sure there will be a few examples turn up, knowing the extent of collectors (and collections) associated with this forum!
The Model #3 that Billy "purchased" from me in 2013 was shaped earlier than the purchase date. Billy, quite simply, did not know these facts and hence has asked me to revise posts just to keep the record straight.
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris
PS: I am slammed, getting ready to load and head out to Birmingham, Al. early in the morning for the AGCA (Alabama Gun Collectors Assoc.) show this weekend. I will grab a few example of Ward Gay handles and shoot some photos for the thread and get it started upon my return...CCS

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/01/15 09:31 AM

Buy me something Capt! lol
Posted by: Billy Poyner

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/01/15 09:46 AM

Thanks Brother

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/01/15 11:04 AM

Hope you have a great show Cap! I look forward to seeing you in Orlando in November, I am not thrilled about missing next weeks show! mad

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/01/15 12:28 PM

Hope thet little(?) offshore wind doesn't throw you for a loop in Alabamaland this weekend.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/01/15 01:52 PM

I'd like to see some model 21's with a ward gay handle.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/01/15 02:24 PM

Capt. That would be great if you could create a thread on those handles Ward Gay ...... Just looked him up and he was quite a guy and his son Kirk runs everything now

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/01/15 09:11 PM

Yeah wish I had it back........just the sheath left.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/06/15 06:27 PM

Got her tonight afterwork. Now I regret not taking the new 23 I have 😁 ][/url]

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/06/15 06:56 PM

Very nice !

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/06/15 09:05 PM

][/url]

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/18/15 05:54 PM

][/url]

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/18/15 05:55 PM

][/url]

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/20/15 12:34 AM

What???? After all that, you leave that beautiful 23 at home?

At least that is a nice looking 3.

What's with that nice pricey Estwing hatchet. Don't you know there are $10 ones out there that would totally suffice.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/20/15 05:59 AM

$10 hatchets are ALLLL purpose! !!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/21/15 04:34 PM

Lol. I know right!!!! The 23 is the first knife I been reluctant to use. It is just amazingly beuatifu....l but I promise I will use it. Anyway long live the 3!!!!!
Posted by: dld

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/28/15 06:03 PM

My #3-5 I bought in 1986

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/28/15 09:53 PM

Perfect. Now all you need is Model 5 and you will have the "Big 3" of game users, IMHO.
Pap
Posted by: Fairbairn

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/31/15 09:07 PM

That's a beauty! I asked the Randall shop if they would make one just like it, and they referred me to their 4F fighter. I wanted a model,three, with double guard, and sharpened top edge, but I guess this is not a request that they can accommodate.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/31/15 09:10 PM

Model #3 can, indeed, be ordered with "TB" (Top Bevel sharpened). They can also be ordered with a double hilt.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/31/15 09:36 PM

Isn't that the configuration that a 'Recon' is based on ?
Less the etching of course !!
Posted by: Hayst

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/16/16 08:37 AM

Late 60's era 3-6 wearing an early 60's Heiser sheath listed elsewhere in these fora, included here as a courtesy to those who wish to reference Randall model 3's.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/16/16 03:45 PM

That sheath!!!
Posted by: crutchtip

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/16/16 08:20 PM

can you post some better photos of the knife so we can see the blade and the rear of the sheath? What stone is in the pouch?

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/17/16 03:09 AM

Whether by design or happenstance the knife exhibits a balance that is perfect, namely directly beneath the two rearmost spacers...held blade down or on either side.

The knife simply feels light and easy to handle and as such is my using knife.

The stone came with the sheath and has not been touched by a blade, pretty much pristine as was the sheath, of interest is the sheath had been soaked in an oil when produced and when I soaked the sheath in warm water to fit the knife it dried whilst still holding the oil and shape.
And the smell is one I have not smelt on leather since I was a lad, as the current leather produced simply does not smell the same.
Posted by: Ronnie

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/17/16 03:23 AM

Do you think that sheath may be a bit earlier than the early 60's?
Just asking.
Btw that is a beautiful rig. Great knife and great sheath.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/17/16 03:39 AM

I do not think so Ron, I tend toward 61-62 at the last of the Heiser run.

The knife and sheath seem to be made for each other, a much nicer fit than the current Sullivans.

Just luck of the draw.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/17/16 04:34 AM

Well they are both beauties. You did good.
Thanks.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/17/16 08:13 AM

Hayst,

FYI here is a 3-6 that was made the same time as your sheath (Very early 60's). Note the big difference in choil cuts vs your late 60's knife:

Here are a few more sheaths with those same snaps:

One of the above sheaths has the Heiser mark. The other is not marked at all:

Here is that same snap on a Heiser cartridge carrier:

It was pretty close to a decade after the first brown button outage in the very early 50's that it happened a second time.

Ron

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/17/16 09:07 AM

Yes, I figured the centre awl hole combined with the plain steel button cemented the 61-62 dating.

Next I will look for a stag 7-4 with a Heiser sheath, not a pinned one though.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/17/16 09:50 AM

Actually earlier than 61-62. more like 59-60

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/17/16 10:00 AM

I shall take your word for it, you fellows are better educated on the subject than I.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/17/16 10:44 AM

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/17/16 03:37 PM

Ron I'm sure you have explained the unmarked sheath somewhere before but can you explain that one to me please.
Thanks.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/17/16 04:05 PM

It just "happened" sometimes, Ronnie. I had a Circa 1948 4-7 that came with a Heiser sheath with no markings. No rhyme or reason as far as I know.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/17/16 04:16 PM

Gotcha....never knew that.
Thanks for the info.
Ronnie

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/18/16 08:22 AM

I'm confused. Hayst is fairly confident that the knife and sheath are original to eachother, yet the knife and sheath were made nearly a decade apart?

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/18/16 09:05 AM

Hi Tom,

You may have missed his comment on the previous page:

Originally Posted By: Hayst
Late 60's era 3-6 wearing an early 60's Heiser sheath listed elsewhere in these fora, included here as a courtesy to those who wish to reference Randall model 3's.

Best,

Ron

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/18/16 09:37 AM

Originally Posted By: TAH
I'm confused. Hayst is fairly confident that the knife and sheath are original to eachother, yet the knife and sheath were made nearly a decade apart?

No, they are not, I purchased them separately.

Link to thread.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/19/16 09:03 AM

Thanks Ron. Reading too fast.

Hayst, I remember your thread now. Thanks!
Posted by: willhunt

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 02/25/16 10:40 PM

Here is my one and only Model 3. And I can see why it's one of the most popular Randalls. Carbon, stag, and brass. Just the way I like em...

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 02/26/16 02:02 AM

Really nice stag. I see why you like it.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 02/26/16 08:26 AM

Another beautiful photo and knife.
Posted by: Whiteman

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 02/27/16 03:41 PM

Love the red stag on this 3-7

Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 02/27/16 03:54 PM

That one is nearly flawless Randy, sweet.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 02/27/16 04:03 PM

Thanks..
Wish I had a truck load of that stag.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 02/27/16 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Whiteman
Thanks..
Wish I had a truck load of that stag.

Here you go Randy. You got 2 more wishes, use wisely.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 02/27/16 06:11 PM

I used to have one of the suppliers at blade bring in boxes for me to pick thru, crown & large real rough exterior pieces.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/07/16 06:39 PM

Here is the latest addition to my small collection. A model 3-7 with beautiful stag finger-grooved handle.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/07/16 06:46 PM

Nice model 3 and I would take that load of stag if it comes with the truck.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/07/16 06:50 PM

That's a dandy early 70's knife. Grips make a knife.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/07/16 08:46 PM

Very nice old #3, great stag, lots of character. Nice find !
Posted by: Wally

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/07/16 09:09 PM

#s 3 and 4 are starting to grow on me!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/22/16 07:06 PM

RECON #65

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/03/16 07:58 PM

3-5 Daytona bike week 50th anniversary 1991. SS, squared ns,stag compass.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 10/04/16 10:12 AM

Damn, using a Randall for a bike week souvenir, how very classy.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/13/17 06:51 AM

Here is a new one for me. A 3-5 with some great stag, and a lot of patina. The spacer stack is a little odd on it I thought. Well, they are hand-made.

Randall-3-6-a by Bill Singer, on Flickr

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/13/17 07:12 AM

There's an additional white spacer. Great popcorn stag, very nice.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/14/17 07:49 PM

VERY cool Will!!!
After what I witnessed today a #3-5" has shot ti the top of my wish list!!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/14/17 07:54 PM

And you are a witness to? Can't wait to hear,

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/14/17 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: W Polidori
And you are a witness to? Can't wait to hear,

In due time bro!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/14/17 08:42 PM

Oh I see you've set the bait.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/15/17 09:51 AM

He's seeding the mine!!!! HMMM....They were in the woods... HMMM??
Posted by: Boomer51

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/15/17 12:05 PM

[quote=willhunt] Here is a new one for me. A 3-5 with some great stag, and a lot of patina. The spacer stack is a little odd on it I thought. Well, they are hand-made.

Great stag on that knife and I hope to get set up to take photos like that - one of my goals this year.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/08/17 12:56 AM

My latest Model 3. A 3-6 with finger-grooved pinned stag, and nickel silver guard.

Randall-3-finger-1 by Bill SingerRandall-3-finger-2 by Bill SingerRandall-3-finger-4 by Bill SingerRandall-3-finger-3 by Bill SingerRandall-3-finger-5 by Bill Singer

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/10/17 09:07 AM

Another beauty, Will.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/17/17 10:00 PM

My latest, a 3-7, just love the honey color of the gnarly stag.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/18/17 04:03 AM

That's a honey alright George.
Posted by: Anderson

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 12/13/17 08:55 AM

This one is my Model 3-7" with #6 grind.
I think this sheath is a newer then the knife.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/12/18 02:04 AM

Please tell us more about that Bad boy!
Posted by: Sharpi

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/12/18 05:11 PM

Will
That knife Will Hunt
Love that pinned stag and finger groves
wish this one was
Sharpi
Posted by: Llasi

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/19/18 01:32 PM

After five years of waiting, today has arrived. #3-7.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/19/18 02:05 PM

Awsome!!

Pap

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/19/18 04:08 PM

Got curves? smile

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/19/18 05:01 PM

Very nice
Let us know how it cuts
Sharpi

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 01/19/18 05:05 PM

Love amber and really dark stag. Worth the wait IMO, congrats and use it well.
Posted by: Attila Mezzini

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 02/01/18 09:30 AM

one of my favorite RMK models.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 02/01/18 09:54 PM

Sexy!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/15/18 10:06 PM

Here is a Model 3-5 fighter, with nickel silver double hilt, and lovely pinned stag. And a very cool compass that I found in my Dads stuff.

Posted by: Shoot870p

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/16/18 09:37 AM

How old is that 3-5 that was your dads? Sure looks good!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/16/18 10:04 AM

I believe that is a 6"
Posted by: sgteldridge

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 07/07/18 02:08 PM

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 07/07/18 07:49 PM

Nice Model 3, and it will serve you well.

Pap

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/15/18 11:42 PM

Here are a pair of Model 3-6's with the low "S". One in stag, and the other with finger-grooved ivory, and a #6 grind.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/15/18 11:54 PM

Not fair to show these. Still wonder why you can't get a #6 grind on a Model 3 but you can on a Model 7. Those are 2 beauties.

Pap

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/16/18 12:00 AM

Thank you pappy.
Posted by: rodbrown

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/16/18 08:30 AM

Willhunt

Superb!! Low S RMK are the best.
Posted by: Dirty_Water

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/16/18 02:02 PM

Not sure where your info but I know a guy and he says you can get a 3-6 with the #6 grind...

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/16/18 02:12 PM

So I can order a Model 3-6 with a #6 grind?

Pap
Posted by: Dirty_Water

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/16/18 04:41 PM

Yes, 3-6, 3-7,4-6, and 4-7 as a chargeable option

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/16/18 04:53 PM

Many thanks for that clarification.

Pap

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/16/18 05:39 PM

That #3 with a 6 grind would be a heck of a slicer. If you just used it on animals and perhaps very soft wood from time to time it would be the way to go!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/16/18 06:43 PM

Any available pic's of said super slicer??

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/16/18 07:56 PM

I always thought that a Model 3-6" with a #6 grind, would be a top hunting knife. I have the 9" Model 6 and use it for all my large cuts, so the 6" version would be perfect for most game applications. Expect my order pretty soon. Now if it was available with a pouch sheath.....

Pap

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/16/18 08:59 PM

Steve there is one in the last page, notice the two knives one with the 6 grind.

Mike you can find a good sheath maker to make you one!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/16/18 09:58 PM

Of course, the best pouch sheath maker for a Randall, would be from the current Randall sheath maker. That being said, there are a number of prominent makers that could do a good job. If the knife is a user, the sheath is unimportant as a collectable so all depends on your personal desires.
Pap
Posted by: jcampknife

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/26/18 12:20 PM

Bought this for my wife's camping/outdoor wife. Great mixture of function and beauty in my opinion. Has a compass in the end of the handle as well.

Posted by: Gordon

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/29/19 03:19 PM

Chief that's in my opinion a perfect setup.
Stunning in appearance but also 100% ready to go to work.
I"m still amazed how versatile the #3 is.
I'm considering a similar setup on a Model 4,but this knife may have changed my mind.

Gordon.
Posted by: Gordon

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/29/19 03:24 PM

Sorry Chief,I was reffering to your knife on page 1.
Gordon
Posted by: spark42

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/29/19 04:39 PM

Very nice JC. Your wife should be a happy camper.

Dennis

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 04/29/19 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Gordon
Sorry Chief,I was reffering to your knife on page 1.
Gordon

Thanks, Gordon
Posted by: nate-dogg

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 06/03/19 02:41 PM

My most recent Randall. #3-6"

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 06/04/19 09:53 AM

Very nice! Love that stag and the low is cool.
Posted by: Duke

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 09/19/19 04:39 PM

Well I've never owned a #3-6" or any #3 of any type so this one feels pretty special. But all my Randalls feel pretty special. This one came about after many phone conversations with the Captain, as I feel certain he'd agree, BUT ain't it fun talking about Randalls?? Sorry about the pics but I took some today as soon as I unwrapped it and there's a little glare on the beautiful #6 grind that I do like so much. I don't believe there are many of these pictured on this thread (probably wrong). Thanks Capt. Chris.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 09/19/19 04:55 PM

Wow, a #3 with a #6 grind, far out.

Pap
Posted by: Shoot870p

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 09/20/19 08:45 AM

Nice catch, a Duke.
Walker

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/26/20 09:32 PM

From our 2019 bear season and deer season. No luck shooting a bear but did shoot some nice pics

https://i.imgur.com/dO1Zkz7.

https://i.imgur.com/R5e6ybo.jpg

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/26/20 09:44 PM

https://i.imgur.com/yu8vaiP.jpg

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/27/20 05:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Cut it out
From our 2019 bear season and deer season. No luck shooting a bear but did shoot some nice pics

Here is one of your pictures:

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/27/20 09:13 AM

Thanks. I know it’s my pic but man that’s sexy smile
Posted by: mic214

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/27/20 09:21 AM

@Cut it out,

You have some great knives and you take awesome pics!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 05/27/20 03:30 PM

Thanks. I just use my phone to take pics. No apps or anything just whatever it comes with
Posted by: Salty Cracker

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 06/16/20 07:40 PM

Just received this 3-7 in fighter configuration today. SS, FC, BM, BPH, and properly sharpened around the point and top to back cut if needed. Sorry about the photo, I'm using a tablet, they never open.

Hope all y'all are good and healthy.

John

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 06/16/20 07:43 PM

One more of the 3-7.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 06/17/20 06:19 AM

Salty's Model 3, pretty cool. Don't know that I've ever seen a 3 with a FCH, but I like it. Nice touch...

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 06/17/20 08:53 AM

@Michael - Thanks for opening the photo and the comment!

Hope all have a good day!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/10/20 05:43 PM

Here is a model 3 with gorgeous crown stag.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/10/20 05:50 PM

And here is another model 3-6 with that pretty pinned stag that I love so much.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/11/20 10:36 PM

Nice pair
They Will Hunt
Sharpi

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 08/12/20 08:23 PM

Willhunt,

Really impressed with your photography.

If you're interested in sharing your technique, add it in my thread I started in the Picture Gallery, "How To Improve Your Knife Photos."

The guiding comments are on the first page of the thread.
Posted by: eLarry

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 06/11/21 12:59 PM

Willhunt, those are amazing!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 06/11/21 01:03 PM

Never seen this color green. Not sure if this is shop or CW micarta, but it makes me happy.
Posted by: Holzinger258

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 06/11/21 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: eLarry
Never seen this color green. Not sure if this is shop or CW micarta, but it makes me happy.

looks more like G10 in the old tenite color

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 06/11/21 06:10 PM

I thought it was micarta because of the grain. I have some Forest Green G-10 spacers that I put side by side. That's it! Thanks Cut-In-Run for the feedback.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 06/11/21 06:23 PM

Green tenite G-10 or more precisely, "Ranger Green" from the folks I order from. It is current stuff and has been around for about 10 years or so...give or take.
Hope this helps,
Stay Sharp, Capt. Chris
PS: Here's a Model #10 in Ranger Green G-10...
CCS

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 06/19/21 03:14 AM

How neat is that !

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 06/23/21 12:05 AM

My Model 3-5"..Liam Hoffman 'Trapper' hatchet and a very old steel trap.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/06/21 09:00 PM

Great pic! My 3-5 is very similar and love that knife. Will be taking it on its annual bear hunt in a week and a half! Just touched up the edge today preparing it for the trip.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/06/21 09:06 PM

See if this works. Almost forgot how to post pics been so long since I been lurking around these parts.
Posted by: spark42

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/07/21 12:47 AM

Nice shot Cut.

Dennis

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/07/21 09:34 AM

The 3-5 is a awesome knife!!!

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/07/21 09:35 AM

Again if I posted these before sorry. I’m getting old I guess and I’m getting excited to take them out soon for our bear season after thanksgiving I will have new pics from this seasons bear hunt in a few weeks

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 02/19/23 02:26 PM

Nobody's home? This is a great thread to breathe some life back into.
Stay Sharp, Capt. Chris
PS: 7 spacer #3-5" in Delrin....CCS
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 02/19/23 03:37 PM

Capt.....you must be rearranging your sock drawer!!!

:-)ROcky

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 02/19/23 03:57 PM

Little bigger...but "Yeah"!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 02/19/23 04:06 PM

Cut It:
This is "exactly" what I meant questioning: "What about everything else"? Nothin' finer than well-worn leather! Here's my #3-6,leathered-up and re-finished by the shop in the early 90's.
Best, Capt. Chris
"PS" M. Johnson, tight, baby dot, proper hone...CCS

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 02/23/23 06:25 PM

A 3-7 with more of my favorite pinned stag.

Re: Knife of the Week Model 3 !!! - 11/15/23 02:58 PM

Terrific !! 👏