Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2

Posted by: vklough46

Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 08:33 AM

Thanks to all that participated in week one.

From a 1944 Randall Made Knives catalog:
"Fighting Stiletto: ...Made in 7 and 8 inch blade lengths, (1-1 1/4 inches wide). This is a regular type Dagger, Dirk or Stilleto, thought by many to be the best type for actual combat; not as desirable as the 'All Purpose' for the other uses of a knife. Price $21.50 (complete with sheath, wrist thong, and manual)."
(Randall Made Knives: the History of the Man and the Blades, by Robert L. Gaddis, pg. 96)

Paraphrasing from the same book, pp. 70-71:
Around 1943 the American fighting man had been introduced to the British combat knife. Many American soldiers wanted a knife like the British soldiers carried. As a result, Mr. Randall began to receive inquiries about making a similar knife. He examined a Fairbairn-Sykes and realized that it was not designed to be a very good all-around combat knife. He felt that the blade was especially weak and said to himself, "I'll make the GIs one that's strong and has got enough of a rounded point that it will be good for slashing as well as thrusting."

The Randall Stiletto turned out to be very popular. Mr. Randall offered it in the same blade lengths as his Fighter.

Lady and Gentlemen may we please see some Model 2's.

Thanks, Kevin
Posted by: crutchtip

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 09:48 AM

Kevin asked that I post a few photos. First a few 2-5's.
This one in a Johnson "high ride" sheath.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 09:53 AM

This one in a waxed & riveted Johnson sheath. The blade has oil on it in case you wondered why it looked odd.

Posted by: RKS3500

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 09:54 AM

Not a very early one but nice still the same...

Rob [image]http://ran2-7b4[/image]

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 10:00 AM

"SS" stamped w/ compass

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 10:13 AM

flip side...
Posted by: tunefink

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 11:08 AM

Old Brown Micarta, 7 Spacers, SS Stamp

Old Black Micarta, 7 Spacers, Separate S, Riveted Sheath

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 12:26 PM

Just learning to open mine up with the post [image]C:\Documents and Settings\Robert\My Documents\My Pictures\ebay ready\ran2-7b4.jpg[/image]
Posted by: Sheldon_Wickersham

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 12:35 PM

Nice knives guys, but, I've just gotta ask...are the 'Model of the Week' threads supposed to be an informative series of knife examples whereby the new collector learns to differientiate knives by era according to specific characteristics - or, is it just intended to be a 'see my pretty knife' thread?

To wit: Joe or Mitchell could mention something unusual about their knives such as the 'Double S' blade stamp, indicating that that particular blade stamping method was introduced in 1963, phased out by early 1964, with residual blade stock exhausted over the course of the next several years - or, that the 'Separate S' blade stamp, introduced in 1967, when seen with a 'Seven Spacer' black Micarta handle indicates a production era ending in 1972...

Just seems to me that that type of information might be of additional interest to the readers here, especially if they were to refer to these threads at a later date - also, if a person was uncertain of when their particular knife was made, of the type covered in each 'Model of the Week' thread, they could ask here, and hopefully be assisted in kind...

Respectfully submitted...
Posted by: escapement

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 12:45 PM

Model #2-8, 00’s, stainless steel, maroon Micarta handle, ns forward curved hilt, ns collar, ns butt, wrist thong.

Flipside:

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 12:50 PM

Good point Sheldon.
When I started the Knife of the Week threads I did so in order to learn more about each specific model. If each poster could take time to give us some specifics about their knife it would be a great learning experience.
Although I do enjoy looking at the pretty knives too.
Thanks, Kevin

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 02:31 PM

Quote:

To wit: Joe or Mitchell could mention something unusual about their knives such as the 'Double S' blade stamp, indicating that that particular blade stamping method was introduced in 1963, phased out by early 1964, with residual blade stock exhausted over the course of the next several years - or, that the 'Separate S' blade stamp, introduced in 1967, when seen with a 'Seven Spacer' black Micarta handle indicates a production era ending in 1972...

Respectfully submitted...

Yep, should have posted more information.

The first 2-5 in the high ride sheath is early 70's.

Second 2-5 in the riveted sheath is late 60's early 70's.

Third knife with the "SS" stamp is circa 1963/64. I don't believe this stamping was used more than 6-8 months at the most based on the number out there plus additional traits of existing examples. It was a very short window.

I will comment on Tune's 2-7 separate "S". The separate "S" superseded the low "S" stamping which was being used from 1964 into 1965 with a few examples possibly sometime in 1966. These later examples were most probably existing stampings. The low "S" stamping did not last more than a year or so, maybe 16 months at best. This information is based on extensive research by myself and input from noted collectors.

According to Pete Hamilton, the logo "S" stamp was delivered to RMK during the mid to latter part of 1969. From what I have gathered from numbers of knives so stamped, I agree. It is not uncommon however, to get a separate "S" stamped blade well into the 70's.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 02:42 PM

Joe,
Thanks for posting the information. I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge for this thread.
Kevin
Posted by: tomthbomb

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 02:48 PM

There are some old Randall's I can get into. My first Randall Made Knife was/is a #2.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 02:59 PM

Well tom, perhaps you can get into this one in mint condition made for a doctor. Close up shows original polish from the era, circa 1950. Gold embossed initials on the sheath. He also had the "same" knife made in a 9" model.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 03:13 PM

C/T, as hardheaded as I am you are winning me over.
That is fantastic!
Posted by: BigJim

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 04:57 PM

Quote:

That is fantastic!

Preach It Brother Crutch,Preach It! Can I get an Amen...
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!
Posted by: Cabinet_Man

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 05:22 PM

Quote:

I can see it now, a headline on the front page of the Dallas Observer, Tomthbomb Purchases First Old Randall! ... he has seen the LIGHT!

Good night Cructh, you have some unbelieveable knives!!! You never seem to run out of pics, and they aren't just old knives, but spectacular ones too. Rob's old #2 had me salivating, and Tune's pics are never disappointing to put it mildly. I remember back before I ever made my first post, looking and reading, looking some more. I remember seeing pics like that and couldn't believe one person could find so many nice knives. Very impressive guys.

Here's a pic of a current or new model as I have not had the pleasure of owning an older #2 myself.
~dale

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 06:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I can see it now, a headline on the front page of the Dallas Observer, Tomthbomb Purchases First Old Randall! ... he has seen the LIGHT!

Don't hold your breath Dale. I'm not selling the farm to buy a bunch of old Randall Made Knives yet.

BTW, the daily newspaper in "Big D" is "The Dallas Morning News". The "Dallas Observer" is the alternative free paper distributed in places I do not frequent. Just thought you might want to know.
Posted by: Holzinger258

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 07:36 PM

Ivory and micarta

-Steve

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 08:09 PM

Steve,
Nice knives and beautiful picture!

Quote:

BTW, the daily newspaper in "Big D" is "The Dallas Morning News". The "Dallas Observer" is the alternative free paper distributed in places I do not frequent. Just thought you might want to know.
--------------------
Tom Welch

Tom, V-E-R-Y interetsing, very intersting... I am gathering info with every post.-ha! Just kidding.

When is your birthday? I looked in the info with your name registered here but didn't see it listed.
~dale
Posted by: tglassco

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 08:37 PM

Model #2, 7" An example of current production.

With the SS blade, brass hardware, FC Hilt, Spacers, Butt Cap and stag handle I think this is 5 option package. Not counting the sheath which is black.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 08:38 PM

A photo of the handle.

Posted by: Rick_Bowles

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 08:40 PM

Here's a pair of model #2-4 inch "Chick Randalls". Both are in ivory. The #2 on the right features Doug's pure silver and the #2 on the left has been engraved by David Perdue. The Hummingbird scene is one of only two that I've ever done that goes completely around the handle.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 08:57 PM

I really don't know much about them.... I just like shiney things......

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 09:33 PM

Quote:

When is your birthday?
~dale

Actually next week! You can send me a card!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 09:37 PM

Quote:

Model #2, 7" An example of current production.
With the SS blade, brass hardware, FC Hilt, Spacers, Butt Cap and stag handle I think this is 5 option package. Not counting the sheath which is black.

Tom,
Just about when I am ready to sell my collection of new
Randall Made Knives you show that one!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 09:41 PM

Quote:

Here's a pair of model #2-4 inch "Chick Randalls".

Rick,
Just when I thought I was too old to be rummaging around in my wife's lingerie drawer you post that!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 10:09 PM

Quote:

V-E-R-Y interetsing, very intersting... I am gathering info with every post.-ha! Just kidding.

Hahahaha...Now That's Funny!!!!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 10:11 PM

Quote:

Ivory and micarta

As Always Steve, Very Cool Knives!
Posted by: BoBlade

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/14/07 10:19 PM

Circa 1943 6 3/4" stiletto. Wrist thong link. Period sheath. Not Heiser, but similar quality. "Three thick two thin" spacer arrangement. Note stamp placement:

Mid to late 50's 2-8 pinned stag:

Photos courtesy of Mr. Wickersham's photographer Jim McDonald
Posted by: Hugh_Clark

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 12:41 AM

Model 2-8 Stainless with Ivory handle and NS Fittings, recent mfg, Colt SAA 45 cal 1906 mfg:

Model 2-5, 7 spacers, Ivory handle, NS fittings, 1950's mfg, Remington Derringer 41 RF 1875 mfg:

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 02:48 AM

Quote:

--------------------
Tom
RKS #5553

Tom,
That is one of the nicest new model 2's I've ever seen!

Rick's scrim all the way around the handle is something I've never seen before... great idea, I love it!

Hugh, those pics should be in the photo contest, nice knives and nice props.

Ron's pics are like crutchtip's, always a pleasure and keeps you wondering what's next.

Kevin, this thread is definitely a great idea. If these first two weeks are any indication of how well this is going to run, I very much look forward to the weeks to come.
~dale

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 03:02 AM

Hugh,

Your pictures need to be in the October/November Photo contest in the Gallery. Nice work.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 05:36 AM

Thanks to all for sharing their knives and information with us.
We have seen some real beauties thus far.
Kevin

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 06:30 AM

Nice pics Hugh, is the cylinder pin on your SAA a replacement?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 07:41 AM

Here's a cross-dressing model #2-8. Needless to say the only part of this knife that originated at the shop is the blade and it's been satin hand finished. This piece started as a model #2 with leather and brass back in the early 90s.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 08:12 AM

Mid 60's 2-8 with shop supplied Belgian Congo ivory. Dheck and crack free I might add.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 10:07 AM

Rick,
Yes, I have an extra 45 Auto cylinder for this gun. The elongated head on the cyl pin makes it the correct length so that when it is released and pulled forward the ejector rod head acts as a stop so that it clears the cylinder for removal, but the pin stays in the gun. The only drawback is that to completely remove the pin, the ejector housing has to be removed.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 10:18 AM

That's kinda cool Hugh. Do you have to remove the cylinder and use half moon clips?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 10:53 AM

Rick,
No, the 45 Auto's seat on the case mouth so I can use the ejector rod, the cylinder is also rebated for 45 AR rims so that I can shoot them in it too.
Posted by: alan_grombacher

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 11:29 AM

Hey Guys,

Some really great looking #2s on this thread. Especially Boblades 1943 beauty.

My #2 question is: Does anyone have a wide bladed #2? How common were they? Hunt's book has one.

Cheers,

Alan
RKS#5531

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 12:40 PM

Not many wide blade stillettos were made.

I'll throw one more up there. Try and guess the lengths of these two. The top knife is a mid 40's and the bottom is mid/late 60's. I know sheaths would help, but give it a shot.

Posted by: red_river

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 12:41 PM

My 2-4.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 12:57 PM

Like the convenience store. 7/11

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 01:02 PM

You have seen this one before?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 02:03 PM

Hey Crutch, Actually never have seen them before. I have been looking at a lot of # 2's lately since I got my first one a couple of weeks ago and after fondling my new # 2, 7" I just reacted and thought yours was a 7" model and from there the larger one looked like 11". I love the big one. That is some blade.
Posted by: EDO

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 02:17 PM

Great knives!!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 03:09 PM

Quote:

Try and guess the lengths of these two. The top knife is a mid 40's and the bottom is mid/late 60's. I know sheaths would help, but give it a shot.

Crutch,
Just going by the handle, I guess 6" and 9". Is that close?
~dale

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 03:33 PM

Tom got it right, a 2-7 and a 2-11 1/8". Interesting stories accompany both knives.

The 2-7 was carried by a paratrooper with the 3rd of the 506th 101st ABN "Shock Force" in Viet Nam. Comes in a riveted sheath.

The 2-11 is name etched as well as logo stamped on both sides of the blade. It was carried by a decorated man that retired as a Lt. Colonel after enlisting June 2, 1942 and retiring Dec 31, 1965. Served in the European African-Middle Eastern Campaign during WWII.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 04:09 PM

Now that's provenance. I wish they could talk.
Posted by: BigJim

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 04:15 PM

Guys,
Wonderful Knives.The Stories They could tell..
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 04:42 PM

NO.2-5 "Old Yeller" and a Gary Randall made minature with Ivory, 3 3/4" blade and 7" overall. Due to the 5 spacer "4 thin, 1 thick blue" spacer configuration and the smooth button rough back sheath I believe them both to be early '70's knives.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 06:14 PM

My favorite #2 AND my favorite Sullivan sheath.

Posted by: 7033grip

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 06:18 PM

Quote:

Dadgum tom, those new ones are pretty doggone nice !!!!

Dubie

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 06:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dadgum tom, those new ones are pretty doggone nice !!!!

Dubie

Dubie,

How new do you think they are?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 06:24 PM

Anything made later than 1976 is "brand new".

Dubie

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 06:29 PM

Quote:

NO.2-5 "Old Yeller" and a Gary Randall made minature with Ivory, 3 3/4" blade and 7" overall. Due to the 5 spacer "4 thin, 1 thick blue" spacer configuration and the smooth button rough back sheath I believe them both to be early '70's knives.

Actually Hugh, the earliest those knives would be are circa late 1977. Very well could be made into the early 80's.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 06:41 PM

Now you are inflicting some real pain. Awesome package.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 06:43 PM

Thanks, Crutchtip, I'll make a note of it. According to Dubie, then, they must be "brand new"!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 07:09 PM

Quote:

According to Dubie, then, they must be "brand new"!

All right!
Another "New Randall" convert!
Posted by: Stephen RKS 5536

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/15/07 11:53 PM

I would really like to see what the sheath that goes with that 2-11 looks like. Can a picture be attached??

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/16/07 12:16 AM

Quote:

I would really like to see what the sheath that goes with that 2-11 looks like. Can a picture be attached??

The sheath would certainly help date the knife, could be a Clarance Brown version...

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/16/07 12:34 AM

Quote:

Hey Guys,

Some really great looking #2s on this thread. Especially Boblades 1943 beauty.

My #2 question is: Does anyone have a wide bladed #2? How common were they? Hunt's book has one.

Cheers,

Alan
RKS#5531

Hi Alan

There's a gentleman I consider a friend who doesn't participate on this forum but does look in from time to time. He saw your request to see a wide blade # 2 and sent me some photos which follow. The dimensions are a bit over 1 1/2" wide by 8 1/4" long:

In terms of scarcity I'll quote Mr. Gaddis from page 71: "The Randall Stiletto was a big hit with US servicemen, so Bo offered it in the same blade lengths of 6, 7 and 8 inches as his fighter. From the very first, he considered a blade width of about 1 1/4 inches to be the best, but he was also willing to be flexible and tailor a stiletto to the customer's wishes. Throughout 1943 and a part of 1944, Randall stilettos sported blades of 3/4 inch, 1 inch, and 1 1/2 inches, although the vast majority were Bo's standard of 1 1/2 inches."

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/16/07 02:12 AM

Cool knife Ron. Thanks for posting the pics, and tell your friend thanks for taking and emailing them so we could see it.
~dale

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/16/07 08:45 AM

Quote:

In terms of scarcity I'll quote Mr. Gaddis from page 71: "The Randall Stiletto was a big hit with US servicemen, so Bo offered it in the same blade lengths of 6, 7 and 8 inches as his fighter. From the very first, he considered a blade width of about 1 1/4 inches to be the best, but he was also willing to be flexible and tailor a stiletto to the customer's wishes. Throughout 1943 and a part of 1944, Randall stilettos sported blades of 3/4 inch, 1 inch, and 1 1/2 inches, although the vast majority were Bo's standard of 1 1/2 inches."

Ron -

I disagree with the last statement. The vast majority of exisiting examples of WWII stillettos are approximatley 1 1/8" with some at 1 1/4".

The wide blade stilleto as pictured is far less common and I have never seen a 3/4" model 2 of the period that I recall and I wonder if any were actually ever made. The ricasso is 3/4" on most of them, so to have a blade the same width it would no longer be a model 2 but something else. Perhaps along the lines of the Applegate stilletto.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/16/07 10:50 AM

Typo, Joe:

Should have read "the vast majority were Bo's standard of 1 1/4 inches" (But I believe you: 1 1/8 - 1 1/4)

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/16/07 11:20 AM

Hey Ron,

Thanks for posting the wide bladed #2. Ever since I saw the one in Hunt's book, I've liked them.

I've always thought a wide bladed #2 would be a perfect "going into the bush to finish off the bear knife". But then again, My #14 is always on my hip in season.

And a wide bladed #2 would be a great Dirk-replacement for when I wearing my kilt!

Cheers,

Alan
RKS#5531

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/16/07 12:30 PM

Why not a "Tom Clinton Special" which appears to be a wide-bladed Model #2? Here's a picture Rhett posted...
-Steve

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/16/07 12:41 PM

By the way, Alan, I always thought a Scotsman's Sgian Dubh had a small blade, typically 3 to 3.5 inches. How would you fit a wide-bladed Model #2 inside your sock?
-Steve (lol)

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/16/07 02:06 PM

Posted by: Steven

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/16/07 07:38 PM

I think I want to have a large Sasquatch to go with my Kilt. By the way I need my kilt resized as I went from 220 to 139, doesn't want to stay up very well.
Posted by: patrickjames

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/16/07 09:11 PM

220 to 139 ? I'm sorry to here that.I hope all going to be well.I know you been sick.Your in my prayers
PJ

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/16/07 10:32 PM

PJ
Thanks actually feeling pretty good the last few weeks or so. Can't put on any weight but haven't been losing any more. I'm just really tired all the time.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/16/07 10:39 PM

You need to buy another Randall.That would perk you up!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 12:50 AM

Here's an interesting 7 spacer 2-8 from my same friend. Take a close look at the orientation of the handle relative to the (double) stamp:

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 02:25 AM

Ha! Great pic of the knives in the socks Steve!
~dale

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 06:35 AM

Ron,
It appears your model #2 may have an etched trademark over the remnants of a stamped TM. As I understand it, the etched trademarks have been commonly used when the initial stamped TM is unsuitable and must be removed. Does this model #2 have left handed finger grips?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 07:25 AM

It appears the handle was put on "backwards" if you will. In othere words, with right hand grips, the logo should be on the obverse side of the blade. In this case, it is on the reverse side.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 11:12 AM

Rick / Joe,

Here are my friend's comments "I asked Gary Randall if the logo wasn't on the wrong side but he said no, "The handle is on upside down". It's also got a severe double logo stamping".
My own comment: It's most likely the handle was put on upside down, but the knife seems to be circa '58-72 and I'm thinking it's "possible" that during that time if a guy ordered left hand fingergrips that Bo may have accomodated him.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 11:34 AM

Quote:

Ron,
It appears your model #2 may have an etched trademark over the remnants of a stamped TM.

This Model #1 (I think from 1963) seems to have the etched logo covering a shallow stamping...but the "SS" seems to be too deep to have been etched.
-Steve

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 11:47 AM

Hey Steve,

Your kilt/knife picture is a good one! Yep, you are right about the sgian dubh being the wee knife in the sock. A dirk goes the belt. I rarely carry a dirk, as they always clank around and do raise eyebrows.

A Clinton Special is a good idea.

Cheers,

Alan
RKS #5531

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 12:37 PM

Ron,
To hypothesize that the handle was put on upside down presumes that the finger grips are ground into the stag before the handle is installed which, of course, isn't the case. As long as we're all guessing, I'm gonna stay with an etched trademark over the remnants of a poor stamp.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 12:51 PM

Steve,
That's an excellent example of an etched TM over a stamp. Here's an example of a double stamp or stamp over stamp vs etched over stamp.
Posted by: red_river

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 01:04 PM

For what it's worth, an authorized dealer showed me an old model 2 that just had a portion of the little knife part of the stamp on it, the handle actually, and told me that GR told him (and now I'm telling you, making this about 3rd hand info), that back in the day, Bo Randall would send out a knife if there was any portion of a stamp on it recognizable as a Randall stamp.

Possibly a disatisfied customer back in those days might request the etch on such a knife?
I'm just guessing, no need to pile on....

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 01:14 PM

If a knife that has a shallow stamp is sent back to be refinished, wouldn't the refinishing take steel away, leaving little or no trace of the original shallow stamp? If so, then it would make sense for the shop to etch the logo right over it.
-Steve

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 01:55 PM

Quote:

Ron,
To hypothesize that the handle was put on upside down presumes that the finger grips are ground into the stag before the handle is installed which, of course, isn't the case. As long as we're all guessing, I'm gonna stay with an etched trademark over the remnants of a poor stamp.

Actually no, that wasn't the presumption at all. The issue of the stamp being etched over stamped is irrelvant to the question. Remember, Ron's initial post questioned the orientation of the handle in relation to the stamp.

The fact is those are right hand finger grooves and when held in that fashion, the logo is on the opposite side. If it were any other grind, the knife would have been stamped on the reverse of the blade. In this case it was put together incorrectly.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 03:22 PM

Since the finger grips are ground after the stag is installed, was it put together incorrectly or perhaps the finger grips were simply done on the wrong side?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 03:42 PM

Check out this stamp that got out the door at a time that more important things were going on than a legible stamp:

Posted by: Swordsman

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 06:38 PM

Even thought the stamping info is interesting, how did we get from a Model #2 knife discussion to a stamping discussion?

Tom V.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 06:45 PM

Guilty as charged, Tom

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 08:00 PM

Quote:

For what it's worth, an authorized dealer showed me an old model 2 that just had a portion of the little knife part of the stamp on it, the handle actually, and told me that GR told him (and now I'm telling you, making this about 3rd hand info), that back in the day, Bo Randall would send out a knife if there was any portion of a stamp on it recognizable as a Randall stamp.

J.P.,
The same dealer told me the same story ( if it is the Authorized Dealer closest to you). He also told me GTR would not let that happen today. Did you hear that part of the story?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 08:09 PM

Quote:

Did you hear that part of the story?

--------------------
Tom Welch

I don't know how you can hear anything with that leather helmet covering your ears.
~dale

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 08:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Did you hear that part of the story?

--------------------
Tom Welch

I don't know how you can hear anything with that leather helmet covering your ears.
~dale

I read lips.
No kidding. Years of shooting handguns w/o hearing protection took its' toll. When I met Big Jim, Perry and Rick Ward at the Spirit of Steel show I hope they did not think i was staring when they spoke.
Posted by: CBW

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 09:11 PM

This is my first post. This is a great thread since model 2's are a favorite. I have attached a picture of a model 2-7 I recently purchased. Engraver and scrimshander are unknown. The engraver's signed on the butt cap "AH". I believe the handle is ivorite. If anyone can help me identify either of the artists, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Chris Walker
Member No. 5398

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 09:15 PM

Welcome Chris.
Nice knife and thanks for posting.
Kevin

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 09:16 PM

Chris,
Here it is a little bigger, and right up front for all to see...
~dale

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 09:19 PM

Chris,

Welcome. Nice knife. I think I remember seeing that one on Ebay. I can't help you out with your question but other participants probably can.
Posted by: CBW

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 09:22 PM

Dale,

Thanks for posting the pic, being new to posting I was a bit intimidated by the process.

Chris
RKS #5398
Posted by: Rhett Stidham

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 09:39 PM

This is not a Model 2 but close. This is one of only three Applegate Stilettos made for Rex Applegate. Mr. Applegate returned them to the Randall shop.

Regards,

Rhett

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 10:31 PM

Quote:

Since the finger grips are ground after the stag is installed, was it put together incorrectly or perhaps the finger grips were simply done on the wrong side?

My guess it the handle was put on incorrectly. Being an ordered knife and not a stock item, I doubt grips done on the wrong side would suit the purchaser.
Posted by: Dirty_Water

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/17/07 10:45 PM

Since the knives go into the sheaths trademark down, why would the grips be on the opposite side?

RMK does not put many FG's on too many model 2's, so I don't remember any other way to place the grooves. However, we put a Border patrol Handle shape on a 2-7 this week and it came out looking verrry interesting!

---DW---

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/18/07 04:05 AM

How could the FG's be on the wrong side on a model 2? It has a double edged blade so you just turn it over don't you? Am I missing something here? I guess I could see them not being down when on the trademark side bothering a collector that planned to display it in a specific manner, but as a tool (which is what it really is... we have made them collector's items) the FG's on either side wouldn't make any difference in my mind. I think I must be missing the obvious here.
~dale

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/18/07 05:28 AM

I agree Dale, I was just making light of the discussion.

Actually, the FG's DO usually go on the side with the TM showing, unless left-handed FG's are applied.

---DW---

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/18/07 06:06 PM

Another Nice Model 2, 7"

After a friend saw a Model 2, 7" I recently acquired he asked me to find a Model 2 for him as well. I just received this one today and think it is really pretty. I would love to keep this one but my wife is about to put me in the Time Out Box. Oh Well! at least I will be able to see it from time to time.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/18/07 06:15 PM

The Handle
Posted by: Swordsman

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/18/07 07:25 PM

I have a Model #2 8" (that GTR repaired the tip on and repolished). He really liked the knife, Sighted down the blade several times, was smiling pretty good.

Still I think the Model #2 7" is a beautiful knife and would love to own it or a new one like it.

Guess I like the NEW and the OLDER stuff, LOL!

Tom V.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/18/07 07:59 PM

That's a Bad Blade Bro'.

Dubie
Posted by: The_Dutchman

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/19/07 07:30 AM

Model 2-8 white his little English brother

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/19/07 01:25 PM

need help to show the picture

thanks

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/19/07 01:58 PM

Here you go, Erik. Very appropriate comparison.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/19/07 02:04 PM

Here's another that came up on a well known web site earlier this year. Some say "a sheath makes the knife". In this case the value increases ~ 3-4X!

Posted by: Stephen RKS 5536

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/19/07 04:36 PM

Did Model 1 and 2 riveted sheaths with rivets all the way around (not throat rivets alone) ever come with brown button logo snaps or canteen snaps??

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/19/07 08:04 PM

No, not that I have seen. Riveted sheaths were introduced in those models after the demise of the brown button sheath from Johnson.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/19/07 08:08 PM

You know, this made me think of a display I have coming up for some Fairbairn Sykes for someone in CA. I'll try to remember to post a pic of them after he receives it, and gets it set up.
~dale

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/20/07 03:06 AM

Thanks, Ron
Posted by: Sidney_Redford

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/20/07 03:35 PM

Here is one of mine [image]http://[/image]

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/20/07 05:27 PM

Nice knife Sidney,But it kinda looks like a small Arkansas toothpick. I could be wrong.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/20/07 06:09 PM

yes it does, a #13-6

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/21/07 09:01 AM

Sorry guys I don't know what I was thinking, nothing it seems.
Posted by: Chief

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/21/07 09:06 AM

Quote:

Sorry guys I don't know what I was thinking, nothing it seems.

Ya know I have that same problem when I'm awake !! Still a nice knife!

See Ya, Chief

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/16/08 05:17 PM

-Steve

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/16/08 07:42 PM

Thanks Steve for posting your ivory #2 here.

For all the work Kevin did to get the model o' the week started let's keep it going!
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/16/08 10:23 PM

Here is one of my favorites!! I love this knife!!
:-)Rocky
Posted by: Burnie

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/16/08 10:25 PM

Rocky, That is one beautiful model 2!!!!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/16/08 10:29 PM

Thanks Burnie!!
I really love just holding it!!
I wish I could get the photo's to do right!! I used to have no problems, and now, I can not get one photo to post right!!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/17/08 06:10 PM

Thanks Chief...........
:-)R Wish I could do that

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/18/08 03:44 PM

Just back from being engraved!
Ron Skaggs did a superb job.
(Ivory Model 2 with Doug's silver hilt and collar.)
-Steve

Posted by: New2Randalls

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/18/08 03:56 PM

Steve, that's a nice looking knife. I'm going to have to contact Ron Skaggs and see about him engraving a 3-5 with ivory I have.
Dan Snyder RKS #5537
Posted by: BOB_TEATES

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/18/08 04:07 PM

Beautiful knives Rocky and Steve.This one is one of my favorites.#2-4 Mr.Skaggs engraved. Bob
Posted by: silverknife

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/18/08 11:43 PM

Steve, That's beautiful! Ron did a great job on it and the turn around time was super quick. May I use the image in my brochure and web site (under construction)?

Regards,
Doug

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/19/08 12:16 PM

I'd be proud to have you show it, Doug. (I was lucky that Ron had an opening after only several months.)
-Steve

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/19/08 01:12 PM

Excellent, Thank you. I will give you photo credit and of course you retain the copyright to the image.

Regards, Doug

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/19/08 06:32 PM

By the way, I asked Ron Skaggs to engrave this knife at least seven months before it was due to arrive from Randall. I told him I wanted to send a deposit to assure a place in line, but Ron was willing to give me a place in line without the deposit. I was braced to expect the whole process to take maybe a year, but was lucky that it was less than that...

==> Here's a closeup (a quick, hand-held, flash shot) of Ron's work. Note that he "grew" one of the leaves on the collar up to the hilt, to have continuity.

-Steve

Posted by: Wally

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/19/08 07:59 PM

Great Picture! His signature is visible also... very nice!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/07/08 02:15 PM

Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/07/08 05:14 PM

Some serious business goin' on in that photo.
NICE!!!!!!!
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/07/08 06:09 PM

Tom, what year was your Auto Mag III made? Those things are rare !!!

Is it in .44AMT?

Dubie Baxter

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/07/08 06:51 PM

Dubie,
The AutoMag III is chambered in .30 Carbine.
I think some were made in 9mm Mag.
They either shoot all day or are a jam fest.
Mine shoots fine and is a blast, literally, to shoot!
Posted by: frankdutill

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/07/08 08:32 PM

Sheldon,
I agree I would like to see some of the history and reasons why these knives are special and deserve some special consideration and additional information. Just thinking out loud, hopefully not to loud.
Frank Dutill

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/07/08 09:34 PM

Quote:

Sheldon,
I agree I would like to see some of the history and reasons why these knives are special and deserve some special consideration and additional information. Just thinking out loud, hopefully not to loud.
Frank Dutill

Frank, I had to go way back to the top of the thread to see why you were responding to Sheldon. This must be what you were responding to.
Quote:

Nice knives guys, but, I've just gotta ask...are the 'Model of the Week' threads supposed to be an informative series of knife examples whereby the new collector learns to differientiate knives by era according to specific characteristics - or, is it just intended to be a 'see my pretty knife' thread?

My response would be "both".
I get much out of looking at Randall Made Knives posted here by our members (and non-members). I also like to review the introduction posted by Kevin at the top of each thread.
I have looked at the knife of the week threads on other forums and ours does not take back seat to any.
So Frank, please enjoy our forum and please feel free to contribute by posting some Randall Made Knife history or just show us your pretty knife!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/07/08 11:36 PM

Frank, early on, for the first seven years or so, it was somewhat important to me to know within a few years when any given Randall knife was made; much less so now...

Early on, I didn't really give much thought as to why any given Randall knife was special; a little more so now...

As an example, this one is special because it's pretty, it's our latest, and it's got a great feel in the hand...

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/08/08 12:09 AM

Tom,

I don't recall Model 2's being among your stable of knives. Are those two recent acquisitions? Beautiful knives. Model 2's are among my all time favorites.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/08/08 08:45 AM

Tom,
The white micarta was my 2nd or 3rd Randall. Here is one I submitted for the November 2005 Edo Award contest.
I had the logo turned in!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/10/08 11:56 AM

Tom,
I've seen similar numbers like that scratched on shoes at the bowling alley. Is that an old "rental" gun?
~dale

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/10/08 10:46 PM

Dale,

That model of the broomhandle Mauser is called a "red nine" C96 converted to 9mm from the original 7.63mm. (in case you were really wondering)

Regards,
Doug
Posted by: Topos

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/14/08 11:20 AM

Doug,

" ... "red nine" C96 converted to 9mm from the original 7.63mm." Am I correct [ what I know about all the models and SYSTEM MAUSER but I put a lot of STOCK into your knowledge ] the Red 9 was its own model, not a conversion like slipping a new barrel. Is the 9 in the photo different?

Now a SCHNELLFEUER is an artistic joy but useless to fire ... if this has any meaning to you. Great for WW II movie villains.

Best wishes.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/14/08 04:04 PM

Let's discuss Mauser C96's here.
Posted by: Warren_Polidori

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/28/09 10:50 PM

Tony Lepetri and I had a great day at the ECCKS in New York today.
This was to me the "find" at the show. There were several very nice Randall's there today but I'm very happy I found this beauty. This is my first 2-5. It has a very creamy ivory handle and engraving by David Perdue along with a brown gator sheath. It's found a good home.
Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/01/09 12:24 AM

Warren, you have passed a collecting milestone...What a nice knife.

You must be pretty excited to have spelled your fellow New Yorkers name wrong.

Dubie Baxter

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/01/09 02:08 AM

Plus one for Warren P, suhweet score!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/01/09 08:30 AM

Kevin,

Here's a little 2-4 with silver hardware, elephant ivory handle and scrimshaw by Gatean Beauchamp who I met at BLADE in 2002.

Copyright © 2009 All Rights Reserved.

Copyright © 2006 All Rights Reserved.

Here's an older 2-6 when the shop was still making knives with the exposed nut which I really like. This knife has .999 fine silver lugged hilt, collar, and butt cap. First up is a photo before it went out to Joe Mason for engraving and gold inlay followed by pictures of the hilt, collar, and butt cap after Joe worked his metal magic:

Copyright © 2009 All Rights Reserved.

Photo by Joe Mason Copyright © 2006 All Rights Reserved. Reproduced with permission.

Photo by Joe Mason Copyright © 2006 All Rights Reserved. Reproduced with permission.

Here's a group shot which contains (from top to bottom) a #12-6 with NS furniture and Narwhal handle; a #2-7 with NS
hilt, collar, butt plate, and Narwhal handle; and the #2-6 shown above. The group shot is followed by shots of the hilt and butt cap on the #2-7 Narwhal. All of the engraving is by Joe Mason.

Copyright © 2006 Joe Mason All Rights Reserved Reproduced with permission

Regards,
Doug
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/01/09 09:28 AM

Beautiful knives Warren and Doug. All Randall's are beautiful, I think and then to add the scrim and engraving just adds to their appeal. Thanks for posting them.

Michael Mason
RKS # 4382

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/01/09 09:44 AM

I had to go outside and take some deep breaths to get that "green-eyed monster" off my back.

Amazing knives guys.

Wonder why we never see any FACTORY knives done like these?

Dubie Baxter

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/01/09 11:51 AM

BEAUTIFUL KNIVES!!!!
You shoulda saw Warren yesterday at the show ... when we walked up to the
table that had the #2, he was "on it" in a split second like a heat-seeking
missile!
It is an incredible Randal!
Tony LaPetri
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/01/09 11:58 AM

Doug,
I may have soiled myself! Man-o-man! Outstanding Randalls! Well thought out and finished. Thanks.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/01/09 12:00 PM

Tony,

Was yesterday really that obvious? It knife was a great find. Dubie pointed out that I misspelled your name. My humblest apologies friend. We all make spelling errors from time to time.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/01/09 12:05 PM

Doug,

That is one awesome display of Model 2 Randall's. They are definitely one of a kind. Thanks for the treat.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/01/09 12:18 PM

WARREN!
No problem Buddy. I'm not the world's best speler, believe me!
Tony
Posted by: bedink

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/01/09 12:42 PM

Here's a 1960s model 2-8 that I picked up with a very interesting stamp. Has anyone seen one like this before, and does this add collectors value to the knife?
Brian

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/01/09 12:44 PM

As a big fan of the Model #2, those are all incredible examples and thanks for sharing. While possibly not all that practical in the bigger sense, I think the RMK Model #2 has one of the more distinctive blade designs in the RMK stable of knives and they sure are pretty and fit for a King.

Warren,

If I had just acquired that Model #2 I might have misspelled my own name.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/01/09 01:05 PM

"Double stamps" DEFINITELY increase the value!
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: JesseEgnew

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/01/09 05:02 PM

Warren that is one great knife! Thank you for showing it to us!
Best, Jesse

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/01/09 05:30 PM

Jesse,

Thanks for your generous comments. I think everyone has a knife that they acquired that raised their pulse a few notches. I was in the right place at the time and had a good friend to share the moment.

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/01/09 11:03 PM

Grazie mi amici!
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/01/09 11:28 PM

Tony,

Coltello compagno per sempre!

Saluti,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/02/09 06:52 PM

Just Adding This To The Model #2 Thread

I acquired this some time back and I have posted it before but not in this thread.

Mid - Late 70's Model #2 - 8" NS Hilt, Rosewood Handle with JRB.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/02/09 08:04 PM

Tom,
REAL NICE! Especially the Rosewood Handle!
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/02/09 08:12 PM

Tom,

That knife looks new. The Rosewood handle does look quite nice and is wonderful condition considering its age. Thanks of posting it.

Best,
Warren
Posted by: bedink

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/02/09 08:50 PM

Here is a 50's 2-7 that I have picked up. Nothing special but I love the sheath.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/02/09 10:50 PM

Thanks Tony & Warren,

I got this one from a collector in the upper Midwest about a year and half ago. Except for the handle material it is pretty much identical to the one on page 113 of Sheldon's book. It is very obvious that this was never a user except maybe to open letters or something like that. I cleaned up the duralumin butt cap and hilt a little and I mean very little but that was it. I haven't touched the blade at all. It seems Nickel Silver never really develops much patina so I don't think knives with NS hardware show their age like brass does. I don't know exactly when it changed but there seems to be a distinct difference in the satin finish on the older knives when compared to newer ones. At first I wasn't sure what kind of wood the handle was but took it to the shop on my last visit and confirmed that it is Rosewood.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/02/09 10:52 PM

Brian,

Nothing Special? Don't kid yourself, That's a cool knife. Thanks for posting.
Posted by: Condor

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/03/09 12:02 AM

Tom, that's a beauty. Wish mine would hurry up and get here (ha ha ha).

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 04/09/09 12:26 AM

A pair of Model #2's with two different photographic backgrounds for you viewing pleasure.

7" SS Blade, NS Hilt, Aluminum & Blk Spacers, Antique Gold Micarta Commando Shaped Handle, NS Butt Cap

8" SS Blade, NS Hilt, Aluminum & Blk Spacers, Maroon Micarta Commando Shaped Handle, NS Butt Cap

Enjoy

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 05/16/09 06:33 PM

These two are both Eight inch blades, picked up fresh from the shop on 07May2009. Maroon Micarta, Brass scalloped flanged and collared. The other is Ivory and Silver.

I guess the angle makes one look longer, but they're both 8s.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 05/16/09 07:40 PM

Wally,

Nice pair of 2-8's. That must have been one fine trip to the shop. Good luck!

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 05/16/09 07:41 PM

Beautiful Knives Wally.

I'm seeing double
Posted by: Oldvetnam1

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 05/16/09 08:30 PM

that's an awesome pair of knives Wally.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/01/09 07:37 PM

Just picked this 2-5 up. The handle is what drew me to it. African Fluted Buffalo handle, brass forward curved hilt, stainless blade and duraluminum knurled butt capp and a custom Greg Grutcher croc sheath. The funny thing about the sheath is it's not marked croc on the back. Tried to get a clear closeup of the sheath but the batteries died on my camera.

Dan Snyder #5537
Posted by: Condor

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/01/09 08:52 PM

A beautiful knife, and you got to it about one minute before I did. I hate it when that happens.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/02/09 11:35 PM

This has been posted in other threads in the past but just now adding it to the Knife of the Week thread.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/02/09 11:48 PM

I know, you are just getting warmed up to the latest Captain's build. As one might expect from a person of your expertise for Model 2's, accolades, accolades, accolades

Best,
Warren

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/03/09 05:34 AM

Nice knife and photo Tom. Adds new meaning to the term still life.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/03/09 08:03 AM

Tom,
That #2 must be the apple of your eye!
And a berry good photo!
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/03/09 12:19 PM

Thanks for taking the time to post Tom.

Beautiful knife and as always superb photography.

Kevin

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/03/09 02:17 PM

Many Thanks For The Compliments Guys,

The photography is a lot of fun when you have such beautiful subject matter to work with
and an appreciative audience.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/03/09 04:22 PM

Glassco ends in a vowel, so I guess you must be Italian.

Nice pic Tom.

Dubie Baxter

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/03/09 05:07 PM

I drink a lot of red wine so maybe there's some kind of transformation going on here.

PS: Those are Winter Haven, FL. Blueberries

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/03/09 06:47 PM

I know where you got them Tom. Sam's Club sells that brand all over the USA. The processing plant is about two miles from my house.

Dubie

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/17/10 07:22 PM

Christmas came very early this year. No secret I like Model #2's and when Capt. Chris showed me this #2 - 5" with shop Ironwood, I couldn't pass it up.

Thanks Capt. Chris.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/17/10 08:05 PM

Tom,

Beautiful knife with the shop supplied wood. Thank-You for posting it.

Michael Mason
RKS #4382

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/17/10 08:06 PM

Just a nice as you'll find...this ironwood is! (Sounds like Master Yota). Hope your bride likes it!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/17/10 08:26 PM

Merry Christmas Tom!!!!!!!
The RMK craftsmen have outdone themselves again. We all congratulate each other for our knives but I think we can all agree that the credit belongs to the artistic diligence of Randall Knives.

Kevin

John 3:15
Posted by: Peter_Kaufman

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/17/10 08:39 PM

Great model 2 Tom, I am really liking ironwood and that is a great looking knife.

Peter
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/17/10 08:46 PM

That Cap is a bad influence for sure!!

Pap

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/17/10 09:41 PM

Quote:

but I think we can all agree that the credit belongs to the artistic diligence of Randall Knives.

I couldn't agree more Kevin.

My passion for Randall Made Knives is rooted in that group of people in Orlando, the vision of their combined leadership, the diligence of the shop management and the beautiful craftsmanship. The knives that are created today are truly a tribute to the founder.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/18/10 05:20 AM

A beautiful piece of ironwood and a great knife Tom.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/20/10 12:10 PM

Tom!
Now THAT'S a beautiful sight to come back from vacation to!!
ENJOY!
Tony

Model #2 IVORITE - 03/21/10 12:38 AM

With pleasure I add this to Knives of the Week by Kevin Lough

This Model #2 - 8" Stiletto with NS hardware displays the latest handle material from Randall Made Knives

IVORITE

Re: Model #2 IVORITE - 03/21/10 06:54 AM

Beautiful knife Tom.

Another Model #2 - 04/20/10 08:26 PM

Model #2, Brass & Black - 8" Blade, Brass Hardware & Black Micarta Commando Handle

Thanks Again to Captain Chris

Re: Another Model #2 - 04/20/10 08:28 PM

WICKED !!!

Nice pictures Tom.

"Brass and black...I want my baby back".

Re: Another Model #2 - 04/20/10 08:38 PM

Thanks Dubie,

Another fine example of the incredible Craftsmanship of Randal Made Knives

This one is Deadly Sexy

Re: Another Model #2 - 04/20/10 09:05 PM

Tom,

There used to be some other guy here that got all the good knives. Now you get all the good knives.
Thanks for taking the time to post on The Knife Of The Week.

Kevin

Re: Another Model #2 - 04/20/10 09:07 PM

Tom!
That's one Classy Killer!
Tony

Re: Another Model #2 - 04/20/10 09:36 PM

Tony, tell the boys in Brooklyn that we ain't cheap but we're easy.

Re: Another Model #2 - 04/20/10 09:41 PM

Dubie,
The boys in Brooklyn that I know ... I mean heard about ... prefer a Louisville Slugger!

Re: Another Model #2 - 04/20/10 09:54 PM

You are welcome, my man...you are welcome. By the way: I found your cracked wood!
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Another Model #2 - 04/21/10 04:04 AM

Classic beauty Tom. Thanks for sharing.
Posted by: boardrider

Re: Another Model #2 - 04/21/10 10:55 AM

Tom, Beautiful, What is that butcap style called? Is that "rounded" thanks

Re: Another Model #2 - 04/21/10 11:21 AM

Griff,
The butt cap is a brass "flanged" butt cap. It is also available as a "scalloped flanged" butt cap. The cost is $40 for the smooth and $60 for the scalloped. Hope this helps.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Another Model #2 - 04/21/10 11:51 AM

Griff,

The Smooth Flanged Butt Cap is most commonly seen on the Tom Clinton Special but it is in Duralumin and almost all of the brass versions I have seen are scalloped. I think the smooth version in brass just may be overlooked by many.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 05/09/10 09:48 AM

Hi
This Model 2 7 inch just in from the shop via Gary Clinton.
Another great example of the craftsmanship from the shop
This Model 2, 7 inch has a stainless steel blade, nickel silver hilt and butt, shop ironwood, and my name etched on the back. I ordered this knife to match a Model 1, 7 inch that I had ordered from the shop in 2001 and received in 2004.

Peter

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 05/09/10 10:17 AM

WOW!
Nice Set, Peter! wink
Very Classy.
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 05/09/10 10:57 AM

That's a great pair of knives Peter. Thanks for shariing.
Posted by: lunde

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 05/09/10 11:26 AM

Gorgeous pair!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 05/09/10 11:29 AM

Thanks Tony and Steve

The Model 1 was the first knife that I ordered from the shop, and the addiction has gotten worse. I like ironwood.

Peter

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 05/09/10 12:16 PM

Peter

That's TWO Much!

Beautiful Knives.

I love the Model #2 smile

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 05/10/10 07:47 AM

Thanks Ken and Tom
I have one other Model 2 6 inch that is basic black micarta, with no options also.
I really like the way this knife turned out, and may have to think how I would order another one.

Peter

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/15/10 02:49 PM

Look what was waiting for me on my door step Thursday!!
Silver...thanks to Doug!!
Musk Ox...Thanks to Mark Knapp!!
And of course, most of all....the great craftsman at the Randall shop!!
I'm think'n I need a "special" sheth for this little pocket protector.....any ideas???
Posted by: Rick Magee

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/15/10 08:05 PM

JUST an idea...but I've never seen a sheath made out of musk ox hide to go with a musk ox handle. grin

Beautiful knife!!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 10/31/10 11:33 PM

I ordered this #2-8" from Gary Clinton in mid-January, and it arrived on Friday:

Stainless steel, nickel silver hilt, aluminum/black spacers, Ivorite handle, nickel silver butt cap (radiused), and black no-hone sheath.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/25/10 02:28 PM

Another great ironwood knife
Model 2 - 5 inch, letter opener and boot knife

ss, nickel silver hilt, smooth nickel silver collar, rounded nickel silver butt cap, commando shape handle.

This is too nice not be on my desk to open letters

Peter

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/25/10 10:19 PM

Beauty for sure.

Pap

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/26/10 06:37 AM

Great knife Peter. Beautiful piece of ironwood.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/26/10 11:33 AM

Peter,
REAL NICE!
The collar is a nice touch!
Oh ... and the Iron Wood (what a surprise grin) is beautiful!
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/26/10 06:26 PM

Peter,
As I told you on the phone this afternoon, this #2-5" is one of my favorites! I smell a "build" coming!!
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Peter S.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/27/10 03:32 AM

That´s a very nice #2, Peter!

The Ironwood is awesome!!!

I think, this beauty is a real good letter opener! laugh

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/12/11 05:15 PM

Hello all! At the Blade show this past year, my wife Lori joined the RKS (#5999). Janie made a comment to her indicating there are "few" lady members. So, she feels priviledged to be among our ranks. Of course, now she has to have her own collection (I only have four RMKS, but I have at least that many on order too). We ordered a 2-4 from Gary Clinton for her, and I supplied a block of Fossil Walrus Ivory. Gary took the time to personally assist in picking out her options. Here it is, just in time for Valentines day! Now she's hooked. Inert grenade added for size comparison. This is a small knife, but a perfect first "Chic Randall"

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/12/11 06:18 PM

Wally
Great knife, and color on the ivory. I am sure your wife will enjoy it and will want to add to her collection now

Peter

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/12/11 06:18 PM

Great looking knife Wally. A big welcome to your wife in joining.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/12/11 06:51 PM

She's a sweetheart too, I might add. Put up with all of us all weekend...Great first edition.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/12/11 07:27 PM

Peter & Lori,

Those are two unique and beautiful Model 2's. My Compliments

A pretty Model #2 will always get my attention.

Posted by: Lori Mabry

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/12/11 08:02 PM

Thanks for the compliment Capt. You're a real sweetheart too! It's my first Randall, but it won't be my last! See you at BLADE!! wink

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/12/11 09:16 PM

Alllllright! A girl lookin' forward to seeing me at Blade. Sounds good to me...Wally comin'?
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/12/11 09:35 PM

Peter you are correct...I will be adding to My Collection!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/12/11 09:46 PM

Wally will be there because he owes you money!! grin

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/13/11 05:38 PM

Great Looking #2. Real Classy with that handle!
Tony

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/13/11 07:19 PM

This is my latest. Ivory, fine silver.
Posted by: Rick Magee

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/13/11 08:05 PM

Ivory and Silver - Wow! Now THAT is cool!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/27/11 12:15 PM

Here is my first #2, which is a #2-8" with Nickel Silver furniture and an Ivorite handle:

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/27/11 03:37 PM

Ken, that's a great looking #2 with the Ivorite handle and nickle hardware.

Dan Snyder
RKS #5537
SHAG #010
Posted by: kalervo

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/27/11 03:52 PM

Very nice. I must soon get a mod 2. :-)
Posted by: Jacknola

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/15/11 12:34 AM

Here is a #2-8" that I recently purchased for an old SF comrade from Vietnam, “Dr. Lonny,” now a retired surgeon (he doesn’t buy much over the internet).

I think it is an outstanding blade. The knife, stone, and sheath all have a patina of age, but in almost perfect condition. The logo on the blade looks like it was etched as there is no indent… but I’ve heard that etching the logo is a myth.

When I first saw the pictures, I thought maybe the stone was incorrect, with the white lettering possibly indicating mid-late ‘60s … however, I am hardly an expert. But after seeing the knife it all looks good in the steel … whatever…. It is a knife that was obviously carefully preserved.

The odd thing is that a search on the net for “FBY, Jr.” found another knife, a #12-8” with almost the exact same options, same inscription plate and initials. Unfortunately it had been sold.

My friend wanted to reunite the two knives. He wonders if anyone knows who the “FBY, Jr” collector was, and if there are other presentation knives, perhaps other models in the set, now floating in collector-ville.

I”ll be happy to put the owner of such a knife from this set in touch with Dr. Lonny.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/15/11 01:08 AM

Here is another #2-8” I purchased this week. It fits my taste, obviously beat-the-heck-up, old, carried extensively, probably/possibly in Vietnam (all Randalls actually carried in the field in Vietnam were pretty cruddy and beat up in short order, and the sheaths were frequently blackend and slick and shiny from embedded sweat and dirt on the back).

Once again, this logo almost looks etched... no stamp indent visible... and though it is not marked as such, I want to check the steel... it almost as a stainless feel to it... probably not though. Did Randall ever make a stainless knife that was not marked?

But it also is a lesson about buying when pictures are not so good. The two-tone stone was apparently broken and then epoxyed together, and some name or lettering was very crudely ground off the blade from the side opposite the logo.

Neither of these flaws were shown in the pictures… I actually like the poor baby orphan knife that obviously has a lot of real history... It's like a lost puppy that needs tender loving care.

But I’m thinking of sending it back because the flaws were not pointed out or pictured. I am attracted to interesting pieces of history. I don’t mind the grinding off a name … it was pretty common in Vietnam … new troop in country, buys or trades for a knife from a guy going out … grind his name off. But I do mind the price when these things were not made evident in the sale. The next couple of days, we’ll see if I can live with it.

Regards, Jack Williams

PS: The seller apparently does not deal much in knives as he has no others for sale... he apparently deals in antique brass, metal stuff, statuettes, etc. So to give him the benefit of the doubt, perhaps he just didn't notice the damage. We'll see.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/24/11 08:18 PM

I know many of you are wondering why such a nag (above) was posted amid a stable of thoroughbreds ... but there was a special reason.

I bought the knife, discovered the condition and after examining it and lots of thought, I returned it. It has now been re-posted on e-bay and sold.

But this knife had some strange and special qualities. Note the condition of the blade... no rust, no pitting, dispite the gouge on one side, dings, dints and obviously heavy use. Also note the marks showing attempts to sharpen the blade, without sucess.

I am 99 percent certain this is a stainless blade ... but not marked as stainless. But there is more.

I have heard that there were some RMK stainless blades that were not marked. At least one was shown by Joe on "this old Randall" line. This knife has a serious gouge on the side opposite the logo ... and I am pretty sure a name or initials were crudely removed, one can almost make them out.

This knife then, might be one of a very few that had an unmarked stainless blade... AND... initials (at one time) etched on the opposite side... something that was not supposed to have been produced.

Too bad it was so wrecked, because this knife as seen some exotic use...and has a real veteran history... oh if it could talk. Also one reason I returned it is that I thought there may have been some efforts to disguise the gouge. It looked like the name-initials were removed long ago... by probably using a chisel. But there was a more recent attempt to smooth out the trench using a polishing drill. You may be able to see what I'm talking about by noting the lighter colored markes at the ends of the "trench." The polishing drill hardly was able to mark the stainless blade much... but I'm not a fan of disquised flaws.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/25/11 10:57 AM

Jack,

There's a simple test for stainless that I picked up from Crutchtip:

Get some liquid gun blueing. Put a small amount on a Q-tip and dap it on a non conspicuous area like under the choil. If it's stainless, it will wipe right off. If it's 01, it will "take".

This worked for me.

Best,
Posted by: Skeetdoc

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/29/12 01:35 PM

Posterity Post:

Model 2 - 8

7 Options:

SS, Nickel Asymmetric Hilt, Alum/Black Spacers, Stag, FG, WT and Compass

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/29/12 01:35 PM

Back Side:

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/29/12 01:36 PM

End View:

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/29/12 01:36 PM

I really like the curve and finger grips on that model 2. Looks great.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/29/12 08:06 PM

Very, very nice setup and super stag. A nice part of your "stag party" for sure. You need a #19 and a #5 next. Bound to be one of each out there so equipped.

Pap

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/29/12 08:09 PM

Pap

Agree. Really want a 5 set up this way.

Doug
Posted by: David

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/26/12 09:16 PM

I just picked up this interesting Model 2-8.

Check out the inscription:

Posted by: Ronnie

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/27/12 01:37 AM

I have a good friend that was a member of that fine little organization.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/27/12 08:07 AM

Very nice David. I wonder what the history might be on that one?
Posted by: David

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/27/12 05:54 PM

I wish I knew the history. Unfortunately, none was provided.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/01/12 06:07 PM

I just picked this 2-6 up, not sure whether it's ivory or ivorite, either way, it's definately a keeper. I believe the only options are the handle material and nickle silver hilt.

Thanks for looking,

Dan Snyder
RKS #5537
RKCC #CM-155
SHAG #010

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/01/12 06:58 PM

It's the new ivorite. Nice knife.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/01/12 07:38 PM

Nice knife Dan.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/10/12 10:39 AM

Came in on friday.....had to wait all weekend to get it from the post office. I of course, was not home when the mail arrived on Friday.
2-4" ivory

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/10/12 02:06 PM

An elegant Randall, for sure!!

Pap

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/10/12 05:07 PM

That's one really nice looking model 2 you got there. I really like the ivory handled Randalls.

Dan Snyder
RKCC #cm-155
Posted by: CrazyCajun

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/11/12 08:04 PM

Model 2 week at my place too! It has been on order for a while. The #2's are my favorite.... this week!!!! Enjoy... Pictures still a bit rough.. I figured knives or camera gear!! Knives won!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/11/12 09:18 PM

Looks familiar Steve! Nice one.
Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/11/12 09:20 PM

Yes Sir... it is! Thanks to some ole' Alabama fan I met few years ago!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/20/13 08:28 AM

Posterity Post:

Model 2-8
SS, Brass FCH, Brass Scalloped Collar, Shop Ironwood (Commando), Brass Scalloped Coolie Cap

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/20/13 08:48 AM

Dang that is some nice shop Ironwood.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/20/13 04:47 PM

Now that's purdy!!
Posted by: Buck Buchanan

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/20/13 06:28 PM

I'm getting this feeling of "Day-Ja-Voo" that I have seen that before, recently.

It will come to me - sometime this year.

Great combination, Doug. Can't wait to see the next "trio".

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 05/11/14 09:42 PM

Our fellow forum member, "Fairborn" has asked me to post up a pic he sent me (via email) of some of his favorite loves...Model #2's!
Consider it done, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Byrdguy

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 05/11/14 10:29 PM

Deuces Wild! great pic.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 05/11/14 11:07 PM

2's & and Red Queens Wild....Love it!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 05/12/14 06:15 PM

And a real nice No 1 MK III Enfield with issued sling as "background".
Posted by: Fairbairn

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 05/13/14 10:24 AM

You have a good eye. It is, indeed, a Short, Magazine Lee Enfield, built in 1915.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/11/14 02:25 PM

I ordered this in 2009 and it arrived on Monday
RMK model 2 4", stainless, brass and black spacers, concave ironwood handle, and domed brass butt cap
I already have used it to open my mail, which is the job for it
A great looking little knife
Peter

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/11/14 03:00 PM

2-8 in a Stockman sheath

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/11/14 07:20 PM

My oldest model 2, Joe:

Slab-side Model 2 - 4"
with boot-knife sheath
Posted by: spark42

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/11/14 08:24 PM

Peter
Fabulous looking Randall.
A 5" dressed like yours is on my wish list.
Thanks for the great photos.
Dennis
Posted by: Andrea Bertelli

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/16/14 06:00 AM

Hi guys
Could you please help me to date this knife?
The sheath is an Heiser

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/16/14 10:17 AM

Andrea,

Your knife is an early 1950's model. The sheath has a wide stone pocket flap and a horizontal keeper strap....and the knife has the small Randall stamp. All were phased out as the 50's progressed.

Posted by: Andrea Bertelli

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/16/14 03:20 PM

Thanks Tunefink

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/21/15 06:00 PM

This showed up yesterday in the mail.
Posted by: rodbrown

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/21/15 06:15 PM

Burnie

You have acquired some very nice knives recently. By chance do you have an "old knife patch" in your garden?

Great looking knife.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/21/15 06:20 PM

Thanks Rod check out this old Randall. I posted some older ones yesterday.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/21/15 07:38 PM

Burnie, you are rockin it Dude! Keep them coming...

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/21/15 08:49 PM

Thanks Steve once you have the bug always you have the bug!!!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/21/15 09:01 PM

Burnie...... Please.

I don't think "having the bug" quite describes your condition......

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/22/15 09:45 AM

I believe that was what they call "Creative License"!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/22/15 10:07 AM

The lugged hilt looks best on a model #2 for me.

It may just be the photo, but that blade looks wider than usual.

Good get Burnie.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/22/15 12:54 PM

I was think's that too, but I'll bet it's just the way it was shot...Beautiful knife!!!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/22/15 03:27 PM

Thanks guys and as for the "sickness" Tune I think you have helped feed my sickness more than once! And as always it was good buisness!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/22/15 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Burnie
Thanks guys and as for the "sickness" Tune I think you have helped feed my sickness more than once! And as always it was good buisness!

Funny how that works huh Burnie? Tune Has a way of sharing info ....then pictures, then before you know it you own the knife grin grin
Ohhh and let's not forget that you leave remembering how you ask if he would sell it lol grin grin You are in good company, there is a long list of good folks that he buys, sells & trades with!!
As for your sickness........Might have to start calling him Doctor Tune!!! He has some of the best medicine grin

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/22/15 06:14 PM

Truer words were never spoken....

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/22/15 08:03 PM

The Knife Whisperer!!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/22/15 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: CrazyCajun
The Knife Whisperer!!

Now that's funny!!!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/22/15 08:54 PM

I know Burnie is on pain meds with his shoulder...... the rest of you must be in the sauce!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/22/15 09:20 PM

OK all jokes aside! I need a fix Dr.Tune what you got for sale?.....

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/22/15 09:30 PM

LOL the scrim on my avatar I bought from you!!
Posted by: Jim459

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/23/15 01:19 PM

Tune,

A lugged hilt on a Model 2 is really special. Here is one of mine.

Jim

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/23/15 01:22 PM

OOOOOOH! Now that's serious! Very Nice Jim!! Who did the engraving?
Posted by: Jim459

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/23/15 05:54 PM

Steve,

Here is the description:

Randall Model 2-6 Stiletto, Stainless Steel Blade, .999 fine Silver Lugged Hilt, .999 fine Silver Collar, Ivory Commando shaped handle, .999 fine Silver Butt Cap with Nut (old style). The knife is engraved with Gold Inlay by Joe Mason.

Jim

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/23/15 06:14 PM

Jim, you are the King of high end embellished Randalls.... and your photography is damn fine as well.

Thanks for posting!!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/23/15 07:26 PM

Wow Jim, what a beauty. Here's my 2-8 with silver and Ivory, I've been dying to get it engraved.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/23/15 07:37 PM

Here's what I think is a sweet little 2-4 I purchased from one of the banner advertisers, the sheath got me. I'm thinking about 1980. The handle is flattened, feels really great in the hand, even as small as it is. I also think the rounded butt is a result of lessons learned from guardians with fishtail butts. It's a great shape.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/23/15 07:45 PM

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/23/15 07:46 PM

Jim,

Tune is right you are the only guy I know who carves off silver to add gold. very nice & I'm not a model 2 fan!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/23/15 08:03 PM

This is my current favorite tho, maroon, 5" blade, 99% condition. Flattened handle also. Wow!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/23/15 08:22 PM

Some really great knives guys! Thanks for posting...

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/23/15 08:48 PM

Here is a 2-8 from a similar time period with a JRB Sheath

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/23/15 09:49 PM

Very nice Tom. I've seen this knife somewhere. Do you mind if I ask where you found it?
Posted by: samg

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/23/15 09:56 PM

Jim, that knife is a masterpiece. Thanks for posting it.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/23/15 11:31 PM

Thanks Burnie.

This was an Ebay purchase back in 08. I think the seller was out of Oklahoma or Midwest anyway. I probably posted this quite a few years ago on this forum but I wasn't going to spend time looking for it. In Sheldon's book there is one almost identical and from a similar time period. The handle is shop supplied Rosewood.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/13/15 06:23 PM

Another new arrival! model 2-8" huge stag with lugged bass hilt and separate S blade stamp. JRB w/Bear SP-13 stone

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/27/15 11:49 AM

This is Fairbairns' Westinghouse Micarta 2-5, which he purchased across the counter from Pete Hamilton, back in the day!
Posted by: Aurevoir Gopher

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/27/15 01:07 PM

Even though I don't like the model 2, that particular specimen is stunning and could star in its own WWII espionage movie!!
Posted by: Tattoo Bill

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/28/15 04:17 PM

A couple of Model 2-7" Ivorite handled knives.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/28/15 04:19 PM

Model 2-5" flat side

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/28/15 04:20 PM

1940's vintage Model 2-7"
Posted by: Kirko

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/28/15 08:36 PM

Very nice !

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/24/15 11:45 PM

Does anyone here know what year the first Model 2-4" blade length was introduced?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/25/15 02:11 AM

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/25/15 09:03 AM

Thanks!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/27/15 12:16 PM

This from "The Randall Chronicles" pg 151.
Some of the dates on non catalog knives.
1.) 16 Special fighter. 1978
2.) Combat Companion. 1993
3.) Gambler, 4 and 5 inch, 1987
4.)#2-4" 1972
5.)Fireman. 1980
6.)GTR. 1975
7.)Cattlemen. 1988
8.)Denmark. 1970
9.)Pathfinder. 1989
10.)Tailor. 1972
11.)Triathlete. 1988
12.)#10-3" 1978
13.)#12-9"14G. 1989
14.)Trailblazer. 2000
15.) #8-4" leather. 2000 16.): #11-3" 2000=

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 01/15/16 11:24 PM

A couple of #2s if feel very fortunate to call mine now... the "low S" bears the name of the original owner, and his "RA" serial number, shop etched on the reverse.

Posted by: Birdsinhere2

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 01/16/16 11:05 AM

Very nice model 2s!
Posted by: Sharpi

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 01/16/16 06:44 PM

2 two much!
is that Iron wood??
very very nice
Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 01/16/16 06:50 PM

I am convinced ironwood is the way to go!!!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 01/16/16 07:01 PM

Seller described it as Rosewood, I tend to agree, it's just a little lighter than Walnut.Not a ding on it!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 01/16/16 08:16 PM

You know what it is..... PERFECT! !!!
Posted by: KnifeScout

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/27/16 03:37 PM

Which Model 2 has the best balance?
I am assuming the fulcrum moves forward, closer to the hilt with the longer 8" blade.

Does the 7" have a similar balance to the F-S?
If anyone can measure where it is, that'd be great.

Also, anyone have a photo of a 7" or 8" in the hand for a better grasp on the size?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/27/16 03:44 PM

A lot would depend on the handle material and if there was a butt cap and what it is. Aluminum, brass, nickel silver.
Posted by: Whiteman

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/29/16 07:42 PM

1950s 2-7...and now I need another safe... wink

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/29/16 07:59 PM

Beautiful example

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/30/16 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: crutchtip
Beautiful example

Couldn't pass it up.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/30/16 02:28 PM

I really like the thick spacers we see on this no. 2. Do we know why Randall changed over the years to the thin spacers. Are the thick spacers still available thru suppliers?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/30/16 06:07 PM

The thick spacers and wide mouth sheath caught my eye.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/30/16 07:56 PM

Yep it's a beautiful rig.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/31/16 04:00 AM

Knifescout, the first pattern FS balances on the handle side of the guard, 7/8" behind it. Comparable Randall model 2s ( 7" blades) balance as follows: leather, brass butt cap, 3/4" on the handle side of the guard, stag, no butt cap, and stag, duralumin butt cap, both balance on the handle side, 1/4" from the guard. As you probably already know, a first pattern FS, properly held, is just an extension of your arm, and feels virtually weightless.

Hope this helps......Fairbairn

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/31/16 10:00 PM

Hey Whiteman, I see you're in Indiana. Did you happen to drive over to Illinois to pic up that beauty?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 04/01/16 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Wally
Hey Whiteman, I see you're in Indiana. Did you happen to drive over to Illinois to pic up that beauty?

Had Gary mail it to me. Almost stopped by on my way to Madison Wisconsin last year but didn't have the time. Hope to make the trip over soon.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 04/01/16 10:54 PM

I was going to his website every day, just to look over that one. It is a beauty!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 04/01/16 11:01 PM

Some more twos, 4 and 5 inch blades. I like em!
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 04/01/16 11:09 PM

Wally,
The 2-4 fossil is the one. That's got it all.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 04/01/16 11:16 PM

The fossil one is really the wifes'. Thanks tho, glad you like it!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 04/01/16 11:24 PM

Wife has good taste in knives. cool

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 04/02/16 08:06 AM

In Knives!!!
Just Kidding Wally!

That's a real nice batch of 2's. Now that I am back in FL
full time I can figure out this photo thing and get a few of them up here!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 04/02/16 08:55 AM

Steve, Where in Florida is your home base? I'm over on the West Coast just north of Tampa in Spring Hill.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 04/02/16 02:29 PM

The Center of Good Living.... Ocoee. NW Metro Orlando area! Had been commuting back and forth to Gatlinburg last 2 1/2 years!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 04/02/16 02:44 PM

Not very far from the shop then! I'm just a lazy 2 hour drive away......

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/11/16 01:53 AM

I don't recall if I put this on here before, so here it is... just cuz ..

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/11/16 08:49 AM

They just don't make them like that these days. Love the long slender handle and the thin hilt. A real beauty, there.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/11/16 09:34 AM

Well said Pat, a classic 2.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/18/16 04:19 PM

Model 2 8" Vietnam era

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/18/16 04:25 PM

Yeah buddy, gotta love that!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/18/16 04:31 PM

Another great example of the early work. Long choil and thin swept back hilt. Awesome knife. Sheath aint too shabby, either!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/18/16 04:39 PM

Delivered in 1967. Came with the original order form.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/26/16 10:44 PM

posting a couple model 2's since the Old Randall thread was taken over with much discussion.

One of the first two made of Bo's new model 2 in April 1943.

http://www.rmkcollector.com/knives-collector-interest/bo-s-first-stiletto

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/26/16 10:47 PM

Late 40's model 2 "trench knife" with 8 3/8" blade.

http://www.rmkcollector.com/knives-collector-interest/randall-trench-knife

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/26/16 10:50 PM

Model 2-5 named and documented to a SOG vet. One of five Randall's he owned to include and 18-7.5, 18-5.5, 1-7, and 1-6, all in split-back sheaths. The model 1-7 came in a black LH Johnson originally but a split-back was ordered and thus carried that way. Don't know if the 1-6 originally came in a "A" sheath or not.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/26/16 10:54 PM

Purchased in 1950 is a 2-7 named and documented to a Korean and Viet Nam war vet. From the original owner. One of the very early ones when I started to really get into documented knives. Note the blued blade.

Good story on this one posted on the website:

http://www.rmkcollector.com/knives-collector-interest/joseph-h-red-comptons-model-2

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/26/16 10:58 PM

Documented or not Joe those knives stand on their own. Thanks for the post. Grand.
Posted by: william768

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/26/16 11:53 PM

Great early Stilettos crutchtip . Thanks for sharing .

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/27/16 07:56 AM

What a fine piece of history. Beautiful work of functional art.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/27/16 12:35 PM

Beautiful named 50's Model 2 with one of the best stag handles I have seen.

http://www.rmkcollector.com/product-details/mid-50s-2-8-stag-named-us-navy

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/27/16 12:50 PM

AGREED Joe!!! That's awesome stag and a really awesome knife over all!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/27/16 03:48 PM

Keep em coming Joe, outstanding!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/28/16 02:05 PM

Carried by a chopper pilot in Viet Nam. Said it was in his flight suit leg pocket, but it looks like it sat back at the base in his duffle bag.
Posted by: Kirko

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/28/16 06:02 PM

Amazing !
Posted by: desert.snake

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/01/16 01:58 PM

By the way, the model 2 is very similar to a dagger of Tutankhamen.
Especially the one of stainless meteoric iron (10% Ni, 0.6% Co).

We can it even repeat in miniature (original 13" blade):
stainless, reduced hilt, 8 inch blade, concave handle,
smooth collar and gold G10 smile

or G11 / FR5 Glass-Cloth Reinforced Epoxy

Quote:
FR5 Glass-Cloth Reinforced Epoxy
NEMA grades G11 and FR5 Glass-Cloth Reinforced Epoxy - natural color is typically yellow green to amber. This grade is similar to G10/FR4 but has a higher operating temperature and superior mechanical properties at elevated temperatures. The main difference between NEMA Grades G11 and FR5 is that FR5 is a fire retardant grade of G11.

Posted by: JE6245

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/19/16 11:23 AM

I'm posting this for a friend. He bought the knife last year at Blade. This is the only slab sided Model 2 I have seen but admittedly I have not seen as many Randalls as most other folks on here. Interesting also is that it is shaped in the commando style which is something else I have not seen with slab sided stag. The owner was told by the seller that the knife was made in 2010 which I have no reason to doubt but I was thinking that slabbing as a general option ended earlier than that. Also interesting that the knife has what looks like a "plug" at the butt which is something else I don't recall seeing before. Anyway, it's a very cool little knife. Any thoughts or input anyone may have about it would be appreciated. As always, apologies for my poor pictures.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/19/16 11:48 AM

I have never seen that. It looks really cool though! I bet Wally will dig it!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/19/16 11:57 AM

"This is the only slab sided Model 2 I have seen "
Jim,
Really? I don't know "how" many times I've posted this one...but more than a couple, usually followed by some conversation. In short: They ain't rare with slab-sides.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/19/16 12:11 PM

My bad. I meant to say that I have not seen other Model 2's with slab sided stag. I know slab sides on 2's are pretty common in micarta but I didn't think they were common in stag.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/19/16 02:00 PM

Great looking knife your friend has there Jim! I don't recall seeing a "Flatside" Stag handle 2 either. I have them in leather.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/19/16 02:02 PM

Another angle.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/19/16 02:35 PM

Thanks Bill. I thought I remembered you posting that up before and was hoping you would show it again. Very nice knife. Let me know when you get tired of it. ;-)

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/19/16 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: JE6245
This is the only slab sided Model 2 I have seen

Here's my baby Model 2 that is "sort of" slab:
Posted by: 505Gibbs

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/19/16 09:20 PM

How about a model 26??

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/19/16 10:33 PM

The #2 shaped stag handle was done somewhere other than the RMK shop... We wouldn't have left that go out with the drill hole visable..

Nice job though!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/20/16 09:42 AM

Scott -- Was the handle altered or entirely replaced after leaving the shop? Maybe no way to know but I'm just trying to figure out the extent of the post shop alteration. I'm told that the seller did not say anything about the knife being altered.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/20/16 11:02 AM

http://www.rmkcollector.com/product-details/wwii-model-2-7-moore-sheath

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/20/16 11:24 AM

Do you think the stone pouch was removed much later given the color and condition?
Really nice vintage 2 Joe.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/20/16 12:36 PM

My guess is sometime during the war. Aside from the natural darkening associated with exposure to the elements, the sheath obviously shows carry and is darkened but that could also be done by leather treatment.

I have seen more that a couple like this from various makers even as late as the 60's-70-s

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/20/16 12:47 PM

Joe,

Can you post a photo of the butterfly stitching on the backside?

Also, There were no retainer straps going through slots during WWII. Any idea of why this sheath has them?

Thanks,

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/20/16 01:01 PM

Done probably when the original located high on belt loop was rendered unusable, soldier added because if carried upside down as is common on web gear the knife would drop to the hilt.

It didn't take Moore too long to drop the keeper towards the throat and Hesier followed suit.

I don't think i have a photo of the back. What is your thought?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/20/16 02:18 PM

Jim, the knife was altered after it left the shop, not rehandled...

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/20/16 02:22 PM

Since Moore did not mark his sheaths and there are unmarked Heiser and Johnson sheaths out there, there are two "tells" that can help the collector (One on the obverse side and one on the reverse side): The obverse tell is Moore's stone pocket flap that is "contoured" around the snap. In this case the tell was removed by virtue of the pocket and flap being removed. The reverse tell is that Moore's butterfly wings remain "separated" all the way to the bottom while both Heiser and Johnson wings "merge" at the bottom. Can you please take and post a photo of this sheath's butterfly? That will certainly put my mind to rest as to whether the era of the knife and sheath are aligned.

Thanks in advance.......

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/20/16 06:46 PM

Ron -

It is a Clarence Moore, 100%. I never had any doubt whatsoever. It is typical of a WWII model 2 Moore.

Heiser construction is different than Moore as you know, and not just visuals like stone pouch flap. Totally different shape, stitching, rivets (most), etc.

I don't recall ever seeing a WWII model 2 in a Heiser sheath w/o rivets.

I don't have a photo of the back of this particular sheath, but this photo is of Moore that is of the same construction in the butterfly

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/20/16 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Dirty_Water
The #2 shaped stag handle was done somewhere other than the RMK shop... We wouldn't have left that go out with the drill hole visable..

Nice job though!

A whole bunch of knives left that shop with drill holes plugged and easily visible Scott.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/20/16 08:29 PM

I have a totally different opinion, Joe. Please just post a photo of the back of the sheath in question. That's all I ask.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/20/16 08:35 PM

What is your opinion? That is what I asked you earlier.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/20/16 08:46 PM

My opinion is that it is not a Moore sheath. You are going to want minutia discussion. I'm not going to play. Just post a photo so we can get past this.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/20/16 08:48 PM

I will wager and am in fact surprised you are questioning whether I know if it is a Moore or something else. I will take a quick photos, which is a pain in the A$$ to resize to fit, but what do you think it is? You know what a Moore sheath looks like, so I am trying to figure out what and why you are thinking whatever it is you are thinking.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/20/16 09:03 PM

Here are four WWII model 2's, three 7" in Clarence Moore sheaths. with the one you have some doubts about 2nd from left. All three are strikingly similar.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/20/16 09:04 PM

Is the photo you just posted a photo of the back of the sheath in question? I wasn't 100% sure by reading between the lines.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/20/16 09:07 PM

Of course, I said I would take a quick photo. Not the best quality. So what did you think it was?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/20/16 09:14 PM

Thanks very much for posting that photo, Joe! I really appreciate it. Based on that photo, I have to say it's a Moore.

Again, thanks for your effort to take the pic and post it.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/20/16 09:31 PM

How about a shot of the wide blade in the Heiser???

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/20/16 09:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Dirty_Water
Jim, the knife was altered after it left the shop, not rehandled...

Thanks for the follow up Scott.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/21/16 10:39 AM

Ronnie, I guess what I should have stated is that since the time of the production of this knife we would not have sent out a knife with the drill hole exposed... How 'bout that?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/21/16 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: tunefink
How about a shot of the wide blade in the Heiser???

Pictured in Hunt's "Randall Fighting Knives in Wartime" pgs 38-39. Biggest WWII model 2 I have seen.

I don't know if it in any other writings he did. Will try and get some photos of it an another together

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/21/16 05:38 PM

My old friend Roger Whorley stopped by my booth and showed me his Nam 14 carried by a jet pilot buddy. He said it was featured on one of Rhett's news letters. I held the totally rotted original riveted sheath and the replacement the owner got directly from Bo himself in 1984. Showed me the personally written letter from Bo that was sent with the replacement sheath that also had rivets from Johnson. This begs the question about whether Johnson kept riveting sheath way after the 70's. If you all remember, I had my Model 1 sheath riveted by Pete Hamilton at the shop in the early 70's on a visit to the shop. Pete asked me if I wanted rivets and I said yes. He disappeared for a few minutes and reappeared with my used sheath riveted. The reason I know he put rivets in my old sheath, was I had dyed the tan sheath cordavon. It was dark but not black. I am so mad at myself for selling that Model 1 to Rhett, it gives me nightmares. I am still hoping that the person that bought my Model 1 in 1993 will surface, so I can buy it back. It has my name etched, Michael R. Allen . let me know if you ever run across it. Didn't mean to hijack this Model 2 thread, so please move it to sheath or Model 1, not smart enough myself.

Pap

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/21/16 06:37 PM

There is a 2-9 on pg 63 of Hunts "Randall Military Models".

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/25/16 06:03 PM

I read, from time to time, about " tight stitched" sheaths, but I am unclear about just what that means. As a leather craftsman, I stitch wallets at eight stitches per inch, and knife scabbards at six or seven inches per inch, and saddles at five or six stitches per inch, depending on which part of the saddle I am working on. So, does tight, or otherwise stitching refer to number of stitches per inch,,or does it refer to something else?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/25/16 06:17 PM

Stitches per inch. Here are a couple for comparison.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/25/16 07:15 PM

Thank you. I expected that that the answer.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/25/16 08:21 AM

My Model 2-4 with Polished Stag, loose stitched Johnson rough back with wrap around keeper strap. Besides Ivory, Polished stag is my favorite handle material. I believe (could be wrong) RMK stopped polishing stag because of the smell and mess involved? I do love the result though.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/25/16 09:10 AM

My only two is an 11, and 20. Always liked the look of polished stag. Only available now on a 25 handle. Nice example Eric. They left just enough bark to make it interesting.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/25/16 09:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Eric
My Model 2-4 with Polished Stag, loose stitched Johnson rough back with wrap around keeper strap. Besides Ivory, Polished stag is my favorite handle material. I believe (could be wrong) RMK stopped polishing stag because of the smell and mess involved? I do love the result though.

I have 2 polished stag knives also, one regular one crown. Will be seeing about getting another soon.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/25/16 09:33 AM

Warren, I have a mini model 25 with polished stag. I was referring to full handle examples, my fault.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/25/16 11:50 AM

Wow Eric that center looks like that forbidden handle material. Great looking mini.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/25/16 12:00 PM

Originally Posted By: W Polidori
Wow Eric that center looks like that forbidden handle material. Great looking mini.

Not "forbidden" in my world! lol

Eric has some great knives. I have bought several of them! Mainly of said forbidden material....lol

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/25/16 06:29 PM

Me too.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/25/16 09:07 PM

Ronnie my man! I need that Model 1 to go with my Model 4!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/26/16 12:29 AM

Sorry Bill it looks just fine in that gun case. It's my Gen. Westmoreland replica...but it's a Mod. 1 not a Mod. 5. Besides you got all the ivory you need! It is good looking isn't it.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/26/16 12:08 PM

Nice knife is that a chrome plated blade?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/26/16 06:26 PM

No it's just cleaned up a bit.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/04/16 06:34 PM

Late 60's Model 2 7" Carbon Brass on Brass, with brass pommel nut. Double stamp to left schimitar.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/04/16 06:48 PM

Sweet... I love the #2s!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/04/16 06:49 PM

very nice!!!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/04/16 07:06 PM

Nice 50's 2-7. It is available.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/04/16 07:27 PM

Thanks guys, nice one Joe. Keep them coming.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/14/16 11:41 AM

My latest Model 2 4" Carbon blade with Westinghouse micarta handle. 1980's maybe? Johnson sheath has male snap hardware attached to boot/belt clip.
Posted by: desert.snake

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/14/16 12:40 PM

Beauty!
Almost miniature smile

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/14/16 01:04 PM

Late 70's is a good possibility as well Eric!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/18/16 12:57 PM

Model 2-5" with "Delrin" handle and a ton of other options!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/25/16 12:42 AM

A couple of newbies (to me) both 7" blades, both have thong holes. Both blades 1" wide. One stamped on the blade flat, one not. Here's the,question ...
Which one is oldest? They gotta be close

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/25/16 03:06 PM

The one not stamped on blade flat ?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/27/16 02:54 AM

I don't know the answer, an argument could be made for either. I beleive it stands to reason that the difficulty of fitting the stamp on the ricasso led to blade placed stamps, then to a smaller stamp. That's my guess!

*added text*
After going through a couple of books, all chain link fighters arrears stamped on the blade. So much fo my theory, huh?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/27/16 07:44 AM

The blade stamped blade was forged prior to the ricasso stamped version. Assembled? Probably prior also but not guaranteed.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/27/16 08:31 AM

If it was assembled how could it be hot stamped? Doesn’t look like any room to fit thee stamp on the ricasso.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/27/16 10:08 AM

If blade stamped blades were marked after forging, it may account for the usual "weak" strike. The first 3 stilettos weren't stamped at all

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/27/16 01:50 PM

NONE were stamped after forging. The blade stamped forging is earlier than the ricasso stamped forging.

What I was saying is it is possible the blade stamped forging was assembled after the ricasso stamped forging. Probably not, just a blade that was sitting there and got used after the switch to the thong hole. I have a couple.

Remember, RMK didn't make allot of #2's during the war.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/27/16 02:02 PM

AND.....Bo didn't particularly care whether it was "pretty" or not!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/27/16 02:04 PM

Another shot. Upside down of course......

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/27/16 03:35 PM

Since we are on subject of WWII Stiletto's ... are there any Stag double pinned ?
I know there were Fighters and Hunters made.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/27/16 03:52 PM

I would never say never, but my guess would be no. It has been guesstimated that WWII stiletto production was approximately 10% of fighter production. That being said, and knowing there are probably only 5 or less known dbl pinned stag fighters from the era, that leaves us with little if any probability one was ever made.

Plus, the stiletto came out in April 1943, 6 months after the "permanent" switch to leather handles during WWII.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/27/16 04:56 PM

I would never say never, but my guess would be no. It has been guesstimated that WWII stiletto production was approximately 10% of fighter production. That being said, and knowing there are probably only 5 or less known dbl pinned stag fighters from the era, that leaves us with little if any probability one was ever made.

Plus, the stiletto came out in April 1943, 6 months after the "permanent" switch to leather handles during WWII.

Great info , thanks crutchtip.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/27/16 06:49 PM

Crutch, any idea if one stamping location is more common than the other?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/28/16 07:12 AM

Good question wally. This is only a guess, but I would say the ricasso stamped version but it could be an insignificant difference. I think RMK became more well known as the war trudged on, thus more requests for the model 2 into 1933-45. Again, only a guess.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/10/17 01:58 PM

Playing around with another image host. Whaddya think?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/10/17 02:09 PM

Awesome piece

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/10/17 02:19 PM

Looks like ebony? Cool piece 50's something?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/10/17 02:33 PM

Warren, you have the first correct guess... it is Ebony.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/10/17 05:06 PM

hold on...did somebody say "Ebony"....

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/10/17 05:45 PM

Whoa..... A couple beauties there, but pinned Ebony? Outstanding!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/11/17 05:06 PM

Wally, your model two is absolutely beautiful !

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/12/17 04:22 AM

Thank you Fairbairn. Ebony is not the only thing going for it. It has a small stamp, some deep choils, a nickel silver hilt. The blade appears all original with absolutely no sigh of corrosion having ever been present. I'm talking myself into believing it may be stainless, but unmarked. Only 4 months to BLADE.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/13/17 06:52 PM

So, being Kinda new at this, I'm sure Ebony with a pin in it is rare, but I don't recall seeing much ebony at all. Is it a little scarce these days?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/13/17 07:25 PM

With wood being able to be dyed & the stabilization processes of today, there are a lot more options for color.
So I would guess that color plus no import fees, I.E cheaper.
Most of the wood that is all that is bought on set up day at blade. Last year all the Spalted wood & the hard to get types bigger than 1 inch square were gone early.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/13/17 07:33 PM

Not certain if ebony is sort of an endangered wood species these days. It was a shop offering if you research the older catalogs.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/13/17 08:12 PM

Ebony also had a propensity to crack.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/13/17 08:21 PM

Yes it does as I can attest to. It's very dense like Snakewood and Lignum Vitae; all will sink in water.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/13/17 11:21 PM

This one doesn't have a crack I can find.
I figured 1958, 59, I guess it could go another year one way or the other. One of my very favorite shapes for a model 2. I'll work on some more and better pics tomorrow.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/26/17 10:38 PM

Number twos

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/27/17 10:09 AM

Nice number twos. Love the pinecone!
Posted by: Boomer51

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/27/17 06:53 PM

Great looking group Wally.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/27/17 08:48 PM

Wow lot of vintage knives there is the third one from the right micarta?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/27/17 09:16 PM

#3,4,7,8 and 11 are Micarta.
1and 2 are WW2 leather.
5 is ivory.
6 is pinecone.
9 is rosewood
10 is Ebony.
Across the bottom, leather.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/01/17 04:51 PM

Is number 8 a Brown Micarta 7 spacer?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/01/17 07:43 PM

#8 is black micarta, 7 spacers, JRB with a white "Bear" SP-13. #9 is Rosewood, very nearly perfect, I think it has a yellow print stone with it. #10 is an Ebony handled deep choiled more "triangular" blade that I suspect is from around 1958, + or -, and unmarked stainless steel. I've done the cold blue test on it, it passed, so someone above my pay grade is gonna have to look at it next.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/01/17 07:46 PM

Very nice collection Wally!!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/10/17 08:41 PM

Here's a 2-7 in pretty nice shape. Late 70's/early 80's I believe. Plain salmon stone and a great fishtail handle.
Posted by: digi-shots

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/20/17 10:28 AM

It has been guesstimated that WWII stiletto production was approximately 10% of fighter production.

New poster here... some great photos & information!!

I do have a question on production figures for the model 2 that were made during the Vietnam period. Does anyone have a good guestimate as to how many were made? Actual figures or percent.

Thanks so much!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/26/17 10:56 AM

Anyone... any thoughts?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/26/17 11:03 AM

No idea Sir.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/26/17 11:38 AM

One thing I have often wondered about is what time period qualifies as the "Vietnam period" ?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/26/17 11:48 AM

I always put it at Nov. 1965 - Mar. 1973
Posted by: BladesNBarrels

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/26/17 11:54 AM

Mixed thoughts:
Vietnam War - Nov 1, 1955 – Apr 30, 1975
Vietnam: U.S. Advisors 1955-1965. The U.S. military advisory effort in Vietnam had a modest beginning in September 1950, when the United States Military Assistance Advisory Group (MAAG), Vietnam, was established in Saigon.
Vietnam era - February 28, 1961 – May 7, 1975 for Veterans who served in the Republic of Vietnam during that period
Otherwise August 5, 1964 – May 7, 1975

In September-October, 1965, it was announced to San Diego Navy Boot Camp that the war was escalating and we all were headed there.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/26/17 12:03 PM

Digi-shots,

Purely a guess, but I would say no more that 10% of military models.

The 14, 15 , 18 and model #1 were much more prevalent.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/26/17 12:06 PM

I use those dates because Nov. 1965 was the first major engagement. The peace agreement was signed in Jan. 1973 and 2 months later the last of the U.S. Combat Troops left in March of 1973.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/26/17 04:28 PM

I always put it at Nov. 1965 - Mar. 1973
I use those dates because Nov. 1965 was the first major engagement.

Maybe, but my service file contains a letter from my commandig officer stating, "You have served ... [in] the Vietnam Hostile Fire Zone. The inclusive dates ... were July 1964 to February 1965 and March 1966 to August 1966."
(The letter was the basis for getting combat pay for those periods.)

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/26/17 04:37 PM

Thanks for all the replies!

I thought the production numbers might be in line with those of WWIi... 10% or so.

I don't think the no. 2 is as popular as some of the others... others being more of an all purpose or fighting knife.

I recently got a number 2, probably made in the mid to late 1960's (based on my limited knowledge). I'll see if I can't take some pics and get them posted.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/26/17 05:41 PM

If you read Gaddis, he gives some good insight into the quantity of models ordered. In 1967 it was model 14 at 70 per month and models 1,18, and 15 around 35 to 55 each. By 1968 the 14 and 18 were both ordered at a rate of 30 to 60 per month. Models 1, 2 and 15 followed with monthly requests in the 15 to 30 range.

Obviously it varied but I think the point he was making was the shift away from "traditional" models i.e. 1 and 2 to the full tang variety as the war progressed.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/26/17 06:26 PM

Thanks, Crutchtip!

Here's a pic of the knife... Model No. 2 with 7" blade, 5 spacers and a Johnson rough back scabbard.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/26/17 09:23 PM

Here's a couple of close ups.... hopefully, the pics will help narrow down a date of manufacture.

Edit:

From reading some forum postings, it looks like the stamp is what's called "type 3" (O in Orlando is directly beneath the R in Randall; and the F is just midway beneath the M in Made). Likely dated after early 1966.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/08/17 09:46 AM

Crutchtip, can you make a guesstimate as to when my no. 2 might have been made based on stamping, color spacers and stone? All three were purchased together.

thanks!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/08/17 11:45 AM

Joe can verify, but the window is 1966-1971-ish.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/08/17 10:30 PM

One thing you have to consider when using the blade stamp to date a knife. While we can ascertain to a relatively high degree a timeline when the blade was made, there is still the Randall caveat that always has to be taken into consideration when dating RMK's.

Randall often used more that one stamp at a time, so to definitively say a knife was made prior to this date because of this stamp will not necessarily be true 100% of the time. That is a simple fact.

Also, RMK would send a worn stamp out to be re-cut, to again see use in the forge room. That is also a simple fact. So, a stamp that was used on knives we may think from an earlier time frame could also be used on knives from a later time frame.

This can cause problems using the blade stamp as the final word when used solely as the determining factor. That is the reason why it is important to consider several things when attempting to date a knife.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/09/17 01:05 PM

Just in from the Capt...THANKS!!!
#2-8" snake wood

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/09/17 03:56 PM

Really great knife Rocky; I like the scalloped hardware. I'll bet that large flanged butt cap balances that long blade nicely.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 09/09/17 09:16 PM

Warren...dead on!!
Balance is perfect!!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/28/17 01:22 PM

Model 2 4" nickel silver hilt and yellowing micarta. Baby dot snap.
Posted by: willhunt

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 04/13/19 09:31 AM

Just picked up this gorgeous model 2-4. Nickel silver reduced hilt, and black and white spacers. Just an elegant little knife. I've been told that the sheath is for a Triathlete, but the knife fits nice and snug, and seems made for it.

Posted by: James Longstreet

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 04/13/19 09:49 AM

Very nice!

This is mine, w. Thuya handle:

2-5, Thuya, 01 by Jedi, auf Flickr

2-5, Thuya, 02 by Jedi, auf Flickr
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 04/13/19 11:15 AM

Originally Posted By: willhunt
Just picked up this gorgeous model 2-4. Nickel silver reduced hilt, and black and white spacers. Just an elegant little knife. I've been told that the sheath is for a Triathlete, but the knife fits nice and snug, and seems made for it.

Ain't no way that sheath is for a triathlete.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 04/13/19 11:35 AM

Nice 2-4's.

I think that is a type of Model 24 sheath.
Posted by: Stevejr454

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 04/13/19 11:29 PM

Here is a picture of my number 2. It has an 8” blade, and it’s wearing a #14 handle with a black unsnapped sheath.
Posted by: Lori

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/07/20 08:34 PM

Thought I would add my 2-7 to this thread. Received this Friday from the Captain!
Posted by: Shoot870p

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/07/20 08:42 PM

Very nice pics.
Walker

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/05/20 08:47 PM

My model 2-8 I recently received.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/06/20 03:19 PM

Lori
That's the one you won, correct?
Looks good for sure.
Thanks
Walker

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/06/20 05:39 PM

No Sir.Go one page back to see the one that I won. But remember I just won the handle material.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/06/20 07:17 PM

I remember now! Thanks for spinning me up on that.
Walker

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/06/20 10:59 PM

Lori
You won that little sister 2-7 lime green
wow
Like em both
Green with envy
Sharpi

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/06/20 11:54 PM

Sharpi, Lori won the block of NASA jade micarta. Then, she sat down with Capt. Stanaback and spec'd out the knife she wanted. I didn't have anything to do with what she picked out, Lori did it all on her own. I think she made a great choice! We're both very fond of #2s.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/09/20 05:03 PM

Here is a gorgeous Model 2-8 with pinned stag. And the Heiser sheath looks like new. Thanks to Mitchell for this one.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/09/20 05:15 PM

Will hunt, that knife is absolutely Beautiful!! I am so in Love with Your Knife.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/09/20 05:17 PM

Thank you Lori. It is a jewel in my collection for sure.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/09/20 05:27 PM

Agree w/Lori.... Pretty much a Show Stopper!!!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/09/20 05:33 PM

It looks like you just returned in the time machine.
That is in great condition, and is a true gem.
Good find!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/09/20 05:34 PM

Oh yeah!!! Lori, yours is Top Shelf as well!!!
Posted by: Salty Cracker

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/09/20 05:43 PM

That's a great looking #2...outstanding!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/09/20 05:53 PM

Thanks Steve! But, there's nothing better than an older 2 from the 50's in that wide pocket flap Heiser, with translucent bottoms, and pinned stag!!! They don't make like that anymore!!! Dream knife for sure!
Posted by: nate-dogg

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/09/20 08:31 PM

Pretty sure that is the nicest model 2 I have ever seen.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/09/20 08:42 PM

I always smile when you share that knife Bill. It is a great piece. You should get us a new family shot. Your pinned stag collection is world class sir.
Posted by: LarryWW1246

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/09/20 10:03 PM

So...my question...WillHunt, is "How could anyone let that go?"

Larry

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/10/20 05:33 PM

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. I thought these two made a fine pair. 2-8 and a 4-7

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/11/20 10:41 PM

Nice Pair
Makes me salivate
Need some back strap to go with them
Sharpi

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/14/20 06:28 PM

This is the second early Christmas present from the shop by way of the Capt.

Dennis

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/14/20 06:49 PM

I have been hanging on to this sheath for a while waiting on the right knife. I think this one works.

Dennis

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/14/20 07:09 PM

Great get, Love that wood & butt cap!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/14/20 09:38 PM

Dennis, another beauty for sure. You made a nice set with them.
Walker

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/14/20 11:32 PM

THIS is a COMPLETE package! I LOVE IT!!!
Posted by: GCTom41

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/15/20 06:10 AM

Dennis,

Like Chief said and looks great in combo with that sheath!

Tom Flynn
Posted by: coachblalock

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/15/20 12:03 PM

They are both Awesome, Dennis!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/15/20 12:50 PM

Dennis that is beautiful!! I love it!!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/15/20 02:28 PM

NICE one, Dennis!
I was at the Randall Shop several decades ago--when there were knives in the display case--and saw a cute Model #2-4" with a boot sheath, and I had to buy it. Looks like the boot sheath design has changed a bit over the years:

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/15/20 02:49 PM

Here's yet a different sheath I saw on the Clinton website some time ago:

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/15/20 06:04 PM

Owww that's a beauty, you know I love 2s!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/16/20 03:50 PM

I bought the sheath from Steve Zimmerman about 10 years ago. I've been looking for the right knife for it.When you grip the knife your index finger goes right to the release. Any info on the sheath would be much appreciated.

Dennis

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/17/20 09:49 AM

Dennis,
Does the Gutcher sheath stamp have FKCC on it?
Ho-Ho, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/17/20 02:34 PM

No Capt. it does not. there are no marking on the back.

Dennis

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/17/20 02:46 PM

It was not uncommon for Greg to make non-catalog sheath styles for RMK's...ESPECIALLY before the fire and Greg's nearing retirement era. The "Tampa-Oval" stamp was used a good, long time, even after the shop had moved to Odessa. Shortly after the move, new leather stamps were made, indicating the new location.
Danny Gutcher may add more to this but it simply looks as though a customer "special-ordered" it from Greg...in the old shop.
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/17/20 03:57 PM

Here's a comparison of the two stamps--oval Tampa and square Odessa.
Posted by: Duke

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/17/20 06:01 PM

I picked up this #2 and sheath in the last couple years from another member here. I really like both a lot. It works great for carrying in a concealed situation. The index finger goes naturally to the snap when withdrawing.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/17/20 06:18 PM

Very nice Duke!! Never seen a Johnson stamp like that one. Good get, for sure!

Pap
Posted by: rodbrown

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/17/20 06:51 PM

Duke
I agree with Pappy. Never seen a stamp like that. Great looking knife!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/18/20 01:27 AM

Thanks Capt. and Steve for the info. Capt. does the FKCC that you asked about stand for
Florida Knife Collectors Club?
Duke. A very interesting arrangement on that Johnson sheath. Never heard of a "sheathery" before. Cool Stamp.

Dennis

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/12/21 10:14 AM

gonna start posting some more stuff to increase activity on this site. Here for your perusal is a neat 2-5"

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/12/21 10:31 AM

Very nice, indeed.
Walker
Posted by: dirtyharriett

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/12/21 01:29 PM

big +1 on the more posting and thanks for sharing...

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/12/21 05:36 PM

Beautiful #2 Joe!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/12/21 05:53 PM

That is a NICE #2 !!!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/12/21 05:59 PM

On a scale of 1 - 10, I would say it's a 20. grin

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/13/21 08:05 AM

WoW!!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/14/21 01:52 AM

That is one great looking 2, no doubt!!!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/14/21 05:47 PM

Here's one that gets my blood pumping, from the Robert L. Gaddis collection...

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/14/21 06:17 PM

Appears you are suffering from the same malady Wally.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/14/21 08:56 PM

WWII Wide Blade #2. Not the widest, but definitely a bit more than "standard". Rarer than hen's teeth. Nice patina on the blade. Obviously a carried piece. It is available.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/14/21 11:28 PM

I acquired this one in 2007 and it has always been in a zipper case except for cleaning and handling so the color has not changed.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/15/21 07:49 AM

Tom -

Your knife is much too late to be Westinghouse "Ivorite", by about 15-20 years. I don't think subsequent materials used by the shop are prone to darkening like the original Westinghouse material, at least not to the same degree.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/15/21 08:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Wally
Here's one that gets my blood pumping, from the Robert L. Gaddis collection...

Here's Wally's
That is too cool Wally, the business card adds so much to the total package. Great get...

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/15/21 10:39 AM

Tom,
That stiletto is bone linen micarta, I believe. It will not change in color...or at least none has over the past 13+ years since I introduced it.
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris
PS: Great looking Model #2!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/15/21 11:28 AM

Joe & Capt. Chris,

Appreciate your comments. It was my impression the handle material was the shop supplied AGM and would darken over time if exposed to too much sunlight similar to the Westinghouse "Ivorite". I never considered Bone Linen Micarta. I think it is amazing how the color can look so different with different lighting and background. Bone Linen Micarta, never too late to learn something new about these knives.grin

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/15/21 12:03 PM

Thank you Michael! Lori knows how to do this on the desktop now, maybe she can teach this old dawg a new trick soon.
Posted by: Billy Poyner

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/15/21 01:10 PM

Here's a 2-7 AGM I've had since 2008

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/15/21 11:37 PM

Here is My 2-8 that belonged to Paul Gilday, and his nickname was "Gillis". I am not sure if I have posted before, and I did not go back and look. Sorry Guys if it is a duplicate!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/16/21 10:05 AM

You can see the natural leather color coming through the logo stamp on back of the sheath. It indicates the sheath left the Johnson leather shop black. 7 spacer knives with shop made black sheathes are a good thing!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/18/21 08:52 AM

Here is a cool one with ebony handle

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/18/21 10:56 AM

Awesome!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/18/21 11:19 AM

That is a beauty in Ebony!

Tom Flynn

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/18/21 11:34 AM

This a form of “eye candy”.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/18/21 01:02 PM

Was on eBay....sold.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/18/21 07:49 PM

Never seen a flanged butt with a black finish -I assume that was never a shop finish option? Nice knife either way.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/18/21 08:52 PM

Boomer, you remember that brass blackening stuff in a little bottle you got at the PX, to touch up rank or belt buckles, or whatever? Anyway, that's what it looks like to me.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/18/21 09:07 PM

Wally, I think Birchwood-Casey offered a product in a 2 oz bottle, called "Brass Black". We used it on replica custom-made longrifles to add "patina" to the brass furniture on them. Regular liquid gun blue would also blacken brass.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/18/21 09:23 PM

That is a stainless nut, so bluing will not work. I have never heard of bluing working on brass, only ferrous metals.

Apparently it is some type of "paint" or some other/similar compound like Wally suggested.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/18/21 09:51 PM

I was wondering the same thing Wally. Just wasn’t sure if the shop would do something like that on an order back then.
I still use this stuff from time to time and it works well on brass. Don’t know that it would work on a SS nut though. Might have to experiment some.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/25/21 07:23 PM

I got this #2 5” from Gary Clinton. Gary guessed it was from the 80’s during the experimental years. Ivory Micarta insert has yellowed. Recessed pommel nut. Sheath is not original to knife.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/25/21 09:26 PM

Eric -

I gotta check and refresh my memory, and I may be wrong on this one, but the switch to the small tang nuts IIRC was early to mid 90's.

On the that note, what do you mean "recessed pommel nut"?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/25/21 10:14 PM

Joe, I meant it looks counter sinked.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/26/21 08:51 PM

Along with the picture of the miniature #2 that Michael Mason posted for me on pg 55, (Thanks Mike) I was fortunate enough to acquire this catalog. The handwritten message from Bo Randall to Bob Gaddis indicates Bo finding it on a summer trip to the Lake Walloon home, and then sending the pamphlet to Bob Gaddis for study/information on the book he was writing at the time, now regarded as "the Bible" among collectors. It is a 1959 catalog in nearly mint condition. Bo also noted "B4 Zip came along" on the lower right corner. I think it's pretty neat.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/26/21 08:56 PM

Mini #2

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/26/21 09:17 PM

57 years between the two knives, for a comparison of then, and now. 1963- 2020

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/27/21 08:04 PM

Here's a corrected image, Wally.

Dragged it off the page, and emailed it to myself. Chose large file size, which reduced it from 1.5MB to about 450kb. So, now it will show up in your/my post.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 02/27/21 09:35 PM

Thank you Buck. Lori knows how to do all this on our desktop, but I'm still firing at random.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/01/21 07:42 AM

Wally,

Great Mini#2

Tom Flynn

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/01/21 12:24 PM

Eric, Wally, Buck, thanks for posting all of these #2-5” AND the extra historical accoutrements, Wally. They’re all so artistically beautiful, not to mention deadly functional in their design, even if only to open the mail. It’s cool to see these together to see the subtle (& not so subtle) differences exactly as these custom built knives should be. An early (70’s??) #2-5” is the only one that I own and the perfect way that it feels in hand is just outstanding.
Again, thanks for posting gentlemen.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/01/21 09:44 PM

I acquired this Model 2-5" recently. Not as old as the previous entries. It has a nickel-silver butt plate. If the sheath is original to the knife, then its post-1995 production.

Neat little envelope-opener, I guess.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/02/21 08:28 AM

That is a great knife!

Tom Flynn

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/02/21 09:02 AM

Neat little letter opener!!!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 03/02/21 01:53 PM

Tom, that would look good in your collection.
Posted by: Gert

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 05/31/21 06:10 AM

For your visual enjoyment: a Nr 2 I just received. Matches the Nr 1 I posted on the Nr. 1 page.

7" blade, Nickel silver guard and pommel, aluminum/black spacers, and a shop supplied walnut handle. And what a lovely piece of wood it is

Waxed sheath, that matches the handle most nicely.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/15/21 09:25 PM

The Brown Micarta #2 was posted by Mitchell, on page one of this thread, 13 years ago!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/15/21 09:37 PM

Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.....

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/15/21 09:50 PM

Yeah, that's a good beer-and-handshake story.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/16/21 03:30 PM

Buck, I love your Narwhal 2-5! It's a beauty!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/29/21 06:47 PM

Both added this year...

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/30/21 07:02 AM

Wow nice Two's there!

Tom Flynn
Posted by: 32Craig

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/09/21 06:13 PM

I received this #2-8" recently from Clinton Knives.
Stainless Steel, Brass Double Hilt, RWB Spacers, Stag,
Brass Butt Plate, Wrist Thong, Waxed Sheath

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/09/21 07:41 PM

Neat package. Like the stag especially.

Larry

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/09/21 10:07 PM

Looks good, Craig.
Walker

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/10/21 10:29 AM

Great looking knife.
Needed resizing.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/11/21 08:21 PM

Nice model 2 Craig!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/14/21 09:35 AM

love my 2's!!!

Posted by: nate-dogg

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/14/21 04:34 PM

That stag with 7 spacers is nice!
Here's my 2-4

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/14/21 04:57 PM

reduced hilt #2.....interesting...the only reduced hilt I have is an old grind Trout & Bird....they are interesting....

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/14/21 05:42 PM

Here is another reduced hilt 2-4. My daughter has her eye on this one. LOL.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/14/21 09:28 PM

Those are all very nice!
Walker
Posted by: DoubleW

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/29/21 10:07 AM

2-6, NS, Stag

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 11/29/21 11:29 AM

Nice setup.
Walker

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 01/24/22 03:32 PM

My SS 2-4 from Clinton Knives

TEST PIC on resizing app...It works!!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 01/24/22 07:17 PM

Wonder who fluted that horn?

Larry

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 01/24/22 07:29 PM

That material was supplied by Tom Clinton

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/16/22 08:47 PM

For History's sake, and to show that these "2" knives remain in this small community, you may find them on page 1 of this thread from 13 years ago.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/16/22 08:52 PM

Indeed!!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/16/22 09:14 PM

That may be the oldest sheath I know of without a stone pocket.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/17/22 07:29 AM

Hummmmmm...I never looked at it that way...

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/17/22 04:25 PM

Here's one with an unusual sheath.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/18/22 01:30 AM

I’ve put this one in here befor, p.#53, but here it is again. Similar sheathes I think. I really like this knife and the sheath. It fits the knife tightly, very snug and comfortable, and especially so if I don’t want it showing. Also the 5” #2 is, to me, perfect carry size.
Wish these pics were better. Please, anyone, feel free to resize these pictures to normal human size and I’ll be grateful.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/18/22 05:41 PM

I'll add 2 more here...I may have posted these before, BUT who cares...

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/18/22 09:10 PM

2=7 SS-AGM

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/18/22 10:02 PM

Love all of those. Billy is that one the first time for show? It is a beauty.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/18/22 10:45 PM

Lori
I've had it for a while. I was gonna display 2's this year
but I knew Wally would try to talk me out of the AGM

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/19/22 05:36 PM

Whaddya lookin for outta the #2 Billy?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/19/22 06:10 PM

If it was for sale you'd have first shot at it

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/19/22 06:37 PM

Here's one I have had for 15+ years.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/19/22 06:47 PM

This is the oldest one I have, Late 70's early 80's, Shop supplied Rosewood. It has a different buffed finish when compared to the newer ones.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 07/21/22 02:37 PM

Tom
Nice 2's I've had my AGM since 08.Almost as long as
you've had yours

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/01/22 08:31 PM

We need some model 2 Activity!
Left to right, A mini that was in the personal collection of Bob Gaddis. it includes a letter from Bo discussing some of the points about the knife. the small slipcase of the day is stamped only with the numeral 2 and has a business card from Bob Gaddis folded and stored in the slipcase.
The second knife was recently acquired, advertised as a 2-4, the blade is only 3 and 3\16ths long, very close to the dimensions of the first mini.
third is a full size 2-4, the first knife I ordered for myself, with help from Gary Clinton. Fossil Walrus handle.

Small knives, but a big deal to me!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/01/22 10:03 PM

Very nice.

That 2-4 with RDH gives me some ideas.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/02/22 12:49 AM

Like that FWI for sure!
Walker

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/04/22 09:54 PM

Thanks Rob and Walker.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/06/22 01:56 PM

I may have posted this before. If I did, here it is again.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/06/22 02:01 PM

TTB...I remember the gun....not too sure about the knives...

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/06/22 02:06 PM

here's one I sold for my dad some years back....I actually got it back, then sold it again.....no home for Randalls

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/08/22 06:07 PM

2-7 that we scored at Blade this Year

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/08/22 08:31 PM

Same knife as above. Ivory, Heiser brown button and glove snap, and a pristine fishook stone. It's a time capsule!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/10/22 02:56 PM

Wow, Wally and Lori. Both y’all’s photo and your #2 are amazing works of art. I’d so much love to hold it in my hand for awhile. It just looks like it would feel at least 1/2 as good as it looks. I do love #2’s.
Thanks so much for posting guys.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/10/22 09:35 PM

Thanks Duke. You are right, it does feel awsome in your hand. It feels like a good solid chain link from the early 40's. It is more cigar shaped than commando shaped.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/13/22 03:39 PM

Tiny Two?

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/13/22 05:35 PM

Take it off your hands and you'll pay me $100??!!?? For you, I'll take it for half that!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/13/22 06:17 PM

Button up your shirt, before your heart falls out!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/14/22 09:18 AM

Wally,
Are there any "initials" on the knife? (Like a "W"?)
Nice, Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 08/14/22 09:56 AM

No initials. (insert your favorite word here) on another forum Jeff McCartney said he recognized the knife and remembered building it, that he "got into a lot of trouble" mixing up spacers.Now, if I could just find out about this one..

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 05/09/23 12:17 AM

This is a neat pair I think. Both of these knives are double SS marked, and when the "knife of the week" thread started, both of them were pictured on page 1 of the thread. I want to say that was about 16 years ago. They haven't changed much, but the patina on the brass of the brown micarta example is a bit darker. Neat, almost Ironic they were on page one here, and came together 16 years later.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 05/09/23 01:22 AM

Wally. You and Lori are the King and Queen of #2.

Dennis

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 05/09/23 01:52 AM

Not by a long shot! But we do appreciate the sentiments!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 05/09/23 11:17 AM

A 2 in stag & butt plate.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 05/09/23 02:28 PM

nice!!!

Posted by: MCM

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 05/13/23 03:31 PM

New favorite 2-7

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 05/13/23 09:30 PM

Good looking!
Walker

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/17/23 03:10 PM

Gathered together over the past two or three years

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/17/23 09:58 PM

Good looking family.
Walker

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/18/23 09:39 AM

I need a sticker like this, for the back of my car.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/18/23 11:16 AM

There you go! I like that.
Walker

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/18/23 11:28 AM

A 2-7 in burl!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/18/23 07:49 PM

Mama, daughter, and baby:

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/19/23 04:51 PM

Here we go!!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/19/23 05:38 PM

WOW!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/20/23 09:43 AM

WOW is right!

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/20/23 09:53 AM

Nice! Very nice.
Walker
Posted by: Uncle Mike

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 06/20/23 10:51 AM

Hi, That's awesome!, regards, Mike

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/03/23 02:27 PM

Recently delivered RMK #2-7

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/03/23 10:44 PM

Very nice.
Shoot870p

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/04/23 09:08 AM

Nice knife Craig. Is that resin ivory I see?
Stay Sharp,
Capt. Chris

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/04/23 01:53 PM

Hello Captain, Yes Resin+S, Gary Clinton helped me with this one, I am happy with this product, I am not sure about durability but it looks great in person, I do have trouble photographing it accurately.

Re: Knife of the Week!!!!!!!! Model 2 - 12/04/23 06:59 PM

Scott,

What is the handle material on your black handled #2?