Question

Posted by: Jim_Schroeder

Question - 01/22/22 04:00 PM

Is Nordic Knives no longer a Randall dealer?
Posted by: oldguy

Re: Question - 01/22/22 04:29 PM

Last I heard they are still a dealer. Not much stock but most dealers don’t have any spares for stock right now, they are still taking orders. oldguy
Posted by: 505Gibbs

Re: Question - 01/22/22 04:29 PM

Unless something has VERY dramatically changed quite recently - YES, they still are.
They did leave California about 2-3 years ago though. Do a Google - they should pop up!
They're in Boise, Id. now!
Posted by: rodbrown

Re: Question - 01/22/22 04:47 PM

Still have a website. I just checked.
Posted by: pappy19

Re: Question - 01/22/22 05:39 PM

Nordic is most definitely a Randall dealer. They get in their monthly orders regularly and take orders as well. Great folks to work with.

Pap
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Question - 01/22/22 05:56 PM

How many dealers are in Idaho now?

Re: Question - 01/22/22 07:35 PM

Nordic is the only one I know of. Why do you think there are more?

Pap

Re: Question - 01/22/22 07:50 PM

https://nordicknives.com/

Click on their menu and Randall knives in stock, and they currently have 3 in stock.

Pap
Posted by: Jim_Schroeder

Re: Question - 01/23/22 04:00 PM

I have bought, sold and traded Randall knives with Dave Harvey since he moved to Boise. The reason for my question was that for a number of months he has shown almost no inventory. Most of what he does show is used knives not new from the shop. For years he always listed 20 to 25 new knives all the time.
Posted by: Peter_Kaufman

Re: Question - 01/23/22 04:28 PM

It seems like most of the dealers that usually have stock on their websites are receiving so many orders that they have no slots left for knives to place on their websites.
There are two major dealers that I have ordered from in the past that state this on their web sites.
I think the demand for Randall knives at this time exceeds the number that are available.
Your best bet may be to contact the dealer of your choice and place an order.
This seems to be the case for some other brands of knives, similar to the difficulty of getting guns and ammo

Peter
Posted by: CrazyCajun

Re: Question - 01/23/22 04:58 PM

Spot on Peter! Markets are hot right now on knives guns ammo vehicles groceries. All my bare essentials!!!!!!
Posted by: Buck Buchanan

Re: Question - 01/23/22 07:35 PM

Jim,

I believe the new media sources like Instagram and Facebook are driving the demand for Randalls. Facebook alone has four or five Randall specific Groups. My favorite is the "Randall Knife Collector" the "Ramrod" is Mitchell Harrison.

"Randall B/S/T was started by Joel Hilbert, and has about 5.7K members. A dozen or so Randall Models are sold everyday. They are very strict about the "rules of the house". If you display hostile behavior, your membership is terminated. If you display a knife that is not a Randall, the post is deleted.

You look at these four or five groups and you will see a lot of trading, and buying, but except for "Randall Knife Collector", not much education, not much history, not much in reference material like we have here.

Michael Mason & I earnestly try to encourage folks to come over to Knife Talk Forums and bask in all the reference material we have and join in on the different threads, but its like pulling teeth, it seems like.

I get the feeling we're the "old guys" and while we enjoy the banter and the "conversations" on the threads, we're somehow behind the times.

Over there on Facebook & Instagram, everything is fast-paced, and folks are asking questions easily answered by the online RMK Catalog, but they don't want to waste time looking at the catalog.

The resources here like "Knives of the week Models 1-28" have so much to offer new people that want to customize, say, a Model 1. Here they can peruse 81 pages of comments and photographs and seek out a dealer and order it. But that crowd doesn't see the value of KTF.

Jim, I really believe these other media outlets are responsible for reducing dealer offerings on their websites. There's a feller over there that buys a dozen Randalls from two dealers. My first order this year will be here in two weeks. Of the 30 knives coming, only four are for my inventory. The rest are customer orders.

Better git off the soapbox before folks start dozing.
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Question - 01/23/22 07:42 PM

...for the "ENTIRE MONTH"...I have "5" RMKs to list...Used to be 30-35...
Stay Sharp, Capt. Chris
PS: Of the "5" one went up on my site yesterday and another today. Less than 60 seconds and both were gone...CCS
Posted by: tunefink

Re: Question - 01/23/22 07:54 PM

Buck, new is not wrong. Just different. 25 years ago when I bought my first new Randall I had no clue. I have little clue now.... but there is a percentage of those fast and furious traders on FB and IG that will become long time collectors, as I did.

The ease of posting and relying on those platforms makes this one less desirable. Mobile devices are even more critical. The software here is 12-15 years old.

Like it or not.... that's where the action is.

Re: Question - 01/23/22 07:55 PM

Yep, the sign of the times. Dealers are swamped with monthly orders with little or no extra for inventory. Been this way for nearly year or more. Buy 'em when you find 'em.

Pap
Posted by: BladesNBarrels

Re: Question - 01/24/22 08:54 AM

When Ebay was first getting popular in the early 2000's, Randall knives made a big surge in prices and demand. New collectors joined the demand and found the Randall Knife Society and KnifeTalkForums.
I think Facebook has provided a similar surge and has found a new set of collectors that crave the instant response and fast pace.
Photos are easy to post on Facebook, and it appears that a number of users have instant notification of any new posts.
Tim Cameron, who helped Tom Clinton at his tables for over 20 years, used to tell me stories about Tom piling Randalls on his tables like cord wood in the 70's.
Then the cycle changed and when I helped Rick Ward at his tables, Rick and Tom Clinton would set times for each of them to have a drawing for the right to buy a knife. The attraction was that they both sold at Catalog prices while others were getting prices well above catalog.
Times change, Technology changes, and the cycle repeats.

Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Question - 01/24/22 09:14 AM

Originally Posted By: tunefink
The ease of posting and relying on those platforms makes this one less desirable. Mobile devices are even more critical. The software here is 12-15 years old.

That's evident, just in the hassle of posting pictures on this site...

Re: Question - 01/24/22 10:10 AM

I use a 40% resizer and never have a problem posting pictures.

Pap
Posted by: LarryWW1246

Re: Question - 01/24/22 11:27 AM

I think somebody already posted about this...

I use the phone to make photos, then email them to the computer.

The phone (Outlook in this case) asks if I want to resize, and I select that option.

From the email on the computer, I copy to photos to whatever folder.

The photos are small enough to post here, no problem.

And the images are as good as I need for anything else.

Larry

Re: Question - 01/24/22 11:50 AM

I do that all on my Android.

Pap
Posted by: JerryG

Re: Question - 01/24/22 12:12 PM

What app are you resizing with pappy?

Re: Question - 01/24/22 01:51 PM

It's called "Photo and Picture Resizer" a free app. Used it for years. It let's you rename the resized photo which is very handy for me as I don't have to remember some big number.

Pap
Posted by: RUTROW

Re: Question - 01/24/22 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Buck Buchanan

The resources here like "Knives of the week Models 1-28" have so much to offer new people that want to customize, say, a Model 1. Here they can peruse 81 pages of comments and photographs and seek out a dealer and order it. But that crowd doesn't see the value of KTF.

99.9% of stuff I've learned is from "Knives of the week Models 1-28"
its great
(but I wish there was part for the triathlete)

Re: Question - 01/24/22 07:17 PM

Kelly--

You mean for the Non-Catalogue models?

The Model 12-9/14 looks to be the only one of them that has a thread called "Knife of the Week."

Larry
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Question - 01/24/22 07:48 PM

I suppose anyone that wanted to create a "knife of the week" thread could do so....one of the mods would "tie it" to it's own thread....start one for the triathlete...simple

:-)Rocky
Posted by: RUTROW

Re: Question - 01/24/22 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryWW1246
Kelly--

You mean for the Non-Catalogue models?

The Model 12-9/14 looks to be the only one of them that has a thread called "Knife of the Week."

Larry

looks like one of the thread entries (by Tom Welch) has a list of specific threads of every knife including non catalogue just no tri.....no prob tho, I just use the search engine to find the threads

Re: Question - 01/25/22 05:04 PM

Thanks for pushing me to look back at the overall list!

Memory did not say that there were as many models there as are posted.

Larry
Posted by: GHD

Re: Question - 01/26/22 08:26 PM

Nordic just added some new Randall's today, Wed 1/26/22

Re: Question - 02/11/22 12:45 PM

Nordic has some nicely optioned Randalls on their website this morning.

Pap
Posted by: DoubleW

Re: Question - 03/01/22 09:11 AM

They’re absolutely still a Randall dealer. I order 2-3 Randall’s a year from them and service is top notch! Dave is a good dude. I can’t recommend them highly enough.