Need some expert help "Please"

Posted by: OzzyDave

Need some expert help "Please" - 10/25/21 10:10 AM

Need to forget the story as I went back and listen to the 5 hours of nans words, I wrote wrong dates, time line. I took a bit from here there, so my total screw up.

I am trying to get an idea of its date. When it might of been made?? dont care about value, just what time period this might of been made.

[img:center]https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=743550289939135&set=pcb.743539863273511[/img]
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Need some expert help "Please" - 10/25/21 11:57 AM

Looks like a Smithsonian 12.

Compared to the horror story you described, it looks nicely cleaned up.
Posted by: GHD

Re: Need some expert help "Please" - 10/25/21 05:07 PM

The dates may be wrong, but it's still your Grandfathers knife, enjoy it.
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Need some expert help "Please" - 10/25/21 08:21 PM

Dave,
Interesting "story"..."BUT"...(There goes that word again)...it doesn't "match" the history of this design for the period you are talking about.
Bo saw the movie, "The Iron Mistress" in 1952 and "until" that point had "never made" a Bowie of this size or weight. (Gaddis). In late 1952 to early 1953 Bill Platts and Bo worked together from a 5x7 inch photo, enlarged from a frame of film in the Iron Mistress and came up with the #12, HEAVY (Or Smithsonian Bowie) as it is known today.
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Need some expert help "Please" - 10/25/21 08:50 PM

I was waiting for this...I was also of the thought that the grind did not match the time line, however I don't know enough to pontificate correctly...I was thinking a bit younger than the original post

:-)Rocky

Re: Need some expert help "Please" - 10/26/21 01:50 AM

Capt Chris, thank you.
Mate "BUT" here is that word, I went back and listen to the tapes I made of Nan's storys, like 5 hours just on this knife in a long way round.

I screwed up on dates and time totally. was not the 40's was mid 50's early 60's maybe, nan was 92, but pretty good in the head and memory.

Are you able to from the original shape of the blade and what was left of the mark give me an idea of a maybe closer to time it was made.

I wanted to put a story to it for the Grandkids one day to read and enjoy.

Thank you for taking the time to explain mate, appreciate it.
Dave
Posted by: LarryWW1246

Re: Need some expert help "Please" - 10/26/21 08:18 AM

Dave--

Enjoyed the story.

Question: Are the photos of the knife in its early days or were they made after you worked on it?

Larry
Posted by: BladesNBarrels

Re: Need some expert help "Please" - 10/26/21 10:18 AM

Guess I came too late to the party
What story?
Posted by: rodbrown

Re: Need some expert help "Please" - 10/26/21 10:40 AM

Originally Posted By: BladesNBarrels
What story?

David
Read the link in the initial post.
Posted by: crutchtip

Re: Need some expert help "Please" - 10/26/21 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: rodbrown
Originally Posted By: BladesNBarrels
What story?

David
Read the link in the initial post.

only link goes to photos.
Posted by: rodbrown

Re: Need some expert help "Please" - 10/26/21 02:45 PM

David and Joe
Apologies. The whole story was there a while ago. I guess the OP deleted it.
Posted by: thevalueman

Re: Need some expert help "Please" - 10/26/21 03:01 PM

yep, it was there, and a good story, even if the dates were off a bit...hopefully you have it saved, and can post it you here again
btw...beautiful job on the restoration!!

:-)Rocky

Re: Need some expert help "Please" - 10/26/21 10:54 PM

Larry.
Nan's tape says she thinks they were taken mid to late 60's. After Nam. Pop had been using it for a spell by then then the handle got broken and he change how he used it, it became use it for everything. I think that is the right time line from the tapes.

Thanks
dave.
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Need some expert help "Please" - 10/31/21 09:56 AM

Here is an early example of Maurice Johnson's work, as well as as tell-tale signs of an early Vietnam-Era Smitty. Outta' The Captain's STASH. Notice the "R"-UP sheath stamp, the "high" blade stamp and, oh yeah, "5" wides on stag!
Hope this helps,
Capt. Chris

Re: Need some expert help "Please" - 10/31/21 11:50 AM

http://www.rmkcollector.com/the-randall-collector/a-johnson-sheath-footnote-part-iii

Re: Need some expert help "Please" - 11/10/21 01:17 PM

Here are a few photos of a Stockman sheath. One author has incorrectly identified these maybe a couple of hundred sheaths (at most) as from a mystery maker, and RMK stamped sheaths from the period are the Stockman sheaths. Nothing could be further from the truth. The RMK stamped sheaths from the period, roughly 1959-62, are in fact Heiser-Keyston-Lichthenberger sheaths. Stockman sheaths were supplied intermittently as a stop gap, are unmarked, and of lesser quality than both HKL and Johnson.