My first Randall Knife

Posted by: militarytorch

My first Randall Knife - 02/20/21 03:48 PM

I have never had a Randall knife but was always interested.
I was at a store that was closing and had to make a 15 second decision.

After bringing it home I spent few hours researching it but couldn't find the same knife in the same configuration.

I think judging by the spacers and the "Randall made" buttons on the sheath I think this knife is somewhere from 1997.

Blade is stainless steel (because it is S marked?)

I am curious what this knife is, date and why I can't find similar pictures
Posted by: Dirty_Water

Re: First Randall Knife - 02/20/21 03:58 PM

It's a beauty is what it is!!

Model #1-7" (the 7 on the back of the sheath is the length of the blade in this instance)
Stainless Steel blade
Commando Black Micarta handle with a Brass Butt cap

Logo buttons since 1995
Posted by: coachblalock

Re: First Randall Knife - 02/20/21 04:09 PM

You did good!

Good get!
Posted by: tglassco

Re: My first Randall Knife - 02/20/21 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: militarytorch
After bringing it home I spent few hours researching it but couldn't find the same knife in the same configuration.

That's because yours is a little different handle configuration when compared to many others. That is a very nice knife and looks great with that handle configuration, you made the right decision to get it. It's also the beauty of Hand Crafted Knives that can be customized to a reasonable extent.
Posted by: Windsor

Re: My first Randall Knife - 02/20/21 06:42 PM

Whoever ordered the knife had enough sense to change the butt to brass and sheath to black to match the black micarta handle.

Hat-tip to whoever that was.

Nice configuration.
Posted by: CrazyCajun

Re: My first Randall Knife - 02/20/21 08:25 PM

A Bute and a Brute! Great Grab!!!
Posted by: LarryWW1246

Re: My first Randall Knife - 02/21/21 08:22 AM

Just in case you are comparing your knife to the Model 1 in the catalogue...

The reason it does not look like the Model 1 in the catalogue is because whoever ordered it paid extra to get Stainless Steel (standard is tool steel), Black Micarta Handle (standard is leather), and the Brass Butt Cap (standard is Duralumin). They also asked for the Commando Handle shape (no additional charge) instead of the standard straight handle.

They also paid extra to get the Black Sheath.

You got a nice knife!

Larry
Posted by: Shoot870p

Re: My first Randall Knife - 02/21/21 12:25 PM

Very nice catch for sure.
Walker

Re: My first Randall Knife - 02/21/21 04:30 PM

Thank you very much for your replies. I am learning a lot.

What year do you think the knife was made?

Also, I am curious if the same exact knife was made today would it have the same value as the knife made say 20 years ago?
Posted by: Windsor

Re: My first Randall Knife - 02/21/21 10:30 PM

That's the good news and the (somewhat) bad news.

good news: 20yrs ago the price was lower, but a 20yo knife will likely sell for close to today's prices, especially if it's been well taken care of as this one appears.

semi-bad news: A 20yo RMK is relatively young in the bigger picture, so it doesn't command a particular premium over new knives.

Re: My first Randall Knife - 02/22/21 12:23 AM

Thank you Rob, it makes sense.
I collect bayonets and knife collecting outside of military is all new to me.
For me it was an impulse buy at $550
I think it is about the price of a new one, plus 5 years of awaiting period.
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: My first Randall Knife - 02/22/21 08:51 AM

$600 is what it books for today. I don't think this knife would sell for any less as "all" hardware, blade and sheaths marking are all exactly the same as a brand new one.
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Buck Buchanan

Re: My first Randall Knife - 02/23/21 12:44 PM

Militarytorch,

After the 1990's (or even earlier), its hard to pinpoint the year of production. Very little changes occur on the knife itself. That's what makes Randall Knives classic.

Sometimes, changes in the sheath, if original to the knife, can pinpoint to a range of years that the sheath exhibited that particular characteristic. For example, I believe the thread material changed for a few years in the late nineties (1997-1999?). So a knife having that sheath could be said to have been made in those years.

I'll have to rely on Scott or Captain Chris for identifying those years. You got a worthwhile purchase and investment.

To see more examples of the Model 1, look at the threads in this sub-forum, "Randall Made Knives", and click on "Knives of the week - #1-#28", then click on "RMK #1", and view over 75 pages of Model 1's in various configurations. This thread started 12 years ago and is continuing constantly.

Re: My first Randall Knife - 02/24/21 12:34 PM

Thank you very much,
I will check it out.

Re: My first Randall Knife - 02/27/21 12:58 AM

Forgot to ask how to store the knife. In or out of the sheath?

Thank you
Posted by: Duke

Re: My first Randall Knife - 02/27/21 01:06 AM

Never store your knife in the sheath. Really nice knife.
Posted by: aaron

Re: My first Randall Knife - 02/27/21 01:51 AM

Congratulations on your first Randall!