BLADE SHOW STATUS: Then & NOW!!

Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

BLADE SHOW STATUS: Then & NOW!! - 06/25/20 03:30 PM

Attention all members,
I just received billing from The Blade Show for my booth. Yesterday I received the request to send in the badge-holders names for the club tables. On the onset it would appear that the Blade Show is "going on"!
I have to admit, @ 71 years old, I have reservations about being stuck in an " A/C closed system" building for 4 days. I am staring this thread and writing this introduction to it for various reasons...but first: Please see my "exact response" sent back to The Blade Show folks.

"Due to the "turn of events" my position is (now) this:
* I will support The Blade Show "IF" the show goes on..."AND" if Florida residents are allowed safe passage with no quarantines.
* I will fill all 10 RKCC "Club Tables" and will chair our annual meeting in Room #103 @ 8:00 am on Saturday morning.
* I will not set up a booth.
I'm 71 years old and I (If I had any sense) would not (or should not) even be in a closed A/C system with all of the possibilities of Covid-19 being spread, despite everyone's (alleged) great effort.
Please advise if this is acceptable and I will provide all pertinent names for badges. Half of the RKCC members, setting up their fine displays, do not even want to come and I am torn, even asking them to.
Stay sharp, Captain Chris Stanaback
Founder: RKCC & RKCA"

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 06/25/20 03:33 PM

<<<SECONDLY>>>
I need input. I want to know your feelings in this regard and I also want to know:
* Who's "IN"
* Who's "NOT IN"
I do not anyone coming or setting up for the RKCC unless it is of their own free will!

Thanks, Capt. Chris
Posted by: Eric

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 06/25/20 04:00 PM

Have your meeting over Zoom or MS Team. Support it but I am hoping we all stay away from such environments. The restrooms will be a hot bed for catching this protein. Just my 2 cents. I am still the only one who goes out for carry-out or groceries. Can’t trust the other 4 knuckleheads I live with,
Posted by: Wally

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 06/25/20 04:52 PM

The way this stuff is trending, it's not looking good.
Posted by: REK

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 06/25/20 05:27 PM

Capt. - As Wally said, the current trend isn’t good. I don’t doubt that there are many others who feel the way you do. I expect the Blade show will be much less well attended by both exhibitors and visitors this year. It’s disappointing, but I’ll be one of those staying away.

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 06/25/20 05:55 PM

Not to piss on anybody's Cheerios but 25% of the club don't own a smart phone. 10% don't even own any type of cell phone and, in total, 25% (or so) don't even own (& NEVER) plan to own any type of computer. For many, RMK news is still quite & very: "OLD SCHOOL"!
Best, Capt. Chris
Posted by: BladesNBarrels

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 06/25/20 06:22 PM

Hi Capt.
I am doing all of my meetings in the virtual world on an old laptop that is the only computer I have that actually has a camera built in - old tech.
I am using Zoom, GoToMeeting, Webex, and a couple of proprietary programs. These 3 work well internationally - Canada, Britain, Australia, and the European Union (What is left of it).
Each took about an hour prep work to get set up, familiar with the buttons and controls, and to sync it in.
Mitchell is still planning to be at our booth, Booth 6, and I was going to send him some knives to set out, but I don't think either one of us was going to set up a display in the Club area.
I will truly miss seeing everyone and miss attending the RKCC meeting in person. If you decide to try a virtual meeting, I am all in.
Thank you for your planning and attention to this.

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 06/25/20 06:28 PM

Wally,
So...At this point in time, are you and the lovely Lori a yes or a no? I want no one obligated,,,but I need to plan...and I've waited just about as long as I can.
OH yes: BTW: AGCA gun & knife show is "on" for July 18-19 and I'll be there!
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 06/25/20 06:42 PM

I'm out. I believe the current trend is just gonna leave the show in ruins. Other dealers are opting out, and other displayers are out. Not what I want, but the way it is. Now if a miracle happens, I'll revisit...
Posted by: Lori

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 06/25/20 06:50 PM

Chris,
Wally failed to mention that my mom is having knee replacement mid August and I can't take the chance getting exposed because I will be taking care of her when she comes home. I will so miss seeing my knife family!!
Posted by: CrazyCajun

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 06/25/20 06:57 PM

Hey Capt', as you know... once again, I was not able to attend this year. However, If I had been planning to, I would not!

I run a major Travel Sports Venue for Seminole County and today was our 1st day of opening for travel tournaments. This event went from 80 teams last year to 30 this year. We have teams and umpires from 13 states and several that canceled from NY/NJ/Conn due to the 14 day mandatory quarantine! Next week to be very similar, multiple states involved.

I work directly with the Director of Emergency Management as my team directly handles all Hurricane and Evacuation shelters. The info is more accurate than TV or social media.

My best decision for myself, family, coworkers, and friends... unfortunately is to stay home.

I'll be shopping the forum, sites and great dealers and people on this forum!
Posted by: tunefink

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 06/25/20 07:10 PM

As David said above, I am planning to be there.

I have concerns about the displays. One, it's just more stuff to manage and sanitize. I am also concerned that we will not have people to watch over them..... Like Lori and Wally above.

It would better if they moved them back in the main room.
Posted by: CrazyCajun

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 06/25/20 07:41 PM

With potentially fewer attendees... There should again be more room to get them into the main room. Good Point!!

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 06/25/20 07:42 PM

I spoke with Alicia, at length, today. She likes our club tables (& The Chatahoochee knife clubs) tables "where they are" as they are not interfering with flow in the lobby.
Buck's club tables are reduced from 25 to about "10". I have left the door open with her and her me on "all of this". I will have "1" table inside for trade purposes. That deal was ironed out today.
I know it will not be what it usually is..."BUT"...they (Blade Show) have 3500 pre-sold tickets for the public and, of course "no international" tickets. It may be better than we think. One thing is: Less competition!
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 06/25/20 07:57 PM

Put me in as a solid maybe on the displays. If we can secure enough people to keep them manned, I will display.

I want to support the effort, but I am not going to leave my knives unattended.

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 06/26/20 08:45 AM

Tune, we'll come watch the display and keep it wiped down if you're coming.

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 06/26/20 10:54 AM

As Spiro Agnew mentioned in the 70's, I don't want to be one of the "nattering nabobs of negativism", But, (One of the Capt's favorite words) even Colorado with its stricter containment efforts is experiencing an increase of cases and hospitalizations. There is talk of maybe imposing quarantines on returning from out-of-state travel. I haven't cancelled my reservations in Atlanta at the Residence Inn, but (again), at my age (more than that youngster Capt. Chris), barring a sudden advance with a vaccine, I will still probably pass.
Wally and Lori, you are troopers to keep the Club Tables actively monitored. Kudos!
Posted by: Billy Poyner

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 06/26/20 01:32 PM

Ken and I will be there,displaying and pulling guard duty.
I haven't made up my mind as to what I will display this year.

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 06/26/20 04:18 PM

Well, that settles it. I'll be there!
Posted by: Lori

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 06/26/20 05:45 PM

So, It appears that I will be at Blade. Looks like I will have to self quarantine when I come back from Hotlanta. My mom's surgery has not been scheduled yet, so we will plan for the end of August. She is going to a short term facility for rehab a couple of weeks, before she comes home. I hope to see you at the display tables!
Posted by: Duke

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 06/27/20 01:00 PM

This was the first year I had everything worked out to finally make it to BLADE.
EVERYTHING.....but the damn COVID-19.....& had been so excited for months.
But using my normal problem solving skills, it just ain’t on the side of the list of
“Things worth dying for”...& I ain’t no weannie. I do have to consider the others counting on me to make good decisions.
I’ll happily attend and support any “virtual” anything BUT already am, and it’s a poor substitute that comes under “better than nothing.” It just seems to be the option presented for best choice in many, many daily decisions right now.
Posted by: Sharpi

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 06/27/20 10:18 PM

Capt
Ain't worth it
Stay Home
We miss ya as it is
Sharpi
Posted by: spark42

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 06/27/20 10:23 PM

Capt.
As of right now, Doc Bill and my plans are still the same. We plan on displaying and manning the tables. I appreciate all the members that bring a display. One of the best part of Blade is looking at the displays and talking to people that walk up.
And of course, spending time with the other members manning the tables.

Dennis

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 06/30/20 08:53 PM

Georgia's Governor Kemp has extended the States emergency guidelines to August 11th. If this will affect BLADE, I do not know.

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/04/20 07:01 PM

I have been thinking abut this while on the road. I will not be bringing a display. It just adds contact and complexity.

"If" I attend, it's my intention to put two tables across the front of my booth with closed glass cases. I will "quarantine" behind the tables.

I think it's 50/50 if the state allows it. Just my 2 cents.

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/05/20 06:55 AM

I have told Alicia we need (The Club, that is) 6-8 tables "inside" the main hall. She understands and is working on it.
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/09/20 09:36 AM

I spoke with Art Green and Gary Clinton. Neither are attending.

I have an email out to Tommy Clark.

I am not trying to sway people, but we should expect a much smaller show.
Posted by: GCTom41

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/09/20 11:01 AM

Cap & Mitchell,

I still have not cancelled but there is a 14-day quarantine if/when I come back from Georgia. If that remains I am out.

Tom Flynn

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/09/20 11:36 AM

Did Blade Show provide an updated diagram of how they were configuring the show to provide proper spacing for distancing?
Here in Colorado, our local drag racing track, Bandimere Speedway, is being summoned to court for violating the 175 people limit they agreed to with the Health Dept. over the 4th of July.
They had attendance of 7500 and only requested that people practice social distancing.
The owner said he could not survive with only 175 spectators.
I am sure everyone is experiencing similar stories.

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/09/20 11:44 AM

No map yet David, just a list which is not accurate. Here is a statement from the website.

Later this month, we will be posting safety guidelines and recommendations for both our exhibitors and our attendees. This information will include precautions the Cobb Galleria will be taking as well as Show Management. They will also outline procedures for registration lines, and social distancing where applicable. At that time, mask requirements will also be addressed.
It is the goal of the Cobb Galleria and the BLADE Show Staff to make the show experience enjoyable and safe throughout the weekend.
Sincerely,
The BLADE Show Team

Cobb Galleria is hosting the "Build Expo" next weekend. It will be interesting to see if there is any feedback from that event.

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/09/20 11:44 AM

All I can tell you, David, is Georgia ain’t Colorado...thank God! I do not know if any decisions have been made, other than what Alicia has told me. She stated that Blade would “request” and “encourage” everyone wear masks.
Sad thing about all of this is the “not-knowing”...
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/09/20 05:33 PM

Great Eastern Cutlery just canceled their annual Rendezvous Show scheduled for the same weekend as Blade Show.

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/09/20 05:52 PM

RKCC members and friends,
This is not a pleasant post...but necessary. A lot of speculation going on as to the if and if nots, the why and why nots concerning the Blade Show.
I just got off the phone with Alicia and, according to her, the show will go on. That is good news (sorta'). It's a mixed bag, to be sure, but it will give folks something to do other than what "has been" available.
I also recently just got off the phone with Scott and need to share some "stuff" with all of you. GTR (Gary Randall) has suggested, to all Randall personnel, that it would not be in their (or the shop's) best interest to attend this year's Blade Show. I cannot disagree with that statement.
GTR's concerns are, not only about Covid 19, but security and well being of all in attendance. There has been a significant increase in shootings and other violent acts in and around the Atlanta, Ga. area of late.
It is because of all of this GTR has concerns. Scott informed me that no one from The Randall Shop will be attending this year's Blade Show. I cannot disagree with that either.
OK now: What about "us"? Well: I can't speak for all of you but my stance is: "If the Randall Shop is advising all to stay away..."I'M" staying away too!
I informed Alicia that I would not be attending and would not require RKCC club display tables or our meeting room this year. It's an official "scrub" for me! I hate it but it's just not in the cards for me to ask members to (possibly) put themselves in harm's way for the sake of me...or the club!
Tony & I are working hard on a "KNIFE KNEWS" and that will happen. A new club-offering will be featured amongst those pages, that's for sure! ALL RKCC/RKCA members, good standing or not, will get a copy, if desired.
RKCC-RKCA club dues are not required this year and any that have been or will be paid will pay that member up through June of 2022! This, as you can see, is "not" about the money...but, after all, it's Randall Made Knives: This other bad shit is "Life Itself"!
Stay Sharp, Capt. Chris
Posted by: RamKingJC

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/09/20 05:52 PM

We got good news today about some of the people we care for the most, NOT going to Blade. I hope more of y'all come to senses...

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/09/20 06:57 PM

My Cousin had just retired. Living in Chandler, AZ he and his wife decided to go to an RV show in Phoenix. 12 days later they both got sick. On July 4th just 7 days from showing the first signs, cough and fever, my Cousin could not breath and his wife called 911. He died 4 hours after arriving at the hospital. His wife is still battling COVID. I know if they had to do it over, they would have stayed home.

Great call by RMK And you Captain Chris.

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/09/20 07:41 PM

Lori and I are out. Sorry to hear about your loss, Eric.
Posted by: Windsor

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/09/20 07:48 PM

Eric, sorry about your loss, prayers for you and your cousin's family.

Thanks for the update, Capt.

I've been "on the fence" about going for the past couple of weeks, which is why I haven't jumped in. This pretty much seals the deal for me -- save my money.

If the club newsletter is printed before November, please bring an extra copy with you to Tulsa (assuming we're mostly done with the Covidz by then).
Posted by: pappy19

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/09/20 08:27 PM

Stressful times for sure, but under the circumstances, it makes sense to not attend. Also, Atlanta has consistently become more dangerous over the years. It was bad 20 years ago when I was still marketing. It just isn't worth the chance and it sure looks like a different city might be considered in the future.

Pap
Posted by: coachblalock

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/09/20 09:25 PM

Eric:

That's horrible!!!!

Coach
Posted by: Salty Cracker

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/09/20 09:37 PM

@Eric, condolences.
Well all of the above has made up my mind, I'm out too.
Thanks for the update.

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/09/20 10:19 PM

Very sad. So many are losing loved ones. Roberto De Niro said it best, it’s like we are watching a Sci-fi movie but it’s for real.

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/09/20 11:42 PM

Wayne Dee Jordan is a perfect example. I am bad worried about him. He is in a high risk age group. You will not find a better man. Hard on my mind......

Eric, I am sorry to hear of your loss. One of my key managers has it. So far, not severe.

Y'all wash your hands.
Posted by: GCTom41

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/10/20 05:49 AM

I am out. Thanks to the Cap and GTR for the tough but right decision and guidance.

Will miss you all but hope that this shall pass without further deaths and hospitalizations. Next year we can all hoist one or two together at Blade 2021!

Stay safe.

Tom Flynn
Posted by: TonyLaPetri

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/10/20 09:50 AM

Eric,
So Sorry for your loss.

Tony
Posted by: Duke

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/10/20 01:25 PM

Very sorry, Eric, that this deadly virus has come so close and impacted your family. I’m so very glad to hear all of you guys who are so far canceling your Blade plans. I’ve resisted, for many reasons, strongly urging this but really struggle with so many folks making different decisions every day. If any of you are yourselves, or your loved family member, having to suit up in protective layers every morning and then strip on the porch, bag your clothes and disinfect every evening; and have been doing this since mid-March, it has truly changed the way you view the world and make decisions every day. This year I’ve finally built the outside shower. And it’s been used every day since late April. I’m not the one but wish it was me instead of my wife who goes to work at her hospital everyday. I’m proud of her but........ And more than one of her colleagues have caught it.
Anyway it just ain’t the time to go ahead and go on the beach vacation “you really deserve”, or prove what a man you are by not wearing the mask. I truly hope that not just me but she too gets to make Blade, raise a glass and meet some of you good folks another year.

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/10/20 01:30 PM

Thanks for the kind words. John was a tough but generous spirit. Survived Vietnam and Desert Storm in his 21 years in the USAF. At 65 he retired a second time and was looking forward to flying the RV6 he built and traveling America with his wife of 46 years. Our prayers are with Rose who is now battling this virus by herself. Virtual hugs are not as effective as the needed hugs one needs at these times.

Wear a mask in public. Small price to pay and it’s been proven to help reduce the spread.

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/10/20 06:27 PM

Eric,
I am sorry to hear about John.
My condolences to you and your family.
Stay safe!

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/12/20 11:05 AM

Well...I guess we shall hear from "others" who attend this year's drastically reduced Blade show as to how it is/was. Meanwhile, those of us who have "come to our senses" (Thanks for that one James) will move on to other things for the time being.
As for me, seeing as how I have (obviously) "not" come to my senses, I'll be attending the AGCA (Alabama Gun Collectors Assoc.) show in Hoover, Al. this upcoming weekend. I know of more than a "few" fellow forum members (& RKCC club members) who have lost their "sense" of direction that will be joining me there!
I'll (we'll) keep you posted...to be continued.
Stay Sharp, Capt. Chris
Posted by: LarryWW1246

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/12/20 08:43 PM

Unfortunately, see some posts in other places along these lines:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...ebook-post.html

Ohio man, 37, dies from coronavirus after claiming the pandemic which has killed more than 135,000 people was just 'hype' in a Facebook post

Richard Rose, 37, died on July 4, four days after testing positive for coronavirus
A US Army veteran, he loved social media, paranormal, NASCAR and NFL
He was fervent in support of Trump, writing: 'I’m glad to call him MY PRESIDENT'
In an April 28 Facebook post, Rose declared that he wasn't buying into the 'hype'
He also made it clear that he would not be wearing a mask as recommended
But on July 1 Rose started feeling ill and wrote that he had COVID-19 symptoms
That same day he announced positive test results and that he'd be quarantining
He died at home in Port Clinton, Ohio, on July 4

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/16/20 01:21 PM

OK: Bulletin!!
Although it may not be "official" news as of yet...It's the "truth". The Blade Show is officially cancelled!
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris

Re: BLADE SHOW STATUS...(I think)????? - 07/16/20 07:24 PM

It's official.

Email received...... from Blade.