Need your help

Posted by: Sidney_Redford

Need your help - 03/21/20 03:19 PM

Can someone give me an idea of what this handle material is. I am going to sell it on e-bay and I would like to give a correct description of it. It is in butcher paper but I don't think it is from Randall as it doesn't have all of their shortcuts printed on it. I think it was probably done by the person I bought it from.
Posted by: tunefink

Re: Need your help - 03/21/20 03:26 PM

Looks like ivorite.
Posted by: Chief

Re: Need your help - 03/21/20 08:22 PM

I agree with Tune.
No checks or color.

Re: Need your help - 03/21/20 10:48 PM

Thanks guys.
Posted by: crutchtip

Re: Need your help - 03/22/20 09:30 AM

That is not "ivorite", as in Westinghouse, which I reserve that name for. I think folks get confused using "ivorite" as a generic term for white handle material from Randall, even if they refer to it as such.

That is the stuff on the pictured knife from the 2000's they were using.

Ask Stanaback, he is more up to speed on the later white handle material.
Posted by: tunefink

Re: Need your help - 03/22/20 09:35 AM

The Randall Shop calls it ivorite today.... on their website.

(B-3) Ivorite: Available on small and medium knives and bowies, with the exception of the #12-11" Smithsonian. Not available on full-tang knives.
Price: $60

Re: Need your help - 03/22/20 10:07 AM

That is what I said in my post. It has become a generic term but is inaccurate from a collectors standpoint. Particularly newer collectors that may think they are getting Westinghouse material when in fact they are not.

For collectors, Ivorite is Westinghouse material, not Antique Gold, or the white with the black specks, and any other stuff the shop has come up with to replace Westinghouse "Ivorite''. My .02.
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Need your help - 03/22/20 10:43 AM

Thanks for the referral Joe. This material...on this knife is cataloged as Ivorite micarta. It is not of the same properties as the Westinghouse material other than some of the production processes. It remains white and does not darken (yellow if you will). I am posting a #24 to my website, right now, with the same handle material and it appears to be linen-based but could be paper, although the "grain" looks like fabric to me.
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris
PS: On a knife, coming standard with a leather handle, (which your's is) the Ivorite is an upcharge (2020 pricing) of $60.00...CCS

Re: Need your help - 03/22/20 11:23 AM

There ya go.

My point to this is irrespective of what the RMK catalog says, the only collectible material is the Westinghouse material aka "Old Yeller". RMK has tried to replace that for decades with an "ivorite", but really has in catalog name reference only.

Like Cap says, the properties of the Westinghouse material are different than its replacement(s). The yellowing of the material is what sets it apart.

I get from the shop perspective, it is a white handle material like the rest, but it isn't, and hasn't been for decades. Again, my .02.
Posted by: alan_grombacher

Re: Need your help - 03/22/20 11:40 AM

Use doesn’t darken the new ivorite. That Denmark Special that I received from one of the builds has been bloody and muddy a few times, and it is still bright white after getting cleaned up.

These are great discussions. I always enjoy listening to the history and opinions here. thanks.
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Need your help - 03/22/20 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: crutchtip
That is not "ivorite", as in Westinghouse, which I reserve that name for. I think folks get confused using "ivorite" as a generic term for white handle material from Randall, even if they refer to it as such.

Same can be said of "Micarta", yes?

Re: Need your help - 03/22/20 04:51 PM

Don't understand what you are asking
Posted by: Windsor

Re: Need your help - 03/22/20 08:28 PM

"Micarta" is a trademark of Westinghouse.

The industry term for the material is something along the lines of "phenolic laminate"

Re: Need your help - 03/23/20 03:27 PM

I found paper work on this knife and the seller said it was white micarta.
Posted by: Tom Vaught

Re: Need your help - 03/24/20 06:17 PM

Sidney, I bought 4 Knives that looked just like the knife in the picture from Tom Clinton years ago.

Very nice knives with the white material but still just regular Randall Made Knives.

Tom V.