Hilts: Round vs Squared question

Posted by: rodbrown

Hilts: Round vs Squared question - 11/30/19 12:03 PM

This question came up a day or so ago. I have looked through threads here, but can’t find an answer.
On new knives, you can specify round or squared hilts. Has this always been the case? If not, about what time period were we given a choice.
Posted by: Holzinger258

Re: Hilts: Round vs Squared question - 11/30/19 03:18 PM

Here is a thread with a discussion of square hilts:
Go to "Randall Made Knives," then go to "Knives of the Week...," then to "RMK #28." The discussion begins a little over halfway down page 9, and continues on page 10.
Posted by: Captain Chris Stanaback

Re: Hilts: Round vs Squared question - 11/30/19 03:44 PM

Rod,
As with many things Randall, there are exceptions..."BUT"...(I feel much better now)...many models, which come standard with the newer (rounder) version, can be ordered "SQH" at no additional charge.
Model #28?...No! Here's a Divers I recently sold that came out last month. Hope this helps.
Stay sharp, Capt. Chris

Re: Hilts: Round vs Squared question - 11/30/19 03:49 PM

Thank you Steve and Cap. The muddy water is a bit clearer.
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Hilts: Round vs Squared question - 11/30/19 05:45 PM

That’s been going on for a good while now Rod. I recall Dale Dorris and I discussing the hilt configuration, and that’s been a good 10/12 years ago. Both he and I favored the squared off style.

How long before that, I can’t tell you ??
Interesting question though !!

Re: Hilts: Round vs Squared question - 11/30/19 08:33 PM

Hi Michael

From what little I read, there are no hard and fast dates for when round/square started or stopped. But (trying to sound like the Cap) I will get out books and see if I can find out anymore info.

Re: Hilts: Round vs Squared question - 11/30/19 09:34 PM

Ballpark: mid-late 1980's
Best, Capt. Chris

Re: Hilts: Round vs Squared question - 12/01/19 07:02 AM

Cap

Thank you for your help.

Re: Hilts: Round vs Squared question - 12/01/19 07:31 AM

With the advent of Johnny Johnson entering the picture & Maurice Johnson exiting (around 1985) I noticed more round hilts. I know this wasn't the reason for rounded hilts, just the approximate time. By the time Sullivans took over (from late 1980's-early 1990's) round hilts were the norm.
I'm sure, although I haven't the time right now, that someone could look through catalog printings (& dates) and notice these changes were about the same time period. So...not an "exact" but a "close" dating window at least.
Hope this helps, Capt. Chris

Re: Hilts: Round vs Squared question - 12/01/19 08:30 AM

Cap

It helps a lot. Thank you. I never gave any thought to all of this until a few days ago.

Jokingly, after Tide’s loss yesterday, good to see you posting. I thought you would be on suicide watch. I checked in with Billy. He was pretty sad!!
Posted by: Cut it out

Re: Hilts: Round vs Squared question - 12/24/19 10:24 PM

My model 15 airman has a squared hilt. I prefer the rounded ones as they can be pointy on the corners in certain grip holdings.