Buyer beware

Posted by: Wally

Buyer beware - 11/06/19 09:29 PM

Fake. Certainly not Vietnam era

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Randall-Knife-M...e-/312833982128
Posted by: JE6245

Re: Buyer beware - 11/07/19 11:56 AM

Wally, what tells you that it's a fake and/or not Vietnam era? I know that the RMK folks don't like to share "tells" for reasons I understand but if you are willing to share I think that would be interesting for folks.
Posted by: crutchtip

Re: Buyer beware - 11/07/19 12:27 PM

I received and email several days ago from a fellow that "bought" this piece. He wanted me to evaluate it, which of course I can't do without having the knife in hand. However, this piece is so bad, that it wasn't necessary.

First, the sheath and stone appear legit, as does the Tenite handle material. The problem is the blade looks as though it could have been made yesterday. Hilt is the wrong shape for the period.

Why someone would take a good sheath and stone and fabricate a newer knife to look older is troubling.

I am curious as to where they got the tenite handle. Perhaps they had a knife that was in such a poor state, that all they could do was salvage the handle material.

Note that I do not recall ever seeing a stainless marked blade with a tenite handle, and I have seen allot. If one were to exist, it would have to be "SS" stamped, or a low "S" at a minimum.
Posted by: TAH

Re: Buyer beware - 11/07/19 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: crutchtip
The problem is the blade looks as though it could have been made yesterday.

Hmm, must be a replacement blade. Gotta love the shop for their high level of service. grin

Re: Buyer beware - 11/07/19 02:52 PM

Joe touched on everything I saw wrong. The dead giveaway is the "inclusive S" stamp, found on blades produced after 1969. That's really where the fakery lies. The sheath would be mismatched to a genuine tenite knife as well, the gold paracord would be found early 1970s. Using a good sheath with a faked up knife could trick the unsuspecting... it's a shame, and a sham!
Posted by: crutchtip

Re: Buyer beware - 11/07/19 03:31 PM

Wally -

that stamp is far removed from 1969-70. The first inclusive stamp can be confused with a separate "S" because of the distance between the right scimitar and the "S". Once you get familiar with it, the difference is clear between separate "S", first inclusive, and subsequent inclusive stamps.

The blade in question could be a 1990's, 2000's, etc.

Re: Buyer beware - 11/07/19 04:41 PM

I agree 100%, great info.
Posted by: rodbrown

Re: Buyer beware - 11/07/19 05:26 PM

Joe and Wally

Thank for the great discussion. I was with Wally ref: the blade stamp being too new. But to "refresh" us all, on the different aspects of this knife, is great.
Posted by: JE6245

Re: Buyer beware - 11/08/19 08:45 AM

Yes, great information. Thanks folks.
Posted by: Leatherman

Re: Buyer beware - 11/12/19 06:43 PM

Do we think it's a shop ground blade? The final grind doesn't look so legit to me.
Posted by: nate-dogg

Re: Buyer beware - 11/12/19 06:58 PM

Somebody took the bait. It's pushing $2k!

Re: Buyer beware - 11/12/19 07:59 PM

More reason to do your homework. I'd hate to drop 2K on a forgery when a $100 book would have educated and entertained me, and ultimately saved me such an expensive, foolish mistake.
Posted by: Michael_Mason

Re: Buyer beware - 11/12/19 09:07 PM

They’ll pay that for the knife Warren, but think you’re crazy asking a 100.00$ for the book.. Go figure !!
Posted by: W Polidori

Re: Buyer beware - 11/12/19 09:09 PM

Huh? Michael, not me. I think you mean Wally. Thanks for thinking of me though, lol.
Posted by: tunefink

Re: Buyer beware - 11/16/19 08:47 AM

It sold for $2250. I know the buyer via a previous eBay transaction and have sent him an email alerting him to the issue. We will see.